Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:22 AM

Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... - Car Talk (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... (62230 Views)

You Shouldn’t Own A Car If You Are A Tenant — Financial Guru Advises Nigerians / Buy & Fix Your Motor Windscreen / Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:43am On Sep 22, 2019
dru23:

Sir , I rather be safe than to be sorry... I will rather follow owners manual at all times.. The car manufacture are the ones that make the engine , so they are in a position to know better... I will not gamble with my hard earn money ... . Another example is 2010 Camry.....

Go back to the original question. This merry go round is uncalled for.

Where is motorguru sef?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by dru23(m): 8:49am On Sep 22, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

Where is motorguru sef?

Again sir, from experience or little experience... Reading is fundamental...... I will read the owners manual.. Anything outside that is a waste of time .......
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by dru23(m): 9:00am On Sep 22, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

I respectfully disagree with you sir. 20w50 will only give poor lubrication on cold start and decrease efficiency of the vvti system, if engine oil is changed say every 2,000 miles on mineral 20w50 engine will remain unaffected and can switch back and forth as he wishes.

Some manufacture will WARN YOU . Not to use 20w50. Will you now say u will still use ..

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by survivex: 1:58pm On Sep 22, 2019
Dear motor Guru,

My MdX 2007 sometimes shows check transmission mostly when I am reversing and there will be a flashing of the D- sign on the dash.

I check the transmission fluid and is a little low at the bottom of the lower dip sign instead of in between. So I asked a friend for his scanner and did a quick scan and it showed a code about transmission range switch open or short circuited.

Although when this error shows up, the car still drives smoothly without any slip, noise or drag. I don't just like to see any yellow sign on my dash.
Please what can I do to fix this.
Thanks
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Mrford(m): 4:08pm On Sep 22, 2019
Smartchoiice:
Comfort and affordability the Honda Civic Reliability Coro. Above all else Security of ownership: Honda

Thanks
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:50pm On Sep 22, 2019
survivex:
Dear motor Guru,

My MdX 2007 sometimes shows check transmission mostly when I am reversing and there will be a flashing of the D- sign on the dash.

I check the transmission fluid and is a little low at the bottom of the lower dip sign instead of in between. So I asked a friend for his scanner and did a quick scan and it showed a code about transmission range switch open or short circuited.

Although when this error shows up, the car still drives smoothly without any slip, noise or drag. I don't just like to see any yellow sign on my dash.
Thanks
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:24pm On Sep 23, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

Where is motorguru sef?

just back from my ashram grin
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:26pm On Sep 23, 2019
gokpoechi:
@MotorGuru

please what Toyota 4WD model would you recommend for an area that is usually waterlogged with lots of pot holes.

kindly take into consideration; easy maintenance, reliability and cost of engine

thank you

Highlander 2001-03 4WD
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:30pm On Sep 23, 2019
oluwaleokey:
I got a naija used car but previous owner uses 20w-50 but changes often
As directed, i opened the engine oil cover to ascertain the level of Sludge in the engine (i dont know if it works this way) however find attached the pic.

I intend to use total quartz 9000 5w-40 for some time instead of straight 5w-30 due to what has been said.
Please recommend
Cc
Motorguru
Bigkendo

This is very tricky.

The pic shown is a huge precursor to engine sludge.
Before you perform engine oil change from the 20w50, get a mechanic to open the valve cover for inspection.

if sludge is present, please stick to the 20w50

if no sludge, try mineral (or syntheitc blend ) of the 5w40, and monitor oil consumption of engine

if no consumption present, move up to 5w-30
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:30pm On Sep 23, 2019
kayphyzee:
Good morning Op, quick one please. How would you advise on resolving a P0505 error code?

Thank you.

what vehicle is this sir?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:31pm On Sep 23, 2019
topzdan:
Please I drive a Toyota Corolla 07. I recently discovered the car keeps jerking for a while whenever I mistakenly speed into potholes and I recently changed the fuel pumps, plugs. What do you advise? Thank you

check and ensure all wiring connections are in place. possibly scan for codes
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:32pm On Sep 23, 2019
milliondollas:
good day what the cost of changing the engine of this car thanks

Cc. Gazzuzz
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:34pm On Sep 23, 2019
Mrford:
Moto guru, weldone sire

Your candid advice is needed here. Which would you advice a first time user between 2006 and above Honda civic, City, and Toyota corrola.
In terms of Realiablity, comfort, and affordability

Budget is 1.5 to 1.8

your best bet would have been a Toyota Corolla,

Personally i see not much difference btw a 2005 and a 2006( both have drive by wire throttle)

so a budget of 1.8 should comfortably get you a 2005 Toyota Corolla
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:37pm On Sep 23, 2019
RealDannie:

Hey Boss,

I'll like to know the price range of the 02 sensor because my car is consuming much fuel, got the code 1 fixed and the panel beater said I should not worry about the code 2 but I noticed that I use more fuel than usual.

Please advise.

when last did you perform a tuneup( spearkplug change, air filter etc)

also when scanning , check and post short term fuel trims(STFT) and long term fuel trims(LTFT) here
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:39pm On Sep 23, 2019
RealDannie:

Morning Boss,

Took it for repair last week and they claimed that code 1 has been fixed that everything is fine but I noticed that I used more fuel during the week and went for another scan only for me to get about 8 error codes including the previous ones.

Please help
P0420
P0142
P0143
P0606
P0136
P0137
P0138
P0113

Now this is worrysome.

clear codes, and drive vehicle till codes come up again

then rescan
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:40pm On Sep 23, 2019
tojahh:
Please

Scan my Honda civic 2003 car and I got this.

P0730

What's the way forward uncles?

are you experiencing very hard shifting?

this might be calling for a transmission servicing.

get a tech that will clean up your soleniods...then you are good to go
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:41pm On Sep 23, 2019
Smartchoiice:

Diesel flush it. And refill.
hmm.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:45pm On Sep 23, 2019
survivex:
Dear motor Guru,

Thanks

get an electrician/tech to correct this problem and you are good to go

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by oluwaleokey: 1:48pm On Sep 23, 2019
MotorGuru:

This is very tricky.

The pic shown is a huge precursor to engine sludge.
Before you perform engine oil change from the 20w50, get a mechanic to open the valve cover for inspection.

if sludge is present, please stick to the 20w50

if no sludge, try mineral (or syntheitc blend ) of the 5w40, and monitor oil consumption of engine

if no consumption present, move up to 5w-30

Thank you
Will get a mechanic to carry out the inspection.
Thank you sir
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by oluwaleokey: 1:52pm On Sep 23, 2019
kingreign:

Don't try this, continue using your 20W50, if you diesel flush it, it will start smoking and ultimately get knocked.

nawa o
Thank you sir
Will adhere to your advize
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by RealDannie(m): 2:53pm On Sep 23, 2019
MotorGuru:

when last did you perform a tuneup( spearkplug change, air filter etc)

also when scanning , check and post short term fuel trims(STFT) and long term fuel trims(LTFT) here

OK boss,

I have not changed the sparkplug or air filter, git the car (tokunbo) July 22nd

Please how do check for the STFT and LTFT
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by RealDannie(m): 2:53pm On Sep 23, 2019
MotorGuru:

Now this is worrysome.

clear codes, and drive vehicle till codes come up again

then rescan

OK boss
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 23, 2019
I went to buy a car as low as 300k.... I saw some clean Mitsubishi products as low as 200k,NY mechanic said the products are sh!ts.. I have to listen to him. Saw a Peugeot 306 of 350k,my mechanic said its old model... What do u guys suggest
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 4:17pm On Sep 23, 2019
xscoffy:
I went to buy a car as low as 300k.... I saw some clean Mitsubishi products as low as 200k,NY mechanic said the products are sh!ts.. I have to listen to him. Saw a Peugeot 306 of 350k,my mechanic said its old model... What do u guys suggest

I think you are interested in something that will serve you well. unfortunately the budget proposed may not give you your heart desire.
i would advise you save up some more and get something more reliable.

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by kayphyzee(m): 4:38pm On Sep 23, 2019
MotorGuru:

what vehicle is this sir?

Rav4 2001
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by tojahh(m): 9:18pm On Sep 23, 2019
MotorGuru:

are you experiencing very hard shifting?

tech that will clean ups...then you are good to go

Gear Master said he will have to drop the gear as the gear filter in embedded on the gear and not easily accessible like Toyota's.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by bromama675: 2:23am On Sep 24, 2019
MotorGuru:

Sorry sir for the predicament.

I will seriously advise that you take the car for a diagnostic scan. It is very likely you have a defective ECU/ brainbox. This is a common issue with 2001 to 2003 Toyota rav4s. Driving the car like that will ultimately damage the gearbox mechanically. If after scanning, you have transmission related codes, then you will have to replace the brain box or repair it. Pls stop driving the car for now.

Please, do consider having your mechanic clean the filter.
If that doesn't fix issue, then a thorough check on the switch linkage would be required
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:44am On Sep 24, 2019
kayphyzee:
Dear MotorGuru,

My issue has to do with the transmission of a 2001 Rav4 that I just got. After purchase, I had my mechanic drain the transmission fluid inside and replace with Toyota Type T-IV. I decided to take it with me on the family Christmas trip and noticed that it wouldn't go beyond gear 3 (80km/hr at 3100rpm). Even when I fire up to 4000rpm, it still wouldn't engage gear 4. All through the trip, I left the speed at 80km/hr (3100rpm).

Apart from that issue, I noticed that the Reverse gear when engaged would sometimes give noticeable jerks and the accelerator depressed. Other times, it moves fine.

I'd like your opinion on what's going on and how to rectify same. Many thanks.

scan and replace knock sensor
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Nobody: 7:16am On Sep 24, 2019
MotorGuru:

I think you are interested in something that will serve you well. unfortunately the budget proposed may not give you your heart desire.
i would advise you save up some more and get something more reliable.

Thanks a lot boss but what do u think about Peugeot products
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by kayphyzee(m): 7:25am On Sep 24, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

scan and replace knock sensor

Morning Oga Gazzuzz, the issue has been resolved. It was a wiring issue that caused it.

Thanks for your response though.

I am looking at resolving a P0505 - IACV issue now. Torn between buying a complete throttle body (or just the IACV) or just cleaning the present one. I tried a DIY but the cleaning was not thorough (lack of tools and throttle cleaner).
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by tayoccu(m): 4:43pm On Sep 24, 2019
Please I'd like to know if mitsubishi Attrage is ideal for e-hailing, I'd like to know if it's rugged, and how easy it is to maintain.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by martyns200(m): 4:11am On Sep 25, 2019
Good morning, pls what sort of brake pad is to be used on an 05 corolla

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (34) (Reply)

This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society / Volkswagen Says Goodbye To Iconic Beetle (ijapa) With This Emotional Video / Would You Buy This Joystick & Butt-Shaped Car? (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.