Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,239 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:27 AM

How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria (30529 Views)

Novice Graphic Designer Makes Obituary Of Himself For Advert Purposes / How To Start Your Career In Information Technology / How To Start Your Career In Information Technology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by BiafranBushBoy: 12:51am On Feb 01, 2018
diamond88:

Iyana oworonshoki

Since you are in Lagos, you should visit http://topwritersden.com/best-training-institute-nigeria/

Read the review there.

Then proceed to register as fast as possible.
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by BiafranBushBoy: 12:52am On Feb 01, 2018
AnaCheks:
I really appreciate you all that took the time to contribute, answer and direct all of us here seeking for knowledge concerning IT. God bless you all abundantly

Thanks too. Do subscribe to my blog, and I will be guiding you on latest industry trends.

I created the thread.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by BiafranBushBoy: 12:53am On Feb 01, 2018
Oyedey4u:
If you've got data, I got an institutional login to lynda.com

you can take any Course like there...

hit me up for more information.

You can't spend half of your tuition fees on those courses.......

how much? I would love to inform my subscribers please.
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by airsaylongcon: 7:11am On Feb 01, 2018
AK481:

You are a monumental failure to yourself and your family.

This fool doesn't know how people battle with auto correct on their phone while typing.

I was
Born by a prostitute.

Fixed.
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by all4best(m): 8:29am On Feb 01, 2018
man I'm enjoying this... could you give me your contact so I can get in contact with you
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by pat077: 9:13am On Feb 01, 2018
PaulSimon2020:
Nice idea, anyone interested in software development should get in touch with me. I am willing to mentor two serious minded folks from Nairaland free of charge.
interested
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 9:41am On Feb 01, 2018
naso naso, see as u make as sound like say na cheese cake. Me sef dey find that vacancy to get hands on experience.
Trained in hardware (Comptia A+)
certified Cisco networking associate (score 950+).

Exam was cheap cake, after reading textbooks of over 4000pages for 5months,lool
If you need Ccna personal tutor, I can handle that too.

Na Ccnp get me now, by March I should have the ccnp route certificate. If you have even intern opening. abeg EPP ya Boi.
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Iggyok(m): 1:50pm On Feb 01, 2018
Best thread ever created
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by buccunmie(m): 4:08pm On Feb 01, 2018
chukzyfcbb:
naso naso, see as u make as sound like say na cheese cake. Me sef dey find that vacancy to get hands on experience.

Na Ccnp get me now, by March I should have the ccnp route certificate. If you have even intern opening. abeg EPP ya Boi.
Oga I'm about starting ccna training. I would appreciate if you can put me thru and also materials
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Bossman(m): 5:14pm On Feb 01, 2018
It will depend on what language you program in or choose to program in.

harzheez:
what cert should programmer go for??
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Bossman(m): 5:38pm On Feb 01, 2018
Guys - let's not deviate from the intentions of this thread. In general, it's safe to say that programming/software Development./Application Development/Web Application Developer are all used interchangeably. At least here in the US. I have been doing this for a very long time (mostly as a consultant/contractor and probably before some here started walking grin grin grin), and that has been my experience, as I move from one gig to another.

Awoleesu:
Now, I think I get your angle.
So, let's discuss like professionals: Programming is simply instructing the Device or application what to do. I trust you understand this.
Now, concerning job descriptions, I quite agree most posts go specific (and all are programmers). Without jerking much over this, I believe you'll agree with me that the broad spectra of IT departs @ Hardwares & Programming (Hence, Programming should be the parent while others her subsets) - Talkin Hands-on...
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:57pm On Feb 01, 2018
yunggeeben:

am interested sir
pat077:
interested

Send me pm.
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 6:59pm On Feb 01, 2018
buccunmie:

Oga I'm about starting ccna training. I would appreciate if you can put me thru and also materials
what's your number?
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:24pm On Feb 01, 2018
Bossman:
It will depend on what language you program in or choose to program in.

you mean every language has its own cert?
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by aliyuthayo(m): 7:30pm On Feb 01, 2018
Do you wish to own a career as an IT Networking and Security professional?
Get the experience and expertise you need for a rewarding career in Networking and Security.
Call/Chat:08039134906

Group Training Locations : Abuja, Kaduna, Ilorin
Certifications Vendor Training Programmes:
Cisco, Microsoft, CompTIA, EC-Council
Training Programmes include:
CCNA: R&S, SECURITY, DESIGN, INDUSTRIAL
CCNP R&S, SECURITY,
CCIE R&S
WINDOWS SERVER 2012, 2016
COMPTIA NETWORK+
COMPTIA SECURITY+
CEH, CHFI, CSCU

Pricing:
CCNA Batch/Group Training Fee: 30k

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Happyfellow147: 7:56pm On Feb 01, 2018
Please house, what IT package is suitable for an accountant? I mean how can I leverage on IT as an accountant apart from learning accounting software
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Bossman(m): 8:06pm On Feb 01, 2018
Yes. For example, Java has its own certifications. C/C++ will surely have their own. As mentioned already, certs alone may not cut it. You really have to know the material. I did not do my first cert until about 4 years into my programming career. I did the certs to learn and to further my career.

harzheez:
you mean every language has its own cert?

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by caywhy: 8:53pm On Feb 01, 2018
Please, for me to start a career and become a PROFESSIONAL in Networking, must I first posses a degree in the relevant field (like computer science)?
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by lovethchioma(f): 10:11pm On Feb 01, 2018
PaulSimon2020:
Nice idea, anyone interested in software development should get in touch with me. I am willing to mentor two serious minded folks from Nairaland free of charge.
I'm interested biko
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Mukah1234(m): 11:30pm On Feb 01, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

Brother am also interested in CCNA. Please how do I go about it?

My number is: 08155091608
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by enimooko: 12:40am On Feb 02, 2018
Does anyone know the relevance of The Computer Professional Examination and membership of the Nigeria Computer Society as to getting jobs or other carrier opportunities?
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by enimooko: 1:34am On Feb 02, 2018
AK481:
Get 2 certificate CCNA and MCSA.

This will show your employers the seriousness and passion in you to learn.

Don’t spend your money learning the skill in-depth,you can only learn better in a production environment,your employer will teach you before asking you to go to site.

PaulSimon2020:
BiafranBushBoy:

The truth is that even my firm here in Lagos hired a graphic designer, but it wasn't advertised. You need to have insiders in most firms, and they will help you.

Even as a freelancer, Graphics design is so lucrative.

Does anyone know the relevance of The Computer Professional Examination and membership of the Nigeria Computer Society as to getting jobs or other carrier opportunities?
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Happyfellow147: 5:34am On Feb 02, 2018
Please house, what IT package is suitable for an accountant? I mean how can I leverage on IT as an accountant apart from learning accounting software
Bossman:
Yes. For example, Java has its own certifications. C/C++ will surely have their own. As mentioned already, certs alone may not cut it. You really have to know the material. I did not do my first cert until about 4 years into my programming career. I did the certs to learn and to further my career.

Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Happyfellow147: 5:35am On Feb 02, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:
From whichever country you are reading from, I am about to show you the basic steps to start a career in information technology as a beginner or someone without experience. Information technology rules the world now, and it is one of the most exciting fields to start your career.
It is quite complex for beginners without the basic skills and understanding of how the sector works. This post is aimed at educating both beginners with the skills, and those who wish to start a career in technology without skills.

Here are basic steps to take if you intend to start a career in information technology as a beginner

Know the Sub-Sectors in Information Technology

This is the first thing you have to do if you wish to start a career in information technology. There are several subsectors in Information Technology such as;

-Programming
-Software Development
-Web Design/Development
-Mobile Application Development
-Networking/Server Administration
-Big Data
-Multimedia (Designs and Graphics)
-Cloud
-Hardware Engineering
-Security and several others that abound.

If you think you are proficient in any of the above sub-sectors, then you go ahead to identify how to harness your skills and put it into work.
For beginners without any skill set to function in any of the above sub-sectors, you should find which sub-sector interests you to make a career out of it.

Identify where you fit it

This is the hardest part of the whole steps. Figuring out where you would fit it might be one hell of a task. Most people dive into Information Technology as beginners due to several reasons which include but not limited to;

Passion
Getting a job
Making a fortune out of the career.
Whichever of the above might be your reason, then you should make some basic research to identify which sub-sector would help you achieve your purpose.
You should also understand that making a mistake while choosing your best-fit career in IT might ruin your plans. So it is best to find out where your strength lies.
These few tips would help you identify your strength;

1) Are you good with visuals and colours (You can deal with Multimedia, Graphics, and Designs)
2) Are you mathematically sound and can deal with codes, numbers? Do you pay attention to slightest details? (Programming, software development and mobile application development might suit you)
3) Are you good with your hands? Can you handle tools? Are you comfortable working with machines, hardware, and systems? (You can consider a career in networking, robotics, system Engineering, hardware Engineering, etc)

There are several other questions to consider, but I recommend you speak to an expert who will guide you while making such decisions. You can ask me via the comment section on the blog, and I will guide you through the right steps to take.

Go get the Skill

Knowing where to fit in isn’t enough if you intend to start a career in information technology with no experience. I assumed you’ve identified the right sector, now is the time to go learn the right skill that would put thousands of dollars in your pocket.

For people with no computer science background in college, you have an alternative means of learning any of these skills.
I suggest you locate any good information technology training institute in your city, register and start your studies. For those in Nigeria, I have given a sincere review of the best and cheapest training institute; you can do well to check it out.

The factors below should help you in choosing the right training school;

Infrastructure used in delivering training
Quality of facilitators
Pricing (You shouldn’t break the bank to gain ICT knowledge)
Reviews from past students (I already wrote about the best school I attended for those in Lagos)

Go for your Certifications

Getting the skill is basic while getting certified helps you become a master at your career. If you intend to work for someone or freelance, you would need to convince your clients easily with your certifications.
A certification adds basically nothing to your skills, but it presents you as a professional to either the hiring manager or your client. I would be writing about the various certifications that come with different information technology courses, so do well to get subscribe and receive it directly to your mailbox.
Getting certifications should be part of your plans if you intend to start a career in information technology as a beginner. There are free and paid certifications, but the paid ones speak volume most times.

Perfect your skills

Now you’ve gotten the necessary skill you need as an information technologist, you need to build up your portfolio and become perfect. Most times I do recommend you work as an intern (whether paid or not) to gain the experience needed as a novice.
There are several firms who are willing to give you a chance to work for them as an intern – paid or not.
Some training school like this one would give you the necessary links to firms who are willing to sign you up as an intern.

After the above steps, you can then decide to either work for a firm or become a freelance agent. To start a career in information technology as a novice might be quite difficult without guidance, and I will be willing to help answer any complex question you have.

To receive information like this most times, just visit the blog with the link below and subscribe. I would guide you all the way.

http://topwritersden.com/how-to-start-a-career-in-information-technology-for-beginners/
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Mickeywilliams(m): 6:27am On Feb 02, 2018
PaulSimon2020:

I'm interested sir.
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by BiafranBushBoy: 8:40am On Feb 02, 2018
enimooko:

Does it matter? I don't think so except it is a political position.
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by pat077: 9:43pm On Feb 03, 2018
PaulSimon2020:

Send me pm.
done that but I didn't get any reply from you
Re: How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:51am On Feb 04, 2018
pat077:
done that but I didn't get any reply from you
I have responded to you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Army releases promotion of Major-Generals, Brigadier Generals / Npower Resignation: Ex-volunteer Gets Call From Abuja, Share Testimony (story) / How Much Is Your Salary? How Many Months Salary Would Make Up Ur House Rent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.