Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit (37697 Views)

Can Someone Withdraw Money From Fixed Deposit Before Maturity? / CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits / CBN To Sell N252bn Treasury Bills Next Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by smartleo(m): 3:33pm On Jan 07, 2018
nnadychuks:
Nigerians lazy o. How will someone put money in the bank for a whole month and expect 30%?! Whereas with mental and physical work, he could get 250% with the same money under a month.
Risk is not for everybody ,some fellas want security .The both of the people makes our society go round .stop blame game

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by sophiathefirst: 3:46pm On Jan 07, 2018
emynem05:
Don't even know how some people take pass for school.
Someone will take time to explain another will come and confuse everybody again
12% is fixed
The duration can be 3,6, 12 months
For 3months it is 12%x 1m x 1
For 6months it's 12% x1m x 2 (2 because it's 2 quarters I.e 3 and 3=6)
For 12months it's 12% x1m x 4 (4 quarters makes 12 months)
If you no understand this one then u need to go back to nursery school
Oga u re even confusing urself n others more.
For 3months i.e 90days, it should be (12% x 1m )/4 =30k
For 6months i.e 180days, is (12% x 1m)/2 = 60k
For 12months i.e 365days is (12% x 1m ) = 120k

of course 4 represents.4quarters in a year.n 2 is semi annually
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by PNomsule: 3:53pm On Jan 07, 2018
aspirebig:
Can someone throw more light on Mutual fund and these two?

A lot of people are saying that the interest rate is low but in business, the lower the risk the lower the returns and vice versa.

All of you saying ..go for bitcoin..who is regulating the bitcoin market? What happens if the money in bitcoin disappears?

I want an investment with a guaranteed capital and returns and not one high returns investment that investment will disappear with...just like all these #ponzi. .
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by PNomsule: 4:18pm On Jan 07, 2018
aspirebig:
Can someone throw more light on Mutual fund and these two?

A lot of people are saying that the interest rate is low but in business, the lower the risk the lower the returns and vice versa.

All of you saying ..go for bitcoin..who is regulating the bitcoin market? What happens if the money in bitcoin disappears?

I want an investment with a guaranteed capital and returns and not one high returns investment that investment will disappear with...just like all these #ponzi. .

Hello mate, seeking and sampling opinions is indeed an adviceable way to not get lost. So many informed opinion on the thread already, mine is rather practical and worth more. I work with a duly registered and licenced Cooperative based in Abuja and offer 5% dividend monthly on any sum fixed with us. In three months, 15%, 6months 30%...
0809 905 2680 for further talks bro.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by PNomsule: 4:26pm On Jan 07, 2018
HSfoundation:

So you kuku want him to get lost inside your phone number? And your cooperative no get name..... A won aburo #Scam

Not sure what you are up to really, would have thought this is a new year and peeps would be better behaved, have you sought for any info at all that i refuse you or you just elect to be noticed, oh yea, i don notice you...bye!
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by hiscules: 4:28pm On Jan 07, 2018
FrenchWay:
I rather use my money to buy 200 bags of beans from Niger.
Resell in August with almost 100% interest
share with us nau, how u dey do am??
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by hiscules: 4:30pm On Jan 07, 2018
PNomsule:

Hello mate, seeking and sampling opinions is indeed an adviceable way to not get lost. So many informed opinion on the thread already, mine is rather practical and worth more. I work with a duly registered and licenced Cooperative based in Abuja and offer 5% dividend monthly on any sum fixed with us. In three months, 15%, 6months 30%...
what is the company's website and address. This is very necessary to validate your claims
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by PNomsule: 4:34pm On Jan 07, 2018
deenee:
Both are interest bearing financial assets. However note this

TB is government backed while FD is not

TB is tax exempt while FD is not

TB is issued at a discounted rate and redeemed at par while FD can be issued with interest paid back end or upfront.

Both can be liquidated prematurely however at a cost.

The minimum tenor for TB is 91 days and max of 365 while FD is usually monthly (30days) up to 365 days. Also there are some FD on call

As per interest rates, up until now TB had higher rates than FD however rate is not the best criteria to distinguish between both as this is more of operational meaning rates can oscillate both ways for the two financial instruments.

For those looking to build long term wealth. I advise you have a portfolio with varying asset classes to hedge for risk. Ie cash, FD/TD equity and other classes of assets they deem fit.

Funny thing is people always avoid the equity market like it's a plague but know this in any economy there will always be a boom and bust. Oil prices will always go up and down same for dollar. This is what capitalism is all about.

When the naira really down against the dollar I told people that this was the right time to buy naira assets but they refused and some converted their assets to dollars. Some even put money in al sorts of ponzi schemes and got their fingers burnt.

Now for those that study the market well. Compare the prices of the following stocks in Jan 2017 and now Fidelity, Dangote sugar dangote cement stanbic Zenith fbn uba access dangote flour and ROI that a 1m investment will have made in 12months both in capital appreciation and dividend payments

The bitter truth is only long term investors make money ask Warren buffet and study his investment philosophy. On the other hand Nigerian are always looking for the quick way out.

Learnt a couple of things from your piece bro!
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by PNomsule: 4:39pm On Jan 07, 2018
hiscules:
what is the company's website and address. This is very necessary to validate your claims

Thats why my number is up there bro...i am only a phone call away, but in anycase its www.skyewisempcsl.com
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by casualobserver1: 4:41pm On Jan 07, 2018
ladyF:
I can't even use my money to do any of the above. angry I'd rather use it to buy bitcoin when it dips. Bitcoin is bae!

It's LadyF again. grin grin grin

Disclaimer: Please this wasn't investment advise. I'm only a merchant. www.ladyfexchange.com

Now is a good time to buy BTC. The current rate of USD 14k per BTC is due to traders selling topay income taxes in the USA.

After April 15th we will see prices start to rise as traders wrap up tax paperwork.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by northvietnam(m): 4:50pm On Jan 07, 2018
kingpole:
Your narrated experience of having a bad driver is almost the norm in the Transportation business, with your new arrangements you should be in profit within 2 years. Congrats

Thanks bro
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by aspirebig: 5:34pm On Jan 07, 2018
PNomsule:

If you are expecting my call...you go wait tire, you can as well keep your opinion.Whatever you cannot share here, forget it .

If you have any idea, drop it here for the benefit of the public. I don't do personal call.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by Magnifico2000: 5:36pm On Jan 07, 2018
henryomez:
Tbills is fix deposit with cbn while the other is with your Bank. Another diff is that tbills Starts from 1m and above while fd is 100k. Tbills has to be either 3months 6months and 1yr while fd is from 1month. Tbills rate is same irrespective of the amount its the tenor that determines the rate while fd ia amount that determines the rate. Fd pays your interest at maturity while tbills pays upfront these are the major diff

Well.. you are correct yo some extent. These are the diferences
1. Treasury bill (tb) is an investment in govt loans. It is as if you are lending government money. While fixed deposit (fd) is an investment whereby you are lending the bank(commercial bank) money.

2. The interest of treasury bills is always paid upfront although the investor may mandate that the interest be paid at maturity. While the interest of fixed deposit is paid at intervals depending on the instruction of the fixed depositor.

3. The rates of treasury bill are not known until the date of bidding except if bought in the secondary market while the rates of fixed deposit are fixed and it is known at the date of fixing the money.

4. Treasury bills uaually have 91,181 and 364 days tenors although the tenors are different in the secondary markt while fixed deposit is for any period of time starting from 30days.

5. Treasury bills are highly secured i.e safe to invest while fixed deposits are risky un the sense that the commercial bank may liquidate at any time.

6. Treasury bills certificate can be used to secure loans while fixed deposit certificate cant be used as collateral.

7. Treasury bills is dificult to liquidate while fixed deposit can be liquidated at any time.

8. You can invest as low as 100k in treasury bill although 50million is the minimum amount in primary market. While you can fix any amount in fixed deposit.

9. There are two kinds of market intrasury bill i.e primary and secondary market while there is no market in fixed deposit.

10. I would advice to go for treasury bill depending on how soon you will be needing ur cash.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by ngwababe(f): 5:47pm On Jan 07, 2018
Sage7:
TB- interest is received at the point of debit. FD- interest is received when it is terminated.

TB- tenure must be complete before termination. FD- you can terminate anytime.

TB- interest is slightly higher vice-versa

What's the minimum amount for each please??
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by aspirebig: 6:08pm On Jan 07, 2018
PNomsule:

Thats why my number is up there bro...i am only a phone call away, but in anycase its www.skyewisempcsl.com

So you mean that if I invest 1m, I will be getting N50k monthly? In a year, I have gotten 60% returns.I have never heard of the company.
What is their track record?How are they making the money? People need to be careful. I am not comfortable with it.
Getting 5% ROI monthly on invest seen too good to believe. I am out.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by PNomsule: 6:48pm On Jan 07, 2018
aspirebig:

So you mean that if I invest 1m, I will be getting N50k monthly? In a year, I have gotten 60% returns.I have never heard of the company.
What is their track record?How are they making the money? People need to be careful. I am not comfortable with it.
Getting 5% ROI monthly on invest seen too good to believe. I am out.

How many investments hubs have you heard of bro? You may as well not call, it only shows how interested and serious you are...i have just chatted with 4 people already on my cell from here. Remain skeptical all you want but is it working, how else would you know...the website i have made available and my digits are there.
Thank you for being my prejudicial Thomas.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by amicable09(f): 7:32pm On Jan 07, 2018
crowntoro:
lol He doesn't know now..lol Wish I could calculate it for him to show him how it's done
Yes, you can.
Show him using the principal amount, interest rate and time. My primary 3 knowledge of Simple interest being,
P*R*T/100
Didn't come into play until I practicalized it myself. I understand how he got that amount though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by Sage7(m): 9:26pm On Jan 07, 2018
ngwababe:

What's the minimum amount for each please??

100k for FD
500K for TB Sir.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by bayocanny: 9:58pm On Jan 07, 2018
FrenchWay:

Niger state.
Currently its about 20-25k. But I don't know if there are states that have them invheaper quantity.

In august or so, a bag would sell for like 50 and above
Bro, let's do the business na, if you know where to get the beans at that price in Niger then let's go there am really interested my mom deals with foodstuff items
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by ngwababe(f): 10:36pm On Jan 07, 2018
Sage7:

100k for FD
500K for TB Sir.

Thanks bro
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by sheycrown(f): 11:10pm On Jan 07, 2018
FrenchWay:
I rather use my money to buy 200 bags of beans from Niger.
Resell in August with almost 100% interest

Hi, I sent you a DM. Please check
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by Sage7(m): 11:26pm On Jan 07, 2018
ngwababe:

Thanks bro

Anytime sis.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by Nobody: 12:30am On Jan 08, 2018
ladyF:
I can't even use my money to do any of the above. >sad I'd rather use it to buy bitcoin when it dips. Bitcoin is bae!

It's LadyF again. grin grin grin

Disclaimer: Please this wasn't investment advise. I'm only a merchant. www.ladyfexchange.com
pls tell me small abt tho bitcoin is like am interested
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by travelpoint: 12:30am On Jan 08, 2018
PNomsule:

Hello mate, i imagine you both are still sampling opinions which is an adviceable way to not get lost. So many informed opinion on the thread already, mine is rather practical and worth more. I work with a duly registered and licenced Cooperative based in Abuja and offer 5% dividend monthly on any sum fixed with us. In three months, 15%, 6months 30%...
Another MMM in making. You guys should becarefull in dealing with one man finance company
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by deenee: 12:31am On Jan 08, 2018
HSfoundation:

Investing in the Nigerian stock market is a huge joke, where are the Intercontinental bank, Zenith and First bank shares of 10-15 years ago, many have crashed to below 5-10% of their market values at the IPO.....

Abeg if you have other advices but stocks....especially for some one who is not an insider to its running. Hmmmmm

Good point. Every investment has its risk. Like I mentioned in my post there is no investment that is fool proof unless you are risk averse then I will advise you stick to Tbills

Of course you will do your fundamental analysis before buying stock and the funny thing is a lot of people just buy stock with sentiments

Back to your question and I want to presume that you know a little bit about investment analysis....if yes do a 10year ROI trend analysis for Zenith shares (dividend bonus and capital appreciation) and post on the domain.

Am waiting for your feedback and thanks
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by deenee: 12:34am On Jan 08, 2018
PNomsule:

How many investments hubs have you heard of bro? You may as well not call, it only shows how interested and serious you are...i have just chatted with 4 people already on my cell from here. Remain skeptical all you want but is it working, how else would you know...the website i have made available and my digits are there.
Thank you for being my prejudicial Thomas.

High returns high risk...few questions...what do you guys use the money for?

Where are your offices?

What kind of investment gives 60% ROI by year end?

Provide answers please
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by deenee: 12:38am On Jan 08, 2018
casualobserver1:

Now is a good time to buy BTC. The current rate of USD 14k per BTC is due to traders selling topay income taxes in the USA.

After April 15th we will see prices start to rise as traders wrap up tax paperwork.

Not entirely true....will btc rise again answer is yes because people now see it as a platform for storing illicit wealth and for money laundering. Also there is BTC futures now meaning people can agree BTC price today for a future transaction. Also other alternative crypto currency exchanges are springing up here and there.

My advise don't put money you can't afford to lose in BTC.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by ibinaboonline: 1:06am On Jan 08, 2018
ladyF:

Okay, you are very correct. All the best in your TB. grin
That's assuming you're not been sarcastic with the TB bit, you know. tuberculosis and all
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by ladyF(f): 1:19am On Jan 08, 2018
ibinaboonline:
That's assuming you're not been sarcastic with the TB bit, you know. tuberculosis and all

Lol... I didn't even think of that. cheesy
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by crowntoro(f): 7:12am On Jan 08, 2018
WisdomEfe:

For each of the Tbills they quote the tenor in days (eg 90 days) and the discount rate per annum (e.g 14% per annum).
So lets say you want to invest in Tbills for 90 days at 14% per year so that you will have N500,000.00 (facevalue) at the end of 90 days. The amount you will pay today (the discounted value) is N482,739.73.

500,000.00 - (500,000.00 × 14% × (90/365)) = 482,739.73

The interest (the discount amount) is the difference between the N500,000.00 you will get in 90 days and the N482,739.73 you paid for it today which is N17,260.27.

500,000.00 - 482,739.73 = 17,260.27

I hope this helps.
Thank you
It helped
Gotta make a screenshot of it cheesy cheesy grin
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by davide470(m): 8:35am On Jan 08, 2018
crowntoro:
lol
He doesn't know now..lol
Wish I could calculate it for him to show him how it's done
12% per annum of 1M for a 90day tenor..

90days = 3 months.
12% per annum = 1% interest for each month.

..so basically he gets 1% per month, therefore, for a 3 months tenor, he will get only 3% for his 1million which is equal to N30,000 (Gross).

Another simplified version. Lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by Ryabcool(m): 9:02am On Jan 08, 2018
Hotshawarma:
treasury bills is not the only investment that can provide guaranteed pocket money...
Just like i thought. I waited for hours to see what you would spring up. And it's obvious You were just making spurious claims that probably wouldn't stand scrutiny. Treasury bills remain the safest investment anybody can make.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Commissioning Of Dangote Refinery - (Live Video, Pictures) / Nigerian Entrepreneurs Worth Admiring / Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.