Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,141 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

'Igbo People Started Gay in Nigeria They Started it Before Colonization-Lady Say - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 'Igbo People Started Gay in Nigeria They Started it Before Colonization-Lady Say (4310 Views)

Hookup Didn't Start Today, Our Mothers Started It - Prophetess Jane Chukwu / Lady Gets Iphone X From Her Boyfriend Just One Month After They Started Dating / Pharmacist Refuses To Sell Condom To A Lady, Say It's Against Her Faith (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Igbo People Started Gay in Nigeria They Started it Before Colonization-Lady Say by donstan18: 5:33pm On Feb 20, 2018
khiaa:

It's all make-believe, I'm just being silly on a thread that I knew would cause bickering. undecided

Thought as much, had to play along cheesy

You are kinda silly cool wink
Re: 'Igbo People Started Gay in Nigeria They Started it Before Colonization-Lady Say by oglalasioux(m): 5:57pm On Feb 20, 2018
vladimiros:
Actually the story is true

My Igbo friend who is also a historian on Igbo history told me it was called " the female husbands "

What it was , was an agreement between 2 women to live together

If they wanted a a child, the "female husband" would take a permission from the clan to have sex with a man, and when the child is born, he would bear the last name of the "female husband"

Igbo society did not have Christianity then, so nobody cared about 2 women living together and raising kids..

This practice was stopped after Christianity entered Igbo land..

You people should read up on old Nigerian ways of life...its intriguing

Your friend is right but he or she didn't tell you only women without a male child or who lost their male children before they could marry do this. Old and rich spinsters also do this so someone can inherit their wealth.

Male children are very important in the Igbo society and that's why first daughters, whom their fathers didn't have a male child, usually stay back and bear male children for their fathers before getting married.

This has nothing to do with being gay.

1 Like

Re: 'Igbo People Started Gay in Nigeria They Started it Before Colonization-Lady Say by Nobody: 5:59pm On Feb 20, 2018
chynie:
2 women living together does not connote lesbianism
lesbianism is 2 women trying to or attempting to having sexual intercourse/relationship

Do you then subscribe to women marrying each other, basing the orientation of their marriage on this Igbo culture as long as they aint having sex with each other? And how do we know that those who practiced such in Igbo culture in the past were not into 'AWON TIKA BODI' and 'LADI-LADI' (lesbianism)? Perhaps lesbianism was only in its inception stage then and have not evolved to what it is today.
Re: 'Igbo People Started Gay in Nigeria They Started it Before Colonization-Lady Say by khiaa(f): 2:00am On Feb 21, 2018
donstan18:

Thought as much, had to play along cheesy

You are kinda silly cool wink

What is the Nigerian definition of silly?
Re: 'Igbo People Started Gay in Nigeria They Started it Before Colonization-Lady Say by donstan18: 7:56am On Feb 21, 2018
khiaa:

What is the Nigerian definition of silly?

Maybe I used the wrong word.

Silly v'got a general definition which isn't positive atall.

But I never meant the "Silly" I typed, I should have used naughty, tongue

it's just that in Nigeria, one can jokingly call you stupid or mad without meaning it, I doubt if it's done that way therein. cheesy
Re: 'Igbo People Started Gay in Nigeria They Started it Before Colonization-Lady Say by khiaa(f): 8:01am On Feb 21, 2018
donstan18:

Maybe I used the wrong word.

Silly v'got a general definition which isn't positive atall.

But I never meant the "Silly" I typed, I should have used naughty, tongue

it's just that in Nigeria, one can jokingly call you stupid or mad without meaning it, I doubt if it's done that way therein. cheesy

Yeah, that's what I thought. In Nigeria, silly means stupid and is taken as an insult, but in America silly means to be playful, funny, like a comedian. We don't take silly as being a negative or an insult, just endearing.
Re: 'Igbo People Started Gay in Nigeria They Started it Before Colonization-Lady Say by donstan18: 8:08am On Feb 21, 2018
khiaa:

Yeah, that's what I thought. In Nigeria silly means stupid but in America silly means, to be playful, funny. Like a comedian. We don't take silly as being a negative or insult, just endearing.

For real? so cool cool

Was thinking you picked an offense, hence asking the definition of silly in Nigeria cheesy

Well, it's cool I perfected in fixing the right word, tongue

Tell, how you?
Re: 'Igbo People Started Gay in Nigeria They Started it Before Colonization-Lady Say by khiaa(f): 8:13am On Feb 21, 2018
donstan18:

For real? so cool cool

Was thinking you picked an offense, hence asking the definition of silly in Nigeria cheesy

Tell, how you?
Re: 'Igbo People Started Gay in Nigeria They Started it Before Colonization-Lady Say by khiaa(f): 8:33am On Feb 21, 2018
donstan18:

For real? so cool cool

Tell, how you?

You said nothing offensive to me. How was your day?
Re: 'Igbo People Started Gay in Nigeria They Started it Before Colonization-Lady Say by donstan18: 8:48am On Feb 21, 2018
khiaa:

You said nothing offensive to me. How was your day?
Lol, just woke, had a to sleep, getting ready to kick for the day kiss
You?, done for the day?
Re: 'Igbo People Started Gay in Nigeria They Started it Before Colonization-Lady Say by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 5:11pm On May 11, 2018
Nutase:
Stop trying to justify GAYism by lying. The two women never had sex like we experience in lesbianism today. It was more of a mother - daughter relationship.

I have done an extensive study on these cultures. It was only practiced by widows or elderly women qho had attained menopause without bearing a male offspring. The igbos placed so much value ob having a male child hence the older lady was allowed to take a wife for her husband - dead or alive-The younger ladies duty was to keep the family name alive by bearing a male child for the older lady. Sometimes the older lady even used one of her own daughters to achieve this.

Exactly.
Also a way of protecting young unmarried females from the depredations of males in the community
Re: 'Igbo People Started Gay in Nigeria They Started it Before Colonization-Lady Say by Josh64(m): 6:11pm On May 11, 2018
They are all wrong! It started in the north well before Islam came to the region. I did a thesis on the topic.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

'you Look Familiar'-guys Please Stop Using This Line. / 10 Wife Duties To Avoid With Boyfriends / I Was Almost Arrested For Romancing My Babe In Shoprite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.