Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,497 members, 7,816,184 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) (15439 Views)

Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 / Honda Accord 99 Or Kia Rio 2006 / Purchasing A New Kia Rio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by debosky(m): 6:10pm On Apr 18, 2010
Siena:

I've said it, and will say it again - Kia Rios do not leave the factory in Korea without airbags! So, why are these airbags removed, and where do they end up?

Siena if that is true, how do you explain a new car shown by maballack which doesn't even have the SRS inscription on the steering wheel? Surely that must imply that the manufacturer (either in Korea or elsewhere) is rolling cars off the production line WITHOUT airbags?

I don't think anyone would go through the trouble of REMOVING airbags, it is more likely that there is a possibility to produce vehicles without these safety 'options' which are regarded as 'standard' elsewhere, when selling to underdeveloped markets like Nigeria.

Again unless you can provide the data on the specifications sent to Nigeria, we can't quickly absolve the manufacturers of rolling out cars with no air bags installed in the first place.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Nobody: 6:18pm On Apr 18, 2010
Debosky, I've searched on all the Kia sites, and the standard specification Rio comes with two front airbags as standard.

Yes, Korean models are cheap, but even they enjoy the safety provided by airbags. Which makes things even worse - why would the Nigerian powers-that-be endorse the import of brand new cars without airbags? In this day and age, why does Nigeria allow her market to be flooded with products even the manufacturers wouldn't sell within their own market? If these cars are truly being manufactured without airbags, that's a shame! Then again, in view of the volume Nigerian distributors buy in, it's possible the non-inscripted steering wheel covers are manufactured to suit. For smaller volume sales, it wouldn't be cost effective for the Koreans to produce them.

Airbags have been standard fare on all cars manufactured since 1996. Even the cheapest car in the world, the Indian-built Tata Nano at £1,360 / $2,160 (approx. 330,000 N) has airbags on the driver's side (base model). If exported to the United States or Britain, it will have a passenger airbag too. So when put into context, a Kia Rio or Toyota Corolla that cost between 2 and 3,2 M N shipped to Nigeria airbag-gratis makes even less sense.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by GeorgeD1(m): 7:39pm On Apr 18, 2010
you peeps are talking as if you don't know what happens between unscrupulous nigerian business men and this korean opportunists! angry
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by sheboi(m): 8:17pm On Apr 18, 2010
I have actually seen a fleet of 2007 corrollas without airbags wld attach pics later,
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Nobody: 8:28pm On Apr 18, 2010
sheboi:

I have actually seen a fleet of 2007 corrollas without airbags wld attach pics later,

This is an eye opener - a well established car manufacturer, with one of their best-selling models being supplied to dealerships sans airbags? 

It would be great to know the root source of these dangerous, down graded models. Who's responsible - Toyota / Kia, or the Nigerian dealerships?
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 9:36pm On Apr 18, 2010
Those vehicles did not come with airbags and did not have airbag signs on them or written anywhere. I am confident they were rolled out from those factories and were not tampered with locally.

That level of tampering did not happen here so you can leave out our local dealers here. Maballack bought from Dana (now Kia Motors Nigera Limited). As far as I am concerned he bought those vehicles off the production line. And of course most service providers are not to be held strictly by what they have on their websites - Its a marketing thing and a business strategy to produce and provide services to suit a class of customers as long as there are no governmental restrictions. Its a global thing.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Nobody: 9:58pm On Apr 18, 2010
Onwan - I think we're talking at cross-purposes here.

I'm not referring to dealerships tampering with the safety features on the cars, after they've been supplied. I'm referring to the fact these cars are supplied to dealerships in Nigeria, without airbags, when in their home country, they have airbags as standard.

So, these are delivered to Nigerian dealerships without airbags - but on who's sayso? I doubt Kia would deliver these cars without airbags, unless they were instructed to do so! And in this case, why would they be requested without SRS, if not to cut down cost, and maximise profit? It's common practice for different countries to have different trim levels, these are set by the supplying dealerships in any given country. So the options on let's say, a US-spec Toyota Corolla GLX will likely be different from the same car for the British market, in terms of trim levels. But as far as I know, this will not delete SRS, and it's criminal for Nigerian dealers to charge a premium for these safety features, by giving a customer the option of going for a higher spec model, which may have the same engine, and comfort features, with SRS being the optional extra? When it's actually a no-cost option?

This is my particular gripe here. Considering I'm not resident in Nigeria, buyers in Nigeria should be up in arms at being forced to either upgrade their model, thus paying more to have an SRS-equipped car, or stick with a potentially unsafe model without. So, the extra being paid for the peace of mind of having the additional safety feature, who's pocket does it end up in? Obviously not Kia Korea's.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by adconline(m): 10:05pm On Apr 18, 2010
YOU NIGERIANS ARE BUSY BLAMING KOREANS, HOW MANY VEHICLES HAVE YOU PRODUCED AS A COUNTRY?
AND YOU ARE BUSY RAISING TANTRUMS. YOUR GRADUATE ENGINEERS CANNOT EVEN DESIGN A CIRCUIT AND YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT AIRBAGS. DO YOU KNOW THE MECHANISM BEHIND DESIGNING A VEHICLE. I THINK YOU NIGERIANS NEED TO BE COLONIZED THE SECOND TIME. THIS TIME BY THE KOREANS. IT IS CLEAR YOU CANNOT SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS YOURSELVES. TAKE FOR INSTANCE, POWER GENERATION, REAL ESTATE, RESTAURANTS. VERY SOON YOU WILL COMPLETELY BE TURNED INTO SLAVES. VERY SOON!

what a replica of idiocy!!!
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Aare1(m): 11:22pm On Apr 18, 2010
@ adconline's post shocked shocked grin grin grin
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 11:25pm On Apr 18, 2010
@Siena
I think it will be easier to break this thing down to you since you are Nigerian but just not resident here.

Companies have brand management and market research teams, whose job is to tailor their products and services to suit terrains, cultures and budgets; which explains why you have some cheap Nokia phones with torch-lights, Ibo and Hausa Languages in their manuals, and why you have some cheap quality LG TVs with Ibo, Hausa and Yoruba on their Menu languages - these products are by all standard below average BUT as far as they are concerned, Nigerians dont appreciate the E90s, the N96s and those high-ends - Not because me and you dont use them, BUT their bottom line figures shows low income from these models on the average, hence the flooding of the market with these substandard BUT "Nigerian" Phones and TVs, and its giving them the required chart curves and figures.

Coming to the cars - You need to have the right background that most brand new vehicle buyers are corporate organisations and they tend to change these after months or years to be competetive in their marketing and packaging by buying the latest. With this in mind, they have a tailored budget for these disposables and with some stingy OR prudent OR crooked procurement team; they generally tell the supplier on the average that they should supply brand new vehicles without the extras BUT it must be brand new.

The market research team therefore understands that 90% of their clientel for these new cars are corporate organisations and to meet their budget on the average they need to push the categorization of these models to exclude certain features - You and I really dont know the cost of these airbag systems BUT Im sure it will be quite a bit for them to exclude from the base models.

So its simply a case of our general request being made into a policy by manufacturers based on pricing issues and the accompanying deals over time.

IF the government will clamp down generally on all of these manufacturers, it will be a very good thing BUT we cannot have just one or two manufacturers stop it; it will only shift their market to the next idiot that will offer them those cars with the cheaper specs.

The other day, a guy was happy to get a Brand new Yaris for 1.5M - he doesnt care about the specs (as far as he is concerned If its CD player and leather that is the difference, he will buy locally and install - even with TV); tell him it doesnt have airbags and he will ask you if his surname is Schumaker - So what we need is to educate ourselves on the importance of their knowledge of the full specifications of a car before buying. Remember that those bank Corolla vehicles are very hot when to be auctioned.

So, like I said, its up to us to give them 0% market on such vehicles and they will be forced to rethink their strategies and include those basic features in the base models (especially the manual transmission models - for transportation) without necessarily substantially increasing the prices.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Akainzo(m): 11:39pm On Apr 18, 2010
The fact of the matter is simple: Is there a requirement for cars to have airbags in Nigeria?

As we cannot answer in the affirmative to the above question, then those dealers have not broken any rules and thus not liable for anything. All the fault lies squarely with the government as we have an ineffective road safety agency.

Let me relate my own personal experience. When the 2008 model Octavia came out in 2007 and won all safety awards in Europe, getting the first 7-stars in safety for a car. Then I was in UK and I started the process to get the Octavia, it was an eye opener.

When  I contacted Skoda and informed them I wanted an Octavia and let them know I wanted it in Nigeria, then the drama started. I was referred to the head office, from there I was informed that the 'Nigerian version' would not be ready until September 2008. To confirm this, the head office linked me up with their Nigerian dealership and Stallion Motors confirmed the September date.

In August 08, Stallion contacted me and invited me to the unveiling in Lagos, at the unveiling at Silverbird I was shocked at the safety specs of the Octavia. I got in touch with the head office and they confirmed that the spec was right and produced by them as recommended by the local dealership. They informed me that they depend on the local reps to help fine tune what the people require and what Nigerians want are the cheap models.

I did my investigations and I can confirm that it is the same situation for Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen. I was forced to buy my Accord directly from US rather than Nigeria. Now Honda Place has refused to service my car just for the fact that it is an American model.

The Nigerian government should wake up and start to protect the citizens.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 11:42pm On Apr 18, 2010
@Akainzo
^^^ End of Discussion

Its a shame BUT its the simple fact.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Nobody: 11:50pm On Apr 18, 2010
90% of the products sold in nigeria are below standard at the request of the retailers

and thats for branded products

thee are a lot of products sold in nigeria that do not exist anywhere else - the are manufactured in china at the behest of local businessen and branded with a generic name, and a lot of engladn/japan stickers are slapped on the product
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Nobody: 12:15am On Apr 19, 2010
Akainzo:

The Nigerian government should wake up and start to protect the citizens.

This is exactly the point I'm trying to get across.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Osama10(m): 12:25am On Apr 19, 2010
The government is to be blamed on sub-standard goods brought into the country,no quality control is as simple as that.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Fhemmmy: 12:52am On Apr 19, 2010
Osama10:

The government is to be blamed on sub-standard goods brought into the country,no quality control is as simple as that.

I am sure we have all the quality controls, but they just need to be enforced, and stop taking money in exchange for the safety of the citizens
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Osama10(m): 12:58am On Apr 19, 2010
Fhemmmy:

I am sure we have all the quality controls, but they just need to be enforced, and stop taking money in exchange for the safety of the citizens

You are right.

But if there is a rule and its not been enforced, its the same thing as not having one.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Fhemmmy: 1:02am On Apr 19, 2010
Osama10:

You are right.

But if there is a rule and its not been enforced, its the same thing as not having one.

If there is a rule and it is not been enforced, it is worse than if there is no rule and that is what i am trying to point out, but do understand where you are coming from.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Osama10(m): 1:25am On Apr 19, 2010
Thats the whole dilemma we are in this country just only if common and simple rules/laws are been enforced, naija would be very sweet to live in.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Fhemmmy: 1:31am On Apr 19, 2010
Only if that will ever happen . . . . .
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by shola75: 3:03am On Apr 19, 2010
Experience has shown before now that new cars bought in Nigeria are empty shell compared to the American specs. Buyers who are not willing to spend judiciusly and some of them might not have the trusted link to pre-order from the US.
This is one of the major reason why i personally decided to be a dealer. Trusted dealers must rise up to the occassion with integrity. Beware that "cheap things are no good, and good and quality things are no cheap".
From: Covenant of Grace motors international. A name and company you can trust. Good luck Nigerians, and may God raise selfless leaders.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by ghm: 8:08am On Apr 19, 2010
This is a very interesting and educative thread. The most important thing here is the buyer's education. I noticed that these brand new car sellers in Nigeria always says the truth at all times in giving specifications of the vehicles on display but the buyers hardly take notice of it.

My experience, I took interest in Kia sportage and decided to buy one but after visiting a couple of Kia Centres I was not satisfied with the specifications that were brought into Nigeria compared with those ones that were described in the manufaturer's international websites. (to give a little datail - like six airbags compared to only one or two, 2.7 ltr engine compared to 2 litre engine, cruise control, tyre pressure management system, etc). I decided then that it won't be a good value for my money.

I ended up importing brand new one from the US with my desired specifications. I saw this as a value for my money, it's been running for 3 years now and still performing great.

Ironically some KIA brands (like Opirus) are very loaded even in Nigeria. Buyers need to define what they want and go for it and they shouldn't complain too much on the specs because it has been there before they dropped their money on it.

Our complaints should be to the government who allowed such vehicles to enter the country. Do anyone know which govt. agency we can channel such complaints to? Please fire on.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 8:41am On Apr 19, 2010
Buyers' eductation is the key right now, we can help ourselves by letting people know the vitals to look out for in buying new vehicles or even tokumbo vehicles.

Some tokumbo vehicle owners think they dont have airbag problems because they dont have the error light on; what they do not know is that the light has probably been disabled before he/she bought the vehicle.

I believe that we are the government and one of us might end up being in one of these agencies (FRSC for instance) that will be able to bring these issues to light OR at least ask his/her colleagues to include airbag check in their routine - But on the other hand how the hell will they know if it works or not?.

That government thing is very secondary, we can continue bucking it up to the "Government" all we want BUT the primary responsibility remains ours to educate ourselves on what to buy and what not to buy.

Once they notice no one is going for these unsafe vehicles, they simply move that scheme to Togo or Ivory Coast or something.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Akainzo(m): 9:23am On Apr 19, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Fhemmmy, sorry to burst the bubble. There is NO LAW like that in Nigeria.

It is not a case of enforcement, it is a lack of existing law. The Nigerian government and its agencies (FRSC) is yet to realize the importance of safety and codifying this requirements into law. It might interest you to note that there is not codified Federal or State law/edit/bye-law that stipulates the requirements/standards for public transportation in Nigeria. That explains why Danfos or Molues is still allowed. The VIO checks pertains to brakes, body, and tyres only, no specification as to no of passengers, sitting clearance, etc.

That is the state we are in. Compare to the US or Europe where there are clear guidelines as to what the minimum standards are. It might interest you to know that Kia now offers a 10 year warranty on its cars in US!
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 9:40am On Apr 19, 2010
@Akainzo
Good point you have right there. Like I said earlier, manufacturers tailor their products to suit on-ground requirements and regulations in place; I guess the US/Europe markets are what you can call up-scale markets for them.

In our our own case people need to know how important these features are in vehicles, they need to understand what those standards are and the different specifications accompanying each. I personally know that these same china things we complain about in Nigeria are available even in the US and Europe - we have people peddling fake products on eBay and they are really getting them sold out there.

If you walk into a car shop; you are bound to see and have different options; IF your safety is important to you, you simply pick the option that has the airbag system in place. Mr Maballac had the options to pick an auto trans with airbag OR a manual trans without airbag and he made his choice. IF everyone keeps dumping the no-airbag specs, they will simply have to get those airbags installed at their own expense or ship them back to wherever they came from.

I am impressed with the manufacturers who did not include the airbag systems AND did not write or paste the "AIRBAG" sign anyehere in the vehicles. That shows it was a legitimate factory roll-out based on requests and research. IF Nigerians themselves start turning down these specs, they simply stop making them that way. Its really up to us.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by jpphilips(m): 10:02am On Apr 19, 2010
How come nobody is also thinking of the possibility of a defective airbag (SRS) system in this car. I have seen a lot of people driving their so called american/japanese machines (cars) with their airbag lights on on the dashboard and yet they dont think about checking it out. I think we are all jumping to hasty conclusions. The lights on your instruments cluster are to warn in case there is a problem and that is why the airbag light is RED not green. So there could have been another side to these stories. Mind you, i am not a kia or hyundai lover.

Defective Airbag on a brand new less than two years?
re u kidding me?
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by dustydee: 10:05am On Apr 19, 2010
adconline:

YOU NIGERIANS ARE BUSY BLAMING KOREANS, HOW MANY VEHICLES HAVE YOU PRODUCED AS A COUNTRY?
AND YOU ARE BUSY RAISING TANTRUMS. YOUR GRADUATE ENGINEERS CANNOT EVEN DESIGN A CIRCUIT AND YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT AIRBAGS. DO YOU KNOW THE MECHANISM BEHIND DESIGNING A VEHICLE. I THINK YOU NIGERIANS NEED TO BE COLONIZED THE SECOND TIME. THIS TIME BY THE KOREANS. IT IS CLEAR YOU CANNOT SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS YOURSELVES. TAKE FOR INSTANCE, POWER GENERATION, REAL ESTATE, RESTAURANTS. VERY SOON YOU WILL COMPLETELY BE TURNED INTO SLAVES. VERY SOON!

that we dont produce cars doesn't mean we should allow those that do to kill us.
It is not true that our graduate engineers cannot design circuits, we not only design circuits,but take it or leave it, we design processors so stop exhibiting ignorance.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by babsmii(m): 10:14am On Apr 19, 2010
adconline:

shut that thing you call mouth there!! must every country produce cars. are there no non- car producing countries with a import standard organizations like our SON. even the chinese are acquiring so many business in the mighty usa, does that mean the americas will become slaves to them,
spitting rubbish
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by jpphilips(m): 10:41am On Apr 19, 2010
I doubt it hasn't. Every industry has industry safety standards and regulations and all cars must meet these standard before they're certified for use. The law's been amended continuously. The only explanation is that the triggering system's defective.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha, safety laws? in korea? export vehicle at that?
destination; Naija, the land of what i cannot decode, when SON and CPA are sleeping
and if the Koreans fail then?
the Naija police will ask you for road worthiness on a brand new private vehicle
you really underestimate this country
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by indie22(f): 11:08am On Apr 19, 2010
The kia rio models (made for the nigeria market and distributed by dana motors) do not come with airbags, they are instead ordered with seat belt pretensioners, this is obviously to minimize cost, i get a lot of schtik from customers, wondering, "in this age and time, a brand new car with no airbags"?

but what can i say?, since there is no regulatory body in nigeria for such things, major distributors are free to do as they please,

Its really unfair to the consumers, but you will be surprised to find out that a lot of consumers dont really mind the absence od airbags in the rio, its still our highest selling model funny enough.

Most people that buy "kia", do so because of only one factor: price! they are less expensive than a lot of other brands, kia consumers are not looking or buying luxury, all they want is a car that can get them from point a to b and will not give them the kind of problems a fairly used vehicle will, they are looking for fuel efficiency and cheap to maintain, that wat kia offers,

i drive a Rio funny enough, for me its an easy drive, dnt spend much on gas, gets me wherever i want to go, thats all i need in a car for now.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by BynoBaba: 11:43am On Apr 19, 2010
TO ALL OF YOU THAT DRIVE KIA RIOS AND ANY OTHER DISGUSTING KIA CAR - I SUGGEST YOU START MAKING YOUR PEACE WITH GOD NOW.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Upgrading From 195/65R15 To 205/65R15 Tyres On My 2004 Corolla S / Audi Ditches Russian Doll Car Design So That You Can Differentiate All Its Model / Best Place To Keep Your Car Spare Key

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.