Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,392 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:45 AM

Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" (20454 Views)

Pastor Poju Oyemade Deletes His Tweets After He was Attacked On Twitter / Coronavirus: Pastor Poju Oyemade's 2019 Prophecy Of An Unstoppable Plague / Pastor Poju Oyemade Reacts To Biodun Fatoyinbo's Rape Allegation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by Nobody: 9:01am On Apr 22, 2018
mumu people!

is Christianity our culture?

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by hopefulLandlord: 9:02am On Apr 22, 2018
paxonel:
OK!
Christianity did not bring the unity, atleast it helps to some extent sustain the unity, that's what I'm saying.

Whatever way Christianity is helping to foster unity can still be done without it but I see sense in what you're saying

1 Like

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by Nobody: 9:03am On Apr 22, 2018
What the elders see sitting the youth cant see from a tree------ dumbest shit ever. Our culture is the main reason we are under developed

1 Like

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by plaetton: 9:03am On Apr 22, 2018
I wonder what is destroying Christianity in Europe.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by hopefulLandlord: 9:03am On Apr 22, 2018
Gggg102:

I'd like to add, religion brings people together the way football does.

for example, you are a football fan all that matters between you and other fans is your love for football.
the other football fan may be Ghanaian or American, but all of you are united with your passion for football.

after being a football fan, you are a Madrid fan. the other football fan could be a Barça fan. both of you are on opposite ends and obviously disagree but both of you are still united by love of football.

as a Madrid fan, you could meet other Madrid fans that differ from you in culture and political views. you could be Yoruba while the other fan is Igbo. you could be apc while the other fan is pdp. the only thing both of you have in common is love for real Madrid. real Madrid becomes a uniting factor for you. your other differences won't matter when it comes to real Madrid.

you could meet another real Madrid fan who does not like real Madrid's managing system while you do. both of you disagree on how Madrid should be run. both of you are different but you are still united under the love of real Madrid.

This is a false equivalence of how sectarianism works

As a Madrid fan there's no doctrine that says mine is right and others are wrong, Real Madrid don't have a doctrine that says I shouldn't do business with rival clubs (FC Barcelona and Atletico Madrid) , marry from there (Pique married Shakira, a Madrid fan), have friends from there or even attend and watch their games but sectarianism in Christianity encourages his members not to do this with other sects and brand other sects evil and doomed telling their members they're going to hell unless they join their own sect. This is responsible for a redeem HR of a company hiring a redeemer while passing over a Jehovah's witness who's actually more qualified for the job and vice versa

So yeah, there's a difference between both and its huge

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by iamtardey: 9:06am On Apr 22, 2018
hangover of 4:20 still worrying this man
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by AreaFada2: 9:08am On Apr 22, 2018
Africans with inferiority complex. Japanese & Chinese have less than 1% Christian population. They didn't have to give up their culture to make bullet trains and the electronics you all enjoy. They allowed it to evolve.

Is is African culture that make many pastors Bleep both married and unmarried church members? In our culture we have taboos against many atrocities now going on everywhere.

Make the man park well. He should just quietly enjoy his sheeples' money.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by millomaniac: 9:09am On Apr 22, 2018
It is christianity that is destroying culture !!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by safarigirl(f): 9:09am On Apr 22, 2018
Gggg102:

I'd like to add, religion brings people together the way football does.

for example, you are a football fan all that matters between you and other fans is your love for football.
the other football fan may be Ghanaian or American, but all of you are united with your passion for football.

after being a football fan, you are a Madrid fan. the other football fan could be a Barça fan. both of you are on opposite ends and obviously disagree but both of you are still united by love of football.

as a Madrid fan, you could meet other Madrid fans that differ from you in culture and political views. you could be Yoruba while the other fan is Igbo. you could be apc while the other fan is pdp. the only thing both of you have in common is love for real Madrid. real Madrid becomes a uniting factor for you. your other differences won't matter when it comes to real Madrid.

you could meet another real Madrid fan who does not like real Madrid's managing system while you do. both of you disagree on how Madrid should be run. both of you are different but you are still united under the love of real Madrid.
lol

Love of football has united more people ans created a stronger bond than Christianity grin...is that what your post infers?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by AreaFada2: 9:13am On Apr 22, 2018
plaetton:
I wonder what is destroying Christianity in Europe.

No mind the man. In my church (original oyinbo church o) over 80% are black. If not for Africans and Caribbeans, the church would have turned into just another beer parlour or restaurant like many already have.

Europeans just realised that your destiny is in your own hands. Not praying 24 hours, yet do not work towards development.

Africans are just trapped in the hypocritical religious trance.

Believe whatever you like as your faith by all means. But do not force it on others or claim you know best, even more than all your ancestors since millennia.

16 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by quincee88(f): 9:16am On Apr 22, 2018
paxonel:
African cultures is what has infected christianity negatively.
The only effect of christianity on African culture which i don't see it as a negative effect is how christians are now conditioned to prefer white man dressing of suit and tie over the local agbada and buba and wrapper, ankara, kaftan, or the Igbo traditional attire.
I think it is largely due to colonization not just only christianity.

I must say, christianity has played a better role in uniting the nigerian tribes and cultures but the wrong values and beliefs of African cultures(not the good ones) have not complicated the good values and morals found in the bible. That is the biggest problem of Africa today
YOU ARE INDEED A CONFUSED ANIMAL

8 Likes

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by AreaFada2: 9:16am On Apr 22, 2018
Africans with inferiority complex. Japanese & Chinese have less than 1% Christian population. They didn't have to give up their culture to make bullet trains and the electronics you all enjoy. They allowed it to evolve.

Is is African culture that make many pastors Bleep both married and unmarried church members? In our culture we have taboos against many atrocities now going on everywhere. He should explain how African culture instructed the Reverend Professor to use sex for marks. grin cheesy cheesy

Make the man park well. He should just quietly enjoy his sheeples' money.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by Boyooosa(m): 9:17am On Apr 22, 2018
I thank God for opening this post. God will bless this man as his message has blessed me this morning.
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by africanusvu(m): 9:24am On Apr 22, 2018
The caption should av been.'How Christianity is destroying CULTURE IN AFRICA

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by wittyt98(m): 9:29am On Apr 22, 2018
HigherEd:

What do you know about African shrines and paganism. Because some missionaries have fought the fight, you simply don't how dark African religion was. This blood sucking religions took the life of many in form of sacrifices. But if you are such an advocate for African religion why don't you visit Atan Ogun state at 12 midnight. I am not sure they've found someone to sacrifice for their dead king. When you get there and the Oro people are about disloding your head from ur body you would realise how beautiful African religion are.
but I should believe some blood sucking white slave traders brought their bullshit tradition to save my life yh? and that some motherfvucker in the middle East died for my sins in Africa, that's the way truth and light yh? grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by plaetton: 9:36am On Apr 22, 2018
--When European children of this age are busy in science labs researching for the next scientific breakthrough, African children are being convinced to speak in tongues for miracles to happen in their lives.

At a time that American children are being taught Advanced Mathematics & Engineering to probe the underseas & space, African children are advised to learn to speak in tongues for financial breakthrough.

At a time that Chinese & Indian Children this age are busy engaging in New Management & Technological studies to enhance their development & improve their lives, African children are being coached to speak in tongues to be able to solve simple arithmetics.

At a time that little school children in Japan & South Korea are being taught Advanced Engineering, Robotics, Construction Techniques & Modern Farming Techniques to be able to improve their nation's net worth, African children are being trained to speak in tongues to ward off the devil.

At a time that children in Hong-Kong, Taiwan, Singapore & Malaysia are seriously mastering Computer Science & Information & Communication Techology to advance their society, improve their economy & enrich their lives, African children are busy speaking in tongues to help end poverty in their families.

Africans, wise up. GOD IS UNIVERSAL.
--

15 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by Nobody: 9:36am On Apr 22, 2018
I think it's the other way around smiley.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by Nobody: 9:38am On Apr 22, 2018
HigherEd:

What do you know about African shrines and paganism. Because some missionaries have fought the fight, you simply don't how dark African religion was. This blood sucking religions took the life of many in form of sacrifices. But if you are such an advocate for African religion why don't you visit Atan Ogun state at 12 midnight. I am not sure they've found someone to sacrifice for their dead king. When you get there and the Oro people are about disloding your head from ur body you would realise how beautiful African religion are.

The missionaries didn't fight shitt

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by StaffofOrayan(m): 9:38am On Apr 22, 2018
Rubbish post, what culture is he talking about? Religion is already eroding our cultures, both major religions would first want you to change your 'evil' name to english or arabic, you even have to accept your ancestors are in hell even though we knew the 10 commandments before the missionary slave traders arrived. The time is coming when we would fight religion. Religion is the most barbaric contraption in earth, Like Fela said, Muslim wanna employ muslims, christians wanna employ christians, our silly elders keep selling us out

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by Nobody: 9:40am On Apr 22, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Like destroying shrines and persecuting pagans? yeah

The tea grin.
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by DeepSight(m): 9:40am On Apr 22, 2018
HigherEd:

I don't know what you are talking about. It seems odd to me to hear a condemnation of ritual human sacrificial killing from an adherent of a religion which espouses salvation by the ritual human sacrificial killing of a man from the middle east.

That aside, surely you cannot be so ignorant as to claim that African religions have murdered more souls than great Christianity has?

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by plaetton: 9:43am On Apr 22, 2018
DeepSight:

I don't know what you are talking about. It seems odd to me to hear a condemnation of ritual human sacrificial killing from an adherent of a religion which espouses salvation by the ritual human sacrificial killing of a man from the middle east.

That aside, surely you cannot be so ignorant as to claim that African religions have murdered more souls than great Christianity has?

Epic!!

8 Likes

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by plaetton: 9:47am On Apr 22, 2018
DeepSight:

My Wordy OGA. smiley
Long time.
How are you ?
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by XhosaNostra(f): 9:47am On Apr 22, 2018
Why choose only one when you can have it both ways? "Zionist churches" in South Africa, combine both African culture & Christianity. At the end of the day we're still Africans. We have our own identity & beliefs, which we had long before the missionaries ever set foot on African soil. It seems unfair to forsaken one for the other, hence there are churches for people who choose to fuse the two.

Example of one such church

[url][/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqIv5QZFmPA]

[url][/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEwGIryoU0U]

1 Like

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:47am On Apr 22, 2018
HigherEd:

And how is Christianity destroying African culture? Christianity only insist that the evil part of any culture must go.

the evil part is that piece of shyt called jesus

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:48am On Apr 22, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Like destroying shrines and persecuting pagans? yeah

Thank You! - From an oppressed minority Nigerian Pagan.

2 Likes

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by vaxx: 9:48am On Apr 22, 2018
HigherEd:

What do you know about African shrines and paganism. Because some missionaries have fought the fight, you simply don't how dark African religion was. This blood sucking religions took the life of many in form of sacrifices. But if you are such an advocate for African religion why don't you visit Atan Ogun state at 12 midnight. I am not sure they've found someone to sacrifice for their dead king. When you get there and the Oro people are about disloding your head from ur body you would realize how beautiful African religion are.
first of all, the period the Christianity marketer known as (missionary) fought the fight with africans was our primitive period when superstition was the order of the day, yet this period is characterized by growth and Renaissance., even if the so call Christianity marketer did not come, we will have easily reach enlightenment on our own. yet the so call church of Christ today are still embroidered with superstition,let me honor with some of them that sill practiced today, but we pagan has decided to be tolerant about it instead of fighting it. ( superstition 1)During a Christian service a wafer is turned into the body of ‘God’/Jesus and this Archbishop believes he is eating the body of Jesus!! To the objective observer that is 'cannibalism' – a Christian ritual based on Pagan beliefs. this can be found mostly among the Catholics and Anglican. with few Pentecostal.(superstition 2)Wine is turned into the ‘blood of God/Jesus’ – and this Christian thinks he is drinking the blood of Jesus/God during the service, also it mostly common among the Catholics.(superstition 3) Pouring water over your head in Baptism removes ‘original sin’ (Information from the other-side informs us that is absolute nonsense!)this cut across every church. (superstition 4) You confess your ‘sins’ ( which is taken from a Roman pre-Christian era ritual) to a priest or independently. ALL your ‘sins will forever be forgiven’. Information from the other side tells us that’s absolute nonsense because no one can modify the Law of Cause and Effect. this cut across all churches.(superstition 5) even if you are like Hitler and manage to say you are very sorry for your sins before you die, you will go to heaven! all this cut across all church. this are just some few. you can see in this case African paganism needs to spread his gospel but we decide to remain tolerance to allow peace to reign. YOU SEE HOW DARK CHRISTIANITY RELIGION IS? AND PLEASE GIVE ME THE CONFIRMATION DETAILS OF ANY SHRINE STILL USING HUMAN AS SACRIFICE. I WILL TAKE IT UP MY SELF I PROMISE.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by DeepSight(m): 9:49am On Apr 22, 2018
plaetton:

My Wordy OGA. smiley
Long time.
How are you ?

My dear Nemesis, I dey o. How are you doing?
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:50am On Apr 22, 2018
HigherEd:

shut your mouth you child r.apist tithe extoritionist. I am A Pagan traditionalist and I dont cut ppls heads off. If anything its muslims who kill people in the name of their sick cult. so shut your ugly face before make Icslape you

2 Likes

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by plaetton: 9:54am On Apr 22, 2018
DeepSight:

My dear Nemesis, I dey o. How are you doing?
I am very well, thank you.
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by Nobody: 9:54am On Apr 22, 2018
edurach:
Here's a piece by Pastor Poju Oyemade on cultural dimension that may be destroying Christianity in Africa.

Why what God has placed in the heart of the younger generation is necessary.

This probably is my most sensitive and delicate write up so far, I have thought about this for years. There is a cultural issue in this nation that may be detrimental to real progress in advancing the kingdom of God.

I will start by telling the story of a conversation that was found in the black box of a plane that had crashed killing all passengers and crew members on a commercial flight in South Korea. On examining the black box to find out the reason for the crash they discovered the last-minute conversation between the pilot and the co-pilot which showed that the co-pilot actually knew what the problem was as the senior pilot struggled with the plane but he didn’t voice it out until it was too late and the plane eventually crashed.

This finding led them to believe that the cultural upbringing of the co-pilot which was a Korean thing which is to defer to one who is more elderly even when you know what is right had caused the crash. The co-pilot even though he knew what the problem was kept quiet out of respect and that cost over a hundred people the lives. It could simply have been averted if he spoke up telling the senior pilot his opinion.

This cultural mindset is prevalent in Africa and this leads the younger generation to remain silent on issues they know in their heart but refuse to speak up in deference to the older. In many cases when the younger ones eventually speak, it is with anger and bitterness, a voice that reveals a feeling of being oppressed for too long and that disrespectful voice lands them on the other side of extremity making them ineffective.

Elihu had this problem with Job’s friends as they counseled him. He listened for a while, refused to speak up because of this cultural issue until he realized he was going to jeopardize his position in God and God was going to look elsewhere for a man with the courage to voice the revelation within him.

Listen to his words in Job 32:6-10 (KJV)

“And Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite answered and said, I am young, and ye are very old; wherefore I was afraid and durst not shew you mine opinion. I said Days should speak, and the multitude of years should teach wisdom.But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding……….therefore I said, Hearken to me; I also will shew mine opinion.”

He later spoke about the consequence of keeping quiet in
Job 32:17-22 saying His Maker will take him out. Elihu actually meant death for in silence you have denied your purpose on the earth.

“I said, I will answer also my part, I also will shew mine opinion.
For I am full of matter, the spirit within me constraineth me. Behold, my belly is as wine which hath no vent; it is ready to burst like new bottles. I will speak, that I may be refreshed: I will open my lips and answer. Let me not, I pray you, accept any man’s person, neither let me give flattering titles unto man. For I know not to give flattering titles; in so doing my maker would soon take me away.”

God places His revelation in two generations in different ways and it is when those two generations “see each other” for as in water face answereth unto face so does the heart of a man answereth to the other.

Proverbs 27:19 As in water face answereth to face, so the heart of man to man.

For there to be a trans-generational blessing not only must the heart of the children turn to their fathers the heart of the fathers must turn towards their children.

Malachi 4:6 “And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.”

God places something unique in each generation and it will take the linking of hands for real progress to be made. The old men will dream dreams and the younger will see visions. This type of relationship will have no iota of disrespect for the elderly but it is just the way God has established it.

As a child grows he or she begins to acquire knowledge beyond what he learned at home and after something can contribute to a conversation and advance the opinion in a family. To keep silent when you know better is disservice even to the elderly.

You make them take positions that may be totally out of tune with what is really going on because you whom God placed around them to give balance was silent and kept feeding the tendency in them that the younger generation know nothing and even after 20 years are still listeners with no voice nor contribution.

Voicing out your opinion should not be done in a disrespectful way and shouldn’t be done in an attack mode but as a regular practice so that it becomes part of the culture.

Giving voice to your revelation doesn’t always have to be in speech but more in action. It is in pursuing the path God has laid down for you that may be slightly different from the approach of the previous generation but you are doing it not out of rebellion but honoring the truth within.

This opinion doesn’t have to be at variance but contributing to the development of a thought, refining what went before. If you are always at variance then you are operating in the flesh.

The way God has designed it is as a generation gets old the younger generation should take them by the hand and drive the agenda. The younger once relied on their insights then the time comes for the older not to be discarded nor shamed but to be held by the hand and shown by the younger the next positioning and glean from their wisdom as the younger drive the agenda.

John 21:18 (KJV)
“18 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdest thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.”

It is when the younger do not understand that a change has occurred in the realm of the spirit and they should run with the baton that problems begin to break out. That generation as Elihu said becomes a wasted generation.

The younger generation must know that when you keep quiet and just tow the line because you don’t want to rock the boat you are doing a great disservice to the older generation.

The voice they need to create the balance is in you and you have shut them out of it. This silence is predominantly an African thing and not a biblical concept nor even something rooted in Judaism from where emerged Christianity. Most of the time it is in hypocrisy with a lot of back talks.

Hear what Paul said about mutual benefit.

Romans 1:11-12 (KJV)
“For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established; That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.”
http://newsnow.com.ng/cultural-dimension-that-may-be-destroying-christianity-in-africa-pastor-poju-oyemade-writes/

I don't have time to read the useless baseless senseless article.

It is the western religion called Christianity that is actually destroying Africa.

11 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Funny Prayer Request(s) You've Ever Heard / We Are In God's Third Day And The Rapture Can Happen At Any Time - Joseph Prince / Cartoons Lead Children To Hell ( Avoid It)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.