Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,836 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... - Autos (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... (26272 Views)

Insurance Services: Get Your Motor Insurance/renewal Within 5mins / Contact Us For Your Motor Spare Parts Such As Toyota,nissan,honda, Etc / How Your Motor Fluids Can Get You Killed... Must Read!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 9:52am On Jan 03, 2019
here for you
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by umennaesie: 10:23am On Jan 03, 2019
Hello good morning motor guru.
please i need guide on the following issues.
my car is Honda accord baby boy 2002 model 4 cylinder engine
1. recommended Engine oil
2. recommended ATF for it
3. Does it have AT filter and does it need replacement
4. engine vibrate some times especially first time in morning when i start the car
5. fuel economy is really not to encouraging
6. Trip A and B on odometer
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by umennaesie: 10:27am On Jan 03, 2019
Hello good morning Oga motor guru and Gazzuzz
2. recommended ATF for it. was told of MOBILE ATF/ OANDO/TOTAL ATF. but been scared and skeptical as i dont know which one was used by the former owner
4. engine vibrate some times especially first time in morning when i start the car
please need your take on this.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 11:46am On Jan 03, 2019
umennaesie:
Hello good morning Oga motor guru and Gazzuzz
2. recommended ATF for it. was told of MOBILE ATF/ OANDO/TOTAL ATF. but been scared and skeptical as i dont know which one was used by the former owner
please need your take on this.

Thank you sir for your inquiry.
1. The recommended Engine oil for your car is any reputable brand with of 5W30 grade You can contact Gazzuzz for your Engine oil as he sells original Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil of various available viscosities.
2. The ONLY recommended atf for your gearbox is Genuine Honda DW1 atf fluid. Please do not use any other fluid for your car. You can contact Luvinhubby on this forum.
3.The gearbox of your car has an AT filter but unfortunately this is not serviceable, as it is within the gearbox. This means that replacement of the filter will require gearbox removal and dismantling.
4. You might need an engine Tuneup and a cleaning of your idle control valve
5. you might need a tune up( sparkplug change, air filter etc.) also scan your car for codes to be sure your engine management system is working properly.
6. I do not understand you last point sir. Please could you explain better?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by bluejay242001(m): 12:56pm On Jan 03, 2019
Thank you so much for the way you give detail analysis of car issues.
i have honda pilot 2004. i discovered that each time i buy fuel from a particular fuel station my engine light comes on.
Also i gave my brother my car to service because i was busy he used conoil golden oil instead of mobil.....
1. what should i do
2. should i use honda-synthetic-blend-5w20-advanced-protection-engine-oil and Honda ATF- DW1 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID.
3. where can i get this honda product from...
4. is it advisable to use this
will be very grateful if u respond to my question.... Thank you and God bless you.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 1:08pm On Jan 03, 2019
bluejay242001:
Thank you so much for the way you give detail analysis of car issues.
i have honda pilot 2004. i discovered that each time i buy fuel from a particular fuel station my engine light comes on.
Also i gave my brother my car to service because i was busy he used conoil golden oil instead of mobil.....
1. what should i do
2. should i use honda-synthetic-blend-5w20-advanced-protection-engine-oil and Honda ATF- DW1 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID.
3. where can i get this honda product from...
4. is it advisable to use this
will be very grateful if u respond to my question.... Thank you and God bless you.

Thank you sir for your kind words
1. I would advise you stop buying fuel from that particular filling station. It is likely their fuel is contaminated.
2. These are proprietary fluids by Honda for Honda vehicles.You might be a bit flexible with the engine oil (by going for fully synthetic 5w20 from reputable brands like MObil1). But for the ATF fluid , please stick only to the Honda ATF DW1 fluid ONLY)
3. You can contact Gazzuzz for the Engine oil and Luvinhubby for the Honda ATF.
By the way, If you intend using Mobil and buying from any other seller, ensure that it is original to avoid engine damage. There are so many fakes out there.

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by bluejay242001(m): 2:13pm On Jan 03, 2019
thanks for your quick response... how can i get Gazzuzz.... or can u give me his contact please...
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by bluejay242001(m): 3:03pm On Jan 03, 2019
sorry i mean to say Luvinhubby contact info
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by bluejay242001(m): 6:52pm On Jan 03, 2019
i will like to get the Honda ATF DW1 and what to know the price and quantity to use
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by umennaesie: 9:54pm On Jan 03, 2019
MotorGuru:

1. The recommended Engine oil for your car is any reputable brand with of 5W30 grade You can contact Gazzuzz for your Engine oil as he sells original Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil of various available viscosities.
2. The ONLY recommended atf for your gearbox is Genuine Honda DW1 atf fluid. Please do not use any other fluid for your car. You can contact Luvinhubby on this forum.
3.The gearbox of your car has an AT filter but unfortunately this is not serviceable, as it is within the gearbox. This means that replacement of the filter will require gearbox removal and dismantling.
5. you might need a tune up( sparkplug change, air filter etc.) also scan your car for codes to be sure your engine management system is working properly.
i mean to say mileage of my car and was told by mechanic that i could use mobile ATF
needed to be sure
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by umennaesie: 9:59pm On Jan 03, 2019
MotorGuru:

thanks motor guru for your kind gesture
had my mechanic change d plugs, engine oil with mobile xhp, abro power steering fluid.
pls can i see a picture of idle control valve and it location in the engine
can i use mobile for ATF and what brand
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:54am On Jan 04, 2019
umennaesie:

thanks motor guru for your kind gesture
had my mechanic change d plugs, engine oil with mobile xhp, abro power steering fluid.
pls can i see a picture of idle control valve and it location in the engine
can i use mobile for ATF and what brand

Pls find attached the pic of the Idle control valve location on your car.
Pls sir DO NOT USE moblie atf for your car. Use only Genuine Honda DW1 ATF only.

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 9:31am On Jan 05, 2019
here for your concerns
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:36am On Jan 05, 2019
MotorGuru:
here for your concerns

Thoughts on octane boosters?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 3:30pm On Jan 05, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Thoughts on octane boosters?

Thank you sir for your comment.

The use of octane boosters has become commonplace( and by implication necessary) in Nigeria due to the influx of high end luxury cars whose engines have been designed to run on premium fuel (RON 93 or higher) for optimum engine performance and minimizing the likelihood of having pre-ignition concerns (due to very high compression ratios) when using the available fuel (RON 87 or lower grin) at our pump-stations over the country. This is because a lower octane fuel than what is recommended can damage such engines and catalytic converters in the long term as it causes ‘knocks’ or irregular ignition.

Therefore, Octane boosters are basically additives to your fuel to increase the octane number of the fuel. These additives, which may include alcohols, ether, manganese or other chemicals improve the performance of the engine in terms of either acceleration, top end speed, efficiency and horsepower.

Please note that octane boosters have negligible or no effect on low performance road-going cars. If a vehicle manufacture has recommended a RON rating 87, using octane boosters will be a waste of money.

My opinion? If your vehicle requires(not recommends) premium fuel, then you may have to use octane boosters.
In the case your vehicle requires octane boosters, ensure you buy octane boosters from reputable brands.

N.B. This is why Some Lexus brands will always be expensive in Nigeria (if you know what i mean) grin
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:37pm On Jan 05, 2019
MotorGuru:

Thank you sir for your comment.

The use of octane boosters has become commonplace( and by implication necessary) in Nigeria due to the influx of high end luxury cars whose engines have been designed to run on premium fuel (RON 93 or higher) for optimum engine performance and minimizing the likelihood of having pre-ignition concerns (due to very high compression ratios) when using the available fuel (RON 87 or lower grin) at our pump-stations over the country. This is because a lower octane fuel than what is recommended can damage such engines and catalytic converters in the long term as it causes ‘knocks’ or irregular ignition.

Therefore, Octane boosters are basically additives to your fuel to increase the octane number of the fuel. These additives, which may include alcohols, ether, manganese or other chemicals improve the performance of the engine in terms of either acceleration, top end speed, efficiency and horsepower.

Please note that octane boosters have negligible or no effect on low performance road-going cars. If a vehicle manufacture has recommended a RON rating 87, using octane boosters will be a waste of money.

My opinion? If your vehicle requires(not recommends) premium fuel, then you may have to use octane boosters.

N.B. This is why Some Lexus brands will always be expensive in Nigeria (if you know what i mean) grin
Thanks for the reply!

Are they actually effective? By how much?
Possible negative effects?
You're a technician, I think. What are your hands-on experiences with boosters?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 3:50pm On Jan 05, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Thanks for the reply!

Are they actually effective? By how much?
Possible negative effects?
You're a technician, I think. What are your hands-on experiences with boosters?

Thank you sir
as per your concerns:
1. For minimizing the risk of pre-ignition in cars that require premium fuel, they are quite effective.By how much now depends on the available brands that and their levels of efficacy.
2. Ideally, the use of octane boosters should be as a last resort. The ideal solution should be the use of premium fuel ONLY(RON 93 or higher) This is because octane boosters contains compounds that overtime clogs Fuel injectors and other fuel components which would then require periodic cleaning from time to time(if not, misfires may arise)

But this is Nigeria. Even the regular grade fuel , we are not sure if the rating is 87. + the adulterated nature of the petrol being imported into this country.

Until the classification and quality control of petrol according RON is common place, the use of Octane Boosters remains the better devil.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:53pm On Jan 05, 2019
MotorGuru:

Thank you sir
as per your concerns:
1. For minimizing the risk of pre-ignition in cars that require premium fuel, they are quite effective.By how much now depends on the available brands that and their levels of efficacy.
2. Ideally, the use of octane boosters should be as a last resort. The ideal solution should be the use of premium fuel ONLY(RON 93 or higher) This is because octane boosters contains compounds that overtime clogs Fuel injectors and other fuel components which would then require periodic cleaning from time to time(if not, misfires may arise)

But this is Nigeria. Even the regular grade fuel , we are not sure if the rating is 87. + the adulterated nature of the petrol being imported into this country.

Until the classification and quality control of petrol according RON is common place, the use of Octane Boosters remains the better devil.

Any octane booster brands you'd recommend?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by JhaayYoung: 2:14am On Jan 06, 2019
Hello sir, I got a Tokunbo Toyota 2003 Matrix with the check Engine light on . I was told it would go away after servicing . I serviced with recommended oil purchased from trusted source . Mobil 1 full synthetic . The light isn’t still off and I noticed when it is idling, there is a really slight vibration. I don’t have a scanner but I just want to know the possible causes till I get a competent mechanic shop to take it
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:38am On Jan 07, 2019
JhaayYoung:
Hello sir, I got a Tokunbo Toyota 2003 Matrix with the check Engine light on . I was told it would go away after servicing . I serviced with recommended oil purchased from trusted source . Mobil 1 full synthetic . The light isn’t still off and I noticed when it is idling, there is a really slight vibration. I don’t have a scanner but I just want to know the possible causes till I get a competent mechanic shop to take it

Sorry sir for the late response.
For your check engine light to be on, it means there is something wrong in your emissions system or power-train.
Changing engine oil may not necessarily turn it off. I suggest you go for a scan to let us know exactly what the problem is.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 1:29pm On Jan 07, 2019
here
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by JhaayYoung: 3:02pm On Jan 07, 2019
MotorGuru:

Sorry sir for the late response.
For your check engine light to be on, it means there is something wrong in your emissions system or power-train.
Changing engine oil may not necessarily turn it off. I suggest you go for a scan to let us know exactly what the problem is.

Thanks for the response , I just got a Bluetooth OBD II scanner , I will scan and drop codes here
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 3:36pm On Jan 07, 2019
JhaayYoung:

Thanks for the response , I just got a Bluetooth OBD II scanner , I will scan and drop codes here
ok sir
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by JhaayYoung: 4:32pm On Jan 07, 2019
These are the codes detected . Please, what is to be done .

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:57pm On Jan 07, 2019
Wawu, misfires across your four cylinders.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by tinnioy: 7:01pm On Jan 07, 2019
Mr Guru! What is your recommend obd2 scanner? Have you any idea about this Autel AL519 Review: Cheap AutoLink Enhanced OBD ll Scan Tool? Need advice about this if it works great. Because, I am looking for a cheap scan tool from Autel.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 9:28pm On Jan 07, 2019
JhaayYoung:
These are the codes detected . Please, what is to be done .

Sorry for the inconvience sir.

The first code P0171 implies the your engine management system is either having a serious restriction in your fuel supply system or you have a vacuum leak . this means your ecu is trying to compensate for this by adding more fuel( increasing injector/nozzle pulse width) and its threshold has been exceeded.

Check the following areas( in the following order)
1. Ensure all vacuum lines are connected and not leaking anywhere. Ensure you are not hearing any 'hissing' noise.
2. Check and ensure your fuel filter is not clogged. The ideal way to check this is by hooking up a pressure gauge in series to the fuel line. The other way is by removing the fuel pump assembly( from the fuel tank ) and separate and visually inspect the fuel filter
3.ensure you do not have leaks in your exhaust system ( particularly before the air/fuel ratio sensor).

The remaining misfire code ( misfire on all cylinders ) would imply a compromise in your fuel supply system. There may be dirt your system which might have been as a result of point 2 above and the lean code( P0171). Please note that a misfire can be caused by many things, but in this case, I would seriously look at your fuel supply system.

My advice? After point 1 has been investigated, replace your fuel filter or better, your fuel pump assembly.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by JhaayYoung: 9:52pm On Jan 07, 2019
MotorGuru:

Sorry for the inconvience sir.

The first code P0171 implies the your engine management system is either having a serious restriction in your fuel supply system or you have a vacuum leak . this means your ecu is trying to compensate for this by adding more fuel( increasing injector/nozzle pulse width) and its threshold has been exceeded.

Check the following areas( in the following order)
1. Ensure all vacuum lines are connected and not leaking anywhere. Ensure you are not hearing any 'hissing' noise.
2. Check and ensure your fuel filter is not clogged. The ideal way to check this is by hooking up a pressure gauge in series to the fuel line. The other way is by removing the fuel pump assembly( from the fuel tank ) and separate and visually inspect the fuel filter
3.ensure you do not have leaks in your exhaust system ( particularly before the air/fuel ratio sensor).

The remaining misfire code ( misfire on all cylinders ) would imply a compromise in your fuel supply system. There may be dirt your system which might have been as a result of point 2 above and the lean code( P0171). Please note that a misfire can be caused by many things, but in this case, I would seriously look at your fuel supply system.

My advice? After point 1 has been investigated, replace your fuel filter or better, your fuel pump assembly.

I think it is the first option of restriction in the fuel supplied cos of how it struggles to stay ON when in Idle .i notice it’s been guzzling fuel too. I just serviced with recommended fuel filter, so I don’t think the fuel filter is the issue .
But, I am not tech savvy. I don’t know what to do.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 9:59pm On Jan 07, 2019
JhaayYoung:

I think it is the first option of restriction in the fuel supplied cos of how it struggles to stay ON when in Idle .i notice it’s been guzzling fuel too. I just serviced with recommended fuel filter, so I don’t think the fuel filter is the issue .
But, I am not tech savvy. I don’t know what to do.

When you said service, did you mean washing the filter or outright replacement?
And when I said filter, I did not mean the screen attached to the fuel pump.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by JhaayYoung: 12:18am On Jan 08, 2019
MotorGuru:

When you said service, did you mean washing the filter or outright replacement?
And when I said filter, I did not mean the screen attached to the fuel pump.

Oh, fuel filter , my mind was programmed to oil filter ..
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:11am On Jan 08, 2019
JhaayYoung:

Oh, fuel filter , my mind was programmed to oil filter ..
ok sir.

so kindly act on it and revert
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 10:39am On Jan 08, 2019
here!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply)

2012 Mercedez Benz F700 / I Need A Full Option! 2006 Toyota Camry or 2005 Toyota Avalon / Get Your Cars From Cotonou Port With Ease: Low Milage ,clean And Good Price !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.