Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,796 members, 7,827,940 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (113) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (920372 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nefo: 7:58am On Feb 03, 2018
brightdocare:

I think we need to relate... you can email me on brightdocare4all@gmail.com
or you may drop your email so I can contact you..
thanks

My email is mails4mbanefo@yahoo.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Josh4wod: 8:50am On Feb 03, 2018
femi312:
No big deal about that but it might be a red flag to a VO and it might not be to another. I will advise you spread your risk well, why even apply to 3 schools in the same state when there are so many great programs spread across the US.
Thanks a lot
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Josh4wod: 8:58am On Feb 03, 2018
goodemma20:
Let me guess, you have someone in that state cheesy.There's nothing wrong at all, but you have to prepare a solid and convincing response in case the VO decide to ask why, or better still, look for schools with cheap app fees(if you don't have enough money) in other states and apply to them as well to make sure no eye brows are raised in that direction.
I really appreciate your response
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Josh4wod: 9:00am On Feb 03, 2018
folmus:

It's good to apply to more than one school but better to have at least one in a different state and best in 3 different states.
Thank you sir
I will do as advised!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Josh4wod: 9:02am On Feb 03, 2018
LagosismyHome:

It can be ok but prepare for this question why are all in one state. If you can answer that well then that fine . If u know u cannot answer that well then apply to schools in multiple state as the main issue is that it flags u have someone in that state

That in itself is not bad as long as u are full prepared on answering it well

Awon ti Ilu Ako

I hail you ma, I can't even take the risk......
I will follow your advise and split it.

Infact 3 schools in 3 States

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by qonfupanda: 9:24am On Feb 03, 2018
Good morning.

Someone should please help me on how to get SAT study materials.
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Naughtyvirgin(m): 9:40am On Feb 03, 2018
https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/practice/full-length-practice-tests

qonfupanda:
Good morning.

Someone should please help me on how to get SAT study materials.
Thanks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by qonfupanda: 9:45am On Feb 03, 2018
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 9:49am On Feb 03, 2018
Nefo:

My email is mails4mbanefo@yahoo.com

Check your email..,I Sent you a mail
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by imperiouxx(m): 10:17am On Feb 03, 2018
temitope2598:

Oh...nice! PA's are in demand too.
I need your opinion on this seeing you've been in the US for a while now.
Would you advise a medical doctor from Nigeria who is trying to write Usmle to do MPH or any health related graduate degree? OR opt for PA or ADN degree while taking time to write exams.

She said people have advised her that getting residency even after writing the exams could be a long and expensive process. And that it's a win win with PA or ADN as there's a better chance of getting a job quickly.

What's your opinion please?. Any other doctor in the house could chip in their suggestions.

Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) option:

Pros:

• All you need is to apply to a community college with your basic credential from anywhere you're.
• There is 1 year opt employment option and possibility for career development i.e to BSN and NP.

Cons:

• There are ADN jobs but she still has to deal with change of status after school to get a full time job... 1 year opt can be a leverage.
• She might gets stuck here and may not continue with her career plan which is medicine.
• ADN job is a cheap job... I mean not what she would expect as an MD.
• Nursing is not medicine. Anyone that has done medicine would know what I mean.... Nursing is bedside caring.

Physician Assistant (PA) option:

Pros:

• Yes, juicy jobs straight out of school (rotation)
• Flexibility to switch specialty which MDs don't have
• Shorter rotations (1 year in clinic, residency optional) than MD (2 years in clinic, residency mandatory and longer) but longer than NP (2-3 months in clinic, no residency)

Cons:

• You can't work while in school like MD unlike NP (mad lots of online NP programs)
• Tuition alone is ≥ $100,000
• It's a marathon studies of medicine in 2 years
• Damn lots of requirement. Minimum requirements for PA schools before one can have a good chance for an admission interview are

○ All prereqs done in US (core sciences done within 5 years time limit) with ≥B+ grade (i.e Chem I&II, Bio I&II, A&P I&II, 1 OChem/Biochem, 2 Micro, 2 Psy, 1 Stat), then other variable prereqs depending on the program
○ ≥ 40 hrs PA shadow
○ ≥ 100 hrs volunteering
○ ≥ 500 hrs patient care experience in U.S
○ ≥ 3.0 CGPA and ≥ 3.5 Science GPA
○ 3-5 Recommendations
○ Good GRE score
○ Good SOP
○ B.S degree in US (as substitute for this, few schools would accept any US degree e.g MS/PhD + all prereqs done in U.S)
○ ≥ Green card (very few schools would accept students on F1 visa already living in U.S)
○ Then apply to ≥ 7 PA schools (each ≥ $100) if you want to increase your chance of getting interviews.

My Verdict:

PA program is designed in a way that you don't hop from PA to MD and there is only one school that offers a PA-DO bridge. PA is another hectic route entirely and tougher to get in than most med schools. Some of these requirements are hard to get and it will take her at least 2 years to get them. PA is only for those who want to be PAs. It's a very good profession and worth the stress 100%. But if she wants to continue being MD, she should go for the option she has on ground, endure the time, write her tests and become MD.... time flies fast before you know it. I have a relative here that's an MD via this option. ADN is cheap, if all she's interested in is job, she shouldn't forget that she still has to change her status before she can get a full time job..... how much nursing jobs file, I don't know. Resident status is not dashed to anyone.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by shoo266: 11:36am On Feb 03, 2018
[quote author=temitope2598 post=64738367]

Oh...nice! PA's are in demand too.

My advice is for you to clearly and realistically define your goals before making any movement.

PA is a different pathway entirely and very expensive...not realistic if you’re not ready to commit a lot of money and time to a new profession.

ADN to me doesn’t make sense for a doctor with serious ambitions. You might find it difficult to live with the change of status.

MPH is a good option if you’re ready to forget about clinical practice or if you think you can combine writing usmle with it. Very very difficult process but people have gone through that path and succeeded in the past. It all depends on your level of motivation, family and financial support.

Masters in clinical research is another good option if you’re ready to forgo clinical practice for clinical research, you can get reasonable jobs after and possibly get sponsorships for J1 research visa. You can also combine this with writing usmle if you have the right motivation and support as stated for MPH.

Having gone through the process, i can tell you that usmle is very difficult but achievable but you should only go for it if you’re ready to be entirely committed to the process. You will be competing with the indians and pakistanis that ace the test almost to perfection so you have to compete and be among the best. Don’t take chances with being just average.

A realistic option for an MD in Nigeria is PLAB, less stressful process, easier exam, jobs available for you after passing unlike usmle where you still have to compete for limited available spots.

All above are based on personal experience and in my opinion. Opinions varies.
Good luck.

Abiodshoo@gmail.com is you need further clearifications.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by samhardy: 12:52pm On Feb 03, 2018
folmus:

It's an old, traditional school; no wahala. Just go and do well with your interview.

Thanks man. I appreciate ur response. I ll start preparing 4 my interview. I would also love u to assist me with some mock bfor d-deal. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by temitope2598: 2:25pm On Feb 03, 2018
imperiouxx:

Thank you imperiouxx, for taking time to highlight all the Pros and Cons.
That was indeed helpful!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by temitope2598: 2:48pm On Feb 03, 2018
[quote author=shoo266 post=64745878][/quote]

Thank you shoo, for taking your time to share your opinion. It was really good to read from the perspective of someone in the same field.

I guess the MPH or Clinical Research option would be the way to go...(hopefully she gets some form of funding and GA to help ease the financial implications of that.) Combining masters and usmle could be a daunting task though, but like you said her motivation has a strong role to play.

As regards PLAB, she considered that option but found out most getting a residency spot in the UK is even more tasking.

Thanks again, will forward your email to her.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 3:07pm On Feb 03, 2018
temitope2598:

Thank you shoo, for taking your time to share your opinion. It was really good to read from the perspective of someone in the same field.

I guess the MPH or Clinical Research option would be the way to go...(hopefully she gets some form of funding and GA to help ease the financial implications of that.) Combining masters and usmle could be a daunting task though, but like you said her motivation has a strong role to play.

As regards PLAB, she considered that option but found out most getting a residency spot in the UK is even more tasking.

Thanks again, will forward your email to her.

She needs to do her research well.... plab uk route is way easier than usmle residency route . Especially if she goes for general practice
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by imperiouxx(m): 3:52pm On Feb 03, 2018
shoo266:
All above are based on personal experience and in my opinion. Opinions varies.
Good luck.

Well said.

Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by seriki1563: 5:49pm On Feb 03, 2018
brightdocare:

I think we need to relate... you can email me on brightdocare4all@gmail.com
or you may drop your email so I can contact you..
thanks
hello my brother, i am currently in the state and i wanna ask if you have gone for the interview or not.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by seriki1563: 5:51pm On Feb 03, 2018
Nefo:
Hi Nairalanders,

I am seeking affordable student housing in Houston, Texas. I will be attending Houston Community College this fall for a two year programme. The school does not have housing for it's students. Please I will appreciate information on how to secure an affordable apartment for the duration of my schooling. Since I will be paying out of pocket, I will require something cheap but decent. Classes will be taken at 4638 Airline Drive, Houston, TX 77022
have you gone for the interview or not?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 6:31pm On Feb 03, 2018
seriki1563:

hello my brother, i am currently in the state and i wanna ask if you have gone for the interview or not.

not yet

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by GREATNESS007: 7:04pm On Feb 03, 2018
Hello House, I read Geology in a Federal University and finished from With a low second class lower and I am currently looking at doing my masters in Usa. Pls can someone link me with graduate schools in Usa that accepts 2.2 or any advice. Pls ur recommendations are urgently needed as I don't ave further time to waste. Pls help. many thanks house
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Naughtyvirgin(m): 7:30pm On Feb 03, 2018
qonfupanda:
many thanks to you sir

Anytime man
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 8:50pm On Feb 03, 2018
StackNerd:
Please , how can one transfer money from Nigerian dollar domiliiary account to a US account such as a PNC account. Has anybody done this before and what are the charges incurred.
Hi pls can I pm you?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by StackNerd: 9:16pm On Feb 03, 2018
Adeish:
Hi pls can I pm you?
Of course!.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by imperiouxx(m): 10:03pm On Feb 03, 2018
GREATNESS007:
Hello House, I read Geology in a Federal University and finished from With a low second class lower and I am currently looking at doing my masters in Usa. Pls can someone link me with graduate schools in Usa that accepts 2.2 or any advice. Pls ur recommendations are urgently needed as I don't ave further time to waste. Pls help. many thanks house

What cgpa is the 2.2... that's the only way we can know where you stand.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by boboboss: 10:13pm On Feb 03, 2018
Hello house, please I need some suggestions on cheap schools to study Msc supply chain and logistics from gurus in the house. All I been seeing are just colleges, I studied chemistry science with a cgpa of 3.65/5.00 but my career path as been in supply chain management for more than 5 years now. Guys please help me out.
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 10:17pm On Feb 03, 2018
Yhello my people , I wanted to know if university of Pittsburgh accept TOEFL or IELTS for Masters student in Economics as admission requirement ? I saw something like this on tjeir website : "...Also exempt from this requirement are applicants whose native language is not English but who have completed a degree program at an institution outside of the United States where the language of instruction is English and where the official national language of the country in which the institution is located is English." Does it mean they dont? Anyone for Univ of Pittsburgh or with an idea should kindly respond . thanks

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Gospelozy(f): 10:42pm On Feb 03, 2018
Good evening house.
Please is it possible to change a recommender already submitted?
Please i need ASAP answer.
Thanks & Happy Sunday house.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nwabu007(m): 12:51am On Feb 04, 2018
I believe you should be able to edit and/or remove a recommender of your choice.

Gospelozy:
Good evening house.
Please is it possible to change a recommender already submitted?
Please i need ASAP answer.
Thanks & Happy Sunday house.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Teedawg: 1:53am On Feb 04, 2018
Walspring:

You funny ooo. grin
na true now
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Teedawg: 1:54am On Feb 04, 2018
Hushee:

Please dont try that for now, look into something else.
okay thanks!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 2:12am On Feb 04, 2018
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by folmus: 5:02am On Feb 04, 2018
boboboss:
Hello house, please I need some suggestions on cheap schools to study Msc supply chain and logistics from gurus in the house. All I been seeing are just colleges, I studied chemistry science with a cgpa of 3.65/5.00 but my career path as been in supply chain management for more than 5 years now. Guys please help me out.
Thanks

University of Houston.

Good luck

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.