Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,613 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:14 PM

Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House - TV/Movies (273) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House (288708 Views)

Games Of Thrones: House Of The Dragon Official Discussion Thread / Nigerians Storm Gotv Facebook Page Over WWE / Rachel Johnson Goes Topless On Live TV Show During Brexit Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) ... (298) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 7:38am On Oct 23, 2022
No Halloween Havoc review?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:13am On Oct 23, 2022
samistry:
No Halloween Havoc review?

It's cooking
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:15am On Oct 23, 2022
WWE NXT HALLOWEEN HAVOC REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Backdraft
JD McDonagh really wanted Bron Breakker and Ilja Dragunov to fight each other. That was his whole plan for the match and at times, that’s exactly what he got. But not at first. Bron and Ilja fought each other for first dibs on JD. Despite their small issues with each other, their beef with JD was fully-cooked. They nearly killed each other to kill JD. A very cool moment for the opening minutes that established the tone. Eventually, Bron and Ilja fought but they saw McDonagh reveling in his works. Legit reveling too, with clapping and everything.
That was the moment the match turned. Breakker & Dragunov double teamed JD, with the best moment being a Frankensteiner leading into a powerbomb. After a lot of back and forth, that bullseye McDonagh put on his back got bigger and bigger. JD’s ultimate plan backfired in a major way as Dragunov eventually took him out. That’s what JD asked for and he got it. A predictable outcome for the villain of the piece and a satisfying one. The irony here is Bron executed JD’s plan better. The animosity between Dragunov and McDonagh superseded everything else for both men. Dragunov spent so much time focused on JD in those last moments that he had nothing left for Bron. One spear later and Bron is still the champ.
Surprisingly, no cash in or even a hint at one. That’s not a knock since the match was brilliant, but it’s weird using that as a hook going into Halloween Havoc and not even give us a taste of it is just...off.

Extracurriculars
My Time is Now
Through real life events, Wes Lee found himself in one hell of a story. Lee lost his tag partner about a year ago and was rudderless. He picked fights with any and everyone he believed disrespected him in hopes of finding his mojo. He eventually earned Carmelo Hayes and Trick Williams’ collective ire. Either because they saw him as a threat or just because they like picking on people. You decide which option makes sense. But with that in mind, a Lee victory meant going through Hayes. No matter what, that was the only option for Lee, and probably anyone else in the ladder match. I’m a huge Melo fan but seeing Lee get the W over his body felt good. Even for me.
This was a hell of a ladder match. Every wrestler got their moment in the sun. Even Von Wagner! But the story and most compelling stuff for me involved Lee. He took a beating during this match. From getting tossed through the commentary table to getting beat with the ladder. They left Wes for dead at several different moments in the match and it really looked like Melo might win. With everyone dispatched, he climbed the ladder. Slower than usual based on the beating he took but also showing his hubris. Melo’s fatal flaw is his arrogance. Lee’s strength, and flaw, is the fact he doesn’t give up. With his back turned towards Lee as he climbed, Melo found himself meeting a ladder rung head first thanks to Lee’s reemergence.
But that wasn’t enough for Lee. After enduring all that torture from the A Champ, Wes had other plans in mind. He placed a stumbling Melo on another ladder (lots of ladders in this match) and launched himself on top of Melo’s limp body. The perfect exclamation point to the match and a statement on how much both men despise each other.
Wes climbed the ladder, grabbed the belt, and savored the moment.
Job. Well. Done.

Apollo’s Spooky Charriot
Apollo Crews finally vanquished Grayson Waller. But that’s not the real story here. Apparently Crews is also spooky? This match is essentially two parts and the first ended after Waller poked Crews in the eye with a pen. This story contains more stabs and shots of bloody eyes than an Italian horror flick. Anyway, Waller took advantage of Crews’ impairment and pushed him into a casket. Of course, this was a very cheap casket unlike the ones which we’re accustomed in WWE. And because the match rules clearly state the casket door must close on top of an opponent, That’s the point we discover Crews’ spooky powers. The lights go out and Apollo is back on his feet with the druids in tow—with another casket—when the lights come back on.
Clearly at that point, with him resurrecting, Apollo wasn’t losing this match. And he didn’t.
All of this stuff with Apollo is inconsistent and weird and Valeelove won't be proud.

Good Friends...
If there’s one story Shawn Michaels knows exceedingly well, it’s the “good friends, better enemies” story. That’s Roxanne Perez & Cora Jade in a nutshell. These two chose violence tonight while infusing some emotion into the proceedings. Mostly anger, but still emotion. The three big moments: Roxanne & Cora going at it with skateboards, Roxanne & Perez going down together off the NXT platform, and the final spot involving chairs. Their friendship ended with chairs so it’s only fitting that the match end with chairs also. Also fitting that Cora falls prey to them after introducing them to the chat.
This was a logical match with a logical conclusion to this feud. Or maybe a pause?

Brotherly Love
There’s a moment in this ambulance match where Julius Creed found himself in an unenviable position. Damon Kemp put him in the ambulance and closed the door. But it didn’t shut because Creed’s fingers blocked it. In fact, his fingers blocked the door multiple times. Julius Creed knew the stakes were so high in this match for him that putting his body on the line was necessary. The man sacrificed his working digits for his brother and the Diamond Mine. But mostly for his brother. That moment sold me on the match so much that nothing else after truly mattered or hit as hard. Even Julius winning! The match itself, outside of that moment and a few others, was a bit messy. But most ambulance matches are, so that’s not a knock so much as the reality.
But that moment with the fingers...

The Champ Stay the Champ
Mandy Rose is still the champ! After enduring Alba Fyre’s haunted house (?) through a good portion of Halloween Havoc, the champ overcame the odds through outsmarting her opponent. Again. Toxic Attraction interfered when the ref turned his back, and Mandy took advantage as she normally does.
Meh. Meh for the match and for Alba’s haunted attractions.

Halloween Havoc packed in a lot of good wrestling. The show felt a little long in the tooth tough, with too many backstage interviews and a haunted house segment that felt like a swing and a miss.

Grade: B
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 12:07pm On Oct 24, 2022
pu7pl3:

Apollo’s Spooky Charriot
Apollo Crews finally vanquished Grayson Waller. But that’s not the real story here. Apparently Crews is also spooky? This match is essentially two parts and the first ended after Waller poked Crews in the eye with a pen. This story contains more stabs and shots of bloody eyes than an Italian horror flick. Anyway, Waller took advantage of Crews’ impairment and pushed him into a casket. Of course, this was a very cheap casket unlike the ones which we’re accustomed in WWE. And because the match rules clearly state the casket door must close on top of an opponent, That’s the point we discover Crews’ spooky powers. The lights go out and Apollo is back on his feet with the druids in tow—with another casket—when the lights come back on.
Clearly at that point, with him resurrecting, Apollo wasn’t losing this match. And he didn’t.
All of this stuff with Apollo is inconsistent and weird and Valeelove won't be proud.
thanks for the acknowledgment Pu7pl3, I appreciate.
If there's one thing we know it's that Apollo is a better wrestler than actor, but yet they make him do this. And I feel so bad for my boy Waller. They wish to ruin him before he even steps in the main roster. Your best athlete and your best heel and this is how they are rewarded. Sheesh Michaels.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:22pm On Oct 24, 2022
ValeeLove:

thanks for the acknowledgment Pu7pl3, I appreciate.
If there's one thing we know it's that Apollo is a better wrestler than actor, but yet they make him do this. And I feel so bad for my boy Waller. They wish to ruin him before he even steps in the main roster. Your best athlete and your best heel and this is how they are rewarded. Sheesh Michaels.

I think on NXT Apollo is making all these creative decisions himself tbh...
I'm not seeing Micheal's signature on this at all.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:22pm On Oct 24, 2022
pu7pl3:

I think on NXT Apollo is making all these creative decisions himself tbh...
I'm not seeing Micheal's signature on this at all.
how sure are you about this? I'll still blame Michaels...for...letting...him...do...it. Apollo has no pedigree in theatrics to be allowed to do that. He soured in the ring, let him continue doing that except he's beginning to doubt his abilities.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:04pm On Oct 24, 2022
ValeeLove:
how sure are you about this? I'll still blame Michaels...for...letting...him...do...it. Apollo has no pedigree in theatrics to be allowed to do that. He soured in the ring, let him continue doing that except he's beginning to doubt his abilities.

I'm like 70% sure it's his brain child...Micheal is only involved in sacrificing Waller and I don't appreciate that either.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:25am On Oct 25, 2022
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

You Know Her Name
Shoutout to the fan with the “Eddie is your real father” sign. I see you, sir, and salute your disrespect. The second MVP of Raw’s opening segment was Rhea Ripley. She owned everything the second the Judgment Day hit the ring. Whether it was the looks, her body language, or her side comments (emphatically backing up Dom’s comment about being built differently), she killed it. That continued during Finn Balor’s match with Karl Anderson. Even with this story about Finn feeling betrayed by the club that he started, Rhea steals the show. Even with a good match between Karl and Finn, Rhea is the star. Which happens when she power slams Luke Gallows. Not only did she power slam a man that large, but she talked her ish when he hit the ground.
Rhea’s kept the pain train going when she hit the ring and hit Anderson harder where the sun doesn’t shine when the ref turned his back. That painful blow was just enough for Finn to get the W.
I don’t like this story as much as the one with Rey Mysterio, and I do hope this detour is purely for Crown Royal Jewel reasons. But it’s still entertaining mostly because of everything Rhea does or doesn’t do.

Extracurriculars
For the Love of Mac and Cheese
Miz wrestled R-Truth based on a dispute about North Carolina macaroni and cheese. Miz initially hit the ring for some Dexter Lumis updates. Johnny Wrestling says Miz isn’t telling the truth about his beef with Dexter or what happened to Ciampa. Saying “truth” that many times in a WWE ring is like saying Candyman five times in a mirror. Except you get R-Truth and not Tony Todd. Hence the match over Carolina food.
I was not entertained even though I agree with Truth’s motivation. Hopefully we get some resolution to this Dexter/Miz thing next week.

Nikki No Longer a Superhero
Bayley on one side of the ring. Bianca Belair on the other side of the ring. No title on the line, no nothing on the line really. Sure, Damage CNTRL beat up Candice LeRae earlier but there was nothing on the line here for either woman, which feels like a miss after their last encounter. But it’s indicative of a show where a bunch of things happened that didn’t really add up to much. Bianca and Bayley are great wrestlers. Of course they put on a technically sound match. The problem is the lack of stakes. We did this already: Damage CNTRL beats up someone, Bianca comes to the rescue, a match ensues. At a certain point, this angle needs another gear.
Is Nikki Cross that gear?
Nikki, sans superhero gear, appeared in the third act. The ref tossed out Dakota & IYO. But before he got the chance to be extra exaggerated with his motions, Nikki jumped from the top rope and took out the ref along with Dakota & IYO. She turned her attention to Bianca, which allowed Bayley to get the W, and then beat up Bayley as well. Nikki stood tall as the show finished.
Seeing this version of Nikki on Raw is cool. Not sure that’s the big angle to end the show though. Especially this show, which was underwhelming at best.

Peace Up...
Seth Rollins fears Mustafa Ali. That’s the bottomline for anyone following this story. The United States champion interjected himself in a match between Ali and Austin Theory. He coached Theory from commentary, while Theory simply wanted a piece of Ali because he’s a bully who beats up on people who don’t have the glide path he does. So all of this fits pretty neatly together.
This was a good match though! Ali is a natural babyface and Theory makes good guys look great. Without Seth distracting the referee, Ali wins this match. But, yeah, that happened. So Theory goes home with the win, while Ali gets beat up after the match because Seth believes he’s not on his level. Desperate heel move that I love and I hope their match delivers on this promise.
But what’s going on with Theory? One week he’s not on Raw but shows up on NXT teasing a cash-in for the NXT championship. Then that doesn’t happen and he shows up on Raw. I’m confused and, as always, need someone to make it make sense and I'm sure Valeelove is going to have a field day shitting on this.

ELIAS!
I’m a huge Elias fan. I admit that and feel no shame. So I’m thrilled whenever he picks up a W. After last week, I figured the United States championship was in his future. Maybe it is, but as of this week, he’s entering something with Riddle at his side. Possibly. Alpha Academy rudely interrupted Elias and Riddle, resulting in a match between Gable and Elias. The best moment of the match came when Gable went for a beautiful moonsault and caught an Elias knee lift right in his jaw. It was timed perfectly and a thing of beauty.
More importantly, Elias picked up the win. Otis attacked him after the match and Riddle ran down for the assist. Okay match with one really cool moment.

Guess What?
Omos beat up some jobbers...which is supposed to scare Braun Strowman? Okay, sure, man.

Wrestling...God?
Baron Corbin wrestled Johnny Gargano because the latter pissed off JBL. How? His mere existence and the fact he spent a decade in single A. Definitely a JBL thing to say and do so I’m not mad at that. But Corbin, at least in the ring, doesn’t scream “wrestling god.” In fact, he barely screams at all. Corbin is a bit boring as a wrestler. The most entertaining part of this match was Johnny Wrestling taking JBL’s hat and mocking the Texan.
Of course, he loss the match as a result of all that mocking since he let himself get way too distracted. But I just wasn’t digging the match as a whole. I love what JBL is doing but I don’t think he and Corbin are a good fit. JBL is a larger than life personality and Corbin barely has a personality.
Someone asked Baron if he’s a god and he said yes when he should’ve said no.

This was not a great show. In fact, it might be the worst Raw in a long time. The show had a spark when it started but quickly flamed out.

Grade: C-
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 4:49pm On Oct 25, 2022
pu7pl3:

But what’s going on with Theory? One week he’s not on Raw but shows up on NXT teasing a cash-in for the NXT championship. Then that doesn’t happen and he shows up on Raw. I’m confused and, as always, need someone to make it make sense and I'm sure Valeelove is going to have a field day shitting on this.
thanks for the mention Pu7pl3. I appreciate.
I'm glad you're finally seeing what I saw. I don't know what to say about this situation. Is it time to throw away the Money In The Bank idea? Because, let's be frank, the last cash-ins haven't been memorable. I can hardly remember them. That briefcase seems to have ran its course. If they can't manage that idea, then they should scrap it or take away the unexpected match rule...just do something because right now Theory is becoming a joke. These subtle things register in the minds of the viewers and when they are ready to, no one will take him serious eventually. They can also fire him if they don't have plans for him.
Plus maybe they did the NXT thing to get eyes on the PPV so people would anticipate him cashing in.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:15pm On Oct 25, 2022
ValeeLove:

thanks for the mention Pu.7pl3. I appreciate.
I'm glad you're finally seeing what I saw. I don't know what to say about this situation. Is it time to throw away the Money In The Bank idea? Because, let's be frank, the last cash-ins haven't been memorable. I can hardly remember them. That briefcase seems to have ran its course. If they can't manage that idea, then they should scrap it or take away the unexpected match rule...just do something because right now Theory is becoming a joke. These subtle things register in the minds of the viewers and when they are ready to, no one will take him serious eventually. They can also fire him if they don't have plans for him.
Plus maybe they did the NXT thing to get eyes on the PPV so people would anticipate him cashing in.

Maybe they shouldn't scrap it but actually give it to someone they have plans for.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:10pm On Oct 25, 2022
pu7pl3:

Maybe they shouldn't scrap it but actually give it to someone they have plans for.
will it matter? Corbin won it, didn't do anything with it. Same with Sandow, Sheamus, Big E and the rest. Even Otis. NON of them did anything worthy with it. That thing seems like it has ran its course. The quality of names it has created has drastically gone down. Even Royal Rumble sef is gradually becoming worthless, but there's still hope for that one.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:20pm On Oct 25, 2022
ValeeLove:
will it matter? Corbin won it, didn't do anything with it. Same with Sandow, Sheamus, Big E and the rest. Even Otis. NON of them did anything worthy with it. That thing seems like it has ran its course. The quality of names it has created has drastically gone down. Even Royal Rumble sef is gradually becoming worthless, but there's still hope for that one.

Sheamus and Big E did quite well and have done well.
But maybe you're right, they should shelve it for sometime.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:24pm On Oct 25, 2022
pu7pl3:

Sheamus and Big E did quite well and have done well.
But maybe you're right, they should shelve it for sometime.
I disagree. Sheamus won it to push Reigns in a story while Big E had one of the worst reigns of all time. And it's still sad today. I hope he gets well.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:13am On Oct 26, 2022
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Diana Ross
This week we got the Malik Blade & Edris Enofé coming out party. Wrestling Pretty Deadly for the NXT tag titles is the biggest moment of their careers and they answered the call with the speed of a 911 operator. I’m putting it this high because it was a great match that everyone reading this should see, but I also feel like my words won’t do it justice. The simple summary is they put the champs on the ropes and the match subverted expectations at several moments where the heels normally prosper. While they eventually did, it took a lot out of them.
There’s never shame in losing to the champs and I believe this showing did a lot more for them than it did for Pretty Deadly. And that’s taking nothing away from the tag champs, either. They made Malik & Edris look really good, especially as a team who took their opponents way too lightly. And their priceless facial expressions at several moments said it all. To borrow a phrase from my favorite football coach, Malik & Edris took the champs to the deep end and almost drowned them.
Rarely do we get to see wrestlers take that next step right before our eyes. Take this opportunity to do just that.

Extracurriculars
Rock Music
Ava Raine is the newest member of The Schism! She’s the mystery person! A true “holy sh*t” moment if there ever was one. The Schism just got a lot more interesting. And by that, I mean they just got interesting.

War
Ilja Dragunov did all in his power. But with busted ribs and battle scars from Halloween Havoc, he never really stood a chance against JD McDonagh. The match started perfectly with The Czar going after JD during the latter’s entrance. Eventually, the battle took a toll on Ilja’s body and the medical team almost stopped the match. I initially thought that was a bad move, especially coming so early into the match, but it worked. Once the match continued, things went to another level. JD took control but Ilja showed the fire for which he’s famous, even while selling the psychology of the injury and JD going after it constantly.
Eventually, Ilja just gave in to the pain. Not voluntarily, mind you. His body gave out during a submission and the ref called the match. Too much punishment from JD and too much strain made this one academic. Ilja’s bloody face and going out of the ring on a stretcher was a nice touch too, selling the match’s brutality and the utter distaste these men have for one another.
Great main event even if it didn’t have the best flow due to the early stoppage.

Still the Champs. Still a Real Team
I clapped when this match ended. One because I’m a fan of Katana Chance & Kayden Carter. Two, because it was a really good match with an unpredictable finish. Nikkita Lyons & Zoey Stark got close. They got really close. In fact, they actually won for a moment. But the match restarted when the head ref notified the other ref that Chance wasn’t legal when Stark pinned her shoulders to the mat. I always find it weird when WWE employs this device. It’s like if you can do it once why not always do it? But, alas, here we are.
Once the match restarted, all hell broke loose. Chance & Carter played a little game of divide and conquer, exercising their experience as a tag team over their opponents’ inexperience. Despite the fact Stark & Lyons dressed alike, which was a very nice touch, they weren’t quite as ready as they believed.

BTO
Shotzi took on Lash Legend this week since Ms. Legend disrespected Shotzi at Halloween Havoc. The brawling was the match’s highlight, as Legend is still getting the hang of transitioning from move to move. But, she’s getting better and Shotzi is a good dance partner. Another reason the brawling worked so well is because it feels like legitimate distaste between the two. Some feuds are just better as a fight than a wrestling match. This might be one of them if it continues beyond Shotzi’s win.

Curiouser and Curiouser...
I agree with Ivy Nile here...why. Sanga & Veer attacked the Bros. Creed after Julius & Brutus celebrated the Halloween Havoc win and told Damon Kemp to come get him some. Sanga hesitated for a minute while Veer egged him on, which also hints at some larger issues between the two. Ivy wants to know why and yeah, I agree.

Back Like I Never Left
Elektra Lopez is back! After getting summarily dissed for Zelina Vega, here she is back in NXT and beating up Indi Hartwell and Sol Ruca.

Facts
R Truth killed it this week. Dressed as the Joker, Truth interrupted Wes Lee & Grayson Waller to host Halloween Havoc. Of course that was a few days ago so Truth, as per usual, was tardy to the party. Truth vs. Grayson next week and I’m not sure how I feel about that yet.

We all think NXT is in this weird place where a show like this week provides at least two great matches, but then the show overall just does way too much. We got at least two mystery angles, a Toxic Attraction segment that’s type played out at this point (we get it, they’re gorgeous), and a bunch of incongruent things. I know NXT is developmental but the show itself needs to feel coherent like any television show. NXT is like throwing a bunch of jell-o to the wall and watching it all slide down very slowly. Occasionally, something sticks because several wrestlers are quite good at what they do, but the presentation and vision is lacking.

Grade: B-
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:52am On Oct 29, 2022
WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

This week’s episode of Friday Night SmackDown, emanating from St. Louis, started with Solo Sikoa and Sami Zayn once again teaming up, this time to take on BUTCH and Ridge Holland. Near the end of the match, Jey Uso interrupted Zayn’s plotting to counter a move off the top rope by pulling him out of the ring. An argument ensued, and the distraction eventually led to Zayn taking a rollup pinfall loss at the hands of BUTCH.
Jey got good and pissed off, leading to, if you can believe it, his own brother, Jimmy, confronting him and an electricity permeating throughout the arena. Before anything could go down, a familiar chune hit the loud speakers.
“Daddy’s here,” responded Michael Cole.
Roman Reigns made his return to say that because “you two” can’t help but act like kids, that’s how they would get treated. Air it all out, right here, right now.
Zayn took the opportunity to grab a mic and apologize to Jey for whatever it was that upset him so much before offering his hand to him to shake and put whatever differences aside once and for all.
Jey didn’t go for it.
He ran down Sami’s hair, his whole schtick, and finally said it all — he’s a fake ass member of The Bloodline and he can’t stand him being around anymore. No one in the group likes him. All of it. Sami broke in to say “why are you yelling at me, I’m trying to make peace. The Tribal Chief said to make peace.”
To which Jey responded, “I don’t give a damn what The Tribal Chief said.”
Reigns instantly perked up and the entire audience was ready for something BIG. Everyone played their part to perfection here.
And then it went off the rails.
Because Sami Zayn can’t stop making everybody break character.
Before Reigns could go at Jey, Sami stepped in to say “lately he just hasn’t been very Ucey” and not a single member of The Bloodline could keep from laughing. It absolutely destroyed the dramatic tension, which is admittedly unfortunate considering the emotion they were getting out of this.
But laughter is always worth it.
And this was fucking hilarious.
Sami’s face when Roman and Jey are laughing is one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.
Eventually Reigns said if Jey isn’t careful he’s going to get the boot and Sami is going to become a full time member with a new name — Sami Uso — and the segment ended with Paul Heyman sending the show to commercial.
Aces all around.

Bray Wyatt was back and it seems he’s going to get special lighting each time he’s in the ring. Here, he told us we’re getting the real man, not one hiding behind a mask, and he’s going to do some spectacular things while he’s here.
He blamed his emotions for getting him in trouble at times. His don’t work like others do and sometimes he just doesn’t feel anything at all. “I think that’s part of what makes me me, right? To get to where I’ve gotten, I’ve had to do some horrible things. And there’s a part of me that likes that I’m not afraid to do horrible things.”
Okay!
“I know that that’s not the end of it. I know that there will come another time when I’m faced with some adversity and I’m asked to do something completely horrible…”
Cue a video package of Wyatt dressed like an old man with a hat claiming Bray is lying about who he is and he actually does wear a mask but he can’t hide from Uncle Howdy.
There will be plenty of “let’s see how this plays out” reactions here and that’s probably fair. With Wyatt’s track record, I’m not sure how much rope I have for this. I also really dislike much of the presentation, like the mood lighting and the fact that I really can’t tell what ANY of this has to do with, you know, pro freaking wrestling.
But, again, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

All the rest
The New Day beat Maximum Male Models in a match that didn’t matter much outside of simply reminding us that Xavier Woods and Kofi Kingston are very good and we like them.

Liv Morgan again attacked Sonya Deville during an interview, which served two purposes here — it kept their program going, and WWE personnel getting involved to deal with them explained why Liv wouldn’t be the one answering Ronda Rousey’s open challenge.

Braun Strowman explained in a pre-taped message from backstage that he’s gotten really excited about Omos being bigger and he can’t wait to show that well, actually, there’s no one too big for the “Monster of all Monsters.”

Emma made her return to WWE on this show, answering Ronda Rousey’s open challenge for a SmackDown women’s championship match. She got a decent response and went out and wrestled about as good a match as you could hope for with Rousey. There was always a lot of potential with Emma, and whatever was left unrealized now has a chance to be recognized under new WWE leadership. I’ll let you decide if that’s going to happen or not. We’re off to a solid start, in this writer’s humble opinion.

Shayna Baszler found her killer instinct again, as she attacked Natalya, who she was recently teaming with, as Nattie was popping off at the mouth to Rousey about the being lucky that she wasn’t the one to answer the open challenge. It wasn’t clear if Baszler was aligning with Rousey here but it did seem that way.

Did Top Dolla go full lucha on this show? Kind of! It was fun. Hit Row teamed up with Shinsuke Nakamura to defeat Legado del Fantasma and get one back on their chief rivals.Ricochet got all up in LA Knight’s face — YEAH — and made like he was going to get a new feud going but nothing really came of it. Knight just sort of left and Ricochet said he should be careful cause someone is going to beat him up if he isn’t.

Karrion Kross was back after a short absence on account of a car crash Drew McIntyre was responsible for. He had a match against Madcap Moss, and, much to my surprise, Moss got quite a bit of offense in. It only turned around when Scarlett got involved and provided a distraction. It almost felt like Moss was the one nearing a big match on a PPV, not the other way around. Kross cut a promo on McIntyre while still choking out Moss after the bell, saying Madcap put up more of a fight than Drew, who is a hypocrite and a coward. Hard to argue with that, considering the whole car crash thing!

GUNTHER interrupted an interview with Rey Mysterio to rip his shirt off while Ludwig Kaiser and Giovanni Vinci held his arms out and deliver one chop. Just one. It legit looked like that chop could have killed poor Rey. Next week could get rough!

An enjoyable show.

Grade: B

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:52am On Nov 01, 2022
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

I did some scary movie research for this one.

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
Michael Myers is an entity with whom you cannot bargain. He’s like the terminator or a great white shark in that he just does what he does and there’s no stopping him. The Miz found out Roman Reigns is similar as he tried bargaining with the Undisputed champ to no avail. The Tribal Chief returned to Raw this week with a message delivered courtesy of Paul Heyman. Why Heyman? Well. he’s Heyman for one but for two, Roman says he’s tired of hyping up opponents for two years and then smashing every single one of one of them. More importantly, he’s tired of lying to us.
That’s an interesting tactic because it’s basically Roman admitting what we all know: Logan is no competition for Roman and what happens in Saudi Arabia stays in Saudi Arabia.
There’s another reason I went with that title though. Halloween 4 marked the moment the Halloween franchise brought back its boogeyman and firmly declared him the main attraction. Essentially, the bad guy became the most compelling character and the reason audiences showed up. They wanted to see what new ways Michael sliced and diced his way through Haddonfield rather than see his victims escape. Which is probably why a lot of those victims became nameless or lacked actual character.
The scuttlebutt says Roman and Paul don’t want a face turn but, newsflash, it already happened. Peep the reaction he gets in any crowd now. Peep the “Ucey” chants. Peep how many 1s hit the air when he shows up. This is the organic reaction WWE tried engineering years ago and failed miserably. But now, simply through being the best character in the territory and giving us fantastic matches, Roman is probably WWE’s top babyface even if he still sees himself as a heel behind the scenes.
Does anyone really want to cheer Logan Paul? Of course not. Ironically, the one person who might turn the crowd against WWE’s Shape is in the Bloodline: Sami Zayn.
Outside of that, look for louder Tribal Chief ovations in any arena or country he steps foot in. The man’s work over two years truly is some of the best ever.
You can’t kill the Boogeyman.

Extracurriculars
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
We got new Women’s tag team champions! Asuka and Alexa Bliss returned tonight after three weeks. They showed up during Bianca Belair’s match with Nikki Cross and lent her some help as Damage CNTRL did what they do best. Bianca got the win over Cross but she and her friends weren't finished with Bayley, IYO, and Dakota Kai. Asuka & Alexa challenged the tag champs to a title match for Raw’s main event. So that’s what we got.
And it was a hell of a match. Nothing fancy, just great wrestling start to finish, with a big ending and more development between Bianca and Bayley. With their Last Woman Standing match days away, Bianca and Bayley went to blows when the latter distracted the referee just long enough so that the ref missed IYO tapping out. Bianca rushed Bayley, they fought into the audience, and Bayley hit Bianca with a Bayley to Belly suplex onto a table. Good set up for their Crown Jewel match and a smart move at getting them both out of the way for the finish.
With the odds even, Asuka & Alexa handled their business, as a Twisted Bliss to IYO ended the night and crowned new champs.
While the ending might surprise some, I think it’s the right call. If Asuka & Alexa are a team, they need something holding them together besides shared hatred. Winning the titles and avenging their injuries is a good way to do that. Kai & SKY showed their dominance and will no doubt go after the titles once again. But this is the right move going into the winter so let’s see what develops.

Truth or Dare
There’s one sequence during the Seth Rollins vs. Austin Theory match this week. And, yes, it was a fantastic match well worth every second of its 20 minutes. The ending is where the poetry revealed itself. Seth believes Theory is a child, not quite ready for the heights Seth ascended many years ago. Theory wore that chip on his shoulder the whole match and finally lost it in the final moments. He talked his trash to Seth after going back and forth, and got extra disrespectful. Adding insult to injury, Austin tried beating Seth with the Pedigree. But all that time he took talking ish backfired, as Seth reversed it, got Theory on his knees, and nailed him with a curb stomp.
Great match but that moment stood out as great character work from both men.

The Exorcist
“How do you neutralize the threat that is Rhea Ripley?”
That’s the question WWE commentary posed after Karl Anderson won the match against Damian Priest but lost the war. The Judgment Day attacked Anderson, the O.C. had his back, but Rhea tips the scales every single time. The match was serviceable but the true star here is the story. And the story gets better every week.

Freddy Vs. Jason
Two titans clashed this week in the mandatory pull-apart brawl. Bobby Lashley thought he and Brock Lesnar scheduled a face-to-face interview. Lesnar made other plans. The Beast showed up to the ring, called out Lashley, and The All Mighty accepted the challenge.
The locker room emptied, security did their best, and even Haitch showed up amidst the chaos. He threatened both men with cancelling their match if they kept getting out of line. A very fun segment that didn’t get me more hype for their match but it didn’t curb the appeal either.

Tremors
Look, this Trick or Street fight won me over the second Alpha Academy came out as Patrick Swayze and Chris Farley from one of my favorite SNL sketches. It was chaotic, it was fun, it was perfect for Halloween. Otis even did the worm for one night only. AND, he took an RKO while wearing a jack-o-lantern! Otis is the night’s MVP for that alone, so props to him.

Deep Red
A Dario Argento reference. Because of JBL’s very old man yells at cloud rant in a deep red state like Texas? Or because I’m seeing red at the yet another instance where the word “woke” is co-opted by someone who has no idea what it means? Or am I just bored with Baron Corbin and would rather watch Deep Red? Maybe a little bit of all three. Thank God for R-Truth, who added some flare to the segment. Of course, he was no match for a Corbin blindside attack. I’m not sure if a Corbin vs. Truth feud in itself does anything for me, but Truth and JBL going back and forth on the microphone might entertain.
Meh. Not good but also not terrible. But nothing worth remembering as Monday turns to Tuesday.

Psycho III
Rough night for Miz. First he took a Superman punch from Reigns and then took an L from Mustafa Ali. Even worse was the fact Dexter Lumis showed up in the crowd and attacked him once again.
But still have questions. One week Lumis has entrance music and a video, the next security is running after him for being in the building? That’s some incongruity. Especially since he had all those things without a WWE contract.
BUT, at least we finally got some answers. Apparently Miz and Dexter have a “financial arrangement.” The attacks? Not real. At least according to Johnny Gargano on WWE’s 60 Minutes parody. It’s worth a watch for the sheer red string connecting the dots Gargano does but the bottom line is that Miz stopped paying Dexter and Dexter wants his money.
That said, this thing is going on way too long and we need to wrap it up, B.

This was an entertaining show from start to finish. We got new champs, meaty men slapping meat, story revelations, good to great wrestling, and it moved at a good pace. Good setup for Crown Jewel and not a bad way to spend Halloween.

Grade: A
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:35am On Nov 02, 2022
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

The Conjuring
Everyone wants a piece of Bron Breakker. Apollo Crews, Von Wagner, and JD McDonagh. NXT made that clear this week with a couple backstage promos and the main event. Also clear in the main event? Carmelo Hayes isn’t done with Wes Lee, not by a long shot. The show started with both Bron and Wes taking mini victory laps. They felt themselves so much they challenged Pretty Deadly right on the spot for a tag team championship match.
The move confused me. Bron and Wes don’t need tag championships at all nor should either of them take a pin. But that’s when it hit me that this whole thing is about arrogance. Bron and Wes are on top of the world. Bron survived his toughest challenge yet for his championship while Wes not only got revenge on his arch nemesis but got the championship validation of which he fought so hard. So why not challenge the tag champs even though they have way more experience as a team than you do? The spirit of competition was alive and well. And it was all their fault.
The match delivered too. For a novice team. Breakker & Lee work really well together. Pretty Deadly deserve a lot of credit for that as well. They’re the champs and made Bron & Wes look like real threats. A great tag match is all about fluidity, which pretty much defined what we got here.
But the real story is the finish. Wes eventually got the top rope while Bron and Prince battled outside. Carmelo Hayes, who seemed a bit early or late based on the camera, pushed Lee off the top rope and Kit Wilson went for the schoolboy pin. An infuriated Wes Lee took a suicide dive over the top ropes onto Hayes, while Von Wager (ugh) sucker kicked (a thing) Bron into next Tuesday. Apollo and JD watched on the tv in the back in the traditionally awkward way, while JD talked about detaching Apollo’s retina. Because he’s creepy.
Wes & Bron got so cocky they forgot about the wolves clamoring for their own titles. Not sure if that’s the story WWE has in mind but that’s the one I’m going with because it’s a dope one.
Is there a Fatal 4 Way in Bron’s history? And Wes Lee vs. Melo Hayes sounds like fun. Give it another ladder or a steel cage and I might fly to Florida.

Extracurriculars
Hellraiser
Ava Raine is the most compelling component in Schism. Yup, already. During their sit-down interview with Vic Joseph, Ava said the only person who reached out to her while on the shelf was Joe Gacy. She heard from no one else, including those claiming to know her the longest. She’s not brainwashed nor is she corrupt; she believes in what Gacy’s preaching because she wants the power.
That’s real and completely understandable. I’m not saying sign me up but I am saying I understand.

Silent Night, Deadly Night
First off, prayers for R-Truth. Early in his match with Grayson Waller, Truth came down incredibly awkward during a Sunset Flip onto the floor. And that was that; the match ended. Waller did his best with it while the trainers checked on Truth and during the post match action, which is a good look on him too.

Suspiria
Mandy Rose, next to Carmelo Hayes, is the best story in NXT. She told that story this week. The one about no one believing in her because she was a “blonde pinup”; a Barbie doll here for our amusement and titillation. And she’s right. That’s exactly what WWE told us she was and it’s why betting against her at every turn made sense.
She rebuilt herself in NXT as an aggressive villain who not only kicks ass, but is ruthless as she is efficient. It’s quite the turnaround and every week, she’s one of NXT’s best all-around wrestlers. Celebrating her one-year title reign brought all of this into focus, but also provided Alba Fyre with another opening.
While Mandy cut a victory lap promo, smoke rose from the ring. AND SHE KEPT TALKING. It was hilarious, almost as if she told the smoke to put some damn respect on her name.
After the smoke cleared, Alba rose from under a table, attacked Gigi Dolin, and issued a warning to Mandy & Jacy. Alba wants that title in two weeks and I gotta say I’m not looking forward to it. At least not now but as always, I remain open to changing my mind.

Edge of the Axe
Zoey Stark went headhunting this week but came up with nothing. Stark and Indi Hartwell got into it backstage so a match ensued. I actually dug the story here with Zoey losing her temper and getting frustrated as the match went on, then eventually losing control. Zoey had Indi on the ropes, literally, and took her outside the ring. Nikkita Lyons tried talking sense into her, seeing as how winning the match was impossible from that position. She yelled and pleaded as Zoey got a crazed look in her eye and set up Indi for a power bomb through the commentary table.
Once Zoey calmed down, she tossed Indi back in the ring only to get a mouthful of Indi’s boot and eventually lose the match.
Stark’s frustration from her mistake in the NXT Women’s tag title match is clearly weighing on her. And I like it. Especially going into a rematch for those same titles next week.

Annabelle
Wendy Choo came to life! Well, she woke up! Cora Jade wrestled Valentina Feroz, with the latter lacking Sanga by her side since Veer told him not to tag along. With Feroz clearly unfocused, Cora made quick-ish work of her opponent.
But, since Cora never leaves well enough alone, she went for a post match kendo stick attack on Feroz. Wendy Choo ran to Valentina’s rescue and looked like she belonged in the World Series the way she swung the kendo stick.
The quick dominating matches like this don’t do anything for me even if they’re clearly set ups for something else. Choo and Jade intrigues me though due to the clash of styles and personalities.

Graduation Day
Chase U doesn’t teach cheating. Weird sentence but just follow me. Kiana James wrestled Thea Hail this week, while acknowledging the departed Bodhi in their own way. Duke Hudson, Bodhi’s replacement, stepped in as the new flag bearer for the school. Kiana dominated Thea. At one point, she pinned Thea near the ropes, so, of course Duke pulled Thea’s leg on the rope. Andre Chase said that’s a no no, and sent Duke to the locker room.
Thea lost the match because of course, and Charlie Dempsey rushed Chase in the aftermath. Duke made the save and earned just a little trust with Chase U.
Maybe this is the right spot for Duke, although it still feels weird seeing him as a part of a group when he’s traditionally solo. But I guess anything at this point is better than nothing. Right?
As a match? Meh. And even the outside drama with Duke isn’t really moving me just because it feels so...off.

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
Odyssey Jones is officially back. Javier Bernal talked himself into a match with the wrong person. Side note, but Shawn Michaels’ office looks awful. Besides seemingly just a door like the APA’s office, it looks like he doesn’t use lights!
Anyway, this match showcased Jones’ initial promise and was just a warmup. Jones needs to get himself back over because this match just lacked the juice for me to truly care.

This was a pretty flat show minus a couple moments. The main event rocked and the character stuff on the show worked for me, but the matches, for the most part, left me very underwhelmed. The show evens out to a very whelmed experience. Shoutout to you Young Justice fans reading this.

Grade: B-
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 6:37am On Nov 03, 2022
WWE is coming to Nigeria. Purple this is your chance to audition grin

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:37am On Nov 03, 2022
samistry:
WWE is coming to Nigeria. Purple this is your chance to audition grin

Lol grin
It's like you want me to kill people's children grin grin grin
My finishing move will literally finish you grin

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:18am On Nov 05, 2022
WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Morality is not simply being good, it is understanding your own capacity for evil and making the choice to be good.
This is what Bray Wyatt seems to be struggling with right now, as evidenced on this week’s episode of Friday Night SmackDown.
He even mentions a classic example of what I was just talking about. When someone cuts you off in traffic, you’re not a monster for briefly fantasizing about running them off the road in response. You’re a monster if you actually act on those thoughts.
Here, Wyatt is bothered every so slightly and he’s tested with the man he’s fighting so hard not to be, yet another encounter with the shadow side. And he clearly seems to be losing that fight.
It’s taken very little time to get us here too.
A sign of things to come, perhaps.
Maybe we’ll find out after a long journey to Saudi Arabia.

All the rest
Liv Morgan has lost her mind and is attacking folks while smiling and seemingly in a dark place — but also she’s still doing the thing where she hugs kids on her way to the ring and plays up to the crowd like a babyface? Seems odd! It’s even funnier when, during the ensuing No DQ match with Sonya Deville that came about because of Morgan’s unhinged behavior, Wade Barrett tells us how she changed after losing her title and became both a sadist and a masochist. Anyway, she beat Deville and they pushed it as Morgan being “back and better than she’s ever been before.”

Emma did an interview talking about how she had something to prove when she returned to WWE after five years away. Her blood was really pumping. Xia Li got in her face and said all she proved was that she’s weak, so Emma bopped her in the mouth. Always good to see a program build with some simple violence.

LET ME TALK TO YA! LA Knight getting heat using Samantha Irvin was a slick way to add some stakes to his match with Ricochet, though I’m not sure how many fans even know the connection. They didn’t explicitly play it up on TV, but it’s a nice little Easter egg for anyone who knows better. Knight cheated to win after a decent match that was more about getting LA over as the heel they want him to be. To that end, it worked.

The New Day made it clear to The Usos that they plan to greet them back on American soil after Crown Jewel because they have a record to protect as longest reigning tag team champions. We’ve seen this match a million times before but this is a pretty damn good storyline reason to do it again. Plus, it’s always a great time, who would ever be against running it back?

Sami Zayn was getting “Sami Uso” chants, and we have to continue praising the work he’s done to get to this point.

I’m not entirely sure I could even tell you why but seeing Ronda Rousey alongside Shayna Baszler made both of them look better. Two killers running together is a scary sight, but a damn good one. Baszler took it to Nattie, beating her clean and then, at the order of Rousey, put her down after the match as well. This was pretty great.

Braun Strowman ran through five guys on this show, and I ain’t talking burgers. MVP lined ‘em up, Strowman knocked ‘em down. Then Braun made a point at MVP’s expense, the poor guy. An easy way to heat him up just a bit in advance of the big showdown with Omos.

GUNTHER and Rey Mysterio had a fine TV main event match for the Intercontinental championship, with Mysterio doing his best “little man against an impossibly large opponent” work and coming up just short. It’s the babyface role he’s been working forever, and if nothing else it made clear they could come back to this any time they wanted. I’d watch it again!
You could tell this was a taped show.

I’ll also never, ever get used to the way WWE treats television in the Network/Peacock era. They simply don’t need to bother working hard to build to the PPV. Shows are just shows that lead to more shows.

Grade: C-
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:18am On Nov 06, 2022
WWE CROWN JEWEL REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Easy Street?
Roman Reigns took Logan Paul lightly. In ‘90s New York rap parlance, Roman played Logan for sweet. WWE built this entire match around Logan nailing one lucky punch, and that punch was his only chance at defeating the so far impervious Reigns. Roman approached the ring like a man with the match in the bag. He scoffed at Paul, left the rest of the Bloodline in the back, and openly mocked the man across from him in the ring.
But then something funny happened. Roman found himself in the middle of an actual wrestling match. More to the point, a match he didn’t prepare for at all. Turns out Logan is about more than just punches. As we saw in his first two matches, Paul can go. We got a Fireman’s Carry, Gut Wrench Suplex, a Flying Forearm Smash (courtesy of Shawn Michaels), and even a Frog Splash onto the commentary table with cell phone in hand. Yes, even in a match of this size, Logan wanted a viral moment. It wasn’t just Logan getting to Roman either. The more the crowd turned against him and cheered for Logan, the more his insecurity showed and the more desperate he got for a finish.
Logan didn’t submit to chin locks or a Camel Clutch. Logan kicked out of Back Suplexes, much to Roman’s amusement, and withstood everything Roman threw at him. It got to a point where Roman, with Logan’s neck in his hand, told the camera he doesn’t want to see anymore YouTubers around here. He then shouted out *checks notes* KSI and Mr. Beast. None of them belong in the WWE ring, according to Roman, and he knew just how much rode on him not just beating Paul but embarrassing him.
Yeah, about that.
Roman didn’t embarrass Paul at all. In fact, one might say it was the other way around. Roman walked in unprepared and paid the price. Logan moved well, he countered well, he played to the crowd perfectly, and sold Roman’s big moves better than some of the full-time cats on the roster. He gets this wrestling thing and while the winner of the match was never in doubt, how we got there remained the big question. We got our answer in the form of Paul’s entourage. While sitting at ringside and celebrating every big blow with Logan, his two homies found themselves accosted by the Usos. Yup, the match got to the point where Jimmy & Jey made an appearance. Jake Paul, complete with his own music, entered the chat and took care of the tag team champs, then revived his brother. Guess who showed up next? If you said Floyd Mayweather then I question what you’re watching and if you know the current year. The correct answer is Solo Sikoa, which foreshadowed a possible confrontation between Sikoa and Jake.
And that was actually the turning point for Logan. Always the showman and clearly high of adrenaline, Paul took to the skies and wiped out Jimmy & Jey with a Suicide Dive. But he took his eyes off the champ way too long. Roman nailed Logan with a Superman Punch when the latter stepped back into the ring, then hit him with a spear for the W.
But the look on Roman’s face is the lasting image for me. After the ref counted three and the bell went ding, Roman looked as if he saw a ghost. He backpedaled in the ring with a look of sheer terror, one usually reserved for Brock Lesnar. Because it’s lasted for so long, some might forget the Tribal Chief’s inherent insecurity. He needs the Bloodline more than they need him because they stroke his ego. They, along with Paul, are his own personal cheer squad. So in a moment where the “YouTuber” took him to the brink, he was more than a little shook. Shoutout to Havoc and P.
As the Bloodline made their way up the ramp with the titles held high, Paul gave Reigns the pep talk of all pep talks while Reigns’ eye focused on his championships with a look of despair. Paul reminded him that he’s still the champ and still the man and still the Tribal Chief. Then something clicked and Reigns found that confidence again. He found that attitude Logan Paul blotted out like a lunar eclipse. For a brief moment, the Tribal Chief was back to normal as the credits rolled. But at what cost?
Amazing match, better story, and so many seeds planted for the future if WWE ever feels compelled to revisit.

Extracurriculars
The Beast in the East?
Keeping it real with everyone, this match went a lot longer than I expected. The minute WWE announced Brock Lesnar vs. Bobby Lashley as Crown Jewel’s opening match, I figured Brock wanted out of the Middle East as quickly as possible. When Bobby started the match before the bell rang and injured Brock’s knee, I figured the writing was not just on the wall, but engraved.
Instead, we got a pretty dominating performance from Brock that painted the story of a man just surviving. Seriously, Brock did a hell of a job making Bobby look like the monster we normally see Brock portray.
But for an opening match, this was lackluster. Especially the ending. Bobby slaps on the Hurt Lock after surviving an F5 and Brock has nowhere to go. Pulling a move out of the Bret Hart playbook, Brock uses Bobby’s momentum against him, launches himself off the turnbuckles and gets Lashley’s shoulders on the mat while Lashley never breaks the Hurt Lock. Lashley, like the crowd—and even Brock—in utter shock, sits for a bit while Brock recuperates in the corner. Lashley’s anger gets the best of him and he slaps on another Hurt Lock until he finally relents thanks to the ref’s beckoning. Brock barely won the battle but there’s no question who walked out of Crown Jewel looking like the better man.
Very meh match but it’s the clearly the first part of a much larger story.

Soul Controller
Props to all four women for putting on an excellent tag match. Asuka & Alexa Bliss vs. Kai-N-SKY, minus one quibble, delivered everything I wanted. We got psychology with Asuka’s knee injury, physicality on behalf of all women involved, some high-flying spots, and logical storytelling. For the most part. Asuka injured her already hurt knee early in the match and the ref almost counted her out. Now, with the championship on the line, a countout does nothing for Damage CNTRL, yet I saw no sense of urgency on their behalf. The ref got to an 8-count while IYO SKY paced in the ring and talked trash. Logically, Kai or SKY should get Asuka back in the ring at all costs. Or, at the least, break up the ref’s count. It was a weird moment in an otherwise very logical match.
But the ending is the intriguing part. With Alexa & Asuka on a roll, Nikki Cross hit the ring. She attacked Alexa behind the ref’s back and Damage CNTRL regains the tag championships.
We saw Bayley whispering sweet nothings into Nikki’s ear on the most recent Raw, so this is obviously connected. But what’s in it for Nikki? Is she a part of Damage CNTRL now? Did Bayley promise her a title shot should she defeat Bianca? The game is afoot.

Key to the Game
I love a story where the over-the-top villain succumbs to their own errors in judgment. Sometimes they overthink everything on the road to cartoon villainy. Scarlett is, without doubt, a cartoonish supervillain. It’s one of the best things about her and what makes the thing with her and Karrion work as well as it does. Her machinations are why Kross left Crown Jewel with an L firmly in hand and why Drew finally got the monkey off his back.
This was a physical cage match, just like I like them. It wasn’t necessarily violent, but they did beat the hell out of each other. As they should. It’s a blood feud and it’s in a cage.
Scarlett is the story here though. At one point, she sprayed mace in Drew’s face and the ref’s face when Drew made his way for the cage door. I chuckled loud enough that my entire neighborhood probably heard me. In the match’s third act, Scarlett locked the cage door and took the key, leaving Drew only one obvious option: climb out. Scarlett’s incredulous look was worth 1000 words.
Her utter shock that her “brilliant” plan didn’t work hit every right note. Made worse by the fact that she scrambled unlocking the door while Karrion crawled towards it for his own exit. While she’s fumbling with the key, Drew nonchalantly climbs the cage. She eventually opened the door and Karrion crawled through, but it was too little too late as Drew’s feet hit the ground way before Karrion even got halfway through the door. And that’s with Scarlett pulling him through!
Fantastic stuff all around.

The Problem
Rhea Ripley, much like Scarlett, starred during a match in which she didn’t compete. The O.C. went into their match with the Judgment Day fully aware that Rhea presents a problem. And, as of now, they still have no solution for said problem. So color us all shocked when Rhea once again factored into the finish.
The match boiled down to AJ and Finn, which is where this story started and where it will ultimately end. AJ almost picked up the W for his team too! There was Finn, right in the middle of the ring. And AJ stood on the apron, cocking his Phenomenal Forearm. AJ lost track of Rhea and she attacked him before he took flight. Finn picked what was left on AJ’s bones and finished the match with a coup de grace.
This is the right finish for an entertaining match. The story is the same for AJ and Team California until they finally get Beth Phoenix by their side. Rhea made that obvious as she wore her hair as an homage to “the late great Beth Phoenix” according to Michael Cole. So it’s a matter of when, not if.

Monster Mash
Omos looked more than decent here. Not great but definitely competent. Braun Strowman has a lot to do with that as well, so props to him. While their match wasn’t my cup of tea, there were a few very impressive moments due to the sheer strength. Braun hitting Omos with his trademark power slam was a big moment. Pun intended.
Not a match for me but like I said, it had its moments.

Brawl for All
The Usos tried walking out of this match. They felt the Brawlin’ Brutes disrespected them and said “nah.” But that didn’t happen. Butch & Ridge Holland dragged them into a war. A war that committed grand larceny at Crown Jewel. Not even going to try recapping this one or giving some sort of emotional hook for you, dear Nairalander, Just watch it for yourself and marvel at the fact Jey Uso wrestled a lot of this match with his torn t-shirt hanging between both ankles. That’s incredible and says a lot about his skill as a wrestler and an athlete.
He’s quite Ucey.

Have a Seat
Look, let’s not pretend I can even write about this Last Woman Standing match between Bayley and Bianca Belair for the Raw Women’s championship. It was a spot fest filled with plenty of fun spots, one very silly one featuring a golf cart, and an ingenious one with a ladder finish. However, the match’s narrative interested me. Bayley is a known villain with no bar too low. Bianca, as Wade said on commentary, is a good person.
For the first few minutes, that dynamic played out as Bayley went for weapons while Bianca resisted. Only when pushed to the edge did Bianca fight fire with fire and go all out with a Kendo Stick. Which opened the floodgates for a bunch of mayhem and chaos.
Fun match that fulfilled its purpose as a glorious, silly, and violent mess.

Fantastic overall show. The bright spots shined like the sun and made the less than stellar stuff palpable. Reigns & Paul stepped up big time, and a huge shoutout to Logan for answering the bell—pun intended—in a gargantuan way.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by luizpippo(m): 6:51am On Nov 06, 2022
pu7pl3:

Easy Street?
Roman Reigns took Logan Paul lightly. In ‘90s New York rap parlance, Roman played Logan for sweet. WWE built this entire match around Logan nailing one lucky punch, and that punch was his only chance at defeating the so far impervious Reigns. Roman approached the ring like a man with the match in the bag. He scoffed at Paul, left the rest of the Bloodline in the back, and openly mocked the man across from him in the ring.
But then something funny happened. Roman found himself in the middle of an actual wrestling match. More to the point, a match he didn’t prepare for at all. Turns out Logan is about more than just punches. As we saw in his first two matches, Paul can go. We got a Fireman’s Carry, Gut Wrench Suplex, a Flying Forearm Smash (courtesy of Shawn Michaels), and even a Frog Splash onto the commentary table with cell phone in hand. Yes, even in a match of this size, Logan wanted a viral moment. It wasn’t just Logan getting to Roman either. The more the crowd turned against him and cheered for Logan, the more his insecurity showed and the more desperate he got for a finish.
Logan didn’t submit to chin locks or a Camel Clutch. Logan kicked out of Back Suplexes, much to Roman’s amusement, and withstood everything Roman threw at him. It got to a point where Roman, with Logan’s neck in his hand, told the camera he doesn’t want to see anymore YouTubers around here. He then shouted out *checks notes* KSI and Mr. Beast. None of them belong in the WWE ring, according to Roman, and he knew just how much rode on him not just beating Paul but embarrassing him.
Yeah, about that.
Roman didn’t embarrass Paul at all. In fact, one might say it was the other way around. Roman walked in unprepared and paid the price. Logan moved well, he countered well, he played to the crowd perfectly, and sold Roman’s big moves better than some of the full-time cats on the roster. He gets this wrestling thing and while the winner of the match was never in doubt, how we got there remained the big question. We got our answer in the form of Paul’s entourage. While sitting at ringside and celebrating every big blow with Logan, his two homies found themselves accosted by the Usos. Yup, the match got to the point where Jimmy & Jey made an appearance. Jake Paul, complete with his own music, entered the chat and took care of the tag team champs, then revived his brother. Guess who showed up next? If you said Floyd Mayweather then I question what you’re watching and if you know the current year. The correct answer is Solo Sikoa, which foreshadowed a possible confrontation between Sikoa and Jake.
And that was actually the turning point for Logan. Always the showman and clearly high of adrenaline, Paul took to the skies and wiped out Jimmy & Jey with a Suicide Dive. But he took his eyes off the champ way too long. Roman nailed Logan with a Superman Punch when the latter stepped back into the ring, then hit him with a spear for the W.
But the look on Roman’s face is the lasting image for me. After the ref counted three and the bell went ding, Roman looked as if he saw a ghost. He backpedaled in the ring with a look of sheer terror, one usually reserved for Brock Lesnar. Because it’s lasted for so long, some might forget the Tribal Chief’s inherent insecurity. He needs the Bloodline more than they need him because they stroke his ego. They, along with Paul, are his own personal cheer squad. So in a moment where the “YouTuber” took him to the brink, he was more than a little shook. Shoutout to Havoc and P.
As the Bloodline made their way up the ramp with the titles held high, Paul gave Reigns the pep talk of all pep talks while Reigns’ eye focused on his championships with a look of despair. Paul reminded him that he’s still the champ and still the man and still the Tribal Chief. Then something clicked and Reigns found that confidence again. He found that attitude Logan Paul blotted out like a lunar eclipse. For a brief moment, the Tribal Chief was back to normal as the credits rolled. But at what cost?
Amazing match, better story, and so many seeds planted for the future if WWE ever feels compelled to revisit.

Extracurriculars
The Beast in the East?
Keeping it real with everyone, this match went a lot longer than I expected. The minute WWE announced Brock Lesnar vs. Bobby Lashley as Crown Jewel’s opening match, I figured Brock wanted out of the Middle East as quickly as possible. When Bobby started the match before the bell rang and injured Brock’s knee, I figured the writing was not just on the wall, but engraved.
Instead, we got a pretty dominating performance from Brock that painted the story of a man just surviving. Seriously, Brock did a hell of a job making Bobby look like the monster we normally see Brock portray.
But for an opening match, this was lackluster. Especially the ending. Bobby slaps on the Hurt Lock after surviving an F5 and Brock has nowhere to go. Pulling a move out of the Bret Hart playbook, Brock uses Bobby’s momentum against him, launches himself off the turnbuckles and gets Lashley’s shoulders on the mat while Lashley never breaks the Hurt Lock. Lashley, like the crowd—and even Brock—in utter shock, sits for a bit while Brock recuperates in the corner. Lashley’s anger gets the best of him and he slaps on another Hurt Lock until he finally relents thanks to the ref’s beckoning. Brock barely won the battle but there’s no question who walked out of Crown Jewel looking like the better man.

Soul Controller
Props to all four women for putting on an excellent tag match. Asuka & Alexa Bliss vs. Kai-N-SKY, minus one quibble, delivered everything I wanted. We got psychology with Asuka’s knee injury, physicality on behalf of all women involved, some high-flying spots, and logical storytelling. For the most part. Asuka injured her already hurt knee early in the match and the ref almost counted her out. Now, with the championship on the line, a countout does nothing for Damage CNTRL, yet I saw no sense of urgency on their behalf. The ref got to an 8-count while IYO SKY paced in the ring and talked trash. Logically, Kai or SKY should get Asuka back in the ring at all costs. Or, at the least, break up the ref’s count. It was a weird moment in an otherwise very logical match.
But the ending is the intriguing part. With Alexa & Asuka on a roll, Nikki Cross hit the ring. She attacked Alexa behind the ref’s back and Damage CNTRL regains the tag championships.
We saw Bayley whispering sweet nothings into Nikki’s ear on the most recent Raw, so this is obviously connected. But what’s in it for Nikki? Is she a part of Damage CNTRL now? Did Bayley promise her a title shot should she defeat Bianca? The game is afoot.

Key to the Game
I love a story where the over-the-top villain succumbs to their own errors in judgment. Sometimes they overthink everything on the road to cartoon villainy. Scarlett is, without doubt, a cartoonish supervillain. It’s one of the best things about her and what makes the thing with her and Karrion work as well as it does. Her machinations are why Kross left Crown Jewel with an L firmly in hand and why Drew finally got the monkey off his back.
This was a physical cage match, just like I like them. It wasn’t necessarily violent, but they did beat the hell out of each other. As they should. It’s a blood feud and it’s in a cage.
Scarlett is the story here though. At one point, she sprayed mace in Drew’s face and the ref’s face when Drew made his way for the cage door. I chuckled loud enough that my entire neighborhood probably heard me. In the match’s third act, Scarlett locked the cage door and took the key, leaving Drew only one obvious option: climb out. Scarlett’s incredulous look was worth 1000 words.
Her utter shock that her “brilliant” plan didn’t work hit every right note. Made worse by the fact that she scrambled unlocking the door while Karrion crawled towards it for his own exit. While she’s fumbling with the key, Drew nonchalantly climbs the cage. She eventually opened the door and Karrion crawled through, but it was too little too late as Drew’s feet hit the ground way before Karrion even got halfway through the door. And that’s with Scarlett pulling him through!

The Problem
Rhea Ripley, much like Scarlett, starred during a match in which she didn’t compete. The O.C. went into their match with the Judgment Day fully aware that Rhea presents a problem. And, as of now, they still have no solution for said problem. So color us all shocked when Rhea once again factored into the finish.
The match boiled down to AJ and Finn, which is where this story started and where it will ultimately end. AJ almost picked up the W for his team too! There was Finn, right in the middle of the ring. And AJ stood on the apron, cocking his Phenomenal Forearm. AJ lost track of Rhea and she attacked him before he took flight. Finn picked what was left on AJ’s bones and finished the match with a coup de grace.
This is the right finish for an entertaining match. The story is the same for AJ and Team California until they finally get Beth Phoenix by their side. Rhea made that obvious as she wore her hair as an homage to “the late great Beth Phoenix” according to Michael Cole. So it’s a matter of when, not if.

Monster Mash
Omos looked more than decent here. Not great but definitely competent. Braun Strowman has a lot to do with that as well, so props to him. While their match wasn’t my cup of tea, there were a few very impressive moments due to the sheer strength. Braun hitting Omos with his trademark power slam was a big moment. Pun intended.

Brawl for All
The Usos tried walking out of this match. They felt the Brawlin’ Brutes disrespected them and said “nah.” But that didn’t happen. Butch & Ridge Holland dragged them into a war. A war that committed grand larceny at Crown Jewel. Not even going to try recapping this one or giving some sort of emotional hook for you, dear Nairalander, Just watch it for yourself and marvel at the fact Jey Uso wrestled a lot of this match with his torn t-shirt hanging between both ankles. That’s incredible and says a lot about his skill as a wrestler and an athlete.
He’s quite Ucey.

Have a Seat
Look, let’s not pretend I can even write about this Last Woman Standing match between Bayley and Bianca Belair for the Raw Women’s championship. It was a spot fest filled with plenty of fun spots, one very silly one featuring a golf cart, and an ingenious one with a ladder finish. However, the match’s narrative interested me. Bayley is a known villain with no bar too low. Bianca, as Wade said on commentary, is a good person.
For the first few minutes, that dynamic played out as Bayley went for weapons while Bianca resisted. Only when pushed to the edge did Bianca fight fire with fire and go all out with a Kendo Stick. Which opened the floodgates for a bunch of mayhem and chaos.

Fantastic overall show. The bright spots shined like the sun and made the less than stellar stuff palpable. Reigns & Paul stepped up big time, and a huge shoutout to Logan for answering the bell—pun intended—in a gargantuan way.

Purple, Purple....... One crate of kunu or zobo for you sir.

The bill is on the house
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:55am On Nov 06, 2022
luizpippo:

Purple, Purple....... One crate of kunu or zobo for you sir.

The bill is on the house

You're far too kind grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by dahmie2013: 7:41pm On Nov 06, 2022
Logan Paul was awesome.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:51pm On Nov 06, 2022
dahmie2013:
Logan Paul was awesome.

And He has a torn MCL and probably ACL too to sow for it
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 12:46pm On Nov 07, 2022
pu7pl3:

Easy Street?
Yeah, about that.

Extracurriculars
The Beast in the East?

Soul Controller

Key to the Game

The Problem

Monster Mash

Brawl for All
He’s quite Ucey.

Have a Seat

did I miss something, did you miss Bray Wyatt or you just didn't care?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 12:48pm On Nov 07, 2022
WWE coming to Naija is good news, but like half of the nation hate wrestling and call it fake. Let's see.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:32pm On Nov 07, 2022
ValeeLove:
did I miss something, did you miss Bray Wyatt or you just didn't care?

I think I missed it...you can always help man.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:08pm On Nov 07, 2022
pu7pl3:

I think I missed it...you can always help man.
i thought so.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:19pm On Nov 07, 2022
ValeeLove:
i thought so.

Help me Recap it please.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:30pm On Nov 07, 2022
pu7pl3:

Help me Recap it please.
lol. You didn't need to add please. You do us all here a favour everytime.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:31pm On Nov 07, 2022
pu7pl3:

Help me Recap it please.

Bray Wyatt makes his entrance. Crowd chants "Welcome Back".

Bray Wyatt says he comes from a very prestigious wrestling family that is "larger than life."

Bray says that he always wanted to be great, but he wanted to be the greatest of everyone in his family. As the crowd chants "Yes, you are."

Bray says that he did what he thought he needed to do and gave in, and made a monster of himself.

He says that he wore that mask with pride, and it did not take long for him to understand that under the mask, he did not feel pain and he could no longer be afraid, as he was "completely untouchable".

He says it felt good and that sensations like that are impossible to quit, but he soon found himself in a kingdom of nothingness

He says being the monster destroyed him and ran off everyone. He was alone and had nowhere to run. A “we love you” chant breaks out.

He says people do not love him, but the idea of him and what he is capable of, and that he does not even love himself.

He says this does not have to be the ending of his story, as this is not the man he wants to be remembered as.

He then says he is here to rewrite the ending to his story. "I am Bray Wyatt! I am Bray Wyatt! I am Bray Wyatt!" Huge pop from the crowd.

Uncle Howdy shows up on the TitanTron saying that the people do not deserve him.

Howdy says it must hurt forcing yourself to be someone you’re not.

Howdy says you can’t fool him and questions who knows Wyatt better than he does.

Howdy says Wyatt will give in and when he does, he wants him to remember how good it feels.

He tells Bray to "hurt them" and to not take the mask off...“Tell me I’m wrong”… Howdy disappears, while Wyatt is shown watching this time..

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) ... (298) (Reply)

Cuando Seas Mia: 'When You Are Mine' / ARROW and THE FLASH fan page....... / Top 15 Nollywood Stars Who Have Passed Away In Recent Years

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 259
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.