Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,392 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo (42819 Views)

Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo / Grass Is Not Greener On The Other Side By Abdulrazaq Hamzat / Flood Ravages Imo, Orsu Obodo, Oguta. 60 Homes Submerged (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Partnerbiz3: 10:48pm On Mar 20, 2018
timesup234:
They cant return home. Once you take that trip you are finished. America is depression. What we have going on in Nigeria is childs play compare to what they experience there. Only a fool will continue deceiving himself when all the info is out there. Most Americans cant even raise $400 in an emergency and almost 70% of americans are one paycheck away from living on the street. Even college graduates live at home with their parents till 35. Most of these things i am typing might sound like a joke until you calm down and do a proper research yourself. It is a trillion times easier to make it in Nigeria than America

They way you go about against any good thing in the US is crass.

The zeal with which you go about it is unmistakable.

Are you paid or what?

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Eke40seven(m): 10:51pm On Mar 20, 2018
shaybebaby:

They were good like that.
My first year, all freshies were given Samsung galaxy tabs with the core text books (e versions) loaded on it.

If you are after a book and its not in the library, you can ask the librarians to order it in.
Wow!! You guys must be paying loads of cash. My school do have versions of these 24 hours "library" more in the computer room section but no eating and drinking. Main libraries are never 24 hours but with a virtual library, one can have access to millions of books and online journals through the various affiliates/memberships.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Nobody: 10:52pm On Mar 20, 2018
shaybebaby:

I imagine it's standard for this country. Ofcourse if you reside in naij, then I totally understand.

I'm in Fargo. Where do you stay that allows students sleep in library.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by tosyne2much(m): 10:53pm On Mar 20, 2018
dancok:
no mind them, my sisters friend went there barely 6 month she got her self a car and a comfortable place to stay with her four children, they will be telling us is not easy just to scare us from coming, well God dey.
What I see here is that, though, life might not be easy there as claimed by those living there but I think the whole thing is exaggerated

To make money is not easy anywhere but Nigeria is worse. A country where people plot evil against one another just to meet their needs
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by timesup234: 10:55pm On Mar 20, 2018
Partnerbiz3:

Are you paid or what?
Yes i am paid. Now prove to the world that everything i said there is a lie? People with college degrees are suffering in america. America is worse than we even portray it to be.

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by shaybebaby(f): 10:57pm On Mar 20, 2018
Arondizuogu:

I'm in Fargo. Where do you stay that allows students sleep in library.
UK. But at 9 grand a year, there is really no excuse for otherwise.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by tosyne2much(m): 10:58pm On Mar 20, 2018
Partnerbiz3:

Are you paid or what?
Can't stop laughing cheesy cheesy
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Damzy007: 11:00pm On Mar 20, 2018
timesup234:
Yes i am paid. Now prove to the world that everything i said there is a lie? People with college degrees are suffering in america. America is worse than we even portray it to be.
Bros you don get problem. Going through your profile shows the level of your hatred against the u.s maybe you've once been deported or your interviews were been denied.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by timesup234: 11:07pm On Mar 20, 2018
Damzy007:

Bros you don get problem.
The simple truth is that most educated nigerians are some of the dumbest people anywhere in the world. They lack the capacity to do a simple research and are completely brainwashed. Now listen and listen very good- going to college or university does not guarantee anything in america if anything at all it sets your life backward another 10yrs. Now start with this link before i really open your blind eyes. Most Americans getting close to 40yrs are still living with their parents and i am talking about college and masters degree holders. I am sending a warning shot first before the bomb

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/finance/news/today-s-college-graduates-might-not-retire-till-age-75-131755426.html

4 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by maestro2000(m): 11:08pm On Mar 20, 2018
Partnerbiz3:

Are you paid or what?

he is actually saying the truth but I guess it's bitter. I have stopped explaining to folks how things are here. I told to come visit and see things.

3 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by revontuli(f): 11:13pm On Mar 20, 2018
shaybebaby:

What we looking at roughly for 4nights?

There's a 4 night one, where you stay in the wilderness cabin and ride the husky sleighs. Guaranteed northern lights view!

2 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Nobody: 11:28pm On Mar 20, 2018
shaybebaby:

UK. But at 9 grand a year, there is really no excuse for otherwise.

UK isn't USA naa.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Damzy007: 11:30pm On Mar 20, 2018
timesup234:
The simple truth is that most educated nigerians are some of the dumbest people anywhere in the world. They lack the capacity to do a simple research and are completely brainwashed. Now listen and listen very good- going to college or university does not guarantee anything in america if anything at all it sets your life backward another 10yrs. Now start with this link before i really open your blind eyes. Most Americans getting close to 40yrs are still living with their parents and i am talking about college and masters degree holders. I am sending a warning shot first before the bomb
Bros take it easy, firstly there's no country without its own problem, you proving your claims with this?? when there are so many skilled workers that retires at 50. note that whenever I say migrating abroad I don't mean doing white collar jobs whereas u.s is not the only country i can migrate to.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by correctguy101(m): 11:32pm On Mar 20, 2018
Follygunners:
The problem with African pple is that we're too shallow and mediocre in our thinking. Most 9ja pple residing abroad (Western world / developed nations) come back home to live a premium lifestyle they can hardly afford.

You see them devour a 12-mth saving within a matter of a 2-week vacation in 9ja. Just imagine! They live beyond their means in other to
live/measure-up to the "just-arrived" hype. No be by force. grin They come to 9ja and can no longer take danfo or BRT as a means of transport... like the innocent 9ja folks using it are 2nd-class citizens. They can no longer go to bed without 24/7 A/C.

They come back home to 9ja and can't go back to that wretched 'face-me-I-face-you' abode they once lived in (where their parents and families still live). They move around with an entourage... a personal driver, 'vampire' friends/relatives et al... they can't deal with the shame of seeing their fellow friends that never left 9ja doing great... so they feel the need to at least match-up.

They give the folks back home in 9ja a delusional impression of an imaginary luxury life they live abroad... who now in turn, expect so much from them. Of course, they got to live up to the hype.

Above all.... majority of the culprits are those doing menial/odd jobs living on meager incomes. They're usually like that.. the poorer they are, the dumber they behave. It's called "Poverty Mentality" !

After all is said and done, they go back with huge debt and bills awaiting them... ( I trust 'dem dem' for there) grin grin

And Nollywood too isn't helping matters.... cool

3 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by sonnie10: 11:37pm On Mar 20, 2018
UncleJudax:

There are Many Others still doing the 2x2 or even worse.. Una Like miracle eh
We can't generalize.

But what this person did was to invest the little he was making wisely. No miracles. He bought quite a few cheap lands then and held over time while still doing his business.

Then, he sold some and used the money to build houses on some. It wasn't a get rich quick thing, but he could be considered as doing really well now.

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Follygunners: 11:38pm On Mar 20, 2018
correctguy101:

And Nollywood too isn't helping matters.... cool

Very true and correct! They fake reality way too much in that industry.

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by wonlasewonimi: 11:41pm On Mar 20, 2018
timesup234:

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/finance/news/today-s-college-graduates-might-not-retire-till-age-75-131755426.html

My good friend... you don show to tell your useless stories about oyinbo country.

3 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by timesup234: 11:46pm On Mar 20, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

My good friend... you don show to tell your useless stories about oyinbo country.
I defeated you the last time and this is another chance to finally bury you. You can all tell lies to 200million blind Nigerians but not me. Nigerians living in America always run for cover when they come across my name

4 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Elxandre(m): 11:54pm On Mar 20, 2018
shaybebaby:

Maybe but since there is competition, there is nothing stopping you from moving to another provider at the end of your contract.

You can't really compare because it's all about the purchasing power of each currency. A rich man in Nigeria pays little or no tax, the nigerian people see tax as robbery so in their own way, are complicit in the overall decay of the country.

Tax is part of the contract, everybody pays in so that utilities which can be enjoyed by all are provided.
Education is free here (excluding uni), health care is free, drugs for children up to the age of 16 is free, housing is subsidised for those on lower income etc.. All of this comes out of tax receipts.

It may be high, but that is the price to pay to live in a society that works for everyone and not only the elite. Why would I want to be rich but surrounded by people wallowing in poverty? undecided

Hi.
Which country do you speak of exactly?
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by gaby(m): 12:02am On Mar 21, 2018
dancok:
no mind them, my sisters friend went there barely 6 month she got her self a car and a comfortable place to stay with her four children, they will be telling us is not easy just to scare us from coming, well God dey.
If you reach abroad,,oyibo dey park car leave key for the mouth you fit just enter drive am go port ship am come naija..na the gist wey most of us take land for desert be that...

4 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by maestro2000(m): 12:23am On Mar 21, 2018
shaybebaby:

Maybe but since there is competition, there is nothing stopping you from moving to another provider at the end of your contract.

You can't really compare because it's all about the purchasing power of each currency. A rich man in Nigeria pays little or no tax, the nigerian people see tax as robbery so in their own way, are complicit in the overall decay of the country.

Tax is part of the contract, everybody pays in so that utilities which can be enjoyed by all are provided.
Education is free here (excluding uni), health care is free, drugs for children up to the age of 16 is free, housing is subsidised for those on lower income etc.. All of this comes out of tax receipts.

It may be high, but that is the price to pay to live in a society that works for everyone and not only the elite. Why would I want to be rich but surrounded by people wallowing in poverty? undecided

This is Canada right? cos there is no free health care system in USA
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by gentleiphy: 12:29am On Mar 21, 2018
I have read all what has been discussed here..there are some elements of truth in what those saying America or other western world is not what most peeps in Nigeria think of it ..they are very correct that life is not easy,they are very correct about some people being out of job even after graduating,they are right in saying most things owned are on via credit card and stuffs like that and they are also right that there are homeless people all over the western world..i totally agree,but if i may ask is there any country that is 100% good?..i doubt it but there are numerous countries that are better than Nigeria..and what i wont also agree to is that it is better to remain in Nigeria if you have a legal immigrant opportunity to live in any western world.

Difference is,you are given the enabling environment to succeed in anything you work hard and is determined to do without political,tribal and religious attachments we have in Nigeria.In western world like America,your kids have future and know where they are heading to,if you get serious and take a deep breath you will rediscover your new potential and dive towards it and make a decent living,yes agreed that some drive cabs in the US for 30yrs but thats what they chose to do and are lazy to try something better,he has been driving cab for 30yrs and some that came from Nigeria 5yrs ago decided to enroll in RN courses took sleepless nights to study and graduate and are making good money..some came from same Nigeria and went into trade skills education and came out took some time and established their own workshops and make money..some came and looked at the market structure of the city and labor demand and decided to take the pains to switch to a different thing...statistics have it that Nigerians are the most educated and most industrious of all immigrants in the US..and they are all doing well.Okonjo iwuala is yet to return fully back to Nigeria and she schooled in the US started her career in the US and got to where she is now cos of the US..she didn't achieve that in Nigeria.Our Nigerian politicians kids all came to school in the US and so many remained to work in the US..they aint driving any cab or work in walmart...Regina Askia with all her miss Nigeria and nollywood celebrity got to US and went back to school to study Nursing and today she works as an RN..she ain't working in Macdonalds.

ladys and gents here,you need to explore in other to discover to recover your potentials...i wont advise you to enter any country as an illegal or undocumented cos it would be so hard for you that you will wish you are back home in Nigeria..but if you have a legal means to enter the US please take the chance...Nigeria is not even supposed to be on the list of countries in the map.You may never be a Dangote in the US but you will sure have a better life than those in Nigeria..building houses and buying cars in Nigeria is what we see as a measure of success which is why Nigeria is what it is today..values have gone and mediocrity replaced it.It is better to be in US ,aim high and miss rather than be in Nigeria aim low and hit.

life is not all rosy any where but its more gloomy in Nigeria that anywhere else.By the way i live in Canada legally and visit the US often.We enjoy somethings the US don't enjoy but the US dont have to live in giant freezer like us.

12 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by shellworker: 12:55am On Mar 21, 2018
Arondizuogu:

What about bad credit... I personally hate that credit card. I don't have it.. it's an institution that is against poor people. Many people here have no savings but are thousands of dollars in credit card debt.

You always need to cut your coat according to your size and think ahead of time. If you must buy something on credit, buy the one you can comfortably pay off based on your income. Many people here have bought so many things on credit with their card and comfortably paid off without issues and it improved their credit history. And credit card is not designed to deal with low income earners but rather to help them; it's not compulsory that everyone must have it. Both low and high income earners are allowed to have it if they choose.

Also, you should avoid buying every single thing you need on credit say as not to accumulate debt for yourself. Avoid artificial life style.

Not all Nigerians in the US are employees, some are self employed and have all the time in the world. America is full of opportunities, think of what betters your life more.

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by gentleiphy: 1:03am On Mar 21, 2018
shellworker:

You always need to cut your coat according to your size and think ahead of time. If you must buy something on credit, buy the one you can comfortably pay off based on your income. Many people here have bought so many things on credit with their card and comfortably paid off without issues and it improved their credit history. And credit card is not designed to deal with low income earners but rather to help them; it's not compulsory that everyone must have it. Both low and high income earners are allowed to have it if they choose.

Also, you should avoid buying every single thing you need on credit say as not to accumulate debt for yourself. Avoid artificial life style.

Not all Nigerians in the US are employees, some are self employed and have all the time in the world. America is full of opportunities, think of what betters your life more.

God bless you for that word...full of opportunities.Very apt
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by revontuli(f): 1:08am On Mar 21, 2018
timesup234:
I defeated you the last time and this is another chance to finally bury you. You can all tell lies to 200million blind Nigerians but not me. Nigerians living in America always run for cover when they come across my name

You could post the news stories like this: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/jun/21/homeless-students-nowhere-sleep-london-emergency-accommodation

Show all the news, videos. It's not like we are living in the dark ages with no communications. All the evidence is out there.

3 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by LaudableXX: 1:16am On Mar 21, 2018
nextstep:
The simple truth is this: yes, Nigeria is tough - hellish some would say - but there are many people here living very good lives here, actually LIVING. When I see people come home from Western countries, it's like they are not alive. They may be comfortable, but they are in the same cycle of work, tax, debt, work, tax, debt with little chance to really LIVE. They may come and do shakara during Christmas, but at the end of the day, it's money they will spend the next 1 year paying off, with interest.

There are some who manage to break the cycle, perhaps investing back home or building a house, but from my understanding it's quite a soul-less and isolating existence.

Those who go abroad usually have gathered nearly 2million Naira for ticket, visa, living expenses. Just to go and drive taxi or be a nurse? That same 2million has launched many people out of poverty in this "sh1thole". Material wealth and comfort does not mean you're LIVING... I would like to be able to visit there frequently like some people I know, but not really reside.

I just wish we would see the incredible opportunities that foreigners are coming to find here...

Very well said, sir! cool

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by gentleiphy: 1:18am On Mar 21, 2018
LaudableXX:

Very well said, sir! cool

And being a nurse is a menial job?..common..lol
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Elxandre(m): 2:06am On Mar 21, 2018
revontuli:

You could post the news stories like this: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/jun/21/homeless-students-nowhere-sleep-london-emergency-accommodation

Show all the news, videos. It's not like we are living in the dark ages with no communications. All the evidence is out there.
If the west is so shiiit, why do you still leave there?
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by revontuli(f): 2:11am On Mar 21, 2018
Elxandre:

If the west is so shiiit, why do you still leave there?

I went to the far north cause it's less shite.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Mrjoshtower: 3:06am On Mar 21, 2018
gentleiphy:
I have read all what has been discussed here..there are some elements of truth in what those saying America or other western world is not what most peeps in Nigeria think of it ..they are very correct that life is not easy,they are very correct about some people being out of job even after graduating,they are right in saying most things owned are on via credit card and stuffs like that and they are also right that there are homeless people all over the western world..i totally agree,but if i may ask is there any country that is 100% good?..i doubt it but there are numerous countries that are better than Nigeria..and what i wont also agree to is that it is better to remain in Nigeria if you have a legal immigrant opportunity to live in any western world.

Difference is,you are given the enabling environment to succeed in anything you work hard and is determined to do without political,tribal and religious attachments we have in Nigeria.In western world like America,your kids have future and know where they are heading to,if you get serious and take a deep breath you will rediscover your new potential and dive towards it and make a decent living,yes agreed that some drive cabs in the US for 30yrs but thats what they chose to do and are lazy to try something better,he has been driving cab for 30yrs and some that came from Nigeria 5yrs ago decided to enroll in RN courses took sleepless nights to study and graduate and are making good money..some came from same Nigeria and went into trade skills education and came out took some time and established their own workshops and make money..some came and looked at the market structure of the city and labor demand and decided to take the pains to switch to a different thing...statistics have it that Nigerians are the most educated and most industrious of all immigrants in the US..and they are all doing well.Okonjo iwuala is yet to return fully back to Nigeria and she schooled in the US started her career in the US and got to where she is now cos of the US..she didn't achieve that in Nigeria.Our Nigerian politicians kids all came to school in the US and so many remained to work in the US..they aint driving any cab or work in walmart...Regina Askia with all her miss Nigeria and nollywood celebrity got to US and went back to school to study Nursing and today she works as an RN..she ain't working in Macdonalds.

ladys and gents here,you need to explore in other to discover to recover your potentials...i wont advise you to enter any country as an illegal or undocumented cos it would be so hard for you that you will wish you are back home in Nigeria..but if you have a legal means to enter the US please take the chance...Nigeria is not even supposed to be on the list of countries in the map.You may never be a Dangote in the US but you will sure have a better life than those in Nigeria..building houses and buying cars in Nigeria is what we see as a measure of success which is why Nigeria is what it is today..values have gone and mediocrity replaced it.It is better to be in US ,aim high and miss rather than be in Nigeria aim low and hit.

life is not all rosy any where but its more gloomy in Nigeria that anywhere else.By the way i live in Canada legally and visit the US often.We enjoy somethings the US don't enjoy but the US dont have to live in giant freezer like us.

God bless you
Nah only you and one other guy made sense to us.
I pray to join u guys too soon

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Pomlord(m): 5:05am On Mar 21, 2018
Leave the mumu guy. If one has never stepped out of naija to anywhere in the West, and he can rant so much on how ppl who stay in the West suffer and wallow in debt, then I say hes deluding himself.... . We know how it is, and we prefer it a hundred times to what's obtainable in naija
tosyne2much:
I just dey laugh when I dey read this your comment sha cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Heavy Rain Causes Terrible Accident In Ebonyi,many Dead,others Injured(graphic) / Lagos-ibadan Railway; An Eye Witness Account / Shiroro Hydro Power Plant, Niger State In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.