Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,590 members, 7,816,454 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) (15441 Views)

Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 / Honda Accord 99 Or Kia Rio 2006 / Purchasing A New Kia Rio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Fhemmmy: 1:15pm On Apr 18, 2010
Onwan:

This thread is very good eductaion for car owners and intending buyers.

If anyone is buying a brand new - Its a good move to walk into an authorised manufacturers' dealer and be very clear on the [b]model AND specs.
one is buying. One has to be sure if its the Luxury, Standard, Base or even Taxi specification being displayed or priced.
[/b]

My feel is that - at the authorised dealership; chances are low of getting these tampered vehicles. Car dealership is a business where even with the papers, any grey area can lead to some funny sales - for instance, a base model might be sold with airbag BUT without some other accessory or part that is also essential to normal/standard driving - the ultimate protection is to research more on threads like this one and find out little things that one must confirm to be available on whatever specs one's budget can cover.

Also, we all need to understand that its possible to buy a tokumbo full option vehicle without airbags - when parts are stolen at the ports or removed for sale by local dealers; common parts removed in high-end full options vehicle usually includes the airbag sensors and wiring, auxilliary fan, ESP block. This simply shows that some of our local dealers strip down some actual brand new imported vehicles that are standard spec. models and make them "basic" by their own standards - hence incidents like this very unfortunate one here. Its not a joke with loss of lives.

Chief, you have great point and i so much agree with you, however, you still missing some vital point.
It is not the dealers tha tampered with this rides when they get o Nigeria, they requested for them to be strippled down.

Also, even a Taxi model or a Toy model shd not be without an airbag, it is safety and safety {standard} ought to come with airbag.

I think what they ought to strip out could be stuff like power windows, power door lock and all those few things, but not what will save life.

Just my 2 cents
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Nobody: 1:20pm On Apr 18, 2010
Thespecialone:

Some times a few folks here argue like daft people.

1. Have you visited the Kia website and checked if this particular model has airbags?

2. Were you are the scene of accident and saw no airbags at the point of impact?

3. Do you drive a kia or know any one who drives one and has complained  about airbags?

4. That pic looks as though it was taken at a mechanic's workshop, did you ascertain if the airbags have being retrieved?

5. Do you have  undeniable evidence to back your spurious claims?

6. Do you know if this particular car is brand new or second hand?

If your answer is no to atleast two of these questions, then shut up and go research for facts before coming here to spew your verbal diarrhoea!

Relax. There's no need to get so defensively rude. This thread's about educating each other.

I guess the airbags were retrieved, and the retriever took time to replace the driver's side airbag facia (the driver's wheel horn pad) with one that wasn't ripped? And also replaced the passenger's side fascia?

And yes, I have checked. The Kia Rio was fitted with at least a driver's side airbag from the factory on the 2001 MY, both were fitted from June 2002 on all models.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Nobody: 1:24pm On Apr 18, 2010
An excerpt from Wikipedia:

"Safety features included seat belts and an airbag for the driver. ABS was available as an option for entry-line cars but fitted by default for top of the range models (i.e., Rio LX, in the UK, and Rio LS, in Greece)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Rio
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 1:25pm On Apr 18, 2010
Fhemmmy
Differenciating these models, especially the base model from standard brings up a very grey area - and IF its up to the Nigerian dealers to define what a base model is; then it outrightly becomes an issue of cost AND NOT of effectiveness and relevance.

Another very important thing we all need to look into is this;

1. For some vehicles - the Airbag thing is actually switchable - on/off
2. We should not neglect that airbag light - truth is that most of us take it for granted (I personally wont pay as much attention to it as I would an ESP error - Its a big shame)

We really need to educate ourselves on the importance of these factors - they are at times the difference between life and death - or very serious injuries. Do you even know that there is a tool for erasing the Airbag light? - shouldnt that be criminal?  cheesy
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Nobody: 1:39pm On Apr 18, 2010
Here's a screen shot from Kia's website - it clearly states the Rio has both driver's and passenger's side airbags fitted as standard:

Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 1:46pm On Apr 18, 2010
Siena
We know those cars come with airbags. Ive been to their office in VI and all the cars and SUV models I saw there had those.

The issue is what happened and how we can possibly attribute this to some local dealers or carelessness of drivers. Its really very essential we give up all tips here to avoid these kind of things IF it was an in-motion accident.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Fhemmmy: 1:49pm On Apr 18, 2010
I am loving this thread.

Onwan, i now understood your point.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 1:59pm On Apr 18, 2010
In the past - in those days, when you insert a car key and turn it to position 1; you notice all the lights will come on, then they go off when you actually turn on the ignition (Except you have some specific errors).

How come these days in most tokumbo vehicles, there are some parts of the dash where there should be lights but it is always dark - I found from a dealer that when a vehicle comes in and they try their little effort to sort some problems and the lights are still on, they simply remove the instrument cluster and disable (or remove) the corresponding LED for that error and sell it as error free - NOW, THATS VERY DANGEROUS. Remember, that one of those lights might be airbag error light

Thats why I would advise intending buyers to buy vehicles with a computer layout instrument cluster message board (LCD), than those with LEDs iluminating partitioned messages.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by eros(m): 3:23pm On Apr 18, 2010
Very educative thread. . . . keep the comments coming.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Fiver: 3:43pm On Apr 18, 2010
My slogan has always been that it is better to buy a cheap new car than to buy an established brand name car that is second hand!!!!

saddest comment on here!!! sometime we nigerians cant shake off 'status mentality' everywhere we go no matter how educated we seems to be

Can anyone say how much exactly would the dealer/buyer be saving from have a car with no airbag, i doubt its upto N10,000!!

Going the extra mile to remove a standard equipment from these cars is a bit weird to me (wont that be more expensive?)
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 3:52pm On Apr 18, 2010
@Fiver
That standard equipment will cost more than 30k for the tokumbo, and the crooked dealer is not looking at one unit; he is concentrating on the volume. The same way a "business"man will ask Chinese companies to make DVD and VCD players that will only last 2 weeks.

Our best bet is to expose these things and educate ourselves on these little things that amount to live threatening risks.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 4:07pm On Apr 18, 2010
Fiver:

saddest comment on here!!! sometime we nigerians cant shake off 'status mentality' everywhere we go no matter how educated we seems to be

Can anyone say how much exactly would the dealer/buyer be saving from have a car with no airbag, i doubt its upto N10,000!!

Going the extra mile to remove a standard  equipment from these cars is a bit weird to me (wont that be more expensive?)

Its a very sad comment indeed. There is a reason why the Kia or Geely will cost brand new $15,000.00 and a Mercedes will cost brand new $90,000.00. The reason for the price difference is the sophistication and durability, which translates to reliability and safety from re-inforcements and quality materials used.

I was in a Redcab (Suzuki SX4) - EVERYTHING inside is just cheap plastic. There is no way on earth you can compare that 2010 plastic for safety of one's family with even a 1992 Model Honda Accord. The problem, like Fiver rightly mentioned is this false mentality about "brand new".

Personally, with 6M, I would lobby for a Naija used 07 S Class or a Naija used 04 G Wagon than a brand new 2010 Kia SUV (I mean the new one - not the sportage)
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by maballack(m): 4:12pm On Apr 18, 2010
Let me specifically state to you that the Toyoto Corrola from whatever to 2009 base model nigerian doesnot have an airbag , that i am 100% sure of except maybe a GLi which i have seen quite a few , enough to draw up an inference it doesnt have it even written ont he stering whell to say its there and was removed,

@kia rio
there exist no airbag whatsoever, i have a fleet of kia rios for cab service and i call it basically a moving coffin, no airbags whatsoever , so the issue of saying there is no airbag is rightly in place

I dont see why all this page arguments when its a fact that the kia rios  base model and corolla base model up to 2009 am 100% sure does not have an airbag because i have them all
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 4:21pm On Apr 18, 2010
@Maballak
Thanks for that comment, very educative.

To help us know more;

1. Did you know that those "moving coffins" were without airbags when you bought them?
2. Did they give you other options of another model with airbags, OR those were the only models available?
3. Where did you buy them from?
4. How on earth would you roll out a cab service with those coffins knowing fully well the consequences and the risks they pose to your customers? I have an idea how much you would spend equipping each with a tracker, and thats more important to you than the lives of your customers?
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Nobody: 4:29pm On Apr 18, 2010
maballack:

Let me specifically state to you that the Toyoto Corrola from whatever to 2009 base model nigerian doesnot have an airbag , that i am 100% sure of except maybe a GLi which i have seen quite a few , enough to draw up an inference it doesnt have it even written ont he stering whell to say its there and was removed,

@kia rio
there exist no airbag whatsoever, i have a fleet of kia rios for cab service and i call it basically a moving coffin, no airbags whatsoever , so the issue of saying there is no airbag is rightly in place

I dont see why all this page arguments when its a fact that the kia rios  base model and corolla base model up to 2009 am 100% sure does not have an airbag because i have them all

As highlighted in bold, you've said it. You're proudly admitting you're putting profit ahead of the safety of your passengers - it's one thing to buy an older used car that never had airbags fitted, quite another to buy brand new, current models that should have these safety features fitted, but haven't, because some profiteering goons ordered these be stripped prior to shipment, or they were removed after purchase!

The arguements here are why would the powers-that-be in Nigeria sanction the removal of safety features in brand new cars, just to maximise profit, at the expense of lives.

I've said it, and will say it again - Kia Rios do not leave the factory in Korea without airbags! So, why are these airbags removed, and where do they end up?
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by maballack(m): 4:32pm On Apr 18, 2010
I noticed it when i was about purchasing the kia rio, bt noticed that ont he corolla as called bank corolla since, , and no option given on a kia rio had any airbag, bought under Dana , and d ones with airbag  is like what they call full option as that comes with an auto gear and window winds
"imagine full option means airbag and auto gear and window winds, isnt that pathetic, well after purchase dint forget to put a tracker and a comprehensive insurance , because what is available in market is what am making best use of, and poitn of correction the lives of customers even in a fitted vehicle is d driver not the car and equipments , it can only make an accident look mild but stil dependent on the driver and driving, that i dint reciprocate on in employing drivers but , no one is perfect and anything can happen, thats life
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by maballack(m): 4:34pm On Apr 18, 2010
if they dont leave the factory without airbags , did u know that on the bank corolla and the kia rio u dont even see the inscription SRS AIRBAG
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 4:36pm On Apr 18, 2010
@Siena
They end up in branded boxes to be sold to us here in Nigeria. Its terribly unfortunate that these kind of things actually take place. We need him to kindly let us know some details that will help us know IF a major official  distributor by any means CAN be involved in selling these coffins.

I just need that person to help us out here by answering these questions:

1. Did you know that those "moving coffins" were without airbags when you bought them?
2. Did they give you other options of another model with airbags, OR those were the only models available?
4. How on earth would you roll out a cab service with those coffins knowing fully well the consequences and the risks they pose to your customers? I have an idea how much you would spend equipping each with a tracker, and thats more important to you than the lives of your customers?

We need these answers Mr. Maballack, because this is not supposed to end here.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 4:46pm On Apr 18, 2010
maballack:

I noticed it when i was about purchasing the kia rio, bt noticed that ont he corolla as called bank corolla since, , and no option given on a kia rio had any airbag, bought under Dana , and d ones with airbag  is like what they call full option as that comes with an auto gear and window winds
"imagine full option means airbag and auto gear and window winds, isnt that pathetic, well after purchase dint forget to put a tracker and a comprehensive insurance , because what is available in market is what am making best use of, and poitn of correction the lives of customers even in a fitted vehicle is d driver not the car and equipments , it can only make an accident look mild but stil dependent on the driver and driving, that i dint reciprocate on in employing drivers but , no one is perfect and anything can happen, thats life

@Maballack
I must commend your sincerity; I really appreciate and respect you for this.

I know for a fact that transport feasibility only makes sense with Manual gear transmissions due to maintenability and general reliability. From what you are saying, its clear that those models are factory specifications requested by local distributors and dealers NOT LOCALLY TAMPERED WITH. (Im still thinking someone must have said "it doesnt matter" to manual trans. spec without airbags though

Logistics and procurement  people in banks using those Corolla models should be arrested for crimes to humanity, and for everyone's sake, Nigerian government should ban these unsafe specs.

And to think a freak banned importation of vehicles over 10 years BUT allowed importation of unsafe "Brand new" vehicles - Its just sickening.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by maballack(m): 4:52pm On Apr 18, 2010
Dont mind these people, they are capitalising on the reasoning of some people who say that its better to drive a new car no matter than to buy a used imported car, say u dont go to the mechanic and all that little do they know that in thier new cars u need not go to the mechanic but straight to the death bed,
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 4:53pm On Apr 18, 2010
Very true. cheesy
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Fiver: 5:03pm On Apr 18, 2010
Onwan:

@Siena
They end up in branded boxes to be sold to us here in Nigeria. Its terribly unfortunate that these kind of things actually take place. We need him to kindly let us know some details that will help us know IF a major official  distributor by any means CAN be involved in selling these coffins.

I just need that person to help us out here by answering these questions:

We need these answers Mr. Maballack, because this is not supposed to end here.

You mean the cabs FASHOLA endorsed in lagos state? shocked shocked

i can just see the headlines in a 'normal country' Fashola supports flying coffins!!!!
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 5:11pm On Apr 18, 2010
@Fiver
Endorsing the service is one thing, the other thing is to set a standard and specifications of the vehicles in use. I am not aware that Fashola is directly linked to any of the cab services; I had always thought the Transport Commission handles the permits and scrutinization.

Its a mess all the same sir!
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 5:19pm On Apr 18, 2010
And let me add to it that Fashola is a very effective guy.

He only needs minds like ours to bring issues like this to him, so he can take actions at his own level of governance. Its only a pity that the case will directly be handled by guess who;

1. Ministry of transport (Federal)
2. Road Safety (Federal)

And of course, you and I know that Maballack only needs to have a one-on-one conversation with his cheque book and the officers in charge and we will all be smiling again. cheesy
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Fiver: 5:20pm On Apr 18, 2010
Onwan:

@Fiver
Endorsing the service is one thing, the other thing is to set a standard and specifications of the vehicles in use. I am not aware that Fashola is directly linked to any of the cab services; I had always thought the Transport Commission handles the permits and scrutinization.

Its a mess all the same sir!

which also comes under the leadership!

its a total shame Nigerians look out for all the effizy (auto seat massager, auto head adjuster) in cars and pay little attention to safety, i can just see the dealers offering cars with no seatbelt!

maballack:

am 100% sure does not have an airbag because i have them all

wow so buying a new car in nigeria is  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Fiver: 5:24pm On Apr 18, 2010
Onwan:

And let me add to it that Fashola is a very effective guy.

He only needs minds like ours to bring issues like this to him, so he can take actions at his own level of governance. Its only a pity that the case will directly be handled by guess who;

1. Ministry of transport (Federal)
2. Road Safety (Federal)

And of course, you and I know that Maballack only needs to have a one-on-one conversation with his cheque book and the officers in charge and we will all be smiling again. cheesy

I totally agree fashola is an effective governor- well more effective than the rest

But i think he will write his name of more Gold if he can bring this to the attention of Lagos and the Federal Government by kick starting a ban on moving coffins in his state and Nigeria as a whole. I think many Nigerians will support this- until today i thought its impossible to make/sell a car without airbags esp cars over 10years old
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 5:30pm On Apr 18, 2010
Fiver:

which also comes under the leadership!

its a total shame Nigerians look out for all the effizy (auto seat massager, auto head adjuster) in cars and pay little attention to safety, i can just see the dealers offering cars with no seatbelt!

wow so buying a new car in nigeria is  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

@Fiver
This is where I dont want you to go at all.

Buying a new car in Nigeria is as you have anywhere in the world. When I priced a 2009 Landcruiser for instance I was told they have three trims (models) ranging from 13M, 13.7M and 14.5M

This tells you that there is a difference in these trims and you will need to sit with the brochures (free of charge) read up and decide on what you are spending on. I cant imagine someone buying a "Bank" type Corolla for instance for 2.5M brand new and tell someone else who bought a standard model for 4M that they are driving the same brand and model of cars.

The pricing is very essential and should make intending buyers think about what makes one trim more expensive than the other.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Fiver: 5:57pm On Apr 18, 2010
But you have to agree having to ask/offering to pay extra for an airbag is puzzling

the 9safety) responsibility should not just be that of the buyer but the sellers and most importantly the government
the government should just ban all cars without basic safety standards and equipment such as seatbelts, air bag etc
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by maballack(m): 6:00pm On Apr 18, 2010
just to further butress my point that SRS AIRBAG its not even written on the steering let alone in existence, this one of my drivers

Its not the Goverment to blame but we the nigerians and our mentality, imagine where you are given SRS AIRBAG as an Option amongs Auto Gear System ,

And it Goes
Kia rio Full option/toyota full option
Srs airbag,
Abs
Auto gear
, lol
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by maballack(m): 6:00pm On Apr 18, 2010
.i attached a file or rather the pic how come i post the reply it doesnt come up

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Upgrading From 195/65R15 To 205/65R15 Tyres On My 2004 Corolla S / Audi Ditches Russian Doll Car Design So That You Can Differentiate All Its Model / Best Place To Keep Your Car Spare Key

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.