Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,176 members, 7,815,110 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? (13145 Views)

Poll: Vote for the player of the season:

Lionel Messi: 70% (120 votes)
Wayne Rooney: 29% (50 votes)
This poll has ended

Drogba Vs Rooney: Who Is Better? / Who Has Been The Best Defender So Far In Premier League This 2009/10? / Martins Vs Rooney, Who Is The Best??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by swaga007: 4:07pm On Mar 22, 2010
not again, hw u go dey compare messi wth rooney, infact messi go teach him aw to play futbol. now dat pple r comparing messi wth d likes of ronaldo(
brazil), ronaldinho n d likes. All hail d king Messiless! grin
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Sauron1: 4:11pm On Mar 22, 2010
dyabman:

oh common shut up! . . . Yawagasawa has scored 35 goals in 20 appearances in the J-league .

You are a fool.
Yawagasawa has done nowt in the J-league.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by dyabman(m): 4:24pm On Mar 22, 2010
~Sauron~:

You are a fool.
Yawagasawa has done nowt in the J-league.

You are the stupid one . . . check facts b4 coming here to defend ronaldo undecided
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by ilosiwaju: 4:35pm On Mar 22, 2010
Anytime i see ronaldinho, i feel less impressed by messi. . .dont know why sha, .maybe personal bias. grin
The only recent south-american magician that i feel will survive the EPL (even though his visits to england havent been too glorious for him)will be ronaldinho and thats because he is not only magical but magical+strong. Messi is a very good player but i think his ability usually gets grossly exaggerated. La liga where defenders are poor? When comparing messi to other players, why do messi/barca fans always focus on messi's own range ofskills and ignore other factors?
compare their work rate, selfishness, contribution to national team etc.
When ronaldinho was at his peak, both brazil and barca enjoyed him. You can not say the same about messi for argentina and we all know rooney is indispensable for the english squad. Barca beat man utd in the last Cl final and some dudes kept shouting messi. Was messi not there the previous season when paul scholes knocked barca out? oh. . .u forgot that.
Messi is a very good player but all in all, i'll pick rooney.

english press hype players but these south-american folks are just too overrated as well.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by geeman(m): 4:41pm On Mar 22, 2010
messi by miles
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by hbrednic: 4:47pm On Mar 22, 2010
Rooney is the man,any time any day.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by ibabalol: 5:02pm On Mar 22, 2010
i know Messi, he is a very good player
but who the hell is Rooney
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Ben13: 5:04pm On Mar 22, 2010
Rooney The comparison requires less argument. Messi, all the way.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by sirp2007: 5:05pm On Mar 22, 2010
its a pity we are comparing anybody with messi.see guys that guy messi is a ROBOT am of the opinion dat fifa & eufa should go & check if he is human.merciless MESSI is not a threat to defender but a nightmare to entire team(coach ,bench & supporters inclusive).this comparism is like  comparing maradona & gaza in 1986.MESSI is a final yr phd student while others are still in primary sch.that guy don take ftball to another level.A coach commented ysterday that MESSI is an improved version of maradona.
WARNING TO U ALL.when talking abt MESSI PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS use capital letter or bold.
notice i did nt mention the other person because it wud have been an insult.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by snowdrops(m): 5:16pm On Mar 22, 2010
Its a shame that this made it to the front page, and that we are having this discussion for that matter.
Rooney has one good season and yahoooo he is the best player ever. Last year it was C. Ronaldo /vs/ Messi. Next year who? Owen /vs/ Messi?
Messi has CONSISTENTLY performed year in year out. His first game was a HAT-TRICK against Real Madrid.
Common guys, its not April fools day yet.
This is Messi we are talking about here, not any other person. He is in a league of his own at present.
He typifies a world class player.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by JUO(m): 5:17pm On Mar 22, 2010
the guy is three in one, (messi) him dey use juju
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by saviola77(m): 5:18pm On Mar 22, 2010
there is no basis for comparison here; looney sorry rooney CANNOT stand on the same pedestal with messi
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by snowdrops(m): 5:20pm On Mar 22, 2010
sir-p2007:

its a pity we are comparing anybody with messi.see guys that guy messi is a ROBOT am of the opinion dat fifa & eufa should go & check if he is human.merciless MESSI is not a threat to defender but a nightmare to entire team(coach ,bench & supporters inclusive).this comparism is like  comparing maradona & gaza in 1986.MESSI is a final yr phd student while others are still in primary sch.that guy don take ftball to another level.A coach commented ysterday that MESSI is an improved version of maradona.
WARNING TO U ALL.when talking abt MESSI PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS use capital letter or bold.
notice i did nt mention the other person because it wud have been an insult.
Well said. However you are wrong in a way.
Messi is not a final yr PHD student. Thats an insult compared to the others.
Messi is not even a professor.
He is a PROFESSOR EMERITUS.
What is left for him to become a TRUE LEGEND is winning the world cup with Argentina.
Then his name can be put right at the top with people like PELE, DIEGO AMANDO MARADONNA and ZINEDINE ZIDANE.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by A40(m): 5:20pm On Mar 22, 2010
@Tboy
Ohh i see. So why do you think Messi has to come to England? What does he want to go and prove there? Why can't Rooney go to Spain? I don't remember Ronaldo,Zidane or Ronaldinho needing to play in the Premiership to be virtuosos at their trade
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by snowdrops(m): 5:23pm On Mar 22, 2010
A-40:

@Tboy
Ohh i see. So why do you think Messi has to come to England? What does he want to go and prove there? Why can't Rooney go to Spain? I don't remember Ronaldo,Zidane or Ronaldinho needing to play in the Premiership to be virtuosos at their trade
Emmm, bros, which station you dey watch you football?
You sure say no be alien satellite you dey receive?
Maybe your own dey show future matches grin
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by tboy1(m): 5:40pm On Mar 22, 2010
A-40:

@Tboy

Rooney will be a beast in La Liga - defenders will start calling in sick on match days against Rooney

Messi is good in Spain , Rooney is good in England.
PL is the toughest league in the world, so i'll go with rooney
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:42pm On Mar 22, 2010
There is no player like messi that guy is 10 years ahead of my man ronaldo and 13 years ahead of my most cherished footballer 4 now Roooooooooooney.Messi is not to ever be compared to any footballer it is a let down.
Eric catona
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by A40(m): 6:02pm On Mar 22, 2010
@Snowdrops
Awa ngbe cutlass o lo n yi tractor! Are you high on Alomo Bitters or which Ronaldo do you think i'm talking about?

@Tboy
Maybe toughness is all that matters to you and we can see how far that has led England in International footie. How would La Liga defenders call in sick when Rooney does not even have the requisite skills to flip em like pancake? Torres & Henry did not need toughness to shine in the Prem so why do you think Messi's case would be different
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by splashbaby(m): 6:04pm On Mar 22, 2010
Am a MAN U fan but but Messi is a better player than Rooney. But Rooney is in a class of his own still
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Henphil(m): 6:12pm On Mar 22, 2010
Nawa 0 chealse fanz.dat time wey ronaldo dey manutd una talk say hem no good.but now na una stil com cary dat una mouth say hem na world class player.if rooney comot 4rm manutd.una go say hem na d best striker wey una neva see am.why una no dey talk trth at d right time?
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by kobikwelu(m): 6:30pm On Mar 22, 2010
who are those ranting that cause the premier league is better than la liga, that makes rooney a better player,

am not suprised, y'all are dodging the question and are using the league as an excuse for rooney, thats pathetic.

when messi touches the ball, every1 holds their breathe(to see what he does with the ball)

the guy is single handedly carrying world ootball on his back.

now with the english press, i take their word with a truck load of salt. (always overhyping)-imagine one cow of an english commentator said that mikeal arteta should be in the spanish national team.

english league is better than la liga, yeah rite.

put the english and spanish teams on the pitch and lets see the result (u tink say na by gra gra)
the english team would be schooled.

its the same people that said barca would be defeated by man utd in the final.

man utd with their ginger (anderson,carrick, rooney, vidic, ferdinand, ronaldo and even scholes tooooo) were thorougly taught the rudiments of football.

its the same team from the la liga (so called weak team) that won every tin winable last season.

abegiiii the question is , WHO IS A BETTER PLAYER, and i boldy say MESSI (the guy is now being compared to maradona,zidane,best, pele,van basten, ruud guillit) who dey mention rooney name for the same league with these greats??

stop using their leagues as an excuse.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by dayokanu(m): 6:50pm On Mar 22, 2010
@Tboy

Ppl are funny sha.

Messi has to come to EPL to prove what?

Some even said Messi doesnt perform vs EPL opponent, when he scored that header in Rome was it against a UPS opponent?

Tell me the last time Rooney scored against a La Liga opponent to start with.

FYI he has played Villareal countless times and Barca 3 times at least
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by dayokanu(m): 6:59pm On Mar 22, 2010
Crynaldo has scored 15 goals in 18 appearances vs La Liga teams
Messi has scored 25 goals in 24 appearances vs the same La Liga teams

Crynaldo scored 31 in 34 appearances in the EPL yet someone tells me that the EPL is more difficult to score in.

Torres who was a monumental failure in Spain suddenly turned to a cult hero not to mention Roque Santa Cruz who hardly averaged 7 goals a season scored 20 in his first EPL season
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by sley4life(m): 7:02pm On Mar 22, 2010
Messi is far beta than rooney. No comparison here
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by sley4life(m): 7:02pm On Mar 22, 2010
Comparing Messi is like saying Mikel plays beta than Messi,
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Viciyke(m): 7:21pm On Mar 22, 2010
Rooney is always second best wen it comes 2 messi, infact, if their is no second best, rooney will be 10th best. Rooney is good especially his all round contribution to United, but wit messi, d guy is mesmirizing. grin grin grin
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by snowdrops(m): 7:22pm On Mar 22, 2010
A-40:

@Tboy
Ohh i see. So[b] why do you think Messi has to come to England[/b]? What does he want to go and prove there? Why can't Rooney go to Spain? I don't remember Ronaldo,Zidane or Ronaldinho needing to play in the Premiership to be virtuosos at their trade
A-40:

@Snowdrops
Awa ngbe cutlass o lo n yi tractor! Are you high on Alomo Bitters or which Ronaldo do you think i'm talking about?

Guy you need glasses.
How does Messi which you clearly wrote in your first post look like [b]Ronaldo [/b]which you thought you wrote.
Abeg go reboot your brain.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by snowdrops(m): 7:25pm On Mar 22, 2010
Viciyke:

Rooney is always second best wen it comes 2 messi, infact, if their is no second best, rooney will be 10th best. Rooney is good especially his all round contribution to United, but wit messi, d guy is mesmirizing. grin grin grin
No mind them. All these ppl clamouring for rooney are so funny. Even within the EPL he is not the most consistent player. This is the best season he has had by a mile. Drogba missed long periods due to injury and ANC yet he is only a few goals behind. DD has been amongst the higest goal scorers for every single season since signing for chelsea. Now that is a fantastic player you would want in your team. Not a ONE SEASON WONDER WAYNE RUBBISH IS.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Iyineda(m): 7:36pm On Mar 22, 2010
If you don't follow the Spanish La Liga often enough, then I'd understand how some of you can put R00ney above Messi. But of you do, please, respect yourselves. Although they don't play in the same position, although their style of play is different, overall you have to admit that Messi has an edge over the Englishman.

Barca isn't my favourite team, Man Utd is, BY FAR. So there's no bias here. Messi is simply waaaay on top. I still haven't gotten over Sunday's game against Zaragoza. No Messi = Zaragoza 2 - Barca 0. Watch the match on tape, DVD, Bluray, online. You will notice just how much he lifts up the whole team all by himself. True genius.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by snowdrops(m): 7:47pm On Mar 22, 2010
Everyone supporting Messi, wait until he plays against my team Arsenal, Sylvestre go pocket am grin
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by snowdrops(m): 7:52pm On Mar 22, 2010
Memorable quotes after Zaragoza match on sunday;

"I'm not sure he's human," said the Zaragoza playmaker Ander Herrera of Messi's display in their 4-2 defeat. "Tonight, I saw Diego Maradona," declared the Real Zaragoza coach José Aurelio Gay, "but at more revs per minute. There are no words left to describe him – he is interplanetary. We could have beaten Barcelona but we could never have beaten Leo Messi. If we had scored four, he would have scored 12."
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by chic2pimp(m): 7:53pm On Mar 22, 2010
A-40:

@Tboy
Me sef tire ooo undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Women's Champions League El Classico Sets New Attendance World Record of 91,553 / FA Cup: Man City Vs Man United (2 - 3) On 8th January 2012 / FA Cup: Southampton Vs Chelsea (1 - 5) On 5th January 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.