Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit (37698 Views)

Can Someone Withdraw Money From Fixed Deposit Before Maturity? / CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits / CBN To Sell N252bn Treasury Bills Next Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by henryomez(m): 12:00pm On Jan 07, 2018
MrRhymes101:
The poster above me is wise... funny MC
Thanks
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by DonX001: 12:01pm On Jan 07, 2018
FrenchWay:

Very easy... You empty the wholebags and put what we call bomb. Reseal it and repeat like after some tym. Months.
Its good investment.

FrenchWay:

Such risk is very small and minimal.
U can sacrifice a room.
For the peat, its very easy to ta kle. There are chemicals to buy and mix the beans with. after which u reseal. The chemicals are potent for some months after which the beans can be. Consumed

Is this chemicals called Bomb not poisonous to human beings?

Is that not the cause of that "Killer beans" scare that killed some people some years back?
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by bigW(m): 12:05pm On Jan 07, 2018
FrenchWay:
I rather use my money to buy 200 bags of beans from Niger.
Resell in August with almost 100% interest

Bro, could you share more light on this?

I would like to learn
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by Laoolu: 12:06pm On Jan 07, 2018
Tbills interests and maturity date fluctuates, also it depends on the bank that offers it....for most commercial banks the values change every 2 weeks....interests usually fluctuates between 10% - 13% for 45 days upward and 16% for 200 days upward...the minimum amount you could invest is 100k...

Also you can get your interest upfront which makes it better than Fixed deposit...

Meanwhile don't get excited because of the interests..
It has to be porated, so the higher the amount invested, the higher your returns.
I would advice you seek counsel from your bank account officer before venturing into it.

Fixed deposit on the other hand could be monthly, quarterly or yearly..interest is usually around 5% - 6%, depends on the bank tho.

Both investment is good if you have an idle money laying around, if not...business is the most effective way in making huge interest.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by ladyF(f): 12:12pm On Jan 07, 2018
boiz2men:

Do you stay in Lagos? I like to buy some

Yes sir. Our office is in Ikeja. When should we be expecting you? cheesy

www.ladyfexchange.com
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by ladyF(f): 12:18pm On Jan 07, 2018
money121:

Crypto money I sight u dear cheesy

Lol don't mind me o. I'm just managing the small small profit. grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by ladyF(f): 12:19pm On Jan 07, 2018
ibinaboonline:
You'd be making a gamble or taking risks by investing in cryptocurrencies but TB or FD is a solid investment though, of course, the yield is lower than what is obtainable from stuff like bitcoin

Okay, you are very correct. All the best in your TB. grin
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by WisdomEfe: 12:26pm On Jan 07, 2018
FrenchWay:

Such risk is very small and minimal.
U can sacrifice a room.
For the peat, its very easy to ta kle. There are chemicals to buy and mix the beans with. after which u reseal. The chemicals are potent for some months after which the beans can be. Consumed

Do you live in Niger state?
Is it something you have done are you doing it now?
isn't this chemical dangerous to humans or does it not affect the quality (remember killer beans)?
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by crowntoro(f): 12:49pm On Jan 07, 2018
amicable09:

Lol. The guy will have to print that amount himself as interest cheesy
lol
He doesn't know now..lol
Wish I could calculate it for him to show him how it's done
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by Hotshawarma(m): 1:02pm On Jan 07, 2018
Ryabcool:
it makes sense if you're investing huge. You would not be having this mindset if you're investing a billion. You'd feel safer investing a billion naira in treasury bills than a business you're not completely sure will not make a loss. The wealthy enjoy the benefits of treasury bills than the average joe
well the smart Billonaires focus more on real estate.....
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by Ryabcool(m): 1:05pm On Jan 07, 2018
Hotshawarma:
well the smart Billonaires focus more on real estate.....
and smarter ones will use out of the billions for guaranteed pocketmoney while they invest in the remaining other businesses.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by 1121: 1:10pm On Jan 07, 2018
henryomez:
Tbills is fix deposit with cbn while the other is with your Bank. Another diff is that tbills Starts from 1m and above while fd is 100k. Tbills has to be either 3months 6months and 1yr while fd is from 1month. Tbills rate is same irrespective of the amount its the tenor that determines the rate while fd ia amount that determines the rate. Fd pays your interest at maturity while tbills pays upfront these are the major diff
Tb is not 1mil for all banks. Some banks allow as low as 50k to be invested
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by Hotshawarma(m): 1:12pm On Jan 07, 2018
Ryabcool:
and smarter ones will use out of the billions for guaranteed pocketmoney while they invest in the remaining other businesses.
treasury bills is not the only investment that can provide guaranteed pocket money...
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by henryhemon(m): 1:13pm On Jan 07, 2018
ladyF:
I can't even use my money to do any of the above. angry I'd rather use it to buy bitcoin when it dips. Bitcoin is bae!

It's LadyF again. grin grin grin

Disclaimer: Please this wasn't investment advise. I'm only a merchant. www.ladyfexchange.com

Treasury bills is far much safer.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by ocholawealth(m): 1:20pm On Jan 07, 2018
Beress:

Based on this, it means N1m TB will give u N480k in one year... I think is cool sha
no sir, the calculation is same as that of simple interest - PRT/100.
The 12% is for a whole year which is 365 days. Note in TB number of days counts when it comes to interest.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by WisdomEfe: 1:33pm On Jan 07, 2018
crowntoro:
lol
He doesn't know now..lol
Wish I could calculate it for him to show him how it's done

For each of the Tbills they quote the tenor in days (eg 90 days) and the discount rate per annum (e.g 14% per annum).
So lets say you want to invest in Tbills for 90 days at 14% per year so that you will have N500,000.00 (facevalue) at the end of 90 days. The amount you will pay today (the discounted value) is N482,739.73.

500,000.00 - (500,000.00 × 14% × (90/365)) = 482,739.73

The interest (the discount amount) is the difference between the N500,000.00 you will get in 90 days and the N482,739.73 you paid for it today which is N17,260.27.

500,000.00 - 482,739.73 = 17,260.27

I hope this helps.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by lekanwj(m): 1:36pm On Jan 07, 2018
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by oluwasegun007(m): 1:45pm On Jan 07, 2018
Sage7:
TB- interest is received at the point of debit. FD- interest is received when it is terminated.

TB- tenure must be complete before termination. FD- you can terminate anytime.

TB- interest is slightly higher vice-versa

weh don za
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by Ryabcool(m): 1:55pm On Jan 07, 2018
Hotshawarma:
treasury bills is not the only investment that can provide guaranteed pocket money...
care to share others?
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by bart10: 2:08pm On Jan 07, 2018
broadstreet:
Pls guru in da house, I need actual amount 1million investes in TB will give me after 90days and can someone give me the formula to work TB out. Thanks using 12% interest.

0.12 x N1,000,000 x 90/365 = N29,589 cool
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by FunmyKemmy(f): 2:16pm On Jan 07, 2018
You can read all about Treasury Bill on this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/878880/treasury-bills-nigeria/450
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by boiz2men(m): 2:26pm On Jan 07, 2018
ladyF:

Yes sir. Our office is in Ikeja. When should we be expecting you? cheesy

www.ladyfexchange.com

You don't buy? angry
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by ladyF(f): 2:28pm On Jan 07, 2018
boiz2men:

You don't buy? angry

Lol we do. Na weekend break cause am, normal services resume tomorrow, Monday. grin
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by travelpoint: 2:34pm On Jan 07, 2018
pol23:
TB is no long time ooo...
Mine in Diamond bank is for 90 days.
12%.
FD is sh*t
12% of 1 million naira for 90 days will be around 29k interest. Interest after tax will be around 26k

1000000 x .12 x 90/365 = N29589
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jan 07, 2018
Beress:

Based on this, it means N1m TB will give u N480k in one year... I think is cool sha
120k in 1 year and 30k in 3 months. The rate is 12% per annum and not per month.
If you have a trading capability it's better for you unless you are just investing on low risk opportunity
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by haibe(m): 3:03pm On Jan 07, 2018
Consider mutual funds instead of TB.. forget FD
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by sophiathefirst: 3:05pm On Jan 07, 2018
Mrviktor:

Bro bank would collect all those many charges.. By the time u know u have only 5-6 % as interest..
Insurance doesn't take any charges.. Fixed deposits interest we give up to 10% at aiico insurance.. Very very good if u ask me.. Plus within the 1 year or years depends on how long u want to keep the money. The person has a death cover of 1m plus the money her deposited
Don't u think u should use Life Cover Or Security Cover. It sounds more better.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by BigIyanga: 3:07pm On Jan 07, 2018
Beress:

Not true. TB rates are on annualised basis. If it’s 13%.. it means per anum

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by Timfreds(m): 3:28pm On Jan 07, 2018
henryomez:
Tbills is fix deposit with cbn while the other is with your Bank. Another diff is that tbills Starts from 1m and above while fd is 100k. Tbills has to be either 3months 6months and 1yr while fd is from 1month. Tbills rate is same irrespective of the amount its the tenor that determines the rate while fd ia amount that determines the rate. Fd pays your interest at maturity while tbills pays upfront these are the major diff

Bro thank you.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by PNomsule: 3:30pm On Jan 07, 2018
id2011:
What is the diffrence btw treasury bill buying and fixed money in account, pls becos i have a brother that want to go it. which one it's ok to invest on

Hello mate, i imagine you both are still sampling opinions which is an adviceable way to not get lost. So many informed opinion on the thread already, mine is rather practical and worth more. I work with a duly registered and licenced Cooperative based in Abuja and offer 5% dividend monthly on any sum fixed with us. In three months, 15%, 6months 30%...
0809 905 2680 for further talks bro.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by HSfoundation(m): 3:31pm On Jan 07, 2018
deenee:
Both are interest bearing financial assets. However note this

TB is government backed while FD is not

TB is tax exempt while FD is not

TB is issued at a discounted rate and redeemed at par while FD can be issued with interest paid back end or upfront.

Both can be liquidated prematurely however at a cost.

The minimum tenor for TB is 91 days and max of 365 while FD is usually monthly (30days) up to 365 days. Also there are some FD on call

As per interest rates, up until now TB had higher rates than FD however rate is not the best criteria to distinguish between both as this is more of operational meaning rates can oscillate both ways for the two financial instruments.

For those looking to build long term wealth. I advise you have a portfolio with varying asset classes to hedge for risk. Ie cash, FD/TD equity and other classes of assets they deem fit.

Funny thing is people always avoid the equity market like it's a plague but know this in any economy there will always be a boom and bust. Oil prices will always go up and down same for dollar. This is what capitalism is all about.

When the naira really down against the dollar I told people that this was the right time to buy naira assets but they refused and some converted their assets to dollars. Some even put money in al sorts of ponzi schemes and got their fingers burnt.

Now for those that study the market well. Compare the prices of the following stocks in Jan 2017 and now Fidelity, Dangote sugar dangote cement stanbic Zenith fbn uba access dangote flour and ROI that a 1m investment will have made in 12months both in capital appreciation and dividend payments

The bitter truth is only long term investors make money ask Warren buffet and study his investment philosophy. On the other hand Nigerian are always looking for the quick way out.

Investing in the Nigerian stock market is a huge joke, where are the Intercontinental bank, Zenith and First bank shares of 10-15 years ago, many have crashed to below 5-10% of their market values at the IPO.....

Abeg if you have other advices but stocks....especially for some one who is not an insider to its running. Hmmmmm

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by HSfoundation(m): 3:33pm On Jan 07, 2018
PNomsule:

Hello mate, i imagine you both are still sampling opinions which is an adviceable way to not get lost. So many informed opinion on the thread already, mine is rather practical and worth more. I work with a duly registered and licenced Cooperative based in Abuja and offer 5% dividend monthly on any sum fixed with us. In three months, 15%, 6months 30%...
0809 905 2680 for further talks bro.

So you kuku want him to get lost inside your phone number? And your cooperative no get name..... A won aburo #Scam

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Commissioning Of Dangote Refinery - (Live Video, Pictures) / Nigerian Entrepreneurs Worth Admiring / Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.