Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,910 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... - Autos (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... (26276 Views)

Insurance Services: Get Your Motor Insurance/renewal Within 5mins / Contact Us For Your Motor Spare Parts Such As Toyota,nissan,honda, Etc / How Your Motor Fluids Can Get You Killed... Must Read!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by fidinwala(m): 6:01pm On Jun 11, 2018
please what is the best Engine Oil for Pontiac Vibe All Wheel Drive
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by b0y(m): 6:53pm On Jun 11, 2018
Good day,

What could cause a car to intermittently engage (sort of) the brakes on its own will on low/moderately high speed? I use an acura tsx and ive practically checked everything with a mechanic to no avail.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by sexuential: 7:56pm On Jun 11, 2018
hello, motor guru
I use a v40 98-99 model Volvo and I am wondering what might be d cause and solution to consistent shortening of engine oil even without leakages and smoking from d exhaust.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 3:10pm On Jun 12, 2018
sexuential:
hello, motor guru
I use a v40 98-99 model Volvo and I am wondering what might be d cause and solution to consistent shortening of engine oil even without leakages and smoking from d exhaust.

I would look at your PCV valve first (Positive crankcase ventilation). It might be sticky...
Be doubly sure that there is no leakage. i would prefer you drive to a filling station alignment pit and perform a visual inspection on the underside of the engine bay.

Your valve stems seals may be bad.

If these three checks out, then i am afraid your piston oil control rings may be worn. This can only be solved by either engine rebuild or engine replacement.
The smoke that you would have seen is already 'trapped' by your catalytic converter. This will ultimately damage it in the long run

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:45am On Jun 13, 2018
here
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by lanrally: 3:00pm On Jun 17, 2018
Plz
Should I remove the thermostat of my newly acquired 2003 Camry toks. I observed the temperature goes up above the middle line approaching the high and the radiator fans do not start immediately with the start of the engine. Mechanics have advised I remove it.

I also observed that the car vibrates with the hood vibration conspicuous when the car AC is on. Plz advise.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by danherb: 11:52pm On Jun 17, 2018
Hi Guru,

Please I want to buy Nigerian used Toyota corolla car but the owner told me that the car original engine has been changed before. I am now sceptical about buying the car even when he told me that it was Elizade that changed the engine and all documents are available.

Should I go ahead and buy the clean car with the new engine or forget about the car?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Ifesinachi22(m): 4:45am On Jun 18, 2018
Please a friend of mine needs suggestions urgently.

Between Ford Edge 2010 Model and Toyota Camry Spider 2010 Model which should he go for?

Millage, all are above 70K.
Every other thing is considered equal

Ford Edge is 3 million
Toyota Spider is 2.8 Million

Advice needed Urgently please
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:08am On Jun 18, 2018
lanrally:
Plz
Should I remove the thermostat of my newly acquired 2003 Camry toks. I observed the temperature goes up above the middle line approaching the high and the radiator fans do not start immediately with the start of the engine. Mechanics have advised I remove it.

I also observed that the car vibrates with the hood vibration conspicuous when the car AC is on. Plz advise.

There are cases where a faulty Thermostat will fail (stuck closed) but it is not very common. Have your cooling system checked (water pump, operation of the fans radiator , pipe leaks, and ensure you replace the Thermostat with a new one preferably.

Using a car without a thermostat will lead to increased fuel consumption, and excessive wear and tear of the engine.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by adejide2: 5:22am On Jun 18, 2018
my Mitsubishi gallant station wagon 1998 throttled to pick on packing but throttle between 1and 2 on loading. Just bought new throttle sensor and fixed by rewire. Rewire found out that one of the wires of the sensor connector has been detached. Could this be cause of the car problem not being able to throttle on loading or is there other things affecting the car. Please my gurus help. Thanks.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 2:22pm On Jun 18, 2018
danherb:
Hi Guru,

Please I want to buy Nigerian used Toyota corolla car but the owner told me that the car original engine has been changed before. I am now sceptical about buying the car even when he told me that it was Elizade that changed the engine and all documents are available.

Should I go ahead and buy the clean car with the new engine or forget about the car?

Engine change in itself is not bad, However the way it was done and the replacement engine used are very important aspects to ensure the process is not repeated again. I would be tempted to believe that Elizaade should have performed the swap as per factory specification, all correct fliuds used , and all bolts and nuts tightened or torqued to spec.Get an independent mechanic to perform a comprehensive inspection so that you can have peace of mind in your purchase. You can contact Gazzuzz on this this forum.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 2:30pm On Jun 18, 2018
Ifesinachi22:
Please a friend of mine needs suggestions urgently.

Between Ford Edge 2010 Model and Toyota Camry Spider 2010 Model which should he go for?

Millage, all are above 70K.
Every other thing is considered equal

Ford Edge is 3 million
Toyota Spider is 2.8 Million

Advice needed Urgently please

This depends on many factors, as these two vehicles are in two different market segments.
The Edge is crossover SUV, the Camry is a mid size family sedan(saloon)
The Edge has a Higher ground clearance comparedmto the Camry
The Edge is thristier than the Camry equipped with v6engine
The Camry is ( in my opinion based on facts) more reliable
The Edge has greater cabin and cargo room
The Edge come available with AWD
Parts are not in the same league( Edge more expensive)
Ease of maintance ? Camry it is.

So, it depends on what your friend really wants in a vehicle.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 2:35pm On Jun 18, 2018
lanrally:
Plz

For the vibration concern kindly perform an engine tuneup.( change of air filter, cleaning of throttle valve, check/ replace apart plugs according to manufactures spec.
Also check the condition of all engine mounts to be sure they are OK( particularly the one at the from passenger side)
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 2:37pm On Jun 18, 2018
adejide2:
my Mitsubishi gallant station wagon 1998 throttled to pick on packing but throttle between 1and 2 on loading. Just bought new throttle sensor and fixed by rewire. Rewire found out that one of the wires of the sensor connector has been detached. Could this be cause of the car problem not being able to throttle on loading or is there other things affecting the car. Please my gurus help. Thanks.

It is possible. Since your car is OBD 2 compliant(after 1996) kindly perform a scan to be doubly sure.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Ifesinachi22(m): 7:33pm On Jun 18, 2018
MotorGuru:

This depends on many factors, as these two vehicles are in two different market segments.
The Edge is crossover SUV, the Camry is a mid size family sedan(saloon)
The Edge has a Higher ground clearance comparedmto the Camry
The Edge is thristier than the Camry equipped with v6engine
The Camry is ( in my opinion based on facts) more reliable
The Edge has greater cabin and cargo room
The Edge come available with AWD
Parts are not in the same league( Edge more expensive)
Ease of maintance ? Camry it is.

So, it depends on what your friend really wants in a vehicle.

God bless you Motor guru.
Camry is better then
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 10:50am On Jun 19, 2018
available for you...
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by aboooyowa(m): 11:30am On Jun 19, 2018
@motor Guru. Which car can you recommend for a young man, with lesser maintenance cost and moderate fuel consumption between 1.5m-1.6m in Nigeria. Thanks
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Samony: 12:27pm On Jun 26, 2018
MotorGuru:

Change oil again. But this time replace the oil filter with a new one.
Hello MotorGuru, I hope u are doing great. Refer my previous post. I have changed both the gear oil and filter of my 03 corolla and it is still having same issue.

Here is my complain

(Well-done Motor Guru..Please there is something I started noticing in my car. Sometimes when i engage my gear, especially on reverse, the car won't move. then if I throttle slowly, it still don't move until after some seconds before it picks. I took it to my mechanic, he change the gear oil and wash the filter. after a while it started again. pls what could be the problem?)
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 2:22pm On Jun 26, 2018
Samony:
Hello MotorGuru, I hope u are doing great. Refer my previous post. I have changed both the gear oil and filter of my 03 corolla and it is still having same issue.

Here is my complain

(Well-done Motor Guru..Please there is something I started noticing in my car. Sometimes when i engage my gear, especially on reverse, the car won't move. then if I throttle slowly, it still don't move until after some seconds before it picks. I took it to my mechanic, he change the gear oil and wash the filter. after a while it started again. pls what could be the problem?)

Wow sorry for the incovience. Have you scanned the car for trouble codes? if you have not, please do.
If you have already and you have no codes, then i am afraid the valve-body of your gearbox has been compromised.
This usually requires change of complete gearbox for peace of mind, But if it ever comes to this, please contact the moniker [b]Kashif [/b]on this forum before you make any decision.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Samony: 11:28pm On Jun 26, 2018
MotorGuru:

Wow sorry for the incovience. Have you scanned the car for trouble codes? if you have not, please do.
If you have already and you have no codes, then i am afraid the valve-body of your gearbox has been compromised.
This usually requires change of complete gearbox for peace of mind, But if it ever comes to this, please contact the moniker [b]Kashif [/b]on this forum before you make any decision.
I have not scanned it yet. Will do that and get back to you. Thanks
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by thebigkendo(m): 10:43am On Nov 22, 2018
What happened to Motorguru
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:46am On Nov 22, 2018
thebigkendo:

Let me find him.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by thebigkendo(m): 10:56am On Nov 22, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Let me find him.

smiley
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 6:25pm On Dec 06, 2018
thebigkendo:

just back from my Ashram smiley
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:29pm On Dec 06, 2018
MotorGuru:

just back from my Ashram smiley

Uncle welcome back o!
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 6:33pm On Dec 06, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Uncle welcome back o!

grin

Thank you sir!
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 9:30pm On Dec 23, 2018
Seasons greetings my automotive friends! cheesy
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by bulletproofmonk(m): 9:33pm On Dec 23, 2018
MotorGuru will be back. wink
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 9:38pm On Dec 23, 2018
fidinwala:
please what is the best Engine Oil for Pontiac Vibe All Wheel Drive

Sorry this is coming late but:
Is the car recently purchased? If yes, is there any documented history as regards previous oil changes?

The reCommended oil viscosity for your car is 5w-30. Fully synthetic is best. Mileage and condition of vehicle would be a factor if you might experience issues such as engine oil shortage and whatnot.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 9:39pm On Dec 23, 2018
bulletproofmonk:
MotorGuru will be back. wink

cheesy
Seasons greetings to you sir.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 9:47pm On Dec 23, 2018
aboooyowa:
@motor Guru. Which car can you recommend for a young man, with lesser maintenance cost and moderate fuel consumption between 1.5m-1.6m in Nigeria. Thanks

Naija used or toks sir?

For toks you can have the following with your budget:
2003-05 Honda accord( EOD)
2002-04 Toyota Camry( big daddy)
2003-04 Toyota corolla
2002 Toyota Rav4
2003 Volvo S60*
2007 Hyundai Elantra( american spec), you might need to up your budget on this one sha)
2006-07 Honda civic

For naija used , you can have the following
2007-08 Toyota Camry
2008-09 Honda Accord
2002-04 Toyota highlander(4 cylinder)
2007 Toyota yaris
Etc

Please note these are very safe options , purely based on my opinion
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 9:52pm On Dec 23, 2018
Samony:
I have not scanned it yet. Will do that and get back to you. Thanks
Has vehicle been scanned yet? Please post here if done already ( I.e if issue has still not yet been resolved)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply)

2012 Mercedez Benz F700 / I Need A Full Option! 2006 Toyota Camry or 2005 Toyota Avalon / Get Your Cars From Cotonou Port With Ease: Low Milage ,clean And Good Price !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.