Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,569 members, 7,816,401 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau (6826 Views)

PDP Has Raped Our Economy - Says Buhari / AIT Received N10 Billion For Damaging Documentaries / APC Gusau Rally LIVE - Holding In The Tick Of The Mid-night - See Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Ibime(m): 6:38pm On Apr 19, 2010
Story, story, story. . . . . . . I guess Mr Gusau is more knowledgeable than Okonjo-Iweala. . . omo needs to concentrate on Jos Crisis and the Al-Qaeda in our midst and stop commenting on subjects on which he has no more than an elementary education. . . . if Govt has lost faith in the reforms, its very easy to sack SLS, not all this one that people are hoping that any comment from any Minister signifies loss of confidence. . . .

If we even look at the premise of Mr Gusau's argument, its faulty. . . . the premise that some should not be penalised for what everybody was doing has no legal standing. . . . a thief in a nation of thieves is still a thief. . . 

Mr Gasau should please tell us if by contraction in the economy, he means GDP or stockmarket. . . . cos both of em are on the up. . . . the word "economy" is overused these days. . . .
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by naijaking1: 6:43pm On Apr 19, 2010
^^^^^
You still dey talk
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by PapaBrowne(m): 7:29pm On Apr 19, 2010
Hey people, lets not miss the context in which Gusau spoke. Gusau is in this meeting with the New ministers explaining to them what can constitute a security threat to the nations intergrity.He is trying to bring it to them that actions they take without considering the implications can breach the security of this country. He sighted a lot of examples, but one was outstanding.

He sighted Sanusi's damaging act on the nation's economy as one constituting a breach of security. And I totally agree with him.
He is not speaking from an economic standpoint, so lets not argue economics. He is speaking from a security standpoint.

If you read the article properly, you'd notice he mentioned specifically the fact that only eight banks were punished for acts that were committed by virtually all the existing banks.
There are many things we laymen don't know about. All our info comes from the press. Gusau on the other hand is a security expert per excellence and he has info on virtually all the important things that happen in Nigeria.

One thing I can state(don't ask me how I know) is that before the appointment of Sanusi, meetings were held and some of those meetings also involved foreigners and things discussed at some of those meetings included how to take over the Nigerian Banking sector. One of the decisions reached  was to take advantage of the economic crisis 2 cause choas in the banking sector. With the fabricated chaos in the sector, the battered banks would be ripe for government  bailouts after which the assest would be sold off to the executors at giveaway prices.

Obviously, the Vanguard reported just little snippets form that meeting. Sanusi has followed this agenda since he took over the CBN.

Sanusi copnspired with both NIgerians and foreigners to damage the nations's economy, just to fulfill their own religious agenda.Now tell me, if an act of this nature doesn't constitute a beach to the nation's security, what does?? Sanusi should be tied to a stake a shot for this treasonable act!
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Dominoifet(m): 8:06pm On Apr 19, 2010
Real-time management is more than swinging into action without first enumerating the ripple-effect of ur actions.

Sanusi didn't get it right at all, he came in galloping on his new found donkey like a happy horse shiit.

Soludo saw all these Sanusis assumed collapse of bank and economy.

In summary Sanusi is intelligent, but Soludo is wise.

By wisdom a house is built and established, but by foolishness and gra gra it is destroyed.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by naijaking1: 8:46pm On Apr 19, 2010
PapaBrowne:

Hey people, lets not miss the context in which Gusau spoke. Gusau is in this meeting with the New ministers explaining to them what can constitute a security threat to the nations intergrity.He is trying to bring it to them that actions they take without considering the implications can breach the security of this country. He sighted a lot of examples, but one was outstanding.

He sighted Sanusi's damaging act on the nation's economy as one constituting a breach of security. And I totally agree with him.
He is not speaking from an economic standpoint, so lets not argue economics. He is speaking from a security standpoint.

If you read the article properly, you'd notice he mentioned specifically the fact that only eight banks were punished for acts that were committed by virtually all the existing banks.
There are many things we laymen don't know about. All our info comes from the press. Gusau on the other hand is a security expert per excellence and he has info on virtually all the important things that happen in Nigeria.

One thing I can state(don't ask me how I know) is that before the appointment of Sanusi, meetings were held and some of those meetings also involved foreigners and things discussed at some of those meetings included how to take over the Nigerian Banking sector. One of the decisions reached was to take advantage of the economic crisis 2 cause choas in the banking sector. With the fabricated chaos in the sector, the battered banks would be ripe for government bailouts after which the assest would be sold off to the executors at giveaway prices.

Obviously, the Vanguard reported just little snippets form that meeting. Sanusi has followed this agenda since he took over the CBN.

Sanusi copnspired with both NIgerians and foreigners to damage the nations's economy, just to fulfill their own religious agenda.Now tell me, if an act of this nature doesn't constitute a beach to the nation's security, what does?? Sanusi should be tied to a stake a shot for this treasonable act!

Thanks for your steadfast understanding and support in the enlighteningment of Nigerians about the dangers of Sanusi. His days are most likely numbered, because in addition to the NSA review, the Min. of state for Finance has also raised issues with the mallam, demanding a blue print of his actions.
Apart from paid agents of Sanusi, ethnic jingoists, and religious bigots, no other Nigerian supports the man or his actions.
Like you rightly said, if massive unemployment, inability of the banks to properly function because of over-regulation or crazy regulations, and imminent collapse of the banking sector is not a security issue, then what is

Security issues are not just "junior army officers" planning and executing coups you know cool

Most importantly, if all the banks were operating in the said manner, and only 8 were punished, it is then obvious that Sanusi went after his own personal enemies, at the risk of our country's financial health.

I beg tighten the rope around his neck a little more lipsrsealed
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by paddylo1(m): 9:05pm On Apr 19, 2010
I beg tighten the rope around his neck a little more

Sanusi has to be curbed, and curbed big time. . .
Unfortunately he cannot be removed as the CBN act allows him some form of autonomy
but at least he now knows the eyes of Nigerians are on him. . .

If it is true he connived with some foriegners to damage our banking sector then he has to resign immediately
or be advised to resign. . .
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by 4Play(m): 9:15pm On Apr 19, 2010
What is this plonker doing commenting on Central Bank policy? That will be like Gen Jones, US National Security Adviser, postulating publicly about Ben Bernanke. I suppose given how much these generals have looted, he is probably a business mogul with major interests in some of these banks .
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Ibime(m): 9:41pm On Apr 19, 2010
So now its a security issue. . . . hehehehe. . . . things get more obscene by the minute in the jungle we call Nigeria. . . .
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 19, 2010
who says economic security is not a National Security Issue?

The activities of Government Agencies are intertwined.

Whether Gusau should have commented publicly is a different matter but if Gusau does not comment who will?

Government has lost faith in Sanusi he should resign.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by naijaking1: 9:51pm On Apr 19, 2010
Ibime:

So now its a security issue. . . . hehehehe. . . . things get more obscene by the minute in the jungle we call Nigeria. . . .

Banking crises, high unemployment, unfriendly business environment are all security issues, because they lead to mass dissatisfaction. If you don't understand this simple sociological connection, then it shows a limited fund of knowdge; just go buy a small book on sociology. The NSA doesn't have his international reputation for nothing.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Ibime(m): 10:30pm On Apr 19, 2010
^^^But Papabrowne tells me its not an economic issue. . . according to him, its a security issue. . . .any attempt to link the two first requires one to prove that the economy is in decline. . . . thats why Im asking if Gusau came to his conclusion by GDP figures or by NSE performance.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by 4Play(m): 10:33pm On Apr 19, 2010
By the same absurd logic, national security affects the economy. If the likes of Gusau helped restore law and order to the country, the economy will be better. Therefore, Sanusi will be at liberty to tell off Gusau for not doing his job properly.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Nobody: 10:41pm On Apr 19, 2010
Ibime:

^^^But Papabrowne tells me its not an economic issue. . . according to him, its a security issue. . . .any attempt to link the two first requires one to prove that the economy is in decline. . . . thats why Im asking if Gusau came to his conclusion by GDP figures or by NSE performance.

You don't know that there has been a massive loss of job as a result of Sanusi's policies?

You don't know that there has been a decline in Banks lending to real sector of economy hence slowing the economy.

You don't know that Nigeria's line of credit abroad are now treated with suspicion?

if these are not signs of an economy in decline then what is?
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Ibime(m): 10:56pm On Apr 19, 2010
Lets assume that all the above is correct, and is all SLS' fault (regardless that these scenarios have always played out historically after a period of irrational exuberance). . . . what I wanna know is how does the addition of say 30,000 people to an unemployed pool of 50 million significantly deteriorate the security situation?
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Nobody: 11:01pm On Apr 19, 2010
OK your logic is that because we have 50 million unemployed then Sanusi is allowed to create another 50million job losses before he is called to order? That makes a lot of sense.

But the good news is that we are seeing the begining of the end of DOOM AND GLOOM ECONOMICS.

If Sanusi has any integrity he will resign within 48hrs, Government has lost confidence in his abilities.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Ibime(m): 11:08pm On Apr 19, 2010
mikeansy:

OK your logic is that because we have 50 million unemployed then Sanusi is allowed to create another 50million job losses before he is called to order? That makes a lot of sense.

But the good news is that we are seeing the begining of the end of DOOM AND GLOOM ECONOMICS.

If Sanusi has any integrity he will resign within 48hrs, Government has lost confidence in his abilities.

Nah, my argument is not about Sanusi otherwise I would have tackled your points head on. . . . my argument is about Gusau. . . . lets assume that Sanusi is at fault for overleveraged banks having to downsize as you would have us believe. . . . lets also assume that 20,000 have lost jobs in the banking industry, as compared to an unemployment figure of lets say 50 million. . . . I am still wondering how that affects Gusau vis-a-vis security issue. . . .I am hoping that someone can rationalise the statement from our [i]National Security Advisor [/i]for me.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by OAM4J: 12:02am On Apr 20, 2010
Those 20,000 people who just lost their jobs are additional threat to National security.

Dont forget that their job loss has a ripple effect on their family.

The earlier the trend is curb, the better.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Beaf: 12:07am On Apr 20, 2010
Now that Sanusi has been positively identified as a security risk, should he be given a taste of his own wacky dreams and tied to a drum on bar beach for gruesome target practise? grin grin grin
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Nobody: 12:13am On Apr 20, 2010
Beaf:

Now that Sanusi has been positively identified as a security risk, should he be given a taste of his own wacky dreams and tied to a drum on bar beach for gruesome target practise? grin grin grin

LOL

we will give him the dignifying mercy he did not wish to afford others by asking him to resign.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by naijaking1: 1:27am On Apr 20, 2010
Ibime:

Lets assume that all the above is correct, and is all SLS' fault (regardless that these scenarios have always played out historically after a period of irrational exuberance). . . . what I wanna know is how does the addition of say 30,000 people to an unemployed pool of 50 million significantly deteriorate the security situation?

Please tell me you're kidding angry
With your Ph.D in economics, you still don't know the multiplicative effect of firing 30,000 people in any society
Or, you just want to turn your whole understanding on its head so that you can conform to your previous questionable support for Sanusi lipsrsealed
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by naijaking1: 1:46am On Apr 20, 2010
http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46199:cbn-reforms-in-a-slow-motion-&catid=113:money-market&Itemid=711

[size=18pt]CBN reforms in a slow motion?[/size] .
Monday, 19 April 2010 00:00 Babatope Okeowo

The appointment of a new Minister of Finance, Mr. Olusegun Aganga, may have slow down the Central Bank of Nigeria’s banking reforms as the CBN seems to be weighing the interest of the Dr. Goodluck Jonathan’s administration. BABATUNDE OKE writes.

Just like in other sectors where activities have been put on hold for operators to know the political direction the next finance sector, especially the banking sub sector is not left out.

Since the assumption into office of the Acting President, Dr Goodluck Jonathan and the new Minister of Finance, Olusegun Aganga, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has been cautious in carrying out its planned reforms, which have been causing uproar in the industry.

Before the appointment of the new minister, the CBN Governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, was pursuing the reforms at a fast pace that threw many operators including the shareholders off balance. Initially, the apex bank was implementing the reforms without any input from other stakeholders and relevant government agencies.

One major aspect of the reforms is the plan by the regulator to ensure that new core investors take over the banks. In its efforts to find investors for the banks, CBN embarked on road shows in the United Kingdom (UK) and put machinery in place to attract foreign and local investors that will take over the banks.
In addition, the regulator planned to establish the Assets Management Company (AMCON) to manage the assets of the eight troubled banks.

A top management staff of one of the affected banks who spoke anonymously explained that since the banks had started making profit after the crisis and since the seized assets from the former management teams and debtors of the banks were not returned to them, there may not be need for the CBN to sell the banks as a way of recapitalizing them.

He stressed: “If banks are making profit and AMCON is to acquire the toxic assets, do you still need to sell the banks again? There is no logic in the argument of selling the banks now. If the CBN can return all those seized assets and also count on the banks to do credible businesses that will generate profits by allowing their management free hands, then the banks may not even need any core investors.”

A financial analyst with BGL Securities, said that the testimony of the Acting President, Dr Goodluck Jonathan to do things the right way might have necessitated the cautious steps of the CBN.

He noted that the two ministers manning the finance ministry, Aganga and Mr. Remi Babalola, were seasoned professionals, who have international reputation in the global private sector practice.

He explained that they would like to follow due diligence in their activities in the finance sector of the economy.

He said: “Aganga is a professional, who will not like to adopt a kangaroo system in implementing even a good reform. Like we have been saying before, the [size=14pt]CBN has a very good intention in putting in place the reforms, but the mode of implementing it is bad[/size]. The negative implication is still hovering in the financial system as no bank is ready to lend as a result of fear of what may lead to.

“Babalola had before now asked for the blueprint of the reforms when it was discovered that the CBN was just carrying out the reforms without backing it with any document. If the governor just wakes up that this is the next thing to do, it just start without considering the long term effect on the economy. No blue print for the reforms before now.

“Obviously, the music has changed because Yar’adua is now out of the picture and Jonathan is bent on doing it right. That informed the adoption of Aganga and Babalola and the sudden romance with World Bank.”

Another analyst, Mr. John Idehen, alleged that since the CBN discovered that President Yar’Adua ailment was becoming serious and considering the uproar that greeted the reforms by other stakeholders, it has changed its tactics.

He said: “Sanusi at first did not want to involve the shareholders or any stakeholders, but due to the uproar, the CBN called the shareholders to a meeting in Abuja and started involving them even if not fully but partially in the reform process.

“There are so many words that have emanated from the CBN since the beginning of the reforms. At times, we hear of outright sale, later it changed to nationalization and now we are hearing about recapitalisation. The governor at a time seems to have lost control of the reforms because of lack of bearing as various programmes are introduced at any time depending on the mind of the regulator.

“If not for the situation of the country, CBN would have sold the banks. But thanks to the enlightened mind of Nigerians (like Papabrowne, Paddy lo, Beaf, Sapeleguy, etc) coupled with the ailment of President Yar’Adua and the change of baton. At least there are some changes now.

“CBN must send the right signal to both shareholders and investors but not the conflicting signals it had been sending before now.”

Another top management staff of one of the eight banks said that the CBN had left the process of looking for the core investors to the managements of the banks, adding that the discussions were at a high level as to the issue of investing in the banks.

“The managements were appointed with the mandate to stabilise and recapitalise the banks by looking for investors on their own to have majority stakes in the banks. I can tell you that without the bailout by the CBN, some of the banks would have close shops or be liquidated. But even as it is now, they cannot do big business due to low capital base. But the issue might have been affected by the change of baton in the leadership of the ministry of finance,” he said.

President of the Association of Senior Staff of Banks, Insurance and other Financial Institutions (ASSBIFI), Comrade Adesina Sanni, said that it was normal for the CBN to be cautious due to the change in baton. He, however advised the new minister to work in tandem with the CBN governor to grow the nation’s economy.

The unionist said that the minister should look at the good side of the reforms and capitalize on it and work in collaboration with the CBN governor to pursue it to logical conclusion.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Ibime(m): 3:33am On Apr 20, 2010
naijaking1:

Please tell me you're kidding angry
With your Ph.D in economics, you still don't know the multiplicative effect of firing 30,000 people in any society
Or, you just want to turn your whole understanding on its head so that you can conform to your previous questionable support for Sanusi lipsrsealed

Really? It must feel like the GREAT DEPRESSION in Nigeria right now with this surge in unemployment figures. . . . you better lock your gates cos all these laid off bankers and their dependents are liable to scale your fence at any moment. . . the National Security threat must have changed from Yellow Flag to Red Flag indicating TERROR THREAT, now that 0.001% has been added to unemployment statistics. . . . it is certainly a pressing issue for our National Security Adviser right now, just like National Security Advisers the world over are gnashing their teeth at worldwide redundancies.  grin grin grin

BTW, Sanusi sacked all the bank workers, Im sure.  tongue

naijaking1:

A top management staff of one of the affected banks who spoke anonymously explained that since the banks had started making profit after the crisis and since the seized assets from the former management teams and debtors of the banks were not returned to them, there may not be need for the CBN to sell the banks as a way of recapitalizing them.

He stressed: “If banks are making profit and AMCON is to acquire the toxic assets, do you still need to sell the banks again? There is no logic in the argument of selling the banks now. If the CBN can return all those seized assets and also count on the banks to do credible businesses that will generate profits by allowing their management free hands, then the banks may not even need any core investors.”

I can tell you that without the bailout by the CBN, some of the banks would have close shops or be liquidated.

The unionist said that the minister should look at the good side of the reforms and capitalize on it and work in collaboration with the CBN governor to pursue it to logical conclusion.

I thought Sanusi had crippled the banks and the economy? Just 6 months later, they're all profitable, NSE has climbed 36% this year alone. . . . I am waiting to see the impending catastrophe materialise.

It is the same way you lot came shouting about "stone-age practices" when CBN published debtor list, oblivious to the fact that Access bank had already named their debtors, and the other 4 had already taken advertorials begging Yaradua to "deal with the cabal" who had refused to service their loans. By same token, also oblivious to the fact that publishing loan defaulter lists is commonplace in similar economies like Bangladesh, India, Pakistan.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by naijaking1: 4:02am On Apr 20, 2010
^^^
All of a sudden we're trying to be like Bangla----dey--what
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by Ibime(m): 4:11am On Apr 20, 2010
^^^ Dont worry, you can do different after you have set up a credit rating system, or when your banks start collaterising their debts.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by princekevo(m): 5:33am On Apr 20, 2010
“Babalola had before now asked for the blueprint of the reforms when it was discovered that the CBN was just carrying out the reforms without backing it with any document. If the governor just wakes up that this is the next thing to do, it just start without considering the long term effect on the economy. No blue print for the reforms before now.

If this man fail to provide the blue print for all these acts, he should be charged with treason. We are no more in military era where someone jst wake up in the morning and start breaking a house in the name rebuilding without an architectural plan.
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by tkb417(m): 8:30am On Apr 20, 2010
The bold is exactly the problem and the reason for the no confidence vote.

He is fighting a good fight, but not in the best possible way.

the increase unemployment and lack of credit for businesses to thrive that his methods created is a big blow to the economy

hold on there bro
in economics, what is happening is called fiscal policy conflict

in order to engender growth, somthn has to give. Read up on how the developed countries created wealth after recesssions
Liquidity squeeze and downsizing would be the norm

Did you say lack of credit in the banks? have you seen their balance sheet lately? do you know these banks are living on borrowed money from CBN? so they shd go on lending when they havent recovered the bad loans
chei, u cant even manage a poultry from the way ure speaking
its a good thing to be a critic but not when you dont know wassup
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by tkb417(m): 8:34am On Apr 20, 2010
Ibime:

Story, story, story. . . . . . . I guess Mr Gusau is more knowledgeable than Okonjo-Iweala. . . omo needs to concentrate on Jos Crisis and the Al-Qaeda in our midst and stop commenting on subjects on which he has no more than an elementary education. . . . if Govt has lost faith in the reforms, its very easy to sack SLS, not all this one that people are hoping that any comment from any Minister signifies loss of confidence. . . .

If we even look at the premise of Mr Gusau's argument, its faulty. . . . the premise that some should not be penalised for what everybody was doing has no legal standing. . . . a thief in a nation of thieves is still a thief. . .

Mr Gasau should please tell us if by contraction in the economy, he means GDP or stockmarket. . . . cos both of em are on the up. . . . the word "economy" is overused these days. . . .

I dont understand what the loss in confidence means
its a total disgrace from someone like that
if his approaches are wrong, how will Gusau know? does he know the difference between GDP and GNP?
this is a total disgrace!!!!
LOL
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by tkb417(m): 8:37am On Apr 20, 2010
Ibime:

Loss in confidence = inability to launder money = national security issue

Dude doesnt know how to curb the violence in Jos, but knows when the economy is not growing
i dont think hes medically ok
LOL
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by tkb417(m): 8:47am On Apr 20, 2010
mikeansy:

You don't know that there has been a massive loss of job as a result of Sanusi's policies?

You don't know that there has been a decline in Banks lending to real sector of economy hence slowing the economy.

You don't know that Nigeria's line of credit abroad are now treated with suspicion?

if these are not signs of an economy in decline then what is?
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

U dont say? Give me facts or i subject you to online ridicule

and how do u want banks thathave set targets to recover loans to give out loans again
You want them to lose money? did u hear about the credit bureau system directive by the CBN?
that Banks shdnt lend until 2 credit bureau agencies give them the go ahead. did you hear that?
and is it about giving money out to turn bad or giving money out to create wealth  for both the banks and the customers? which one is the motive for lending o mr banker?

and how do u expect a capitalist to lend to the real sector in Nigeria? even b4 sanusis era, the real sector has been crying foul. so what is your point?
if the real sector wants money, i guess they shd tell Gusau to tell Mr President to build roads, give energy and other Social overhead capitals cos no banker will give money for you to go and build power stations/buy heavy duty Generators.

Maybe you shd take a stroll to these companies in Agbara and tell me how how a bank will give money to a company with 2% EBITDA margin
are you for real? how will the bank get back their money?

abeggi, make we hear word
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by tkb417(m): 9:02am On Apr 20, 2010

I can tell you that without the bailout by the CBN, some of the banks would have close shops or be liquidated.

Ibime, who posted this?

lets assume, the unemployed grew by 30,000 and no customer has lost his/her deposit (Option A)

(Option b) 5-6 banks collapse and more than 100,000 staff got laid off cos the banks got liquidiated and billions of Naira lost in the trapped banks

i guess Option B is what most people here are clamouring for?

all these arm chair analysts wey cheat to pass JAMB coming here to chat opaks
na God go forgive una
Re: CBN Intervention Damaging Economy, Says Gusau by FrankC3: 10:30am On Apr 20, 2010
Nigerians are expressing concern over the near comatose economy typified by scarcity of cash in the system. The situation, according to BusinessDay investigations, is having spiral effects on households which have resorted to holding on to the little cash they have, while some companies have continued to embark on cost cutting measures.

In fact, further investigations have revealed that uncertainty in the system is responsible for the continued withholding of cash by Nigerians with the resultant effect of high level of credit defaults, both at individual and corporate levels. Curiously, Nigerians have been told that the economy is experiencing excess liquidity, heightening the questions over the indices relevant agencies use in gauging the economy.

The claim of excess liquidity comes at a time that warehouses of manufacturers are filled with inventories of unsold goods, further debunking the veracity of the data used in arriving at the excess liquidity conclusion. Indeed, Nigerian Interbank (NIBOR) offered rates, average interbank rates for all the banks operating in the local market, have ebbed to all time low at about two percent as against 17 percent previously.

But even at that, banks have continued to be[i] risk averse[/i] considering the fact that most of them are paying heavily through high provisioning [/i]with the consequent depleting of profits.

But analysts have warned that unless urgent steps are taken to correct the present anomaly, [i]the economy might once again experience asset bubbles reminiscent of the last episode
which led to the crisis in the capital market and the margin loan issue. The attendant over exposures to energy and telecommunications sectors resulted in the take over of some banks by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). To some of them, the current easing of interest and inflation rates, as a result of the perceived excess liquidity have not translated to improved living conditions of Nigerians, but rather heightened the uncertainty in the polity. They further observed that the immediate consequence might be recourse to investments in equities and debt instruments.
For instance, since the commencement of banking sector reforms, there has been series of bail out funds such as the N620 billion for the distressed banks, excess crude payments to the three tiers of government of N460 billion and N400 billion in the first quarter of this year and the last quarter of last year, respectively. Other actions that have impacted on the liquidity situation include winding down of credit portfolios in the first quarter of last year and first quarter of this year, aggressive issuance of bonds and treasury bills in the first quarter of this year and the passage of the Asset Management Corporation Bill, for which its implementation might add pressure on the liquidity and consequently the rates.

Martin Oluba, president/CEO, ValueFronteira Limited, warned of the likely asset bubble considering the current rush for investment in financial instruments. Oluba, an analyst, said with less economic activity and high levels of uncertainty both current income and future income prospects are threatened, adding that "households naturally exhibit high levels of caution in this respect by clinging to what they have now. For many, the income is simply not coming because of significant drop in the activity levels and therefore they cannot repay their debts."

Continuing, he said: "We are experiencing a mild liquidity bubble. That is a situation where increasing excess liquidity does not positively impact the real economy. The monies are not lent to the investing or business community. A close situation would be the Japanese experience of 1997 which following its massive crisis, banks were less willing to extend credit in spite of resurging liquidity situation aimed at bailing them out. "In our own case, a major underlying reason is the uncertainty over the economy and the financial system which urgently needs to diminish so that banks' lending frigidity can be minimised while expanded credit availability can resume.”

"On one hand, Lamido Sanusi, CBN governor's reform programmes which appear to be uncoordinated is the major culprit in this respect. The manner in which the reform programmes are being released in piecemeal fashion makes it difficult to predict what the next move by the central bank can possibly be.

"This is a major causal factor irrespective of the drop in the rates. And let us watch it! These excess funds are slowly finding their way into the stock exchange and gradually pressuring the prices upwards", Oluba warned. Akinsowon Dawodu, president, Financial Markets Dealers Association, said banks' actions may be based on their past experience, acknowledging that recent injections have made liquidity to be at aggregate level. He is optimistic that the second half of this year will experience improvement, saying that the current low exchange rates are not sustainable for the economy.

Analysts at BGL, in their current banking report said: "While it is agreed that banks in Nigeria need to start lending again, the approach to doing this is still a contentious issue. Some analysts suggest that government should take up equity first and then buy toxic assets from the banks, while others propose only the buying of toxic assets through the proposed Asset Management Corporation (AMC). Each of the approaches has issues that need to be addressed."

http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10247:nigerians-bemoan-worsening-living-condition&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18

Now, i am expecting Sanusi worshipers to tell us how unqualified Business Day is to comment on the issue at hand or even connect the vested interest they have in 'technically insolvent' banks(Sanusi's words) to discredit the report.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria Deports 115 Illegal Aliens / Breaking: The Man Behind MEND, Avengers And JNDLF Revealed / Long Journey And Side Attractions To 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.