Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,233 members, 7,811,649 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:35 PM

Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... - Car Talk (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... (62090 Views)

You Shouldn’t Own A Car If You Are A Tenant — Financial Guru Advises Nigerians / Buy & Fix Your Motor Windscreen / Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by ojeysky(m): 9:35am On Sep 25, 2019
So my HL is recently throwing the attached error code, anyone with experience on how to resolve this? Hopefully it's a DIY process

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by tojahh(m): 12:48pm On Sep 25, 2019
Abeg how much is transmission for Honda civic 2003?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by seyimii: 4:43pm On Sep 29, 2019
Please, can mitsubishi space wagon gdi engine work with the intank fuel pump only after disconnecting the secondary pump on top of the engine. My mechanic said this is possible but i believe there will be inefficiency in the running of the engine.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by seyimii: 7:43pm On Sep 29, 2019
seyimii:
Please, can mitsubishi space wagon gdi engine work with the intank fuel pump only after disconnecting the secondary pump on top of the engine. My mechanic said this is possible but i believe there will be inefficiency in the running of the engine.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by VolvoS60(m): 1:26am On Oct 01, 2019
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota RAV4
Engine: 1 AZ FE (2.0 Litre in-line 4)
Mileage: 129,610 km
Transmission: Auto

Problem: How to carry out proper Toyota approved transmission service?

I did a transmission drain and refill three years ago with WS ATF at about 119,000 km or so. The ATF at the moment is not black but it isn't red either - it is somewhere in between. It doesn't smell burnt and there's no sign of metallic residue on the transmission dipstick. I want to go beyond a standard drain and refill because of the large volume of ATF left untouched in the system when one is performed - is there really any point when over half of the old ATF is still in the system after a so called drain and refill? undecided

I do not want to use transmission flush machines for a few reasons. There are a few online videos which recommend disconnecting the cooler lines during a drain and refill in order to get all of the old ATF out - but not a single mechanic I have contacted is willing to go through with this. I want to stop problems before they start so I am very keen on doing the cooler lines thing. Any ideas? What does the Toyota FSM say?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nurey(m): 6:54am On Oct 01, 2019
VolvoS60:
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota RAV4
Engine: 1 AZ FE (2.0 Litre in-line 4)
Mileage: 129,610 km
Transmission: Auto

Problem: How to carry out proper Toyota approved transmission service?

I did a transmission drain and refill three years ago with WS ATF at about 119,000 km or so. The ATF at the moment is not black but it isn't red either - it is somewhere in between. It doesn't smell burnt and there's no sign of metallic residue on the transmission dipstick. I want to go beyond a standard drain and refill because of the large volume of ATF left untouched in the system when one is performed - is there really any point when over half of the old ATF is still in the system after a so called drain and refill? undecided

I do not want to use transmission flush machines for a few reasons. There are a few online videos which recommend disconnecting the cooler lines during a drain and refill in order to get all of the old ATF out - but not a single mechanic I have contacted is willing to go through with this. I want to stop problems before they start so I am very keen on doing the cooler lines thing. Any ideas? What does the Toyota FSM say?

Is that all? why giving yourself headache over small thing.

Option 1
Buy 3X the quantity of refill you need, after first refill drive a distance of 100km by then the fluid would have gone several circles mixing together then drain and refill. Second refill should go through 1000km or a month then drain again and refill by then you should have a greater % of the old fluid gone. Ensure your change interval is reduced (yearly) if you intend to reduce the drain refill headache.

Option 2
These is easy but risky if the required expertise isn't available.
jack up the drive wheels, get your refill hose and funnel ready, get a gutter for drain, now start the vehicle and move the gear lever to drive.
while the fluid is draining, refill continuously and observe the fluid draining out. Once it becomes crystal clean then you know all old oil is out and fresh one remains. Couple back, fill oil to required level and guage.

NOTE: You should not have a Volvo moniker and be driving a Toyota what kind of foundation are you laying down for future generations?

4 Likes

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:08am On Oct 01, 2019
nurey:

Option 1
Buy 3X the quantity of refill you need, after first refill drive a distance of 100km by then the fluid would have gone several circles mixing together then drain and refill. Second refill should go through 1000km or a month then drain again and refill by then you should have a greater % of the old fluid gone. Ensure your change interval is reduced (yearly) if you intend to reduce the drain refill headache.

Option 2
jack up the drive wheels, get your refill hose and funnel ready, get a gutter for drain, now start the vehicle and move the gear lever to drive.
while the fluid is draining, refill continuously and observe the fluid draining out. Once it becomes crystal clean then you know all old oil is out and fresh one remains. Couple back, fill oil to required level and guage.

NOTE: You should not have a Volvo moniker and be driving a Toyota what kind of foundation are you laying down for future generations?

3 Likes

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by VolvoS60(m): 8:27am On Oct 02, 2019
nurey:

Option 1

Option 2

^^
Thanks for the reply.

Option 1 is a bit inefficient. ATF isn't exactly cheap so doing several drain and refill cycles to get all the old, dirty fluid out will be expensive.

Option 2 is more like it. I take it you have done this on your own vehicle or had it done? Did you disconnect the cooler lines or you let the dirty oil out through the transmission oil pan/sump?

On the issue of a volvo moniker... grin... You chilrens didn't haff respect...grin

Your case is better than the other volvo guy on this forum though - he actually was considering getting me arrested for impersonation or something because of this volvo moniker matter. grin. Very angry fellow cheesy.

I love both Toyotas (cast iron reliability and solid engineering design/production) and Volvos (unique styling and ergonomics light years ahead of the competition). There's enough room in the sky for all birds to fly...

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by VolvoS60(m): 8:29am On Oct 02, 2019
Any one with ideas or experience on this full drain and refill thing should chime in. There's a lot riding on this for me.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by valarinz: 8:41am On Oct 02, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^
Thanks for the reply.

Option 1 is a bit inefficient. ATF isn't exactly cheap so doing several drain and refill cycles to get all the old, dirty fluid out will be expensive.

Option 2 is more like it. I take it you have done this on your own vehicle or had it done? Did you disconnect the cooler lines?

On the issue of a volvo moniker... grin... You chilrens didn't haff respect...grin

Your case is better than the other volvo guy on this forum though - he actually was considering getting me arrested for impersonation or something because of this volvo moniker matter. grin. Very angry fellow cheesy.

I love both Toyotas (cast iron reliability and solid engineering design/production) and Volvos (unique styling and ergonomics light years ahead of the competition). There's enough room in the sky for all birds to fly...

Why don't you type my moniker and say your mind directly? You scared of something?

As for the bolded, what an irony coming from someone who's more angry than the whole of Nigeria combined, always fighting and doing oversabi on almost every thread on NL, don't forget I'm following you, I see your fights on a daily, whoever doubts can go through both our posts and see who's actually the angry one

Pls stay in your lane, it's a new month

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:55am On Oct 02, 2019
#cyberpeace

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by VolvoS60(m): 9:42am On Oct 02, 2019
valarinz:

Why don't you type my moniker and sat your mind directly? You scared of something?

As for the bolded, what an irony coming from someone who's more angry than the whole of Nigeria combined, always fighting and doing oversabi on almost every thread on NL, don't forget I'm following you, I see your fights on a daily, whoever doubts can go through both our posts and see who's actually the angry one

Pls stay in your lane, it's a new month

^^^^
Dear oh dear...

It seems I touched a raw nerve.

For the record, I don't do online feuds. Life's too short for that sort of thing.

If you go through my posts on this thread, you can see the emoticons I used. Those emoticons provide context and nuance. They prove its friendly banter - even though I don't know and have never met the guy I was discussing with. I can take a joke without getting offended, Sir. (up to a point though wink)

Rather odd - your description of me as angrier than the entire country! cheesy Even more odd is your claim about my 'oversabi' on multiple threads grin. Why is it you never contributed to or set me right on those multiple threads? Wouldn't that make more sense? undecided

I have other interests apart from autos. I speak up on serious issues on other threads that affect me and others around me. If you term that as 'fighting', there's nothing I can do about that, unfortunately. Besides, why are you following me - just to pick fights of your own on trivialities? undecided I don't have the time or the energy for that.

You are right about one thing - it is a new month. Too early for me to start it on this note. Do have a good day, Sir. wink

3 Likes

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by valarinz: 9:47am On Oct 02, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^^^
Dear oh dear...

It seems I touched a raw nerve.

For the record, I don't do online feuds. Life's too short for that sort of thing.

If you go through my posts on this thread, you can see the emoticons I used. Those emoticons provide context and nuance. They prove its friendly banter - even though I don't know and have never met the guy I was discussing with. I can take a joke without getting offended, Sir. (up to a point though wink)

Rather odd - your description of me as angrier than the entire country! cheesy Even more odd is your claim about my 'oversabi' on multiple threads grin. Why is it you never contributed to or set me right on those multiple threads? Wouldn't that make more sense? undecided

I have other interests apart from autos. I speak up on serious issues on other threads that affect me and others around me. If you term that as 'fighting', there's nothing I can do about that, unfortunately. Besides, why are you following me - just to pick fights of your own on trivialities? undecided I don't have the time or the energy for that.

You are right about one thing - it is a new month. Too early for me to start it on this note. Do have a good day, Sir. wink

I follow you cos you have a username I'm attached to, sorry but you can change it to Toyotacorolla and I'll unfollow.

The bolded last paragraph will do just fine this early morning.

Cheers
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Henrygreat212(m): 11:35pm On Oct 02, 2019
Please House good evening... I drive Lexus 350 2010 model.. but after parking the car for 3 weeks without warning or driving it, my car just developed fault. It just just started showing check engine, Check 4WD sign, then even with hard throttling it won't speed pass someone walking... Urgent response on what I should do next and how/where to resolve this issue will be highly appreciated.. Thanks House
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by babyboy4every1: 12:02pm On Oct 04, 2019
Motoguru, nurey & co. Pls help. My almera tino nw consumes fuel. From abk to sango (to &fro)) is 1700 fuel, when traffic is heavy i used up 2k fuel. Bt nw i uses 2500 &with heavy hold up, i uses 3k fuel. The throttle is not the cable typn. It uses wire. I had chnged the air flow sensor, change all plugs, all to no avail. What else cld cause that? pls note that, i got the car wt both 02 sensors codes showned wen scanned & that ws due to d catalyst beign removed. And i'd been using it for 5months. And it was fine like that until recently when it started gulping fuel.
2. PLS, what would u advice btw a 2005 toyota avensis verso petro &diesel. With d current prices of diesel &petrol, which one wld i spend less on fuelling dem. Thanks sir's.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nurey(m): 2:25pm On Oct 04, 2019
babyboy4every1:
Motoguru, nurey & co. Pls help. My almera tino nw consumes fuel. From abk to sango (to &fro)) is 1700 fuel, when traffic is heavy i used up 2k fuel. Bt nw i uses 2500 &with heavy hold up, i uses 3k fuel. The throttle is not the cable typn. It uses wire. I had chnged the air flow sensor, change all plugs, all to no avail. What else cld cause that? pls note that, i got the car wt both 02 sensors codes showned wen scanned & that ws due to d catalyst beign removed. And i'd been using it for 5months. And it was fine like that until recently when it started gulping fuel.
2. PLS, what would u advice btw a 2005 toyota avensis verso petro &diesel. With d current prices of diesel &petrol, which one wld i spend less on fuelling dem. Thanks sir's.

for the Tino please scan the vehicle and work with codes. If the vehicle check engine isn't showing then do the fuel economy test by buying full tank, drive a 100km and then full tank, the amount of fuel after the 100km is what you use then we compare it with the recommended and see whether it is negligible or not.

For No2, the Diesel Engine would give better MPG the disadvantage is a wrong technician for repairs can turn the vehicle to scrap. If you have a good diesel techcy and you don't buy adulterated diesel you will save alot on a diesel vehicle
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nonhuman(m): 4:26pm On Oct 04, 2019
nurey:

for the Tino please scan the vehicle and work with codes. If the vehicle check engine isn't showing then do the fuel economy test by buying full tank, drive a 100km and then full tank, the amount of fuel after the 100km is what you use then we compare it with the recommended and see whether it is negligible or not.

For No2, the Diesel Engine would give better MPG the disadvantage is a wrong technician for repairs can turn the vehicle to scrap. If you have a good diesel techcy and you don't buy adulterated diesel you will save alot on a diesel vehicle
please explain the fuel economy test again, o am experiencing same problem with my Hyundai
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nurey(m): 5:17pm On Oct 04, 2019
nonhuman:
please explain the fuel economy test again, o am experiencing same problem with my Hyundai

okay every car manufacturer has a set parameter for fuel economy for 100km.

To calculate fuel economy you buy full tank, then revert your trip A or trip B to zero and then drive till it reaches 100km, then back to the fueling station to refill again, the amount of Litres you refill to full tank again record it (would be visible on fuel dispensing machine)

That Litres is what you will compare with manufacturer stats to know if your Engine is in good working conditions or not.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nonhuman(m): 5:57pm On Oct 04, 2019
nurey:

okay every car manufacturer has a set parameter for fuel economy for 100km.

To calculate fuel economy you buy full tank, then revert your trip A or trip B to zero and then drive till it reaches 100km, then back to the fueling station to refill again, the amount of Litres you refill to full tank again record it (would be visible on fuel dispensing machine)

That Litres is what you will compare with manufacturer stats to know if your Engine is in good working conditions or not.
how will I know the manufacturer s fuel paremeter
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by searchng4love: 7:36pm On Oct 04, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^
Thanks for the reply.

Option 2 is more like it. I take it you have done this on your own vehicle or had it done? Did you disconnect the cooler lines or you let the dirty oil out through the transmission oil pan/sump?

valarinz is more than an angry guy with his band of volvo zealots......... I tell you

3 Likes

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nurey(m): 7:50pm On Oct 04, 2019
nonhuman:
how will I know the manufacturer s fuel paremeter

What is the make and model of your vehicle. Also put year and Engine type
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by ebhohon: 9:00pm On Oct 04, 2019
How do I resolve the challenge of my inability to see far at night with 1997 toyota camry headlight
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Billiebaba(m): 1:14am On Oct 05, 2019
If you can remove them and wash with detergent, and get a new bulbs, if the ones there are not ok
ebhohon:
How do I resolve the challenge of my inability to see far at night with 1997 toyota camry headlight
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by IWealthCreator: 1:42am On Oct 05, 2019
Please i urgently need the digit of a mechanic at ladipo to do an engine installation, i am having reservation with regards to someone that is supposed to handle the job today.

urgent
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nonhuman(m): 2:11pm On Oct 05, 2019
nurey:

What is the make and model of your vehicle. Also put year and Engine type
Hyundai Tucson 2008, 4plug, engine capacity is 2.0L, sorry for the late reply
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nurey(m): 3:03pm On Oct 05, 2019
nonhuman:
Hyundai Tucson 2008, 4plug, engine capacity is 2.0L, sorry for the late reply

5.8L/100km highway

8.7L/100km city
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nonhuman(m): 3:19pm On Oct 05, 2019
nurey:

5.8L/100km highway

8.7L/100km city
ok thanks, will check it and get back to you
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by sollex(m): 11:23pm On Oct 05, 2019
Hi House Good evening.
Please i need urgent advice. Kerosene was mistakenly poured into the fuel tank of a Honda odyssey car. Is there any solutions available to solve it? Or is it not going to be harmful to the car?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nurey(m): 5:38am On Oct 06, 2019
sollex:
Hi House Good evening.
Please i need urgent advice. Kerosene was mistakenly poured into the fuel tank of a Honda odyssey car. Is there any solutions available to solve it? Or is it not going to be harmful to the car?

If it is a very minute quantity, a fraction would end up as carbon on the Piston and plugs while other fractions would escape as black smoke through the exhaust.

If it is plenty, it would flood the Engine causing drivability issues. solution is to drop the fuel tank and remove the fuel also cleaning the fuel pump and filter.

2 Likes

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nonhuman(m): 6:22pm On Oct 06, 2019
nurey:

5.8L/100km highway

8.7L/100km city
the car already consumed 9 liters in las than 30km
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nurey(m): 6:41pm On Oct 06, 2019
nonhuman:
the car already consumed 9 liters in las than 30km

whao that is epic.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by ebhohon: 7:21pm On Oct 06, 2019
Billiebaba:
If you can remove them and wash with detergent, and get a new bulbs, if the ones there are not ok
I have washed it twice by the spray Painter but has not worked.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (34) (Reply)

Can You Enter This Kind Of Bus With Your Clear Eyes? (photo) / A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.