Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,192 members, 7,829,268 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House - TV/Movies (274) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House (292208 Views)

Games Of Thrones: House Of The Dragon Official Discussion Thread / Nigerians Storm Gotv Facebook Page Over WWE / Rachel Johnson Goes Topless On Live TV Show During Brexit Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) ... (298) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:04pm On Nov 07, 2022
ValeeLove:

Bray Wyatt makes his entrance. Crowd chants "Welcome Back".

Bray Wyatt says he comes from a very prestigious wrestling family that is "larger than life."

Bray says that he always wanted to be great, but he wanted to be the greatest of everyone in his family. As the crowd chants "Yes, you are."

Bray says that he did what he thought he needed to do and gave in, and made a monster of himself.

He says that he wore that mask with pride, and it did not take long for him to understand that under the mask, he did not feel pain and he could no longer be afraid, as he was "completely untouchable".

He says it felt good and that sensations like that are impossible to quit, but he soon found himself in a kingdom of nothingness

He says being the monster destroyed him and ran off everyone. He was alone and had nowhere to run. A “we love you” chant breaks out.

He says people do not love him, but the idea of him and what he is capable of, and that he does not even love himself.

He says this does not have to be the ending of his story, as this is not the man he wants to be remembered as.

He then says he is here to rewrite the ending to his story. "I am Bray Wyatt! I am Bray Wyatt! I am Bray Wyatt!" Huge pop from the crowd.

Uncle Howdy shows up on the TitanTron saying that the people do not deserve him.

Howdy says it must hurt forcing yourself to be someone you’re not.

Howdy says you can’t fool him and questions who knows Wyatt better than he does.

Howdy says Wyatt will give in and when he does, he wants him to remember how good it feels.

He tells Bray to "hurt them" and to not take the mask off...“Tell me I’m wrong”… Howdy disappears, while Wyatt is shown watching this time..

Nice 1
Gracia's❗

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:15am On Nov 08, 2022
I said it. I spoke like a prophet. It was as if I was literally seeing the future, but what can we do about it. Pu7pl3 you said you wouldn't believe when I said it then and I don't know if you would believe now but guess what, WWE finally ruined Austin Theory. For a company that is notorious for not creating big names and stars over the decades they sure do know how to ruin their only opportunity. Don't hold your breathe Bron Breakker, I also don't see much for you in this company my dear Grayson Waller. WWE doesn't have the magic touch anymore. They had Theory cash-in his MITB contract on a midcard title and still fail and had a whatever booking in the process. They don't have a problem bringing outsiders like Logan Paul to main event big shows, but to grow their internal wrestlers is a biig problem for the company.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:48am On Nov 08, 2022
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

When Keeping it Real Goes Right
I normally don’t like when WWE goes meta with its stories. Not because I think it’s a terrible move but because some of the wrestlers can’t do it as well as they think. The emotion isn’t there, the truth isn’t as compelling as they believe, and it just feels staged.
Then there’s the New Day and the Usos. These four brothers know what they’re doing. More importantly, they rope the audience into everything because most of us know the story behind both teams. We know every twist and turn of their rivalry, and we know how competitive both teams are on screen and behind the scenes. So when Xavier Woods compares the pressure he and Kofi felt vs. the pressure Jimmy & Jey felt? That ish is real.
The Usos took a paved path to WWE; their reign was practically destined. Xavier, Kofi, & Big E were basically afterthoughts. Xavier talked about them waiting in catering not knowing if everyday was their last. And we all know that! WWE didn’t know what to do with them, so they joined forces. And then, as Kofi pointed out, WWE saddled them with a positivity preachers gimmick built to die. And yet, they made it work. Even when no one thought they could.
The Usos have their own pressure, for sure. Being great when everyone expects greatness from you isn’t an easy thing. Especially when your entire family is wrestling legacy. Jimmy & Jey had no choice. It’s either overachieve or go home. While that story doesn’t hit as hard as the New Day’s tale, it’s still a good point. But it’s also why New Day maintaining that position as the longest reigning tag champs in WWE history just means more to them. Everything with them was essentially an accident. Everything with Jimmy & Jey was predetermined.
Riddle showing up ruined the segment for me. It’s not that I don’t like him, but he undercut the very real drama with bong jokes and his stoner persona. This moment between two great WWE tag teams was nether the place or the time for that. Yes, it led to a very dope six-man tag match, but the words, the drama, and the context contained more entertainment than the match itself. And that’s not slighting the match but rather shows how good all four men are on the microphone.

Extracurriculars
The Equalizer
Not Denzel and not Queen L-a-t-i-f-a-h in command. The O.C.’s solution to the Rhea problem is Mia Yim. The Judgment Day answered Seth Rollins’ United States championship open challenge, with Finn saying he owes Seth for that injury way back when that cut Finn’s Universal championship reign extremely short. The California Boys hit the ring, Seth scampered, and Mia jumped Rhea.
Do. This. At. WAR. GAMES.

Speaking of War...
Damage CNTRL once again ran roughshod over Bianca Belair, Alexa Bliss, & Asuka. This time with Nikki Cross as an added bonus. Bianca says this ends at Survivor Series War Games buuuuuut...they need a fourth. No way the three of them defeat four women. A functional segment in that it set up the inevitable.

Finger Poke of Gloom
As usual, a veteran gives Austin Theory some jewels. As usual, Theory says “nah” and a fight ensues because he’s disrespectful. This time, he insulted Shelton Benjamin, who took an : after Austin poked him in the eye then hit the A Town Down.
Quick match that didn’t do much for me but also? The story with these vets willingly giving Theory som knowledge and him telling them to shove it is getting old. Almost as if the story needs another gear...

BUT WAIT...
Remember that other gear I mentioned? We got it. And it looks like it went from 5th gear to park.
Seth reissued his open challenge during Raw’s main event. Ali stepped up only for Bobby Lashley to step on him. Lashley sought his revenge on Seth and before the match even started, he extracted his pound of flesh and then some. The bell never rang because Lashley decimated Rollins. It was complete chaos and WWE officials finally got him out of the ring and tended to Rollins.
But then Austin Theory hit the ring, briefcase in hand, and cashed in his chance...for the same title he already possessed. Weird. They teased him going after Reigns’ title, which made everyone laugh. Then they teased him taking the NXT championship and that never materialized. So instead, Theory made the most lateral move of all lateral moves. This says nothing about Theory’s wrestling ability but as a character, he is a true crash test dummy.
AND HE LOST THE MATCH! I used so many laughing emojis in the Cageside slack because it’s just too funny. Yes, he got close to a W but Bobby ran out and made sure that didn’t happen. But before that, Rollins kicked out of everything Theory threw at him. This is a Rollins who just took a hell of a beating from Lashley and barely knew the right year much less the day of the week. And no matter what Theory threw at him, which included a Pedigree, Seth survived.
Lashley snatched Theory out of the ring after the latter hit Seth with an A-Town Down, then threw him in the Hurt Lock. Theory barely beat the 10-count after Lashley left him briefly unconscious, then got a curb stomp for his troubles.
Seth rules and Theory drools. That is a stupid, stupid man and this whole thing with Theory had nowhere to go once the old man “retired.”
A weird ending for the angle and an even weirder ending for Raw. Valeelove has been proven right once again on this Theory (pun intended) issue.

Weird
That’s how I feel about Miz vs. Johnny Gargano. The two wrestled a technically sound match and they clearly work well together in the ring. But I just don’t care about their drama, which is necessary for caring about the match. Miz believed he met with a Hollywood agent interested in buying his side of the story between he and Dexter Lumis. Johnny revealed that was all a hustle, and the agent was actually a private eye working on Johnny’s behalf.
Johnny revealed the “agent” recorded the meeting with Miz and Johnny played it for all of us. Miz admitted everything Johnny said about his relationship with Lumis is true. Duh. We knew that already.
Miz won the hard-fought match thanks to hitting Johnny with a foreign object. Lumis showed up, hit Miz with a chair, then ran away from security. We’re just hitting the same story beats over and over even after seemingly getting some resolution. I’m not with it right now because it feels like it’s threadmilling -running in place-.

New...champ?
Nikki Cross is the new 24/7 champ after soundly defeating Dana Brooke. But she doesn’t care. The new champ walked around the backstage area with Damage CNTRL by her side and tossed the trash can into a trash can. Well, she tried to do that anyway. She missed. But I don’t think she noticed that either. She was in some weird euphoric trance while Damage CNTRL looked like hostage negotiators trying not to say or do the wrong thing.
Is this the end of the 24/7 championship? Me thinks so.

Raw’s opening hit it out of the park. The show never reached that height again and nothing else felt as meaningful or personal. This was one of those weeks where the third hour felt wholly unnecessary. Minus the ending, which was so messy and wild that one can’t help but love it.

Oh and we got an Elias vs. Otis match that just did nothing for me, despite how much I love both men.

Grade: B-

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:46am On Nov 09, 2022
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

End of the Road
Zoey Stark & Nikkita Lyons got their rematch against Kayden Carter & Katana Chance. Zoey blamed herself for her team coming up short the first time where one mental mistake played big part in their collective L. This match was about more than Zoey & Lyons getting tag team glory; it was about Zoey’s redemption. Those tag titles evaded her last year, the Women’s NXT championship slipped her grasp a few months ago. Zoey needs this more than Nikkita if only for proof she’s not a screw-up.
With all that said, I wondered whether or not a title change was in the air. Or, based on Zoey’s recent outbursts, a heel turn.
We got the latter but not before getting a very dope match in the process.
And it wasn’t just about the moves although of course that helps. It was the specifically the tandem moves. Stark & Lyons started strong and seemed on the exact same page. Their whole beef with Carter & Chance is the champs claiming they’re not a real team. So, of course, they went the extra mile in proving them wrong. But their easygoing chemistry of a few months was no match for Carter & Chance. When Carter went for a move that didn’t quite work, Chance emphatically had her back. When Kayden went for a suicide dive, Katana went for another suicide dive. One of them inhales and the other exhales.
That rhythm showed itself towards the end when Zoey almost ran into Nikkita. They spent way too long talking to each other with Zoey apologizing and gave the champs a breather. Nikkita spotted Katana & Kayden coming for Zoey and moved her out of the way then acted as a human shield. That nice moment of friendship and partnership contrasted with the very end of the match in an ugly way for the challengers.
With Nikkita laid out, Katana & Kayden hit their patented tag team finisher and retained their titles. Zoey & Nikkita, even obviously upset, presented the championships to the champs. Nikkita bowed and gave up the belt while Zoey hesitated and then nailed her partner with the championship. She threw the championship belt to the ground and posed over her former partner.
Good match with a very poetic and fitting ending. I never saw these two as tag champs. I think there’s a more interesting story with them feuding than working together.

Extracurriculars
Over the Moon
Cameron Grimes had this match in the bag. He almost put the nail in Joe Gacy’s coffin but almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. The most interesting wrinkle to this solid match between the two is Grimes handling three members of Schism. Past matches saw him flummoxed when dealing with Gacy and the Dyad, but he took them out with a beautiful sunset flip to the outside of the ring. But he didn’t account for Ava Raine. One might say he overlooked the Schism’s newest member.
When Grimes climbed the top rope, Raine pushed him off and that was that. Gacy finished him off and the Schism celebrated over Grimes’ limp body.
The right person won here because Schism needs to look strong. No clue what happens with Grimes now but this was necessary.

Student Becoming the Teacher?
Duke Hudson is clearly up to no good. Right? Duke tells Andre Chase he wants to do thing the right way. Says he’s firmly in his corner this week against Charlie Dempsey. Says it’s all about the U on his shirt and doing things the way the U would. No, not that “U” because if that’s the case...never mind. Anyway, the minute Dempsey put Chase in a submission and Chase instructed Duke not to help and definitely not to cheat, Duke threw in the towel for his leader.
Let’s just get to the match already.

It’s Electric
Elektra Lopez and Sol Luca put together a match that defines developmental. Both women are still rough in the ring but Elektra has the personality and mannerisms down pact. Sol is clearly still learning and they didn’t get a lot of time so I don’t see neither getting better from this interaction.
However, Indi Hartwell attacked Lopez post match. Indi wanted revenge for last week and she sent a message to Ms. Lopez. Elektra should definitely get better feuding with Indi.

Fetch
At least Von Wagner knows people dislike him. Specifically those of us here. The dude has some menace to him and looks good standing next to Bron Breakker. The Grayson Waller Effect segment is always entertaining if only for Grayson instigating. And with Bron mentioning not only JD McDonagh but also Apollo Crews as people coming for his neck. Is Bron looking past Von? Maybe so, maybe no. But they planted the seed of a champion either looking too far ahead or feeling some pressure.
This is actually the first glimpse of Von’s personality and it’s not awful. I still think he’s better as the strong silent type but he doesn’t have the manager for that type of gimmick. I didn’t hate the segment but I didn’t love it either. Maybe they make fetch happen after all.

Can’t Stop Won’t Stop
Axiom and JD McDonagh put on a very dope match. The tables turned for Axiom when JD went to work on Axiom’s knee in the third act. JD went into surgeon mode and bent that man’s knee in ways knees don’t bend. At least not the way God intended. The ref stopped the match because, well, Axiom couldn’t walk. Good way turning all of JD’s weird stuff into something legitimately dangerous. I dug it and I don’t dig much with JD.

Five Minutes of Funk
Brutus Creed decimated Damon Kemp. They had five minutes and it looked like Damon was competition for about five seconds. That was that. Probably a match more fun in the arena than on television if only because Julius vs. Damon was a more emotional match.

This show was a lot. There were multiple backstage segments, including one at Fallon Henley’s family’s bar. Oh and a lovely barbershop segment featuring Shawn Michaels Jr. Carmelo Hayes. But we also got a thing with Scrypts that’s still doing nothing for me and seems spooky for the sake of spooky, along with teases for presumably NXT Countdown. Oh and Alba Fyre snatched Jacy Jayne out her whip and left her on the side of the road while on the phone with Mandy Rose. Yup, that happened.

It’s a show that did a lot and yet somehow not quite enough. The show started strong and ended strong but all the stuff in the middle? Mixed at best.

Grade: C+
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 4:05pm On Nov 09, 2022
Our brother Omos is back home. He came back to his family in Lagos yesterday and the return video was if anything, emotional.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 4:22pm On Nov 09, 2022
ValeeLove:
Our brother Omos is back home. He came back to his family in Lagos yesterday and the return video was if anything, emotional.
does this news mean that WWE is already in Nigeria as they said they would?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 5:52pm On Nov 09, 2022
ValeeLove:

I can't even see where he got those genes from grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Debroslink: 6:51pm On Nov 09, 2022

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:56am On Nov 12, 2022
WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

We want Sami
It really speaks to how over Sami Zayn is that WWE would spend an entire week hyping an Usos vs. New Day match on Friday Night SmackDown to determine who would hold the record for the longest tag team title reign in WWE history and fans in Indianapolis would respond to it by consistently chanting for Zayn.
We want Sami, indeed.
We didn’t get Sami, as Michael Cole informed everyone he was off dealing with a personal matter. Whatever that matter is, we wish the best for him.
Meanwhile, I quite liked the story they told with this match. The New Day were desperate to keep the record as longest reigning tag team champions, and it showed in their approach. With each near fall that didn’t put The Usos away, they became increasingly desperate.
The Usos also had to dig deep when they realized this wasn’t just any regular opponent, no matter how good Xavier Woods and Kofi Kingston may be. There was just too much on the line.
But by the time it was over, it was clear The Usos deserved not just the win but the record too. It’s the kind of run they’ve been on. It’s been fantastic.
Later in the night, we got Reigns seemingly about to give them their flowers for once only to be interrupted by The Brawling Brutes with a returning Sheamus and Drew McIntyre apparently aligned with them, at least for now, in a roundabout way, united in their disgust with The Bloodline consistently getting away with running over everyone with sheer numbers.
Me thinks this is the setup for a War Games match, folks.
And me likes it very much.

All the rest
-Santos Escobar scored a win over Shinsuke Nakamura in the first round of the SmackDown World Cup tournament. Legado del Fantasma’s sheer numbers gave Escobar the edge, and he used the Phantom Driver to put Nakamura away. In an interesting note, Michael Cole promoted Nakamura’s pending New Year’s match with The Great Muta in Japan. I’m going to choose to believe this loss had nothing to do with that match. Hey, it’s a different world now with new folks in charge, right? They wouldn’t reveal a bracket for the tournament, meanwhile, so they could only promote Escobar vs. a mystery opponent in two weeks.

-Bray Wyatt confronted LA Knight during an interview backstage, saying he knows how far you have to go to get respect around here. Knight, of course, responded with disrespect, telling him to go play with his dolls and stick ‘em wherever it gives you pleasure, cause he don’t mind. That was a pretty great line. Wyatt ended up head butting him and disappearing. I don’t know why Knight was chosen as the first guy Wyatt would have an interaction like this with but It was a fun little backstage bit.

-It looks like WWE is going to pair Emma and Madcap Moss on television. The two are dating IRL last I heard. The chemistry should be there, at least!

-Shotzi earned a shot at Ronda Rousey and the SmackDown women’s championship by winning a Six-Pack Challenge. Said match wasn’t very good, but those kind of chaotic matches hardly can be. What was good was Shayna Baszler confronting Shotzi while she was celebrating backstage, telling her all she won was a broken arm, and then tricking her into turning around to confront Rousey just to choke her out. “Clean up on aisle green,” Ronda said. Ha! I love these two together.

-Braun Strowman ran through Jinder Mahal to advance in the SmackDown World Cup tournament. There wasn’t much to this.

-The Viking Raiders finally made their return to television after weeks of vignettes and that is indeed Sarah Logan with them. She’s back with a, shall we say, unique look. They took out both Legado del Fantasma and Hit Row before those two teams could have a match. The tag team division gets a bit deeper.
This was a good show.

Grade: B
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:22am On Nov 15, 2022

Vision Theory
Juggling is an impressive skill. I can do it in my writing but with objects? Like bowling pins or balls? Not a chance. Juggling is necessary for even average wrestling storytelling. Some stories intersect but doing it naturally within the flow of everything isn’t easy. We got an example of good juggling this week during Raw’s main event when a match six years in the making combined with Survivor Series feud, mixed with a follow-up from last week’s concluding main event.
And it all made sense, even if it was a bit chaotic at times.
Finn Balor challenged Seth Rollins for the United States championship. Finn also wanted vengeance for Seth shortening his inaugural Universal championship run in 2016. Unfinished business, as Finn put it, and business picked up this week. I’m not giving you blow for blow in a match featuring two of the best in the world right now because you know it was dope.
Their 2016 match worked and this one worked even better because of the extra shades. Finn needed this W more than Seth. He needs validation for a career deferred six years ago, and Judgment Day needs some gold. Which makes it weird that he took his eye off the ball the minute his crew came to the ring and The O.C. followed.
The Judgment Day hit ringside and distracted Seth with their usual tricks. No real interference, just annoying him at opportune moments. Once the Californiiiaaaaa crew showed up, with Mia Yim in tow, all hell broke loose. Finn looked disheveled while ignoring the fact Seth was on the literal ropes.
He stood ready with the killshot but hesitated when AJ’s crew got physical with his crew. Little things like that always irritate me in wrestling. I understand it’s a part of the game at times for heels—and faces—to act ditzy at times, but that doesn’t make it any less annoying. Especially when the stakes are that high for one competitor.
But I digress. The brawl spilled into the ring and Finn seemingly forgot Rollins existed. While the rest of Judgment Day and The O.C. fought into the stands, Seth put the finishing touches on Balor. Right there, we furthered a feud between factions and advanced something between Finn & Seth that is nowhere near finished with that fuzzy finish.

And then came Austin Theory.
Theory assaulted Seth when Finn rolled out of the ring. Spoiler for the rest of the recap and earlier in the show, but Theory is a man hellbent on proving he’s not a kid and play time is over. He channeled all his pent up anger and rage into pummeling Seth into a million little pieces, while mocking him for being a “visionary.” I am subtracting points from Theory for not asking if Seth “saw this coming” after asking if he's a visionary. I mean, come on, son, it was right there.
Juxtaposing last week’s episode, Theory stood tall when the credits rolled. And Seth, once again, sold his beatdown like a champ.
Very good juggling, WWE.

Extracurriculars
Hurt People Hurt People
Bobby Lashley vs. Mustafa Ali came out of nowhere. By that I mean Ali rushed the ring while Lashley confronted Seth Rollins. Lashley wanted Rollins and his United States championship. BUT, and Seth made this point, Bobby had his chance last week. Rather than take advantage of said chance, he slapped enough fire out of Seth to ignite 4th of July fireworks. I’m on Seth’s side here. Bobby’s temper got the better of him and there’s no real reason for Seth to give him anything else at this point.
Now, with that out of the way, let’s focus on Ali. Mustafa justifiably went after Lashley for what happened last week during Lashley’s reign of terror. Their “match” illustrated how dominant Bobby is at the moment with his temper out of control. Ali never really stood a chance. From a wrestling standpoint, Ali made Bobby look great, although I’m not a fan of using Ali for this purpose right now. Also not a huge fan of starting Raw with a match that, for the most part, was a glorified squash.

Who’s Your Mami?
From a glorified squash to an actual one, Mia Yim made short work of Tamina. Short, proper work. Rhea Ripley and Dom looked on with devilish grins. Rhea fronted like she wanted static with Mia, but she said nah.
BUT WAIT...Damage CTRL looked on as well. From the back, of course, in the weird way that only wrestlers watch television. Impressed with Mia, they offered her a spot on their Survivor Series team. Mia, flattered, declined since she has no beef with Bianca and friends. But she didn’t sound completely opposed to joining Bayley’s crew. Of course the California Boys showed up with beers in hand and whisked Mia away before her convo with Bayley and the Women’s tag champs got any further. But this is an intriguing development. Might Mia join Damage CTRL’s damaged ranks for Survivor Series?

Nope
We got our answer later in the show. Mia joined Bianca’s team, much to Bayley’s chagrin. Naturally, Rhea joined Damage CTRL’s team out of spite.

FAIR & SQUARE
No Elias this week (BOOOOOOOOOOOO) so Riddle faced Chad Gable on his own. Gable, however, was not alone and that made the difference. These two wrestled a pretty good match as per usual. Riddle and Gable worked well together when RK-Bro feuded with Alpha Academy, so seeing them one-on-one is more of the same. They told a simple story: They’re even in the ring but Otis tips the scales in Gable’s favor. No pun intended, just clever wordplay.
Chad got the win after Otis interfered multiple times and threw Riddle off his game. The last time proved fatal as Chad rolled up Riddle—no pun intended again—put his feet on the ropes, and the Number One Guy held his feet down to the ropes for lots of extra leverage.
After the match, Otis yelled that the win was “fair and square” despite the facts saying otherwise. Good match, fun ending.

Mr. Rogers Didn’t Die for This
Look, I like Johnny Gargano. Don’t love him, but I do like him. And Dexter in NXT was fantastic. But this thing with the two of them and Miz just isn’t working for me. Not even a little. Johnny convinced WWE officials to give Dexter a match with Miz for “everything Miz owes him” plus a WWE contract. Just end it already so I don’t have to poke holes in the story “logic” week after week. Like this week, how Dexter still doesn’t have a contract but showed up in a WWE ring, again, and security didn’t chase him off the grounds. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t. But this week they didn’t because...basketball reasons? After Miz narrowly escaped Dexter’s grasp, he ran to the back while Dexter and Johnny slowly followed. Which, again, doesn’t make sense.
It’s been 84 years and I’m just tired.

For Mami
Dom and Damian Priest got in Shelton Benjamin’s face. Dom wrote a check that he...actually cashed. His match with Shelton wasn’t the best match and it was a little too methodical for my taste for this point in the show, but Dom continues showing improvement. His Frog Splash is pretty and...he got the W. Judgment Day looking dominant going into Survivor Series is the right move.
With all this talk about the Hurt Business possibly maybe hopefully getting reinstated, Lashley’s meltdowns combined with Shelton and Cedric on their own respective losing streaks might be the catalyst. One can dream.

Damaging Dana
Nikki Cross threw the 24/7 championship in a trash can last week. Well, she tried. Anyway, Dana Brooke took a lot of umbrage with that and wanted retribution this week in the form of a match with IYO SKY. Yeah, that didn’t go so well for Dana. Or for me watching because it wasn’t much to speak of. IYO got the win, mercifully.

Longform Storytelling?
Once upon a time not long ago when people wore pajamas and watched Raw slow, Dolph Ziggler picked a fight with Austin Theory. That was a thing they did and then went away from it. With Theory no longer holding the MITB briefcase and looking incredibly stupid (which the crowd chanted), Ziggler reappeared like Navient or Sallie Mae: at the worst time possible.
Austin is tired of people calling him a kid and treating him as such, so he challenged Dolph and, of course, Dolph accepted. The match hit for me the moment Dolph countered an A Town Down with a sleeper hold. A sleeper he refused to let go despite how much Theory tried fighting his way out. Theory snapped that very second, despite almost passing out, and the match hit another gear.
Theory launched Dolph off of his back, regained his composure and the match continued. Theory survived a Zig Zag and eventually hit an A Town Down. Match over, right? Nope. Austin flashed a psychotic look, showed all that frustration and anger from last week, and let it rip. He hit another A Town Down then pummeled Ziggler with lefts and rights. The ref intervened, Ziggler rolled out of the ring, and Austin followed. Steel steps, chairs, and anything not nailed down was fair game for Austin. He took out all of his frustration on Ziggler and took the DQ loss.
A match that started okay ended pretty great with a logical ending steeped in character with an interesting climax. WWE turned Theory from dummy to dangerous psychopath in one week.
Impressive. Most impressive.

Yup...
Baron Corbin defeated Tozawa after the latter cleaned the former’s pockets during a poker match. That is a thing that happened.

This was an okay episode of the Haitch era. The main event was fantastic and Theory vs. Ziggler turned into a good match. Theory turned into the star of the show, so good work from everyone involved turning him from a joke into a G in the span of a week. But there were still moments that either uninterested me or just made me scratch my head. Not a terrible show by any means but not that good either. Middle of the road show gets a middle of the road grade.

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 11:06am On Nov 16, 2022
pu7pl3:
WWE turned Theory from dummy to dangerous psychopath in one week.
Impressive. Most impressive.
it only took 2 months, I think. Why the waste of time? It could have eeasily been done 1st day of HHH in office. But this year's MITB ended up being useless. It's good he's changed, it's been a long time coming. But I honestly don't have huge hopes for him anymore. If this is how HHH wants to book his guys, then I'm taking his work with a pinch of salt or I may not take it at all.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 3:52pm On Nov 16, 2022
ValeeLove:
it only took 2 months, I think. Why the waste of time? It could have eeasily been done 1st day of HHH in office. But this year's MITB ended up being useless. It's good he's changed, it's been a long time coming. But I honestly don't have huge hopes for him anymore. If this is how HHH wants to book his guys, then I'm taking his work with a pinch of salt or I may not take it at all.

Atleast it's a step in his redemption arc for now...I understand your skepticism sha.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 4:26pm On Nov 16, 2022
I forgot to watch NXT last night cos I was tired that's why I didn't post anything about.
Make Una no vex

2 Likes

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:57am On Nov 19, 2022

The Sheamus/Drew McIntyre story has been a pretty damn good one when taken all together, and they were smart to lean on that to kick off Friday Night SmackDown this week in Hartford.
The Bloodline is a heel group, sure, but there are a lot of reasons to like them too. The Brawling Brutes have worked heel quite a bit and they need some cohesion to believe in them at all in a match like this. To that end, having McIntyre and Sheamus reestablish the bond they’ve long shared — lean right on into the whole brothers thing — worked well to do just that.
They wouldn’t reveal the fifth member of the team, not at first. Instead, Sheamus told Sami Zayn it would be the last person he would expect, something that seemed to indicate Kevin Owens would indeed be the guy.
But what of all those reports of a knee injury? Perhaps overblown? Maybe not as bad as previously believed?
After a tease like they would leave it a mystery, we got our answer in the main event of the show. Shortly after Zayn lost to BUTCH in the quarterfinals of the SmackDown World Cup tournament, a melee broke out when Roman Reigns finally made his presence felt. He laid out the entire opposing force, even the likes of Drew McIntyre and Sheamus.
And that’s when Owens’ music hit, to a thunderous ovation. He will indeed be the fifth member of the team.
This is fantastic not just because he’s so great at times like this but because it creates that much more intrigue in the match beyond the physical toll it will take on its participants. There may come a time when Zayn is forced to choose between Owens, who has been there forever, and The Bloodline, who have never fully accepted him (at least not all its members).
Can’t wait.

All the rest
-They told a good story with the Ricochet vs. Mustafa Ali match. That beatdown from Bobby Lashley served its purpose, as Ali was simply too injured to overcome against a talented wrestler like Ricochet. This was as good a way to do this as any, with Ali forced to fill in for Rey Mysterio. The match was great too!

-Emma is smitten with Madcap Moss, and boy does it come across on television. Helps that it’s real! She was there to give him some advice for dealing with Karrion Kross. She told him to just use his speed, because he’s faster. It didn’t work out for him, as he was still choked out and lost the match. Emma checked on him after, but Kross has firmly established he’s above all this.

-Bray Wyatt was back again this week to apologize to LA Knight, who he headbutted last week when he let his bad side get the best of him. He was here to make amends for that this week. But LA Knight was never going to just accept an apology, so he hauled off and slapped him. Wyatt was prepared to accept that, and then Knight slapped him again. Bray seemed to quite literally transform in the ring, his eyes going dead, glowing red, the demons inside winning him over. Using Knight to advance this story worked perfectly here. Later, Wyatt was shown in the background of a Karrion Kross/Usos chat appearing to argue with someone. But no one else was there. Later still, Wyatt’s newest mask flashed in the dark background as Knight was trying to leave the building. He was shown laid out a short time later. Wyatt is losing the fight with himself, folks!

-Shotzi scored a roll up victory over Shayna Baszler after Raquel Rodriguez came out to even the odds, what with Ronda Rousey causing trouble ringside. It might just be me but it felt like more of a win for Rodriguez than it did for Shotzi.

-The New Day recruited Braun Strowman for a six-man tag team match against Imperium after a backstage verbal confrontation led to the promise of an in-ring physical one. The babyface side won in baffling fashion — Strowman quite literally scared GUNTHER away. He was about to break up the winning pin but the mere sight of a hard charging Braun was enough to send him running out of the ring. I get that the idea is to put Strowman over in that no one has ever made GUNTHER respond that way, but it’s so over the top it makes the Intercontinental champion look awful. That’s just not the GUNTHER we’ve known and enjoyed for so long now. It seemed to telegraph the SmackDown World Cup winner too, but we’ll see on that.
Not a bad show.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by dahmie2013: 7:53pm On Nov 19, 2022
pu7pl3:
I forgot to watch NXT last night cos I was tired that's why I didn't post anything about.
Make Una no vex
You dey try sef.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:55pm On Nov 19, 2022
dahmie2013:

You dey try sef.

Thanks my guy.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:21am On Nov 22, 2022

You’ll See
Bayley made a great point this week: Asuka & Alexa Bliss aren’t true partners with Bianca Belair. Neither is the artist formerly known as Mia Yim. And the mystery fifth person isn’t either. Bayley surmises the women on Bianca’s team want championship matches more than they want War Games Ws. Damage CTRL is an army, better yet the navy, so they’re all on the same page. But what of Alexa? What of Asuka? What of Michin? Yes, she’s a heel doing what heels do which is to say sowing dissension for an advantage.
But Alexa looks uncomfortable following Bianca’s lead. Many moons ago, I noted that Alexa taking orders is a weird look. Ms. Bliss looked a bit distracted this week, so maybe a heel turn awaits her near future. If Bianca’s team survives War Games and one of her teammates turns on her, please don’t be shocked.
Especially since they’re going into the match without the advantage. Rhea Ripley tangoed with Asuka for the War Games advantage this week and it was...ok. Rhea dominated the first half with nothing but sheer muscle. Asuka turned the table with her quickness and using Ripley’s muscle against her. Damage CTRL hit ringside because watching backstage is no fun, and surprisingly didn’t factor into the finish. Neither did Bianca and Alexa. It’s weird with so much on the line that even the heels didn’t do whatever in their power to tilt things in their direction. But that goes along with a match that, while technically sound, just lacked any excitement.
Even after Rhea got the win via the Riptide, the post-match beatdown felt pedestrian. Raw ended with the commentators running down the Survivor Series card as security pulled the women off of each other as they laid out on the arena floor.
Bayley’s earlier comments add a level of intrigue to the match, definitely. And it’s another example of WWE adding a unique angle in the 11th hour. One that makes me wonder why they tossed it in now instead of weeks ago. But, alas, here we are.
This didn’t feel like a main event of a go home show but neither did the entire show.

Extracurriculars
Clique
Kevin Owens kicked off Raw this week. That enough is a shot in the arm for a show that, at times, lacks a live wire star. KO brought the Brutes and Drew McIntyre with him, and the five men talked up just how much they can’t wait to destroy the Bloodline. KO let everyone know that his beef isn’t with Sami Zayn. Sami is still his boy and he’s not interested in whatever phase of life Sami finds himself in at the moment. Kevin is here for one man and one man only: Roman Reigns. That’s why he joined this War Games team and that’s his only focus.
The Judgment Day approached the ring because no clique comes to Raw without paying the Judgment Day toll. A match ensued with Sheamus, Butch, & Ridge Holland on one side of the ring, and the male Judgment Day members on the other side. Rhea, outside as per usual, thoroughly entertained during the match. Her best moment came when the crowd chanted “Who’s your daddy” at Dominik and she pointed at herself. And KO put her over on commentary as well, telling the world he’s happy she’s not in his War Games match.
The match entertained and was even until The O.C. showed up. The Californiaaaaa Boys blocked Dom’s exit as the young Mysterio ran away from Sheamus. That was just the opening Sheamus needed as he gained all the momentum in the world. Dom soon went down to a Brogue Kick and the entire Judgment Day—minus Rhea—found themselves on the wrong end of a beatdown from The O.C. and the Brutes.
Props for seamlessly connecting these stories, whetting the appetite for Sheamus vs. Finn, and letting Rhea stay above the fray. The backstage brawl between both factions later in the show, which included Mia Yim Michin & Rhea, also kept my interest. These crews hate each other. Finn & AJ at War Games might not be enough for me because I want to see them all in a ring together.

You’re Nobody ‘Till Somebody Kills You
Poor Mustafa Ali. The guy plays the crash test dummy in this war between Bobby Lashley and Austin Theory. Theory and Ali wrestled a fantastic, if short, match. Ali sold a rib injury the entire time, so the chances of a victory were slimmer than someone in Calvin Klein pants. The high points of the match? Ali power bombing Seth then following it with a 450. But, again, the ribs! Everything took a lot out of Ali and Theory is far too motivated right now. Theory got the W and Lashley came calling.
Lashley and Theory got physical but once again, they showed Lashley is too much. He withstood a chair shot from Theory, who isn’t a small or weak dude. Theory ran to the back after realizing exactly what he did, saw Ali, and threw him into Lashley.
You know what happened at that point. Lashley made an example out of Ali, everyone’s favorite rag doll.
I love Theory’s new side and love what they’re doing with Lashley. I still believe Theory needs more time on the mic since his pre-match promo sounded like rambling and just repeating what we already know. But hopefully something comes to Ali for this because he’s taking beatdown after beatdown on the regular.

Just the Two of Us
Elias & Matt Riddle have a good thing going. They showed some dope tandem moves against the Alpha Academy this week, flexed some natural chemistry, and got the win. The question for me is what happens after their thing with the Academy. Is it over? And if so, do they take this tag show on the road and go after Jimmy & Jey Uso? The natural thing, I suppose, is Riddle stuck between his new partner and his old partner whenever Randy Orton comes back.

Gimme Yours
Tozawa wants JBL’s hat. That’s the main takeaway from Drew O’Mac’s match with Baron Corbin. Well, that and we’re probably in store for a feud between Tozawa and Corbin. I was into this JBL & Corbin connection weeks ago but now? It’s type boring. I don’t believe Corbin is the guy JBL says he is so I’m disconnected. Even when it’s a hoss fight, which I normally adore, I find myself watching moves and feeling no emotion. Drew got the W, which is good going into War Games, but it’s still a big meh.

Raw is...boring. The show started strong and Theory vs. Ali worked incredibly well. Especially with Lashley as the added ingredient. But this felt like a normal Monday show instead of the last Raw before WWE’s last big show of the year. While my excitement for Survivor Series isn’t dampened one bit, I’m still disappointed this is how the red brand rolls into Boston.
And I’m not even commenting on Omos vs. Johnny Gargano. Nope, not happening.

Grade: C
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:01am On Nov 23, 2022

Are You Him?
Wes Lee & Carmelo Hayes put on a clinic this week. There’s something special about these two cats together that creates magic. They’re so similar in the ring but polar opposites outside of it. Those different philosophies provide ample storytelling opportunities, but tried and true oneupmanship always gets the job done. After all, they don’t call it “tried and true” for nothing.
I use these words for a few matches but it’s appropriate here: recapping it doesn’t do it justice. I’m not saying it’s the greatest thing ever, just that it’s pretty damn dope and nothing I say will elevate it in a reader’s eyes. Talking about the counters in the beginning of the match, the break neck pace in the middle, and the Trick Williams spot in the final act just seems silly when the match as a whole is worth all your time. Especially as it relates to Wes, a man who needed this win more than anything else. Even as North American champ, Wes felt a little inferior to Hayes. And he never pinned Hayes for the title, so there’s that too. Wes not only did that, but he knows Hayes so intimately that he used a lot of his own tricks—no pun intended—against him. He countered Nothing but Net, subdued Williams, and pinned Melo in the middle of the ring. That he did all this against a man wearing a shirt that simply read “HIM.” made it that much sweeter.
Where does Melo go from here? I’m not sure. He can’t clown Wes anymore or call him a paper champ. I don’t know if he can even go back to the barbershop after this. Bron Breakker’s dance card has no more room, as illustrated tonight through separate vignettes with Apollo Crews and Bron himself. They’re playing into the idea that Bron is a little underwater at the moment. If Crews or JD knocks him off his perch, perhaps that’s the opening for Melo. Plus? Him not going after the NXT championship after all this time just feels kinda silly. Wes is a better champion because of this match and because of all the luster put on that title, thanks in part to Melo.
Speaking of Wes, Dijak is his next challenge. The big man returned to the black and gold brand, without any traces of RETRIBUTION. After weeks, we finally know the man who promised his own “brand of justice” would soon reign in NXT. I don’t see them taking the belt off of Wes right now, but Dijak brings a very different element than Melo or anyone Wes faced so far.
Count me in.

Extracurriculars
Almost Nice
Getting this out of the way early, but I’m very disappointed WWE2K22 is 67 percent off for Black Friday instead of 69 for obvious reasons. Such a wasted opportunity for immature people around the world. Sigh, WWE & 2K. Sigh.

The Chase
Not only one of my favorite Foxy Brown songs, but emblematic of where Chase U found thresmevels this week in the middle of a tag team championship match. And we got here because Pretty Deadly insulted Chase U earlier during the show. The NXT tag champs, along with Grayson Waller, believe Duke Hudson is full of it. You know what “it” is in this case. Grayson thinks this whole Chase U thing is a ruse, while Pretty Deadly are a bit insulted that Duke dons the shirt and hangs with people they consider lesser than. A fight broke out and Duke talked he and Andre Chase into a tag team championship match.
Andre Chase scores with everything he does in NXT right now. His wrestling is no different. Chase is the sympathetic good guy so everything he does packs emotion and it’s fun rooting for him. Pretty Deadly and Duke are no slouches, which is why the match worked so well, but Chase just does more for me.
The story here is whether or not Duke really is sabotaging Chase U from the inside. He does stuff on the regular to make one question his allegiance. This week? After getting the hot tag and getting on a roll against the champs, Duke tagged Andre, who clearly had no business in the ring while he caught his breath and recovered. The two tried a double team maneuver but Duke inadvertently hit Chase with a big boot instead. Or was it inadvertent?
Pretty Deadly got the win with Spilt Milk and Chase U looked united in defeat. But at what point does Andre Chase or Thea Hail ask the same questions posed by Waller and Pretty Deadly?

All Wet
Cora Jade and Wendy Choo wrestled this week and the ending confuses me. The match itself was pretty good, with both women showing their skill and Wendy impressing just as much as Cora. But that ending...
Cora went for her kendo stick because of course, and Wendy blocked her attack. The predictable part was the ref getting the stick out of the ring and missing something. No issue with that since it comes with the territory. But the ref missed Cora throw Wendy’s cup of whatever in Cora’s face. Cora goes for the ph in while the ref counts three while his hand splashes down in multiple puddles.
I know if the ref doesn’t see it then it didn’t happen, but that’s egregious. Obviously this feud isn’t over with Cora cheating for the win, but I wish they went another route to get there.

Diamonds in the Rough
Ivy Nile vs. Kiana James was okay. A couple rough patches, most notably Ivy’s hurracanrana that caused a delayed reaction from Ms. James. But anyway, Ivy got the W here in a relatively quick match that also saw Fallon Henley get in Kiana’s face. I’m more interested in that due to the personalities involved.
The post match is where things got interesting if you’re a fan of the Diamond Mine. The Brothers Creed celebrated Ivy’s win and accepted Sanga & Veer’s challenge. Ivy, who still considers herself Sanga’s friend, put up a small protest. Nothing crazy but she clearly stated her objections to Brutus & Julius. While I love Diamond Mine in theory, the crew just isn’t the same since Stokley ditched diamonds for jade. If this is the beginning of the end, I’m okay with that.

Sooooo...
Scrypts is Reggie. Right? We all agree on that? We should. He looked good because Reggie’s aerial skills are unmatched. Some time in NXT might be good for him.
I’m not sure what I think about the gimmick. It’s a lot, and not all in a bad way. On one hand there’s the entrance, which is really dope with the portraits circling the arena. On the other hand there’s the calling card he leaves on his fallen opponent’s chest. You’re not Spider-Man, Reggie. That’s his bit.

And Just When You Thought it Was Safe...
Here comes Nikkita Lyons to ruin Zoey Stark’s day. Zoey defeated Sol Rocca. Sol keeps improving and this was her best match so far. Letting her lean on her personality until she gets the wrestling kinks ironed out sounds like a good idea but hey, I don’t work for Shawn Michaels. It’s not a match worth seeing if you missed it, especially since the story is Lyons stepping to Zoey after the bell.

Toxic Relationships
Toxic Attraction kicked off the show gloating as per usual. And with good reason. I got a chuckle out of Jacy Jayne referring to Alba Fyre as “Fire bat.” Jacy & Gigi Dolin called out Katana Chance & Kayden Carter because they want “their” titles back. The tag champs happily obliged, a war of words ensued, and the champs found themselves outnumbered because 3>2. But they found their third woman in Nikkita Lyons, who forged a bond with the champs and offered her help for a six-woman tag match.
Color me shocked if Zoey Stark doesn’t interfere in that somehow someway.

We often remark that NXT does a lot in two hours. This was definitely one of those shows where they stuffed a lot into two hours but only some of it truly connected. The main event? Definitely. The Chase U stuff? Of course. Even Bron’s vignette on a boat discussing the weight of the crown caught my attention because it’s a different side for a guy who barks in the ring. But some of the matches, along with the handful of backstage segments, plus Schism taking time out of everyone’s lives to scold us about commercialism and Thanksgiving, made the show feel chaotic with no true rhythm. NXT is at its best when it slows down and moves methodically.

This was not that.

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 11:06am On Nov 25, 2022
Wow, you thought this feud was interesting? It just got 10X more interesting. It's Dom calling Ripley Mummy in front of his real Mummy for me.

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1595915577776050177?t=EhDAbTpXz2dKDpB3FYtgTA&s=19

This was dope stuff, kudos to everyone involved.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 2:32pm On Nov 25, 2022
Glad to see Dijak again. Hope he finds redemption after the horrible retribution gimmick. I was fine with Joe Gacy doing the PC culture mockery psychopath character as it set him apart from others. However, the moment they started this smoke/mirrors Wyatt family thing . It became a bummer. Why should I care about discount Wyatt when I have the original on main roster.
Even in defeat, Melo doesn't miss to impress. Please never break him and Trick up.
It's time for Bron and Mandy to lose those titles as they've held them for too long hence making the main event scene uninteresting.
pu7pl3:

Are You Him?
Wes Lee & Carmelo Hayes put on a clinic this week. There’s something special about these two cats together that creates magic. They’re so similar in the ring but polar opposites outside of it. Those different philosophies provide ample storytelling opportunities, but tried and true oneupmanship always gets the job done. After all, they don’t call it “tried and true” for nothing.
I use these words for a few matches but it’s appropriate here: recapping it doesn’t do it justice. I’m not saying it’s the greatest thing ever, just that it’s pretty damn dope and nothing I say will elevate it in a reader’s eyes. Talking about the counters in the beginning of the match, the break neck pace in the middle, and the Trick Williams spot in the final act just seems silly when the match as a whole is worth all your time. Especially as it relates to Wes, a man who needed this win more than anything else. Even as North American champ, Wes felt a little inferior to Hayes. And he never pinned Hayes for the title, so there’s that too. Wes not only did that, but he knows Hayes so intimately that he used a lot of his own tricks—no pun intended—against him. He countered Nothing but Net, subdued Williams, and pinned Melo in the middle of the ring. That he did all this against a man wearing a shirt that simply read “HIM.” made it that much sweeter.
Where does Melo go from here? I’m not sure. He can’t clown Wes anymore or call him a paper champ. I don’t know if he can even go back to the barbershop after this. Bron Breakker’s dance card has no more room, as illustrated tonight through separate vignettes with Apollo Crews and Bron himself. They’re playing into the idea that Bron is a little underwater at the moment. If Crews or JD knocks him off his perch, perhaps that’s the opening for Melo. Plus? Him not going after the NXT championship after all this time just feels kinda silly. Wes is a better champion because of this match and because of all the luster put on that title, thanks in part to Melo.
Speaking of Wes, Dijak is his next challenge. The big man returned to the black and gold brand, without any traces of RETRIBUTION. After weeks, we finally know the man who promised his own “brand of justice” would soon reign in NXT. I don’t see them taking the belt off of Wes right now, but Dijak brings a very different element than Melo or anyone Wes faced so far.
Count me in.

Extracurriculars
Almost Nice
Getting this out of the way early, but I’m very disappointed WWE2K22 is 67 percent off for Black Friday instead of 69 for obvious reasons. Such a wasted opportunity for immature people around the world. Sigh, WWE & 2K. Sigh.

The Chase
Not only one of my favorite Foxy Brown songs, but emblematic of where Chase U found thresmevels this week in the middle of a tag team championship match. And we got here because Pretty Deadly insulted Chase U earlier during the show. The NXT tag champs, along with Grayson Waller, believe Duke Hudson is full of it. You know what “it” is in this case. Grayson thinks this whole Chase U thing is a ruse, while Pretty Deadly are a bit insulted that Duke dons the shirt and hangs with people they consider lesser than. A fight broke out and Duke talked he and Andre Chase into a tag team championship match.
Andre Chase scores with everything he does in NXT right now. His wrestling is no different. Chase is the sympathetic good guy so everything he does packs emotion and it’s fun rooting for him. Pretty Deadly and Duke are no slouches, which is why the match worked so well, but Chase just does more for me.
The story here is whether or not Duke really is sabotaging Chase U from the inside. He does stuff on the regular to make one question his allegiance. This week? After getting the hot tag and getting on a roll against the champs, Duke tagged Andre, who clearly had no business in the ring while he caught his breath and recovered. The two tried a double team maneuver but Duke inadvertently hit Chase with a big boot instead. Or was it inadvertent?
Pretty Deadly got the win with Spilt Milk and Chase U looked united in defeat. But at what point does Andre Chase or Thea Hail ask the same questions posed by Waller and Pretty Deadly?

All Wet
Cora Jade and Wendy Choo wrestled this week and the ending confuses me. The match itself was pretty good, with both women showing their skill and Wendy impressing just as much as Cora. But that ending...
Cora went for her kendo stick because of course, and Wendy blocked her attack. The predictable part was the ref getting the stick out of the ring and missing something. No issue with that since it comes with the territory. But the ref missed Cora throw Wendy’s cup of whatever in Cora’s face. Cora goes for the ph in while the ref counts three while his hand splashes down in multiple puddles.
I know if the ref doesn’t see it then it didn’t happen, but that’s egregious. Obviously this feud isn’t over with Cora cheating for the win, but I wish they went another route to get there.

Diamonds in the Rough
Ivy Nile vs. Kiana James was okay. A couple rough patches, most notably Ivy’s hurracanrana that caused a delayed reaction from Ms. James. But anyway, Ivy got the W here in a relatively quick match that also saw Fallon Henley get in Kiana’s face. I’m more interested in that due to the personalities involved.
The post match is where things got interesting if you’re a fan of the Diamond Mine. The Brothers Creed celebrated Ivy’s win and accepted Sanga & Veer’s challenge. Ivy, who still considers herself Sanga’s friend, put up a small protest. Nothing crazy but she clearly stated her objections to Brutus & Julius. While I love Diamond Mine in theory, the crew just isn’t the same since Stokley ditched diamonds for jade. If this is the beginning of the end, I’m okay with that.

Sooooo...
Scrypts is Reggie. Right? We all agree on that? We should. He looked good because Reggie’s aerial skills are unmatched. Some time in NXT might be good for him.
I’m not sure what I think about the gimmick. It’s a lot, and not all in a bad way. On one hand there’s the entrance, which is really dope with the portraits circling the arena. On the other hand there’s the calling card he leaves on his fallen opponent’s chest. You’re not Spider-Man, Reggie. That’s his bit.

And Just When You Thought it Was Safe...
Here comes Nikkita Lyons to ruin Zoey Stark’s day. Zoey defeated Sol Rocca. Sol keeps improving and this was her best match so far. Letting her lean on her personality until she gets the wrestling kinks ironed out sounds like a good idea but hey, I don’t work for Shawn Michaels. It’s not a match worth seeing if you missed it, especially since the story is Lyons stepping to Zoey after the bell.

Toxic Relationships
Toxic Attraction kicked off the show gloating as per usual. And with good reason. I got a chuckle out of Jacy Jayne referring to Alba Fyre as “Fire bat.” Jacy & Gigi Dolin called out Katana Chance & Kayden Carter because they want “their” titles back. The tag champs happily obliged, a war of words ensued, and the champs found themselves outnumbered because 3>2. But they found their third woman in Nikkita Lyons, who forged a bond with the champs and offered her help for a six-woman tag match.
Color me shocked if Zoey Stark doesn’t interfere in that somehow someway.

We often remark that NXT does a lot in two hours. This was definitely one of those shows where they stuffed a lot into two hours but only some of it truly connected. The main event? Definitely. The Chase U stuff? Of course. Even Bron’s vignette on a boat discussing the weight of the crown caught my attention because it’s a different side for a guy who barks in the ring. But some of the matches, along with the handful of backstage segments, plus Schism taking time out of everyone’s lives to scold us about commercialism and Thanksgiving, made the show feel chaotic with no true rhythm. NXT is at its best when it slows down and moves methodically.

This was not that.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 2:33pm On Nov 25, 2022
Biko Is this labaja or do my eyes deceive me?

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 2:37pm On Nov 25, 2022
That's what having a big tiddy dominatrix for a gf does to you. Makes you beatup the man who went through a fricking ladder match to claim custody of you cry
pu7pl3:
Wow, you thought this feud was interesting? It just got 10X more interesting. It's Dom calling Ripley Mummy in front of his real Mummy for me.

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1595915577776050177?t=EhDAbTpXz2dKDpB3FYtgTA&s=19

This was dope stuff, kudos to everyone involved.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:31pm On Nov 25, 2022
samistry:
Glad to see Dijak again. Hope he finds redemption after the horrible retribution gimmick. I was fine with Joe Gacy doing the PC culture mockery psychopath character as it set him apart from others. However, the moment they started this smoke/mirrors Wyatt family thing . It became a bummer. Why should I care about discount Wyatt when I have the original on main roster.
Even in defeat, Melo doesn't miss to impress. Please never break him and Trick up.
It's time for Bron and Mandy to lose those titles as they've held them for too long hence making the main event scene uninteresting.

I think Bronns title scene ist still interesting.
You're right about Mandy, Raw or SD should be her next destination.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:32pm On Nov 25, 2022
samistry:

grin grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:33pm On Nov 25, 2022
samistry:
That's what having a big tiddy dominatrix for a gf does to you. Makes you beatup the man who went through a fricking ladder match to claim custody of you cry

They giving off strong sexual vibes everytime they together grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:55am On Nov 26, 2022

Sami Zayn is a liar.
We learned this during Friday Night SmackDown this week, when Jey Uso caught him in a lie while listening at the door to Kevin Owens do his best to get into Zayn’s head, further sowing the seeds of dissent. Jey asked if he had spoken to anyone since he arrived. Zayn said “no.”
Oh the tangled web we weave.
Moments before, Owens was asking him questions of his own, namely what Sami is going to do when The Bloodline — and more specifically Roman Reigns — turns their ire toward him. He’s seen how The Tribal Chief treats his own flesh and blood. What makes Sami think it won’t be even worse for him?
And if it was Owens, he said, “I would strike first.”
It works so well for the story because it’s a legitimately compelling case. The Bloodline, or at least the entirety of it, really hasn’t fully accepted Zayn. They’ve mostly done so, but not so much that it can be trusted. Of course, Sami can’t much be trusted either, as we well know.
And now Jey, if he didn’t before, certainly knows that now.
But that’s the beauty of it how this story has played out. That it was Jey who heard this could very well be the set up to the swerve. Will the others believe him when he tells them of Sami’s lies? Does he still have their trust enough to earn their belief in his words?
And what will it mean for the War Games match?
Later, Sami appeared as thought he was going to continue right along with The Bloodline, only for Owens to get in the way and manipulate the situation enough to give Sheamus the chance to hit the Brogue Kick to score the win and give the babyface team the advantage. Zayn could be painted as the bad guy there, but it at least seemed he was sticking with The Bloodline.
Maybe that plays into his next decision. He tried to stay the course, and got burned. Does it go the same way when he’s faced with his next decision?
This entire story has been incredible, and they really did a great job with driving the narrative in a way that maximizes interest on the final episode of TV before it all plays out on Peacock and pay-per-view.

All the rest
-Becky Lynch is back! She was announced as the fifth and final member of Team Bianca Belair in their War Games match at Survivor Series against Team Damage CTRL. She’s a fitting choice, considering she was last seen battling with that very group before going out injured. They brawled on this show and she gave a brief interview later playing the hits with her “man comes around” gimmick. It’s good to have her back.

-BUTCH lost to Santos Escobar in the semifinals of the SmackDown World Cup because Legado del Fantasma had the massive numbers advantage thanks to Sheamus and Ridge Holland being distracted by a brawl that broke out featuring their War Games teammates. This was an easy way to get BUTCH back to that program and away from this and advance Escobar without sacrificing him to it. Finishes like this don’t feel the best, of course, but it is what it is.

-Bray Wyatt was back this week with his unnecessarily long entrance — rough for TV, but certainly incredible for the live audience — to lie to us and say he had nothing to do with the attack on LA Knight. Uncle Howdy demanded he “wake up” from the Titantron. Knight got some interview time, and the funny part of all this is as a pure entertainer, just a guy with a microphone talking you into something, Knight is far more entertaining, at least in the traditional sense. We’re left to see where it goes from here, but it’s yet another week with very little storyline development.

-The Viking Raiders beat up on Hit Row to make it very clear where everyone stands in the pecking order in the tag team division on the blue brand right now. Hit Row’s stock is plummeting while Erik, Ivar, and the newly christened Valhalla are on the rise.

-WWE went ahead and had Ricochet beat Braun Strowman, though they did get Imperium involved a bit to get there. After the fact, they made sure to have Imperium put the boots to Strowman and Ricochet come down to save him. This both served to get Ricochet over as the true blue babyface he is while also allowing for Strowman to endorse Ricochet after the fact when they were both overwhelmed. This, then, they surely hope will serve to put the whole thing behind everyone. This was booked about as well as it could have been, all things considered.

-Ronda Rousey and Shayna Baszler launched a surprise attack on Raquel Rodriguez backstage minutes before a planned tag match that also included Shotzi. Naturally, Rodriguez tried to heroically enter the match late and ended up losing it for the team. Shotzi would later say Rodriguez suffered a broken arm and dislocated elbow because of all this, and it meant the world to her that Raquel would have her back because she’d been bullied before but never had someone be there for her like this. So, in her friend’s honor, she would fight like hell to get payback at Survivor Series. It’s a better story than they had been giving us, I’ll say that!
I really liked this show. It was a pretty damn good go home episode. It was notable for actually feeling like a go home show for once.

Grade: B+

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 12:47pm On Nov 27, 2022
samistry:
Literally the same thing I thought on seeing him.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 12:55pm On Nov 27, 2022
The moment it was time for the second Bloodline member to join Jey in the ring, my gut knew it would be Sami. I saw Jimmy raring to go and just thought, "Roman will pull him back and send Sami instead". And moments later, that's exactly what happened. It's a great feeling whenever you correctly predict a great story beat.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:44pm On Nov 27, 2022
WWE SURVIVOR SERIES REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Characters Welcome
Sami Zayn is the MVP of WWE right now. Hands down. Roman Reigns is my guy in the territory right now because I think he’s the best all-around doing it, but as far as who is the most important cat on the roster, who plays the most important role in WWE’s best story? That’s Zayn. Sami carried the emotion tonight, starting with a one-on-one convo with Roman before the match. Roman asked Sami if he talked to Kevin Owens on the most recent SmackDown episode. And if so, why did he lie to Jey Uso? Sami looked Roman in the eyes, answered his questions, and explained his actions. Roman seemed pleased but he’s still a paranoid mob boss, so that satisfaction only goes but so far. That didn’t stop the question from looming over the main event: Was Sami loyal to the Best Man at his wedding or to The Bloodline? His family or his adopted family?
The story developed in the simplest way during the War Games match: Sami and Jey working together against the Brawling Brutes. Butch dismantled Jey when the match started, picking apart his fingers and elbows. Then Ridge Holland crashed the party with his own brand of pain. So when the timer stopped at zero and the Bloodline cage opened, Jimmy Uso happily stepped out. But as soon as he did, Roman grabbed him by the arm and motioned for Sami to leave the cage and enter the ring. What better way to test Sami’s loyalty and cook the beef between he and Jey than putting them together in a fight for their lives? Sami hesitated but eventually got in the ring. Jey begrudgingly worked with him but snapped a few times, despite the fact Sami saved him from taking a boot to the face while pinned against the cage. No matter what Sami did, it just wasn’t enough for Jey.
Even after Jimmy entered and saved the both of them from a three-on-two courtesy of Ridge, Butch, & Drew McIntyre, Jey and Sami still went at each other. Well, mostly Jey going at Sami until Sami snapped back out of frustration. What more did he need to do? How many more ways could he prove his loyalty to the crew? We soon found out when Kevin Owens entered the ring, followed by Solo Sikoa, Sheamus, and Roman Reigns.
Shortly after the match officially began, Butch tangled with Roman. Sami attacked Butch like a rabid dog and asked if Butch knew who Roman was? After verbally and physically disrespecting Butch, Sami held him in position for a Jey Uso superkick. But Butch ducked, Jey hit Sami instead. Jimmy tried helping Sami to his feet but Jey said “nah.” Well, he said da lot of things but that was the gist. Roman eventually regained his footing and the battle continued but this time between KO and Roman.
That’s what it’s all about, right? For Sami, those two represent the fulcrum of his entire story. Is he loyal to his best friend or the Tribal Chief? Roman and Kevin dealt big blows but both survived the other’s best shot. Until KO hit Roman with that stunner and that’s when Sami made his appearance. Zayn grabbed the ref’s hand before it hit the mat for a three count, which served as the catalyst for an argument between Owens and Zayn. Sami hit KO with a low blow but looked torn.
As Cole pointed out, he low blowed his Best Man and lifelong friend. Sami’s facial expressions and body language after that low blow said more than any punch or suplex. But he made a choice and for Sami, this felt like the point of no return. He got on one knee and talked to a recuperating Roman, got a head nod from the Head of the Table, and nailed KO with a Helluva Kick. And he did all of this with Jey watching and waiting in the wings.
Owens dropped to the mat, Sami looked at Jey, and signaled that KO was all his. Jey shook his head, took the top rope, hit KO with an Uso splash, and got the big victory for The Bloodline.
Roman, showing the emotion he seemingly only shows with Sami, hugged the honorary Uce, with a giant bear hug from Jey Uso coming right after. Jey damn near hugged the life out of Sami. The Bloodline stood tall and, more importantly, stood together as the credits rolled.
Sami proved his loyalty and as he told Roman when the show ended, he’s loyal to him today, yesterday, and tomorrow. If he said it, he meant it, biting his tongue for no one.
This was just dope from beginning to end. As I said, this is WWE’s best story and they keep finding fresh angles. A story of Sami turning on the crew for his best friend seemed like the obvious route to go here. Instead, we got one about a man truly at his wits end and pulling out all the stops just for a little acceptance from a group in which he truly believes and loves.
But none of it works without Sami. Not the match, not the angle, not any of its intricacies work without Sami Zayn hitting home runs every at every plate appearance.

Characters Welcome Part Deux
Everyone on the has a thing that draws them into the professional sports entertainment wrestling world. Some of us focus on the in-ring action, some are all about a specific style—shoutout to Valeelove and his love for a sports based theme—while others are really into mic work. I’m all about characters and how the in-ring product mirrors who the wrestlers are as people. Well, wrestling’s facsimile of them anyway.
The Women’s War Games match had all of that in spades. Yes, of course, violence ruled the day because it’s called “War Games.” We got trash cans, kendo sticks, tables, ladders, and even handcuffs. But how all those things happened, along with the order of entrants, put the match over the top in my eyes.
Bianca Belair started the match because she’s the captain. Everything we know about Bianca says she’s not letting anyone else on her squad start the match. Especially knowing her team doesn’t have the advantage. Bianca started against Dakota Kai, then along came IYO SKY. Booking the tag team champs against the Raw Women’s champ and team leader? Perfect sense. It ups the ante for Bianca and underlines Damage CTRL’s two on one advantage. Bianca did her best but the tag champs dominated her as they should. Asuka hit the ring next and squared off with IYO, as WWE keeps teasing a solo feud between these two and why it needs to happen. Nikki Cross showed up next and rather than enter the ring, she pulled out the plunder.
Putting that responsibility on Nikki’s shoulders is perfectly in keeping with the character. She’s a wild card that Bayley harnessed for her purposes. That wild card threw in trash cans, kendo sticks, and immediately turned the match into a backyard brawl. Alexa Bliss heard her name next, and, like any good tag partner, sought out her partner and went to work. When they called Bayley’s number, she brought out the ladder and the table, but dropped all of that when she set her sights on Bianca.
Then came Mia Yim, who happily upped the violence with trash cans—took her a while—but changed the tone because, like Nikki, she marches to her own drum. Rhea, Bayley’s last ace up her sleeve, turned the field with raw power. She handled Alexa with ease, and cleared the ring.
But then the Man came around, and everything changed. Booking Becky as the last entrant was smart. Besides the fact she’s coming off injury, it built anticipation for her eventual arrival. Much like Rhea wiped the floor with the babyfaces, Becky did the same with the heels, beckoning them to come get some if they felt lucky. And after a lot of chaos, the match finished the way it started: with character.
Nikki wanted her revenge on Alexa and tried handcuffing her to the cage. But Alexa outsmarted her former friend, and handcuffed them to each other, then dropped Nikki on her back with an Electric Chair Drop. Rhea, recovering from Asuka’s green mist, found herself in a sleeper hold courtesy of Mia. But using that power she showed when the match started, Rhea feel backwards into a ladder which broke the hold, broke Mia, and possibly broke herself in the process.
This meant Damage CTRL, Bianca, and Becky were the last women standing. Becky wanted her vengeance on those three women for putting her out of commission and Bianca has beef as well. Kai & SKY found themselves in precarious positions on a table, Bayley took a KOD into the cage, and Becky launched herself from the top of the cage onto Dakota & IYO’s limp bodies on top of the table.
The rich team won, the right people finished the match, and everything made sense. This was damn fine storytelling and displayed so much character in the process.

Extracurriculars
Number One with a Bullet
AJ Styles is, according to this match, the better Bullet Club leader. The match between Styles and Finn Balor wasn’t fancy. It was pure technical wrestling with one brawl mixed in just to get Judgment Day and The O.C. off the board. The factions battled into the audience and might still be fighting somewhere in Boston.
I’m surprised the match didn’t get that much time but I also shouldn’t be. They sandwiched it between the opening War Games match and the SmackDown Women’s championship match. They went for a little psychology when AJ beat up on Finn’s knee, but that never factored into the outcome. Finn thought he handled AJ with a kick to the head while they battled between rings, but AJ recovered and hit his challenger with a Phenomenal Forearm.

Taps
That headline refers to the way Ronda Rousey successfully defended her title against Shotzi, and how I wish someone played that tune when the match ended. That was bowling shoe ugly, to borrow a term. No rhythm, no fluidity, and no real character stuff outside of Ronda’s usual trash talking. The less said about this match the bettie sooooo...

New Theory
If you didn’t expect the triple threat match for the United States championship to bang, then I don’t know what to tell you. Austin Theory is the new champion after an incredible three-way dance. And that’s poetic because Bobby Lashley and Seth Rollins both dismissed Theory from the ring at the start of the match. Bobby and Seth wanted each other and Theory, to them, felt inconsequential. But he hung around, despite their best efforts. Theory survived a Hurt Lock, a double Hurt Lock, and reminded everyone he’s not an afterthought. He literally fell into a win when he landed on Seth Rollins after Rollins, who positioned Theory for a Falcon Arrow, found himself on the wrong end of a spear from Lashley.
Every once in a while I say there’s a match you really need to watch if you missed the show. This is that match.

There was one dud of the show. Everything else succeeded or succeeded with flying colors.

Grade: A

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 8:52pm On Nov 27, 2022
How do you kick off your first War Games PPV on the main roster? You get the Prince of Darkness himself, Ozzy Osbourne to do the intro. I don't fück with metal but have to admit he did justice to the intro and War Pigs might get me to consider the genre.

I actually feel Team Damage CTRL should've won this to cement their dominance in the women's division. Unless they'll be using this to set up a Becky vs Ronda match, I don't really see the point of having Becky get the W.

Also, they should've had Bayley tease the table, then disappoint and mock the crowd. Then have Michin give the people the table they want. She could've used the pop.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 1:43pm On Nov 28, 2022
Kaycee7:
How do you kick off your first War Games PPV on the main roster? You get the Prince of Darkness himself, Ozzy Osbourne to do the intro. I don't fück with metal but have to admit he did justice to the intro and War Pigs might get me to consider the genre.

I actually feel Team Damage CTRL should've won this to cement their dominance in the women's division. Unless they'll be using this to set up a Becky vs Ronda match, I don't really see the point of having Becky get the W.

Also, they should've had Bayley tease the table, then disappoint and mock the crowd. Then have Michin give the people the table they want. She could've used the pop.

Drop your CV make I forward am to Hunter for this creative genius bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 5:37pm On Nov 28, 2022
pu7pl3:

Drop your CV make I forward am to Hunter for this creative genius bro.
Make I update am, add creative wrestling writing for my skills.

(1) (2) (3) ... (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) ... (298) (Reply)

Cuando Seas Mia: 'When You Are Mine' / ARROW and THE FLASH fan page....... / Top 15 Nollywood Stars Who Have Passed Away In Recent Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 224
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.