Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,246 members, 7,815,361 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? (13146 Views)

Poll: Vote for the player of the season:

Lionel Messi: 70% (120 votes)
Wayne Rooney: 29% (50 votes)
This poll has ended

Drogba Vs Rooney: Who Is Better? / Who Has Been The Best Defender So Far In Premier League This 2009/10? / Martins Vs Rooney, Who Is The Best??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by khanye(m): 7:55pm On Mar 22, 2010
snowdrops:

Everyone supporting Messi, wait until he plays against my team Arsenal, Sylvestre go pocket am grin

I dey pray make hin play grin grin
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by snowdrops(m): 7:59pm On Mar 22, 2010
khanye:

I dey pray make hin play grin grin
Imagine an arsenal backline of eboue, campbell, sylvestre and clichy grin

Na night of thousand laughs we go watch cheesy grin
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by edoyad(m): 8:01pm On Mar 22, 2010
This is the most senseless comparison ever. How can you compare a plate of stool painted white to a plate of hot pounded yam ?
Now ask yourself who is the sh¡t and who is the poundo ?
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by denzel2009: 8:16pm On Mar 22, 2010
snowdrops:

Imagine an arsenal backline of eboue, campbell, sylvestre and clichy grin

Na night of thousand laughs we go watch cheesy grin

Dont underestimate these guys, Bosingwa pocketed Messi last season.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by snowdrops(m): 8:33pm On Mar 22, 2010
denzel2009:

Dont underestimate these guys, Bosingwa pocketed Messi last season.
Common, Bosingwa is a right full back, and could not have played against messi at least for most of the match.
You should have said ashley cole, malouda, essien and jt combined that pocketted him.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by SamMilla1(m): 8:45pm On Mar 22, 2010
snowdrops:

Common, Bosingwa is a right full back, and could not have played against messi at least for most of the match.
You should have said ashley cole, malouda, essien and jt combined that pocketted him.

I have recalled matches where bosingwa played left full back in place of cole.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by snowdrops(m): 8:50pm On Mar 22, 2010
Sam Milla:

I have recalled matches where bosingwa played left full back in place of cole.
But the match we are talking about here is the champs league semi-final in 2009 over 2 legs.
From what i remember jose bosingwa played right full back both matches.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by trueword: 8:59pm On Mar 22, 2010
MESSI IS A BEAST!!!! That guy has like the ultimate ball control. Messi can create his own shot better than Rooney. Rooney can finish, but isn't like Messi with the ball control to create his shots.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by M16: 9:02pm On Mar 22, 2010
The argument for me is a no contest. Messi is dribbles better, he is much faster, he scores freekicks and he has now added shooting from outside the penalty box to his repertoire of skills.  Messi is astonshing and a delight to watch.
What pisses is me is asinine statement  that if messi was in the premiership, he wouldn't score half the goals he scored. If Messi was in the premiership he would score [b]twice[/b]the number of goals he has already scored.

Premiership is a league filled with terrible defenders and hopeless goalkeepers. can you imagine using hull city as an example. this only exposes the ignorance of the  poster of that statement.

the best defenders in the priemiership come from Man utd and chelsea( maybe liverpool 2 yrs back). the rest are absolute rubbish.

Regarding quality of premiership vs La Liga. who watches the match between stoke city and hull city or bolton vs burnley. but watch a match between xerez and almeria and you watch skills, flair and good football.

The last two games barcelona has played, Messi has [b]created something out of nothing[/b]which differentiates between him and the rest.Rooney's game is improving, but Messi is way ahead in my opinion.

To the person who says Messi is performing well because barcelona is an all round wonderful team, i want to ask whether most of the tap-in's or penalties rooney( most of ronney's goals this season has come from inside the penalty box, causing people to compare with van nistelrooy) has scored was created by him alone. whether without fletcher,scholes, giggs and van der saar in goal, united will be were they are presently.
A good team makes a skillfull footballer better and enables him to show case his talent. Barca is great and Messi is astonishing.

P.s  were was the premiership defenders when Thierry Henry was running rings round them. Go watch Arsenal vs Liverpool at highbury, 2003 season

FIFA World Player Of The Year 1999- Rivaldo                   Club- Barcelona    Football League- Spain

FIFA World Player Of The Year 2000- Zinedane Zidane   Club - Juventus      Football League- Italy

FIFA World Player Of The Year 2001-  Luis Figo               Club- Real Madrid   Football League- Spain

FIFA World Player Of The Year 2002- Ronaldo                 Club- Inter Milan    Football League- Italy

FIFA World Player Of The Year 2003- Zinedane Zidane   Club- Real Madrid   Football League- Spain

FIFA World Player Of The Year 2004- Ronaldinho            Club- Barcelona      Football League- Spain

FIFA World Player Of The Year 2005- Ronaldinho            Club- Barcelona     Football League- Spain

FIFA World Player Of The Year 2006- Fabio Cannavaro    Club- Juventus       Football League- Italy

FIFA World Player Of The Year 2007- Kaka                       Club- Ac Milan        Football League- Italy

FIFA World Player Of The Year 2008- Cristiano Ronaldo   Club- Man Utd        Football League- England

FIFA World Player Of The Year 2009- Lionel Messi            Club-Barcelona       Football League- Spain

In the last ten years -Spain - 6      Italy-4             England-1

A little bit of statistics for the post 1999- football johnny come lately 's who think football begins with and ends with the premiership
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by mrkoma2012: 9:29pm On Mar 22, 2010
Its a close call but messi edges rooney on current form.Ability wise i still place ronaldo ahead of rooney of course behind messi
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by GP15: 9:56pm On Mar 22, 2010
how can u compare a footballer and a boxer? its sound so ridiculous. messi is natural born footballer while rooney is natural born boxer who converted to a footballer
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Kratos007(m): 10:00pm On Mar 22, 2010
messi is by a million miles the far better player of the two. its not just the goals he scores, afterall, darren bent has been banging in goals left, right and center. do we now say darren bent is world class? rooney is a great scorer of goals(for this season anyway), messi is a scorer of great goals. i challenge anyone on this thread to readily name 5 goals rooney has scored throughout his whole playing career that will be talked about in 3 years time. el mesias has so many that it would be virtually impossible to fit them in one whole season. we are watching a true artist at work here lads, someday all of you will be able to tell your children of how you watched a legend grace the most glamorous pitches of all time. all that is needed is for messi to lead argentina to world cup glory for him to be crowned the greatest of all time.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by A40(m): 10:34pm On Mar 22, 2010
@Dayokanu
Excess exposure to the rubbish some people say on NL can shorten one's lifespan. Very soon dem go dey compare Benedict Akwuegbu to Gerd Muller or Juergen Klinsmann

@Chic2pimp
It never ends on this site
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Jencejyde(m): 10:39pm On Mar 22, 2010
Haba! They are two different type of players, but based on the topic. "who is better for 2009/10 Season" I believe without any doubt
that messi would be favourite on current form. No need to compare the Leagues they play in, cos  that could change, with the way football is nowadays. Where was Kaka and Ronaldo yesterday? And where are they today? But they still have class in them, which is why they are highly rated.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by asha80(m): 10:41pm On Mar 22, 2010
A-40:

@Dayokanu
Excess exposure to the rubbish some people say on NL can shorten one's lifespan. Very soon dem go dey compare[b] Benedict Akwuegbu to Gerd Muller or Juergen Klinsmann[/b]
@Chic2pimp
It never ends on this site

grin  cheesy  grin
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by mjbaba: 10:48pm On Mar 22, 2010
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. you guys are busy arguing on wetin no concern una! there's fire on d mountain o. Can someone tell me how Big Danny Shittu will stop Little Messi grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by debosky(m): 11:58pm On Mar 22, 2010
snowdrops:

Everyone supporting Messi, wait until he plays against my team Arsenal, Sylvestre go pocket am grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Chai!!! I will name my first child Sylvestre if that happens.  tongue

Good sports people please end the fights and let's get along.

I don't want to get into banning again. . . .so let the harsh words stop.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by snowdrops(m): 12:04am On Mar 23, 2010
debosky:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Chai!!! I will name my first child Sylvestre if that happens.  tongue

I will quickly wake up from sleep because i know i am having a nightmare cheesy
debosky:

Good sports people please end the fights and let's get along.

I don't want to get into banning again. . . .so let the harsh words stop.
In life we meet ppl like that. What matters is not to stoop to their level and start trading insults. I hope he learns his lesson, after his offensive comments.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by snowdrops(m): 12:07am On Mar 23, 2010
The truth hurts huh. Try and sleep on it dear. When you are sober you would see the sense in my advice. Again no need to be caustic. Grow up.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by A40(m): 12:09am On Mar 23, 2010
@Debosky
I actually dont know what i did or said that got this fella on ma case the annoying part is he started with the insults and is now forming TD Jakes. I'd appreciate it if he buzzes off
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by snowdrops(m): 12:13am On Mar 23, 2010
A-40:

@Debosky
I actually dont know what i did or said that got this fella on ma case the annoying part is he started with the insults and is now forming TD Jakes. I'd appreciate it if he buzzes off
This thread is not about me /vs/ you, its about messi /vs/ rooney. Why dont you give this other issue a rest. Lets talk sports please.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by kaypumpin2(m): 12:18am On Mar 23, 2010
The fact that it was Messi against C.Ron last season and it's him(Messi)against yet another player this season again says a LOT about Messi.

He's a consistent performer that boy but i hope he catches a hammy in his next La Liga that will rule him out till the El Classico.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Sauron1: 12:20am On Mar 23, 2010
kay_pumpin:

The fact that it was Messi against C.Ron last season and it's him(Messi)against yet another player this season again says a LOT about Messi.

He's a consistent performer that boy but i hope he catches a hammy in his next La Liga that will rule him out till the El Classico.

3 players stand head and shoulders above the others this season.

Messi
Ronaldo
Rooney.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by 4Play(m): 12:23am On Mar 23, 2010
Messi is a rubbish player. Mame Diouf is a far better player.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by kaypumpin2(m): 12:42am On Mar 23, 2010
~Sauron~:

3 players stand head and shoulders above the others this season.

Messi
Ronaldo
Rooney.
Messi and Rooney especially with regards to the way their performances has lifted their teams so far.But you gotta believe me man,Messi is ET.The things this guy conjures within split seconds can only be imagined.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by ritchboy(m): 12:48am On Mar 23, 2010
Sauron
i disagree. . . Eboue shytes on Rooney this season with ease.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Sauron1: 12:54am On Mar 23, 2010
kay_pumpin:

Messi and Rooney especially with regards to the way their performances has lifted their teams so far.But you gotta believe me man,Messi is ET.The things this guy conjures within split seconds can only be imagined.

Ronaldo is far dangerous than Rooney and Messi.
We won't see the best of Ronaldo this season as he's still bedding and trying to adapt to the circus surrounding Real Madrid.
Next season, una go hear wen from the Portugeezer.

Pound for pound, he is the most dangerous player in the world.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by dayokanu(m): 1:48am On Mar 23, 2010
How come some players light up their new clubs immediately they join?

Messi currently shytes on Ronaldo
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Sauron1: 2:24am On Mar 23, 2010
dayokanu:

How come some players light up their new clubs immediately they join?

Messi currently shytes on Ronaldo

Even Messi himself will slap you for this remark.
22 goals in 24 apps for Madrid.
7 UCL goals in the UCL after only 6 appearances?

Dayokanu, you must be spiritually blind. grin
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by bashydemy(m): 3:02am On Mar 23, 2010
Well if you have to compare the 2 player's you have to think very well wish is the toughtest league in europe or in the world? i think its EPL and any player who could be able to play in EPL successfully and could be able to make name from EPL the he can play in any league Serie A oe La liga but any player from Serie and La liga they are no where to be in EPL talking from those that i have seen player's like David Beckham. Van Nisteroy,Heinze Gerard Pique,C Ronaldo they all are Man U player's and they countinue making names when they get to spain.talk of Michael owen he is a Good player while playing in elgish league and also when he get to spain he play good football too but when he return to EPL he is no where to be found until this present when he was playing for Man U and stil trying to meet up, also player's like Martins who is a great player in Inter Milan and also Scheveschenko he is a great player when he was in AC Milan but when he get to chelsea he is no where to be found and some player'slike em, so what am trying to say is that English league is one of the toughest league in the world compare to Serie A where the main rivals are Inter Milan and AC milan and also La liga where the main rivals are Barca and Real Madrid but in Premier League there are lots of contender thinking of Man U playing against top 3 and some other teams like Aston Vila,Spurs,Everton,Manchester city, etc so if you ahve to compare player's you have to think of the league they play in and the difficulties they go through so then i think is Wayne Rooney for now.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by honeric01(m): 3:07am On Mar 23, 2010
5 LETTER WORDS

MESSI.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by bashydemy(m): 4:05am On Mar 23, 2010
talking about Messi scoring goals well Rooney score 4 goals against Hull city and i believe Hull city do as much as barca did to Zaragosa Rooney score hatrick agaist Portsmouth and i also believe Portsmouth will beat Zaragosa so pls you cannot campare English teams to Spanish not to mention there player's check the link the other provide and see the rate of injury in EPL so if Messi is playing in EPL he will be no where near the World best imagine a player who has no better record in his National team compare to Rooney who is one of there top striker and contribute to the National team progress lets see what Messi will play in South Africa but its a pity he will be playing with a team Like Nigeria but i believe Nigeria player will do better lets wait and see. and beside Rooney is scoring atleast in every match this agaist the Big teams and the smaller team and also Zaragosa is 17th on the serie table meaning they completely smaller team compare to Hull city or fulham

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Women's Champions League El Classico Sets New Attendance World Record of 91,553 / FA Cup: Man City Vs Man United (2 - 3) On 8th January 2012 / FA Cup: Southampton Vs Chelsea (1 - 5) On 5th January 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.