Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? (13143 Views)

Poll: Vote for the player of the season:

Lionel Messi: 70% (120 votes)
Wayne Rooney: 29% (50 votes)
This poll has ended

Drogba Vs Rooney: Who Is Better? / Who Has Been The Best Defender So Far In Premier League This 2009/10? / Martins Vs Rooney, Who Is The Best??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by enroe(m): 12:04am On Mar 21, 2010
There is this interesting banter going on over about comparisons being made between Argentina’s Lionel Messi and England’s Wayne Rooney. The expectations for each of these young forwards seem to be increasing each day we move closer to the World Cup. It is only natural that people are comparing the two.

I personally think Messi is better than any player on the planet at this point in time, I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking it. Please whats your own view?
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by olaitan009: 10:26am On Mar 21, 2010
Dis is very difficult 2 compair,because i'm a fans of both player,Rooney is good at scoring fantastic goals as at when needed,he is good in creating deadly passes n disturbing d defender,infact he is a complete striker,while messi on d other hand is good at ditribling,passes n also disturbance,his scoring form as now increased,I think messi is better
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by creampy(f): 11:51am On Mar 21, 2010
rooney
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by snowdrops(m): 12:50pm On Mar 21, 2010
creampy:

rooney
Sharrup there.

Do you know anything about football at all?

All these children that started following football from the 90s onwards.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by enroe(m): 5:59pm On Mar 21, 2010
snowdrops:

Sharrup there.

Do you know anything about football at all?

All these children that started following football from the 90s onwards.
ah ah why now let her share her opinion bros, lol
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by abrahym(m): 8:30pm On Mar 21, 2010
Ima united fan but let forget sentiment, i guess messi.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by maxtop(m): 12:28pm On Mar 22, 2010
it is Messi all the way, the guy is from another planet entirely
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by sayso: 12:28pm On Mar 22, 2010
did you see how Messi destroyed man united together with Ronaldo and Rooney combine
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by SamMilla1(m): 12:34pm On Mar 22, 2010
Rooney of course. He is currently the best striker on this planet.
Followed by Messi and Drogba
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by zenus(m): 12:42pm On Mar 22, 2010
messi
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by DoubleN(m): 12:44pm On Mar 22, 2010
I am a loyal Man Utd fan but i just have to say the Truth. If you are talking about our World,it just has to be Rooney because Messi is in another world of his own. That dude is definitely from Pandora!!!! grin shocked shocked
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by HARDDON: 12:49pm On Mar 22, 2010
WOW, OUTA BREATH, I am a MAN UTD fan, and wiv sentiments, Rooney, wivout, Rooney!
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by chrisrock(m): 12:52pm On Mar 22, 2010
a
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by chrisrock(m): 12:53pm On Mar 22, 2010
Am not a Barcelona fan but i think Lionel Messi is DA BOMB
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by kidonig: 12:58pm On Mar 22, 2010
Before you vote, please watch yesterday's match btw Barca and Zaragoza. Rooney is good but there is a big gulf in class btw him and Messi. Its even an insult to compare them as it brings Messi down to Rooney's level.

I almost threw my baby away while I was watching the 3rd goal yesterday. 2 Hatricks in a week!!!

I pity Arsenal this week. I was wishing that it would have been ManU that Barca will meet so that you can discuss this thread better after the match.

Damn!!!
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by ritchboy(m): 1:00pm On Mar 22, 2010
Rooney would be honored to lick Messi's studs!
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by snowdrops(m): 1:03pm On Mar 22, 2010
kidonig:

Before you vote, please watch yesterday's match btw Barca and Zaragoza. Rooney is good but there is a big gulf in class btw him and Messi. Its even an insult to compare them as it brings Messi down to Rooney's level.

I almost threw my baby away while I was watching the 3rd goal yesterday. 2 Hatricks in a week!!!

I pity Arsenal this week. I was wishing that it would have been ManU that Barca will meet so that you can discuss this thread better after the match.

Damn!!!
Bless you brother
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by tboy1(m): 1:04pm On Mar 22, 2010
kidonig:

Damn!!!

ppl keep forgetting there is a difference between la liga and premiership
Messi will not have scored half of the goals he's done if he was in the premiership, defenders in england would have showed him.
For now i'll go with Rooney
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by harmeenut: 1:05pm On Mar 22, 2010
Pls watch the 3 goals especially goal no 2 scored by Messi yesterday and confirm if he's better than rooney or not.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by tboy1(m): 1:09pm On Mar 22, 2010
^^ i have watched both - last weekend and this
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Wahala90: 1:11pm On Mar 22, 2010
Who started this topic? Comparing both players presently is not fair. Messi is like the Maradona of this era. He has everything that Rooney has PLUS superb dribbling and creativity. Rooney is good but this English press always know how to blow their trumpet.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by kidonig: 1:14pm On Mar 22, 2010
tboy1:

ppl keep forgetting there is a difference between la liga and premiership
Messi will not have scored half of the goals he's done if he was in the premiership, defenders in england would have showed him.
For now i'll go with Rooney

So by what you are saying, La Liga is poorer than the Barclays Premiership? Was it La Liga that voted Messi Numero Uno in the world? Was it not Barca that beat ManU last year with the so called defenders that you are pointing out?

The thing is that most people just watch the Barclays Premiership as Nigeria is an English speaking country so it is what is most available. My guy, you really need to watch this guy play before you comment.

Another important point is that Messi takes this world easy and smiles even when you bring him down. He is smallish but Just like Shaun Wright-Phillips, he more than makes up for his size by having an immense speed and flexibility.

Rooney is brute. He always curses. Watch his mouth when a decision goes against him and see. Ask yourself, if you are a business man and you want to sign either of them to advertise your product, who will you go for?
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by tboy1(m): 1:17pm On Mar 22, 2010
^^ did you read my post at all?
Read my post well den come back & reply

If messi comes to england, he wont score half of the goals he's scoring. He is good but not as good as Rooney
p.s: Im an arsenal supporter
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Mar 22, 2010
Presently,I'd have to shade it in Messi's favour.
Roo has the edge in that he can pick out opponents with passes,long and short range.
Messi's advantage is that his close-control is superb.
However Messi cannot lead the line;he's got to play off someone to be effective.Roo does that very well.Roo's problem is his finishing.If he were more lethal he'd have scored more by now.
At least it's my opinion
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by deb(m): 1:21pm On Mar 22, 2010
Sam Milla:

Rooney of course. He is currently the best striker on this planet.
Followed by Messi and Drogba

Oga Messi is not even really a striker, he is a mildfielder.

I wonder what the person who started this thread was thinking about to be insulting Messi by asking us to compare him with Rooney?
Rooney wetin? Messi is clearly the better player no room for comparison. In case you need to know, I am no Barca fan am a gunner fan all the way.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by enekwizu14(m): 1:24pm On Mar 22, 2010
who dey ask kind question,of course its LIONEL MESSI.for me o,i dnt knw about any other person,remove messi from a game in the current barca squad,they will fall like a pack of cards.thats my own opinion.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by tboy1(m): 1:27pm On Mar 22, 2010
deb:

Oga Messi is not even really a striker, he is a mildfielder.

I wonder what the person who started this thread was thinking about to be insulting Messi by asking us to compare him with Rooney?
Rooney wetin? Messi is clearly the better player no room for comparison. In case you need to know, I am no Barca fan am a gunner fan all the way.

Barcelona play 4 - 3 - 3
3 strikers upfront
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Mar 22, 2010
kidonig:

So by what you are saying, La Liga is poorer than the Barclays Premiership? Was it La Liga that voted Messi Numero Uno in the world? Was it not Barca that beat ManU last year with the so called defenders that you are pointing out?
Rooney is brute. He always curses. Watch his mouth when a decision goes against him and see. Ask yourself, if you are a business man and you want to sign either of them to advertise your product, who will you go for?
Dude it's a fact.La Liga is wack.Check out their team's performances this season in europe.And check the gulf in class between Real/Barca and the rest of the La Liga table.
The Barca United final was a one-off.Over two legs the previous season,Barca couldn't score.Barca also has a poor record against Chelsea.They have never beaten Chelsea with 11 men.
Check your stats and see how many times English opposition have beaten spanish sides over contests decided by two games.
As for Rooney cursing,tell me which player doesn't do it.In fact, "Angel"Messi spat at an opponent last season and was banned for three games.
To me,Messi isn't better than Rooney in that department.
Besides,Messi hardly does it for Argentina at national team level.But rooney was top scorer in the World Cup qualifiers.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by cydophobia(m): 1:29pm On Mar 22, 2010
tboy,
from the way you talk i know u ar an arsenal fan.Meanwhile let me ask you this question who are the defenders in premiership that can mark messi or cage him.
the biggest defenders in premiership, name them ferdinard,vidic,evra,terry and so on always suffer from dis lad in all the encounter they had.
Dont worry let wait till dat day(arsenalvs barca).so that u can confirm by urself.
Hope u have soul cambell(baba lati) and gallas.
Let wait and see cheesy
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Meldrick(m): 1:31pm On Mar 22, 2010
This is just like saying the cat and the snail, which is faster. This is an insult to Messi. You should be comparing Rooney with Fernando Torres not Messi. Messi is far far far better. I doubt if people will even agree that Rooney is better than Torres because I personally don't agree.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Machine007: 1:37pm On Mar 22, 2010
Hey guys lets forget about the sentiment, Rooney is better than Messi.

Baca's success at the moment is a collective effort of all the players in the team but that of united can clearly be attributed to Ronney,s form, especially after the departure of Ronaldo.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by tboy1(m): 1:38pm On Mar 22, 2010
cydophobia:

tboy,
from the way you talk i know u ar an arsenal fan.Meanwhile let me ask you this question who are the defenders in premiership that can mark messi or cage him.
the biggest defenders in premiership, name them[b] ferdinard,vidic,evra,terry[/b] and so on always suffer from dis lad in all the encounter they had.
Dont worry let wait till dat day(arsenalvs barca).so that u can confirm by urself.
Hope u have soul cambell(baba lati) and gallas.
Let wait and see cheesy

Play messi against Stoke & Hull defenders / Midfielders & im sure messi will walk out on Crutches
England defenders dont give you time to do all wat messi does . . . they will bring you down
Arsenal Vs Barcelona is nearly here  smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sunderland Vs Arsenal (0 - 2) On 25th October 2014 / Women's Champions League El Classico Sets New Attendance World Record of 91,553 / FA Cup: Man City Vs Man United (2 - 3) On 8th January 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.