Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,694 members, 7,823,949 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" (20537 Views)

Pastor Poju Oyemade Deletes His Tweets After He was Attacked On Twitter / Coronavirus: Pastor Poju Oyemade's 2019 Prophecy Of An Unstoppable Plague / Pastor Poju Oyemade Reacts To Biodun Fatoyinbo's Rape Allegation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by BlackAdam55(m): 1:12pm On Apr 22, 2018
Kobicove:

Christianity was never part of our culture to begin with!
yeah but our culture wasn't better either.. Shalom

1 Like

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by FisifunKododada: 1:23pm On Apr 22, 2018
I abandoned Christianity and embraced the Great Shango - my life has never been better. African spirituality for Africans.

2 Likes

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by steveDpro: 1:43pm On Apr 22, 2018
Hmmm
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by Ghost01(m): 1:47pm On Apr 22, 2018
He wanted us to know that he has read Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers: The Story of Success. We haff hear.
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by Onliie(m): 1:58pm On Apr 22, 2018
Jesse01:
and Christianity is not destroying African (Nigerian )culture? undecided
read the write up first
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by Horus(m): 2:00pm On Apr 22, 2018
There was no religious fanaticism with African traditional spirituality

Religious fanaticism came with alien imported religions

2 Likes

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by princfred(m): 3:02pm On Apr 22, 2018
HigherEd:

What do you know about African shrines and paganism. Because some missionaries have fought the fight, you simply don't how dark African religion was. This blood sucking religions took the life of many in form of sacrifices. But if you are such an advocate for African religion why don't you visit Atan Ogun state at 12 midnight. I am not sure they've found someone to sacrifice for their dead king. When you get there and the Oro people are about disloding your head from ur body you would realise how beautiful African religion are.
Guy you get sense . Am following you from now. Perfect reply.

1 Like

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by princfred(m): 3:07pm On Apr 22, 2018
HigherEd:

Stfu how easy do you think it's for a deeper life member from South East to hate Yorubas when his own general overseer is a Yoruba man.

The only connecting dot between an Igbo and a Yoruba is Christianity. If not for Christianity which sort of aligned cultural beliefs it would be virtually difficult for yorubas to do anything with Igbos.

90% of my friends from the East I met on the platform of the church so don't come here saying rubbish about what you know little about.
kia my man another sense there. I didnt even know you are Yoruba. Walahi you brain is full. Dont mind that guy. He only see few Christians not in agreement(which does not necessarily mean hating) other from another denomination but not tge millions who love each other and have productive relationships because of Christianity. A case of selective amnesia
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by superhumanist(m): 3:09pm On Apr 22, 2018
paxonel:
African cultures is what has infected christianity negatively.
The only effect of christianity on African culture which i don't see it as a negative effect is how christians are now conditioned to prefer white man dressing of suit and tie over the local agbada and buba and wrapper, ankara, kaftan, or the Igbo traditional attire.
I think it is largely due to colonization not just only christianity.

I must say, christianity has played a better role in uniting the nigerian tribes and cultures but the wrong values and beliefs of African cultures(not the good ones) have not complicated the good values and morals found in the bible. That is the biggest problem of Africa today

You and the pastor are flat out wrong. Christianity is destroying our culture.

1. Nigerians bearing Christian names like "Hezekiah", "Matthew" etc

2. Christians claiming that some tribal dresses are not decent for their church.

3. Worshipping a white Jesus. Jesus is more likely to be dark skinned.

4. Saying that our traditional religions are demonic

5. Prosperity gospel

3 Likes

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by Lomprico2: 3:11pm On Apr 22, 2018
I think its the other way round.

1 Like

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by princfred(m): 3:12pm On Apr 22, 2018
Jesse01:
by making it look like our culture is evil, (like it was sent from the devil )while Christianity seems like it was sent from above.

It's destorying our culture,kids this days can not even tell u about our culture, but
Can tell u the whole bible stroies from Genesis to revelation
Is that not disturbing to u?
Your culture is so angelic it was condoning the killing of twins, human sacrifices, burial of certain people with head of others, going to evil forest for God knows what Etc . Such a nice culture. Maybe they for don sacrifice your empty skull by now.
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by Abagworo(m): 3:13pm On Apr 22, 2018
Rather Christianity and Abrahamic religions destroyed African culture.

3 Likes

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by princfred(m): 3:14pm On Apr 22, 2018
Abagworo:
Rather Christianity and Abrahamic religions destroyed African culture.
For good.Your culture is so angelic it was condoning the killing of twins, human sacrifices, burial of certain people with head of others, going to evil forest for God knows what Etc . Such a nice culture. Maybe they for don sacrifice your empty skull by now.
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by princfred(m): 3:16pm On Apr 22, 2018
Horus:
Give them back their jesus and return to your ancestors.

Accepting an imported Alien Religion has killed our peoples minds!
To you and the semi idiots who clicked like and shared your crap. Your culture is so angelic it was condoning the killing of twins, human sacrifices, burial of certain people with head of others, going to evil forest for God knows what Etc . Such a nice culture. Maybe they for don sacrifice your empty skull by now.
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by princfred(m): 3:22pm On Apr 22, 2018
yeyerolling:
What the elders see sitting the youth cant see from a tree------ dumbest shit ever. Our culture is the main reason we are under developed
Exactly. A culture based mainly on Authoritarianism, selfish greed for flamboyance, following bloody gods and non innovation (strict adherence to how a thing was done by grandfathers who lived in different times) not on exploration, science or innovation.
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by princfred(m): 3:26pm On Apr 22, 2018
PAGAN9JA:

fvck christianity. we will eradicate it from our Nigeria and restore the faith of our forefathers.
Yeah where do we start from human sacrifices or killing of twins? When are you embarking on a suicidal journey to the evil forest to get an egg to save your village from bloodthirsty gods? You should be thanking whites brain dead idiot.
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by princfred(m): 3:31pm On Apr 22, 2018
AreaFada2:
Africans with inferiority complex. Japanese & Chinese have less than 1% Christian population. They didn't have to give up their culture to make bullet trains and the electronics you all enjoy. They allowed it to evolve.

Is is African culture that make many pastors Bleep both married and unmarried church members? In our culture we have taboos against many atrocities now going on everywhere. He should explain how African culture instructed the Reverend Professor to use sex for marks. grin cheesy cheesy

Make the man park well. He should just quietly enjoy his sheeples' money.
Every culture was not destined to bring thesame result of development. E.g the African culture which abhors innovation but insists on things being done the way it has always been done without question or

1 Like

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by princfred(m): 3:35pm On Apr 22, 2018
vaxx:
first of all, the period the Christianity marketer known as (missionary) fought the fight with africans was our primitive period when superstition was the order of the day, yet this period is characterized by growth and Renaissance., even if the so call Christianity marketer did not come, we will have easily reach enlightenment on our own. yet the so call church of Christ today are still embroidered with superstition,let me honor with some of them that sill practiced today, but we pagan has decided to be tolerant about it instead of fighting it. ( superstition 1)During a Christian service a wafer is turned into the body of ‘God’/Jesus and this Archbishop believes he is eating the body of Jesus!! To the objective observer that is 'cannibalism' – a Christian ritual based on Pagan beliefs. this can be found mostly among the Catholics and Anglican. with few Pentecostal.(superstition 2)Wine is turned into the ‘blood of God/Jesus’ – and this Christian thinks he is drinking the blood of Jesus/God during the service, also it mostly common among the Catholics.(superstition 3) Pouring water over your head in Baptism removes ‘original sin’ (Information from the other-side informs us that is absolute nonsense!)this cut across every church. (superstition 4) You confess your ‘sins’ ( which is taken from a Roman pre-Christian era ritual) to a priest or independently. ALL your ‘sins will forever be forgiven’. Information from the other side tells us that’s absolute nonsense because no one can modify the Law of Cause and Effect. this cut across all churches.(superstition 5) even if you are like Hitler and manage to say you are very sorry for your sins before you die, you will go to heaven! all this cut across all church. this are just some few. you can see in this case African paganism needs to spread his gospel but we decide to remain tolerance to allow peace to reign. YOU SEE HOW DARK CHRISTIANITY RELIGION IS? AND PLEASE GIVE ME THE CONFIRMATION DETAILS OF ANY SHRINE STILL USING HUMAN AS SACRIFICE. I WILL TAKE IT UP MY SELF I PROMISE.
Every culture was not destined to achieve thesame result. Not one that hated innovation .

1 Like

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by vaxx: 3:45pm On Apr 22, 2018
princfred:
Every culture was not destined to achieve thesame result. Not one that hated innovation .
No culture is laid back. evolution is constant.
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 22, 2018
Guidette:
Damn! The replies on this thread gives me so much life and hope for my African people. Seems like a lot of people have stopped drinking the white man's koolaid and are breaking free from the shackles of mental slavery.

@hopefulLandlord, Jesse01, Horus
Y'all make me so proud... love you guys so much. Keep enlightening the sheeple my dear brothers. kiss
thank u dear smiley

3 Likes

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by AreaFada2: 4:40pm On Apr 22, 2018
princfred:
Every culture was not destined to bring the same result of development. E.g the African culture which abhors innovation but insists on things being done the way it has always been done without question or
I do not know which lack of innovation you mean. Without Western universities to teach chemistry or metallurgy Benin, Owo, Ife, NOK culture, Igbo Ukwu and others were making excellent metal works comparable to those made in the West at that time centuries ago.

We developed religious beliefs that acknowledged Oghene-Osa, Eledumare, Chukwu as supreme God. We had no Biblical old testament to copy from.

We developed both Republican and monarchical systems of govt independently. We had our own lunar calendar. All developed before Oyinbo came. African culture was always dynamic. Not static.

In fact our innovation only stopped when Oyinbo came. We became "copiers" of other people's culture. Europeans on one hand, Arabs on the other.

Your submission has no historical or factual basis to support it. Self-loathing is one thing. Fact is another.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by ibietela2(m): 4:53pm On Apr 22, 2018
PAGAN9JA:

Whats there to think? Its obvious. More than half of our ancestors culture and spiritual knowledge has been systemmatically destroyrd by these parasites.

I no wan offend people na
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by guiddoti: 4:55pm On Apr 22, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Like destroying shrines and persecuting pagans? yeah
How do you see pagans using their own human's parts for sacrifice?
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by Timoleon(m): 4:59pm On Apr 22, 2018
Chi59:
So, in other words, what this pastor is trying to say is that respect killed both crew and passengers on board.
Chai! Too much of anything is not good. Too much respect killed everyone on board the plane.

Do u believe this? According to the pastor, the junior pilot didn't speak up because he was younger instead choosing to stay quiet..
1. if he stayed quiet, how did the pastor know that the younger pilot knows the solution?

2. in a highly professional environment 1+1 is usually 2. it will be difficult for my the older pilot not to see reason to truth.

3. Neither the younger nor older pilot has 2 lives so why would they both prefer to die that speak up
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by paxonel(m): 5:35pm On Apr 22, 2018
superhumanist:

You and the pastor are flat out wrong. Christianity is destroying our culture.
I'm just talking objectively, I never mentioned any pastor

1. Nigerians bearing Christian names like "Hezekiah", "Matthew" etc
how is this affecting African culture?

2. Christians claiming that some tribal dresses are not decent for their church.
example of such tribal dress?

3. Worshipping a white Jesus. Jesus is more likely to be dark skinned.
out of point! We are talking about culture, not skin colour

4. Saying that our traditional religions are demonic
there are no scriptural proofs for this belief! It is not from the bible.

Even orunmila worshipers were long referring to ogun worshippers as demonic before white men brought christianity, so it's African thing, not christianity. If you see christians having this kinda beliefs it is influenced by African culture.

5. Prosperity gospel
out of point too
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by paxonel(m): 5:39pm On Apr 22, 2018
quincee88:
YOU ARE INDEED A CONFUSED ANIMAL
attacking is not the solution to your problems. Point out reasons too
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by paxonel(m): 5:41pm On Apr 22, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Whatever way Christianity is helping to foster unity can still be done without it but I see sense in what you're saying
very true!
Unity can still be there even without christianity
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by superhumanist(m): 5:49pm On Apr 22, 2018
paxonel:
I'm just talking objectively, I never mentioned any pastor
how is this affecting African culture?
example of such tribal dress?
out of point! We are talking about culture, not skin colour
there are no scriptural proofs for this belief! It is not from the bible.

Even orunmila worshipers were long referring to ogun worshippers as demonic before white men brought christianity, so it's African thing, not christianity. If you see christians having this kinda beliefs it is influenced by African culture.
out of point too

This is my problem with discussing with christians- you guys wilfully act ignorant just to defend your religion.

How can an African man ask why Africans having Jewish/Christian names is wrong? Is it not our African tradition to give our children African names that have deeper meaning? Even from a name, you can tell what language or tribe a person is from.

I wouldnt bother to debate the rest of the points. I have learnt to conserve energy when debating people who do not want to use their brain.

1 Like

Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by vaxx: 5:54pm On Apr 22, 2018
paxonel:

out of point too
This is not true, any evidence? let me tolerate you for a momment
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by princfred(m): 6:21pm On Apr 22, 2018
AreaFada2:

I do not know which lack of innovation you mean. Without Western universities to teach chemistry or metallurgy Benin, Owo, Ife, NOK culture, Igbo Ukwu and others were making excellent metal works comparable to those made in the West.

We developed religious beliefs that acknowledged Oghene-Osa, Eledumare, Chukwu as supreme God. We had no Biblical old testament to copy from.

We developed both Republican and monarchical systems of govt independently. We had our own lunar calendar. All developed before Oyinbo came. African culture was always dynamic. Not static.

In fact our innovation only stopped when Oyinbo came. We became "copiers" of other people's culture. Europeans on one hand, Arabs on the other.

Your submission has no historical or factual basis to support it. Self-loathing is one thing. Fact is another.
How does your igbo ukwu compare to people who were already producing airplanes in metallurgy? You use NOK culture dey compare with people who were producing machines and exploring space with technology. Such is the ego induced delusional arrogant ignorance of the typical African that has made him unable to learn and develop. In how many years will you have been able to invent great things whites already had or establish mechanical farming ? How did your recognition of chukwu etc help you stop human sacrifices and killing of twins etc. Upon all you know it was white men who help to develop the lexicon of your language into written language capable of enabling widespread teaching and learning. My Amadioha needs your brainless skull and testicles to appease him, please for the love of African culture, donate. The lack of innovation i mean is that imagine someone in Africa coming out then saying he wants to develop something that will go to the moon. He would have been regarded as a mad idiot by everyone in the village. In fact, the chief priests would have sacrificed him for desecrating the land if he went ahead with his idea. What is an African brain and culture then and to some extent now fixated on if not to build mud house, farm, marry plenty, born man and follow his blood thirsty gods and traditions? And loathe or even antagonize anyone who deviates from that culture. Were is the innovative orientation in that?
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by princfred(m): 6:41pm On Apr 22, 2018
vaxx:
No culture is laid back. evolution is constant.
The African culture was based on strictly adhering to traditional pattern of behavior and any deviation was highly and easily punishable at the whims of chief and chief priest. Nothing dynamic/no room for dynamism about that. Even now you are advocating for Africans to lay back to their old ways, the ways of their ancestors what tge hell is dynamic about that?

Asians and the rest of the world learnt from whites and whites learnt from others including even Africans and evolved but black man in his egotistic un innovative culture cant easily appreciate something better (if its not from his own great grand fathers) to embrace and improve. Open mind makes for better judgement but the African orientation operates on a closed mind ideology as questions are not entertained nor empirical proves highly sought after.
Re: Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" by gulfer: 6:46pm On Apr 22, 2018
The title should e, ' how Christianity is destroying African cultures..... angry

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Bishop Ozubulu Distributed 500 Bags Of Rice To The Poor - Photos / Overcoming Sexual Related Sins As A Young Christian. / What Experience Have You Had That Made You Believe That God Is Real?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.