Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,435 members, 7,812,294 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House - TV/Movies (272) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House (288646 Views)

Games Of Thrones: House Of The Dragon Official Discussion Thread / Nigerians Storm Gotv Facebook Page Over WWE / Rachel Johnson Goes Topless On Live TV Show During Brexit Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) ... (298) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:55am On Oct 12, 2022
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Bron the Revenge
Bron Breakker isn’t a man who forgives or forgets. After his opening match with Javier Bernal—which wasn’t really much to talk about—Bron found himself in a stare down with JD McDonagh and Ilja Dragunov. Anything with these three involved turns physical, so of course JD threw the first blow by headbutting Ilja. Ilja then nailed Bron with a headbutt of his own, which seemed accidental but we never got an answer. Why? Glad you asked.
Ilja decided he had enough for the night and ran into Grayson Waller while leaving the building. Grayson interrupted Ilja’s interview so, we never got an answer on his earlier intentions, but I mean, it also didn’t matter. Whether he meant to hit JD or not, he hit Bron. Meaning it was only a matter of time before Bron got a small measure of payback.
Waller talked himself into a match with Dragunov, and it was another solid match. Waller looked woefully outmatched at first, but eventually found his footing through squirming out of a few holds and just being a slimy bastard. Dragunov didn’t seem distracted with Bron lurking. Maybe he forgot about him because Waller is just that annoying and has that effect on people. But all that changed in the third act.
Waller found an opening and went for his patented stunner. But while on the entryway, the lights went out and the wheel spun. By itself. That weirdness spooked Waller enough and gave Ilja a second wind. He reversed Waller’s stunner into a beautiful German suplex. Eventually, that was all she wrote for Waller.
Oh and Bron? He showed up with a spear for Dragunov and posed for the crowd while JD’s weird ass sat in the audience and clapped.
Clearly we needed some animosity between Bron and Dragunov, as that also plays into JD’s hands. But it also makes for a more interesting match. It’s not the greatest story ever told but it’s effective.

Extracurriculars
No Tricks, Just Treats
Nathan Frazer and Axiom put on a hell of a show this week. Their third match in their best of three delivered more than the previous two. Maybe because the winner gets a shot at the North American championship at Halloween Havoc. Maybe because after two matches together, both men just know each other better and their chemistry is at its boiling point. Either way, these two got incredibly physical, applied plenty of counters, took at least one very nasty bump, and wrestled every single style possible. They got plenty of time and every single second well deserved.
In moments like this I just go with the obvious: Watch the match.

Here Comes New Challengers...
Edris Enofe & Malik Blade came a long way. From getting put together as a team to being two guys lusting after Mandy Rose, to getting labeled as underachievers. Now? They’re contenders.
The triple threat match between them, Briggs & Jensen, and The Dyad was another gem this week. It was typically chaotic but it told an interesting story as well. At least as it relates to Enofe & Blade and The Dyad. For the former, it was all about developing a serious attitude towards winning. As the match continued, that showed itself right up to the point they got the three count.
For the latter, it involved Cameron Grimes and Joe Gacy. Gacy got physical and interfered. Right when it looked like the Dyad had a W in hand, Grimes came out of nowhere with a Cave-In to Gacy. He followed that with distracting the Dyad, leading to a roll up victory for Enofe & Blade.
Pretty Deadly looked on as their next challengers celebrated this milestone. Halloween Havoc just gets better.

Mandy’s Surprise
Alba Fyre defeated Jacy Jayne but that’s not the story here. While Alba celebrated, a hand grabbed her from the crowd. Turns out that hand belonged to Sonya Deville. Toxic Attraction mentioned a surprise for Alba and it turns out, that was Sonya. The three women beat the tar out of Alba, and dropped her through the commentary table. Mandy’s best friend has her back, which is really cool storytelling.
Sonya Deville is in NXT at least for a little. How will Alba Fyre respond?

Wes Lee Has a New Partner
Wes Lee and Stacks wrestled this week in an okay match. Nothing awful since both guys can go, but, as usual with a lot of NXT matches, it needed more time. Wes got the win because of course he did and it’s the right call.
Post match beatdown happened courtesy of Carmelo Hayes & Trick Williams. Oro Mensah made the save, which revitalized Wes. Seems like a tag match is on the horizon and Lee may finally have a new partner.

Indi Wrestling
Valentina Feroz wrestled Indi Hartwell this week in a small showcase. This match seemed built around Indi and putting a little muscle behind her. She looked powerful but Valentina keeps showing potential. Indi finishing the match with a powerful suplex was all about her strength. So, yeah, like I said, make Indi look strong.

NXT was solid. Sonya Deville was the biggest moment of the night and adds another wrinkle to Toxic Attraction, which is needed at this point.

Solid show.

Grade: B
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 4:22pm On Oct 12, 2022
pu7pl3:

Lmaooo, you're calling WWE hall of famers and people nobody knows...
But when it's WWE you say it's only Austin.
Please rest.
toor I go rest.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:56pm On Oct 12, 2022
ValeeLove:
toor I go rest.

Thank you.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 8:05am On Oct 13, 2022
pu7pl3:

Thank you.
no need to. You will still complain that RAW is boring you again. Meanwhile I'm here spitting facts and being sent to undue vacations as a result. Na bad thing to talk true?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:35am On Oct 13, 2022
ValeeLove:
no need to. You will still complain that RAW is boring you again. Meanwhile I'm here spitting facts and being sent to undue vacations as a result. Na bad thing to talk true?

grin grin cheesy
I only told you to rest cos you were being biased to AEW. Keep spitting those facts but don't be biased bruh.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 1:21pm On Oct 13, 2022
pu7pl3:

grin grin cheesy
I only told you to rest cos you were being biased to AEW. Keep spitting those facts but don't be biased bruh.
I'm not being biased to AEW. I do prefer them to WWE cos they are more sportlike, but their boss is an amateur(and I'm not taking away his successes so far). Still even with that they look like they've got more hope at creating future stars than WWE can and I made the point clearer with my example, you just didn't understand. That's still cool.
Meanwhile they should stop treating Theory like trash, someone said he probably angered someone at the back, which sounds logical because immediately Vince left it was like night and day and it all went down for the promising young lad thereon. Abi you wan say you no notice the difference for him booking? They still have time to do the right thing, but youthfulness doesn't last forever sha.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 1:23pm On Oct 13, 2022
Roman Reigns: I'm the head of the table.
The Rock: I'm the real head of the table.
Logan Paul: ...I AM THE TABLE.

Never gets old.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:24pm On Oct 13, 2022
ValeeLove:
I'm not being biased to AEW. I do prefer them to WWE cos they are more sportlike, but their boss is an amateur(and I'm not taking away his successes so far). Still even with that they look like they've got more hope at creating future stars than WWE can and I made the point clearer with my example, you just didn't understand. That's still cool.
Meanwhile they should stop treating Theory like trash, someone said he probably angered someone at the back, which sounds logical because immediately Vince left it was like night and day and it all went down for the promising young lad thereon. Abi you wan say you no notice the difference for him booking? They still have time to do the right thing, but youthfulness doesn't last forever sha.

I don't enjoy arguing about these things so I'll just agree with you.
Let's watch and see tho.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 11:07am On Oct 15, 2022
I've been trying to post SMACKDOWN REVIEWS but it's not posting...looks like you guys will have to watch it yourselves.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 5:05pm On Oct 16, 2022
BREAKING NEWS

No Day1 PLE next year.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:49pm On Oct 16, 2022
grin

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 8:57am On Oct 17, 2022
pu7pl3:
grin
we'll keep on going back the same circle.
Give him a gimmick = Failure
Let him be himself = Success
The Ezekiel gimmick/character didn't do him much favor did it? And we saw people hyping it everywhere. Very annoying.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:41am On Oct 17, 2022
ValeeLove:
we'll keep on going back the same circle.
Give him a gimmick = Failure
Let him be himself = Success
The Ezekiel gimmick/character didn't do him much favor did it? And we saw people hyping it everywhere. Very annoying.

Lol, you can't say the character did him no favours, a stagnancy arose quite alright....
Infact it's true sha.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 11:09am On Oct 17, 2022
pu7pl3:

Lol, you can't say the character did him no favours, a stagnancy arose quite alright....
Infact it's true sha.
now he's back to stagnancy, or insignificance. That's the point people don't get about these gimmicks, they do more harm than good. It's like a catchy ad for a bad product, it'll get eyes for a short term until people discover the truth behind the actual product. It's better you don't do it at all. You'll get a quick burst of success then you're back lower than you were before. Look at Alexa Bliss now. How much did they make from the sister Abigail gimmick and how much are they spending to make people take her serious again? I hope one day people get it. A successful gimmick can never equal a successful wrestler.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:36pm On Oct 17, 2022
ValeeLove:
now he's back to stagnancy, or insignificance. That's the point people don't get about these gimmicks, they do more harm than good. It's like a catchy ad for a bad product, it'll get eyes for a short term until people discover the truth behind the actual product. It's better you don't do it at all. You'll get a quick burst of success then you're back lower than you were before. Look at Alexa Bliss now. How much did they make from the sister Abigail gimmick and how much are they spending to make people take her serious again? I hope one day people get it. A successful gimmick can never equal a successful wrestler.

I can't even argue anymore cos these points are solid and credible...
Let's see how much pro wrestling can evolve sha.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:04pm On Oct 17, 2022
pu7pl3:

I can't even argue anymore cos these points are solid and credible...
Let's see how much pro wrestling can evolve sha.
it can, but will WWE(the industry leader) do something? So it doesn't feel like I'm attacking WWE, look at Orange Cassidy. Check AEW's top viewed YouTube videos, there are either Orange Cassidy or Orange Cassidy related(check now if you think I'm lying). I saw this a year ago or so, it's amazing. This was because OC carried himself like a big star, could wrestle, but the main gist was his GIMMICK. The first time I saw it I was feeling nauseous. It was absolutely ridiculous. But I watched cos I was curious, in other words I watched for the wrong reasons(exactly why anyone watches a gimmick). He was getting crowd reactions and eventually got a world title match at a PPV(Double Or Nothing). The sky was his limit, right? Wrong. Where is Orange Cassidy today? When last was Orange Cassidy in a big match? They tried to bring him out of catering for a match with Will Ospreay. There's no direction for him because all that made him big was a gimmick, a joke, a quick burst of popularity and now it's going and soon will be gone. They are desperately trying to salvage his situation by making him an insignificant champ.
What's CM Punk's gimmick? What's FTR's gimmick? What's Bryan's gimmick? What's MJF's gimmick. These guys are on top for a reason. They have less to no gimmicks. From now you should know that the New Vicious Viking Raiders are going no where. Even Bray's gimmick goes nowhere(I'm glad he's more human now). We gotta evolve but it starts by telling ourselves the truth and that's the fact that professional wrestling has a flawed history.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:07am On Oct 18, 2022
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Everyone Wants to be the Champ
With no end in sight to both WWE heavyweight championships residing on the Island of Relevancy, thee United States championship is clearly the main belt now. Yes, Bobby Lashley carried it beautifully, but the spotlight felt brighter and hotter this week. Mostly because of the sheer number of contestants aiming for Seth Rollins’ neck. Those of you reading beyond this section get a little more backstory on one of those challengers in Mustafa Ali, but there’s also Matt Riddle, of course, and now...Elias.
Riddle and Rollins are great together. That type of feud with that much animosity is only sweeter with a belt involved. Their match this week showed the less fight pits involved, the better. Elias played spoiler, as the man returned tonight with his sights set on performing a concert. But people kept interrupting. First Riddle, a self-professed fan, and then Rollins just because he’s Rollins. They teased a little tension between Elias and Riddle with the former a little annoyed that the latter stopped his show, which made more sense based on how Riddle’s match with Rollins ended.
Elias stayed ringside during the bout, putting blows to Rollins after the U.S. champ provoked him. Later in the match, Seth begged Elias to hit him for the DQ win. Seth always wants the easy way out when things get rough for him. He gave Rollins everything he had but nothing kept the original Bro down. So, yeah, ask Elias to snuff you in front of the ref and go home with your title. Elias didn’t bite so Seth superkicked him.
Riddle went to the outside, threw Seth back into the ring and looked like the new champ. Right up until the point Seth blocked the RKO and threw Riddle into Elias, who lost his temper and went straight for Seth. Seth won the match, curb stomped Elias for his troubles, and almost did the same to Riddle on top of the belt.
But then came Ali, who wanted revenge for Seth’s earlier actions, while promising that he’s now Seth’s problem.
A fun segment that promised a lot going forward. Elias and Riddle? Possibly. Elias and Seth? Also maybe. Ali and everyone? Definitely. And the stories are already there, with everyone’s sights focused on Rollins either now or in the not-too-distant future.
Sometimes this wrestling thing really is simple.

Extracurriculars
California Roll
The O.C. aka California defeated the Alpha Academy. Really liked seeing Gallows & Anderson back in the ring, but I knew the match didn’t matter. The California Boys’ main beef is with the Judgment Day. That’s what my money is for. I understand why showing them back in the ring against worthy opponents properly reintroduces them to the crowd, but again, that’s not where the juice is at the moment. A point underlined by the fact the Judgment Day showed up after the match and engaged in a little back and forth with their counterparts.
Long and short of their promos: Judgment Day vs. The O.C. at Crown Royal Jewel, Finn Balor thinks the Bullet Club stuff is played out (even though he definitely embraced it when he wanted AJ Styles on his side), and AJ challenged Dominik after having some very unkind words for the young Mysterio. As an aside, Rhea Ripley was the best in this segment. The absolute best. The way she looked at Dom, the way she flexed a bit when AJ called her their “mommy,” and doing her Lady Macbeth thing with Dom. Fantastic.
Before we even get to that, I’m very sad that Rey Mysterio is on SmackDown because now I don’t get to cover my favorite story in WWE. Also means, more than likely, that story is no longer a part of Raw, which is a huge loss for the red brand. Le sigh. This is why we can’t have nice things.

Who’s Your Mommy?
Dominik just gets better every week. He’s finding his legs as a smarmy punk smitten by a woman whom he has no idea how to handle, while getting better in the ring. AJ Styles was the perfect dance partner, which surprises no one. Like most matches on the night, it wasn’t a barnburner by any means but was a solid affair. Dom wrestles differently than his dad—as he should—using his quickness while also utilizing his length and reach. Oh, and of course some viciousness. His 619 still looks awkward because he’s not as quick as his dad, nor is he as short. While the move works from a character standpoint, it doesn’t quite pass the eye test. But that’s a minor quibble.
The bigger news here is Dom has a W over AJ. Rhea helped a lot, holding AJ’s foot and holding off his attack on her Dom, but it was just enough for Dom to get the surprise pin attempt. The JD has the advantage over The O.C. right now. And that’s cool for right now.

Timeout...
Normally something like this isn’t that high, but I’m mildly annoyed. Dexter Lumis and Miz didn’t wrestle this week. You know, the match for Dexter’s contract? Well, here’s the thing: Why does Dexter have theme music and an entrance video if he doesn’t have a contract? I’m not a lawyer nor do I play one on tv, but that doesn’t quite add up. During Dexter’s full entrance with music and a video, Miz beat him down with a chair, meaning we’re getting at least another week of this.
Johnny Gargano said there’s something Miz isn’t telling us about his relationship with Dexter. Cool, Johnny Wrestling. Cool.

The Beast is Wounded
Bobby Lashley started Raw this week in a mood. The man didn’t even wait for the intro or any pleasantries. He wanted Brock Lesnar and yes, he got Brock Lesnar. Brock cost Lashley his United States championship last week, so Lashley attacked Lesnar before the man got good and settled. Lashley speared Lesnar through the barricade and then flattened him through the commentary table. Love when Raw starts hot like this. Love it more when it makes a wrestler look dangerous, competent, and true to their word.
For any upcoming match between the two to work, Lesnar must look beatable by someone not named Roman Reigns. Lesnar laid out on debris while clutching his arm and in pain accomplishes that goal.

ALI!
Look, I’m just happy Ali is doing an important thing on television. Seth Rollins came out for his own celebratory sh*t talking session. Mustafa Ali approached the ring and put a stop to all of that. Seth, seemingly breaking his obnoxiousness for a minute, told Ali how much he respects him and thinks he’s a dope wrestler. But the deal between Ali and Bobby Lashley is null and void since, well, he’s not Lashley. While giving Ali his props, Seth blindsided Ali! Ali fought back but he was no match at this particular juncture.
Seth and Ali for a title? Sign me up. Ali deserves all great things and this is a potentially great thing for him.

SHE’S USING HER!
Bayley is awesome on commentary. “She’s using her” comes from a moment in the tag match between Bianca Belair & Candice LeRae and Damage CNTRL where Bianca put Candice on her shoulders and used her partner as a weapon against her opponents. Perfect timing from Bayley that I’m still laughing about.
KAI-N-SKY, Belair, and Candice put on a bad match. Too much skill in the ring, too much experience (at least 45 years in CNTRL according to Bayley), and just enough story for a compelling match. And everything looked good for Bianca & Candice until Bayley made the difference. She interfered, Bianca cut her off but the distraction put Candice all by her lonesome. The tag champs finished her off and Bianca’s face said it all.
I like Damage CNTRL with the upper hand here. they’re a supergroup and putting them in the driver’s seat is always the right call. Especially when going against people who are only together through circumstance rather than as an actual group.

JBL Has a Point
No, not about Baron Corbin as the modern day wrestling god. No thank you, sir. But Dolph Ziggler has kinda stole money for 15 years in WWE. Good wrestler? Of course. But Dolph’s had “next” for a long time. So long, in fact, other cats took next from him. At a certain point, his character just became “stealing the show” which is cool but that meant losing more than winning and never living up to the lofty expectations his character often projects. But I’ll stop before the DZ fans come out in force.
Trolling the crowd about current wrestlers not making it during the Attitude Era is perfect catnip for people my age but also probably a weird thing where some in that crowd are old enough to pause and think about it.
JBL was great introducing Corbin as the newest wrestler on the Raw roster. He went into mega heel mode at the drop of a cowboy hat, He dumped on Rey—yay continuity—, destroyed Oklahoma.
After all that, Dolph and Corbin put on a solid match. A very solid match. I’m more interested if the JBL co-sign means he’s a permanent part of the act or just lending his credibility for one night only. If it’s me, I try to make that a permanent fixture because I think JBL does a lot for Corbin. Calling him the new wrestling god sounds like he’s getting a push, so hopefully there are interesting plans for him in this new role as JBL’s anointed.

See You This Tuesday...
Rhea Ripley is headed to NXT on Cora Jade’s behalf, while the Good Brothers are teaming with Cameron Grimes to take on The Schism. Thought you should know.

Raw continues its solid run. Like last week, nothing amazing, but clearly setting the stage for Crown Jewel and giving us good matches on the way there.

Grade: B
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:34am On Oct 19, 2022
Toor. Pu7pl3 I hope you're convinced now that nothing good is coming out of Theory. He's going to cash-in his Money in The Bank on the NXT champ. There's either some sort of power play going on at the back, politics, or he did something wrong. This is the height of ridiculousness. Later they complain they can't make new stars.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:57am On Oct 19, 2022
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

He Bleeds. We Can Kill Him
Anyone coming at Bron Breakker looks for the weakness. The glitch in his system that gives them an opening for the W. Ilja Dragunov believes he found it when he accidentally headbutt Bron last week. Sure, it wasn’t meant for Bron, but he’s glad it happened. It showed him Bron is mortal.
The fact that we’re here where these two are at odds shows that JD’s plan is working, a fact Kevin Owens pointed out while the three men guested on The KO Show. KO is a human so he’s put off by McDonagh’s creepiness. Even during the segment, JD just creeped everyone out through his presence alone. Got to me too and I wasn’t even there.
You watch wrestling so you know how this goes. Eventually, everyone involved fought, despite the fact KO told them to chill. When does anyone ever listen to that in wrestling? JD watched for a bit while the two fought—clearly foreshadowing for Halloween Havoc—but eventually got involved in the action. Well, rather the action involved him.
But none of that is the big story here. None of the interesting character work between the three men or KO’s comedy is the cliffhanger for NXT’s next big event. No, that honor belongs to Austin Theory.
Theory showed up, briefcase in hand, hinting at cashing in that contract for the NXT championship. That makes all the sense in the world based on Theory’s last couple weeks on Raw, plus the fact he’s not beating Roman Reigns at any point between now and WrestleMania. Dragunov, the last man standing in the ring, held the belt high and acted as if Theory didn’t exist. Which is fitting based on the way both men portray their respective characters and how other wrestlers respond to them.
It’s a nice wrinkle going into Halloween Havoc and truly makes one wonder if Bron’s time as champion is up. There are now four threats for his title and those aren’t great odds.
The best segment of the night by far.

Extracurriculars
Firm Biz
Overpowering Rhea Ripley was never an option for Roxanne Perez. Being smarter and quicker than Ripley was the name of the game if she wanted any chance at getting a W. And for a brief moment, she was. Rhea dominated most of the match through sheer force. It was the typical David and Goliath story. Of course, in this version, Goliath came equipped with Dominik and the rest of the Judgment Day. That was the difference in the match.
Now, on an analytical leve, which is why I’m here, WWE put themselves in a bind. Rhea Ripley can't lose to anyone in NXT, much less Roxanne. But Roxanne can’t look weak going into Halloween Havoc. Logic says a finish filled with shenanigans is in the cards. But that’s not exactly what we got here. Dom distracted Roxanne but he didn’t really interfere. Sure, the distraction proved fatal as Perez took her eye off her opponent and caught a Rip Tide, but a distraction isn’t actual interference. A DQ finish makes perfect sense in this scenario but that’s not what we got. Rather than looking like a competitor who gave it her all but got outnumbered, Roxanne looks like a competitor not smart enough to keep her attention squarely on her opponent.
Le boo.

But There’s More...
Cora Jade vs. Raquel Rodriguez got the finish I wanted for Roxanne vs. Rhea. Cora baited Raquel into striking her with the kendo stick, the ref rang the bell, and Roxanne attacked her rival, who basked in the glory of her cheap W. It was fun seeing Roxanne get her hands on Cora if only for a little bit.

Stack Bundles
Shinsuke Nakamura came back to NXT for at least one night. And it’s all thanks to Tony D’Angelo. Nakamura served as Stacks’ punishment. And yeah, it was a punishment. The Don made a meal out of the fact Stacks went down after two Kinshasas, but that’s also kinda not true. the first knocked Stacks out of the ring, while the second came when Stacks accepted the inevitable.
Meh.

Got That Fire
So, as I always say: Stay away from abduction angles, NXT. Mandy Rose showed up this week after Alba Fyre abducted her a couple weeks ago. We got no explanation, no reasoning, or no real resolution. Just Mandy saying Alba made the wrong move abducting her. What? That’s it?
At that point, Alba beat back the rest of Toxic Attraction and Sonya Deville, then tangled with Mandy. Something about this feud just isn’t working for me and Alba, who felt like a threat for this championship months ago, now seems like another bump in the road.
As for the match between Sonya and Alba, it was okay. But just not enough time. That’s always a detriment to shows this packed.

The Score
Speaking of quick! Carmelo Hayes & Trick Williams faced Wes Lee & Oro Mensah in a tag match that seemingly lasted all of 5 minutes. It really was a blink and you missed it bout that started in the locker room and ended in quick fashion in the ring. But the point wasn’t the match itself; the point was bringing the ladder match competitors together in a ball of chaos. And that’s what we got after the bell rung.
While the “match” did nothing for me, I’m still high on this ladder match.

Young Gunz
The six-man tag was a lot of fun and really dope. The O.C. joined Cameron Grimes—for a fee—against The Schism. Grimes worked beautifully with Gallows & Anderson. so much so that they looked like a veteran three-man group. We got smooth interactions, fluid teamwork, and a good contrast in styles. The Schism performed well too, which makes it shameful they’re trapped behind this current gimmick. Although, commentary hit on something very interesting for Joe Gacy: He despises Grimes because he can’t control him. Gacy feeds off easily manipulated minds and lost souls. Finding someone who is neither is his kryptonite. I like that a whole lot and hope we get more of it.
The O.C., of course, picked up the W for their team because no one is showing up from the main roster and taking an L this week.

The Host with the Most...and a Tank
Shotzi is your Halloween Havoc host. Thought you should know. Oh and Chucky will be there too. I promise you. And Quincy Elliot is her co-host thanks to a pretty commanding victory over Xyon Quinn. Quinn kept using his power in vain on Elliot, who is just too much for that.
And Hank is still in Quinn’s business. So yeah, that’s a thing happening very soon.

This was a very average edition of NXT. Especially for a go home show. While they definitely set the stage for Halloween Havoc, there were a lot of balls in the air that created a very hard juggling act. At times, it just wasn’t compelling television. Doesn’t mean it was a bad show, but just a little below average. However, it didn’t damper my hopes for Halloween Havoc at all. So that’s a plus.

Grade: B-
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:58am On Oct 19, 2022
ValeeLove:
Toor. P.u7pl3 I hope you're convinced now that nothing good is coming out of Theory. He's going to cash-in his Money in The Bank on the NXT champ. There's either some sort of power play going on at the back, politics, or he did something wrong. This is the height of ridiculousness. Later they complain they can't make new stars.

Nah, I actually like this one, everyone knows nobody is beating Roman anytime soon.
And he wasn't the only main Roster act that came to NXT
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 6:00pm On Oct 19, 2022
pu7pl3:

Nah, I actually like this one, everyone knows nobody is beating Roman anytime soon.
And he wasn't the only main Roster act that came to NXT
so you think going for an insignificant belt is wise? Is it not better he cashes in and lose than this? What is he benefitting from this?!
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:06pm On Oct 19, 2022
ValeeLove:
so you think going for an insignificant belt is wise? Is it not better he cashes in and lose than this? What is he benefitting from this?!

Na only you dey talk say the NXT 5itle dey insignificant bro grin

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 6:58pm On Oct 19, 2022
pu7pl3:

Na only you dey talk say the NXT 5itle dey insignificant bro grin
to him it is. He's on the main roster, he has opportunity to get the big belt and he's chasing the developmental/c-show belt. That booking is trash.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:10pm On Oct 19, 2022
ValeeLove:
to him it is. He's on the main roster, he has opportunity to get the big belt and he's chasing the developmental/c-show belt. That booking is trash.

The booking is not trash, it makes sense...he obviously can't beat someone Brock couldn't beat...
The NXT title is a major title in the company too and he can go for it fair and square.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:59pm On Oct 19, 2022
pu7pl3:

The booking is not trash, it makes sense...he obviously can't beat someone Brock couldn't beat...
The NXT title is a major title in the company too and he can go for it fair and square.
let us be truthful. The NXT title means absolutely nothing to anyone on the main roster, let alone a MITB winner. If he wanted an NXT title in the beginning, then the sacrifices he paid are unnecessary. Mere walking into NXT could guarantee him that. This kind of thing only happens in WWE. They did the same thing with Charlotte few years back, and her career skyrocketed after.
And you talk about Brock not being able to beat him, well Brock doesn't have a briefcase that can guarantee him a World title match anytime, anywhere. Edge didn't have to be able to beat Cena before he cashed it in and won his first world title. Common sense na wetin WWE lack.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:20pm On Oct 19, 2022
ValeeLove:
let us be truthful. The NXT title means absolutely nothing to anyone on the main roster, let alone a MITB winner. If he wanted an NXT title in the beginning, then the sacrifices he paid are unnecessary. Mere walking into NXT could guarantee him that. This kind of thing only happens in WWE. They did the same thing with Charlotte few years back, and her career skyrocketed after.
And you talk about Brock not being able to beat him, well Brock doesn't have a briefcase that can guarantee him a World title match anytime, anywhere. Edge didn't have to be able to beat Cena before he cashed it in and won his first world title. Common sense na wetin WWE lack.

It's not the same scenario with Edge tbh...every MITB cash in can't be the same.
You no go still gree sha
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:10am On Oct 22, 2022
After all the ice cream bars and digs at WWE

"CM Punk is not popular backstage at AEW, per the Observer Newsletter. Most of the talent are “decidedly anti-Punk” because of how he went after the “very popular” Hangman Page, made AEW look bush league by saying Page had done nothing in his career, and how everything Punk was involved in after All Out made the company look bad overall."
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:26am On Oct 22, 2022
WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Logan Paul was given the main event spot on this week’s episode of Friday Night SmackDown, and it remains baffling the way they flip flop back-and-forth between this guy playing a babyface and playing a heel. He’s getting some cheers and shouting out Ohio, and then he’s heeling it up calling fans at home dummies.
I’m getting whiplash here.
I’ll say this for Paul — he’s arguably as good a promo as some of the folks who get time on a microphone on WWE TV each week. It’s almost surprising how comfortable he looks out there, and he did a pretty damn good job building up the idea that he could land one big punch and shock the world.
Then they worked an angle whereby Jey Uso ran in, attacked him from behind, and then argued with Sami Zayn long enough to allow Paul to recover so that he may land that one big punch on Jey, putting him out cold.
It served multiple purposes — it showed how Paul can win, unlikely as it may be, and it gave us even more of Sami and Jey being unable to get and stay on the same page for longer 10 minutes. This wasn’t nearly as bad as I went in expecting it to be, considering Roman Reigns wouldn’t be in the building.
I’m not quite on the Ronda Rousey train of thinking he should win against Reigns and be given the absolute best treatment WWE can give him, but he’s winning me over as far as not hating the idea of him sticking around for something more after this.
Did they actually get me on board with the match itself, Saudi Arabia or not? How about that.
That was kinda weird, huh?

Bray Wyatt cut a promo backstage continuing what he was saying last week. He did so while his new entrance theme was playing and it was incredibly distracting. It was so distracting, in fact, I could hardly even hear what he was saying.
It’s Wyatt, so design choices like this are the norm, and I’m sure there’s some in depth explanation for doing it. But as simple television, just a dude trying to get a message across, it didn’t really work for me.
I literally had to go back and listen again just to figure out what he said.
What he said was he was content with staying gone and just doing his own thing but he’s grateful everyone brought him back. He knows what we’re trying to do, whatever that means, but it won’t work and he’s going to do horrible things he won’t be sorry for because he’s “just a servant” who will “go where the Circle takes me.”
What does it mean?
Who the hell knows!
That’s the point, I guess. More questions to be answered, somewhere down the line.
I will say this — Wyatt has a way about him that really does draw you to him. The gravely sound of his voice, his cadence, his unique look. When he starts talking, I kind of fall into a trance and want him to keep talking. That’s part of why the music was so distracting, and part of why they brought him back at all. The dude is overflowing with charisma. He’s like gravity, bringing everything into him.
Later in the show, we got a promo with the masked man talking about lying and then the seeming introduction of someone new. We didn’t see much of anything, and only heard “howdy.” So, Uncle Howdy, I guess!
They also did yet another barcode, this one leading to a photocopy of a “psychological/psychiatric evaluation” for Wyatt that said he “refused to sign” and his history shows a “difficulty showing remorse or empathy/conflict with social norms” and “disregarding or violating the rights of others.”
Fun, huh?

All the rest
-They opened this show with Sheamus taking on Solo Sikoa in a singles match to keep The Bloodline vs. Brawling Brutes going. The match was predictably good, and featured Sami Zayn again making Solo break character with his ringside antics. BUTCH took an incredible superkick on the outside over the announcer’s table. In the end, The Bloodline proved too much, finishing out by trying to injure Sheamus’ arm. It was treated like a big statement for the group. What this showed as much as anything is Sikoa can hang in there with the best of them. That guy has future top star written all over him.

-Sonya Deville was back this week to battle Liv Morgan, who showed up looking a bit like Harley Quinn with eye makeup that made me think of Eric Draven and is working an unhinged character now. She’s laughing but she’s clearly not happy and she only cares about dishing out punishment, even if it means getting counted out, or disqualified, or whatever else. She lost her title, but she lost her mind too, don’t you see?!? Shout out to Deville for taking a superplex onto a bunch of chairs laid out in the ring in service of getting across how far Morgan has lost it.

-They worked a pretty good angle for the Omos vs. Braun Strowman confrontation. MVP showed up to say Braun shouldn’t want it so much, considering he likes to call himself the “Monster of all monsters” but he should be careful inviting Omos in because he’s an actual giant. If he steps to him, shows everyone how normal Strowman can look, and then beats him, then what? It’s an actually compelling angle for this program. Then Omos came out, stood in the ring, and Strowman slowly walked up to him, showcasing the fact that he had to LOOK UP to look him in the eye. Holy shit! Then Omos pushed him out of the ring with ease, something Braun responded to with a laugh and an “okay, big boy.” This kinda rules.

-Drew McIntyre was interviewed to tell us the WWE overlords aren’t happy about his attack on Karrion Kross and repercussions could be coming if more nonsense happens. Having said that, they’ve been booked for a match at Crown Jewel.

-Damage CTRL retained the women’s tag team championship by defeating Raquel Rodriguez & Shotzi in what was a fairly solid match. It was a clean enough win that it didn’t leave much room for a return match. Once again, it leaves the champs without any real contenders.

-Ronda Rousey told us in an interview that she does open challenges only to prove she’s the best, not for the ungrateful fans, who turned their back on her. They don’t want the best to win, they want their favorites to win, and she doesn’t respect this. To hell with ‘em. To hell with ‘em all. She’ll do the open challenge next week, when she wants, cause she just really wanted to get the hell out of Ohio. Her delivery still isn’t the best, especially when she’s trying to show disdain like this in an unnatural way. I’m not giving up on her being awesome in this role just yet, though.

-Legado del Fantasma got a backstage segment to tell us they acquired Zelina Vega, and that’s why she’s there. She cut a promo saying they’re head and shoulders above the rest. “We are fueled by tradition, heritage, and culture.” Hit Row was shown watching this, getting good and pissed off about it. B-Fab had an idea.

-Rey Mysterio got his feud with GUNTHER started off proper this week, as he was put into a match with Ludwig Kaiser and immediately felt what it’s like going up against all three. Thankfully, he’s a wily ol’ veteran who had a friend who used to lie, and cheat, and steal his way to victory and he was paying attention. He used those tactics not to win, but to even the playing field. A true good guy. When it was a true 1v1, Rey came out on top, much to the delight of the crowd. They may have gotten up for this more than anything else on the show. The Mysterio family still being over like this in 2022 is something else.

This was an enjoyable enough show. Nothing spectacular but not a bad way to spend your time.

Grade: C+
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:30am On Oct 22, 2022

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:41am On Oct 22, 2022
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by DanieBlinkz(m): 8:49am On Oct 22, 2022
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 2:50pm On Oct 22, 2022
DanieBlinkz:

Omo Omos na giant true true

Nigerian giant no be for mouth

(1) (2) (3) ... (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) ... (298) (Reply)

Cuando Seas Mia: 'When You Are Mine' / ARROW and THE FLASH fan page....... / Top 15 Nollywood Stars Who Have Passed Away In Recent Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.