Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,585 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:43 PM

Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House - TV/Movies (271) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House (288702 Views)

Games Of Thrones: House Of The Dragon Official Discussion Thread / Nigerians Storm Gotv Facebook Page Over WWE / Rachel Johnson Goes Topless On Live TV Show During Brexit Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (298) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:03pm On Oct 04, 2022
pu7pl3:

e no funny o. Taking away one of the good parts of that bad show(its getting better) and I should be okay with that? MBA o. Anyway he's going to be on tonight. Theres also going to be a ladder match, great. Ladder matches to NXT are what Battle Royals are to AEW.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:06pm On Oct 04, 2022
Guess the wrestler. No one can get it.

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:09pm On Oct 04, 2022
The balds run this business.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:59pm On Oct 04, 2022
ValeeLove:
Guess the wrestler. No one can get it.

Please tell us.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 6:21am On Oct 05, 2022
pu7pl3:

Please tell us.
Woooooooo!
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:52am On Oct 05, 2022
ValeeLove:
Woooooooo!

wow for real? I never would have gotten it.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:12am On Oct 05, 2022
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Fight Club
It’s weird seeing Pete Dunne back in NXT as Butch. Even weirder because NXT relies heavily on continuity and not pretending the audience have goldfish memories. But, here we are. Ridge Holland and Dunne Butch made their NXT returns as challengers for Pretty Deadly’s NXT Tag Team championships.
In typical Brawling Brutes fashion, it was a banger. Pretty Deadly are no slouches either, but the Brutes just elevate everyone else’s game. Which is a great thing for them and their opponents on any given night. Butch and Ridge didn’t win this match but they did look incredibly strong going into their Extreme Rules bout with Imperium. They dominated from the opening bell. Butch broke down both members of PD like fractions, while Ridge just out muscled everyone.
And that’s fine for Pretty Deadly because they’re not the strongest tag team or the quickest. They’re heels who take advantage of situations and somehow always put the odds in their favor.
To that point, the storytelling here was pretty good. The more Pretty Deadly struggled, the more they tried to get disqualified. They tried knocking out the ref! They tried getting caught doing the silliest things that might make the ref ring the bell, but the ref either didn’t notice or moved just out of the way. It showed how desperate these two are to keep their titles and just how much they underestimated Butch & Holland.
If Imperium doesn’t interfere, then you have new NXT tag champs. But they did. And that quick instance distracted the Brutes just long enough for Pretty Deadly to capitalize with a little Spilt Milk. But the Brutes barely cared.
Their focus was all on Imperium at that point, so the four men brawled outside the ring while Pretty Deadly met new challengers in Briggs & Jensen and Edris Enofe & Malik Blade. I love that Enofe & Blade are finally doing a thing with substance. I also love Briggs & Jensen staying in the title picture. I did miss Fallon Henley by their side but I get it. This isn’t her fight.
This was a dope main event that established both teams, segued into Extreme Rules, and set Pretty Deadly on the road to new obstacles. Solid booking all around. Sometimes keeping it simple really is the right move.

Extracurriculars
Back in Effect
Carmelo Hayes needed this W over Oro Mensa. The A-Champ, despite what he says, was on quite the losing streak. And it came at the worst possible time since he’s competing for the North American championship in a ladder match at Halloween Havoc. Mensa, minus one top rope maneuver that almost ended badly, worked a smooth match against Hayes. It’s hard calling anything with Hayes less than solid at this point, but it wasn’t one of his standouts. The fact that I say that is a testament to Melo’s work.
Storyline wise, Trick Williams intervened and took another bullet for Melo, showing his worth, yet again, and setting the stage for what he may or may not do during the upcoming ladder match.

Here Comes a New Challenger!
Zoey Stark & Nikkita Lyons. Two women who want nothing more than to prove they’re a real tag team. More than just a real tag team, they want to show they’re an incredible one. Toxic Attraction want their titles back, simple as that. Gigi Dolin and Jacy Jayne did nothing but torture anyone who even got close to sniffing what they believe is their gold.
And for a moment, it looked like they were on their way to becoming number one contenders again. Toxic Attraction is a great team. These two women know each other inside out, which is always part of the storytelling. So when they wrestle lesser experienced teams, they normally triumph. They play their game while the other team doesn’t even know the name of the game they’re playing. But like I said, that almost worked this week.
Zoey and Nikkita are facing Katana Chance and Kayden Carter for the titles because they really are a team. And, more importantly, they’re the physically stronger team. Zoey & Nikkita just overpowered their opponents in the end, while playing on Zoey’s experience with tag team wrestling.
While I prefer a heel team vs. a face team for the championships, this looks like an easy way to get some gold on Nikkita. That said, I really think those belts should stay with Carter & Chance for at least a little while longer. They’ll go into this match as underdogs though, which is exactly what they like and what fits them best as champs. Bring it on.

That’s a Thing That Happened
I like Apollo Crews. I like Grayson Waller. I do not like what they’re doing with this feud right now. The fact it was the last image of a segment mostly about Cora Jade and Roxanne Perez’s Halloween Havoc match makes it even more annoying. Cora and Roxanne guested on the Grayson Waller Effect, constantly cutting each other off and doing a great job showing how much they hate each other.
That hate went to another level during their pull-apart brawl. Security pulling wrestlers apart is always a good move. A weapons match is perfect for these two.
But back to Waller and Crews. Apollo showed up disguised as NXT security, dragged Waller under the ring, and then put red food dye around his eyes to make it look like his eyes were bleeding. Yet, somehow, Waller’s vision was great enough to see Apollo walking towards him as he backed up in the straightest of straight lines to get to the locker room. Just think both men are better than this silliness.

Him?
I see you, NXT. Putting Von Wagner in a match with Andre Chase to get me caring about a Von Wagner match. You ain’t slick. But it did work. Chase did his best at putting Wagner over as a monster. But I still didn’t buy it. And I believe the wrong person won. Chase is really over and should be in a prime spot. Especially after pinning Hayes. Wagner is fetch and they keep trying to make fetch happen.

Legend Milk
Wendy Choo beat Lash Legend. Lash is getting better and Wendy is Wendy. This wasn’t much of a match to speak of but it served its purpose.

Blink and I Missed It
Brutus Creed is hurt, thanks to Damon Kemp. Duke Hudson rubbed salt in Diamond Mine’s wound. Julius said “nah, bravo” and challenged Duke to a match. The match was shorter than the time it took me to write those sentences. Julius squashed Duke, then both brothers beat him up at the end of it. Whew, poor Duke. He needs to go back to the card tables.
The only news from the segment is Julius and Kemp at Halloween Havoc is now an ambulance match. If Julius loses, Brutus is gone from NXT. Julius had the line of the night: “If you call for me, I answer on the first ring.”
Very dope, sir.

Now the Joy, in My World...
Xyon Quinn got a win, everyone! Yes, it was against Hank Walker, the football player turned security guard turned wrestler, but one good turn deserves another. But with that said, Quinn’s win in an okay match was purely set up for a feud with Quincy Elliott, Hank’s newfound friend and someone Xyon doesn’t like. Which means Xyon won the battle but will more than likely take several Ls in the war. The friendship between Quincy and Hank is the one entertaining thing here.

Minus a couple matches, this was a solid outing for the black and yellow brand. Nothing mind-blowing, but we got new matches for next week, more build towards Halloween Havoc, and Alba Fyre kidnapped Mandy Rose. People really need to stay out of that parking lot. Especially when someone who wields a bat just walks around freely.

Grade: B
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 10:49am On Oct 05, 2022
pu7pl3:

wow for real? I never would have gotten it.
yep. That pic was before a plane crash which he survived. The experience changed him and he decided to cut size and grow a hair. The rest is history.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 11:00am On Oct 05, 2022
pu7pl3:

That’s a Thing That Happened
I like Apollo Crews. I like Grayson Waller. I do not like what they’re doing with this feud right now. The fact it was the last image of a segment mostly about Cora Jade and Roxanne Perez’s Halloween Havoc match makes it even more annoying. Cora and Roxanne guested on the Grayson Waller Effect, constantly cutting each other off and doing a great job showing how much they hate each other.
That hate went to another level during their pull-apart brawl. Security pulling wrestlers apart is always a good move. A weapons match is perfect for these two.
But back to Waller and Crews. Apollo showed up disguised as NXT security, dragged Waller under the ring, and then put red food dye around his eyes to make it look like his eyes were bleeding. Yet, somehow, Waller’s vision was great enough to see Apollo walking towards him as he backed up in the straightest of straight lines to get to the locker room. Just think both men are better than this silliness.
They sha shouldn't ruin Grayson Waller for me with their nonsense booking. Even a genius has got his limit to the amount of idiocy he can salvage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 2:51pm On Oct 05, 2022
ValeeLove:
yep. That pic was before a plane crash which he survived. The experience changed him and he decided to cut size and grow a hair. The rest is history.

I didn't know about any of these...Ric flair has never really been my cuppa tea sha.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 11:57am On Oct 06, 2022
pu7pl3:

I didn't know about any of these...Ric flair has never really been my cuppa tea sha.
you hate him? You're in the minority if you do.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:59pm On Oct 06, 2022
ValeeLove:
you hate him? You're in the minority if you do.

nooo...I don't hate him, I just don't delve deeply into Ric flair matters

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 1:45pm On Oct 08, 2022
E be like the reason Pu7pl3 no wan post last night SmackDown review is because he knows I'm going to taunt him about the failure of Max Dupri and MMM.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:04pm On Oct 08, 2022
WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Logan sucks! Logan sucks! Logan sucks!”
That’s how the crowd responded to Logan Paul getting into the ring with The Bloodline on Friday Night SmackDown this week. WWE had promoted a face-to-face meeting between the two, and they delivered on that just as soon as the show went on the air.
The fans were delighted to see the heel, and none too pleased to see the babyface. There’s been no double turn, so that’s still the case, right?
It’s so hard to tell these days.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Anyway, Paul Heyman was tasked with smartening Paul up, but really he just admitted what we already knew — Paul is this generation’s outside celebrity who can bring some new eyeballs to the product and so will be placed in a big match on a big WWE card.
Then Heyman started popping off about Jordan Peterson, Ben Shapiro, and Andrew Tate, further proving his point that this is really just all about publicity and how pro wrestling does anything to go after it. He eventually got back around to Paul, and I suppose the idea is he’s controversial on the level of the other three, even though I’m not sure that’s even remotely the case, at least not in 2022.
But whatever, the point was made.
Paul ignored all that and tried to create conflict within The Bloodline, claiming he couldn’t tell if Reigns or Jey Uso is the tribal chief. This, for some reason, sincerely upset Reigns, who was going to go after Jey until Sami Zayn played peace maker.
This was a downright strange segment. Why would Reigns take such obvious bait like that?
Later, Solo Sikoa beat up Ricochet, and the match was fine but it was really just about getting to a backstage segment where Zayn and Jey could argue about it and Reigns could side with Sami and then make Jey being a hothead his problem to deal with now.
This could only end well!
Later still, Sami decided to respond to The New Day antagonizing them by telling them to get a partner for a six-man tag team match and, of course, they went and snagged BigCut McSlimTruck and easily won the match while Sami and Jey continuously went at each other’s throats. I’m just imagining The Bloodline in a War Games match and that being where the turn finally happens.
I’m just no longer clear on who exactly will be turning.
Despite the weird Reigns stuff, this was all pretty good advancement for this story.

Sheamus is a warrior
I’m giving this its own spot not because I have all that much to say about it but because Sheamus and GUNTHER put on yet another good match that had an actually effective finish because it legitimately pissed me off.
There’s nothing better in pro wrestling these days than when you find yourself just rolling with it in a natural way, going right along with the babyface (at least for this match, in this case) in his quest to win the Intercontinental title for the first time, and it’s going swimmingly, and he’s so close, and then NO THAT SON OF A BITCH CHEATED THIS CANNOT STAND!
This also acted as a solid way to promote the six-man tag team match Imperium and The Brawling Brutes will be having at Extreme Rules. A pretty damn good piece of business and a fun close to the show.

All the rest
Hey, Triple H looks good, huh? Anyone else surprised we haven’t seen more of him since he took over?

Zelina Vega returned to apparently head up the debuting Legado del Fantasma, replacing Elektra Lopez. I’m not sure how much of an upgrade that is for my tastes, but your mileage may vary. It’s obviously far too early for any judgments here, however. Either way, they laid out Hit Row and they’re a fun group. There’s reason for excitement.

Raquel Rodriguez is once again in a new tag team, this time with Shotzi Blackheart. They beat Sonya Deville & Xia Li on this show, presumably to better establish themselves as a team. The division needs teams and there isn’t much for Rodriguez as a singles star in the stagnant SmackDown women’s division, so it does make some measure of sense. But what of Aliyah? Maybe we’ll never know!

Drew McIntyre tried a surprise attack on Karrion Kross in a reversal of how things have been going between these two and he ended up beaten pretty badly with a strap. This entire program has done wonders for making Kross look good but I’m not so sure McIntyre is taking the loss at the actual PPV. We shall see. I did like how Kross wasn’t entirely surprised because the crowd started cheering during his entrance and he instantly recognized that couldn’t be right and knew there must be someone behind him. Little stuff like that goes a long way.

A brief promo aired that seemed to tease The Viking Raiders returning with … Sarah Logan?!?

Max Dupri finally realized the truth — he is LA Knight❗❗.

A damn good show.

Grade: A+
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:05pm On Oct 08, 2022
ValeeLove:
E be like the reason Pu.7pl3 no wan post last night SmackDown review is because he knows I'm going to taunt him about the failure of Max Dupri and MMM.

Lol, hope you know I'll have to watch the show first before I post grin grin

I didn't have enough time to watch it since
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:28pm On Oct 08, 2022
pu7pl3:
WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Logan sucks! Logan sucks! Logan sucks!”
That’s how the crowd responded to Logan Paul getting into the ring with The Bloodline on Friday Night SmackDown this week. WWE had promoted a face-to-face meeting between the two, and they delivered on that just as soon as the show went on the air.
The fans were delighted to see the heel, and none too pleased to see the babyface. There’s been no double turn, so that’s still the case, right?
It’s so hard to tell these days.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Anyway, Paul Heyman was tasked with smartening Paul up, but really he just admitted what we already knew — Paul is this generation’s outside celebrity who can bring some new eyeballs to the product and so will be placed in a big match on a big WWE card.
Then Heyman started popping off about Jordan Peterson, Ben Shapiro, and Andrew Tate, further proving his point that this is really just all about publicity and how pro wrestling does anything to go after it. He eventually got back around to Paul, and I suppose the idea is he’s controversial on the level of the other three, even though I’m not sure that’s even remotely the case, at least not in 2022.
But whatever, the point was made.
Paul ignored all that and tried to create conflict within The Bloodline, claiming he couldn’t tell if Reigns or Jey Uso is the tribal chief. This, for some reason, sincerely upset Reigns, who was going to go after Jey until Sami Zayn played peace maker.
This was a downright strange segment. Why would Reigns take such obvious bait like that?
Later, Solo Sikoa beat up Ricochet, and the match was fine but it was really just about getting to a backstage segment where Zayn and Jey could argue about it and Reigns could side with Sami and then make Jey being a hothead his problem to deal with now.
This could only end well!
Later still, Sami decided to respond to The New Day antagonizing them by telling them to get a partner for a six-man tag team match and, of course, they went and snagged BigCut McSlimTruck and easily won the match while Sami and Jey continuously went at each other’s throats. I’m just imagining The Bloodline in a War Games match and that being where the turn finally happens.
I’m just no longer clear on who exactly will be turning.
Despite the weird Reigns stuff, this was all pretty good advancement for this story.

Sheamus is a warrior
I’m giving this its own spot not because I have all that much to say about it but because Sheamus and GUNTHER put on yet another good match that had an actually effective finish because it legitimately pissed me off.
There’s nothing better in pro wrestling these days than when you find yourself just rolling with it in a natural way, going right along with the babyface (at least for this match, in this case) in his quest to win the Intercontinental title for the first time, and it’s going swimmingly, and he’s so close, and then NO THAT SON OF A BITCH CHEATED THIS CANNOT STAND!
This also acted as a solid way to promote the six-man tag team match Imperium and The Brawling Brutes will be having at Extreme Rules. A pretty damn good piece of business and a fun close to the show.

All the rest
Hey, Triple H looks good, huh? Anyone else surprised we haven’t seen more of him since he took over?

Zelina Vega returned to apparently head up the debuting Legado del Fantasma, replacing Elektra Lopez. I’m not sure how much of an upgrade that is for my tastes, but your mileage may vary. It’s obviously far too early for any judgments here, however. Either way, they laid out Hit Row and they’re a fun group. There’s reason for excitement.

Raquel Rodriguez is once again in a new tag team, this time with Shotzi Blackheart. They beat Sonya Deville & Xia Li on this show, presumably to better establish themselves as a team. The division needs teams and there isn’t much for Rodriguez as a singles star in the stagnant SmackDown women’s division, so it does make some measure of sense. But what of Aliyah? Maybe we’ll never know!

Drew McIntyre tried a surprise attack on Karrion Kross in a reversal of how things have been going between these two and he ended up beaten pretty badly with a strap. This entire program has done wonders for making Kross look good but I’m not so sure McIntyre is taking the loss at the actual PPV. We shall see. I did like how Kross wasn’t entirely surprised because the crowd started cheering during his entrance and he instantly recognized that couldn’t be right and knew there must be someone behind him. Little stuff like that goes a long way.

A brief promo aired that seemed to tease The Viking Raiders returning with … Sarah Logan?!?

Max Dupri finally realized the truth — he is LA Knight❗❗.

A damn good show.

color][/i][/quote]you said the main segment was strange but you still gave it an A+. I'll say this about it; we were supposed to get an interview session between Roman and Logan, but it ended up being a Heyman speech and a Bloodline story continuation. Nothing they did looked like it was promoting a match at Saudi. It might have even done more harm cos it made WWE look less mainstream with Heyman's uncalled-for examples and illustrations and making Logan look incompetent. Logan didn't respond and talk about the match, he just did whatever he did.
And let's not forget the opposite reactions they were getting. Who's the heel and who's the babyface? O my.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:28pm On Oct 08, 2022
pu7pl3:

Lol, hope you know I'll have to watch the show first before I post grin grin

I didn't have enough time to watch it since
admit I was right still.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:35pm On Oct 08, 2022
ValeeLove:
admit I was right still.

You're never going to quit are you
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:38pm On Oct 08, 2022
ValeeLove:
color][/i]you said the main segment was strange but you still gave it an A+. I'll say this about it; we were supposed to get an interview session between Roman and Logan, but it ended up being a Heyman speech and a Bloodline story continuation. Nothing they did looked like it was promoting a match at Saudi. It might have even done more harm cos it made WWE look less mainstream with Heyman's uncalled-for examples and illustrations and making Logan look incompetent. Logan didn't respond and talk about the match, he just did whatever he did.
And let's not forget the opposite reactions they were getting. Who's the heel and who's the babyface? O my.

would have been a B or C but Sheamus elevated it
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:47pm On Oct 08, 2022
pu7pl3:

You're never going to quit are you
there is no quit in ValeeLove my friend no no no no no no no nooo! ValeeLove says you take off one of his arm, he'll fight you with the other arm! He says you take out one of his legs, ValeeLove will hobble and hobble and hobble and kick you with the other leg!! ValeeLove says you take out one of his testicles, the people's testicles, he'll take out the other one shine it up real nice, turn it sideways and STICK IT STRAIGHT UP YOUR CANDY A*S!!
So yeah, I don't quit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:48pm On Oct 08, 2022
pu7pl3:

would have been a B or C but Sheamus elevated it
this one na ojoro.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:13pm On Oct 08, 2022
ValeeLove:
there is no quit in ValeeLove my friend no no no no no no no nooo! ValeeLove says you take off one of his arm, he'll fight you with the other arm! He says you take out one of his legs, ValeeLove will hobble and hobble and hobble and kick you with the other leg!! ValeeLove says you take out one of his testicles, the people's testicles, he'll take out the other one shine it up real nice, turn it sideways and STICK IT STRAIGHT UP YOUR CANDY A*S!!
So yeah, I don't quit.

Lol, I respect that
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:13pm On Oct 08, 2022
ValeeLove:
this one na ojoro.

No vex grin grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 11:13am On Oct 09, 2022
WWE Extreme Rules 2022 RECAPS & REACTIONS: Philly special

WWE hit the Wells Fargo Center for Extreme Rules last night (Sat., Oct. 8, 2022) in Philadelphia and I’ll be damned if Triple H and the gang didn’t go and do it again. The new regime is doing a stellar job and where that’s most clear is in these Premium Live Events, where the storytelling is strongest, and they pay you off for paying attention.

Speaking of which…
Hot damn, the white rabbit led us right to the return of Bray Wyatt, like everyone expected it to, like it always should have. And thankfully it’s what we were given.
Wyatt is one of a kind. There are legitimate criticisms to make about the characters he’s played and how they slot into the shows he’s been on — Seth Rollins mentioned it recently — but you just aren’t getting this level of creativity anywhere else. At some point you ask yourself if it’s worth the trade off.
The reaction here sure made it seem like it’s absolutely worth it.
I’m not even going to bother to try to decipher the presentation. They seemed to run through all the old characters, and showed the Fun House full of cobwebs. Maybe leaving it all behind in favor of something new?
Then again, he brought back the lantern, which got a thunderous ovation, before unmasking to reveal himself.
I don’t know what the hell is going on. I hardly care. This was a great deal of fun, and it feels good to be swept up in it.

On a night that featured a lot of great matches and angles, the main event was a bit of a disappointment. Daniel Cormier was brought in and they made a big deal of it, giving it the top spot on the show, and it was just sort of there.
They did a ton of selling and counting, had one big spot, and Riddle just submitted Rollins clean. It felt like the finish came out of nowhere, Cormier never really got overly involved in anything, and it felt like a weak end to what’s been a fairly strong feud.
Of course, there was a major angle coming after it, with Wyatt’s return, so this will likely be forgotten quickly, but it was easily the worst thing on the show.

For the first half of the I Quit match, I wasn’t a big fan of how hard they went on the idea that Balor and Edge were beating each other to death so badly they needed to ask if they would give up that early on. Michael Cole even mentioned saving Edge for his own good.
Up to that point, he had taken arguably less offense than anyone else on the card up to that point.
Really, though, it was all just build to what would come next.
When it got really good in the second half.
They got to the point that they could tell that story when all of Judgment Day arrived and Edge ended up handcuffed to the ropes and taking kendo stick shot after kendo stick shot to the back. Rey Mysterio hit the scene to even things up a bit but his own son, Dominik, took him out to add to their issues.
Then Beth Phoenix got in and set up a dream match with Rhea Ripley that got a MONSTER response with an electric face-off. Everything that happened after everyone else got involved had a ton of heat.
In the end, Ripley took out Beth with brass knuckles, and Edge got hit with a ton of finishers and THEN it made sense for the babyface to tell ‘em to “go to hell” when Balor told him to say he quits.
And then they cut to Beth, knocked out in the ring, and Rhea grabbing two chairs to set up the conchairto.
Edge, ever the family man, which they made sure to set up in promos leading up to this, was left with no choice.
“I quit.”
Ripley did it anyway.
This had nuclear heat, and almost certainly has to be setting up something for War Games, and that’s also going to be awesome.
As slow and somewhat annoying as this was in the first half, it was that much better in the second half. This absolutely ruled.

The odds were heavily stacked against Bianca Belair, as she entered her Ladder match against Bayley without any of the backup she’s enjoyed over the past few weeks in her feud with Damage CTRL. Asuka and Alexa Bliss were unavailable to assist her should she need to fend off IYO SKY and Dakota Kai.
It didn’t matter. She did it all by herself.
She did so by, quite literally, hitting both SKY and Kai with a Kiss of Death at the very same time. She is very strong, remember.
The strongEST.
Later, she did something I can’t remember seeing before — put Bayley up for the KOD while Bayley had a ladder with her and then hit said KOD so the challenger landed directly onto the ladder, right on her face. It looked like it may have busted her lip open.
They didn’t do any really flashy spots in this match, which is long what you expect with Ladder matches in WWE, but everything they did looked incredibly painful. In that regard, it was one of the better Ladder matches in recent memory.
It was also a ringing endorsement of Belair, who, as I stated, more or less won a 1v3 here. It left no room for a second match, so it will be interesting to see where they go from here, seeing as there’s still a show before Survivor Series.

I really enjoyed the nod to the rest of their program at the start of Drew McIntyre vs. Karrion Kross, namely that it wasn’t allowed to start on time because the latter jumped McIntyre before putting the Strap on. That’s been the theme for the entire back-and-forth between these two.
McIntyre, in the end, had to finally get the upper hand and put the Strap on Kross himself before they could officially get underway.
What ensued was just the kind of beefy brawl we knew we’d be in for, with a finish we always should have expected. Just as it seemed McIntyre had it in the bag, counting down for his Claymore kick, Scarlett hit the ring and made sure it didn’t happen.
By blinding him with pepper spray.
Hey, it’s a no disqualification match. Of course this is the kind of finish we would get. It’s the only logical conclusion when one wrestler has someone to help and the other doesn’t.
It’s probably not the end of this, though, and I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not after this match.

As if to showcase how little attention WWE paid to the SmackDown women’s championship feud leading into this show, Ronda Rousey challenging Liv Morgan for the title was on second. Considering the fact that Roman Reigns wasn’t scheduled for this show and this was the only Extreme Rules match on the card, I assumed they could headline.
I should have known better.
By the end of it, it was mostly clear why they didn’t go on last. They worked hard, and had probably the best match these two possibly could, but they never really had the Philly faithful.
In the end, it was more or less the story they were telling all along — Morgan never really belonged in there with Rousey. That was shown in the beating she took all throughout. She got a few moments of her own, but in the end she didn’t even tap out. She simply smiled as she was being put to sleep.
I’m not entirely sure what the smile was about. She kept smiling after, even while Rousey was heeling it up to the crowd and repeatedly saying “this is my night, bitch” or something along those lines.
I suppose we’ll just have to … sigh … watch her to find out what that was all about, and see what’s next.

WWE opened the premium live event with the Imperium vs. Brawling Brutes six-man tag team match, just one night after Sheamus was screwed out of the Intercontinental championship when GUNTHER went full Chael Sonnen and tapped but not really and then cheated his way to victory.
How would they follow that up?
By building to yet another spot where GUNTHER was on the verge of tapping and allowing the tension to become palpable throughout the arena … only to have Ludwig Kaiser break it up.
You gotta love pro wrestling.
The rest of the match was the kind of madness you’d expect from a match like this. GUNTHER ended up powerbombed through a table and Giovanni Vinci was all that was left to deal with Sheamus, BUTCH, and Ridge Holland. He was ceremoniously held up to eat a Brogue Kick and give the good guys the victory and a measure of redemption.
Leading off with this match was a smart call, if for no other reason than these teams were going to deliver a banger to get the evening started off proper. And they did just that.

A fun show!

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by dahmie2013: 7:55am On Oct 10, 2022
Best extreme rules PPV ever.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Gidah: 8:30am On Oct 10, 2022
You can see the smile on ole sheamy and the oda lads face the match was da bomb of the night. Read it with British accent
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:04am On Oct 10, 2022
Gidah:
You can see the smile on ole sheamy and the oda lads face the match was da bomb of the night. Read it with British accent

There was also a smile on my face

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:46am On Oct 11, 2022
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
The Bloodline is a legit crime family and I love it. Roman Reigns’ whole thing is a mob boss, which is a secret to no one. But the fantastic opening segment this week with the Bloodline, with a later follow-up, crystalized how much this two-year story owes to mob movies and mob history. And the person who puts it all over the top is Sami Zayn.
Every mob movie has a mediator character. The cat who makes peace when the other members are at war with each other. More importantly, this person has the ear of the Capo dei capi. They’re the Boss of all bosses’ most trusted soldier. Sami, in very short time, is that person for Reigns. Because they’re both incredible at their respective roles, they bring the best out of each other. Sami enables Roman to show the Tribal Chief’s lighter side, while Roman gives Sami permission to be more than just comic relief. This week, Sami did what very few people do: He interrupted Reigns mid-speech.
Before Roman got to his beef with Jey Uso, Sami reminded the champ that he made Jey Uso a Sami Zayn problem. And with that in mind, he wanted a chance to talk to handle Jey. Reigns flashed that look that makes everyone afraid of him, stepped to Sami, and smiled. Because Sami is 1000 percent correct. Sami took center stage and made points about everyone in the Bloodline, including Jey, that which Roman agreed. Before Sami got to his ultimate point about Jey and his future in the Bloodline, Matthew Riddle showed his face. Riddle challenged Roman to a rematch. Reigns said nah. Riddle challenged any member of the Bloodline and Jey nominated Sami, because of course he did. Sami accepted.
Later on, Reigns gave Jeu explicit orders to make sure his honorary Uce gets the victory. Which sounds good and all but during the actual match, Sami told Jey he didn’t need the help.
This is the part of the movie where one family member, hellbent on proving the most trusted soldier isn’t trustworthy, sows discord by putting the boss’ ire squarely on that trusted soldier. I get it. I watch a lot of mob flicks and documentaries.
For a while, Sami handled Riddle. But then the match spilled to the outside and Sami, expecting some Uso help from Jimmy & Jey, received none. Riddle took advantage of the free shots on Riddle while the tag champs watched. Jimmy, Sami’s friend, wanted to intervene but Jey held him back. When Riddle pinned Sami and walked out of Brooklyn with the win, Jey told Jimmy not to help Sami up to his feet. According to Jey, Sami said he’s got it so just let him get it.
To paraphrase the New Day, Jey’s Daddy told him one thing and his Step Daddy told him another thing. So rather than get caught in the middle, he put them against each other with the excuse that he was just following orders.
This story rocks, and SmackDown is must-see this week.

25 Years...
Where were you in 1997? I was a 3-year old still growing up to eventually start idolizing Shawn Michaels, meaning I was feeling myself way too much and doing my best to copy D-Generation X shenanigans without getting caught. DX celebrated an anniversary this week and it was not only self-aware and succinct, but it was...classy? They shouted out Chyna and Billy Gunn elegantly while basking in the crowd’s adulation. Whoever came up with the line about Billy “doing something with office furniture” is a genius.
That’s it. No analysis, no criticisms. Just taking this space to say it was a nice nostalgic moment that didn’t overstay its welcome. Oh and we got that hilarious moment at the beginning of Raw. As long as I live, I apparently will never grow up because that made me chuckle nonsensically.

Extracurriculars
The Beat Goes On...
I’m shocked, shocked I tell you. I did not predict Johnny Gargano getting a clean W over Austin Theory this week. Not only that, but Theory didn’t even attack him when the match ended. While I know Theory has that briefcase so, in theory—pun intended—an L doesn’t matter. But, it kinda does matter if the ultimate goal is him getting a championship around his waist. Then again, does anyone believe Austin Theory is beating Roman Reigns? I don’t believe he’s beating him in a thumb wrestling match, much less a pro wrestling match. But I digress.
This was a solid match with a nice story of the teacher fighting the student. The student believed he surpassed the teacher, even locking Gargano in the Gargano Escape. One really dope segment saw both men go for a super kick but Theory was just a bit quicker, which also tells a story. Ultimately, Johnny Wrestling walked out victorious because while Theory might be quicker and stronger, he’s still not smarter. Johnny caught the young man slipping on three occasions when Theory literally rushed in with a full head of steam.
This is a big victory for Johnny Wrestling, but still makes me wonder what the ultimate plan is for young Austin.

Corey Graves should never, ever, ever say “nahmean” again in his life.

Anyway, after Rey Mysterio dispatched Chad Gable with the 619, Dominik and Rhea continued making his life a living hell. Dom antagonized his father physically this time, pushing, shoving, and even slapping his dad while begging for a retaliation. When the rest of the Judgment Day showed up and it looked like Rey might finally let off some steam through beating up Finn Balor, Dom tackled his old man into next Monday, attacking him from behind, and hitting him with a 619 of his own.
This is still compelling stuff, made better through Rey’s tears while fighting back every physical urge he has. And every single thing Dom does or says just makes the crowd hate him even more. Once Brooklyn saw Rey crying, the boos turned up several notches.
Rey is a glass case of emotion and we all feel it.

Califooooooornia
Look, if they’re going to call it “The OC” then I’m making references to the early 2000s Fox show I never watched but kids in my college dorm did.
Let’s not bury the lede here: Gallows & Anderson are back, and they have AJ Styles’ back. Finn issued an ultimatum to Styles, Styles came out and suckered Finn into thinking he joined the Judgment Day, quoted New Jack City, and then out came the Good Brothers. The Judgment Day didn’t know what to do with all of that heat, so they scampered like roaches when the lights come on and chose to fight another day.
This is a great look for AJ, while giving us a rich story as Finn’s new family faces his old family. It’s time to play the feud!
OH! Finn Balor? Never say “too legit to quit” ever again. Thanks.

Retaking CNTRL
Bayley was hot. After losing at Extreme Rules, the Role Model took her anger out on Candice LeRae this week. Well, she tried. Candice, working on a bum knee, caught Bayley off guard and got the W. Solid match that needed more time. But hey, what can you do about that besides complain?
The most intriguing part was Bianca Belair coming to Candice’s aid after Dakota Kai & IYO SKY participated in the standard heel beat down. But even Bianca wasn’t enough, as she and Candice were no match for Damage CNTRL. Apparently Asuka & Alexa Bliss are no longer a part of this? If not, I wonder who helps Belair & LeRae? Possibly a boss? Just saying, it makes a whole lot of sense.

Blame Brock
Seth Rollins is your new United States champ! It wasn’t much of a match to speak of as far as “quality” goes. And you can thank Brock Lesnar for that. The Beast showed up in Brooklyn with a message for Lashley. Not so much in words but in violence, as he F’5’d the now former champ several times and locked his arm into the Kimura Lock.
Bobby, clearly not ready for competition anymore, let Seth goad him into a match. Seth called Bobby a bad solider and disgrace to the country, etc. So, yeah, Bobby fought valiantly but the damage was done.
IF you’re taking the title off of Lashley and setting him up for a match with Lesnar at Crown Jewel, this is probably the best way to do that. Although, Brock destroying another Black champion with the ease of an adult tossing a balloon into the air is definitely a thing WWE needs to acknowledge. Even if it’s not intentionally racist, appearances are everything.

Strike Out
This isn’t my first complaint about the Dexter Lumis and Miz thing, but this is the latest. Miz’s birthday celebration, where Maryse gifted him a bat and two giant balls—how clever—just didn’t work for me. Throw in Dexter Lumis’ “surprise” reveal, Maryse kinda but not really getting a face full of cake, and yeah, no bueno.
The good news is we’re finally getting some resolution. Next week, Miz wrestles Dexter. If Miz wins, Dexter is gone. But if Miz loses, Dexter gets a WWE contract. So, yeah, expect Miz to lose.

Shoutout to Road Dogg for hearing my complaints from my couch and answering them in real time. Priases be to D-Generation X, answering all of my questions since ‘97.

WWE Squash
Yup, Omos still squashing cats.

Raw started strong and ended strong. The first two hours flew by but the third hour dragged a bit. I know it’s not happening but a two-hour Raw sounds like a hell of a show. As it stands, this was a good one, not a great one. Actually, it was a really good one.

Grade: B+

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 11:19am On Oct 11, 2022
pu7pl3:

Blame Brock
Seth Rollins is your new United States champ! It wasn’t much of a match to speak of as far as “quality” goes. And you can thank Brock Lesnar for that. The Beast showed up in Brooklyn with a message for Lashley. Not so much in words but in violence, as he F’5’d the now former champ several times and locked his arm into the Kimura Lock.
Bobby, clearly not ready for competition anymore, let Seth goad him into a match. Seth called Bobby a bad solider and disgrace to the country, etc. So, yeah, Bobby fought valiantly but the damage was done.
IF you’re taking the title off of Lashley and setting him up for a match with Lesnar at Crown Jewel, this is probably the best way to do that. Although, Brock destroying another Black champion with the ease of an adult tossing a balloon into the air is definitely a thing WWE needs to acknowledge. Even if it’s not intentionally racist, appearances are everything.

I care less about their racism and if they were I wouldn't be surprised. I'm glad Brock is back, but should I care? Is he back to compete or to just make some money for and off WWE at their bosses' event over at Saudi? Now he's back...for Lashley. The same guy that wasn't interested in facing Lashley some months ago even when if felt like he was almost going to be begged to do one. Now he can't face Roman again, because they've had their tagged "final match" and I'm pretty sure that's what he wants. What am I trying to say; WWE lacks new names. People you can count on to draw money. They had one with Theory until they made him look like a fool several times on TV.
There is absolutely no one with Lesnar's influence in the whole of wrestling and if WWE can't create names as big as that for over a decade then they have failed. It's that simple.
I wonder who Brock faces at Mania cos it's definately not Roman.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:36pm On Oct 11, 2022
ValeeLove:
I care less about their racism and if they were I wouldn't be surprised. I'm glad Brock is back, but should I care? Is he back to compete or to just make some money for and off WWE at their bosses' event over at Saudi? Now he's back...for Lashley. The same guy that wasn't interested in facing Lashley some months ago even when if felt like he was almost going to be begged to do one. Now he can't face Roman again, because they've had their tagged "final match" and I'm pretty sure that's what he wants. What am I trying to say; WWE lacks new names. People you can count on to draw money. They had one with Theory until they made him look like a fool several times on TV.
There is absolutely no one with Lesnar's influence in the whole of wrestling and if WWE can't create names as big as that for over a decade then they have failed. It's that simple.
I wonder who Brock faces at Mania cos it's definately not Roman.

what of AEW?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 8:09pm On Oct 11, 2022
pu7pl3:

what of AEW?
let's see. They are just 3 years old and they got legends in Mox, Jericho, Punk, Joe and Danielson. Then they've Kenny, Cole, Hangman and Miro. They've also got the 4 pillars in Sammy, Jungle Boy, Darby and MJF. After that there's Wheeler, Daniel Garcia, Ricky Starks, Hobbs, Wardlow. Let's not forget HOOK! They look like they are doing something. Meanwhile this isn't even about AEW.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:53pm On Oct 11, 2022
ValeeLove:
let's see. They are just 3 years old and they got legends in Mox, Jericho, Punk, Joe and Danielson. Then they've Kenny, Cole, Hangman and Miro. They've also got the 4 pillars in Sammy, Jungle Boy, Darby and MJF. After that there's Wheeler, Daniel Garcia, Ricky Starks, Hobbs, Wardlow. Let's not forget HOOK! They look like they are doing something. Meanwhile this isn't even about AEW.

Lmaooo, you're calling WWE hall of famers and people nobody knows...
But when it's WWE you say it's only Austin.
Please rest.

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (298) (Reply)

Cuando Seas Mia: 'When You Are Mine' / ARROW and THE FLASH fan page....... / Top 15 Nollywood Stars Who Have Passed Away In Recent Years

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.