Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:25 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (461) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (916532 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (458) (459) (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Officialhow(m): 12:02am On Jul 26, 2018
I been following this thread for a while now and it's mostly been engineering courses and the rest. are there no aspiring biochemistry students going for msc and phd here?

tho i just started my own journey i'm on 6mnths I.T till december and have started preparing for GRE now, hoping to write by january b4 resuming for my final year. PHd Biochemistry is my aim.
#I'mComing ;DI
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nitta08(f): 12:06am On Jul 26, 2018
jelmusboy:
In-flight entertainment of Royal Air Maroc is zero, food not great. I don't think I will choose them anymore except I am a cash-strapped

Ha, not good...
Thanks for the info.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nitta08(f): 12:08am On Jul 26, 2018
Ijebuboy525:

They’ll take you to a place just like refugee camp, and the food is nothing to talk about, you can arrange something for your self, safe trip

shocked shocked
cry

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by rkay(f): 12:13am On Jul 26, 2018
LagosismyHome:

Congrats ...May God bless your new journey
thank you very much. Amen
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 12:14am On Jul 26, 2018
In order to join the US army, I am told that I need a green card or a permanent residence card. How long do I have to live in the U.S to get one?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by rkay(f): 12:14am On Jul 26, 2018
haywhizzy21:
When u felt u were at your best ,your visa wasnt guven, such is life.GRACE# congrat dear...

Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by rkay(f): 12:16am On Jul 26, 2018
Is anybody in Iowa or going to Iowa on nairaland?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by OluDare01(m): 12:30am On Jul 26, 2018
rkay:
Is anybody in Iowa or going to Iowa on nairaland?
There are people in Iowa. Make use of the search button.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 12:30am On Jul 26, 2018
Spygadgets19:
In order to join the US army, I am told that I need a green card or a permanent residence card. How long do I have to live in the U.S to get one?
Just by living? If it were by that everybody will be a greencard older. You don't get a green card just by living in the US. You get it via work or marriage or investment.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by lockupman(m): 12:43am On Jul 26, 2018
How long you live in the US doesn't determine whether you'll become eligible for a green card. There are eligibility requirements you must meet before you can ADJUST YOUR STATUS to become a Legal Permanent Resident (Green Card) holder:
https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/eligibility-categories

Spygadgets19:

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Rasengan02(m): 12:58am On Jul 26, 2018
NefT:
I finally collect am today.

Dem approve am on saturday 21st July 2018.
Infact i go knack my white lace native with cap ontop am as a typical Yoruba man wey I be; the plan na to dey unique for the entire crowd.
Na so the lady wey do finger print for me just dey smile dey sere me. She wished me the best all the same
Na so the CGI guy almost carry me go d fair in complexion african american lady wey no get joy at all she just dey dash baba blue everywhere. I almost leave the queue but finally he direct me go inner room windows 8.
First girl was almost denied, see drama oh! D guy almost dey cry saying, "dem fit afford am" I was surprised the guy retrieved the blue paper after so much plea. Na so him circle white paper telling the little girl going for undergraduate to send a new bank statement of at least six months tothe consulate. Na so she carryherself comt, she spent over10mintes during the drama.

The next lady enter, na straight baba blue less than a 2 minutes.

Na so i enter smiling a little bit tensed.

VO: Good morning
Me : Good morning,
VO: Where are you going to
Me: I am going to to Uni of Kansas fo my doctorate degree in chem engin
VO: how will you pay
Me: my Uncle
VO: why would he want to sponsor
Me: I lived with him for 15years, he has been sponsoring my education, encouraging me togofor a Phd that opportunities that come with it are endless

VO: do you have his statement, what does he do
Me: him retire for NNPC as director, presently dey run farming with properties in in US and UK
VO: peruse d letter head, oh he is an engineer, did not bother looking at main statement.
ME: na engineer him be o
VO: i can see you arecredible studnt, i will be approving your vis, quickly picked white paper, me no hear anything again o
VO: sorry what is keck or something. He was asking about the skul I applied last year
Me: i explained, na so he say make i no worry, see joy! I no know when i raise my hand up, people just dey look me, say wetin dey do this yoruba man.
I got outside, na so i bone face because of the tax collector, the taught I was denied.
Na so village people follow me reach consulate o! I noticed say i was still holding passport and white paper.

I had to spend another 1:15minutes to gain access to the consulate and submit it back due to protocol.

The secret: i had to apply for a PhDsince first denial last year was on the basis of going for another ma sters and the consular told me to go apply for a PhD. Although, i went back with a new i-20 then with a comment saying i have been admitted for a PhD but that i willhave to complete the masters program, the second interview didnt go well as planned, later I pondered on my possible flaws and learnt from all my mistakes vowing not to go with a masters i-20 after the second denial.
Also, my DS160 are all consistent except the school
I sent you a pm

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by iceberge: 1:39am On Jul 26, 2018
I was interviewed at the abuja embassy yesterday, 25th of july, by a white lady in window 7. It was a very brief interview. I'm not sure if it lasted up to 2mins and most of the time was spent typing by her. Below is my transcript (so sorry its short, thats just how it happened)

VO: pass me ur passport and I20 pls (i did. she typed for a few seconds-really fast) so why San Diego State?
ME: because Prof Oxxx's research work resonates with me. I am interested in....(VO cuts in)
VO: I see ur assistantship covers the entire cost
ME: Yes. Moreso, i was just recently awarded a University Fellowship...(Cuts in quite excitedly)
VO: By San Diego State?
ME: Yes
VO: What was your masters degree on?
ME: Materials Engineering
VO: I see. I will be approving your visa! (passes white paper)

NB: I am going for a PhD in Engineering Sciences on a fully funded RA and just recently got the prestigious University Graduate Fellowship

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Generalkorex(m): 2:50am On Jul 26, 2018
Mayflowa:

It is easy to see that you would have financial challenge in US. You don't have any form of scholarship. How would your salary saved as an IT consultant in Naira foot your bills for 3 or so years? Be truthful to yourself - How did you really intend to pay a minimum of 25 million Naira in 3 years of schooling? It is not like your company is sponsoring you and will continue paying you while on study. It is even difficult for Americans to pay for their college education by themselves even while working. They go to school on FAFSA loan to be paid back in many decades after graduation.

If you mentioned a relative sponsoring you, that would serve you better. At least the person would continue doing his work/business while you are in school in US.

Lastly, your telling that the other school you applied to denied you admission show how weak a student you are. By all fairness, anyone would likely deny you the student visa unless you work on these two points. Wish you luck on your reapplication.

I need your contact sir.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 3:36am On Jul 26, 2018
iceberge:
I was interviewed at the abuja embassy yesterday, 25th of july, by a white lady in window 7. It was a very brief interview. I'm not sure if it lasted up to 2mins an
Congrats. Just curious, you chose San diego state over TAMU college station?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by iceberge: 3:51am On Jul 26, 2018
femi312:

Yea! Its actually a joint phd (UC san diego + san diego state), and more importantly, I have a better research fit at UCSD+SDSU compared to TAMU college station
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 3:53am On Jul 26, 2018
iceberge:

Yea! Its actually a joint phd (UC san diego + san diego state), and more importantly, I have a better research fit at UCSD+SDSU compared to TAMU college station
Okay. All the best
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by lockupman(m): 4:12am On Jul 26, 2018
Pls anyone with 2018 GMAT materials to help a brother?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Enasdan(m): 6:28am On Jul 26, 2018
Pleeas I kindly need your advice, if an applicant was denied a visa, 2 months ago, but want to reapply in filling the new DS-160 form, his status has changed.like salary from 85k to 110k, from unmarried to married, has traveled to two neighbouring African countries, in an interval of 3 months, will this create suspicious tendencies at the embassy during visa interview by the vo. what your suggestions and recommendations. kindly help on this

@ Ubah1
Nahum777
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by 05tim05: 6:40am On Jul 26, 2018
femi312:

Chai
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Senatorbee(m): 6:55am On Jul 26, 2018
femi312:
Just by living? If it were by that everybody will be a greencard older. You don't get a green card just by living in the US. You get it via work or marriage or investment.
Pls I got only the link to the SOP
Remain the LOR, as I intend to juxtapose it to arrive at what I desire.
Pls kindly assist in posting it
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Tunmise100(m): 7:22am On Jul 26, 2018
daking10:
Good evening people.....
I've been a silent follower of this thread in the days leading to my interview.

I had my interview on the 21st July... Was slated for 10:45am but got there before 8am. The biometrics and checking in where painstaking. At the end ofth day I found myself facing the VO and the following interview ensued ...

VO: Good morning

ME: Good morning (smiling but the cool dude didn't seem to be in the mood for that)

VO:What are you going to study?

ME: I am going to University of Toledo to do my masters in chemical engineering, same course I have a Bachelor's degree in

VO: Why this course (actually for some weird or obvious reason I never saw this question coming, like my undergraduate degree is in chemical engineering what course was he expecting me to do a masters in) so I kinda motioned like I didn't get his question and he repeated it.

ME: I want to do a masters in chemical engineering so I could specialize in catalysis and sustainable energy especially in the area of biofuels, in my undergraduate research I worked on the synthesis of an ultra stable catalyst for use in breaking down petroleum product (wanted to say FCC (fluid catalytic cracking) but the word skipped my mind). With that knowledge I want to delve into the aspect of sustainable energy and work on catalysts that would be applicable.... (Actually I was so taken aback by the question that I couldn't make my response cohesive towards the end but I didn't let that show in my countenance)

VO:Where did you hear of this school

ME: Actually when I wanted to apply for graduate school I discussed with my undergraduate research supervisor who suggested some schools to me with Utoledo being one of them. After which I checked the department website and discovered alligned faculty interest in catalysis and energy, I reached out to a faculty whose research I'm interested in and she shared her journal with me and was open to me joining her lab. Then I used USnews.com to see the ranking and school profile while I also used grad cafe to see acceptance rates for profiles similar to mine and discovered I stand a good chance

VO: What will this course do for you

ME: I plan to take up a lecturing position in my alma matter, I have been discussing with my undergraduate research supervisor who was the HOD while I was in school and he has assured me the department will be willing to receive me especially as I not only graduated as the best student in the department but also as the best student in engineering and the whole school and received both Dean's and VC's award at my convocation

VO: I'll be approving your visa....then said the normal pickup thing and handed me the white paper

ME: thanks. Walking away like an achieved man trying to contain the smile....

I did learn a great deal from here....this is me giving back.

Congratulations scholar. Go and Excel
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Tunmise100(m): 7:22am On Jul 26, 2018
iceberge:
I was interviewed at the abuja embassy yesterday, 25th of july, by a white lady in window 7. It was a very brief interview. I'm not sure if it lasted up to 2mins and most of the time was spent typing by her. Below is my transcript (so sorry its short, thats just how it happened)

VO: pass me ur passport and I20 pls (i did. she typed for a few seconds-really fast) so why San Diego State?
ME: because Prof Oxxx's research work resonates with me. I am interested in....(VO cuts in)
VO: I see ur assistantship covers the entire cost
ME: Yes. Moreso, i was just recently awarded a University Fellowship...(Cuts in quite excitedly)
VO: By San Diego State?
ME: Yes
VO: What was your masters degree on?
ME: Materials Engineering
VO: I see. I will be approving your visa! (passes white paper)

NB: I am going for a PhD in Engineering Sciences on a fully funded RA and just recently got the prestigious University Graduate Fellowship

Congratulations. Go and Excel
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jolowizzy11(m): 7:34am On Jul 26, 2018
I was denied a visa last week Wednesday,i guess it's because of the school I picked.....my question is that should I refire ? or should I apply to 2 good schools ? if yes , please kindly recommend 2 good schools for me for undergraduate studies..... lastly can I get a scholarship without any exams ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ubah1(m): 7:57am On Jul 26, 2018
Enasdan:
Pleeas I kindly need your advice, if an applicant was denied a visa, 2 months ago, but want to reapply in filling the new DS-160 form, his status has changed.like salary from 85k to 110k, from unmarried to married, has traveled to two neighbouring African countries, in an interval of 3 months, will this create suspicious tendencies at the embassy during visa interview by the vo. what your suggestions and recommendations. kindly help on this

@ Ubah1
Nahum777

I don't think that will create any suspicion. Salary change is nothing, as you are not the one sponsoring yourself. Am only concerned about the marriage part. So far, we have more people that got visa with single than married. So marriage doesn't serve as ties much again in USA embassy but it used to be. Things changes though. Just be sincere and pray for favour
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by lalahhh(f): 8:04am On Jul 26, 2018
LagosismyHome:

Love your determination of not giving up.... welldone

Congrats. God bless your new journey
Amen. Thank you ma’am
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by learner007(m): 8:25am On Jul 26, 2018
ChemEngr01:
To God be the glory! Visa approved on Saturday 21st July. I was interviewed by a White male at window 3. He wasn’t super nice, but wasn’t mean either; he kept looking at his screen and typing for much of the interview. Here’s our conversation:

Me: Good morning
V.O: Good morning

V.O: What course are you going for?
Me: I’m going for my Master’s degree in Chemical Engineering.

V.O: Why this course?
Me: I currently hold a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, and at this time I would love to specialize in one of the sub-divisions of Chemical Engineering, which is Renewable Energy. Particularly, I’ll be working on the production of biofuels from renewable sources such as algae and lingo-cellulosic biomass. With this degree and this specialization in renewable energy, when I return back to Nigeria I can apply for a higher position where I currently work and contribute my quota to improving the energy situation in Nigeria.

V.O: How did you hear about this school?
Me: It was recommended to me by my project supervisor during my final year of undergraduate studies.

V.O: Why this school?
Me: I chose The University of Toledo because there is ongoing research on my area of interest, which is renewable energy like I mentioned earlier.

V.O: How do you plan to pay for this?
Me: In addition to my full tuition scholarship, my uncle will take care of my other needs.

V.O: What does your uncle do?
Me: He works at …...

V.O: What will you do after this course?
Me: I’ll return back to my country and apply for a higher position at my current place of work.

V.O: Do you have a brother in the US?
Me: Yes.

V.O: Is he studying there?
Me: Yes

V.O: Your visa is approved. Pick it up at…….
Me: Thank you!

Kudos to those that have shared their transcripts here, and to those who continuosly answer people’s questions. God bless us all.

Congrats man. When you get to ur dept, look out for my friend, Omodolor Ibeh. He is a doctorate student on the same course and sch. Wish you all the best!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by learner007(m): 8:27am On Jul 26, 2018
lalahhh:
Im sorry but my post will be long. I decided to post this after seeing that my AP status changed to issued. First I’ll like to thank God for everything, Sorelee I thank you so so much, words can’t express how grateful I am to you. Ubah1 thank you for encouraging me. Kekenation thank you too. You guys are amazing. I have been to the embassy 7 times , 4 times last year and 3 times this year. I don’t think my last year’s transcripts would be necessary. So here’s my first interview transcript for this year.
Me- Good morning
VO- pass me your I 20 and passport
VO- where are you going to?
Me- North Carolina Central University, Durham, North Carolina for my masters in( VO cuts in)
VO- what are you going for?
Me- My Masters Degree in History
VO- how did you get this assistantship?
Me- The department’s Chair was impressed with my GRE, my transcript, statement of purpose and essay.
VO- so why did you change course and school ?
Me- sorry? I didn’t get that.
VO- the last time you were here you were wanted to go to Arcadia so why change to NCCU?
Me- Arcadia gave me partial scholarship while NCCU gave me the full ride and in NCCU, I get to minor in courses related to Peace and Conflict Resolution.
VO- so who would pay for other expenses
Me- I have family funds
VO-which family?
Me- My Uncle
VO- what does he do?
Me - he works with the Kwara state government, at the Lower Niger River Basin.
VO- where does he live?
Me- Kwara state
She looks at the I 20 for a while then drops it
She asked for bank statement which I gave to her
She stared at it for a while , typed somethings ... In my mind I was just praying , then she asked
VO- why is your Uncle paying
Me- my parents sent his to school so this is more like a more thank you and he has the money
VO- how many siblings do you have ?
Me- 5
VO- which Uncle would be paying for them?
Me- I am the last child
VO - what’s the name of your Uncle
Me- I said his name
Then she picked up the I 20 again .... looked at it again and asked
VO- are you married?
Me- NO I’m not
VO- do you have children?
Me - No I don’t
Then she finally said I’m sorry you are not found eligible at this time.
This was lagos embassy. I was advised to try Abuja embassy and I did. Interview was for June 30th.
VO- Good morning , Pass your I-20
Me- Answered her while passing it.
VO- I see you have been denied in Lagos , why come to Abuja ?
Me- after being denied I informed the school and I was asked to please try again but I checked Lagos embassy and I couldn’t get an early date but I got here in Abuja.
VO- while nodding her head, what are you going to do in United States of America
Me- I’m going for my masters in History in North Carolina Central University
VO- how many schools did you apply to?
Me- 4. University of Wyoming, Texas A&M, North Carolina A&T and NCCU.
VO- I see you have full tuition waver
Me - Ohh yes while opening all my 36
Then she picked up the white paper, in my mind I was saying Ohhh yes, come to Mama... I’m right here baby , then she looked at me my heartbeat increased rapidly.
VO- where is you sister
Me - Confused n lost .... sorry?
VO- I said where is your sister?
Me- she’s in USA on OTP
VO- why isn’t she back? When did she travel? When is her date of birth? When did she travel?
Me- ahhhh I don’t know the answers to all these questions.. we are not so close
VO- wait I’m trying to help you out here
Me - shaking, already disorganized
Then she finally said it ... I’m sorry I won’t be issuing your visa.
Me - why? What’s wrong?
So I got home, with the mind of this is the end , called my sister and explained everything to her . She explained the part I mixed and begged me to go one more time, reluctantly I said ok. Luckily for me, we got July 19th on that same day. Truthfully I wasn’t so hyped about the last interview, I was dressed casually. I got interviewed by this middle aged woman on Ankara. A very nice woman I must add infact the nicest VO I ever came across. So here is the third transcript
Me- Goodmorning
VO- Good morning, you passport and I-20 please
I gave it to her
VO - ohhh NCCU
Me - yeah North Carolina Central University
VO- so who’s sponsoring you?
Me- I have full tuition waver and family support
VO- family support?
Me- yea my uncle.
VO- what does he do?
Me- he works with Kwara state Government at the Lower Niger River Basin
VO- Kwara state?
Me- yea Kwara state.
VO- where is that on the map? While looking at her map
Me- can you see Oyo state? It’s right beside Oyo state.
VO- ohhh wow , I can see it now .
VO- I see you have been denied twice , what has changed about your application?
Me- the last time I came here , i noticed the VO kept asking me questions about my sister that I didn’t know about and she ended up denying me. I went home, called my sister and she explained everything to me.
VO- so explain it to me too
Me- I did . Told her everything
VO- you see the main reason why you have been denied all these while is because of your family history, you sister finished school and she didn’t return.
Me- but she’s still in OTP and that’s my sister not me
VO- i know and that’s why it’s called family history . il do you a favour , il overlook it
Me- thank you so much
VO- wait
Me - in my mind, mo daran kilotun sele bayii
VO- il place you on AP , if we find anything fraudulent about your documents, you will be banned from entering the USA for life.
Me - No wahala , they are all real.
VO- Are you sure? make sure you travel before classes starts or else you will be turned back at the port of entry.
Me - ok ma’am. Thank you . Please can I pick up a tissue
VO - sure please do, take as much as u need .
Me- picked up the tissue and left
I might have forgotten some questions asked sha but this is all I can remember. I have found this thread really helpful. The main thing is be well prepared, be organized and learn from people. Thank you so much once again
Sorelee
Ubah1
Kekenation
Ekebs I really hope they issue yours too soon.

At times in life you need more than smartness to succeed, you need GRIT too...Congrats my gee!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Enasdan(m): 8:30am On Jul 26, 2018
Ubah1:

I don't think that will create any suspicion. Salary change is nothing, as you are not the one sponsoring yourself. Am only concerned about the marriage part. So far, we have more people that got visa with single than married. So marriage doesn't serve as ties much again in USA embassy but it used to be. Things changes though. Just be sincere and pray for favour
do appreciate your response.

[b][/b]Nahum777

what of the sudden change in travel history to two west African countries in last 3 months against the plain virgin passport the applicant presented before at the Abuja embassy

secondly the school in US that gave the first admission has promised and had deffer the admission after the visa refusal, and had offer fresh admission the applicant is using the same school but new admission letter and new I-20 form. my question is what is the applicant chances of be granted visa?

@ Nahum777 & Ubah1, thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ghs007(m): 8:33am On Jul 26, 2018
jolowizzy11:
I was denied a visa last week Wednesday,i guess it's because of the school I picked.....my question is that should I refire ? or should I apply to 2 good schools ? if yes , please kindly recommend 2 good schools for me for undergraduate studies..... lastly can I get a scholarship without any exams ?
If you feel your life school choice influenced your previous denial, I suggest you start application all over to other schools but no one can suggest schools for you because we all have different interests. What I adore in a school might not be what you think is important.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 26, 2018
femi312:
Ok thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 26, 2018
lockupman:

How long you live in the US doesn't determine whether you'll become eligible for a green card. There are eligibility requirements you must meet before you can ADJUST YOUR STATUS to become a Legal Permanent Resident (Green Card) holder:
https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/eligibility-categories

Thanks much

(1) (2) (3) ... (458) (459) (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.