Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,546 members, 7,819,939 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

“children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady (19663 Views)

Father In Tears As DNA Test Confirms Four Out Of Five Children Are Not His / Pastor Discovers His Children Are Not His, After DNA Tests / I'm 22 Years Old And A Burden On My Family, I'm Thinking Of Leaving Home. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by babashiko(m): 9:05am On Mar 08, 2018
Maybe you have damaged your womb while having abortion and you can get pregnant again and want to use her claim to deceive the guy in her life right now
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by shegie(m): 9:07am On Mar 08, 2018
u be real fucking idiot....so u telling me u av slow down ur parent carrier when u still a kid abi?
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by ImaIma1(f): 9:11am On Mar 08, 2018
Turkeelex:

Should i tell u something, The black race biggest problem & nightmare is not wanting to hear "The Bitter Truth" We hate people saying plainly truth direct to our faces. We so much despise it. We love to twist things, We love to Cut-Short the truth. Whether u like it or not, Raising children are "Burden" very big task & heavy load and a blessings as well.

To me, it is not a burden...it is a responsibility. A burden cannot be a blessing at the same time. Trust me, I know.
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by Nobody: 9:12am On Mar 08, 2018
off course having children slows down your prostituting career, men who get attracted to ur boobs are suddenly repulsed when they see u with ur children.
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by Chukazu: 9:21am On Mar 08, 2018
Lsofdk:

You should know not every child was brestfed(due to one reason or another)
So I don't see why a mother can't switch or mix both(breast and baby milk) if breastfeeding alone is causing her health challenges

I didn't say breastfeeding alone...you need to be in someone's shoes before making conclusion.for the few months I was with her I could relate to what the Twitter poster is saying
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by flair19(m): 9:22am On Mar 08, 2018
Nawaoooo... She was a burden to her parents, yet, she don't want another person to be a burden to her. See how wicked, selfish and self-centered she's? I think she's one of the many of these lost digital generation children. Check her age, she's not even up to 25 yrs. God save this generation.
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by ImaIma1(f): 9:22am On Mar 08, 2018
kense88:
They have the same meaning. Some of them will grow up to become a problem to the society. If you can't give them the best, please save the world another trouble maker. Only well trained children are beneficial to the society and worth celebrating. My cents

A burden is something difficult or unpleasant that you have to deal with. A responsibility is duty you need to carry out.

Responsibility is something you are legally and morally accountable for while a burden is a load...something worrisome or oppressive.

For people who do not like kids or are not ready for one, a child is a burden. For those who love children or are ready for them, a child is a responsibility.

...yahoo references

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by Xisnin(m): 9:27am On Mar 08, 2018
Good for you.
Dear "mental health practitioner",
You are free to not have kids so you can face your career and life squarely and not be distracted.
Also, you should never marry(because that is a bigger burden).
Don't forget to cut off all your friends since they can be a source of burden to you.
I will also advice you delete all your social media accounts, since they introduce some
burdens into your life.

However, we won't want to see your post later in life about how miserable you have become.

The day you stop having a burden you are dead!
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by Elnensco(m): 9:29am On Mar 08, 2018
Xo as your mama born you na mistake ba..mumu girl
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by Nobody: 9:31am On Mar 08, 2018
Those who are parents whether rich or poor know what she is talking about. True, children are blessing but there is an inevitable sacrifice for parents. "Those people who marry will have many trouble during their life together in this world" 1Cor 7:28 Easy English. Loving parents actually don't mind the sacrifice, but the truth remains, sacrifice, or burden or trouble are part of the deal.

2 Likes

Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by lexy2014: 9:37am On Mar 08, 2018
kokoboy4life:

Your comment show how a typical Nigerian person think how would you say bearing children in numbers it’s an investment what about you as parent working hard to have a formidable life for yourself so that when your child grow up and still yet to have a better life you won’t pile pressure on him/her to start giving you money. This kind of thought it’s what is bringing this country backward, we need to change the way we thinks
when u raise a child, u are investing in d child's future. D essence might not b 4 he/she 2 now b ur bank in old age but 4d child 2b successful and independent. I don't no were u got d idea that there's a Nigerian way of thinking as regards kids. If u teach a child good morals, isn't that an investment? If u teach a child how 2 look out 4 himself/herself isn't that an investment which u will yield by having fulfilment&pride and which d society will gain from? Do Nigerian parents not practice this or are u from another country?
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by Tedassie(m): 9:41am On Mar 08, 2018
PrimadonnaO:

It's just the simple truth. People have chosen to be sentimental about it. But yes, we do want and love them still and won't trade that for anything else. wink
Leave sentiments apart, her choice of words were poor and condescending!
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by Amhappy(f): 9:43am On Mar 08, 2018
Using her words ,I was once a burden so i am very much willing to carry it. Children are gifts from God,the fruit of the womb is a reward. It is challenging to raise children but it shouldn't be taken as a burden. They can slow your career down and all that she mentioned that's true. However,She doesn't know how it feels to have no child,that is one hell of a burden.
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by delishpot: 10:00am On Mar 08, 2018
Nigerians sha. 90% of those insulting her do not have stable relationships talkless of kids. You can see this through their perception of what she said.
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by lexy2014: 10:08am On Mar 08, 2018
Turkeelex:

Chai!!! how did u arrive at your own meaning of burden as Nuisance
nuisance simply means something that gives trouble, that annoys, a pain in d neck. In d context in which she referred 2 children as "burden", we are talking about d same thing
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by Rubyventures: 10:32am On Mar 08, 2018
The truth is a very bitter pill to swallow angry angry

1 Like

Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by hippieguy(m): 10:42am On Mar 08, 2018
The moment taking care and training your own child becomes a burden to you, u have lost the right to parenthood. So would you be happy if God decides to help you and relieve you of the burden or would He be wrong? I think she probably used the wrong word for a sound expression. I'd preferred seeing it as a responsibility than a burden. It's like saying a student in school considering reading for ur bright future as a burden. Then such a fellow being in school in the first place can be questioned. Much as I understood her thought, that's too much disconnect a word to use when it comes to parenting no matter the condition of a child. They just don't match. Responsibility better. That's what God gives parents: stewardship responsibility, not burden. I stand to be corrected though.
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by marvin906(m): 10:45am On Mar 08, 2018
Turkeelex:

Ok then those ones targets are outrageous N10million

you see..
if we where to wait till when we achieve our target in life..
some of us wont marry or have kids in this life
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by marvin906(m): 10:46am On Mar 08, 2018
Turkeelex:

Ok then those ones targets are outrageous N10million

you see..
if we where to wait till when we achieve our target in life..
some of us wont marry or have kids in this life
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by PrimadonnaO(f): 10:47am On Mar 08, 2018
Tedassie:

Leave sentiments apart, her choice of words were poor and condescending!

The choice of words weren't nice, actually.
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by VictorRomanov: 10:49am On Mar 08, 2018
ProfEinstein:
Bitter truth!!!! You must not have children if you can't take care of them. There is nothing wrong if one doesn't want kids cos of the burden and added responsibility that comes with it but in this clime we live people see as it disturbing not to want to have kids.

While she's saying the truth, I don't think the choice of word is right. Saying children are a burden is like saying everyone on earth today is or was a burden. Cos we are or were all children to our parents. And considering the fact that people spend time, energy and money searching for this 'burden' makes her statement more ridiculous.

She could have said having a child when one isn't prepared or ready can be a burden.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by obi123: 10:49am On Mar 08, 2018
DrinkLimca:
She is a mental health practitioner and i think that she is developing mental deficiency that needs serious attention from a real health practitioner...

No kid is a burden and children are not burden..

On the contrary children are blessing to the world because all great men and women that have made the world a better place were ones kids..

I was never a burden to my parents.. and i believe that she too was never a burden to her parents and that was why she was not aborted..

People that think children are burden are irresponsible people that failed to plan for their lives..

They are wayward and selfish so they see children as a burden because they live a wayward life filled with bad decisions, they are lazy in even taking care of themselves so they see kids as a burden when their inresponsibilities brings a child out of wedlock..

goodness me 29 likes

2 Likes

Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by obi123: 10:56am On Mar 08, 2018
hippieguy:
The moment taking care and training your own child becomes a burden to you, u have lost the right to parenthood. So would you be happy if God decides to help you and relieve you of the burden or would He be wrong? I think she probably used the wrong word for a sound expression. I'd preferred seeing it as a responsibility than a burden. It's like saying a student in school considering reading for ur bright future as a burden. Then such a fellow being in school in the first place can be questioned. Much as I understood her thought, that's too much disconnect a word to use when it comes to parenting no matter the condition of a child. They just don't match. Responsibility better. That's what God gives parents: stewardship responsibility, not burden. I stand to be corrected though.

Truth is as a parent there will be a time when you actually think , omg what have i gotten myself into, you will wonder about your choice to get married , who you married, having kids, was this the right time and things like that ,it also ok to miss your single days when you had nothing to worry about and were free to do whatever.
its perfectly natural to feel less than a parent at times.

some people dont feel the pressure of parenthood because they dont do anything really and leave the caregiver responsibilities to someone else, for the main care giver and for some one who is very hands on with the kids, it can feel like a burden sometimes.

if your idea of parenthood is just to pay for school fees and watch someone else actually care for the child, then parenthood will be a breeze.
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by boyjo: 10:58am On Mar 08, 2018
DrinkLimca:
She is a mental health practitioner and i think that she is developing mental deficiency that needs serious attention from a real health practitioner...

No kid is a burden and children are not burden..

On the contrary children are blessing to the world because all great men and women that have made the world a better place were ones kids..

I was never a burden to my parents.. and i believe that she too was never a burden to her parents and that was why she was not aborted..

People that think children are burden are irresponsible people that failed to plan for their lives..

They are wayward and selfish so they see children as a burden because they live a wayward life filled with bad decisions, they are lazy in even taking care of themselves so they see kids as a burden when their inresponsibilities brings a child out of wedlock..

Thank you for posting. She almost got me!
This is really really true:

They are wayward and selfish so they see children as a burden because they live a wayward life filled with bad decisions, they are lazy in even taking care of themselves so they see kids as a burden when their inresponsibilities brings a child out of wedlock..[/b]
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by Lsofdk(m): 11:20am On Mar 08, 2018
Chukazu:

I didn't say breastfeeding alone...you need to be in someone's shoes before making conclusion.for the few months I was with her I could relate to what the Twitter poster is saying
I understand the twitter poster's point, but that doesn't make it a general truth. If you see children as burdens and they will definitely be a burden for you and they'll slow down your career.
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by Bellarod05: 11:22am On Mar 08, 2018
Its always good to live a balanced life....you can have a good career, good family life,good spiritual life,What is the point if one area is lacking....
joshuakdboy:

Is that a bad way to reason?

Is a man supposed to be more important than their career?
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by hippieguy(m): 11:41am On Mar 08, 2018
[quote author=obi123 post=65660954]

Truth is as a parent there will be a time when you actually think , omg what have i gotten myself into, you will wonder about your choice to get married , who you married, having kids, was this the right time and things like that ,it also ok to miss your single days when you had nothing to worry about and were free to do whatever.

some people dont feel the pressure of parenthood because they dont do anything really and leave the caregiver responsibilities to someone else, for the main care giver and for some one who is very hands on with the kids, it can feel like a burden sometimes.

if your idea of parenthood is just to pay for school fees and watch someone else actually care for the child, then parenthood will be a breeze.

I guess u didn't take your time to understand my comment. Whatever you think u might be going thru or sacrificing for ur kids comes under parental responsibility. The challenges may differ to our unique environment, dreams and orientations. Whatever it is, it can never in any way make a burden of ur taking care of the child u brought into the world, which tomorrow all things being equal, is expected to in turn take care of u. There is nothing in life that doesn't come with their respective sacrifice. Those reasons she mentioned and many more can still be classified as part of the challenging responsibilities of parenthood unless the person was not prepared for it or probably was misinformed of it being a stroll in the park. When u see it as part of the responsibility, it ceases to be a burden. Unless u want to pray for God to relieve u of it by killing the kids so u can be free without distractions and "burden".
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by hippieguy(m): 11:45am On Mar 08, 2018
[quote author=obi123 post=65660954]

My dear, I guess u didn't take your time to understand my comment. Whatever you think u might be going thru or sacrificing for ur kids comes under parental responsibility. The challenges may differ to our unique environment, dreams and orientations. Whatever it is, it can never in any way make a burden of ur taking care of the child u brought into the world, which tomorrow all things being equal, is expected to in turn take care of u. There is nothing in life that doesn't come with their respective sacrifice. Those reasons she mentioned and many more can still be classified as part of the challenging responsibilities of parenthood unless the person was not prepared for it or probably was misinformed of it being a stroll in the park. When u see it as part of the responsibility, it ceases to be a burden. Unless u want to pray for God to relieve u of it by killing the kids so u can be free without distractions and "burden". I knew what she meant. I am equally a parent. So don't think I don't know what I am saying[color=#006600][/color]
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by hippieguy(m): 11:50am On Mar 08, 2018
obi123:

My dear, I guess u didn't take your time to understand my comment. Whatever you think u might be going thru or sacrificing for ur kids comes under parental responsibility. The challenges may differ to our unique environment, dreams and orientations. Whatever it is, it can never in any way make a burden of ur taking care of the child u brought into the world, which tomorrow all things being equal, is expected to in turn take care of u. There is nothing in life that doesn't come with their respective sacrifice. Those reasons she mentioned and many more can still be classified as part of the challenging responsibilities of parenthood unless the person was not prepared for it or probably was misinformed of it being a stroll in the park. When u see it as part of the responsibility, it ceases to be a burden. Unless u want to pray for God to relieve u of it by killing the kids so u can be free without distractions and "burden". I knew what she meant. I am equally a parent. So don't think I don't know what I am saying
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by Damianbrown(m): 12:42pm On Mar 08, 2018
eleojo23:
I think she is indirectly trying to say that people should give birth to the number of kids they can take care of.

Don't go and be producing children as if na only you God give the command to 'be fruitful and multiply'

And she is also right on the second point. My Mum got her master's degree when I was studying for my own first degree... something she would have gotten earlier if she wasn't busy taking care of us.

I know men who do 2 jobs because they have kids to take care of. If they didn't have kids, they can live on one job comfortably with their wives.

So parenting involves sacrifices.
and you see those sacrifices are worth it, a couple without children nd have acquired all the degree in this world will still complain nd question God. So we need them.
Re: “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady by Chukazu: 12:51pm On Mar 08, 2018
Lsofdk:

I understand the twitter poster's point, but that doesn't make it a general truth. If you see children as burdens and they will definitely be a burden for you and they'll slow down your career.

Hmm... that word "burden". To carry Belle for 9months no easy stuff o
You don't see it at such but there's something as "burden of freedom" so even freedom has burden cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Do You Lift Your Spirits When You Are Down? / My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" / Women: Guard Your Beauty, It Is A Blessing!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.