Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,664 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? (20830 Views)

Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? / The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events / Masturbation Is A Sin, No Matter Your View About It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Prettyyemi(f): 3:18pm On Apr 01, 2018
It's not really bad..
But we don't do it in my own baptist church...
But I know redeem churches do it..
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Chikelue2000(m): 3:20pm On Apr 01, 2018
Mollyallex:

yes,
How was it at your end?
nice n power packed, we had a special guest... where's your location
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by CuteMadridista: 3:23pm On Apr 01, 2018
Cletus77:
Why don't you ask me too?
ask you what?
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Cletus77(m): 3:26pm On Apr 01, 2018
CuteMadridista:

ask you what?
What I bwlive
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by CuteMadridista: 3:26pm On Apr 01, 2018
Cletus77:
What I bwlive
I'm all ears sir
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by CuteMadridista: 3:27pm On Apr 01, 2018
Cletus77:
What I bwlive
I'm all ears sir
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Cletus77(m): 3:44pm On Apr 01, 2018
CuteMadridista:
I'm all ears sir
Am a Christian. I believe in the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, the saviour of mankind.
Being an atheist is a personal decision and I won't judge you.
The same way being a Christian is. But the problem is how you guys attack Christians on threads relating to them. If you don't bliv it den let those who do live their lives
Thanks
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by kokomilala(m): 3:54pm On Apr 01, 2018
@Goodboi, don't be disingenuous with the Word of God. Whether it be coarse or comedy lite, it's not acceptable to God concerning His house. Do you recall what God did to Belshezzar in Daniel 5? God doesn't have time for stupid comedies, even if He has a sense of humour.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by tosyne2much(m): 3:55pm On Apr 01, 2018
I don't support it
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by CuteMadridista: 3:57pm On Apr 01, 2018
Cletus77:

Am a Christian. I believe in the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, the saviour of mankind.
Being an atheist is a personal decision and I won't judge you.
The same way being a Christian is. But the problem is how you guys attack Christians on threads relating to them. If you don't bliv it den let those who do live their lives
Thanks

Truth is if you go through my posts with a clear open unbiased mind you'll realise I don't "attack Christians" but I've been called all sorts of names today and attacked by Christians

What I do is to ridicule religion and god ideas but there's a difference between ridiculing a belief and ridiculing a believer. I do the former while people confuse it for the latter. You won't see me call people idiots, fools and other unprintable names.

Check through my posts today alone and see where I attacked a Christian then search for my monicker on Nairaland search bar and see those who's insulted me only today to prove it for yourself

I'll admit there are atheists that do attack Christians but these are few and far between and most do that as a reaction to an insult
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by akoaki(m): 4:05pm On Apr 01, 2018
It is not just comedy in the church. Today, the word church means comedy.
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by fikayor2(m): 4:45pm On Apr 01, 2018
Ayor93:

If the people are holy, they won't do whatever 'they like', even in a hotel,school,work place etc, not necessarily in the church building
You're right, but your response is another topic even though it's a subtopic to this topic. Anyways, have a lovely holiday.
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by TimmyBrass(m): 5:05pm On Apr 01, 2018
thesicilian:
Afterall the Bible says that God laughs.

Where in the Bible please??
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Mollyallex(f): 5:19pm On Apr 01, 2018
Chikelue2000:
nice n power packed, we had a special guest... where's your location

One of the regions in Anambra state. You?
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by toprealman: 5:38pm On Apr 01, 2018
fatymore:
Thats how they start... Why did you mention Islam in it.... That aside.. We Muslims doesn't joke with our religion and we believe everything we do is would be accounted for on judgement day...
As a Muslim if you can follow these conditions you are free to make your jokes..
It should not involve any element of making fun of Islam.
The jokes should only be truthful.
Not scaring people .
Mocking people by winking behind their backs or making snide remarks .
The jokes should not be excessive.
It should not involve backbiting.
Choosing appropriate times for joking.

Every aspect of our life is being regulated by Islam..... And it is not a joke...
Fatima, you type will do the obvious with men old enough to be your great grand dad....all in the name of.....
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Greenishland(f): 5:44pm On Apr 01, 2018
Ephesians 5:3,4
Ephesians: 5. 3. But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; 4. Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

That is the Bible's position on comedy. Period!
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by uzuede4(f): 5:55pm On Apr 01, 2018
It is unfortunate that the Scriptures is being joked with today. So many christendom churches are for monetary purposes. This is in fulfillment of Christ's own words in Matthew 7:21-23, where he will remind the churches that they are workers of lawlessness.

It is an act of lawlessness to mix comedy with religion. The message from the Bible is called good news because, it is enough to make you happy. If the churches are employing comedians to come make their congregation happy, that puts a question mark on the message they preach.
If you are really teaching the good news from the scriptures, then you have no need for comedy. The fact that comedians are used to make the sheep happy shows that christendom has losed it all. They are not teaching anything. Having robbed their sheep of happiness, they employ comedians to make them happy. If you read and study God's word The Bible, happy you are.(Psalms 1:1-3).
Besides, the Bible condemns obscene jesting (Ephesians 5:3,4). Then why is it practiced in the church? This is an eye opener for all who want to serve God. Like Jesus said, by their fruits you shall know them (Matthew7:15-20).
Just like the scriptures said, Happy is he who reads aloud, hears, and observes the words of these prophecy (Revelation1:3). All we need to make us happy is in the Bible, for God the author of the Bible is a happy God (1Timothy1:11).
Unfortunately, many no longer read the Bible, thus they are sad. Make it a habit to read the Bible daily, you'll be happy and successful (Joshua 1:cool.
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by thesicilian: 5:57pm On Apr 01, 2018
TimmyBrass:

Where in the Bible please??

1. Psalm 37: 12 - 13

The wicked plotteth against the just, and gnasheth upon him with his teeth.
The LORD shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.

2. Psalm 2:1-12

Why do the nations rage and the peoples plot in vain? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord and against his Anointed, saying, “Let us burst their bonds apart and cast away their cords from us.” He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord holds them in derision. Then he will speak to them in his wrath, and terrify them in his fury, saying, ...

3. Proverbs 1:26-28

I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when terror strikes you, when terror strikes you like a storm and your calamity comes like a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you. Then they will call upon me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently but will not find me.
But the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he sees that his day is coming.
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Apr 01, 2018
Not necessary or needed in the Church.
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by eelipumper(m): 6:08pm On Apr 01, 2018
budiliscious:
A lot have been said about comedy in the church in the modern day Christianity. Recently, I stumbled on a Rev. Olusola Areogun's view about this controversial topic and it got me thinking deep. Here is what he has to say:

"You can't play with Quran and the Muslims leave you alone, why should we let it be done with the Bible? have you heard of a comedian going to Osun shrine before? Or have you heard of a comedian doing comedy in the mosque and begin to joke with verses of the Quran? WHY ARE WE DESECRATING THE ALTAR OF GOD? Where have we gotten these pastors that didn't understand the terms and the consecrations of the calling?"

These days,stand-up comedy, comedy drama and all sorts are everywhere in the church. I don't want to mention names because the intention of this thread is not to judge anyone but allow us to rethink and act right. My view is that we need to ask ourselves if the essence of the gospel is to pass a message to the world about the birth, death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus for the salvation and transformation of our soul or to entertain the world. Please let's get it right. What is your view?

#TechDisciples
Firstly, what is the "Church"?... The building or the Persons. Cant type much but the Church is supposed to help the individual Spiritual, mentally, socially and physical. By the way, if not the Church where else should they get entertained?" Worldly" platforms?? Common now.
The Church is meant to keep your life in balance. Joy in the Holy Spirit is not just having a goose bump feeling. Its being happpy in His presence. And comedy has been doing that since whenever.
Those against comedy are also against rock songs, trousers for ladies, n the likes.
The question mark shouldnt be on whether comedy should be allowed in church. It should be-"How can we Maintain moderation in church comedy?"
Same way some churches have refused to talk about sex, and other things...
#smh.
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Saxifrage12(m): 6:35pm On Apr 01, 2018
The Jesus I know was never a joker.
He even shunned a man laughing during one of his Ministrations.
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Stevo22: 7:08pm On Apr 01, 2018
Absolutely wrong. Charles spurgeon said 'A time is coming, when the shepherd will no longer feed the sheep but clowns will start entertaining the goat.' Its a pity that so many churches have allowed this unedifying,carnal amusement to creep in,all in the name of preaching the gospel and making the church more lively and packed,which they have forgotten that the Holy Spirit is the key to humans heart.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Mrbeee20: 7:12pm On Apr 01, 2018
I have never been a supporter of comedy on the altar of God. Christianity is not about laughter. IT IS WARFARE!
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by joff2(m): 7:38pm On Apr 01, 2018
It always pains me when people compare Christainity to other religions, someone even mentioned a shrine in Osun This alone debunks my participation in this thread
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Chikelue2000(m): 7:57pm On Apr 01, 2018
Mollyallex:

One of the regions in Anambra state. You?
Nasarawa state, but Anambra is my state, do u know Prof Ekpunobi?
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Evangelistofluv: 8:12pm On Apr 01, 2018
The Bible kicks against JESTING also know as COMEDY... So some Pastor have allowed what the Bible kicks against right ontop the PULPIT all to increase tithe and offering, sow seed, kick back money.... Since most Pastors are not called by God, they allow comedy to allow the people laugh in comfort of their sins..... In the Days of John Wesley, Kathrine Kulmah when congregations are praying out sweat in REPENTANCE who dare to JEST? there is no word like Holy comedy anywhere.... It cant convict the sinner in the church instead make him laugh off his sin without repentance....... No show me one genuine convert from comedy? And i will show u a real convert thru anointed prayer and preaching

1 Like

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by 3rill(m): 8:34pm On Apr 01, 2018
as far as am concerned God himself has a sense of humor !
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by cjfbn: 8:36pm On Apr 01, 2018
thesicilian:
There's nothing wrong with comedy in the church, as long as the content is Holy and the 'end game ' is to glorify God. Afterall the Bible says that God laughs.
Comedy in the church? This shows how empty the church is. To keep the congregation, they now bring comedians. Talk of serious Christians.
God laughs? Seriously? You now give God, the almighty father human attributes.
I am a Christian for your information.
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by fatymore(f): 8:39pm On Apr 01, 2018
toprealman:
Fatima, you type will do the obvious with men old enough to be your great grand dad....all in the name of.....
all in the name of kini oooo... Mind you I am a liberal person o
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by yembet(f): 8:55pm On Apr 01, 2018
Church comedy shows are good for the mind. But it should be held outside the church, arenas
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Coal07: 9:11pm On Apr 01, 2018
That is not christianity, it is not the life of Christ. christians should work in the steps of Christ.
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by GoodBoi1(m): 9:36pm On Apr 01, 2018
cjfbn:

Comedy in the church? This shows how empty the church is. To keep the congregation, they now bring comedians. Talk of serious Christians.
God laughs? Seriously? You now give God, the almighty father human attributes.
I am a Christian for your information.
You should know that man was created in the image of God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

OPM Builds 15th Free School In Rivers State / 500 Muslims Attend Christmas Church Service In Kaduna / Paying Tithe To Widows And Orphans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.