Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,062 members, 7,814,651 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

I Am Lonely In America - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / I Am Lonely In America (4858 Views)

Nigerian Men And Women Are Sexually Frustrated And Lonely In America And Canada / Many Ladies Are Lonely In Europe / I Am Lonely And I Need A Boyfriend – Nigerian Lady Took To Her Facebook Page (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Lonely In America by myself13: 8:29pm On Apr 15, 2018
ULSHERLAN:

Since you are not even in the USA, dont write the op off. Alot of people i know who travelled out to America didnt find it funny as regards having friends and all except you have an extended family over there who you relate with very well. Life there is obviously different from here likewise the people and their lifestyle. If you are the type that is the extrovert type over here may not find it easy at first over there as you will find it boring but this will improve with time.

OK
Re: I Am Lonely In America by Nobody: 9:17pm On Apr 15, 2018
join a reading club or sports group or mingle with ur colleagues in ur workplace or school.
Re: I Am Lonely In America by oyetpel(m): 10:07pm On Apr 15, 2018
What's your purpose there?
School? Vacation/Pleasure? Business? Permanent resident?
Re: I Am Lonely In America by EmmySparky(m): 10:14pm On Apr 15, 2018
mr op the friends u don get for 9ja no do u?...when guys dey find us visa to go hustle u dey find friends...baba start work...u would meet people....
Re: I Am Lonely In America by Temzygold(f): 10:16pm On Apr 15, 2018
Marry me..... U won't be lonely cheesy cheesy kiss
Re: I Am Lonely In America by revontuli(f): 11:24pm On Apr 15, 2018
Best way to bond with people to build close friendships is joining volunteer activities or getting a serious hobby with social aspect. I moved to different cities/states for work and made a social circle and good friends via book clubs, Star Trek and Harry Potter fan clubs, volunteer activities. Go do some charity work, that's a great way to meet new friends and good karma.

Go to meetup.com and search for hobby and activity groups in your city, it's a free site and there is a meetup for every hobby and interest, unless you live in a small city you should be able to find something.

5 Likes

Re: I Am Lonely In America by Nobody: 11:55pm On Apr 15, 2018
Better by PS4 and some games and start playing it. Oyinbo no get time for anybody. You can be living with an American and staying in the same apartment and the only thing you will hear from him in two years is "Hi" or "Can I have your part of the gas bill?" It's called culture shock bro. I live in a white dominated area so I know what you're talking about. Be friendly with those that are friendly with you. If you're a Christian join a church. No matter what you do, you will in the end come in terms with the fact that many of them are not that friendly (atleast in the Naija kind of way). They keep to themselves a lot.

4 Likes

Re: I Am Lonely In America by Lifeofpolice1(m): 11:59pm On Apr 15, 2018
12inches1:
Better by PS4 and some games and start playing it. Oyinbo no get time for anybody. You can be living with an American and staying in the same apartment and the only thing you will hear from him in two years is "Hi" or "Can I have your part of the gas bill?" It's called culture shock bro. I live in a white dominated area so I know what you're talking about. Be friendly with those that are friendly with you. If you're a Christian join a church. No matter what you do, you will in the end come in terms with the fact that many of them are not that friendly (atleast in the Naija kind of way). They keep to themselves a lot.
revontuli:
Best way to bond with people to build close friendships is joining volunteer activities or getting a serious hobby with social aspect. I moved to different cities/states for work and made a social circle and good friends via book clubs, Star Trek and Harry Potter fan clubs, volunteer activities. Go do some charity work, that's a great way to meet new friends and good karma.

Go to meetup.com and search for hobby and activity groups in your city, it's a free site and there is a meetup for every hobby and interest, unless you live in a small city you should be able to find something.
Temzygold:
Marry me..... U won't be lonely cheesy cheesy kiss
lefulefu:
join a reading club or sports group or mingle with ur colleagues in ur workplace or school.
ULSHERLAN:

Since you are not even in the USA, dont write the op off. Alot of people i know who travelled out to America didnt find it funny as regards having friends and all except you have an extended family over there who you relate with very well. Life there is obviously different from here likewise the people and their lifestyle. If you are the type that is the extrovert type over here may not find it easy at first over there as you will find it boring but this will improve with time.
the greatest joy in life is sleeping besides your girlfriend or wifey

Goodnight greeting from my bae
Re: I Am Lonely In America by boolet: 12:56am On Apr 16, 2018
I feel your pain op. You dey miss pepper soup and beer abi? No be small thing my guy... You know what, try and relocate to NY and NJ, or MD. Guy, I know say no be say u just come play, commot from your comfort zone, u go survive. No go dey depend on family or friends ooo.
Re: I Am Lonely In America by Nobody: 1:41am On Apr 16, 2018
2Banty,

My answer is this, you are going to have to be the most social you have ever been. Truthfully, Americans are more reserved and keep their inner circle small. So you are going to have to be very intentional. More than likely you will meet new people out in social events. Go to activities and hobbies that YOU like. If you dont have any hobbies, now is the time to find one. Interesting people gravitate towards other interesting people.

In every U.S. city the local newspaper has postings of events that are happening. Also at the grocer, there are usually postings and booklets advertising group events and hobbies.
Invite a couple of coworkers out to after work drinks or to eat. Other people said the gym which on my observations most of the time people are there for mostly socialization. If you have a dog, dog walking is another sure fire way to meet people. Americans love dogs.
Depending on what part of the country you are, southerners and Midwesterners are more outgoing than the East Coast.
Above all, be friendly. Most likely you will have to make the first move. Be yourself and you will be fine.
Hope this helps

1 Like

Re: I Am Lonely In America by Nobody: 2:46am On Apr 16, 2018
Wait..this is in the romance section. Are you trying to meet women or people in general?
Re: I Am Lonely In America by Nobody: 2:57am On Apr 16, 2018
myself13:
First off, USA is not a country "so dominated by whites" as you made it look like. Matter-of-factly, it's a home for all people of the world. If you find it difficult making friends over there, I just wonder what manner of man you are putting into consideration the high number of blacks we have over there.Identify with your people just like you do at home.Most whites come across to be snobbish and I assume you aren't expecting an embracing attitude from them. Attend social functions, get talking with people...you would make friends eventually..not forgetting that people don't warm up to strangers that easily. True and valuable friendship isn't made in a day. I believe your main purpose of travelling to US cant just be to make friends? Don't you have friends before? It doesn't make sense to me. There are other profitable ventures you can commit yourself into other than mere making of friends.

Fact is the U.S. is a melting pot of different ethnic and racial groups. But fact is the country is predominately white. And unless u are living in NY, LA or big cities that attract different groups, diversity is a very real reality. In my state white are 80% of the population. He can still make friends tho and I agree with your other statements.
Re: I Am Lonely In America by otipoju(m): 3:08am On Apr 16, 2018
2Banty:
Hey Nairalanders,

I have been in the US for some months now and I am in a white dominated state still figuring out the culture and way of life et al. I need help in making friends with these folks here because it’s a very different lifestyle from home.

Please for those who have experience and are living or have lived in the US, how do I make friends here? Thank you very much

That's the reality...in USA, people mind their business.
I don't know my neighbours names and I really don't care.

Go to church and wether white or black and start from there...if not people keep to themselves.

You can get in touch and I'll explain certain things to you.
Re: I Am Lonely In America by Momoh7(m): 3:16am On Apr 16, 2018
Front page material Make i pinch tent here
Re: I Am Lonely In America by crystalsaint(f): 5:55am On Apr 16, 2018
2Banty:
Hey Nairalanders,

I have been in the US for some months now and I am in a white dominated state still figuring out the culture and way of life et al. I need help in making friends with these folks here because it’s a very different lifestyle from home.

Please for those who have experience and are living or have lived in the US, how do I make friends here? Thank you very much
I am in US too...which state are you presently?
Re: I Am Lonely In America by phemmyfour: 6:02am On Apr 16, 2018
2Banty:
Hey Nairalanders,

In Sound Sultan voice: Ti ode ba ti le.....Pada wa le o
Re: I Am Lonely In America by myself13: 6:22am On Apr 16, 2018
hiawathia81:

Fact is the U.S. is a melting pot of different ethnic and racial groups. But fact is the country is predominately white. And unless u are living in NY, LA or big cities that attract different groups, diversity is a very real reality. In my state white are 80% of the population. He can still make friends tho and I agree with your other statements.

He didn't include his residential area so l was commenting based on the likely possibility that he may be residing within the major cities as most visitors would prefer.I also agree with the fact that the variety in ethnicity and race isn't evenly distributed. More areas boasts of a larger concentration of unmixed whites.Nice to know you agree with other points I stated.
Re: I Am Lonely In America by 2Banty: 6:43am On Apr 16, 2018
I really appreciate the diverse comments on this topic and I know it will help others who will be coming from Nigeria to the US in the future. For those that sent me DMs I can’t remember the email I used to open this account so you can ask your question here.
Re: I Am Lonely In America by Greenpage: 6:52am On Apr 16, 2018
2morogobeta1:
Are my breast attractive
Are you for real??
Re: I Am Lonely In America by lakeside30: 11:08am On Apr 16, 2018
Attend social,go to all this shopping centre,visit macdonald often,always initiate a talk,if u see any person u like look into her directly in the eyes and always b friendly,i bet u u will make friends like i did last time i visited
Re: I Am Lonely In America by santricedupas(m): 5:09pm On Apr 20, 2018
guy you dey funny, u no get Iphone for there, u no fit chat on tinder, meet me and mingle app. you no dey go mac donalds, fun fair, night movie, night concerts, and you no fit go one local bar and get a female hooker for the night, go to stadium to watch american football, base ball, basket ball, go to beach, play power ball lotto, attend church like jehovah witness.
guy abeg if you don't know how to use ur visa abeg send am to me, I dey ekiti :Pguy you dey funny, u no get Iphone for there, u no fit chat on tinder, meet me and mingle app. you no dey go mac donalds, fun fair, night movie, night concerts, and you no fit go one local bar and get a female hooker for the night, go to stadium to watch american football, base ball, basket ball, go to beach, play power ball lotto, attend church like jehovah witness.
guy abeg if you don't know how to use ur visa abeg send am to me, I dey ekiti

1 Like

Re: I Am Lonely In America by Burgerlomo: 6:56pm On Apr 20, 2018
HRHQueenPhil:
Come to nairaland. D best platform to kill boredom and depression

Re: I Am Lonely In America by DianaSanderson4: 11:22am On Oct 12, 2020
Hey. Listen, I have lived in America for a long time and I can say without exaggeration that this is a great country and that there are so many opportunities for self-realization. There is a huge number of jobs, there are very kind and friendly people and the only problem of the population is laziness and the desire to make money quickly and without effort, but no one understands that this is not possible anywhere. I made enough money there and returned to my home country due to certain problems in the states, but I still think that America is a great country. I've done a lot of research into the history of america from the books at https://election-2020.net/ and that's why I think so.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Observation: Most Guys Dat Keep Long Beards! / Best Time To Have S*X / Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.