Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,820 members, 7,810,148 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:45 PM

Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? (19393 Views)

Three Categories Of "Atheists" On Nairaland: we were/are right. / A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland / Atheists On Nairaland Plagiarize The Work Of Foreigners On Online Forums. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by hopefulLandlord: 9:01pm On Feb 05, 2018
Ronpet777:

Well spoken... But a question to u now is which is ur belief. Can u kindly convince me to share ur belief? How did the world come to exist and mankind itself?
I don't do this to make people share my belief, that would be frustrating; I simply do this so people can question dogmas

We don't know yet the answers to your questions (that's even assuming your question is valid)
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by hopefulLandlord: 9:02pm On Feb 05, 2018
Ronpet777:

Which I'm particular?

Check my first post on this thread
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 9:02pm On Feb 05, 2018
GloryIsaac:
It's simply because the owner is an atheist cheesy.

Just like,

Fulani President = Fulanis get to have fun and express themselves in anyway they seem fit, also bold enough to challenge any opposition.

Atheist NL Owner = Atheist finally get to have fun without much fear of backlash and are bold enough to drag it out with any opposition.

Simple logic wink, Imagine if S..eun was an open supporter of the LGBT community cheesy, you'll be amazed at what you might see here grin grin

Only difference is that Atheists are winning more converts here whereas you can't switch your roots to Fulani if you weren't born into one, at best, servant. lipsrsealed

Cc Ronpet777
Hahahahaha! Finally getting answers to my questions. It is getting obvious what d major ideological belief is,but how sure are u that the 'owner' of NL is an Atheist?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Blakjewelry(m): 9:26pm On Feb 05, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

I respect the believer but NOT the belief, people make the mistake of thinking both are the same but they're actually very different

The religious have a hard time separating themselves from their beliefs. To them, their beliefs are a part of them, and any criticism or attack on their beliefs is an attack on them. Many of them have been indoctrinated from a young age, not only with their beliefs, but also to be wary of anyone who would try to convince them to abandon their beliefs or even critically analyze them

I expect people to not only question my beliefs, but ridicule them when they're ridiculous. Someone who lets me keep believing the moon is made of green cheese isn't doing me any favors at all.
Imagine I tell you that I believe in Blue Space Monkeys who rule the universe, and they will cause humanity great harm, unless you give me all your money, no questions asked. Would you say Ok, I respect your beliefs?

The bottom line is that I am obligated to respect the right of everyone to hold an opinion different from my own. This I do very diligently. I am not, however, obligated to respect the opinion itself and am also free to criticize anything proposed in the arena of ideas.
I get your point but we all have been through that road at one time so I believe you are the one who is supposed to be more understanding , when I was a believer I even promised myself never to turn back but what set me apart is my hunger for knowledge, with that I realized that it will hard for well read individual to be a religious person.

But certain of this attacking their religion will only put them in a defensive mood, and when emotions are involved reasons are thrown out of the window

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by segunojo866: 9:34pm On Feb 05, 2018
Ronpet777:

Hahahahaha! Finally getting answers to my questions. D majority religion orientation is obvious,but how sure are u that the 'owner' of NL is an Atheist?
Am out of nairaland
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by segunojo866: 9:37pm On Feb 05, 2018
Blakjewelry:

I get your point but we all have been through that road at one time so I believe you are the one who is supposed to be more understanding , when I was a believer I even promised myself never to turn back but what set me apart is my hunger for knowledge, with that I realized that it will hard for well read individual to be a religious person.

But certain of this attacking their religion will only put them in a defensive mood, and when emotions are involved reasons are thrown out of the window
I became wise as an atheist
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by segunojo866: 9:41pm On Feb 05, 2018
Ronpet777:
Never in my life hv I seen a collection of people who so vehemently resist any comment that ascribe glory and praise to God until I joined NL. I used to believe d idea was completely foreign until I joined Nairaland and realised they almost outnumber we the believers in God the creator of all.
I am not creating this to oppose such thought process which I felt was just theoretical as I knw science tend to call anything they don't have proof of Mythical.
But for an African person who has probably heard from reliable sources things that happen in the spiritual and the existence of God who does things when his followers call him in whichever name they knw him as, to still believe there is no God, goes far beyond me.
Cud there be any special reasons why so many Nairalanders are Atheist who hv no affiliation to religion and doubt the existence of God?
cc : Lalasticlala
Lolz. Christainity was forced on us by the westerners just like the way Muammar al Gaddafi was killed by the same westerners intervention. If am to be religious I'll practice an African traditional religion.

2 Likes

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by segunojo866: 9:43pm On Feb 05, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

I don't do this to make people share my belief, that would be frustrating; I simply do this so people can question dogmas

We don't know yet the answers to your questions (that's even assuming your question is valid)
the believe of a personal god is meant for people that refuse to think outside the box. Up atheism

3 Likes

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by segunojo866: 9:45pm On Feb 05, 2018
Ronpet777:

Isn't it obvious enough Hv u really thought abt d beginning of all things Do u really mean u haven't seen things happen in the name of God that will naturally never happen
Lolz. Statistics show that religion has caused more demage than good. So your point is baseless

2 Likes

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 9:59pm On Feb 05, 2018
segunojo866:
Lolz. Statistics show that religion has caused more demage than good. So your point is baseless
And does that sound logical? The fact that many religious beliefs exist and with various orientations does that mean every single one is evil? Isn't that hasty generalisation? They don't preach d same doctrine and shld not be condemned collectively. Just as not all Atheist hv the same ideology.

2 Likes

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 10:07pm On Feb 05, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
I'm an atheist because when it comes to scrutinising a claim, one should start with the null hypothesis then arrive at a reasonable conclusion after examining evidences

I believe there is no god because the null hypothesis starts me from there, and it's up to believers to demonstrate that their god proposition is true.

When anybody can:
1. Provide a coherent definition of what they mean by "god"

2. Provide empirically testable predictions of that god, and show that these predictions are true

3. Show that this god is more parsimonious than all other natural explanations

I'll (at least tentatively) accept that a god exists. So far, none of these requirements have come anywhere close to being met, and I can reasonably assert that the proposition of a god existing is likely false.
Not every belief can pass through ur tests. Just as you don't hv a scientific undertone to every occurrence on earth. The world we live in is full of different phenomenons. Those scientists can prove, and those they can't. The ones they can prove they call facts,the ones they can't they call myths. Scientists and theorists are limited themselves in their understanding of the world and cover up by leaving questions such as urs to prove phenomenons beyond them.

5 Likes

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by godisgood200: 10:32pm On Feb 05, 2018
Colleverage:
angry ask your ole pastors
So the pastors turned you to an atheists?
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by bloodofthelamb(m): 11:02pm On Feb 05, 2018
Ronpet777:

Not every belief can pass through ur tests. Just as you don't hv a scientific undertone to every occurrence on earth. The world we live in is full of different phenomenon. Those scientists can prove, and those they can't. The ones they can prove they call fact, the ones can't they call myth. Scientists and theorists are limited themselves in their understanding of the world and cover up by leaving questions such as urs to prove phenomenon beyond them.

Bravo!

Atheist don't really know that where their scientific and logical wisdom ends that is really where our wisdom began.

Supernatural Wisdom in CHRIST.

Hahaha! laughing in the HOLY SPIRIT.

2 Likes

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 11:04pm On Feb 05, 2018
godisgood200:
So the pastors turned you to an atheists?
Help me ask am o

1 Like

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 11:08pm On Feb 05, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

Bravo!

Atheist don't really know that where their scientific and logical wisdom ends that is really where our wisdom began.

Where hv pple like u been that these guys were all over me?
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Nobody: 12:35am On Feb 06, 2018
Ronpet777:

Hahahahaha! Finally getting answers to my questions. D majority religion orientation is obvious,but how sure are u that the 'owner' of NL is an Atheist?

Dude doesn't hide it undecided... Almost 90% of his posts is focused on terrorizing enlightening Christians lipsrsealed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 5:32am On Feb 06, 2018
GloryIsaac:

Dude doesn't hide it undecided... Almost 90% of his posts is focused on terrorizing enlightening Christians lipsrsealed

Hmmmmmm! I see.
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ericsunday619: 12:16pm On Feb 06, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

Bravo!

hahahahahaha

laughing in the dead spirit of a carpenter

1 Like

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by OtemAtum: 1:38pm On Feb 06, 2018
Ronpet777:
Never in my life hv I seen a collection of people who so vehemently resist any comment that ascribe glory and praise to God until I joined NL. I used to believe d idea was completely foreign until I joined Nairaland and realised they almost outnumber we the believers in God the creator of all.
I am not creating this to oppose such thought process which I felt was just theoretical as I knw science tend to call anything they don't have proof of Mythical.
But for an African person who has probably heard from reliable sources things that happen in the spiritual and the existence of God who does things when his followers call him in whichever name they knw him as, to still believe there is no God, goes far beyond me.
Cud there be any special reasons why so many Nairalanders are Atheist who hv no affiliation to religion and doubt the existence of God?
cc : Lalasticlala
Atheism comes at a stage when people are getting to realise the folly of their beliefs. People tend to become atheists when they discover that what they have spent their lifetime believing is buried in falsehood and deceit. It is like realising that a bottle which you believe to be containing water is actually containing poison. You pour the poison away and then start afresh.
Atheism is a starting point. It is somehow positive because now you learn things logically and not through brainwashing. It is simply a disbelief in all the 4,200+ known gods(deities) while theism is the belief in 1 out of the 4,200 gods.
For example, you Op, you are different from all the atheists by your belief in Yahweh while you disbelieve the other 4,199 brothers and sisters of Yahweh. So the difference between you and an atheist is Yahweh.

In a nutshell, atheism is common here because people tend to learn and unlearn. They tend to learn that God cannot be a talkative as presented in all religious books, so they are fully convinced that people like Allah, Yahweh, etc you guys worship cannot actually be qualified to be called GOD ALMIGHTY and I agree with them, even though I am not an atheist.

The truth of the matter is that EXISTENCE is not created by anyone and it is the most qualified thing to be called GOD. Existence gave birth to all these beings you humans deify, so EXISTENCE is GOD.

I am a part of existence, so I am a god.
Yahweh is a part of existence, so he is a god.
Olorun is a part of existence, so he is a god.
Osun is a part of existence, so she is a goddess
Atheists are parts of existence, so they are gods
So GOD(Existence) can be defined as the summation of everything, everyone etc. regardless of beliefs, culture, norms, values, etc.

For more, read the DOCTUFOS OF TRUTH.
See below for excerpts of other gods you don't believe in, but are actually co-gods with Allah, Yahweh, Odin, Atum, Me and You.

3 Likes

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 06, 2018
There just seem to be a lot more. A majority are closet atheists in real life. The number of people in Nigeria that don't believe in the conventional idea of God are far more than you think. They just don't express it openly. Heck, Adeboye himself could be on here as an atheist, crushing the Christians. But then maybe he wouldn't want to do that because it'd affect his business. grin

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by bloodofthelamb(m): 2:58pm On Feb 06, 2018
Ericsunday619:
hahahahahaha
laughing in the dead spirit of a carpenter
Is that all you got?

1 Like

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Feb 06, 2018
GloryIsaac:

How is stating your opinion and challenging other's beliefs terrorism?
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 4:28pm On Feb 06, 2018
OtemAtum:

Atheism comes at a stage when people are getting to realise the folly of their beliefs. People tend to become atheists when they discover that what they have spent their lifetime believing is buried in falsehood and deceit. It is like realising that a bottle which you believe to be containing water is actually containing poison. You pour the poison away and then start afresh.
Atheism is a starting point. It is somehow positive because now you learn things logically and not through brainwashing. It is simply a disbelief in all the 4,200+ known gods(deities) while theism is the belief in 1 out of the 4,200 gods.
For example, you Op, you are different from all the atheists by your belief in Yahweh while you disbelieve the other 4,199 brothers and sisters of Yahweh. So the difference between you and an atheist is Yahweh.

In a nutshell, atheism is common here because people tend to learn and unlearn. They tend to learn that God cannot be a talkative as presented in all religious books, so they are fully convinced that people like Allah, Yahweh, etc you guys worship cannot actually be qualified to be called GOD ALMIGHTY and I agree with them, even though I am not an atheist.

The truth of the matter is that EXISTENCE is not created by anyone and it is the most qualified thing to be called GOD. Existence gave birth to all these beings you humans deify, so EXISTENCE is GOD.

I am a part of existence, so I am a god.
Yahweh is a part of existence, so he is a god.
Olorun is a part of existence, so he is a god.
Osun is a part of existence, so she is a goddess
Atheists are parts of existence, so they are gods
So GOD(Existence) can be defined as the summation of everything, everyone etc. regardless of beliefs, culture, norms, values, etc.

For more, read the DOCTUFOS OF TRUTH.
See below for excerpts of other gods you don't believe in, but are actually co-gods with Allah, Yahweh, Odin, Atum, Me and You.
I am finding this knowledge very interesting but not strong enough to change my stand on believing 'Yahweh' as d almighty of them all and d reason for existence itself.

1 Like

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by ABBkelvin(m): 5:01pm On Feb 06, 2018
Answer this question and I will believe in God and religion; what is God purpose for existing?
@ ronpet777
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Feb 06, 2018
ABBkelvin:
Answer this question and I will believe in God and religion; what is God purpose for existing?
@ ronpet777

very good question,have Christians ever wondered what "God" does with all his powers,little children are starving to death in so many parts of the world,he supposedly has powers to stop that from happening,women are raped everyday,children are orphaned everyday,natural disasters ravage people and shatter their lives,"God" if he exists should have the power to stop these things especially the natural disasters but what do we see,it is still humans that do everything for themselves,so of what use is "God" and all his powers
If you still don't understand look at it this way,now imagine you have 1 billion dollars,and a poor child needs just 1 million naira to undergo an operation to save his/her life won't you give him/her the money,now for every child who goes through this condition and still dies,"God" could have saved him/her but with all his powers choose not to
Christians would tell you that he has his reasons,one of the major reasons I don't believe in "God" is because of the level of suffering thee world has seen and is still seeing,I can novimagine that someone has the power to stop it but chooses not to,I don't believe there is a reason to justify that

2 Likes

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 5:58pm On Feb 06, 2018
ABBkelvin:
@ ronpet777
I don't want to sound like a preacher, because I knw u might hv at one point or d other been a believer before u crossed over. Y dont u see it d way it shld be seen. U made objects and blessed them and yet they betrayed u. So now u gave them an option to make amends and u really want to stay calm to watch them amend or get destroyed .It will be difficult for God to take this position if He makes himself so evident as u wish him to. My friend, I assure u, those that really find God see Him.The millions of Christians across the world are not fools and dumb. We found something and vehemently hold on to it. I hv researched sir and yet became more resolved in the existence of d maker of all. It sounds fictional but God really is powerful and all will be uncovered one day when He is ready to see those who made amends without even seeing Him physically and d doubters who needed to see a huge monster wielding a giant trident to believe he MADE ALL.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by ABBkelvin(m): 6:05pm On Feb 06, 2018
Ronpet777:

I don't want to sound like a preacher, because I knw u might at one point or d other been a believer before u crossed over. Y dont u see it d way it shld be seen. U made objects and blessed them and yet they betrayed u. So now u gave them an option to make amends and u really want to stay calm to watch them amend or get destroyed .It will be difficult for God to take this position if He makes himself so evident as u wish him to. My friend, I assure u, those that really find God see Him.The millions of Christians across the world are not fools and dumb. We found something and vehemently hold on to it. I hv researched sir and yet became more resolved in the existence of d maker of all. It sounds fictional but God really is powerful and all will be uncovered one day when He is ready to see those who made amends without even seeing Him physically and d doubters who needed to see a huge monster wielding a giant trident to believe he MADE ALL.
My question is as straight forward as it come. I'm not here to come and argue for or against existence of God. Answer my question or agree with me that whatever has no purpose or drive is meaningless. What is God purpose for existing?
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 6:10pm On Feb 06, 2018
darkchild64:

very good question,have Christians ever wondered what "God" does with all his powers,little children are starving to death in so many parts of the world,he supposedly has powers to stop that from happening,women are raped everyday,children are orphaned everyday,natural disasters ravage people and shatter their lives,"God" if he exists should have the power to stop these things especially the natural disasters but what do we see,it is still humans that do everything for themselves,so of what use is "God" and all his powers
If you still don't understand look at it this way,now imagine you have 1 billion dollars,and a poor child needs just 1 million naira to undergo an operation to save his/her life won't you give him/her the money,now for every child who goes through this condition and still dies,"God" could have saved him/her but with all his powers choose not to
Christians would tell you that he has his reasons,one of the major reasons I don't believe in "God" is because of the level of suffering thee world has seen and is still seeing,I can novimagine that someone has the power to stop it but chooses not to,I don't believe there is a reason to justify that
When I make some artistic creations, I admire it cos it involves hard work. But when I see no use for it again, I can destroy it in whatever way I choose. I can squeeze it or burn it or just crush it. God had a purpose for mankind and trusted it enough to give it free will to choose outside any influence.
God then realised man can be swayed and so gave man a chance yet again after discovering man was weak in decision and needed help to be better. Now, He is willing to watch inconsequential creatures die and useful ones as well knowing there is a better aftermath for d useful ones.
We have instincts as humans and can make great fits with our imaginations. God speaks to us through different ways and we get convinced abt many things. U r not convinced abt God cos u hv shut d inlet God uses to speak to pple (which is ur mind) to him.

1 Like

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by ABBkelvin(m): 6:20pm On Feb 06, 2018
Ronpet777:

When I make some artistic creations, I admire it cos it involves hard work. But when I see no use for it again, I can destroy it in whatever way I choose. I can squeeze it or burn it or just crush it. God had a purpose for mankind and trusted it enough to give it free will to choose outside any influence.
God then realised man can be swayed and so gave man a chance yet again after discovering man was weak in decision and needed help to be better. Now, He is willing to watch inconsequential creatures die and useful ones as well knowing there is a better aftermath for d useful ones.
We have instincts as humans and can make great fits with our imaginations. God speaks to us through different ways and we get convinced abt many things. U r not convinced abt God cos u hv shut d inlet God uses to speak to pple (which is ur mind) to him.
same question which you still find difficult to answer grin ; what is God purpose for existing? Can something supreme exist without a purpose?
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 6:39pm On Feb 06, 2018
ABBkelvin:

My question is as straight forward as it come. I'm not here to come and argue for or against existence of God. Answer my question or agree with me that whatever has no purpose or drive is meaningless. What is God purpose for existing?
As sound or rather vast in religion or theology as I may seem to sound, naturally some things are far beyond me.The purpose of God can only be inferred based on the extent to which d creation suggests. I cannot give a precise purpose as there r many purposes to which a thing serves. God exists before mankind and so we hv a limited knowledge as to how long and why He does exist. But in ur atheism, how come u don't hv any answer to why the world exist at all? We can answer d question Y we exist but not Y d maker exists.
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Feb 06, 2018
Ronpet777:

The phrase in bold doesn't make sense,how can "God" realize something,doesn't that sound odd to you

If "God" is omniscient he would have known the outcome of things if he allowed it happen in a particular way and if he is omnipotent he would know the way to allow something to happen in other to yield the result he wants,so no matter how you twist the logic "God" if he exists is responsible for the bad things that happen on earth,if not for any other reason for creating Satan knowing fully well that he would mess up everything,there is no way around that either. And again the Bible says that if one knows what is right and refuses to do it then it is sin,if you see someone in pain,it will only be right to help the person,if you don't do the right thing(help the person) then it is sin according to the Bible, now let's see how "God" is guilty of this,"God" has the power to stop bad things from happening but refuses to,therefore according to the Bible "God" sins,except if you say that "God" doesn't have to obey the Bible,and if "God" doesn't have to obey the bible,then that means Jesus who is "God" doesn't have to obey the Bible, and if Jesus doesn't have to obey the Bible, then christians who are followers of Jesus don't have to do what their master doesn't do hence they don't have to obey the Bible.
IF YOU DISAGREE WITH MY POST LOGICALLY DISPROVE IT

1 Like

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by ABBkelvin(m): 7:17pm On Feb 06, 2018
Ronpet777:

As sound or rather vast in religion or theology as I may seem to sound, naturally some things are far beyond me.The purpose of God can only be inferred based on the extent to which d creation suggests. I cannot give a precise purpose as there r many purposes to which a thing serves. God exists before mankind and so we hv a limited knowledge as to how long and why He does exist. But in ur atheism, how come u don't hv any answer to why the world exist at all? We can answer d question Y we exist but not Y d maker exist.
The fact that both of us can't provide answer to my question makes the idea of God existence meaningless. Human being need something to cling existence to, that was why the idea of a God came about in the early history of human. existence of a God as an entity will forever remain undefined. All I can advise you is to live this particular life timeline you've found yourself in to the fullest, since you don't know anything about you before your birth, then you don't have to worry about you after your death. Where you are before you were born is where you will go back to when you die, which is the state of non-existence. Stop dreaming about living forever, that shouldn't be your concern, what should be your concern is living and enjoying all the experience you're gathering here on earth till death. Live your life and do whatever you want to do with your life, that's the only thing that belong to you before death will come and take it away forever. Stop living in state of illusion and hope. Bless you

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Photos From Faith Oyedepo's 56th Birthday Celebration / Salvation Ministry Port-Harcourt Constructs Roads And Drainages (Photos) / Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.