Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,062 members, 7,818,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:34 AM

Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) (54999 Views)

LAUTECH Online Transcripts And Letter Of English Proficiency / 7 Keys To Writing A Story That Scores High In Your English Exams / Test Your English Proficiency Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by oodualover: 9:44pm On Jan 06, 2018
The daughter was drunk, hence, she was beaten by the mum.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by BMCSlayer: 9:46pm On Jan 06, 2018
tumababa:

not the same
I'd appreciate if you tell.me why.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by MissWrite(f): 9:46pm On Jan 06, 2018
The mother, I would say undecided.

A mother beat her daughter because she was drunk.

"A mother" is the subject of the sentence. She's the one doing, and who's action is qualified. Without the conjunction: A mother beat her daughter. She was drunk.
"A mother" is the subject in the first sentence, while "daughter" is the object. In the second sentence, if the daughter is to become the subject, it would be stated. But the pronoun "She" is used because it's taken for granted that "A mother" remains the subject.

1 Like

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Securedlife(m): 9:46pm On Jan 06, 2018
Their landlord is drunk. . .it's a spiritual transfer of effect, if you doubt me ask Morata. . .

1 Like

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by ruffDiamond: 9:47pm On Jan 06, 2018
no wonder Nigeria cannot produce a world classed writer and novelist after the like of Soyinka and Achebe! what is ambiguous in that sentence?any five years old attending good ,school can answer that question!

op,take it to Cambridge
it's the daughter that got drunk
and got beaten
a simple case of cause and effect
simple no argument

a father beats his son because he was late
how far?
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by lastmaster(m): 9:48pm On Jan 06, 2018
o boy! olodo plenty here.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by sway112: 9:48pm On Jan 06, 2018
All of them are drunk... The mother ooo The daughter 000 The bar man* ooo Even Okada man that dropped the drunkard All of them... Drunk
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Oyiboman69: 9:49pm On Jan 06, 2018
ExplicitContent:
Simple -The daughter was the one drunk.

In the sentence it says, 'beat her daughter because she was drunk' .

"because" serves as a conjunction between "daughter" which is a noun following over with the word "she which is an adverb all referring to the daughter..

So the person drunk was the daughter.

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jan 06, 2018
BMCSlayer:
I'd appreciate if you tell.me why.

cos ur sentence referenced ur father n you which is specific and u are d one making d statement. different from A mother and her daughter (not and me)
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by chiasoka101: 9:55pm On Jan 06, 2018
In order to derive the answer, you have to ask yourself this question. 'why was the daughter beaten?' the answer should be ' because she was drunk'.
From this it is the daughter
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by TheEconomist: 9:57pm On Jan 06, 2018
MissWrite:
The mother, I would say undecided.

A mother beat her daughter because she was drunk.

"A mother" is the subject of the sentence. She's the one doing, and who's action is qualified. Without the conjunction: A mother beat her daughter. She was drunk.
Simple.

1 Like

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Stormyweather(m): 9:59pm On Jan 06, 2018
Just one clue to you all. Read up on squinting modifiers. I can't start to explain it now Because I don't have strength to type.
Take a look at this sentence - jogging often relaxes me
Often jogging relaxes me. Often is the squinting modifier here hence it looks like a shift from the main focus. You can buzz me and I'll gladly explain over a voice note. Cheers
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Stormyweather(m): 10:00pm On Jan 06, 2018
sway112:
All of them are drunk...
The mother ooo
The daughter 000
The bar man* ooo
Even Okada man that dropped the drunkard
All of them... Drunk
lol
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by BamideleScope(m): 10:02pm On Jan 06, 2018
The answer simple na, I want everybody to contribute 1st before saying the answer.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by DataMadam(f): 10:03pm On Jan 06, 2018
The mother I guess.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by obeddavidson(m): 10:04pm On Jan 06, 2018
This is ambiguity. It could be the mother, it could be the daughter. No one is in the writer's mind.

1 Like

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by yeddy99: 10:04pm On Jan 06, 2018
The sentence does not provide enough information to enable us determine who was drunk.

1 Like

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by ezelous: 10:09pm On Jan 06, 2018
wtfcoded:
The daughter.

'Because' she was drunk.
F9
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by MELQIZEDEQ(m): 10:10pm On Jan 06, 2018
Lol
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Aarenasbaba(m): 10:13pm On Jan 06, 2018
oshe11:

Lets view this question from this context

If Nigeria govt need N1billion DAILY for the next 365 days to finish a technically won war, how much did Buhari govt spend daily before they technically won the war on Boko Haram?

Is DAT d question u re been asked...... And u complain every time that u fail......change !!!!
This is 2018
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by femo86(m): 10:13pm On Jan 06, 2018
wetin concern me....

I go use my own chop bread

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by ezelous: 10:15pm On Jan 06, 2018
BigBelleControl:
This is an adverbial clause of reason which modifies the verb drunk which is the reason for the action.

Therefore the daughter is the drunk one.
See olodo people wey dey like without reasoning. Who told you it modifies 'drunk'? The verb modified is 'beat' since it features in the main clause. And since the subject of the main clause is 'Her mother', automatically, she's the drunkard.

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by oshe11: 10:15pm On Jan 06, 2018
Aarenasbaba:

Is DAT d question u re been asked...... And u complain every time that u fail......change !!!!
This is 2018
Tried so hard to comprehend U bt cudnt....
Pls use ur native dialect
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Bakrabas: 10:19pm On Jan 06, 2018
The mother beats her daughter because she was drunk. Obviously, we have to answers

1. The mother beat her daughter... Why
2. Because she was drunk

The issue now is that who was drunk among the 2? The mother or daughter?
The answer depends on the perspective you used to attempt it.

There must be a reason why the mother beat her daughter. Why?

1.The daughter was drunk or
2. The herself was drunk and beat her daughter
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Checked86: 10:20pm On Jan 06, 2018
Mama nwanta nwanyi tiri ya ihe maka n' o nghuru manya. it is the daughter.

1 Like

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by hadrisleo(m): 10:20pm On Jan 06, 2018
Flashh:
The drunker knows herself.
gbayi Jawe. the drunk woman knows herself

2 Likes

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jan 06, 2018
Does this bring food to my table?
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by smatme(m): 10:25pm On Jan 06, 2018
Who is drunk?? 1. The daughter 2. The mother. 3. One of them
correct answer =3
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by wale200: 10:25pm On Jan 06, 2018
It could be either of them. The 'she' might be the daughter or the mother.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by tunary(m): 10:32pm On Jan 06, 2018
The daughter
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Shedrack777: 10:35pm On Jan 06, 2018
okonja:
The mother is drunk because a mother in her right sense would not beat her daughter for no reason. cool
for your mind now, you think you've got it? ok what if the mother beat the daughter because the daughter drank to stupor?
this can only be exactly correct by the speaker, because when the speaker will make this statement, i know you'll ask him "who's drunk among them?"
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by richard870(m): 10:41pm On Jan 06, 2018
igraman:
Check this out.
Let's have your answer.
it has generated a lot of arguments here.
@Op, let's be critical a bit here. The 'because' denotes what occasioned (prompted) the mother's action. Obviously, the daughter got drunk, provoked her mother and got an expected disciplinary action

I noticed many here approached the question from a brain teaser's perspective. Nice one though

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Best Answer For How Was Your Night! / JAMB Abolishes UTME Cut-Off Marks / Top 10 Largest Universities In Nigeria By Land Mass

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.