Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,659 members, 7,820,321 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? (26333 Views)

UNIUYO: Lecturer Punishes Students For Making Noise In Philosophy Class (photos) / Professor Sophie Oluwole Is Dead (First Nigerian Female Phd Holder In Philosophy / What Can One Do For Masters After A Degree In Philosophy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Heartbender: 7:38am On Nov 23, 2017
There's a lot you can do with a degree in philosophy.You can work in the military or paramilitary which includes but not limited to immigration, NSCDC, Police,etc. You can also be a consultant to the legislature executive, law firms and the judiciary, generally. You can advise NGOs and government institutions. You can work in the social works sector, lecture, be a civil servant, teach or consult for religious organisations. There's a lot you can do. All you need to do now is know the profession. I'm a lawyer but I tell you, you have more prospects of working in many organisations than some legal practitioners. I hope this helps

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Royaldave200(m): 7:38am On Nov 23, 2017
Philosophers are classified... We have the realist, the idealist, in any organisation one of the two aforementioned or even both are needed, so just put your best into studying. Heaven help those who help themselves.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by MissRaine69(f): 7:39am On Nov 23, 2017
In Nigeria unless connected
Nothing ...
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by etimocity(m): 8:20am On Nov 23, 2017
you'll work anywere depends on your high connection so far.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Rotimijoguntayo(m): 8:27am On Nov 23, 2017
With B.A Philosophy, you can build your career in administrative/Secretariat services. You can also be a public, political and communication analyst. Military , paramilitary and public relation profession is also there for you. Doing some professional exams like ASCON NIM, CIPM, safety management etc will also help you in building your career. Opportunity awaits you as lecturer in theological and tertiary institutions where philosophy is taking as major course and General studies (GNS). Philosophy would build you to be logical, rational and analytical in nature in the journey of life. I wish you success
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Fynestboi: 8:58am On Nov 23, 2017
UbanmeUdie:
shocked

Some courses in the University are curses.
Philosophy is definitely one of such curses!

Don't waste your time and resources in pursuing a degree in philosophy, you will end up asking if truly there is God because the degree will be useless.

E better say u go learn vulcanizing than studying that shameful curse course called philosophy.

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Fynestboi: 9:01am On Nov 23, 2017
Heartbender:
There's a lot you can do with a degree in philosophy.You can work in the military or paramilitary which includes but not limited to immigration, NSCDC, Police,etc. You can also be a consultant to the legislature executive, law firms and the judiciary, generally. You can advise NGOs and government institutions. You can work in the social works sector, lecture, be a civil servant, teach or consult for religious organisations. There's a lot you can do. All you need to do now is know the profession. I'm a lawyer but I tell you, you have more prospects of working in many organisations than some legal practitioners. I hope this helps

On point. cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Fynestboi: 9:05am On Nov 23, 2017
Royaldave200:
Philosophers are classified... We have the realist, the idealist, in any organisation one of the two aforementioned or even both are needed, so just put your best into studying. Heaven help those who help themselves.

There is nothing like classification. All those realist and Idealist shii, only works for those in the academical line(Lecturer etc). Your ability to apply this stuff, is what the outside world would demand from you.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Fynestboi: 9:11am On Nov 23, 2017
Mmadu111:
While in 100L studying it, I still advise you to retake jamb for your dream course, it's not funny out there in the labor market. Just study a course that will give you easy chance to build a career after school. English language as a course is more better compare to Philosophy. My opinion though.

I bet you, you don't understand what you are saying, tell me the prospect of someone that studied English language, and I will show you how Philosophy can dust away English. Between who cares about what you study, standing out is what Philosophy would inculcate into you.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Fynestboi: 9:35am On Nov 23, 2017
Jeel:
Philosophers are idealist. They seek to profer solutions to difficult questions of life.

Wole Soyinka is a philosopher. Most great minds are directly or indirectly philosophers.

Every academic field has philosophers. Most of the things you study in the university were postulated by philosophers of old.

Wole soyinka is a philosopher keh? undecided undecided Maybe in the "loose sense though" . smiley
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Bush2: 9:39am On Nov 23, 2017
You can be recruited as higher ranking officet in the military, Police, Custom or any other security Agencies.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by omoelerin1: 10:16am On Nov 23, 2017
Go ahead and study the course. God knows the reason why you were given philosophy instead of law. I want to believe there is a divine purpose behind whatever comes to the way of a man. Nothing happens accidentally.
Don't lose that opportunity. Many have been looking for that admission for several years. If you have that degree in philosophy, it would be a stepping stone for you in the future in whatever you want to do. Who says you can't study law latter? It wound be even easier for you to get admission to read law.
Study hard, get a good grade. Who says you can't become a professor of philosophy?

In conclusion, you can work in countless organizations: You can work as a civil servant in any govt ministry and department. You can work as a reporter/journalist in any media or organization. You can work in the administrative and human resource department of any company. you can work in the bank. you can work in any non governmental organization, Think tank, civil society, you can work in your country's foreign mission and embassies abroad. You can work with any international organization, like UN, ECOWAS etc. You can work as a public analyst, consultant, editor, proofreader, writer.
If you start your own business, you will perform very well, because as a philosophy graduate you are a good manager.

After your first degree in philosophy, if you wish to go further, you can study for your Master/PhD in other courses like: Political science, international relations, history, sociology, public administration, peace and conflict studies, diplomatic and strategic studies, mass communication, journalism and so on.
Good luck to you.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Chimex30(m): 10:51am On Nov 23, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Absolutely nothing.
It's a waste.

Even with a degree in Philosophy, an illiterate stands a better chance in life.
I'd advice you don't quit on your quest to study Law.
odiegwu oo
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by efficiencie(m): 11:46am On Nov 23, 2017
Frankly speaking, Philosophy has little or no direct relevance given the realities of the Nigerian economy and its labour market. However you can leverage on some of the interesting attributes of Philosophy towards becoming useful to yourself and your society.

From your write up I can assume that you do not have a strong flair for mathematics and the computational sciences. If you did, I would have recommended you place due focus on LOGIC, CRITICAL AND CREATIVE THINKING, PHILOSOPHY OF RATIONALISM and the PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE. These will deepen your reasoning ability and make it easy for you to venture into heavily systematic fields like the computational sciences, programming or data analysis (either through personal study or via an advanced degree like a PGD or MSc) which are relevant in the labour market.

However if you are the non-analytical type, you could leverage on ETHICS, PHILOSOPHY OF EDUCATION, PHILOSOPHY OF SOCIAL SCIENCE, SOCIO-POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY and RESEARCH METHODOLOGY and these could open the door for further studies in human resource management, strategic management, etc which are relevant in the labour market.

Look out for courses that have the potential to open doors to other relevant disciplines and also look of for PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT...I hope this helps.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Mcleo007(m): 12:21pm On Nov 23, 2017
Dear OP,

I am a proud graduate of Philosophy with a very strong 2.1. Philosophy is a unique course, but due to obvious mis-realities of our society, the course is given little or no credence. To answer your question, you can do anything you want with the course. I have colleagues who are bankers now, Lecturers, Human resource personnel, Insurance brokers, entrepreneurs and so much more. Some went ahead to bag certifications in Health related fields, Social peace and Urbanization, Law (Yes, Law) etc... I am an entrepreneur today, thanks to my deep love for, and knowledge garnered in the study of Philosophy as a course. The potentials are limitless and trust me, I never regretted studying it a for a day.

So please, get on with the course, come out with flying grades and watch as you go out to conquer the world.

-IBL
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by vivvyo(m): 12:29pm On Nov 23, 2017
Read some comments and found them funny.
honestly with a philosophy degree,you can work Anywhere

those of u you saying philosophy would make him an atheist ,I wonder where you got that idea,,I guess ure just limiting your thought to faulty assumptions.

philosophy is broader than you think,
a first degree in philosophy allows what first degrees in other disciplines do not allow in schooling.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Mmadu111: 12:07am On Nov 24, 2017
Fynestboi:

I bet you, you don't understand what you are saying, tell me the prospect of someone that studied English language, and I will show you how Philosophy can dust away English. Between who cares about what you study, standing out is what Philosophy would inculcate into you.
Perhaps you're still undergrad of Philosophy or graduate of Philosophy, the reality is that it's tough for those with philosophy degrees. It's your full right to defend your course but reality can never be covered. Some courses are Better of only for post graduate level and not for under grad level and philosophy is just one of them. Your Lengthy defensive approach or attack can never change the fact that most philosophy graduates are going through mess with that degree, only those that switched career are enjoying.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by encryptjay(m): 2:16am On Nov 24, 2017
Wherever I see knowledge, it gives me joy. I carefully scrutinised the posts of philosophy students and graduates here and I saw grandeur astuteness in their posts.
It's a pity we don't think in this country so I wasn't surprised seeing some ludicrous posts for the sake of Nairaland likes.
Accept the course and study well, your mind will take you far.
Everybody cannot be doctors, engineers and pharmacists, we need philosophers, historians, English language etc to have a balance.
Forget titles.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Samswags9(m): 6:18pm On Nov 29, 2017
Blackfyre:
Go into politics.....GEJ studied Zoology and became president...

Baseless!!!
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Samswags9(m): 6:19pm On Nov 29, 2017
eleojo23:
Don't worry OP, you will work with Socrates.

I'm Speechless
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Samswags9(m): 6:19pm On Nov 29, 2017
pdpisGONE:
become a nairaland super moderator

Just Grow Up
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Samswags9(m): 6:21pm On Nov 29, 2017
Donemmaco:
Join Police Force
God Forbid
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Samswags9(m): 6:22pm On Nov 29, 2017
TheMainMan:
i don't knw what u will do with philosophy buh i have another advice for u

take the course serious and don't joke with it

just because u r not offered law doesn't mean u should joke with it or u might find urself where u don't like

no course is bad... its what u have in u

best of luck

Encouraging
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Samswags9(m): 6:24pm On Nov 29, 2017
KingLennon:
You can work as a Verterinary Doctor with the certificate. Shey we be google? grin

Who Is Even Seeking For Your Opinion
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Samswags9(m): 6:26pm On Nov 29, 2017
doctorkush:
cheesy you can work at aro psychiatric hospital, yaba left or any institution constituting human with higher knowledge cheesy ... bro welcome to the world of madness.

I will advice you start learning aromatic behaviour now. congrats

Your Father, I Say Your Father, I Repeat Again I Say Your Father Will Be Welcomed Into The World Of Madness.
Oloriburuku Somebody
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Samswags9(m): 6:28pm On Nov 29, 2017
UbanmeUdie:
shocked

Some courses in the University are curses.
Philosophy is definitely one of such curses!

Don't waste your time and resources in pursuing a degree in philosophy, you will end up asking if truly there is God because the degree will be useless.

E better say u go learn vulcanizing than studying that shameful curse course called philosophy.

You're Confused!!!
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Samswags9(m): 6:30pm On Nov 29, 2017
Alariiwo:
You'll open a poultry farm and manage it.
Like Your Father Did
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Samswags9(m): 6:33pm On Nov 29, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
Some courses we offer in this country should just be scrapped. How can one study Philosophy single honors in this country?

There's a difference between Philosophy and Psychology.

Op, do your 4 yrs with good grades, do a professional certification in Human Resource (HR). Cost over 300k to pass the exams then you can start applying as HR person when there's an opening.

Please Lay More Emphasis
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Samswags9(m): 6:38pm On Nov 29, 2017
felifeli:

You may find work as a freelance meme poster on Facebook
Your Mouth Tear For There
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Samswags9(m): 6:43pm On Nov 29, 2017
Rollyluv:

By doing ur Master's in Law
How Many Years Will That Be
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Nov 29, 2017
Samswags9:

Your Father, I Say Your Father, I Repeat Again I Say Your Father Will Be Welcomed Into The World Of Madness.
Oloriburuku Somebody
such a brilliant madness performance, u sabi ...cheesy ... naa your papa u use madness resemble? abi naa family hereditary were
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Samswags9(m): 8:44pm On Nov 29, 2017
doctorkush:
such a brilliant madness performance, u sabi ...cheesy ... naa your papa u use madness resemble? abi naa family hereditary were

We Know People Like You.
Na Ogun Idile Dey Worry Your Generation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

NUC Approves Three New Universities In Delta State / Students Pour Paint On Two UNIZIK Graduates (Photos) / Juniour WAEC Past Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.