Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,944 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:04 AM

Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles (23278 Views)

Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by babajeje123(m): 2:21pm On Dec 19, 2017
tit:
We will kill anybody who oppose hijab
Yeah, we know that already. You must always shed blood for your blood-thirty powerless allah, who is always waiting for you to defend his nonentity. Less I forget, after you are done killing all your oppositions, you should not die o. Rot here o you useless daughter of a paedophile

2 Likes

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by ReinaFarine: 2:21pm On Dec 19, 2017
God Bless Nigeria.

How can that whole body not have even one person with enough sense and time to go through the Nigerian Law school bye laws, the Nigerian Constitution, the rules and regulations book of the school, all the oath she signed on her matriculation day?

And they think they can use the perceived victimization clause to draw sympathy? I'm not against any religion, and I think your worship.of God is your own personal decision. But my God taught be to respect and obey the rules of the land. 'Give to Caesar.... '

Western education is not compulsory, and if you're that dedicated in the service of your God and want to do everything to please him, I would have suggested going to an Islamic country to study. Or reading an Islamic Course. But when you're studying in a secular country, you will not expect to bend the laws of that country to accommodate your religion.

And if you were directed of your God to study Law in Nigeria, then you should have stated praying for a change in the country's constitution from the first day you got your vision.

I see her action and the reaction of this body as a publicity stunt and a movement to stoke the flames of violence in Nigeria. I believe as a law student she understands what a contract is and she signed one.

Common law is western and not religious... Thinking that the stipulated dress code favours one religion over another is barbaric and extremely ignorant. My bible tells me not to swear by anything. But if I want to become a lawyer, the number of oath I have to take have already contradicted Christ's standard.

Nigerian Law school is not based on religion.

Instead of protest, pray and if God wills, he'll change the law of man to suit his purpose for Firdaos's life.

6 Likes

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by drshamo(m): 2:22pm On Dec 19, 2017
NeeKlaus:

What do you mean she was treated badly? How is she different from other Muslim girls that have passed through Law school without these unnecessary hassles?

The primary aim of the dress code is for uniformity. If different religions are allowed to adorn their different regalia, imagine how that Hall would be. Will it be a pleasurable sight at all?

You people should leave sentiments apart and focus on the realistic part of things.

Other Muslim ladies are nt d standard definition of Islam... for the fact that they did nt put on hijab which was wrong doesn't mean she should follow them do d same because everyone will surely account for his/her action on d judgement day... And again, U ppl should remove the mindset that if one or more Muslim do wrong thing that does nt mean Islam permit that wrong doing... All those that refuse to cover their head for the occasion we're all wrong according to Islam including Bubari's daughter
Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by Vivere: 2:23pm On Dec 19, 2017
toye440:

d hijab was adopted by Muslims, its a material culture to d Persians dey used d hijab due to their sandy weather.

Thank you, o jare. It is clear that it is not part of the Quran, as the word "hijab" cannot be found inside it.

1 Like

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by skedman(m): 2:25pm On Dec 19, 2017
This is what CAN is meant to be doing by standing and supporting the christains on concrete issues like this not politics
Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by drshamo(m): 2:27pm On Dec 19, 2017
Donsammi:

hijab is an Arab and ancient world dress.

wore by women then

besides she knew the code and conducts of the profession she wants to join?
then why didn't she drop out?

besides if she' thinks she's perfect
the sharia court is there for here to join.
and I think women ain't allowed to be in the sharia court.

Why is everyone nt talking abt the Nigeria human right which consist of Right to Religion... And I believe I believe this Law supersede the law of Law school....
Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by Thylord(m): 2:28pm On Dec 19, 2017
Dollyak:
You don't have to be a Muslim to see that this is a legitimate protest. Defending an adoption of western culture i.e Lawyers wig, rope and dressings, while criticizing an Islamic dress is a master piece of hypocrisy.
will you keep quiet there.

1 Like

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by pstnicodemus(m): 2:28pm On Dec 19, 2017
NeeKlaus:

Aunty, see eh, there is this agreement all Law school students sign before the commencement of the programme, promising to abide by the Law School's rules and regulations (including the dress code)

Now, for the same person to go against that agreement that she wilfully signed is quite stupid. This lady only wants to trend and if this issue gets to court, she doesn't have a case at all. Not one bit.

It's as simple as that.
God bless you indefinitely

2 Likes

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by resurgentxtian4: 2:28pm On Dec 19, 2017
dabeto:
I have just ran a check at Afghan embassy to confirm how many of this so called Nigerian Muslim send their children to Afghanistan to school and learn a perfect Islamic lifestyle and discovered none. Rather they travel in droves to western countries where life is good and there's freedom to live and attempt to upturn the very good life by creating chaos.
I will never blame any Muslim for his violent nature because it's not his making. If God has chosen to bless one nation above all and then make a pronouncement that another will be a wild ass and today we see all these, isn't it enough to place the issue at the right quarters.
I worry less about world events and situations because every second we live and the world moves, it's according to God's plan and project. Hijab issue is not peculair to Nigeria, the entire western world is facing same problem.
Muslim will continue to make demands rightly or wrongly as they continue to grow in population. As they make gains in their demands through violence and chaos and establish an Islamic jurisprudence (Sharia) society all over the world, an Afghanistan like society which many liberal Muslim fear will emerge.
There's no stopping Islam. When next they make their untoward demand, ask God why He chose to make Ishmael a wild ass. Only God can grant peace to the world, not religion or political system. cool

Israel and America alone can and will destroy Islamic terrorism. You think you can scare the rest of us into submission? I dont blame your likes but the useless, covetious and money grabbing god of men we have in Nigeria. They are the ones keeping quiet in the face of provocation from muslims. Islamic terrorism can and will be tamed eventually so Your submission is non sequitor!

1 Like

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by toye440: 2:28pm On Dec 19, 2017
resurgentxtian4:

You better get ready to resist them offline istead of online platitudes. The muslims are not playing with we christians in this country. They want to islamise the country. Our men of God can continue using our tithes for airplanes and fast cars while the muslims perfect their plans. The joke is ultimately on Nigerian Christians. The rich are already looking at us from abroad to see what will become of Nigeria.
This is y i dont want to b a pastor despite d fact dat i know i hv d calling. If am a pastor i wont watch dem massacre my fellow brothers i may be tempted to encourage ppl to buy guns for protection, look at d woman they behead at Abuja and numerous killings in kano, Christians r bin slaughtered like chickens and no one is getting arrested for it, even those who beheaded madame Bridget now walk freely, the RCCG lady evangelist no justice was served, and i will not just liv it to God wen i know we can do something . I asked if we hv licensed guns would they come to burn down ur homes. Noooooo

2 Likes

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by resurgentxtian4: 2:29pm On Dec 19, 2017
skedman:
This is what CAN is meant to be doing by standing and supporting the christains on concrete issues like this not politics

I am surprised that CAN has kept quiet so far......Is this how the country will continue till it is islamised? Are we gonna let them continue or we fight for our freedom? The ball is in our court.
Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by NeeKlaus: 2:29pm On Dec 19, 2017
drshamo:

Other Muslim ladies are nt d standard definition of Islam... for the fact that they did nt put on hijab which was wrong doesn't mean she should follow them do d same because everyone will surely account for his/her action on d judgement day... And again, U ppl should remove the mindset that if one or more Muslim do wrong thing that does nt mean Islam permit that wrong doing... All those that refuse to cover their head for the occasion we're all wrong according to Islam including Bubari's daughter
Then they shouldn't have applied for the Law school if they know that some of its demands are against their faith. If you don't like something, won't you avoid it? How can you see a temptation and you still swing in headlong? If your religion doesn't frown at that, mine does.

2 Likes

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by resurgentxtian4: 2:31pm On Dec 19, 2017
toye440:

This is y i dont want to b a pastor despite d fact dat i know u hv d calling. If am a pastor i wont watch dem massacre my fellow brothers i may encourage ppl to buy guns for protection, look at d woman they behead at Abuja and numerous killings in kano. I asked if we hv licensed guns would they come to burn down ur homes. Noooooo

We really need to speak up and ask our men of God to put up a position on the way things are going in Nigeria. It is either we are a secular country or we go our separate ways. It is a simple matter. Islamic violence must not scare us. A coward dies many times before his death.

4 Likes

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by maasoap(m): 2:34pm On Dec 19, 2017
Xisnin:

Like what?
Stop lying, only muslims are found of forcing their ways on others.
Hijabs don't trample on your rights. Stop persecuting Muslim girls!
Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by InHim4Him(m): 2:34pm On Dec 19, 2017
Dollyak:
You don't have to be a Muslim to see that this is a legitimate protest. Defending an adoption of western culture i.e Lawyers wig, rope and dressings, while criticizing an Islamic dress is a master piece of hypocrisy.

Why don't you go to the hospital and ask the doctor to use the instruments of the mallams instead of the stethoscope which is of a western culture?

6 Likes

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:36pm On Dec 19, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
If The Hijab is just a piece of cloth and nothing more

yes I believe you

The hijab is just a piece of clothing

so why prevent a woman from putting on the piece of clothing, if it's just a piece of clothing?

It's important for us all to understand that, irrespective of religion, tribe or race we re not programmed to see things from same light.

Our failure to understand this and appreciate one anothers diversity is cause of many problems in the world today. it is the grand failure of man not withstanding the unprecedented stride of education.
The failure to appreciate diversity led to both the 1st and 2nd world wars.
it led to the Korean wars which still lingers today...

it led to the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan..

Led to the death of Gaddafi and the fall Libya from Grace to grass..

it's still leading to many wars today

We re not created to all reason alike, so stop hating those who don't think like you...

1 Like

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by CaptainPlanet(m): 2:39pm On Dec 19, 2017
kallmemrB:
hahahahaha....Islam at it again....always fighting on the wrong Side.....Buhari's daughter went to law school there was no prob ...now one useless witch is causing wahala
hahahahaha....Useless witch indeed....like say na she be d first Muslim to go to law school....*Holy Holy*

1 Like

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by resurgentxtian4: 2:41pm On Dec 19, 2017
NOETHNICITY:
yes I believe you

The hijab is just a piece of clothing

so why prevent a woman from putting on the piece of clothing, if it's just a piece of clothing?

It's important for us all to understand that, irrespective of religion, tribe or race we re not programmed to see things from same light.

Our failure to understand this and appreciate one anothers diversity is cause of many problems in the world today. it is the grand failure of man not withstanding the unprecedented stride of education.
The failure to appreciate diversity led to both the 1st and 2nd world wars.
it led to the Korean wars which still lingers today...

it led to the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan..

Led to the death of Gaddafi and the fall Libya from Grace to grass..

it's still leading to many wars today

We re not created to all reason alike, so stop hating those who don't think like you...

I understand all what you have said but is it wrong to seek a discussion on the basis of our unity as a country?

1 Like

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by bopm: 2:43pm On Dec 19, 2017
seguntijan:
When the issue of protecting the rights of women in hijab is raised, some people will come up with unrelated ideas. You will hear, "Let's have Cele people too wear their sutana and keep bare foot everywhere. Let the Egungun dress in their regalia. Those of the Ezemo ilk should adorn their costume..."
No one is holding them now. It's a free world.
We are all living witnesses to an attempt to play that out in Osun State the other day. Those of other religions went on to instruct their wards to dress in chorister's uniform, sango wears, among other ceremonial wears in protest to the hijab uniform to Muslim school girls. We could all see how theirs wasn't sustainable. Their dressing styles are purely ceremonial.
Unlike the hijab, these dressings cited are only ceremonial wears. The hijab isn't a ceremonial wear. It's every time you see that woman in hijab but you want her to remove it to disregard God's commandments. She doesn't wear it occasionally. She believes it's part of her religion. The Nigerian law respects her right to practice her religion. Her right to wear the hijab does, in no way, harm the rights of non-hijab wearers. So, what's your problem?

oga say what you knw and don't spill thrash, its on record DAT that woeful failure of a governor not only intimidated the students he threaten to sanction the teachers of that school as well as deny such students dia right to education. Nigerians knew wat played out dia so dnt say wat u know not jus to b seen as relevant wen in the real sense its all same confusion u are all known for. wen all this medemede u guys are cooking all in d name of religion z done, u will b dia alone to face the heat and it all urselves.since u thrived in utter chaos and feed on despotic controversies

2 Likes

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by Highex: 2:43pm On Dec 19, 2017
drshamo:

Bro, do you think Almighty God will use hijab wearing to judge her or her deed in life?

3 Likes

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by Highex: 2:47pm On Dec 19, 2017
drshamo:

Why is everyone nt talking abt the Nigeria human right which consist of Right to Religion... And I believe I believe this Law supersede the law of Law school....

If she signed to obey the rules and regulations of the institution where the dressing code are stated therein, then she played herself.

2 Likes

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by naijaboiy: 2:56pm On Dec 19, 2017
drshamo:

National law supersede any organization law meaning the law of the country is bigger than the law of any school of law... Everybody have the right to practice his/her religion... And again Abuja sch of law allow the use of mini hijab when call to bar... u can check their rules and get back to me on it.

[b]With all due respect sir, you and a whole lot of others are missing the point.

Yes, she has a fundamental human right to practice her religion under S38 of the federal constitution and since hijab is enshrined as part of her religion she is entitled to wear it at all times.

However, The Council of Legal Education provides a Code of Conduct for dressing during the Call to Bar ceremony. It has been the case that during the ceremony, lawyers are not allowed to cover their ears with any cloth save the wig. This dress code prohibits any form of such covering, not to mention the obligation to remain in black jackets, skirts and pants. By extension therefore, persons who answer to religious groups that emphasize the need for such coverings as an act of piety or modesty, must either elect to be bound by the rules or opt out of the procedure.

Now, on the point of the rule either being harsh and unaccommodating, it can even be challenged in the high court on the likelihood of it violating a fundamental human right, but such challenge is not an issue because the rules set by the Council of Legal Education are disinterested rules; not influenced by undue religious considerations and it can be aptly justified under Section 10 of the Constitution which describes Nigeria as state fashioned to be secular.

The secularity in this case doesn’t mean that Nigeria respects all religions but in fact means that no religion is considered or respected above what is reasonably justifiable to be appropriate in an environment meant for all and Sundry.

Going by that, the secularity in the country is the reason why a Federal University can admit anyone from all walks of life regardless of their religious or ethnic backgrounds.

Also, Section 4(1) of the Legal Practitioners Act empowers the Body of Benchers to determine what amounts to good character which is essential to the admittance into the Bar. The Code of Conduct is reasonably justifiable in a democratic society and in the interest of public policy, the uniformity must be maintained. As it is a body of regulations privy to all students, if one is incapable of complying with the rules and regulations stipulated in law school or any of its ceremonies therein, one may elect to opt out of the program.

It’s a pity many people don’t know the core of what they’re fighting for. They just want to join the bandwagon without enlighten themselves first.
[/b]

6 Likes

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by Vivere: 2:58pm On Dec 19, 2017
naijaboiy:
[b]With all due respect sir, you and a whole lot of others are missing the point.

Yes, she has a fundamental human right to practice her religion under S38 of the federal constitution and since hijab is enshrined as part of her religion she is entitled to wear it at all times.

However, The Council of Legal Education provides a Code of Conduct for dressing during the Call to Bar ceremony. It has been the case that during the ceremony, lawyers are not allowed to cover their ears with any cloth save the wig. This dress code prohibits any form of such covering, not to mention the obligation to remain in black jackets, skirts and pants. By extension therefore, persons who answer to religious groups that emphasize the need for such coverings as an act of piety or modesty, must either elect to be bound by the rules or opt out of the procedure.

Now, on the point of the rule either being harsh and unaccommodating, it can even be challenged in the high court on the likelihood of it violating a fundamental human right, but such challenge is not an issue because the rules set by the Council of Legal Education are disinterested rules; not influenced by undue religious considerations and it can be aptly justified under Section 10 of the Constitution which describes Nigeria as state fashioned to be secular.

The secularity in this case doesn’t mean that Nigeria respects all religions but in fact means that no religion is considered or respected above what is reasonably justifiable to be appropriate in an environment meant for all and Sundry.

Going by that, the secularity in the country is the reason why a Federal University can admit anyone from all walks of life regardless of their religious or ethnic backgrounds.

Also, Section 4(1) of the Legal Practitioners Act empowers the Body of Benchers to determine what amounts to good character which is essential to the admittance into the Bar. The Code of Conduct is reasonably justifiable in a democratic society and in the interest of public policy, the uniformity must be maintained. As it is a body of regulations privy to all students, if one is incapable of complying with the rules and regulations stipulated in law school or any of its ceremonies therein, one may elect to opt out of the program.

It’s that simple.
[/b]

Wa' gbayi!! Well said... cool

1 Like

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by Sogold: 2:59pm On Dec 19, 2017
I urge FG to copy Putin of Russia and do the needful on religion in Nigeria before things go haywire......I rise
Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by resurgentxtian4: 3:00pm On Dec 19, 2017
Who even cares if the said lady wears a hijab? A lot of ladies wear it in court. The only issue is how the muslims have taken the whole issue as if it is we christians that denied her call to bar. She will eventually be called and Nigeria will continue sinking into the abyss. The muslims will continue fighting the SS/SE who are christians for their oil.

Instead of muslims to go form their Islamic nation, they want to force 100 million christians into islam by changing our laws. I would have thought it be easier for the muslims to just carve out their islamic republic in the North with its large Land mass rather than disrupt our daily lives. We shall see where they lead the country with all their provocations.

4 Likes

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by thekenzi: 3:00pm On Dec 19, 2017
Tozara:
You seem to be an illiterate when it comes to logic and rationality, so let me educate you.

First thing to note: Western Culture is NOT A RELIGION, but Islam is.

Now, let's get down to business; the rule that prohibits her from wearing her hijab to bar isn't aimed at "criticizing Islamic dressing", but the purpose it was designed for automatically makes Sango, Amadioha, Obatala, Oya, Osun, Catholic, Methodist, Islamic, pentecostal dressing, and every other dressing whether it be religious, cultural, traditional, customary, FORBIDDEN DURING CALL TO BAR.

I do not care whether this rule makes sense or not, whether it is legitimate or not (someone already made it clear to me that it might be too rigid, stupid, and mediaval, and in need of modification), 'cause that's a debate for another day. But what irritates me is that these people are making it ABOUT ISLAM. They're playing VICTIMS OF THE SYSTEM. They're asserting that the rule applies ONLY TO THE HIJAB, and they want AN EXCEPTION FOR THE HIJAB ALONE.

They're all mentally ill. They're irrational goats.

Western Culture to them is directly associated with Christianity. And that is what they don't like!

2 Likes

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by slimtoney(m): 3:03pm On Dec 19, 2017
Say all the trash as usual about Islam and Muslims, it holds no water. When Muslims has reason to go against any form of injustice we go all out for it without fear or favour. Muslims will not be seen defending a cause for monetary or worldly gains but we will stand against intolerance and mischief irrespective of who is involved. We hold our religion in high esteem. We will not be made to look like a people ruled by desires and quest for bodily satisfaction.
Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by resurgentxtian4: 3:08pm On Dec 19, 2017
slimtoney:
Say all the trash as usual about Islam and Muslims, it holds no water. When Muslims has reason to go against any form of injustice we go all out for it without fear or favour. Muslims will not be seen defending a cause for monetary or worldly gains but we will stand against intolerance and mischief irrespective of who is involved. We hold our religion in high esteem. We will not be made to look like a people ruled by desires and quest for bodily satisfaction.

We have heard. Do you want a nation with christians in it or do you want an islamic nation. That is the question!

We have gone beyond wondering whether muslims are rabble rousers, the whole world know the kind of people muslims are.

In this regard, do you want an Islamic Nigeria and when can we start the process of disintegration? I dont think Christians in Nigeria can cope with the islamisation drive any further. angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by babajeje123(m): 3:09pm On Dec 19, 2017
There is no peace anywhere they are. Countries without them are doing pretty well and are progressing. I don't blame them but Abraham who made that mistake of sleeping with a bond woman.

1 Like

Re: Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles by Tozara(m): 3:13pm On Dec 19, 2017
thekenzi:

Western Culture to them is directly associated with Christianity. And that is what they don't like!
Lol. Cavemen who have no lanterns to show them their shadows. Forever imprisoned in the ENDARKENED hole of stupidity.

When you're close-minded, you can never see the hand reason itself is stretching out to you. You're too busy smelling the thorns to see the roses.

Enemies of Reason.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Company Punishes Protesting Staff With Late Payment (Memo) / Ask Me Any Question About Career In Dubai / Popular Lagos Traffic Warden Jumps On The Bonnet Of An Offender, Today, In Yaba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.