Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,504 members, 7,812,554 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? (9241 Views)

Lords Chosen Members Carrying Out Evangelism In Woolwich, UK (Photo, Video) / Madam Titi Surrenders To Jesus In The Lords Chosen, Testifies In Church (Video) / Lords Chosen Man: "I Fought A Demonic Cat And Killed It In Osun" (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Ken4Christ: 7:48pm On Sep 10, 2022
I witnessed a ceremony where one of my Pastor friend was ordained a Bishop. And the head of the school of Bishop was addressed as Lord.

I was shocked and till date, the tradition is still the same.

We have only one Lord who is Jesus.

Why address your fellow human in the house of God as Lord?

Even the Apostles in the Bible days were never addressed as Lord

What is your take?

7 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by edoairways: 9:02pm On Sep 10, 2022
Ken4Christ how does lawyer address a judge in court? Should he continue to address him that way or forget about it

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Ken4Christ: 12:04am On Sep 11, 2022
edoairways:
Ken4Christ how does lawyer address a judge in court? Should he continue to address him that way or forget about it

We can't change what happens in the secular world. But we can certainly insist that things are done right in the church.

Even our Lord Jesus said that leaders in the world loves titles and love to act like boss. He said it should not be so with us.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by SpaceAngel: 3:48am On Sep 11, 2022
It's better you check up simple definition of the word lord possibly from the dictionary.

It doesn't mean that bishop is God or anything like that.

26 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by edoairways: 9:48am On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:

We can't change what happens in the secular world. But we can certainly insist that things are done right in the church.

Even our Lord Jesus said that leaders in the world loves titles and love to act like boss. He said it should not be so with us.
Did Jesus 's disciples address him as Lord? Did Apostle Paul called Timothy a son?

7 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by slawomir: 10:00am On Sep 11, 2022
Damnnn niggar
Grab my weed to read and learn

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Jestin: 10:01am On Sep 11, 2022
It is just a title. Even some cultists after sch still address themselves as lords.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Buju6(m): 10:01am On Sep 11, 2022
let us first ask Lawyers why they call judge Lord..
meanwhile at a cheap price dm me for your logo and flyer design

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by olulove(m): 10:01am On Sep 11, 2022
A Lord is a man of noble rank or high office...

having said that, The Bible said he has been giving a name that's above every other names...Jesus Christ.

Jesus in this context is the Lord of all Lords.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Heterodox(m): 10:01am On Sep 11, 2022
As right as you address a judge.

But these things are inconsequential. This is why religion is nonsense. An adult waking up and making a case out of a senseless topic

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by bigdammyj: 10:02am On Sep 11, 2022
Reading...
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Tonypen247(m): 10:02am On Sep 11, 2022
Speakers' intention differs. Just the same way you witness the use of 'my lord' in a court of law to refer to the judge.
By common sense, one should know that the word 'lord' simply connotes a ruler within a jurisdiction. The same applies to the Bible about Jesus because within the belief system and jurisdiction of the Christians, he is seen as a lord(ruler) over them.
What then do you say about the phrase; "lord over" when referring to dictating for you?

kindly check my signature below

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by okeyumez(m): 10:02am On Sep 11, 2022
Too many criminals parading themselves as men of god
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Offpoint1: 10:04am On Sep 11, 2022
grin What's the meaning of "Lord"? cheesy

It seems religious make people 'both literate and illiterate' CONFIDENTLY daft.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Beosten(m): 10:04am On Sep 11, 2022

They preach humility but keep giving their selves some stupid titles.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by osigiepurr(m): 10:04am On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:
I witnessed a ceremony where one of my Pastor friend was ordained a Bishop. And the head of the school of Bishop was addressed as Lord.

What is your take?
Irrelevant issue.... Find something better to talk about pls

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by plrvipclub: 10:05am On Sep 11, 2022
Lord simply means one with Authority, power or influence. It doesn't make the Bishop or whoever with such reference God. That is why the Bible called Jesus "The LORD of lords."

6 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by SMGGroup: 10:06am On Sep 11, 2022
The man wey get that house and land wey you dey live, you dey call am landlord. But you go enter house of God dey feel say his servants no deserve the same title

7 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by manuelfolarin(m): 10:07am On Sep 11, 2022
You clearly don't know what the word 'lord' means

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Pepperoniq(m): 10:07am On Sep 11, 2022
Lord is just a title use in many ways... I don't know why people like making fuss about unnecessary thing... Is this one a topic. Mtchew! My Cousin Bro is answering Jesus Brook.. Tell me, His parents no suppose name him "Jesus' because it is a holy name in your Bible, abi?

5 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Counterfeit: 10:08am On Sep 11, 2022
Your lord is your leader , and every organisation organisation has the right to choose what to call their leaders.
Why do we address a king as My king? Why CEO, MD, General, Field Marshal, etc? It's just a mere word

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Counterfeit: 10:10am On Sep 11, 2022
Just a mere word indicating hierarchy and position.
Ken4Christ:

What is your take?

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by cedricksly: 10:12am On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:

What is your take?
Lord Simply means a high rank noble officer.... So forget wetin u dey talk.. Lord is nothing but a title

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by InvertedHammer: 10:14am On Sep 11, 2022
Ken4Christ:

What is your take?
/

Why do you address a looter governor as "His Excellency"? Lord is way better than calling a young man "Daddy" because he ordained himself overnight.

/

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by chatinent: 10:15am On Sep 11, 2022
Many people don't really know the difference between titles and names. Na so one person tell me God's name na God.
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by LienwaltAbel(m): 10:16am On Sep 11, 2022
This one wants to twist the meaning of an English word. Remember that, the English aren't even the ones who established modern day Christianity, it's the Romans that did so.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Draslo(m): 10:17am On Sep 11, 2022
English no go kill person.

The use of word Lord in the bible no go kill person. You can call Sango, Zeus, Thor or any thunder and lightening entities to strike somebody. They are gods.

If you decide not to call these entities gods, that's your own problem. English go just dey dey laugh you
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by nawa4naija(m): 10:17am On Sep 11, 2022
Yes it is
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Truefaith: 10:18am On Sep 11, 2022
Christ warned against loving the praise of men, John 12:43

Joh 5:44  How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that comes from God only?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHMzgNU-unyJbOvJWYYqjwg
Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by Maynmann: 10:19am On Sep 11, 2022
You better cheesy

Re: Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords? by LienwaltAbel(m): 10:19am On Sep 11, 2022
chatinent:
Many people don't really know the difference between titles and names. Na so one person tell me God's name na God.
He doesn't know that the word "god" has Germanic roots. People who were polytheists before the Advent of Christianity.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ogboni / Does The Holy Spirit Have A Name? / Will Great Tribulation Take Place Before The Rapture?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.