Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,184 members, 7,818,594 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port (22099 Views)

$9bn Dangote Refinery To Begin Test Production By May 2019 Videos / Building And Construction Works At Its Best / NPA Pays $23m Equity Funding In Lekki Deep Seaport Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:48am On Jan 30, 2018
Badonasty:

I'm sorry if my comment might offend you but I think this is a private sector investment and one thing I believe investors need is security and peace of mind while running their business so who would want to invest in a volatile region rife with kidnapping,thuggery and all sorts of crime...the governors from those state need to do more in order to convince potential investors
That's a big issue to me. Take the ND States for example. How is it so easy to drill crude oil there but hard to let the ports work effectively? If thuggery is really a problem, when exactly? When they are taking away from the people or when they try to invest on the people?
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:50am On Jan 30, 2018
adedayourt:

As much as I agree with you posit i want you to also be aware that the project doesn't seem to be a federal project but rather a Lagos state govt project partnering with private investors.

What is stopping others states from following suit in the name of evenly developing the country?
PH did same and the ports is still almost irrelevant? Don't you think there's something holding these governors and states back? Don't you think there's a reason the port Harcourt ports don't enjoy same thing enjoyed by the Lagos ports. To be honest with you, I think it's deliberate. But countries don't grow that way.
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:51am On Jan 30, 2018
Rekeb:

Customs doesn't run ports.
And customs have no business in the ports too.
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Badonasty(m): 8:52am On Jan 30, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
That's a big issue to me. Take the ND States for example. How is it so easy to drill crude oil there but hard to let the ports work effectively? If thuggery is really a problem, when exactly? When they are taking away from the people or when they try to invest on the people?

That crude oil is another issue in the sense that the oil companies don't have a choice...don you know how much these oil companies pay to the guys in those areas as protection money!?aw regards the issue of ports the nd and se govts need to find a way to help themselves and not wait for fg

1 Like

Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by adedayourt(m): 8:54am On Jan 30, 2018
gregyboy:

They know all this already...they favour thier cohort which the yorubas...if they do for lagos automatically it becomes for tle whole yorubas...favoritism in play

This is purely a state project, why can't your state govt engage in similar project foe you where you came from undecided
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by adedayourt(m): 8:58am On Jan 30, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
PH did same and the ports is still almost irrelevant? Don't you think there's something holding these governors and states back? Don't you think there's a reason the port Harcourt ports don't enjoy same thing enjoyed by the Lagos ports. To be honest with you, I think it's deliberate. But countries don't grow that way.

And do u facts behind the irrelevancy status of the ph port?

I still bliv the state govt ain't doing enough to change the status quo for the better in that region.
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Nobody: 8:59am On Jan 30, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
Personally, I think it's silly. Like a mother that deliberately inhibits the growth of her children. Somebody is trying to say these Ports are state projects and you begin to wonder whether there is a body called Lagos State Custom Service that will run the place. A country doesn't grow like this. We need about 6 or more of what you have in Apapa all over the country. Same policy. Same clearing fee. Same system.

I think you missed the part where it was clearly stated that the main promoter of the ports is Tollarams - a private company, with equity contribution from the LASG - the same way Eko Atlantic is also being promoted by the Chagoury group with support from LASG. Isn't it more productive to hold your governors accountable? Obaino is forever signing MOUs that lead no-where - same with a lot of governors across Nigeria.

The same states that haven't signed common C of O in years (I worked in a bank with branches across Nigeria, so I know) are hoping that investors would come and just dump their money in those states. So many of the governors you hail here for being 'fearless' have a history of not honoring contracts, and the judicial systems in their states are archaic, and yet you are wondering why development is not coming? What sane investor would put his money where there is no C of O (hence no title to land purchased), no history of obeying contracts (hence no protection), no imagination on the part of the rulers, hence no vision & foresight?

In Rivers state, a governor closed down a hotel for allowing opposition hold meetings there, and tomorrow they would claim they are investor friendly. Or is it in that northern state a governor bull-dozed a radio station he was guest-of-honour at it's launching just months eearlier for criticizing him?

Brother, please get serious.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:59am On Jan 30, 2018
Badonasty:

That crude oil is another issue in the sense that the oil companies don't have a choice...don you know how much these oil companies pay to the guys in those areas as protection money!?aw regards the issue of ports the nd and se govts need to find a way to help themselves and not wait for fg
Dude, are these guys stupid? Do you think you will act different if you were raised there? Your argument is too liquid. They don't have a choice because are taking from these people but when it comes to giving back, they get one. Who's talking about money here?

How much do you think will clean up their lands, how much will clean up their hearts from the grudge they hold against Nigeria, how much will clean up any evil intention they have for a country that only saw them as cash cow? You won't react differently if you were in their shoes.
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Nobody: 9:02am On Jan 30, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
And who will run this port? The Nigerian Custom Service or who exactly?

And why are you trying to turn it to a tribal banter. Is that an easier way to follow the argument or what exactly?

The Nigerian Custom service would collect duties on behalf of the FG, and also inspect incoming cargoes for contrabands, while the owners of the port would manage the port complex.
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:03am On Jan 30, 2018
Bagehot:

I think you missed the part where it was clearly stated that the main promoter of the ports is Tollarams - a private company, with equity contribution from the LASG - the same way Eko Atlantic is also being promoted by the Chagoury group with support from LASG. Isn't it more productive to hold your governors accountable? Obaino is forever signing MOUs that lead no-where - same with a lot of governors across Nigeria.

The same states that haven't signed common C of O in years (I worked in a bank with branches across Nigeria, so I know) are hoping that investors would come and just dump their money in those states. So many of the governors you hail here for being 'fearless' have a history of not honoring contracts, and the judicial systems in their states are archaic, and yet you are wondering why development is not coming? What sane investor would put his money where there is no C of O (hence no title to land purchased), no history of obeying contracts (hence no protection), no imagination on the part of the rulers, hence no vision & foresight?

In Rivers state, a governor closed down a hotel for allowing opposition hold meetings there, and tomorrow they would claim they are investor friendly. Or is it in that northern state a governor bull-dozed a radio station he was guest-of-honour at it's launching just months eearlier for criticizing him?

Brother, please get serious.
Simple questions. Will the Nigerian Customs Service be in that port? Why is the PH ports not enjoying the same favors as the Apapa ports?

You see, let's forget any issue we have with the governors. Bulldozing a radio station or closing down a hotel is nothing here.

I can also point to the destruction of the properties of those in Otodo Gbame by LGSG in a case still in court. These are different issues.
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:05am On Jan 30, 2018
adedayourt:

And do u facts behind the irrelevancy status of the ph port?

I still bliv the state govt ain't doing enough to change the status quo for the better in that region.
Facts? States. I'm telling you that it will you take you five times the money you spend in Lagos to import from there. It doesn't allow all forms of goods.
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:08am On Jan 30, 2018
Bagehot:

The Nigerian Custom service would collect duties on behalf of the FG, and also inspect incoming cargoes for contrabands, while the owners of the port would manage the port complex.
Now I wonder how the FG is not involved if the Customs are involved.
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Nobody: 9:08am On Jan 30, 2018
Sapiosexuality:

I have a relative working with Mobil at Eket, and if you hear of the ridiculous things they encounter, you would just keep laughing. The funniest, a group of cripples went to barricade their office complex, and wouldn't go until they are settled. The honest truth is that across the world, crude oil is often found in the most volatile parts (by an accident of nature maybe) - Iraq, Iran, Venezuela, Deep Seas etc., so IOCs already have experience in dealing in the most difficult terrains. IOCs by and large have extensive security and logistics arrangements & experience, to pull it off - most companies dont.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by EarthXmetahuman: 9:11am On Jan 30, 2018
Jaguntemmy:

IGBO PEOPLE SPEND OVER 60% OF THEIR LIVE IN THE WEST AND ONLY GO BACK HOME TO DIE OR DO SOMETHING WASTEFUL. YOU DON NEED A SEA PORT FOR THAT NA.
SEE HOW DEM GO QUE TO INSULT ME

1 Like

Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:12am On Jan 30, 2018
Bagehot:

I have a relative working with Mobil at Eket, and if you hear of the ridiculous things they encounter, you would just keep laughing. The funniest, a group of cripples went to barricade their office complex, and wouldn't go until they are settled. The honest truth is that across the world, crude oil is often found in the most volatile parts (by an accident of nature maybe) - Iraq, Iran, Venezuela, Deep Seas etc., so IOCs already have experience in dealing in the most difficult terrains. IOCs by and large have extensive security and logistics arrangements & experience, to pull it off - most companies dont.
But they are still there? They didn't leave. That shows something still works. Why not do same for the ports. I know how the ND boys behave but it's a typical behaviour of anyone who have experienced their life. The FG wrecked them and still do, and if the change must begin, they must also be involved in their salvation. The guys need structures, FG gives them money. They need counselling, FG gives them money. They need clean up, the FG gives them money. But peace is worth more than money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by COOLDK(m): 9:17am On Jan 30, 2018
CASTOSVILLA:
He said Igbo land and those places you mentioned aint Igbo. Your illiteracy stinks5to high heavens

By their utterances, you shall know them.

What region is Igbo land? And what region are those places I mentioned are?

You just turned out to be the Most successful Aridin with your comment up there.
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by PearlStreet(m): 9:28am On Jan 30, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
I'm sorry but I don't think the growth of Lagos, Abuja, have anything to do with the visionary leadership of the SW or NC leaders. I don't think there's any difference between the leadership of the SW, SS and SE. I can agree the growth of Ogun has a lot to do with the visionary leadership of Ogun State leadership. I hope you don't see this as tribal talk but Lagos is the making of the Leadership of Nigeria right from the colonial era. I hope you don't misinterpret this.

Which part of Lagos was developed by the Colonial masters? Which part is referred to as Lagos state?
Because most of you don't read, whenever you hear Lagos as a federal capital, you think it's the same thing as Lagos State.
It's just Lagos Island that was a federal capital. It didn't even extend to Lekki Phase 1 or Oshodi as those places were under Western Region.

Meanwhile, the fact that you said you don't see the difference between SW and SE leaders means you're gonna be shedding these same tears for a long time. Keep electing people like TA Orji and Ikpeazu to lead you, na you sabi.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Kinikini: 9:29am On Jan 30, 2018
Crimes such as the kidnapping of foreigners and locals alike scare investment. Moreover, this is championed by the Lagos State Govt. What stops other governors from doing same. Instead, they build statues and advise youths to steal. Blame no one but the leaderships.

Sapiosexuality:
I don't understand this country.

Why not spread the wealth rather than make Lagos the only commercial viable state?

Why not open up the entire country for business for opening up ports in other States to full capacity?

I don't mean that thing happening in PH port where you'd need x5 of the money clearing in Lagos will cost you.

Open the entire country for business and watch unemployment and poverty reduced to the lowest value.

We have the Apapa Ports, Tincan Ports, the Badagry Port is on, and now we are on Lekki Sea Port. Isn't this stupidity?

As low as the UK is, there are about 40 Ports evenly distributed but here it's all Lagos and some mediocre system on the other ports.

We can't grow like this. We don't need such clueless economic plan to grow. Spread the ports and open up the country for business.

Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:31am On Jan 30, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
Dude, are these guys stupid? Do you think you will act different if you were raised there? Your argument is too liquid. They don't have a choice because are taking from these people but when it comes to giving back, they get one. Who's talking about money here?

How much do you think will clean up their lands, how much will clean up their hearts from the grudge they hold against Nigeria, how much will clean up any evil intention they have for a country that only saw them as cash cow? You won't react differently if you were in their shoes.

One question I am going to ask you is. Have you been to the SS and psychoanalyze the average youth in that region? or lets say, hold a co0nversation with one of them?.

I have and I know the things I heard. Development will NEVER come to that region with the kind of mentality they have.

Concerning the cleaning up of their lands. Whenever there is an oil spill, the clean up team gets there within 24hrs. Do you know what these youths do to these guys? They dont let them work until they have paid a certain amount of money. These are people that want to help you clean up your land! Do you think those guys wont get tired of such attitude and stop coming all together?

The mentality of the Average SS youth needs to change.

1 Like

Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Omooniya1: 9:33am On Jan 30, 2018
Please do your research very well!! is dere any sea port in the North or Even North Central before u bring sentiment.

[quote author=austin2all post=64628071]yet not even a single sea port in the entire igbo land. one nigeria my left nyash.[/quote
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by obailala(m): 9:34am On Jan 30, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
I don't understand this country.

Why not spread the wealth rather than make Lagos the only commercial viable state?

Why not open up the entire country for business for opening up ports in other States to full capacity?

I don't mean that thing happening in PH port where you'd need x5 of the money clearing in Lagos will cost you.

Open the entire country for business and watch unemployment and poverty reduced to the lowest value.

We have the Apapa Ports, Tincan Ports, the Badagry Port is on, and now we are on Lekki Sea Port. Isn't this stupidity?

As low as the UK is, there are about 40 Ports evenly distributed but here it's all Lagos and some mediocre system on the other ports.

We can't grow like this. We don't need such clueless economic plan to grow. Spread the ports and open up the country for business.

I wouldnt know whether these sort of comments are just out of ignorance, or if it's just out of a compulsive desire to claim 'victimhood'. I must confess, the last time I saw this sort of weird argument on this forum was during the hey days of IPob.

Lagos State Government is building a seaport in Lekki, and you are lamenting why they aren't building it in other parts of the country?... Is Lagos State Government meant to build a seaport in Rivers state of Akwa-Ibom or Bayelsa?... Are you also going to lament why Lagos State Government isnt paying up salary arrears of teachers in Bayelsa?

Sevaral people have already clarified this point to you but you still in insist in having the 'victimhood/I-am-being-cheated' argument; claiming that Lagos cant build a seaport without FG backing. Of course, a seaport would be regulated by fedetal laws and operated by the federal ports authority/Customs etc. But please, to add value to your argument, kindly point out any case of a state government which desired to build a seaport but was stopped by FG?

8 Likes

Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:34am On Jan 30, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
But they are still there? They didn't leave. That shows something still works. Why not do same for the ports. I know how the ND boys behave but it's a typical behaviour of anyone who have experienced their life. The FG wrecked them and still do, and if the change must begin, they must also be involved in their salvation. The guys need structures, FG gives them money. They need counselling, FG gives them money. They need clean up, the FG gives them money. But peace is worth more than money.

FG doesnt give them money,. They are the ones who ask for money instead. A contractor will go to SS to build a structure that will help them, they wont let him build because of all sort of fees they want him to pay. While he is till contemplating that, the Elders will go and meet him behind and tell him to pay a certain amount and they will sign that he has built the structure to present to FG.

Can you see that kind of mentality?

1 Like

Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by obailala(m): 9:38am On Jan 30, 2018
Sapiosexuality:

Just a piece of factual information for you, most of the irate youths who involve in those acts are just natural born criminals who arent even from oil producing or oil bearing or pipeline crossing communities. Have you heard of a local govt called Uvwie in Warri?... Uvwie has no single oil well and has no single case of oil spill or polluted land. But take a trip to Warri and go find out the kind of humans you are defending from afar.
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:40am On Jan 30, 2018
PearlStreet:

Which part of Lagos was developed by the Colonial masters? Which part is referred to as Lagos state?
Because most of you don't read, whenever you hear Lagos as a federal capital, you think it's the same thing as Lagos State.
It's just Lagos Island that was a federal capital. It didn't even extend to Lekki Phase 1 or Oshodi as those places were under Western Region.

Meanwhile, the fact that you said you don't see the difference between SW and SE leaders means you're gonna be shedding these same tears for a long time. Keep electing people like TA Orji and Ikpeazu to lead you, na you sabi.
Lol. This is not logic. It wasn't Lagos that was the capital but Lagos Island? Lololol. More like Abuja is not the capital of Nigeria but just Asokoro. It's not Ikeja that is the capital of Lagos but Alausa. Lol. I won't even argue this or any of the others.
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Badonasty(m): 9:41am On Jan 30, 2018
Sapiosexuality:

I respect your argument...we need more people like you on this platform
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by obailala(m): 9:42am On Jan 30, 2018
Sapiosexuality:

Peace is a very vital ingredient to attract investment, there's no law stopping importers from using those ports in the Niger delta, not everything is the doing of the FG, not everything is a conspiracy. Go down to those places and find out for yourself why importers would rather import through Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Omooniya1: 9:42am On Jan 30, 2018
chngebeginwthme:

So you want Ambode to come and build seaport for you guys? Lekki and Badagry Seaport is owned by Lagos Lagos State..

Some states are developing while your Governors are looting you dry you guys keep hating..

Thank you bros u say my mind!!.... south East governors busy putting dere investments in statues grin

1 Like

Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:48am On Jan 30, 2018
JeffreyJamez:

One question I am going to ask you is. Have you been to the SS and psychoanalyze the average youth in that region? or lets say, hold a co0nversation with one of them?.

I have and I know the things I heard. Development will NEVER come to that region with the kind of mentality they have.

Concerning the cleaning up of their lands. Whenever there is an oil spill, the clean up team gets there within 24hrs. Do you know what these youths do to these guys? They dont let them work until they have paid a certain amount of money. These are people that want to help you clean up your land! Do you think those guys wont get tired of such attitude and stop coming all together?

The mentality of the Average SS youth needs to change.
Lololol. Clean up team gets there in 24 hours? Lololol. This is a white lie. A fat one at that. If actually that is the case how did we get to Ogoni? The guys were never violent from the start but the FG and the companies destroyed their psyche and left them with no space of positive growth. How were these guys faring before Saro Wiwa was put to sleep? Why did they develop such nasty attitude? Who made them what they are today. Simple. The FG.
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by SIRTee15: 9:49am On Jan 30, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
Lol. This is not logic. It wasn't Lagos that was the capital but Lagos Island? Lololol. More like Abuja is not the capital of Nigeria but just Asokoro. It's not Ikeja that is the capital of Lagos but Alausa. Lol. I won't even argue this or any of the others.

Lagos state was never the capital of nigeria....
Lagos comprising Victoria island, ikoyi, Lagos island, n the marine side of mainland was the federal capital....
90% of mainland was part of western region....
Awolowo built all the industrial estate in ikeja and not the FG.....
western region was later divided into Lagos state n western state in 1967....

7 Likes

Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by Omooniya1: 9:51am On Jan 30, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
A Seaport, without the backing of the FG, is bullshi't. It doesn't exist. Checks and balancing, logistics, etc., will be provided by the FG and not any local militia group or body set up by the state.

let ur governors initiate a project and see whether FG will not support dem......atleast federal government support Imo state governor by commissioning all the Statues he build grin grin grin grin
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by johnstar(m): 9:52am On Jan 30, 2018
Anybody dey work for ship here?

Abeg try smuggle me

Dis country tire me abeg i wn go usa

Or u get anybody wey dey work for ship

Let me know I'm very serious abeg
Re: Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port by ojesymsym: 9:52am On Jan 30, 2018
Kaduna recently commissioned a dry seaport, and I think Edo is thinking in those same lines so why are some people creating a perception of deliberate victimization

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FOREX Crisis: Naira Plunges To 1,025/$, Job Losses, Factory Shutdown Loom / We’re Unaware Of Otedola’s Share Acquisitions – FBN Holdings / How Do I Recover A Debt From My Pastor?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.