Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,165 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? (13144 Views)

Poll: Vote for the player of the season:

Lionel Messi: 70% (120 votes)
Wayne Rooney: 29% (50 votes)
This poll has ended

Drogba Vs Rooney: Who Is Better? / Who Has Been The Best Defender So Far In Premier League This 2009/10? / Martins Vs Rooney, Who Is The Best??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by dammizz(m): 1:38pm On Mar 22, 2010
Obviously Messi.
The Poster is not comparing Strikers but the totality that makes one a player, so I'll give dt up 2 Messi, then me
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by ogazi007(m): 1:39pm On Mar 22, 2010
Messi is a one man gang!he does not wait for good passes,he picks the ball and face the defenders like a moving train.
i thank God C.Ronaldo now plays in the same league with messi,if you are still doubting who is better between the two,you are on you own(oyo).
the premiership bois have started with their bais argument again.he cant score half of the goals if he were to play in premiership.people will be quiet after the 180mins game against Arsenal that have one of the best defence line in Europe,lol.the boi is the play station i watched.i cant compare him with any other player,atleast for now.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by asha80(m): 1:41pm On Mar 22, 2010
tboy1:

Play messi against Stoke & Hull defenders / Midfielders & im sure messi will walk out on Crutches
England defenders dont give you time to do all wat messi does . . . they will bring you down
Arsenal Vs Barcelona is nearly here smiley

Does messi need time on the ball to do what he does
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by sayoplenty: 1:43pm On Mar 22, 2010
"Another important point is that Messi takes this world easy and smiles even when you bring him down. He is smallish but Just like Shaun Wright-Phillips, he more than makes up for his size by having an immense speed and flexibility.

Rooney is brute. He always curses. Watch his mouth when a decision goes against him and see. Ask yourself, if you are a business man and you want to sign either of them to advertise your product, who will you go for?
"    

YOU VE REALLY SAID MY MIND. MESSI IS FAR BETTER AND SKILLFUL THAN ROONEY. MORESO, ROONEY IS RUDE.

CHEERS!
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by dynamic007(m): 1:45pm On Mar 22, 2010
I'm a staunch Man United fan, but when it comes to naming who d best footballer on the planet is, i think right now the most electrifying player is still Messi, not because he is scoring so many goals now; ask yourself as a coach if u had to buy either Rooney or Messi, who wud u buy?
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by otokx(m): 1:47pm On Mar 22, 2010
I choose Messi.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by tboy1(m): 1:50pm On Mar 22, 2010
asha 80:

Does messi need time on the ball to do what he does 
How many Midfielders / Strikers in premeirship do you see moving pass defenders easy like they do in spain?

The pace in PL is more than La Liga & more physical. In La Liga players are allowed to show-off individual skill but in PL the defenders will close you down. You think all those injuries in premeirship is for nothing?
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by fredoooooo: 1:52pm On Mar 22, 2010
i choose messi over rooney, what messi does at the moment is definitely out of these world,
but one thing that make rooney exceptional as a striker is his defensive work rate,have never seen a striker that score that much and still work for the team ,
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by teireal(m): 1:54pm On Mar 22, 2010
both players are really at their peak in 2009/10 season for clubs
but in terms of their country performance Rooney tends to be ahead of Messi
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by parislomo(f): 1:55pm On Mar 22, 2010
ROONEY
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by deb(m): 1:59pm On Mar 22, 2010
Barcelona play 4 - 3 - 3
3 strikers upfront

That Messi is made to play upfront as a striker does not really make him a striker?
He is a natural midfielder and you should give it to him that he is even performing fantastically well
playing as a striker upfront due to the 4-3-3 formation.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by tunyus(m): 2:04pm On Mar 22, 2010
the winner is
CHIEF, DR, PROF, LION MESSI
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by GNBohr: 2:04pm On Mar 22, 2010
The two are contestably the best in the game at the moment both on scoring form anf general contribution to team game. At international level, there is a little different which depends on the tactics of the coach.

All in all, what will decide the best out of the two is the winner of the Champions league and the Premier/La Liga.

If Manu wins both Rooney will be crowned the King but if Barca will both, then Messi retains his crown while CR9 will be a distant third. Sentiments apart.

Torres for now is in the wilderness. David Villa is much better than Torres at the moment both for club and country.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by khanye(m): 2:23pm On Mar 22, 2010
2009-2010 Rooney 39 Games - 33goals
2009-2010 Messi 38 Games - 34goals

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HqjbTTFr3Y&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"[/flash]

Zaragoza Coach Jose Aurelio Gay: Lionel Messi Is Like Maradona But Faster
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Mar 22, 2010
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by jerryland: 2:29pm On Mar 22, 2010
Guys, Messi anyday and anytime,
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by kidonig: 2:33pm On Mar 22, 2010
Saying that Messi will not be able to score the way he is doing now in the premiership is unfounded. C. Ronaldo was in the premiership last season. By using your own judgement, then he should have scored double the number of goals in La Liga now as there are no defenders to cage him as you said but you and I know that that is not the case. He is not even close to Messi and they play against the same teams.

Using C. Ronaldo as a yardstick, where was your Rooney when was in ManU? He was totally subdued by C. Ronaldo and was relieved when C. Ronaldo left. Why didn't the 2 combine to beat Barca last season?

You should have heard the commentator yesterday talking about Messi, "he plays as though the ball is tied to his boot with an invisible string" . Have you heard such a comment made about Rooney?

Don't get me wrong. Rooney will be in the 1st 10 players in the world but I don't think he will even be in the 1st 3. C. Ronaldo is still better than Rooney currently and C. Ronaldo pales out when Messi is brought into the picture so do the maths,
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by ritchboy(m): 2:36pm On Mar 22, 2010
Would any sane man have compared Rooney to Messi last season?
Just because Rooney is scoring more than he's ever done, he is now better than Messi?
Rooney would sacrifice Kai to the gods to possess a 3rd of Messi's abilities.
This thread is an insult the Argie.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by kidonig: 2:37pm On Mar 22, 2010
I love that video. It is even an English commentator saying that he is the best comparing him with George Best (ManU legend) and Maradona. Do you know more football than Andy Gray and Clive Chesley?
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by ogazi007(m): 2:39pm On Mar 22, 2010
J.Kramer:

Na you know.Mr Business man, Do you know how many endorsements rooney has?.when u have money,u can make a decision whether to sign im or not.as for now,keep your opinions to urself!(on signing)

As for "behavioural" lionel messi spat on a player last season earning him a 3 match ban,
If you dont watch la liga, please dnt comment!

Hahaaa!where did you get that fake info from?
3 match ban for messi last season?pls justify your statement and tell us which matches he missed.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by bisiaet: 2:40pm On Mar 22, 2010
I think is Messi that guy is too dangerous in football, this issue is not issue of scoring goals now but who is the person that whenever ball touches his leg and everybody is waiting to his next action I think is Messi. I am Barcelona fan but I stand for the truth "Messi is a footballer" that is a fact>
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by stone07(m): 2:44pm On Mar 22, 2010
It is until Messi starts playing in English premiership before i can conclude is playing better than ROONEY.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Raimond(m): 2:44pm On Mar 22, 2010
Rooney is GOOD, Messi is BETTER!!!
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Kgdavid(m): 2:52pm On Mar 22, 2010
interesting. this season messi has 34 while rooney has 33 so as far as goals go they are pretty equal. however the point about the level of defending in la liga being poor is quite valid.the defending is extremely soft and if you watch messi play in europe and for his country you will hardly see him dribbling players in the same way he does in the league. overall i'd say messi has an edge over rooney only in terms of dribbling ability. its the same old ronaldo vs messi scenario we had last season. messi is also an incredibly selfish player
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by A40(m): 2:55pm On Mar 22, 2010
Nairaland sef! Rooney better than Messi? maybe in FIFA 10 or Pro Evo soccer sha (thats after you have edited Rooney's abilities) They ain't on the same level. Messi na General Rooney na Colonel

@TBOY1
Ma guy that point you raised about Barca beating y'all is weak to be honest! This is like saying your victory over Bayern in 99 was also a one-off since they thrashed you home and away in the knockout phase two years later. There is a reason why its called a FINAL and why its usually played on a neutral turf. Y'all where beaten black and blue. Shikena
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by dyabman(m): 3:17pm On Mar 22, 2010
Rooney is Fantastic . . . .Messi is Incredible!
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by deb(m): 3:31pm On Mar 22, 2010
Kgdavid:

interesting. this season messi has 34 while rooney has 33 so as far as goals go they are pretty equal. [b]however the point about the level of defending in la liga being poor is quite valid.[/b]the defending is extremely soft and if you watch messi play in europe and for his country you will hardly see him dribbling players in the same way he does in the league. overall i'd say messi has an edge over rooney only in terms of dribbling ability. its the same old ronaldo vs messi scenario we had last season. messi is also an incredibly selfish player

Reacting to the highlighted, why is C.Ronaldo not scoring as much as he was doing in the English premiership?
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Sauron1: 3:46pm On Mar 22, 2010
deb:

Reacting to the highlighted, why is C.Ronaldo not scoring as much as he was doing in the English premiership?

Cristiano has scored 22 goals in 24 appearances for Real Madrid.
If you know any other record better than this in the whole world, kindly present it.
La Liga is too easy for Ronaldo.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by dyabman(m): 3:52pm On Mar 22, 2010
~Sauron~:

Cristiano has scored 22 goals in 24 appearances for Real Madrid.
If you know any other record better than this in the whole world, kindly present it.
La Liga is too easy for Ronaldo.

oh common shut up! . . . Yawagasawa has scored 35 goals in 20 appearances in the J-league .
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by deb(m): 3:56pm On Mar 22, 2010
dyabman:

oh common shut up! . . . Yawagasawa has scored 35 goals in 20 appearances in the J-league .

Haaa shocked grin That one na Serious comparism o? cheesy cheesy
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by alldone(m): 4:04pm On Mar 22, 2010
it is messi no argument about that. i dont even like h im but the truth must be said. he is hot now.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by tboy1(m): 4:05pm On Mar 22, 2010
A-40:

Nairaland sef! Rooney better than Messi? maybe in FIFA 10 or Pro Evo soccer sha (thats after you have edited Rooney's abilities) They ain't on the same level. Messi na General Rooney na Colonel

@TBOY1
Ma guy that point you raised about Barca beating y'all is weak to be honest! This is like saying your victory over Bayern in 99 was also a one-off since they thrashed you home and away in the knockout phase two years later. There is a reason why its called a FINAL and why its usually played on a neutral turf. Y'all where beaten black and blue. Shikena
I'm an Arsenal Supporter  tongue

@ Post
I will only choose Messi over Rooney until he has played in PL
Take a look at this link and see why its called PL  grin   The Premier is not there for nothing u know
http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Women's Champions League El Classico Sets New Attendance World Record of 91,553 / FA Cup: Man City Vs Man United (2 - 3) On 8th January 2012 / FA Cup: Southampton Vs Chelsea (1 - 5) On 5th January 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.