Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief (10252 Views)

Atheism: A Religion With No God / What Is Atheism? / Is Atheism Gaining Ground? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by butterflyl1on: 7:35pm On Feb 28, 2018
DeSepiero:

If an atheist doubts that there's God, must he prove that there's no God?

If I doubt that you own a Bugatti, must I prove to you that you don't own one?

You are confusing yourself. An atheist does not doubt that there is a God. An atheists declares there is no God or gods. That is an assertion and not an issue of doubt. To an atheist this is a fact and not just an issue of doubt.

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by Emusan(m): 7:41pm On Feb 28, 2018
DeSepiero:

If God wants an atheist to believe in God, God will provide evidence and convince the atheist.

Now it boils down to this. If God should give Atheists an evidence, shouldn't there be a way/method/procedure the evidence will come through so that the atheists will know for sure.

If the theist wants an atheist to believe in God, the theist will provide evidence and convince the atheist.

And they have been doing that.

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by Swagzlord01(m): 7:44pm On Feb 28, 2018
the only reason why there is atheist is because some people have been over fed and they wouldn't understand what another man is going through... just a week starvation will bring an atheist back to his /her senses
Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by Gggg102(m): 7:51pm On Feb 28, 2018
DeSepiero:

If an atheist doubts that there's God, must he prove that there's no God?

If I doubt that you own a Bugatti, must I prove to you that you don't own one?

if you doubt I own a Bugatti, you are only expressing an opinion. if you know I don't own a Bugatti it is a fact you know. if you believe I do not I've a Bugatti you are taking an assertive stance and you can go out in public and shout out to the world I Don't have one.

if atheist doubt the existence of god, they can't prove his inexistence. they only feel it is highly unlikely that he exist. that does not change the fact of his existence or inexistence.

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by Gggg102(m): 7:53pm On Feb 28, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
so one can reject their existence due to lack of evidence, right?

yes, but that does not mean he doesn't exist if he does

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by DeSepiero(m): 7:57pm On Feb 28, 2018
butterflyl1on:

You are confusing yourself. An atheist does not doubt that there is a God. An atheists declares there is no God or gods. That is an assertion and not an issue of doubt. To an atheist this is a fact and not just an issue of doubt.

I'm not confused.
Whenever you meet an atheist that knows and asserts that there's NO god, ask such for his reasons (evidence).
Whenever you meet an atheist that doubts the existence of god, convince such with your evidence if you know that god is.
Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by butterflyl1on: 8:00pm On Feb 28, 2018
DeSepiero:

I'm not confused.
Whenever you meet an atheist that knows and asserts that there's NO god, ask such for his reasons (evidence).
Whenever you meet an atheist that doubts the existence of god, convince such with your evidence if you know that god is.

an atheist cannot doubt the existence of God. An atheist knows that God does not exist.

Anyone who doubts is known as an agnostic and agnostic atheism is simply a ridiculous position to have as it makes no sense at all.

It is an oxymoron.

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by hopefulLandlord: 8:00pm On Feb 28, 2018
Gggg102:

yes, but that does not mean he doesn't exist if he does

so what seems to be your issue with atheists rejecting the god hypothesis?

They reject the god hypothesis same way you reject the Blue Space Monkeys that float around Adelbaran hypothesis

I don't see what you're getting at here

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by butterflyl1on: 8:04pm On Feb 28, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

They reject the god hypothesis same way you reject the Blue Space Monkeys that float around Adelbaran hypothesis

What he is getting at is that your rejection of God or gods does not prove anything. It is simply your opinion and not a position of truth. It may be factual to you but not necessarily true in reality because by simply rejecting this means there is already something which you rejected so that is a false position that proves a positive despite your rejection.
Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by Gggg102(m): 8:04pm On Feb 28, 2018
chemystery:

In this analogy, winning 2 million naira is a proven possibility. Bayo might have seen proof of others winning 2 million naira. In this case, Bayo might have doubt but won't rule out the possibility even without john providing any evidence.

What of a case where John told Bayo that David's DVD player was just dispensing original naira notes worth up to 2 million. Here, Bayo will express doubt and will rule out every possibility until john provides and evidence. In fact, Bayo will even have more doubt if John actually didn't see it happen, instead was told by David's neighbour

language plays a delicate role here.

if Bayo rules out every possibility of it happening, it means Bayo believes it never happened and can make an affirmative statement about it not happening.

if Bayo does not believe it happened, it still leaves a possibility of that John's statement to be true.
Bayo can only demand for proof and disprove false evidence.
if John does not convince Bayo, Bayo can dismiss the claim.
although Bayo cannot claim John's statement is untrue except he changes his position from 'I don't believe it's true' to 'I believe it is not true' or 'I know it is not true'

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by butterflyl1on: 8:06pm On Feb 28, 2018
Gggg102:

if Bayo rules out every possibility of it happening, it means Bayo believes it never happened and can make an affirmative statement about it not happening.

if Bayo does not believe it happened, it still leaves a possibility of that John's statement to be true.
although Bayo cannot claim John's statement is untrue except he changes his position from 'I don't believe it's true' to 'I believe it is not true' or 'I know it is not true'

Guy you dey burst my kidney for here. grin

Thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by Gggg102(m): 8:09pm On Feb 28, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

my point is that you can't really argue on God's inexistence from an atheist p. o. v.

you can't assert anything if you do not believe only.

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by DeSepiero(m): 8:12pm On Feb 28, 2018
Emusan:

Now it boils down to this. If God should give Atheists an evidence, shouldn't there be a way/method/procedure the evidence will come through so that the atheists will know for sure.

And they have been doing that.

"If God should give atheists evidence..." that's gonna be a whole new argument because the nature of god comes into the question. I'm always indifferent in this case.

If God exists and is all powerful, and wants everyone to believe in it, will that be impossible?
Your query questions the nature of God.
Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by hopefulLandlord: 8:14pm On Feb 28, 2018
Gggg102:

my point is that you can't really argue on God's inexistence from an atheist p. o. v.

you can't assert anything if you do not believe only.

Of course I can! just like a theist an argue his imaginary friend's existence from his own p.o.v

You're saying my rejection of god (whatever you define as that) hypothesis doesn't stop the hypothesis being true and I'm agreeing with that just like your accepting the god hypothesis doesn't stop the hypothesis being false

Replace "god" there with "Blue Space Monkeys" if you like and its still pertinent

I see no issue here or what exactly is your point?

3 Likes

Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by butterflyl1on: 8:17pm On Feb 28, 2018
DeSepiero:

"If God should give atheists evidence..." that's gonna be a whole new argument because the nature of god comes into the question. I'm always indifferent in this case.

If God exists and is all powerful, and wants everyone to believe in it, will that be impossible?
Your query questions the nature of God.

His query does not question the nature of God it rather shows the impossible nature of atheists when it comes to proof. Because once one says there is no God then why still seek for evidence of this God who has already been declared inexistent?
Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by butterflyl1on: 8:20pm On Feb 28, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Of course I can! just like a theist an argue his imaginary friend's existence from his own p.o.v

You're saying my rejection of god (whatever you define as that) hypothesis doesn't stop the hypothesis being true and I'm agreeing with that just like your accepting the god hypothesis doesn't stop the hypothesis being false

Replace "god" there with "Blue Space Monkeys" if you like and its still pertinent

grin grin

Just in case you did not notice, you just said that the existence of God could be possible and your rejection of God does not mean he does not exist so since this is the case all along why do you then Still try to assert that God does not exist if you actually held this position?

Double standard?

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by Seun(m): 8:22pm On Feb 28, 2018
If a person continues to post wrong information after he has been corrected many times, at some point we have to assume that it is deliberate.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by Gggg102(m): 8:23pm On Feb 28, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

a theist can argue because to him, is position is factual. he asserts that there is god.

if an atheist had an assertive stance like 'I believe there is no god ', he can argue from his position.

but the atheist stand is 'I do not believe there is god' he can't argue from such position.
Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by butterflyl1on: 8:24pm On Feb 28, 2018
Seun:
If a person continues to post wrong information after he has been corrected many times, at some point we have to assume that it is deliberate.

Where is the wrong information?

Are you an atheist or an agnostic or the oxymoron known as an agnostic atheist?

What you call wrong information would be dependant on which of the three you are and this would explain how you view his comment.
Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by DeSepiero(m): 8:26pm On Feb 28, 2018
butterflyl1on:

an atheist cannot doubt the existence of God. An atheist knows that God does not exist.

Anyone who doubts is known as an agnostic and agnostic atheism is simply a ridiculous position to have as it makes no sense at all.

It is an oxymoron.

Fine, your opinion is noted.
Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by chemystery: 8:26pm On Feb 28, 2018
Gggg102:

I don't want to be arguing over your invented analogies from already conceived misconception.
The fact is that those who claim there are gods have no single evidence to back up their claim. No one has seen these gods or interact with them. We are only left to belief those who claimed they have were actually telling the truth. And the default position to hold when there is no evidence for any claim is the negative. If for instance I tell you there is a substance named bnmki, will your default position be that there actually exists such substance until someone proves otherwise or will it be that there is no such substance until I (the claimant) proves or convinces you there is?

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by DeSepiero(m): 8:32pm On Feb 28, 2018
butterflyl1on:

His query does not question the nature of God it rather shows the impossible nature of atheists when it comes to proof. Because once one says there is no God then why still seek for evidence of this God who has already been declared inexistent?

The nature of atheists shouldn't be impossible for God. Should it?
Now, that's a question on God's nature.
Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by butterflyl1on: 8:32pm On Feb 28, 2018
chemystery:

I don't want to be arguing over your invented analogies from already conceived misconception.
The fact is that those who claim there are gods have no single evidence to back up their claim. No one have seen these gods or interact with them. We are only left to belief those who claimed they have were actually telling the truth. And the default position to hold when there is no evidence for any claim is the negative. If for instance I tell you there is a substance named bnmki, will your default position be that there actually exists such substance until someone proves isn't or will it be that there is no such substance until I (the claimant) proves or convinces you there is?

What you have is not a default position. It is a deliberate shift. There is a difference.

A default position is not a position you take knowingly it is an position you have no control over like an automatic switch you just revert to that. This is not what atheists do.

Atheists ON THEIR OWN and IN THEIR OWN MAKING, reject the assertion that there is God so this rejection means that they Assert that there is no God.

It's not a default position so stop with the word play. It's a choice they consciously made and despite making such an assertion that there is no God, why then do they or should they still seek evidence for him?
Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by butterflyl1on: 8:34pm On Feb 28, 2018
DeSepiero:

The nature of atheists shouldn't be impossible for God. Should it?
Now, that's a question on God's nature.

The nature of atheists make themselves separate from God since God only deals with those who genuinely seek him and not those who say he is not even there to begin with so this speaks of an atheists impossible nature.
Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by hopefulLandlord: 8:34pm On Feb 28, 2018
Gggg102:

a theist can argue because to him, is position is factual. he asserts that there is god.

if an atheist had an assertive stance like 'I believe there is no god ', he can argue from his position.

but the atheist stand is 'I do not believe there is god' he can't argue from such position.

This sounds like meaningless wordgames

Of course I can argue from such a position too! by countering whatever arguments is brought forward from the theist's side, isn't that what we do here? theists bring their bullsheet arguments for the existence of their imaginary friend and we counter it?

It seems to me that you're just pulling watered down solipsism
Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by DeSepiero(m): 8:37pm On Feb 28, 2018
butterflyl1on:

The nature of atheists make themselves separate from God since God only deals with those who genuinely seek him and not those who say he is not even there to begin with so this speaks of an atheists impossible nature.

Well, that's your idea of God which is not to be taken as fact.

2 Likes

Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by chemystery: 8:43pm On Feb 28, 2018
butterflyl1on:

What you have is not a default position. It is a deliberate shift. There is a difference.

A default position is not a position you take knowingly it is an position you have no control over like an automatic switch you just revert to that. This is not what atheists do.

Atheists ON THEIR OWN and IN THEIR OWN MAKING, reject the assertion that there is God so this rejection means that they Assert that there is no God.

It's not a default position so stop with the word play. It's a choice they consciously made and despite making such an assertion that there is no God, why then do they or should they still seek evidence for him?

How did you know these? Have you been an atheist before? Oh I forgot! NightWisp grin

"If a person continues to post wrong information after he has been corrected many times, at some point we have to assume that it is deliberate"
-- Seun
Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by Gggg102(m): 8:43pm On Feb 28, 2018
chemystery:

The fact is that those who claim there are gods have no single evidence to back up their claim. No one has seen these gods or interact with them. We are only left to belief those who claimed they have were actually telling the truth. And the default position to hold when there is no evidence for any claim is the negative. If for instance I tell you there is a substance named bnmki, will your default position be that there actually exists such substance until someone proves otherwise or will it be that there is no such substance until I (the claimant) proves or convinces you there is?

even if all religions are scams, that in itself does not disprove god.

an argument for god existence is not limited to religion.

the atheist have no claim since they only don't believe.

you can't prove a no claim.

the atheist position if really they do not believe god's existence is that of sitting on a fence

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by Gggg102(m): 8:48pm On Feb 28, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

This sounds like meaningless wordgames

Of course I can argue from such a position too! by countering whatever arguments is brought forward from the theist's side, isn't that what we do here? theists bring their bullsheet arguments for the existence of their imaginary friend and we counter it?

It seems to me that you're just pulling watered down solipsism

if you counter all the claims in earth, you still don't prove god's existence.

if I say on a round earth, water will be heavier than steel. will you say the earth is not round because water is not heavier than steel?

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by hopefulLandlord: 8:51pm On Feb 28, 2018
Gggg102:

if you counter all the claims in earth, you still don't prove god's existence.

Just like if you provide all the claims on earth you still don't prove god's existence

if I say on a round earth, water will be heavier than steel. will you say the earth is not round because water is not heavier than steel?
I don't see how this is germane at all
Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by hopefulLandlord: 8:53pm On Feb 28, 2018
double post
Re: Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief by hopefulLandlord: 8:54pm On Feb 28, 2018
This is disappointing as I had high hopes for this thread due to a short discussion I had with OP today on another thread

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Apostle Johnson Suleman Prays Against Those Buying Arms And Sponsoring Killings / CONFIRMED: Biblical Queen Sheba Died And Buried In Nigeria (PHOTOS) / Why Once Saved Always Saved Is Not A License To Sin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.