Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,033 members, 7,818,052 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... (26378 Views)

Insurance Services: Get Your Motor Insurance/renewal Within 5mins / Contact Us For Your Motor Spare Parts Such As Toyota,nissan,honda, Etc / How Your Motor Fluids Can Get You Killed... Must Read!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 1:46pm On Apr 24, 2018
HeavenlyBang:
What are your thoughts on buying a Mercedes in Nigeria. Something from the W203 era, for example.

Good buy? Maintenance costs? Security? Performance?

The W203 era...
Good car, but i will personally vouch for models on or after 2004. Most gremlins were corrected by then

Parts and maitenance?

Believe it or not, parts like engines and gearboxes are cheaper than its Japanese counterparts grin
As the car gets popular by the day more and more mechanics are becoming familiar with the technology.

Security?
I will feel more comfortable leaving my c class unlocked at the bank than my 2003 Toyota corolla locked and equipped with two trackers shocked

Performance?
My brother, if you drive a Benz as a first car, you may never touch any Japmobile again( perhaps for life cool)....Maybe except lexus....or Infiniti....Or Acura undecided

5 Likes

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by BetaThings: 1:58pm On Apr 24, 2018
MotorGuru:

Thank you sir for your kind words.
More than deserved

Please keep it up; I am learning a lot here

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 2:17pm On Apr 24, 2018
Make your Inquiries here
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:25pm On Apr 24, 2018
MotorGuru:

The W203 era...
Good car, but i will personally vouch for models on or after 2004. Most gremlins were corrected by then

Parts and maitenance?

Believe it or not, parts like engines and gearboxes are cheaper than its Japanese counterparts grin
As the car gets popular by the day more and more mechanics are becoming familiar with the technology.

Security?
I will feel more comfortable leaving my c class unlocked at the bank than my 2003 Toyota corolla locked and equipped with two trackers shocked

Performance?
My brother, if you drive a Benz as a first car, you may never touch any Japmobile again( perhaps for life cool)....Maybe except lexus....or Infiniti....Or Acura undecided

Thank you!
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 5:04pm On Apr 24, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Thank you!
You are welcome sir
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:02pm On Apr 24, 2018
Your questions pls
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by 1sttruth: 8:11pm On Apr 24, 2018
Need your modest advice on least amount to budget for a moderate effecient car(Toyota or Mercedes), How to go about it too. Thank you
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by newman1: 9:32pm On Apr 24, 2018
Hi
I have an 06 rav 4, 3.5l engine that makes this brief (1-2 sec) rattle on cold start. Engine runs fine and smooth. Came to realise the fault is most likely the variable camshaft gear. Is it worth fixing? What advice would you recommend. Thanks
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by donbuchi1(m): 5:41am On Apr 25, 2018
Boss,

Good morning, please I need your advise on what choice of SUV to buy. My three key requirements are:

1. Family size - so I need it in a 3 ROW (7 seater)
2. Budget - 2.5 to 3
3. Low maintenance cost

Thankful for your assistance.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by pennzo: 6:57am On Apr 25, 2018
[quote author=donbuchi1 post=67006272]Boss,

Good morning, please I need your advise on what choice of SUV to buy. My three key requirements are:

2. Budget - 2.5 to 3
3. Low maintenance cost

Thankful for your assistance

Get a 03-07 Highlander v6. It's 3 row and within your budget or Pilot of the same year(s)
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:02am On Apr 25, 2018
1sttruth:
Need your modest advice on least amount to budget for a moderate effecient car(Toyota or Mercedes), How to go about it too. Thank you
Open to forces of demand and supply. But if you need a relatively modern vehicle (2001-up) budget nothing less than 1.5 million for toks and nothing less than 900K for Naija used

3 Likes

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:12am On Apr 25, 2018
newman1:
Hi
I have an 06 rav 4, 3.5l engine that makes this brief (1-2 sec) rattle on cold start. Engine runs fine and smooth. Came to realise the fault is most likely the variable camshaft gear. Is it worth fixing? What advice would you recommend. Thanks

The VTC actuators are already failing (as you have described). What kind of engine oil are you using? How frequently do you perform oil changes?

If you were using oil with a higher weight, changing the oil to factory spec MAY resolve the issue(5W-30 for the 2GR-FE engine).But In my opinion, once these actuators start giving way, Your best best is to replace with a NEW unit. .This can be easily sourced on EBay ( the 2GR-FE engine is a fairly common one with available parts). Pls note that replacing this unit requires removal of valve cover and timing chain(it is invasive to the engine). And because of the very tight space available in your engine bay, The engine may have to be dropped. And you will need a professional mechanic to avoid stories that touch ( your timing will have to be reset ).
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:14am On Apr 25, 2018
donbuchi1:
Boss,

2. Budget - 2.5 to 3
3. Low maintenance cost

[quote author=pennzo post=67007362][/quote]

I would recommend the same.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:14am On Apr 25, 2018
donbuchi1:
Boss,

2. Budget - 2.5 to 3
3. Low maintenance cost

I would recommend the same.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:15am On Apr 25, 2018
donbuchi1:
Boss,

2. Budget - 2.5 to 3
3. Low maintenance cost

[quote author=pennzo post=67007362]

I would recommend the same (2005 Highlander V6 AWD w/3rd row seats
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:45am On Apr 25, 2018
your questions and inquires
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by newman1: 8:59am On Apr 25, 2018
MotorGuru:

The VTC actuators are already failing (as you have described). What kind of engine oil are you using? How frequently do you perform oil changes?

If you were using oil with a higher weight, changing the oil to factory spec MAY resolve the issue(5W-30 for the 2GR-FE engine).But In my opinion, once these actuators start giving way, Your best best is to replace with a NEW unit. .This can be easily sourced on EBay ( the 2GR-FE engine is a fairly common one with available parts). Pls note that replacing this unit requires removal of valve cover and timing chain(it is invasive to the engine). And because of the very tight space available in your engine bay, The engine may have to be dropped. And you will need a professional mechanic to avoid stories that touch ( your timing will have to be reset ).

Thanks so far
I bought car Nigerian used, previous owner most likely used wrong oil.I have changed to recommend with little improvement, vehicle actual mileage 104k mile.
Considering the chances of falling into the wrong hands, is there any consequence of ignoring repair?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 9:07am On Apr 25, 2018
newman1:
Thanks so far
I bought car Nigerian used, previous owner most likely used wrong oil.I have changed to recommend with little improvement, vehicle actual mileage 104k mile.
Considering the chances of falling into the wrong hands, is there any consequence of ignoring repair?

Changing to recommended is good. But the siutation will not get any better (or worse i presume).

I think you should just be religious with your engine maintenance( oil changes) , and aside the noise, you may just be fine.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by newman1: 9:20am On Apr 25, 2018
MotorGuru:

Changing to recommended is good. But the siutation will not get any better (or worse i presume).

I think you should just be religious with your engine maintenance( oil changes) , and aside the noise, you may just be fine.
Thanks
Are you based in Nigeria?
Some of us will like to be able to have your contact
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by donbuchi1(m): 10:08am On Apr 25, 2018

Thank you for your recommendation. Please what do you think of Acura 04 - 06?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by donbuchi1(m): 10:27am On Apr 25, 2018
[quote author=MotorGuru post=67009386][/quote]

Thank you for your recommendation, I appreciate. Please what do you think of Acura 04 - 06?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Harpesin(m): 10:32am On Apr 25, 2018
Nice post.

Please what is ur take on Mazda Tribute 2001 model. What are the likely issues with this model?

Then any idea of catalyst in it exhaust ? I mean the price of a good one.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by pennzo: 11:59am On Apr 25, 2018
donbuchi1:

Not a bad ride too, more rugged, but you'll spend slightly more on maintenance
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by motorguru1: 1:42pm On Apr 25, 2018
donbuchi1:

My other moniker was banned ( i am to blame)

A very nice comfortable and sporty car. It its heydays it rivaled BMW 3 series, Audi A4 and Mercedes C class in style and performance. Really put Acura back on the map.
Comes with a 3.2 vtec engine and 5 speed shiftable automatic and with Tech features like Bluetooth hands free , memory seating etc only common today. A very good buy, if you see one not abused..

But be prepared to frequent more at the petrol station. And i would personally avoid the first year of production(2004 model) due to transmission concerns.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by motorguru1: 1:47pm On Apr 25, 2018
Harpesin:
Nice post.

Please what is ur take on Mazda Tribute 2001 model. What are the likely issues with this model?

Then any idea of catalyst in it exhaust ? I mean the price of a good one.

Mazda Tribute( Ford Escape cheesy)....Not a bad car

I had a neighbor who owned one for 5 years and not troubles. Average build quality. forgettable styling.

I advise you go for the V6...But that is price to pay at the petrol station.....

as for the catalyst... well check local markets(Gazzuzz may be of help..)
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by motorguru1: 3:00pm On Apr 25, 2018
your questions pls
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by J0hnTrevolt(m): 3:09pm On Apr 25, 2018
motorguru1:
your questions pls
please can u help a friend decide between toyota corolla 2003 and Honda city 2007 model. Major concern is fuel economy here. Tnx
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by motorguru1: 4:49pm On Apr 25, 2018
motorguru1:

My other moniker was banned ( i am to blame)

A very nice comfortable and sporty car. It its heydays it rivaled BMW 3 series, Audi A4 and Mercedes C class in style and performance. Really put Acura back on the map.
Comes with a 3.2 vtec engine and 5 speed shiftable automatic and with Tech features like Bluetooth hands free , memory seating etc only common today. A very good buy, if you see one not abused..

But be prepared to frequent more at the petrol station. And i would personally avoid the first year of production(2004 model) due to transmission concerns.

post your concerns here
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nams77: 5:40pm On Apr 25, 2018
MotorGuru:

The W203 era...

Parts and maitenance?

Security?

Performance?
Very apt! If you have driven a Benz, u won't like to be seen behind the wheels of other brands
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by 1sttruth: 5:56pm On Apr 25, 2018
You need to drop your contact in your profile so that you can reached for the people who wish to do so

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:02am On Apr 26, 2018
1sttruth:
You need to drop your contact in your profile so that you can reached for the people who wish to do so

Shall do so sir
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:09am On Apr 26, 2018
Your automotive concerns here!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Get Your Cheap Cars From Cotonu With Original Custom Papers, new bb pin-7C85D855 / 2015 Model Ford Edge Titanium Toks Fully Loaded / Get Your Car From Cotonou Down To Your Door Step.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.