Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,969 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:09 AM

Pride!!! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Pride!!! (1220 Views)

Is this Pride Or Self Respect? This Has Cost Many Guys Their Relationship / "Jesus Was Bisexual" - Yemisi Ilesanmi Attends London Gay Pride (Photos) / Why You Should Never Masturbate Ever Again: By Victor Pride (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pride!!! by Martin0(m): 9:01am On Mar 18, 2018
PRIDE is a relationship killer! It will take your friendships, your marriage, and any other relationship you value, and tear them up into shreds. In its wake, pride will leave behind hurt, bitterness, destruction, and pain. Not a pretty picture, is it?

A common sign of pride is the refusal to say “I’m sorry.” The inability to apologize can appear for two reasons. First, a prideful person may not be able to see they are wrong. Second, a prideful person might not be willing to admit fault even when they know it is there. Either way, the words “I’m sorry” are never heard or if they are, they are quickly followed by “but you….”

Pride makes people defensive when criticized. Criticism is not always bad. Proverbs 15:31 says, “If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise.“ Likewise, Proverbs 25:12 says, “To one who listens, valid criticism is like a gold earring or other gold jewelry.” However, if you’re full of pride, criticism strikes an ugly chord, and your immediate response is to get defensive.

Pride makes a person self-centered, wrapped up in thoughts of their own comfort, own well-being, own opinions, and own points of view - often dismissing or excluding others (including their spouse) in the process. Not a communicative, healthy, growing marriage there.

Pride says we deserve to do our own thing and go our own way. Marriage demands that we sacrifice our individual dreams and desires for the sake of the relationship. It requires us to submit our wills to one another in order for the union to flourish. Pride convinces us that sacrifice is below us and submission is unnecessary.

When pride is present, intimacy is absent. A couple can be full of pride or they can have a healthy marriage, but they cannot have both. A wise couple will recognize the agony of pride and will do everything in their power to eradicate from themselves and their relationship.

#FoodForThought

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pride!!! by XhosaNostra(f): 9:23am On Mar 18, 2018
I'm a very proud person, but I'm getting better at some of the traits as I mature as an individual. For some time in a long distant past, I used to be so dismissive, you couldn't convince me of anything. My mother even had a nickname for me, because if you tell me not to do anything, I wanted to know "why?". She called me "Ms What-will-happen". I just couldn't take another person's opinion as fact or accepted it blindly. I'm still struggling with that though because in the core of me, I don't believe anybody has the right to tell me anything, especially about the choices I make. It's my life. If I make mistakes, they're mine & they have no impact on YOUR life. Mind your business. I become extremely obstinate & confrontational when someone tries to tell me what I should do or should not be doing etc. I just don't like it. But I am improving because I can now at least admit fault. Before I had a blindspot to my own shortcomings. I believed I'm perfect. Any negative behaviour was justified- "You did that so I will do this". And I didn't care if my behaviour was hurtful or not either. I still have a problem with empathy though. If I have never been in a situation, I have a hard time sympathizing with it or feel the "appropriate" emotions for it. But I'm trying. Rome was not build in a day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pride!!! by Martin0(m): 9:34am On Mar 18, 2018
XhosaNostra:
I'm a very proud person, but I'm getting better at some of the traits as I mature as an individual. For some time in a long distant past, I used to be so dismissive, you couldn't convince me of anything. My mother even had a nickname for me, because if you tell me not to do anything, I wanted to know "why?". She called me "Ms What-will-happen". I just couldn't take another person's opinion as fact or accepted it blindly. I'm still struggling with that though because in the core of me, I don't believe anybody has the right to tell me anything, especially about the choices I make. It's my life. If I make mistakes, they're mine & they have no impact on YOUR life. Mind your business. I become extremely obstinate & confrontational when someone tries to tell me what I should do or should not be doing etc. I just don't like it. But I am improving because I can now at least admit fault. Before I had a blindspot to my own shortcomings. I believed I'm perfect. Any negative behaviour was justified- "You did that so I will do this". And I didn't care if my behaviour was hurtful or not either. I still have a problem with empathy though. If I have never been in a situation, I have a hard time sympathizing with it or feel the "appropriate" emotions for it. But I'm trying. Rome was not build in a day.

honestly was so moved to quote you back, never wanted to.

but like you said I believe you are a very good and a kinda lady that willing to.

In every circumstance, problems there is a way out.

you can do it, just be strong and keep your step counting step after step till you get to your point.
Re: Pride!!! by XhosaNostra(f): 9:36am On Mar 18, 2018
Martin0:

honestly was so moved to quote you back, never wanted to.

but like you said I believe you are a very good and a kinda lady that willing to.

In every circumstance, problems there is a way out.

you can do it, just be strong and keep your step counting step after step till you get to your point.

Yeah, it's one step at a time, Marty. Real change doesn't happen overnight. Thanks smiley
Re: Pride!!! by Nobody: 9:37am On Mar 18, 2018
Men drown in their ego as they thirst for love.
Re: Pride!!! by Martin0(m): 9:41am On Mar 18, 2018
XhosaNostra:

Yeah, it's one step at a time, Marty. Real change doesn't happen overnight. Thanks smiley

gbam just keep doing your thing and have in mind of your aim.

have u ever be into any forms of relationship before now.
Re: Pride!!! by Martin0(m): 9:44am On Mar 18, 2018
Chikita66:
Men drown in their ego as they thirst for love.

bia abeg I don't get the fucvk u mean

Re: Pride!!! by XhosaNostra(f): 9:48am On Mar 18, 2018
Martin0:

gbam just keep doing your thing and have in mind of your aim.

have u ever be into any forms of relationship before now.

I'm currently in a long-term relationship lol. So I can't be that bad if someone can tolerate me for this long tongue In fact, all my relationships have gone on for years (2 years at the least). I don't have any relationship lasting only for a couple of months grin Same thing with my friendships. Some of my friends I've known all my life & some I've known for over a decade.
Re: Pride!!! by Martin0(m): 9:50am On Mar 18, 2018
XhosaNostra:

I'm currently in a long-term relationship lol. So I can't be that bad if someone can tolerate me for this long tongue In fact, all my relationships have gone on for years (2 years at the least). I don't have any relationship lasting only for a couple of months grin Same thing with my friendships. Some of my friends I've known all my life & some I've known for over a decade.

yaaaaaaagringrin good recordgrin
Re: Pride!!! by Nobody: 9:52am On Mar 18, 2018
I'm yet to see a proud person who admits that he or she is proud. I've never seen one. Everybody claims to be humble. And when u tell a proud person that he or she is proud, they never agree and ur friendship ends. Indeed pride is a darkness in d mind even d owner can't see.

1 Like

Re: Pride!!! by XhosaNostra(f): 9:52am On Mar 18, 2018
Martin0:

yaaaaaaagringrin good recordgrin

Yeah, I guess I should consider myself blessed tongue
Re: Pride!!! by Martin0(m): 9:54am On Mar 18, 2018
XhosaNostra:

Yeah, I guess I should consider myself blessed tongue
akeregrin
Re: Pride!!! by marvin906(m): 9:56am On Mar 18, 2018
no offense
my pride is something I can't do without for now..
have brought down my wall of pride just to please some Peep's especially in my past relationships..
said sorry when I shouldn't,tolerated trash,done things i shouldn't have done,and all that..
at the end I was treated like scum..
so my pride is something I can't do without grin
Re: Pride!!! by XhosaNostra(f): 9:56am On Mar 18, 2018
Martin0:

akeregrin

Lol @ "akere". Where did you learn that?
Re: Pride!!! by Martin0(m): 9:57am On Mar 18, 2018
RadicallyBlunt:
I'm yet to see a proud person who admits that he or she is proud. I've never seen one. Everybody claims to be humble. And when u tell a proud person that he or she is proud, they never agree and ur friendship ends. Indeed pride is a darkness in d mind even d owner can't see.

gbam even me sef I may not agree if I was told am proud, but then again it a deadly disease that most be treated with immediate pressure.
Re: Pride!!! by Martin0(m): 9:59am On Mar 18, 2018
XhosaNostra:

Lol @ "akere". Where did you learn that?

my Botswana friend always speak their language to me whenever am chatting with her coz according to her she wants me to learn.
Re: Pride!!! by XhosaNostra(f): 10:00am On Mar 18, 2018
Martin0:

my Botswana friend always speak their language to me whenever am chatting with her coz according to her she wants me to learn.

Lol, that's nice. How many languages can you speak?
Re: Pride!!! by Martin0(m): 10:05am On Mar 18, 2018
XhosaNostra:

Lol, that's nice. How many languages can you speak?
eh speak ko
see am not fluent on any, I just pick the easy once just to show am aware simple
Re: Pride!!! by XhosaNostra(f): 10:06am On Mar 18, 2018
Martin0:

eh speak ko

see am not fluent on any, I just pick the easy once just to show am aware simple

Gotcha.
Re: Pride!!! by JONNYSPUTE(m): 10:11am On Mar 18, 2018
@Martin0, in as much as I don't roll with you,This your thread is very wonderful and I must commend you for it. You nailed it. Thanks.
Re: Pride!!! by Martin0(m): 10:14am On Mar 18, 2018
JONNYSPUTE:
@Martin0, in as much as I don't roll with you,This your thread is very wonderful and I must commend you for it. You nailed it. Thanks.

I greet you, your boy is always loyal. thanks!
Re: Pride!!! by JONNYSPUTE(m): 10:16am On Mar 18, 2018
Martin0:

I greet you, your boy is always loyal. thanks!
. Happy Sunday bro but you are not my boy. You are big boy already. Remain blessed.
Re: Pride!!! by Martin0(m): 10:17am On Mar 18, 2018
JONNYSPUTE:
. Happy Sunday bro but you are not my boy. You are big boy already. Remain blessed.

hmmmm OK oo same to you (happy Sunday)
Re: Pride!!! by Foodforthought: 11:07am On Mar 18, 2018
Martin0:
PRIDE is a relationship killer! It will take your friendships, your marriage, and any other relationship you value, and tear them up into shreds. In its wake, pride will leave behind hurt, bitterness, destruction, and pain. Not a pretty picture, is it?

A common sign of pride is the refusal to say “I’m sorry.” The inability to apologize can appear for two reasons. First, a prideful person may not be able to see they are wrong. Second, a prideful person might not be willing to admit fault even when they know it is there. Either way, the words “I’m sorry” are never heard or if they are, they are quickly followed by “but you….”

Pride makes people defensive when criticized. Criticism is not always bad. Proverbs 15:31 says, “If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise.“ Likewise, Proverbs 25:12 says, “To one who listens, valid criticism is like a gold earring or other gold jewelry.” However, if you’re full of pride, criticism strikes an ugly chord, and your immediate response is to get defensive.

Pride makes a person self-centered, wrapped up in thoughts of their own comfort, own well-being, own opinions, and own points of view - often dismissing or excluding others (including their spouse) in the process. Not a communicative, healthy, growing marriage there.

Pride says we deserve to do our own thing and go our own way. Marriage demands that we sacrifice our individual dreams and desires for the sake of the relationship. It requires us to submit our wills to one another in order for the union to flourish. Pride convinces us that sacrifice is below us and submission is unnecessary.

When pride is present, intimacy is absent. A couple can be full of pride or they can have a healthy marriage, but they cannot have both. A wise couple will recognize the agony of pride and will do everything in their power to eradicate from themselves and their relationship.

#FoodForThought
Why are u disturbing me?
Re: Pride!!! by Martin0(m): 11:17am On Mar 18, 2018
Foodforthought:
Why are u disturbing me?

disturbing you kwagrin
Re: Pride!!! by Mandrake007(m): 11:35am On Mar 18, 2018
Pride is not a bad thing,everyone's got an element of pride,its called the ego,in other words it's knowing your self worth and not letting people take you for granted,it's only becomes a problem when it begins to overshadow your thoughts and perspectives and have negative effects on your persona as well as the way you relate with people.

But it's all gotta to do with maturity,there's a phase for everything,every proud persons get a reality check sometimes which goes a long way in tweaking their mindsets and letting them know the world doesn't always revolve around them,might not change them completely but gives them a different outlook.

(1) (Reply)

South African Lady Shares Photos Of Herself Before And After Liver Transplant / Can You Trust A Lady With Over 1000 Friends On Facebook(pictures) / Is This Friendzone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.