Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties (24891 Views)

Man Lost His Properties 2 Years After His Nigeria Wife Joined Him In Uk(vid,pix) / My Dad's Friend Willed 90% Of His Properties To His Daughters And Not His Son / My Younger Brother Wants To Finance My Wedding. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Richardabbey(m): 7:41pm On Nov 19, 2017
I Booked Dis Space 4 U To Bury Ur Daddy , Dnt Worry We Will Talk Abt Price Later
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Zuluhead(m): 7:46pm On Nov 19, 2017
Please kindly state what part of the country are you from, did your dad write a will and was your grandfather also a property owner before he died?
Alexas58:
Please am in need of advices here

My dad has a younger brother whom he trained to the university before he died, being his only brother!
My dads father died when he finished secondary school and my dad was the only one that the family could look up to. So he did some jobs, got some money and trained his younger brother to the university level..

My uncle graduated 10 years ago and nothing to show of it.. My father tried giving him a work to do in a bank, he refused the work and started having problems with my father.

Fast forward now my dad is late, has left behind some kids which are in the university and others are still attending school.

Instead of my uncle to put hands with my mum and burry my father, he is busy dragging my mum to the village that they should share some of my father's property with him, saying that my dad never did anything for him, meanwhile my dad trained him to the University which he never did to any of his children before he died.

Please..my need for posting this is to know if there is any place or anywhere that says that my Uncle must inherit a part of my late father's property, because its part of this property we the children are going to use and establish ourselves and my dad gave a wish that nobody should sell any of his lands while on the sick bed!

Please which legal backing and traditional backing can we use to prevent my uncle from going near that land!..because that land is worth hundreds of millions of naira now!!
Thanks

Please I need solutions too..because we are suspecting him of killing my father because of all his actions!...

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 19, 2017
Cc: alexas58
I hope you heed to this advise go to any barracks or if you have a military friend.. Hire few soldiers and let them scare that your uncle whenever he tries nonsense .. Get a notice board and write military zone keep off. Put it on the fence or anywhere people will see it when they pass the land.
If he is still proving stubborn which I know he can't let me know..
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Nobody: 7:51pm On Nov 19, 2017
Richardabbey:
I Booked Dis Space 4 U To Bury Ur Daddy , Dnt Worry We Will Talk Abt Price Later
To you you think this is funny.. Can't you just respect the dead.. Kids everywhere
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Charly68: 7:55pm On Nov 19, 2017
If your uncle chose to be wicked then you need to carry fire to quench his wickedness, since he has chosen the dishonorable way, deal with him in that order...you are not to be too gentle for a stubborn goat..show him the other side of life and they will let your mother be..Tell him if anything evil happens to any of your immediate family ,the man and his own family will be gone too..

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Deo1986(m): 8:01pm On Nov 19, 2017
Hey Alexa, where are you from? Because your situation right now resonate with what i went through after my dad's death. Lots of people have given their advice but i tell you rushing to court will not give you the immediate justice you want, it will only stall the situation and your uncle, if he has powerful friends behind him might start making use of some of the properties. it happens! Make proper verification ask questions and since your dad didn't leave a will the court will have no option than to include your uncle in the sharing of the properties since he was once under your father's care. I will suggest you call your mother and siblings make an estimation of the entire properties, see the one's you can let go for peace to reign. My hum,ble advice.

2 Likes

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by nkhay(f): 8:02pm On Nov 19, 2017
Since your dad has just one brother, this situation shouldn't be that difficult.

To stay alive, don't drag anything with them and I'd advice you share with him. Because even if your uncle is not diabolic, those villagers will poison his mind to become diabolic.

Apply wisdom and give him some of your father's property. Btw, your Father should have a next of Kin.

Good luck and stay safe !

2 Likes

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by ikevictor: 8:16pm On Nov 19, 2017
BruncleZuma:
Does your mother have a marriage certificate? If no, can she provide witnesses to her being married to your father?.

In addition to this, does your father have legal documents specifying him as the owner of the properties?

Cos if the properties belongs to your fathers father, then you are so wrong claiming such. Except your fathers portion alone.

You have rights over your fathers property and his property alone. And be sure before you claim such.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by BruncleZuma: 8:18pm On Nov 19, 2017
ikevictor:

In addition to this, does your father have legal documents specifying him as the owner of the properties?

Cos if the properties belongs to your fathers father, then he has no rights handing them all over to you.

You have rights over your fathers property and his property alone. And be sure before you claim such.

It's not my family nah bros grin grin grin grin

cc: alexas58
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by peacechild(f): 8:26pm On Nov 19, 2017
Contact The founder of DPA on Facebook and he will help you straighten things

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Abagworo(m): 8:26pm On Nov 19, 2017
Alexas58:

My dad has a younger brother whom he trained to the university before he died, being his only brother!
My dads father died when he finished secondary school and my dad was the only one that the family could look up to. So he did some jobs, got some money and trained his younger brother to the university level..

My uncle graduated 10 years ago and nothing to show of it.. My father tried giving him a work to do in a bank, he refused the work and started having problems with my father.

Fast forward now my dad is late, has left behind some kids which are in the university and others are still attending school.

Instead of my uncle to put hands with my mum and burry my father, he is busy dragging my mum to the village that they should share some of my father's property with him, saying that my dad never did anything for him, meanwhile my dad trained him to the University which he never did to any of his children before he died.

Please..my need for posting this is to know if there is any place or anywhere that says that my Uncle must inherit a part of my late father's property, because its part of this property we the children are going to use and establish ourselves and my dad gave a wish that nobody should sell any of his lands while on the sick bed!

Please which legal backing and traditional backing can we use to prevent my uncle from going near that land!..because that land is worth hundreds of millions of naira now!!
Thanks

Please I need solutions too..because we are suspecting him of killing my father because of all his actions!...

Thanks

If your Dad left no will then it's left for your village people to decide what should be given to your uncle. Surely it must be a very small part of your Dad's properties.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by barajo1(m): 8:30pm On Nov 19, 2017
You have said the bitter truth. You ppl dint have to be greedy. Give him some part, safe ursef and ur siblings unnecessary enemy. U can't even tell what's between ur dad and ur uncle. Maybe some of the said property is also inherited from ur grandparents. Just be wise and diplomatic. Except his demanding for too much
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Your uncle is still family.

Your mom shouldn't be stingy, she should give him some properties. That's exactly what your late dad will have done for his brother.
After all, you said he isn't doing so well now.

She should give him some.
Just like your dad died to leave them, he will too.
Life is vanity upon vanity.

I'd also advice you guys strive hard for yourselves and don't count so much on your dad's properties. He worked for them, work for yours too.
They are just a bonus and not the principal.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by aribisala0(m): 8:30pm On Nov 19, 2017
Charly68:
If your uncle chose to be wicked then you need to carry fire to quench his wickedness, since he has chosen the dishonorable way, deal with him in that order...you are not to be too gentle for a stubborn goat..show him the other side of life and they will let your mother be..Tell him if anything evil happens to any of your immediate family ,the man and his own family will be gone too..

I am not sure what is dishonourable. Culture and tradition is not a thing to pick and choose when convenient. If you don't want this to happen then make a will. If a man dies intestate in Nigeria his estate is subject to Native law and Custom. e.g in Yoruba land a woman does not inherit her husband's property only his children do . Without going into so much detail native law varies from place to place and if the man is a Muslim Sharia law prevails. Under sharia law there is a formula for sharing.

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Chujor1634(m): 8:33pm On Nov 19, 2017
My uncle can help you o, this are some of the cases he likes, he has handled this kind severally and comes out victorious, he's a London trained lawyer with several years of practice even before I was born..

But he's based in portharcourt.

Here is my number, chat me up so I can give u his numb and details,
08160871668= trust me he's gonna help you out, he's a good man
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by barajo1(m): 8:34pm On Nov 19, 2017
Deo1986:
Hey Alexa, where are you from? Because your situation right now resonate with what i went through after my dad's death. Lots of people have given their advice but i tell you rushing to court will not give you the immediate justice you want, it will only stall the situation and your uncle, if he has powerful friends behind him might start making use of some of the properties. it happens! Make proper verification ask questions and since your dad didn't leave a will the court will have no option than to include your uncle in the sharing of the properties since he was once under your father's care. I will suggest you call your mother and siblings make an estimation of the entire properties, see the one's you can let go for peace to reign. My hum,ble advice.
you get sense! Best advice
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by cooljoe(m): 8:42pm On Nov 19, 2017
Alexas58:

Please how do I go about it,and how much is involved to intestate apply
get a lawyer. someone Sims to have recommended 1. if he agrees to do it pro bono, good 4 u. pro bono means ts free od charge. if he decides to charge u, still no biggie. better dat dan loosing it ol. I believe ur uncle has olready gotn himself a lawyer who is olready looking 4 loopholes both customary and legally. act fast.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by cooljoe(m): 8:49pm On Nov 19, 2017
aribisala0:

I am not sure what is dishonourable. Culture and tradition is not a thing to pick and choose when convenient. If you don't want this to happen then make a will. If a man dies intestate in Nigeria his estate is subject to Native law and Custom. e.g in Yoruba land a woman does not inherit her husband's property only his children do . Without going into so much detail native law varies from place to place and if the man is a Muslim Sharia law prevails. Under sharia law there is a formula for sharing.

before a custom is applicable t has to pass d repugnance test -It must not be repugnant to principles of equity and natural justice; it must not be against public policy and it should not be against any operating law in force. so indeed, culture nd tradition is a thing to pick nd choose ds days. if ts nt sensible, ts discarded.

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by cooljoe(m): 8:51pm On Nov 19, 2017
aribisala0:

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by aribisala0(m): 8:54pm On Nov 19, 2017
cooljoe:
before a custom is applicable t has to pass d repugnance test -It must not be repugnant to principles of equity and natural justice; it must not be against public policy and it should not be against any operating law in force. so indeed, culture nd tradition is a thing to pick nd choose ds days. if ts nt sensible, ts discarded.
I am talking about the law. I don't know what YOU are talking about but there is plenty of case law in Nigeria all the way up to the Supreme Court on Inheritance under Native law and custom.
Our law is simple: If you do not want your estate adjudicated under Native law and Custom then MAKE A WILL.

What is repugnance test? Please talk another thing.That one has no sense in it.
Some people love amala and others do not .That is why we have law.
Native Law is just that: Law ,in Nigeria. if you do not know then educate yourself
Only recently the Supreme Court made a pronouncement on female inheritance in Igboland so Native law Jurisprudence is quite strong in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Malawian(m): 8:56pm On Nov 19, 2017
Dont your dad have any surviving male children? cos if he does, you dont even need to bother yourselves with your uncle. all he is doing is what we call "mba ana abara agu"
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by cooljoe(m): 9:03pm On Nov 19, 2017
aribisala0:

I am talking about the law. I don't know what YOU are talking about but there is plenty of case law in Nigeria all the way up to the Supreme Court on Inheritance under Native law and custom.
Our law is simple: If you do not want your estate adjudicated under Native law and Custom then MAKE A WILL.

What is repugnance test? Please talk another thing.That one has no sense in it.
Some people love amala and others do not .That is why we have law.
Native Law is just that: Law ,in Nigeria. if you do not know then educate yourself
Only recently the Supreme Court made a pronouncement on female inheritance in Igboland so Native law Jurisprudence is quite strong in Nigeria
Lolzz. I should educate myself. I think I'd do that. but what I did tell u is actually d law. in ol matters be it inheritance or not, for a custom to apply, it has to pass d aforementioned tests. c d case of Joshua Ohai v Samuel Akpomonye. You can also check s.14(3) of the Evidence Act. that is the position of the law and your "unlearned" opinion and silly manners won't change it.

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by delpee(f): 9:05pm On Nov 19, 2017
pcguru1:

Sorry this is happening to you, it also happened to us too and we were left with nothing, and life is funny because all of them right now are nowhere at this moment, they are all living in penury some died a frustrating death not like we wished for it, and things are way better for my mother. I don't know what advice to give you, just ensure you work hard and be ambitious, imagine someone who was married to obasanjo friend and spending cash like mad years later calling to beg you for money after their family did what they did to you. Take care bro

God will lift you up in wonderful ways. Those who deny widows and the fatherless of their entitlements always reap as they have sown.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by mechanics(m): 9:11pm On Nov 19, 2017
Assuming he wrote a will, it would have been better.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by aribisala0(m): 9:19pm On Nov 19, 2017
cooljoe:
Lolzz. I should educate myself. I think I'd do that. but what I did tell u is actually d law. in ol matters be it inheritance or not, for a custom to apply, it has to pass d aforementioned tests. c d case of Joshua Ohai v Samuel Akpomonye. that is the position of the law and your "unlearned" opinion and silly manners won't change it.

Always entertaining when I come across the Nigerian version of your specie.
"learned", "Unlearned". Do yo guys still do that bombastic Latin show off thing grin?

It is so 19th century.Seriously even the wig and gown are on the way out in other places grin
Substance over form.....

Yes you need to educate yourself in Effective use of language. It is too early to be throwing citations randomly.

What is it you are trying to say? Let us be clear on that.

My point is that Native Law of inheritance is an established part of our jurisprudence especially in testamentary matters where the deceased dies intestate and that Native law in Nigeria has well established jurisprudence .It is not "a custom" as you suggest but several customs and traditions across different parts of the country. Some have been tested successfully or otherwise and the findings in those trials only clarifies the Jurisprudence of "native law". It is not immune from the iterative process that applies to conventional law.

So what is YOUR POINT?

It is only when we are clear what we disagree on that you may start citing Akpos or whatever. For now that is just self indulgent exhibitionism
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by delpee(f): 9:26pm On Nov 19, 2017
@Op

You need a lawyer and you need spiritual strength. If your mum was legally married, it's easier going through a legal process. Follow the lead on lawyers and contacts suggested. You, mum and siblings should avoid direct contact with the family as much as possible. Those who crave for others properties are usually desperate and very mean.
May God guide and protect you.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by 36STATES: 9:31pm On Nov 19, 2017
BruncleZuma:
Does your mother have a marriage certificate? If no, can she provide witnesses to her being married to your father?.

Stupid question. Who told you there must be certificate before your marriage is recognized?
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by cooljoe(m): 9:32pm On Nov 19, 2017
aribisala0:

Always entertaining when I come across the Nigerian version of your specie.
"learned", "Unlearned". Do yo guys still do that bombastic Latin show off thing grin?

It is so 19th century.Seriously even the wig and gown are on the way out in other places grin
Substance over form.....

Yes you need to educate yourself in Effective use of language. It is too early to be throwing citations randomly.

What is it you are trying to say? Let us be clear on that.

My point is that Native Law of inheritance is an established part of our jurisprudence especially in testamentary matters where the deceased dies intestate and that Native law in Nigeria has well established jurisprudence .It is not "a custom" as you suggest but several customs and traditions across different parts of the country. Some have been tested successfully or otherwise and the findings in those trials only clarifies the Jurisprudence of "native law". It is not immune from the iterative process that applies to conventional law.

So what is YOUR POINT?

It is only when we are clear what we disagree on that you may start citing Akpos or whatever. For now that is just self indulgent exhibitionism
u sim to lack d ability to read and understand. I didn't say native law doesn't apply. yes it does and can apply only nd only if d tests are past - d example u gave about a yoruba native law won't draw any water cos ts repugnant to principles of equity, fairness and good conscience. rather than "educate" yourself, u started talking about "repugnance" like somtn non-existent when it's in fact trite law. tell me u talking law when u don't know jack about it. Cos knowing dose test r pretty basic jst like s1(1) of CFRN. enjoy d rest of ur day. we are done here
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Zuluhead(m): 9:32pm On Nov 19, 2017
I asked you earlier what part of the country are you from? The property in question are they in your village or city? Ask your paternal and maternal uncle if your grand father had any properties before he did or did your dad sell any of his father's properties years back before you were born to start up life? Even if you go to court the court still recognize customs and traditions. So pls get your facts before you jump into conclusions and mind you since you said your uncle is a graduate he should be more experienced with law,custom and traditionals than you. Get your facts before you venture into an unfruitful lawsuit and sow generational beef in the family for the unborn kids. I know a scenario similar to yours their father was a transporter and the elder son mismanaged the vehicles so the rest and traveled out. He was lucky he made while the younger son went to school graduated and told his elder brother to give him his share of his father's properties, they had issues but at the end the younger son was compensated financialy and he started his life.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by 36STATES: 9:36pm On Nov 19, 2017
Alexas58:

Thanks.. Read very well where I said my dad trained him to the university and even offered him a job in a bank,but he refused

Don't mind the talkative.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by kaykay70: 9:39pm On Nov 19, 2017
Alexas58:

Thanks

Thanks
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by aribisala0(m): 9:50pm On Nov 19, 2017
cooljoe:
u sim to lack d ability to read and understand. I didn't say native law doesn't apply. yes it does and can apply only nd only if d tests are past - d example u gave about a yoruba native law won't draw any water cos ts repugnant to principles of equity, fairness and good conscience. rather than "educate" yourself, u started talking about "repugnance" like somtn non-existent when it's in fact trite law. tell me u talking law when u don't know jack about it. Cos knowing dose test r pretty basic jst like s1(1) of CFRN. enjoy d rest of ur day. we are done here

Repugnance is a very peripheral consideration .Please tell us what particular issue in this thread merits the invoking of repugnance? That a man may inherit from the estate of his brother who dies intestate? Does he not have claims even in conventional law?. I do not see anything "repugnant" anywhere other than that you may wish to practise the word
Many aspects undecided undecided of Native law are "settled". It is actually established and settled that wives in Yoruba land CANNOT inherit the property of their husbands. They themselves can be inherited. So the issue of repugnance does not have the overarching preeminence that you may wish it to have.
It is established in Sharia law that a woman inherits half of what her brothers may inherit. So do not misdirect your thinking with imaginings that are distant from jurisprudential reality. I will not go into the so many other repugnances that exist in Sharia for brevity sake but once again repugnance is a peripheral consideration in many many instances

Your English is egregious. Breezy bluster can never compensate adequately for a paucity of substance

You are empty and raucous

In the case of Akinubi Vs Akinubi, Mrs. Rufus Akinubi was married under the Yoruba Customary Law and blessed with 5 children. Her husband died without writing a will. The deceased owned a storey building, which was let to Owena Bank. The deceased brother applied for and obtained letters of administration which the wife opposed and sought an injunction to restrain them from functioning as administrators of her husband’s estate. The trial court ruled that the wife had no locus to institute the action, she being under customary law herself a part of her husband’s estate. She appealed to the Court of Appeal which dismissed the appeal. On further appeal to the Supreme Court, it was held: “it is a well settled rule of native law and custom of the Yoruba that a wife could not inherit her husband’s property. Indeed, under Yoruba Customary Law, a widow under an intestacy is regarded as a part of the estate of her deceased husband to be administered or inherited by the deceased family, she could neither be entitled to apply for a grant of letters of administration nor appointed as co-administratrix”.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by optimised: 9:50pm On Nov 19, 2017
@ OP
ADMINISTRATOR GENERAL & PUBLIC TRUSTEE , MINISTRY OF JUSTICE.
- This is to bring to the notice of the op in particular & the general readers in general that Government has put a very solid mechanism in place to address issues like this. But, most citizens are ignorant about it and ends up stressing themselves.
Going through this way is far easier then approaching the courts, village courts, probate division and all the stunts mentioned above. I have taken time to read all the sincere advice given above. They are good.
But my advice: approach Ministry of Justice in your state and ask for the Administrator General of the State to step into this matter RIGHT NOW.
What this entails is that Government will in the interim take over the management of all your late father's estate. All the revenues earned from the estate will be shared among you children of the deceased or deployed to payment of school fees till when all of you are matured and able to stand in their own. Then The Administrator General will then work on how to divide the inheritance among you.
Advantages:-
1.) In many of cases where relatives comes out to swallow the. deceased inheritance, they are responsible for the death of the same. There is a strong spiritual dimension to this that equally poses danger to the deceased immediate family. The intervention of the Administrator General keeps you physically & legally protected.
2.) The arms of the ravenous relatives will be weakened as thy will certainly not fight government.
3.) Between now and when you all will grown up - some of these wicked relatives may die, thus simplifying the process and enhancing your peace. Also, by then, tension would have died down.
4.) Cost effectiveness: There will be need spending money on lawyers/legal fees - trust me, this is not easy; probate fees: a % of the declared value of your father's wealth; traditional levies - if you go this way and other unforseen but definite expenses.
5.) Peace & safety: Since you & your siblings will not be directly managing the estate, you are not in direct line of attacks physically and perhaps spiritually. Just concentrate on your studies or life with the assurance that what is yours will not be hijacked by any relative. This is the whole essence of the concept of the Administrator General & Public Trustee.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Mother's Day : Drop A Message For Your Mother / Women, Stop Lying To Your Husbands And Playing Victim Afterwards! / Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.