Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,163 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:13 AM

Why Are Yoruba Men Called Yoruba Demon? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Are Yoruba Men Called Yoruba Demon? (1811 Views)

Yoruba Demon Turned Yoruba Angel - "Guys Can You Pass This Test?" / Yoruba Demon Keeps Lady Waiting On A Date And Gleefully Watches / Twitter Users Crowned This Guy As The Face Of Yoruba Demon For This Act (READ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Yoruba Men Called Yoruba Demon? by ortakida: 1:19pm On Mar 03, 2018
This question was asked on Quora, and I felt Toyin Olamide Obire gave the most interesting answer to it. I shared it here for that sake. I hope you like it...

Who is a Yoruba Demon?

He lies down flat on the floor in his fancy suit just to tell your aunt good evening because he is trained to do so for anyone who is more than one hour older than he is, but you don't know this. You imagine how he will greet your parents…

He immediately starts to call your parents mummy and daddy because that's what he and all of his friends call each other's parents; even the unwed and childless twenty-something year old youth pastor at his parents' church is called Daddy by church members, but you don't know this either. Instead, you think: he already sees them as his parents-in-law!

When he visits you at home, it is never without gifts for you, your parents, your siblings, your gateman and your pet dog (if you still live with them) because woe betide him if he visits his own mom, uncles, aunts and sisters empty-handed; he’s wired to buy gifts with every visit, but you think he is so thoughtful.

He introduces you to his sisters who treat you like their own sister, call you Iyawo and put you on their family Aso-ebi lists. Guilty here. But I really thought it was going somewhere.

He attends and plays prominent roles at your distant relations' weddings without complaining: he has undergone years of training in this area from accompanying his mom to weddings of kinsmen that he has never heard of and knows firsthand the futility of saying no to invitations to such events.

He’s been wearing his traditional Agbada to occasions and events long before he could walk or talk; it has always been a part of him, but you swoon over what you see as his fantastic sense of style. Everybody asks when you two will be tying the knot and he smiles politely while shrugging it off inwardly; no big deal here as all of his mom’s friends who have daughters have jokingly asked him the same question before, starting from when he was a child. He's extremely courteous, caring and very protective of you…

…but he acts surprised when you too start getting territorial and wonders why you are shocked that he is getting married to someone else tomorrow.

Hence, Yoruba demonsmiley

That caring and well-behaved persona isn't always a facade that is designed to deceive, though. Thanks to my mom, my three brothers can prostrate for the world and will rush to help the neighbourhood Agege bread seller carry her bread palette on their own heads simply because “mummy likes her.”

Many Yoruba men treat their mothers with a lot of respect. They tend to treat the women in their lives with the same deference; even those that young people call side chicks get the same special treatment. Many ladies (usually those that are not of Yoruba extraction) interpret their extreme dedication as love but it is just your average Yoruba man being himself. He's overly respectful like that with everybody.

https://africanjotter.com.ng/yoruba-men-called-yoruba-demon/

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba Men Called Yoruba Demon? by Tajbol4splend(m): 1:30pm On Mar 03, 2018
I can't skim something meaningful, I see phrases that don't bond to any meaningful end

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Yoruba Men Called Yoruba Demon? by ortakida: 1:34pm On Mar 03, 2018
Tajbol4splend:
I can't skim something meaningful, I see phrases that don't bond to any meaningful end

She describes some traits that quite a lot of Yoruba people have, to explain why ladies easily misunderstand their behaviour or fall for it.

In a nut shell, Yoruba culture has a tendency to turn guys into players...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba Men Called Yoruba Demon? by Tajbol4splend(m): 1:38pm On Mar 03, 2018
ortakida:

She describes some traits that quite a lot of Yoruba people have, to explain why ladies easily misunderstand their behaviour or fall for it.

In a nut shell, Yoruba culture has a tendency to turn guys into players...

If that's the case, then OP didn't do her homework well

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba Men Called Yoruba Demon? by ortakida: 1:42pm On Mar 03, 2018
Tajbol4splend:

If that's the case, then OP didn't do her homework well

Why do you say so?
Re: Why Are Yoruba Men Called Yoruba Demon? by Tajbol4splend(m): 1:46pm On Mar 03, 2018
ortakida:

Why do you say so?

There are too many facts in the post that depend on individuals and not necessarily customary of Yorubas
Re: Why Are Yoruba Men Called Yoruba Demon? by checkedout: 2:20pm On Mar 03, 2018
Yorubas has it more

Tajbol4splend:

There are too many facts in the post that depend on individuals and not necessarily customary of Yorubas
Re: Why Are Yoruba Men Called Yoruba Demon? by Tajbol4splend(m): 2:24pm On Mar 03, 2018
checkedout:
Yorubas has it more

But some other non Yorubas have it, huh?
Re: Why Are Yoruba Men Called Yoruba Demon? by checkedout: 2:26pm On Mar 03, 2018
Tajbol4splend:

But some other non Yorubas have it, huh?

sure
Re: Why Are Yoruba Men Called Yoruba Demon? by Tajbol4splend(m): 2:54pm On Mar 03, 2018
checkedout:

sure

Then OP should not attach it to Yorubas
Re: Why Are Yoruba Men Called Yoruba Demon? by dbynonetwork: 4:51pm On Mar 04, 2018
Yorubas are called demons because of their love for human part minning.... The Yoruba demons from OGUN state are the worst, those ones can betray the trust their family members have for them, Slaughtering a family member is just like preparing a pot of AMALA n EWEDU soup for breakfast..
Re: Why Are Yoruba Men Called Yoruba Demon? by ImaIma1(f): 6:04pm On Mar 04, 2018
Is professing love and falling in love serially part of their upbringing too?
Re: Why Are Yoruba Men Called Yoruba Demon? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Mar 04, 2018
Funny How Every Yoruba Dick, Harry and Johnbull Want To Be Called Yoruba demon...

Even The Ones That Cause A long Stare With Their Ugliness... Any Way You Can Still Call Them Demons Too. Only Demons Can Be That Ugly

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yoruba Men Called Yoruba Demon? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Mar 04, 2018
dbynonetwork:
Yorubas are called demons because of their love for human part minning.... The Yoruba demons from OGUN state are the worst, those ones can betray the trust their family members have for them, Slaughtering a family member is just like preparing a pot of AMALA n EWEDU soup for breakfast..
You mean those that kill their parents in the east right?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Guys: 7 Reasons Why You Don't Need To Be Intimidated By A Lady's Appearance / Sad Truth: I Won't Be Able To Change My Ways Unless My Mum Dies / A Young Boy Flogs A Masquerade That Assaulted Him In Calabar. See reactions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.