Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,659 members, 7,820,317 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? (26332 Views)

UNIUYO: Lecturer Punishes Students For Making Noise In Philosophy Class (photos) / Professor Sophie Oluwole Is Dead (First Nigerian Female Phd Holder In Philosophy / What Can One Do For Masters After A Degree In Philosophy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by musicwriter(m): 10:17pm On Nov 22, 2017
Samswags9:

how can a philosopher work as a lawyer?

You can use philosophy to do anything, unless you don't even know what it's all about. If that's the case then just forget about it and study what you have passion for. If you even study philosophy and law that would be a good combo. You'll be able to develop good lines of argument to destroy your opponents in court like knock out punch.

You can use philosophy to do anything that requires thinking to solve a problem. Do you know anything that doesn't require thinking?

All the arts and sciences and the very fact they're subjects you study in school were made possible by philosophers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by rolly44: 10:20pm On Nov 22, 2017
Those that are underating philosophy it is the secrete of the western world, philosophy creat all other fields of study including law, but it not for premitive society like nigeria, so dont go for philosophy if u can not stand critizism of friends and family cos they will ask, what do you do with philosophy, i am a philospher and one good thing i gain from philosophy rigth now is that i fear no fear, i no longer fear death, i no longer take every word coming from people for yes yes, and to a philosopher he is greater than every one cos the masters of the theories are he owners of the theories, go for law dont study pilosphy, i own a company of my own with lots of philosophical ideals runing it easily for me,, but not with ease, alot of figth in the jobless country, there no job for any field of study you just creat it, even the govenment dont hv job. itmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Nov 22, 2017
Samswags9:
I just got admitted to study PHILOSOPHY At OLABISI ONABANJO UNIVERSITY. I Actually Opted For Law But I Was Offered Philosophy.

I Have Little Or No Idea About Philosophy, Having Searched Google But all I saw was,
being a Lecturer Or working at one Local Government.

Pls where and
what can I work as With a Philosophy Degree

Please Help Me Push This To Front Page

i am currently a 300 undergraduate of philosophy at OOU. it is a great course, you will eventually love it.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Nov 22, 2017
Blackfyre:
Go into politics.....GEJ studied Zoology and became president...
as he ventured into politics, was he able to rule the Nation?
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 22, 2017
fecta:
Dont worry while studying the course get to make friends with 500- 200 level students you dont know who will be your helper, because all you need is connection in this country.

So my final answer is with the right connection you can work in an oil company

#fecta
lol true oh
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by zakim(m): 10:24pm On Nov 22, 2017
Please follow your mind...
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Nov 22, 2017
GrandFinale2017:
as he ventured into politics, was he able to rule the Nation?

But you and I both refer to him as former president don't we? I was being sarcastic tho....but whose to say he can't go that far in politics if he plays his card right? What qualification does that ajekuiya fellow has that makes him a senator?
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by TheManofTomorrow(m): 10:45pm On Nov 22, 2017
Samswags9:
I just got admitted to study PHILOSOPHY At OLABISI ONABANJO UNIVERSITY. I Actually Opted For Law But I Was Offered Philosophy.

I Have Little Or No Idea About Philosophy, Having Searched Google But all I saw was,

Pls where and
what can I work as With a Philosophy Degree

That university dey vex person oo. I requested for pharmacy but they gave me agric with 255 and 69% in putme.

U dey ago iwoye or Oru now?
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 22, 2017
Reject the offer and rewrite jamb - - BA in Philosophy is worthless!

How ever if you're from a wealthy background, go for it then study further, make MA and DR abroad then come back and work as a lecturer!

I have Ba hons in philosophy, the degree is cooling off at my dad's drawers cool. I can never do anything with such a degree. It's to abstract for our modern world! Should be scrapped.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by olumidazz: 10:56pm On Nov 22, 2017
At this time and age... You can climb on SMS flyover analysing the stars moon and sun to passabys
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Antoeni(m): 11:06pm On Nov 22, 2017
Counselling department Lastma
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by being(m): 11:26pm On Nov 22, 2017
What's the meaning of this? Someone asked a practical question, you are giving a motivational answer! @ op you had better know that the course is useless if you are looking to make a career from it. However, there are professions that need just any degree like civil service, banking, police force etc. So it's your decision- if you want to do any of these nonspecific degree professions or you can pick a flair in say photography or interior decor, you can enjoy the course. Otherwise you had better prepare well for another jamb next year
TheMainMan:
i don't knw what u will do with philosophy buh i have another advice for u

take the course serious and don't joke with it

just because u r not offered law doesn't mean u should joke with it or u might find urself where u don't like

no course is bad... its what u have in u

best of luck
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Samswags9(m): 11:46pm On Nov 22, 2017
TheManofTomorrow:
That university dey vex person oo. I requested for pharmacy but they gave me agric with 255 and 69% in putme.

U dey ago iwoye or Oru now?

I Dey Ago Iwoye Now
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Raphworship: 11:58pm On Nov 22, 2017
Well just pray for God direction. It doesn't matter the course you study. What matters is your divine allocation .put your trust in God not man.if you feel laws your calling try another jamb, but if you think it's philosophy then pray and go for it. Just try and be the best at what you do.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by TonyRoland(m): 12:24am On Nov 23, 2017
u av nt stay too long at home dat y u are Still asking abt wat u can do wit a particular course. z nt all abt wat u read diz days z do u av certificate. dat's it.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Mimo1(m): 12:29am On Nov 23, 2017
Kingfanak:

i am currently a 300 undergraduate of philosophy at OOU. it is a great course, you will eventually love it.

My regards to Dr Adefarasin, Dr Aina, Dr Idowu and co.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by cuteralph101(m): 12:42am On Nov 23, 2017
Blackfyre:
Go into politics.....GEJ studied Zoology and became president...
but he learnt politics from animals...
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by africanusvu(m): 2:24am On Nov 23, 2017
A lot bros.a whole lot.1)You canTHINK really hard a provide the works with the answer of when actually the World will end
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by africanusvu(m): 2:37am On Nov 23, 2017
Samswags9:

Pls where and
what can I work as With a Philosophy Degree You searched Google. No answers. So na Nairaland go fit do wetin Google no fit do.

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Nobody: 3:33am On Nov 23, 2017
cuteralph101:
but he learnt politics from animals...

And he became president
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by birdman(m): 4:03am On Nov 23, 2017
you can ponder why heat straightens out plaintains as they turn to boli, while you are selling it on the roadside. or wether peanuts are better boiled or roasted as you sell satchets of groundnut
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Nogen: 4:16am On Nov 23, 2017
@OP, have you heard of Neuroscience before? Google it. Your degree in philosophy can help you do a Masters degree in Neuroscience abroad. The problem in Nigerian Universities is that they are still teaching ancient courses whose career prospects have been extinct!
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by overdoseme: 4:48am On Nov 23, 2017
Google is ur friend and does not bite. Gbam!
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by AntiWailer: 5:33am On Nov 23, 2017
A philosopher.

I am in a hurry, next question please.

My dear, if there is no prospect of changing to Law in 200L. Go back home and write JAMB again.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by God2man(m): 6:22am On Nov 23, 2017
Develop your writing skills, read more books and become a great author.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Coldfeets: 6:40am On Nov 23, 2017
Stop thinking about getting a job with your philosophy degree.

Just make sure you become very interested in philosophy such that you will have so many philosophical topics or matters to discuss.

Then start your own philosophy blog which you can easily monetize.

I love philosophy.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by DonRossy: 6:56am On Nov 23, 2017
Whatever you are be a good one. Philosophy is all encompassing.I studied philosophy and a month after my youth service I got a bank Job in Sterling Bank Plc Azikiwe Branch Aba to be precise. I worked there for two years after which I got another Job in Federal Government Agency where I am currently and I am doing well. Let me also let you know that I was a banker per excellent when I was in Bank i.e I have always distinguished myself then, even now. Please don't let anyone discourage you. Concentrate and make good grade and the sky will be you stepping stone to greatness. Remove from your mind what you are going to do with the certificate and fix your mind on how u are going to make good grade.I have never in any way regretted been a philosopher anytime and I will never regret.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by veraiyke(m): 6:58am On Nov 23, 2017
MISSCONGENIALITY:
If you have been offered philosophy as a course, study it with all your mind and you will love it. I don't mean you you do copy and paste because people have told you on nairaland that it's a useless course. Philosophy is life. Everything we do is philosophy.Most people think it's abstract and not applicable in reality which is a big lie. You will understand yourself and people around you better if you study philosophy. You will appreciate the concept of God better with a knowledge of philosophy. You won't even wait for someone to employ you after studying philosophy. And even when you are employed, you will make a difference if you know what philosophy is about. You will think clearly and logically after studying philosophy. You are expected to be a better leader being a philosopher.
According to Plato, a doctor should not be a politician, a lawyer should not be a school teacher, an academician should not be a dancer, an engineer should not be a soldier because he wasn't trained for that but in Nigeria anything goes. According to him too, only the best (philosopher king) should rule. But in Nigeria the best can't even come out to speak for fear of being killed.
However, we should acquire knowledge for its sake and not for getting a job. If you study because you want to get a job with your certificate, you will end up getting frustrated cos you might not get the knowledge and you might still not get the job.
Acquire knowledge first, then use to knowledge to help yourself.
Congratulations.
Make sure to have fun because philosophy is so interesting. It will open your mind to a lot of things. It will be as if you are studying all the courses.
Like Phil of law.
Phil of sci.
Phil of edu.
Phil of rel.
Gender ethics
Metaphysics and lots of them.
I chose law but ended up studying philosophy and psychology and I don't regret it.
The thing is that most of these courses are not known to prospective students.
very good
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by TheManofTomorrow(m): 7:14am On Nov 23, 2017
Samswags9:

I Dey Ago Iwoye Now
Then that means you have accepted your fate and paid ur school fee. Its non refundable. U may rewrite jamb to enroll for next year if u find the course not up to ur taste. I will advice u to put in ur bxt.
Prosper on bro. Also in ago iwoye now
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by ojojoshuaseun: 7:16am On Nov 23, 2017
na wa for all of una if don't know an concrete advice to give d poster you can't u keep shut
abeg has fuoye release their admission list
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by ojojoshuaseun: 7:26am On Nov 23, 2017
pls how can I post a post on thisb
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Dhotseal(m): 7:33am On Nov 23, 2017
For asking this question, you already missed it.
Please goan succeed, what u studied got nothing to do with your success.

All the best!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. / What's The Toughest Course You Did/you Are Doing In School? / NUC Approves Three New Universities In Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.