Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,035 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Atheists Let's Discuss God. - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists Let's Discuss God. (9250 Views)

Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 / Atheists And Morality. A Question! / Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 9:13am On Mar 20, 2018
Gggg102:
the issue with the 4999 gods is the same with individual gods.

they are 1. scientifically inaccurate.
2. unable to be proven undeniably.
3. give false and extraordinary
promises to their followers that
fails.

Yet they know this despite NOT GOING THROUGH THEM.

Thank you for your time. I am done here with you.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by Gggg102(m): 9:17am On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

Now I really need to stop.

You say the words in bold yet said the below earlier.

How can you make such assertions such as "they are false, they contradict science, they make inaccurate claims etc despite admitting YOU HAVE NOT GONE THROUGH THESE GODS?

this is dishonest.

because the few that I have observed fall under these categories.

if the others that I haven't observed are not in this category, they won't be losing followers. if a god is accurate, why would he become unpopular? he should be becoming more popular.

e. g Greek gods and mythology
Atlas carried the heavens on his back.
we all know this for example is impossible so we know it is false and then the followers reduce.

why do you think most of these gods are unpopular, have very few followers?

because their inaccuracy is obvious.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by Gggg102(m): 9:18am On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

I have not gone through them because most of them are dead to humanity. their belief died out.

why do you think their belief died out?
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by Gggg102(m): 9:22am On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

the fact that I have not gone through them is telling enough on their existence.

why don't we hear from them any longer?

will a god who wants to have a relationship with us fade into oblivion?
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 9:25am On Mar 20, 2018
Gggg102:

because the few that I have observed fall under these categories.

if the others that I haven't observed are not in this category, they won't be losing followers. if a god is accurate, why would he become unpopular? he should be becoming more popular.

e. g Greek gods and mythology
Atlas carried the heavens on his back.
we all know this for example is impossible so we know it is false and then the followers reduce.

why do you think most of these gods are unpopular, have very few followers?

because their inaccuracy is obvious.

Now see your comment below

I have not gone through them because most of them are dead to humanity. their belief died out.

why do you think their belief died out?

Then this

the fact that I have not gone through them is telling enough on their existence.

why don't we hear from them any longer?

will a god who wants to have a relationship with us fade into oblivion?

You say you have observed A FEW yet declared MOST OF them are dead to humanity.
Yet you also said the last comment. All 3 comments following each other.

Thank you for your time. Have a good day
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by Gggg102(m): 9:31am On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

Now see your comment below

You say you have observed A FEW yet declared MOST OF them are dead to humanity.

Thank you for your time. Have a good day

is English a problem to you?
does the fact that most of them are gone mean I can't observe the ones that aren't?

I said most of them not all. which means some are still present. even from the most that have faded, you can still observe a few e. g Greek gods, Norse gods...
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 9:41am On Mar 20, 2018
Gggg102:

is English a problem to you?
does the fact that most of them are gone mean I can't observe the ones that aren't?

I said most of them not all. which means some are still present. even from the most that have faded, you can still observe a few e. g Greek gods, Norse gods...

You cannot observe a few and then declare for most when even you said their characteristics differ.

If you had indeed gone through them, even through the Norse gods you mentioned then you would realise that Norse gods gave birth to Norse paganism which was the inspiration behind the Neopagan religions of Asatru and Odinism, which originated in the 20th century and that they are both subsets of the larger Germanic neopaganism or Heathenism which is very modern.

Regarding Greek gods whom you claim to have faded, try reading up on Hellenism.

So how have they faded out?

You are being dishonest.

1 Like

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by Gggg102(m): 9:46am On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

You cannot observe a few and then declare for most when even you said their characteristics differ.

If you had indeed gone through them, even through the Norse gods you mentioned then you would realise that Norse gods gave birth to Norse paganism which was the inspiration behind the Neopagan religions of Asatru and Odinism, which originated in the 20th century and that they are both subsets of the larger Germanic neopaganism or Heathenism which is very modern.

So how have they faded out?

You are being dishonest.

yes they have faded out. they have lost popularity.
they are not as relevant as they were. they have been transformed into subjects of human imagination. to use as we like.

why are they called MYTHology?

why would a god lose popularity?

1 Like

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 9:54am On Mar 20, 2018
Gggg102:

yes they have faded out. they have lost popularity.
they are not as relevant as they were. they have been transformed into subjects of human imagination. to use as we like.

why are they called MYTHology?

why would a god lose popularity?

You still do not get it.

This is my comment earlier

SMH.

As a theist I am actually being openminded while you are being extremely close-minded.

You see God as a figment of YOUR IMAGINATION and so jetissoned it. Others do not see it the way you see. So when you make your assertions you specifically speak for yourself.

What I want is for you to show me how YOU got to the point of factually declaring that the entire 4999 gods are imaginary.

The adherents do not see it as a mythology no matter how many times you say it because of the factors I listed earlier.

It's not what they are called by those who do not follow them that makes them true. It's simply their personal opinions which is devoid of what the adherents perceive.

1 Like

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by Gggg102(m): 9:59am On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

You still do not get it.

This is my comment earlier

The adherents do not see it as a mythology no matter how many times you say it because of the factors I listed earlier.

It's not what they are called by those who do not follow them that makes them true. It's simply their personal opinions which Is devoid of what the adherents perceive.

then what makes them true

how do you differentiate a true god from a false god?
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 10:05am On Mar 20, 2018
Gggg102:

then what makes them true

Their own INDIVIDUAL perceptions and experiences (if any) and not what another who does not share their roots or ideals says.

It may not be universally true and does not need to be (as far as the adherent is concerned ".

1 Like

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by Gggg102(m): 10:08am On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

Their own INDIVIDUAL perceptions and experiences (if any) and not what another who does not share their roots or ideals says.

It may not be universally true and does not need to be (as far as the adherent is concerned ".

I am talking about universal truth.

what makes a god universally true?
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 10:13am On Mar 20, 2018
Gggg102:

I am talking about universal truth.

what makes a god universally true?

I am not talking about universal truth because that Is also based on individual adherents and what they hold dear.

All we do is compare and contrast based on methodology, approach and experiences.

Veering away to universal truth and what makes a god universally true would entail me delving into relationships and as I already said earlier, I am not interested in relationships or good and evil on this thread.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by Emmanystone: 10:14am On Mar 20, 2018
budaatum:

So, I, who has done the work writing it in the first place, should now go back and dig it up for you?

To be honest, I wouldn't mind, normally, but just not for you considering how you are quick to affect my tiny sensitivities, and how you react to similar opinions.

Just pick through any thread with atheism in the title and you'd see the same sentiments expressed, or, wait till someone more deserving of my time turns up and read my responses then. I will bear you in mind, I promise.
The question is, so that what will happen nah? What is the import of that?
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 10:15am On Mar 20, 2018
So there is no atheist who can break away from his close-minded nature and talk about the God concept without separations?

No be small thing o. cheesy
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by greygoblings(m): 10:22am On Mar 20, 2018
God exists (but not in a religious sense), if not there cannot be the kind of order we have in this universe. Creation itself cannot be by chance, every time man tries to define existence, the more we see the workings of a divine being. I am an agnostic person by nature but I surely believe that there must be an un-explainable force behind existence and time itself and such force is so great that matters regarding humans are insignificant to the cosmos and universe that this force controls.

1 Like

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 10:28am On Mar 20, 2018
greygoblings:
God exists (but not in a religious sense), if not there cannot be the kind of order we have in this universe. Creation itself cannot be by chance, every time man tries to define existence, the more we see the workings of a divine being. I am an agnostic person by nature but I surely believe that there must be an un-explainable force behind existence and time itself and such force is so great that matters regarding humans are insignificant to the cosmos and universe that this force controls.

I so love this comment of yours.

How did your agnosticism still hold on to a God who is not seen in a religious sense?

You Believe there is an unexplainable force that is so great. How can it be unexplainable and yet you call it God and say it exists?

I need to learn.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by greygoblings(m): 10:31am On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

I so love this comment of yours.

How did your agnosticism still hold on to a God who is not seen in a religious sense?

You Believe there is an unexplainable force that is so great. How can it be unexplainable and yet you call it God and say it exists?

I need to learn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by greygoblings(m): 10:32am On Mar 20, 2018
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 10:35am On Mar 20, 2018
greygoblings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

I know what agnosticism is. I meant how did your comment of God exists come from a comment such as "a force so great".

1 Like

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by greygoblings(m): 10:43am On Mar 20, 2018
Well, the religious ideology of God is such that there is a being somewhere in the heavens that concerns himself with the affairs of Men. He sits on a throne.... I don't believe in this. This ideology is naive. Despite this, I thing the concept of God cannot be fully explained by man.

1 Like

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 10:51am On Mar 20, 2018
greygoblings:
Well, the religious ideology of God is such that there is a being somewhere in the heavens that concerns himself with the affairs of Men. He sits on a throne.... I don't believe in this. This ideology is naive. Despite this, I thing the concept of God cannot be fully explained by man.

Would you say that our attempts at explaining God is what brought about the various monotheistic concepts of God?

By the way, "Throne" there depicts a kingdom or authority and not a literal throne.

If God does not concern himself with the affairs of Men yet created the universe for the same man how then was that not concerning himself with man?

So to you can God be an inanimate force or a living force that could be termed "a being" based on your comment below

I need clarity.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by Gggg102(m): 10:52am On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

I am not talking about universal truth because that Is also based on individual adherents and what they hold dear.

All we do is compare and contrast based on methodology, approach and experiences.

Veering away to universal truth and what makes a god universally true would entail me delving into relationships and as I already said earlier, I am not interested in relationships or good and evil on this thread.

who talks about truth that isn't universal?

so you just assume that a god is true because people believe it.
butterflylion:

then this is polytheism not monotheim
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 10:57am On Mar 20, 2018
Gggg102:

then this is polytheism not monotheim

I keep telling you that you read but are yet to understand whatever I type.

I am not talking about a universal truth oga. I do not wish to be distracted and all that. This was why I said the below earlier. Please try and read to understand and stop trying to derail me.

Derivatives of the concepts of God have come in a threefold manner for all God concepts there is and they are experience, revelation, and reason.

As it stands, experiences of God in all concepts are astonishingly in various forms though have produced equally rated concepts of what is perceived as a divine being.

These experiences have come about by things that are external and universally there for all, things like a star filled sky, or through something as external and private like a rock or bush. These Experiences though are often internal and effable for example, vision, or can be said to also be internal and ineffable, as portrayed by those who practice mysticism.

Revelations of such nature are often linked to experiences of a God or gods or a type of it, this is all inclusive for those originally having it and the one simply embracing it as an authority.

So if I speak from the side of a specific God or god I simply voice my experience or opinion and not speaking ON BEHALF of the other who has his or her own opinion or experience which can comparatively be put alongside mine.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by greygoblings(m): 11:05am On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

Would you say that our attempts at explaining God is what brought about the various monotheistic concepts of God?

By the way, "Throne" there depicts a kingdom or authority and not a literal throne.

If God does not concern himself with the affairs of Men yet created the universe for the same man how then was that not concerning himself with man?

So to you can God be an inanimate force or a living force that could be termed "a being" based on your comment below

I need clarity.

I thought you said you understand agnosticism? You need to understand first that I am not an Atheist. I just don't believe in God the religious way. "Being is the general concept encompassing objective and subjective features of reality and existence. Anything that partakes in being is also called a "being", though often this usage is limited to entities that have subjectivity (as in the expression "human being"wink. The notion of "being" has, inevitably, been elusive and controversial in the history of philosophy, beginning in Western philosophy with attempts among the pre-Socratics to deploy it intelligibly."
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by greygoblings(m): 11:09am On Mar 20, 2018
TheSorrowfulMan:

The topic says "Let's discuss God"

Should I take it food section?

LolZZZZZZ
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 11:12am On Mar 20, 2018
greygoblings:

I thought you said you understand agnosticism? You need to understand first that I am not an Atheist. I just don't believe in God the religious way. "Being is the general concept encompassing objective and subjective features of reality and existence. Anything that partakes in being is also called a "being", though often this usage is limited to entities that have subjectivity (as in the expression "human being"wink. The notion of "being" has, inevitably, been elusive and controversial in the history of philosophy, beginning in Western philosophy with attempts among the pre-Socratics to deploy it intelligibly."

I know you are not an atheist. You are simply a skeptic. When you said God exists that was a give away.

In your quote you said and I quote

God exists (but not in a religious sense), if not there cannot be the kind of order we have in this universe. Creation itself cannot be by chance, every time man tries to define existence, the more we see the workings of a divine being

We are not talking about a partaker (at least you are not) you actually spoke about a doer or an enforcer of these works and you termed it "a divine being "

Why did you make that comment if your sense of "being" was yet abstract?
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 11:13am On Mar 20, 2018
TheSorrowfulMan:

The topic says "Let's discuss God"

Should I take it to food section?

Read the OP again. God and not Yahweh or Allah or any other name they are called. Your post was about THE CHRISTIAN GOD. Which shows you clearly have no idea what the OP is about.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by Gggg102(m): 11:21am On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

I keep telling you that you read but are yet to understand whatever I type.

I am not talking about a universal truth oga. I do not wish to be distracted and all that. This was why I said the below earlier. Please try and read to understand and stop trying to derail me.

for the sake of this discussion, I will speak as an atheist who has studied most of the 4999 god's. this isn't my personal opinion. but opinion I've seen.

the issue with the 4999 gods is the same with individual gods.
the monotheistic god in general, contradicts science and history, makes inaccurate claims, makes promises that prove his existence but this promises fail. majority of the signs and evidence that is used to prove his inexistence are false, the effects of his existence are not felt. most of his attributes are based on human ignorance. the fact that he cannot prove himself undeniably. the only time he does this is in the tales of his existence.

they are 1. scientifically inaccurate.
they can't be reconciled with science.
2. unable to be proven undeniably.
3. give false and extraordinary
promises to their followers that
fails.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ogboni / Will Great Tribulation Take Place Before The Rapture? / Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.