Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,899 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:51 PM

Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin (47258 Views)

Men With Poor Taste In Women: This Is What Beautiful Dark Skin Girls Look Like / Album Download: Kanye West My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy / Meet The Most Beautiful Dark Skin Girl In Africa (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by KingSango(m): 10:10pm On Feb 15, 2018
Greetings,

What do people have against beautiful darkskin? As I lightskin African I am quite mad I wasn't born with beautiful darkskin, it is the most beautiful skin for a woman and a man. So what is this self hatred and where is it coming from?

KingSango:

Greetings,

What do people have against beautiful darkskin? As I lightskin African I am quite mad I wasn't born with beautiful darkskin, it is the most beautiful skin for a woman and a man. So what is this self hatred and where is it coming from?

The dark skin experience: What it’s like to be dark-skinned in a world that tells you light is beautiful
By Alley Wilson
Multimedia Producer Global News

more

Let's talk colourism: While more people of colour are being represented in media, it seems that audiences are mostly seeing those with lighter skin complexions.

- A A +
Listen
Kheris Rogers knows what it’s like to be bullied.

At only 10 years old, Rogers said she’s been called names by her peers that made her feel upset, sad and made her feel different from other kids because of her skin tone.

There was even an incident where Rogers said her teacher once gave her a black crayon to draw herself, instead of a brown one.

“It made me very uncomfortable in my skin colour,” Rogers, who is black, told Global News.

Courtesy: Flexin’ In My Complexion/Taylor Pollard
Courtesy: Flexin’ In My Complexion/Taylor Pollard

Rogers transferred schools because of the bullying. But she still faces verbal abuse – even from other black students.

“It’s very sad that other kids are bullying their same race,” Rogers said.

What Rogers is referring to is “colourism,” which is the discrimination people face, usually within their own racial groups, where lighter skin tones/complexions are seen as more desirable than those with a darker skin tone.

It’s a privilege that people with lighter skin tones experience compared to those with darker complexions.

READ MORE: FaceApp apologizes after backlash over ‘racist’ skin lightening filter

Latifah Damali, an English spoken-word artist who goes by the name Princess Latifah, said the idea that lighter skin is more beautiful, especially in the black community, is imprinted on children at a young age.

Courtesy: YouTube/Princess Latifah
Courtesy: YouTube/Princess Latifah

“Being dark skin was never really the best thing in the world. Especially in the area I grew up,” said Princess Latifah to Global News.

“[Black girls] weren’t considered beautiful, or anything at all. The darker you are… it wasn’t really a positive experience.”

Princess Latifah said that her goddaughter once pointed to a light-skinned girl with her mother and said “’I want hair like that. I want to look like that.’”

“It’s very sad,” she said. “Dark skin is not good enough, blackness is not enough. But black is beautiful. Black is good enough. One [skin tone] is not better than the other.”

Princess Latifah created a video called “Pretty for a Darkskin?” that highlights the trouble that people with darker skin face, and how their complexions are perceived by others.

In the video, which has over 11,000 views, she delivered a spoken-word poem in which she described a man saying, “’Wow, you’re pretty for a dark skin.’”

“Even to dark guys, dark girls never win,” Princess Latifah said in the poem.

“Even if he’s blacker than the skin I’m in, to be with a black girl is this sin.”

One of the main reasons why people see lighter-skinned individuals as more desirable is because those are the kinds of faces they see in media – advertisements, music videos and much more, Princess Latifah said.

Recent examples include the casting of a light-skinned black model in the music video for Kendrick Lamar’s “Humble,” and the fallout between Sam and Coco in the Netflix series Dear White People. Another example includes rapper Azealia Banks’ 21-minute rant from last year, in which she talked about her decision to lighten her skin complexion.

“What’s the difference between getting a nose job and changing your skin colour? What’s the difference between getting a hair weave and changing your skin colour?” asked Banks in her video. “Because there really isn’t a difference.”

Banks went on to say that she believes there’s a stigma surrounding skin-lightening, or skin bleaching, even though it’s becoming more common.

READ MORE: Azealia Banks supports skin bleaching, but there are many reasons why you shouldn’t

She also said the decision to lighten her skin had nothing to do with her blackness.

“To say it negates anything I’ve said about the current situation of blackness in America – it’s ignorant and just stupid,” Banks said. “I don’t really think it’s important to discuss the cultural significance of skin bleaching anymore.”

But that’s not necessarily true, according to an article written by Gideon Lasco (MD, PhD), a physician and medical anthropologist from the Philippines.

As part of the “Chemical Youth” project, a research effort that looked at the effects of “pills, drinks, sprays, powders and lotions” on young people, Lasco examined why more Asian men are using skin-whitening products.

(stock photo)
(stock photo)

“In Heian Japan (794 to 1185 AD) and Ming China (1368-1644), handsome men were described as having white or pale skin… Researchers have [also] suggested that, in many societies, fair skin was a mark of class distinction,” he wrote.

Lasco told Global News that people have “always sought to distinguish themselves through physical differences,” whether it be for cultural influences, such as beauty standards, or even peer influences.

“It becomes a social problem when people’s skins becomes a subject of discrimination. But at the same time, many people pursue white skin because it makes them more ‘attractive’; it can have social and economic benefits at the level of individuals,” he said in an email.

The skin lightening industry was expected to be worth $10 billion as of 2015, rising to $23 billion by 2020, according to a 2009 report by Global Industry Analysts (GIA).

In 2011, the World Health Organization (WHO) said that 77 per cent of women in Nigeria were reported to use skin-lightening products regularly. So were 40 per cent of women surveyed in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, the Philippines, and the Republic of Korea.

READ MORE: Skin brightening ads removed from TTC subway trains

In India, 61 per cent of the dermatological market was made up by skin-lightening products, the WHO added.

Chhaya Néné, an L.A.-based actress who was born in the U.S. but was raised in an Indian household, said she has seen many friends use skin-bleaching creams.

Courtesy: Chhaya Néné
Courtesy: Chhaya Néné

It upset her that people were using these products with the belief that having lighter skin means receiving better treatment by society.

“I’ve had friends – we joke about it now – where their parents would be like ‘don’t play around in the sun. You’ll get too dark,’” Néné told Global News. “I think it’s just crazy, ‘oh, we don’t want you getting too dark.’ What’s the problem with being too dark? I really don’t understand.”

Néné went on a reporting trip to India in 2013.

Even though she’s considered lighter-skinned within her community, she found that, as she checked into a hotel, she still wasn’t treated as well as Caucasian people were.

“I was the only person who spoke the language in the area [yet] everyone got greeted first, followed to their room, given service and welcome kits. I didn’t get greeted and in my room there wasn’t a welcome kit,” said Néné.

“I was really upset and called my dad and said, ‘this is not the India I know.’ My dad called the hotel and said, ‘How dare you treat our own so differently? This is the reason that we have problems within our country. She is one of your own [yet] she is treated differently.’”

Néné said she’s proud of who she is – and her skin complexion.

“I’ve always felt that we as individuals and as people are beautiful in our own skin,” she said.

It’s a message that resonates with darker-skinned people in many communities – including 10-year-old Rogers.

After Rogers was mocked for her skin tone, her sister Taylor Pollard took some pictures of her and put the photos on Instagram with the hashtag, “#FlexinInHerComplexion.”

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Boss Babe✨
@TaylorAndrea_
My sister is only 10, but already royalty �� #FlexinInHerComplexion

3:49 PM - Mar 26, 2017
31.9K people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
“I told my mom that we should make shirts with ‘Flexin’ In My Complexion’ on it to inspire other people that their skin colour is beautiful no matter what.”

And just like that, Rogers created her own company – she has over 26,000 followers on Instagram – where, as CEO, she is spreading a positive message about love and confidence.

“I want other kids to know that they’re beautiful no matter what and they shouldn’t let anyone tell them otherwise,” said Rogers.

“I took a negative and made it into a positive.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF-_LxGU4og

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF-_LxGU4og

www.undergroundriseup..com

1 Share

Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by BaeMercy(f): 10:31pm On Feb 15, 2018
Op, Is That You On Your Dp? If Yes. You're Handsome

1 Like

Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by KingSango(m): 11:11pm On Feb 15, 2018
BaeMercy:

Thank you.

There are millions of beautiful darkskin African women.

1 Share

Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by KingSango(m): 11:47pm On Feb 15, 2018
For the ladies, there are beautiful Black skin African men as well. grin

1 Share

Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by Slaye: 1:25am On Feb 16, 2018
Kai. This girl is just too beautiful!!! kiss

This is exactly the type of girl I want to marry!!! See black skin. Too yummy. Choi

2 Likes

Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by KingSango(m): 1:28am On Feb 16, 2018
Slaye:
Kai. This girl is just too beautiful!!! kiss

This is exactly the type of girl I want to marry!!! See black skin. Too yummy. Choi

As long as she's a born woman. grin No Bobriskys.

1 Share

Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by Slaye: 1:30am On Feb 16, 2018
[quote author=KingSango post=65103414][/quote]

Gup which kind fat dirty girl be this na. If you they this forum since you suppose to don know say I only like slim girls smiley

1 Like

Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by KingSango(m): 1:34am On Feb 16, 2018
Slaye:

Gup which kind fat dirty girl be this na. If you they this forum since you suppose to don know say I only like slim girls smiley

I like a full woman. You're a youth and I'm not. When you marry that slim girl, one day she's going to get big, old and fat. The only question is will you still truly love her? Or was it all for looks? The only thing that really matters is a good woman in the end. Because if she's bad she will run out on you. This is about darkskin being beautiful no matter the model.

Ase

Love Sango
Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by Slaye: 1:36am On Feb 16, 2018
KingSango:

I like a full woman. You're a youth and I'm not. When you marry that slim girl, one day she's going to get big, old and fat. The only question is will you still truly love her? Or was it all for looks? The only thing that really matters is a good woman in the end. Because if she's bad she will run out on you. This is about darkskin being beautiful no matter the model.

Ase

Love Sango

You be sango worshiper?
Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by KingSango(m): 1:38am On Feb 16, 2018
Slaye:

You be sango worshiper?

Yes, Sango love women. grin Women are beautiful creatures and no man can take the place of a woman, the nerve of these sodomites. The damn nerve. angry

www.theriseofsodom..com

1 Share

Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by KingSango(m): 1:45am On Feb 16, 2018
Real woman. grin

1 Like

Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by KingSango(m): 2:16am On Feb 16, 2018
No matter the size, darkskin is still beautiful. We don't want leave women out who will never be slim and never were but still beautiful.

Ase

Love Sango

1 Like

Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by Nobody: 2:24am On Feb 16, 2018
BaeMercy:
Wow. That was pretty ballsy. I'm impressed
Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by Nobody: 2:30am On Feb 16, 2018
I thought I was alone in my fascination with dark skinned women. There's just something about that sleek ebony....

1 Like

Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by BaeMercy(f): 3:05am On Feb 16, 2018
UltraMax:
Wow. That was pretty ballsy. I'm impressed
HMM
Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by BaeMercy(f): 3:07am On Feb 16, 2018
KingSango:

Thank you.
There are millions of beautiful darkskin African women.
You Are Welcome

1 Like

Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by Nobody: 3:11am On Feb 16, 2018
BaeMercy:
HMM
Or were you just caught up in Valentine fever. Love is in the air.....*dons gas mask*
Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by BaeMercy(f): 3:14am On Feb 16, 2018
UltraMax:
Or were you just caught up in Valentine fever. Love is in the air.....*dons gas mask*
I Am Minor
Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by Nobody: 3:21am On Feb 16, 2018
BaeMercy:
I Am Minor
Telling uncle he's handsome was a little inappropriate. Go to bed, there's school tomorrow
Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by BaeMercy(f): 3:24am On Feb 16, 2018
UltraMax:
Telling uncle he's handsome was a little inappropriate. Go to bed, there's school tomorrow
I Am Minor Doesn't Mean I Am Still In Secondary School...
It Was Just A Compliment

1 Like

Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by Nobody: 3:40am On Feb 16, 2018
BaeMercy:
I Am Minor Doesn't Mean I Am Still In Secondary School...
It Was Just A Compliment
You're under 18. If you're done with secondary school, then you should be planning on getting admission for tertiary education. You were appreciating his good looks. It may seem normal to you kids of nowadays, but its not proper. As a minor, you don't go about telling adults how handsome or beautiful they are, it may be taken as flirting. Try not to be argumentative, take to corrections. Be good

1 Like

Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by BaeMercy(f): 3:43am On Feb 16, 2018
UltraMax:
You're under 18. If you're done with secondary school, then you should be planning on getting admission for tertiary education. You were appreciating his good looks. It may seem normal to you kids of nowadays, but its not proper. As a minor, you don't go about telling adults how handsome or beautiful they are, it may be taken as flirting. Try not to be argumentative, just take to corrections. Be good
Ok I Am Already In Tertiary. He Is An American, Not Like You Who Take It Somehow. Our Mindset Are Different..
Bye
Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by 12salim(m): 2:06pm On Feb 16, 2018
KingSango:

As long as she's a born woman. grin No Bobriskys.

Dark skin is beautiful, i agree with you on that, but she's too fat friend! #Sizedomatters grin (i know it's off topic).
Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by Nobody: 2:14pm On Feb 16, 2018
UltraMax:
Dont b too uptight bros

1 Like

Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by KingSango(m): 9:45pm On Feb 16, 2018
Greetings,

I'm not taking anything on NL personal. I am not here to be complimented but I will not bash a youth for telling me I look handsome, its too serious. grin

This thread is about the beauty of darkskin and how it is beautiful.

In traditional Africa, especially the East Africa kingdoms like Buganda, Bunyoro, Ankole, Tooro, etc, grandmothers would bathe the newborns after their 3rd day in Cow's milk and special herbs. This procedure was done to all newborns so that their skin would be strong and healthy. Over time the skin becomes shiny, glowing, and has a rich milk chocolate coat. This is how its done is Nubia, South Sudan now. This is also done in Uganda and other parts of Africa by grandmothers wishing beauty upon their grandchildren. Our culture is naturally rich and by bleeching out our darkskin we are ruining what our 3 mothers have given us, mother nature which is the Mother Goddess, our birth mothers and our grandmothers.

Ase

Love Sango

www.undergroundriseup..com

1 Share

Re: Bleeching Out Beautiful Dark Skin by KingSango(m): 7:55pm On Feb 17, 2018
Sodomite Freemason Illuminati have created a world where human beings hate what Almighty God has created them to be.

www.theriseofsodom..com

The Dangers of Skin Bleaching Products for Jamaicans, Africans & Indians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EXHddToEio

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

10 Statements Ladies Often Make To Appear Decent Before Guys / My Good Friend Has Slept With The Girl I Want To Marry, What Should I Do?‎ / My Girlfriend Keeps Proposing To Me But....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.