Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,418 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:13 AM

Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa (46732 Views)

Nembe people of Bayelsa are Igbos / Isoko Names And Their Meaning / Meet The Koma People Of Adamawa State Where Cloth Is A Prized Possession (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by AdaFonju: 1:38pm On Feb 17, 2018
femolii:
Ijaw people in ondo are tanants to Ilajes because they went there for economic purposes n their from gbanran in deltal state today people calling them part of ondo state people but u don't want people to call them tanants in ondo now u are calling isoko people people tenant in bayelsa u see your life.
I see which year did Ijaws go to Ondo for economic purposes and get over 100 communities & a homogeneous local government & sharing 2 other lgas , by now igbos should have taken over the state as they also went there for "economic" purposes

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by terpenoid(m): 1:44pm On Feb 17, 2018
[quote author=Sanchez01 post=65136569]
I don't understand if English is the problem here or something; Delta is not the Homeland of Igbos in the state, largely because they were ceded to it. They were 'forcefully' moved. It's almost the same as someone who migrated because he was settled somewhere before being removed. Beyond being a blend of Igboid and Edoid groups, should the ceded parts be returned today, then it becomes an Edoid state.

It's just like a part of Abia that was ceded to Rivers. You cannot say Rivers is their homeland because doing so makes a mockery of your thought processes. They are indeginous, yes, but the fact remains that they were removed from their rightful place to where they are today (Obigbo).

I am not interested in the citizenship/naturalisation debate here. It is one thing overrunning a people and taking their lands, as the Fulanis did the Hausas, it is another thing becoming settlers in a place just because it was never claimed or occupied as at the time it was found, and it is another to have a people ceded to another part.

Again, Delta State is not the homeland of Igboid groups in the state, just as Spain is not the homeland of Catalonia. The same way you cannot tell me Bayelsa is homeland to the Ofonis and Anibezes. If you don't know this, you can't know it as there is no forcing it.

PS: Perhaps you have never thought of it, but it is crucial to understand the 'HOW' of a people before describing wherever they are as their homeland. [/quoteWat are u saying,d ndokwa west,east,ukwani to round it up dat speak igbo related language, do u mean dea migrated?
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by nowpresence(f): 1:45pm On Feb 17, 2018
AdaFonju:

I agree with you totally, they are now nonentities in Niger delta with a population less than 200k, whereas the Urhobo/isoko are numbering close to 5 million
in everything we do there is always a reward, the Benin's are already reaping their's. what is even the relevant of their oba outside edo state? nothing.
this serves as a lesson to other ethnic groups. There is nothing greater than mutual respect for one another.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Newmanluckyman(m): 1:50pm On Feb 17, 2018
Hypocrisy is an acute disease. Every other tribes believe that the have extension of their people outside their main cluster state but igbos are not and they only congregated to 5 states alone. This hypocrisy is very stinking.

6 Likes

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by femolii: 1:59pm On Feb 17, 2018
AdaFonju:

I see which year did Ijaws go to Ondo for economic purposes and get over 100 communities & a homogeneous local government & sharing 2 other lgas , by now igbos should have taken over the state as they also went there for "economic" purposes
Shut up oga two fowl hause is now community,where is 100 communities u are talking about the one ontop water at arogbo? try and get sense.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by babyhrt(m): 2:03pm On Feb 17, 2018
My only take is that Isoko language is not a branch of the Urhobo language. It neither a dialect of urhobo..its an independent language...the degree of mutual non intelligibility between the two languages is enough for my claim.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by AdaFonju: 2:27pm On Feb 17, 2018
femolii:
Shut up oga two fowl hause is now community,where is 100 communities u are talking about the one ontop water at arogbo? try and get sense.
Lol, two fowl house is now a homogeneous lga & numerous communities in two other lgas, clap for yourself well well, you played yourself
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by AdaFonju: 2:28pm On Feb 17, 2018
babyhrt:
My only take is that Isoko language is not a branch of the Urhobo language. It neither a dialect of urhobo..its an independent language...the degree of mutual non intelligibility btw the two language is enough for my claim.
What of Okpe? Will you also call it a language due to intelligibility

1 Like

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by InfiniteLoopx: 2:33pm On Feb 17, 2018
AdaFonju:

Are there not Ibibio speaking communities in Abia, Igala in Anambra, Idoma in Enugu and cross Rivers tribes in Ebonyi
Stop been dumb. There is nothing like Cross Rivers tribe. Besides, Ebonyi State is 100% Igboid.
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by AdaFonju: 2:36pm On Feb 17, 2018
[quote author=terpenoid post=65142308][/quote]
You seem like a smart person, are igbos the only ethnic group in the south east
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by InfiniteLoopx: 2:41pm On Feb 17, 2018
AdaFonju:

Yes, they are the majority. The less than 2 % Igala population in Anambra speaks pure Igbo. Most can't even communicate in Igala any more.
in Awka, Igala population are more or less, economic settlers, as every other Nigerians. South East is completely Igboid, running down to some parts of South South. Now, you get the drill. cool

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by AdaFonju: 2:50pm On Feb 17, 2018
InfiniteLoopx:

Stop been dumb. There is nothing like Cross Rivers tribe. Besides, Ebonyi State is 100% Igboid.
You see the problem, Igbos are quick to point out that they have communities in Benue but ignore that there are non-igbo tribes in the soutg east, shame on all of you
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by AdaFonju: 2:55pm On Feb 17, 2018
InfiniteLoopx:

Yes, they are the majority. The less than 2 % Igala population in Anambra speaks pure Igbo. Most can't even communicate in Igala any more.
in Awka, Igala population are more or less, economic settlers, as every other Nigerians. South East is completely Igboid, running down to some parts of South South. Now, you get the drill. cool
You're not as smart as thought initially, you acknowledged Igalas in Anambra and still claim s.e is COMPLETELY igboid,
You see how you are stylishly trying to reduce the Igala people in Anambra, so you dont know of the indigenous Idoma ppl in Enugu state or the significant Ibibio speaking people in Abia,
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Efewestern: 2:56pm On Feb 17, 2018
nowpresence:

in everything we do there is always a reward, the Benin's are already reaping their's. what is even the relevant of their oba outside edo state? nothing.
this serves as a lesson to other ethnic groups. There is nothing greater than mutual respect for one another.

Thank you oniovo, please hit em hard, the Beni kingdom is long gone, nobody gives a rat ass about any kingdom.

You will always see these Edo folks in Every Thread trying to tell the world that everybody is under them , If they are not picking on the Yorubas they will be Picking on others.

As for the language nonsense, let me be clear here.

The urhobo language is not under Edo, You only call a language a subgroup of another if both group can communicate, believe me I don't understand any shit about Edo and Edo cant understand me either.

One even said Itsekiri was Edoid, lol.

5 Likes

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by SicilianMafia: 3:02pm On Feb 17, 2018
Efewestern:

[s]Thank you oniovo, please hit em hard, the Beni kingdom is long gone, nobody gives a rat ass about any kingdom.

You will always see these Edo folks in Every Thread trying to tell the world that everybody is under them , If they are not picking on the Yorubas they will be Picking on others.

The urhobo language is not under Edo, You only call a language a subgroup of another if both group can communicate, believe me I don't understand any shit about Edo and Edo cant understand me either.

One even said Itsekiri was Edoid, lol[/s].

Thank God you don expose yourself , I always knew you are a rat, .... Its On!!
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by otipoju(m): 3:04pm On Feb 17, 2018
Afam4eva:

You obviously did not get the memo before accusing me of tribalism which is what you're very good at.

Delta state is not the homeland of Isoko people even though most Isoko people can be found in Delta state. The reason is because those that carved Delta state made it so. I dont see a big deal in having an Isoko tribe living in another artificial creation in Bayelsa without considering the fact that Bayelsa is just a stone throw from where Isokos are situated in Delta sate. They could even be contiguous to each other. It' just like saying that there's an Igbo tribe in Asaba outside the south-east as if Igbos are limited to the artificial creation that is south-east Nigeria.

Brother, leave those people. Their brain no carry wetin you dey explain. What you said makes plenty of sense and it's profoundly simple...yet they can't comprehend.

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Efewestern: 3:07pm On Feb 17, 2018
SicilianMafia:

Standalone but you speak Edo language ,Dress like Edo's, Bear Edo names , everything about you screams Edo and you are here typing nonsense from 3310.
Wat an Irony Dumbo your opinion is irrelevant

Edo language ko, edo language ni, As if you can understand anything in urhobo. oshare park one side.. stop trying to feel too important.. nobody gives a rat ass about you.

grin. grin

The Urhobos/Isoko are Different Ethnic group and are not under Edo.. copy?

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Efewestern: 3:09pm On Feb 17, 2018
SicilianMafia:

Thank God you don expose yourself , I always knew you are a rat, .... Its On!!

You don't want to respect other ethnic group, but you want everybody to worship you.. dude wake up.. this is 2018.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by nowpresence(f): 3:25pm On Feb 17, 2018
Efewestern:

Thank you oniovo, please hit em hard, the Beni kingdom is long gone, nobody gives a rat ass about any kingdom.

One even said Itsekiri was Edoid, lol.
The edo's always using urhobo /isoko to massage their bruised ego. Enough is enough. The truth must be told.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by nowpresence(f): 3:33pm On Feb 17, 2018
babyhrt:
My only take is that Isoko language is not a branch of the Urhobo language. It neither a dialect of urhobo..its an independent language...the degree of mutual non intelligibility btw the two language is enough for my claim.
are you an Isoko person
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by terpenoid(m): 3:50pm On Feb 17, 2018
AdaFonju:

not atall...we have a bunch of dem in river state I guess

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by femolii: 3:53pm On Feb 17, 2018
AdaFonju:

Lol, two fowl house is now a homogeneous lga & numerous communities in two other lgas, clap for yourself well well, you played yourself
See as you they fool your self here we have other tribe with them they are not the only one even with the name you call them migrant na migrant go sheck deltal n bayelsa u will find thousand of Ilajes occupered many villages.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by yom2(m): 4:18pm On Feb 17, 2018
Sanchez01:

I don't understand if English is the problem here or something; Delta is not the Homeland of Igbos in the state, largely because they were ceded to it. They were 'forcefully' moved. It's almost the same as someone who migrated because he was settled somewhere before being removed. Beyond being a blend of Igboid and Edoid groups, should the ceded parts be returned today, then it becomes an Edoid state.

It's just like a part of Abia that was ceded to Rivers. You cannot say Rivers is their homeland because doing so makes a mockery of your thought processes. They are indeginous, yes, but the fact remains that they were removed from their rightful place to where they are today (Obigbo).

I am not interested in the citizenship/naturalisation debate here. It is one thing overrunning a people and taking their lands, as the Fulanis did the Hausas, it is another thing becoming settlers in a place just because it was never claimed or occupied as at the time it was found, and it is another to have a people ceded to another part.

Again, Delta State is not the homeland of Igboid groups in the state, just as Spain is not the homeland of Catalonia. The same way you cannot tell me Bayelsa is homeland to the Ofonis and Anibezes. If you don't know this, you can't know it as there is no forcing if.

PS: Perhaps you have Neverland thought of it, but it is crucial to understanding the 'HOW' of a peoples before describing wherever they are as their homeland.
oga what are u saying?there will always be boundaries where ethnic dilution and dispersion occurs .if they are the first occupiers of a virgin wilderness where there no contest. then it is their's. except u are trying to say that that part of delta should have been zoned to d east. and don't forget we have ndokwa in d riverine
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by InfiniteLoopx: 4:43pm On Feb 17, 2018
AdaFonju:

You're not as smart as thought initially, you acknowledged Igalas in Anambra and still claim s.e is COMPLETELY igboid,
You see how you are stylishly trying to reduce the Igala people in Anambra, so you dont know of the indigenous Idoma ppl in Enugu state or the significant Ibibio speaking people in Abia,
The Igala communities in Anambra don't even speak the language. That is the point.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by ObaroFaisal(m): 4:54pm On Feb 17, 2018
So we should fry beans and egg or what?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by yom2(m): 4:58pm On Feb 17, 2018
InfiniteLoopx:

The Igala communities in Anambra don't even speak the language. That is the point.
we also have them in delta in a town called Ebu
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by yom2(m): 4:59pm On Feb 17, 2018
InfiniteLoopx:

we also have them in delta in a town called: Ebu , not far from asaba

1 Like

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 5:45pm On Feb 17, 2018
Efewestern:
THE isoko people are people of Niger Delta who are located In Delta state and some part of Bayelsa state, I once created a thread about the Urhobo speaking People of Bayelsa. https://www.nairaland.com/2289624/meet-ofoni-people-bayelsa-only

Isoko land is a key centre of Nigeria's crude oil and natural gas production with a population of about 1.5 million, making the Urhobo / Isoko population to be 5 Million.

The isoko language is a branch of the urhobo language, thou unique in it's way. The isoko people shares similar culture and believe with the Urhobos.

Anibeze is an Isoko speaking community in Constituency III, Sagbama local government area of Bayelsa State. It settles along the Forcados River, on lower Niger River.

Their closest neighbours are Patani in Delta State and Adagbabiri community in the same Sagbama local government, Bayelsa State.

The people’s main occupation is farming, with some fishing too. The community can be accessed through the River or motor bike from the East/West Road.

Plight of the Anibeze People

For the people of this riverside settlement whose very existence like several others in the predominantly riverine state is now hanging in the balance on account of the devastating erosion caused by the tempestuous River Forcados, a tributary of the magnificent River Niger, this certainly is not the best of times.

As the people go through the motions of daily life, the troubled look in many eyes betray layers of unspoken fears and uncertainty. Nobody is sure whose house would be the next to be swallowed in this predominantly farming and fishing settlement by the river.

Sadly, the people no longer have enough land to farm due to the devastating coastal erosion which has eroded about 70 per cent of its landmass. Also fishing which the people could have relied on for survival has suffered tremendous neglect due to the precarious situation in the community where families are constantly relocating due to the erosion menace which has swept away several buildings.

Notable People from Anibeze community

* Prof Obaro Ikime

Isoko Wado!!!!

""making the Urhobo / Isoko population to be 5 Million""

The most populated tribe in the SS minus the igbos is Ijaw, And they are less than 2.5 million people. How the hell DoD u arrive @ isoko + urobo 5 million figure?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nobody: 5:50pm On Feb 17, 2018
Sanchez01:

Again, Delta State is not the homeland of Igboid groups in the state, just as Spain is not the homeland of Catalonia. The same way you cannot tell me Bayelsa is homeland to the Ofonis and Anibezes. If you don't know this, you can't know it as there is no forcing it.

PS: Perhaps you have never thought of it, but it is crucial to understand the 'HOW' of a people before describing wherever they are as their homeland.

There are indigenous igbos in delta state and rivers state for example......It's their homeland.

""Delta is not the Homeland of Igbos in the state, largely because they were ceded to it. They were 'forcefully' moved""

Who forcefully moved who

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Abogwara: 6:13pm On Feb 17, 2018
Afam4eva:
You know, when people say things like "The Isoko tribe in Bayelsa" or "The Igbo tribe in Benue or Kogi", i really don't unerstand what they mean when you consider that states are actually an artificial creation. I don't see a big deal in an Isoko tribe in a state that shares boundary with Delta state where Isokos are majorly situated. It will be a big deal if i find an Isoko or Urhobo tribe somewhere in Benue or Zamfara or even in Ghana.

Yes you're right as no boundary can be perfectly cut without one or two distortions.
Re: Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa by Nowenuse: 7:30pm On Feb 17, 2018
Sanchez01:

How you turn a thread on its head with your tribalism laced remarks is amazing.

States are 'artificial creation', yet terminologies subtly used to classify a people abound, particularly in the East, just as some other parts of the country. Or wouldn't it be better if I classify you as Wawa just to point out that you are most likely from Enugu or Ebonyi, thereby limiting the chances of your state of origin?

There is a saying mostly by the Yorubas that 'a farm cannot belong to a father and his son without defining boundaries'. States may have been artificially created, but then again, bulk of its reason is to define bothers and territories.

It might not be a big deal when an Igbo man does an exposé, claiming Igbos founded or dwelt in Southern Kaduna long before the Fulanis got into Nigeria or even before the first Hausa man was born, but it is not the same for the Urhobos/Isokos as we are not really known from running or leaving our homeland in droves. Regardless of how neighbouring the state is, it is always an area of interest for us as we are a small, though distinct group. We are not 'strollers' by nature

Who told you that Urhobos/Isokos don't migrate? Well, maybe not now, but in the past, Urhobos migrated a lot.

Do you know how many thousands of Urhobos/Isokos migrated to Jos during the colonial tin minning period? You can see famous Urhobos like Karen Igho( Big brother Africa winner) & Efe (BBNaija winner) who were born & bred in Jos.
There are many of them like that all over Jos whose parents and even grandparents were born in Jos. Many of them have already adopted Jos as their hometown, like Karen Igho whose brideprice was paid in Jos and her traditional wedding done there.

If not for the Jos crises that changed a lot of settlement patterns, there used to be a part of Jos dominated by Urhobo/Isoko people.

What about many of your people who migrated to Liberia (I think around the 80's or so)?

or those Urhobo farming communities spread all over Edo, from Ovia down to Ondo? Or is it your people that dominate places like Ajegunle in Lagos and have been settled and even naturalized there for decades.

There is a lot you need to know. Start asking.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings / Bini Insults! / Queen Damilola Apologizes To Alaafin Of Oyo, Begs Him To Accept Her Back (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.