Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,756 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... - Car Talk (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... (62237 Views)

You Shouldn’t Own A Car If You Are A Tenant — Financial Guru Advises Nigerians / Buy & Fix Your Motor Windscreen / Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by gokpoechi(m): 11:17am On Sep 04, 2019
@MotorGuru

please what Toyota 4WD model would you recommend for an area that is usually waterlogged with lots of pot holes.

kindly take into consideration; easy maintenance, reliability and cost of engine

thank you
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by oluwaleokey: 11:04pm On Sep 04, 2019
I got a naija used car but previous owner uses 20w-50 but changes often
As directed, i opened the engine oil cover to ascertain the level of Sludge in the engine (i dont know if it works this way) however find attached the pic.

I intend to use total quartz 9000 5w-40 for some time instead of straight 5w-30 due to what has been said.
Please recommend
Cc
Motorguru
Bigkendo

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by kingreign(m): 8:48am On Sep 05, 2019
gokpoechi:
@MotorGuru

please what Toyota 4WD model would you recommend for an area that is usually waterlogged with lots of pot holes.

kindly take into consideration; easy maintenance, reliability and cost of engine

thank you
4runner, land cruiser, Prado, Tacoma, tundra, hilux.

None comes cheap, parts aren't cheap either
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by kayphyzee(m): 7:19am On Sep 07, 2019
Good morning Op, quick one please. How would you advise on resolving a P0505 error code?

Thank you.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by topzdan(m): 10:36am On Sep 07, 2019
Please I drive a Toyota Corolla 07. I recently discovered the car keeps jerking for a while whenever I mistakenly speed into potholes and I recently changed the fuel pumps, plugs. What do you advise? Thank you
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by milliondollas(m): 10:09pm On Sep 07, 2019
good day what the cost of changing the engine of this car thanks

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by ojeysky(m): 11:20am On Sep 10, 2019
gokpoechi:
@MotorGuru

thank you

Highlander is a good one, if you can get the I4 fine else you can do the v6
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by gokpoechi(m): 10:21am On Sep 11, 2019
ojeysky:

Highlander is a good one, if you can get the I4 fine else you can do the v6

thank you for your response. i have never seen the I4 on a 4WD, it usually comes on a FWD/2WD

I am completely avoiding a FWD/2WD, as i don't want to get stuck in sand or mud.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by ojeysky(m): 1:54pm On Sep 11, 2019
gokpoechi:

thank you for your response. i have never seen the I4 on a 4WD, it usually comes on a FWD/2WD

I am completely avoiding a FWD/2WD, as i don't want to get stuck in sand or mud.

Yeah it's very scarce but there is indeed 4wd i4, check copart you still find them. You may PM me if you need direct URL
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Mrford(m): 8:00pm On Sep 13, 2019
Moto guru, weldone sire

Your candid advice is needed here. Which would you advice a first time user between 2006 and above Honda civic, City, and Toyota corrola.
In terms of Realiablity, comfort, and affordability

Budget is 1.5 to 1.8
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by RealDannie(m): 9:55pm On Sep 13, 2019
MotorGuru:

Your catalytic converter is not working efficiently.(code 1)

Your Post catalytic(after catalyst) O2 sensor is bad.(code 2)

I would say work on Code 2 first.

Hey Boss,

I'll like to know the price range of the 02 sensor because my car is consuming much fuel, got the code 1 fixed and the panel beater said I should not worry about the code 2 but I noticed that I use more fuel than usual.

Please advise.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by RealDannie(m): 10:30am On Sep 15, 2019
MotorGuru:

Your catalytic converter is not working efficiently.(code 1)

Your Post catalytic(after catalyst) O2 sensor is bad.(code 2)

I would say work on Code 2 first.

Morning Boss,

Took it for repair last week and they claimed that code 1 has been fixed that everything is fine but I noticed that I used more fuel during the week and went for another scan only for me to get about 8 error codes including the previous ones.

Please help
P0420
P0142
P0143
P0606
P0136
P0137
P0138
P0113
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by tojahh(m): 3:40pm On Sep 17, 2019
Please

Scan my Honda civic 2003 car and I got this.

P0730

What's the way forward uncles?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by greatsly: 7:41pm On Sep 17, 2019
Please,

Is anyone conversant with Saturn outlook SUV. The 2009 model.

I want to know the kind of Engine it uses and which popular brand in Nigeria does it shear the same Engine type with.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by hapheeyxz: 6:43am On Sep 22, 2019
Mrford:
Moto guru, weldone sire

Your candid advice is needed here. Which would you advice a first time user between 2006 and above Honda civic, City, and Toyota corrola.

Budget is 1.5 to 1.8

MotorGuru

Y una kon abandon this thread now...

Abeg, attend to questions o.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Nobody: 7:02am On Sep 22, 2019
tojahh:
Please

Scan my Honda civic 2003 car and I got this.

P0730

What's the way forward uncles?

Error Code P0730 is described as Incorrect Gear Ratio. This means the automatic transmission is experiencing a problem, which is usually caused by dirty transmission fluid or problems with shift solenoids.

I had this issue with my Mercedes Benz. After some investigation I discovered that the replacement gear was not bad but it was for another car model. Hence incompatible with my own Benz model.

Was your gear replaced? If not follow the explanation above
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Nobody: 7:05am On Sep 22, 2019
milliondollas:
good day what the cost of changing the engine of this car thanks
Provide a clear engine picture. That's an European Corolla
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Nobody: 7:07am On Sep 22, 2019
oluwaleokey:
As directed, i opened the engine oil cover to ascertain the level of Sludge in the engine (i dont know if it works this way) however find attached the pic.

I intend to use total quartz 9000 5w-40 for some time instead of straight 5w-30 due to what has been said.
Please recommend
Cc
Motorguru
Bigkendo
Diesel flush it. And refill.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Nobody: 7:09am On Sep 22, 2019
thebigkendo:

If in lagos.. Search nairaland for any of the following
Autologic
Oluwaseunla
Radautoworks
Gazzuzz
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Nobody: 7:12am On Sep 22, 2019
Mrford:
Moto guru, weldone sire

Budget is 1.5 to 1.8
Comfort and affordability the Honda Civic
Reliability Coro.
Above all else Security of ownership: Honda
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:13am On Sep 22, 2019
oluwaleokey:

Please recommend
Cc
Motorguru
Bigkendo

You cannot tell from the cover, I repeat you cannot tell from the cover, look deeper into the valve cover area, or open it entirely to see the complete valve area
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Nobody: 7:16am On Sep 22, 2019
tboydbrave:
Would appreciate your opinion on which car model would b adequate. Am budget is 800k. Thank you sir.
Passat is a very car. Try bettycars. Your budget is close to what he's seeking for a toks Passat. It's a super car

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by tojahh(m): 7:24am On Sep 22, 2019
Smartchoiice:

Error Code P0730 is described as Incorrect Gear Ratio. This means the automatic transmission is experiencing a problem, which is usually caused by dirty transmission fluid or problems with shift solenoids.

I had this issue with my Mercedes Benz. After some investigation I discovered that the replacement gear was not bad but it was for another car model. Hence incompatible with my own Benz model.

Was your gear replaced? If not follow the explanation above

God bless you bro. You actually described it.
The cause was bad seloniod and worn oil. So I took it for servicing and replacement of shifts. Now we are good.

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by dru23(m): 7:48am On Sep 22, 2019
MyMouth:
Pls I jus got a Corolla 2004, the lady I got it from has been servicing with Mobil 20w50 and using water instead of coolant. Pls is it ok for me to continue with the oil? As for coolant, I intend to start using one, which one should I buy? And should I add it to the water in the radiator?or I have to drain all the water first?

My brother it is too late..20w50 is the wrong oil for that car.. Continue using 20w50 oil until the engine finally gives up. 20w50 should have never been used.. You will need to get a new engine .. And once u do that follow owner's manual and use 5w30..
Coolant issue ..It is too late to start using coolant now . Am sure the damage is already done.. No point, continue using water.. Once u a ready to change engine ,have them check the radiator .. If it looks good ,than start using genuine coolant.... Good luck
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by dru23(m): 7:58am On Sep 22, 2019
oluwaleokey:

Please recommend
Cc
Motorguru
Bigkendo

Have preached this so many times.. 20w50 is totally wrong oil for the car.. If your car is a Toyota especially a corolla.. For all types of temperature 5w30 is the recommended per owners manual... a lot of uneducated and road side mechanic will tell you 20w50 is the rite oil, even though the owners manual states 5w30. They will tell they have been using 20w50 and their car runs ok ..but due to their ignorance they are burning more fuel..
Bottom line is just a matter of time before you will need engine replacement ..Continue using the 20w50 or 5w40 till the engine smokes out.. Once you get a tokunbo engine , you can than start with proper oil grade ..
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Nobody: 8:02am On Sep 22, 2019
dru23:

Have preached this so many times.. 20w50 is totally wrong oil for the car.. If your car is a Toyota especially a corolla.. For all types of temperature 5w30 is the recommended per owners manual... a lot of uneducated and road side mechanic will tell you 20w50 is the rite oil, even though the owners manual states 5w30. They will tell they have been using 20w50 and their car runs ok ..but due to their ignorance they are burning more fuel..
Bottom line is just a matter of time before you will need engine replacement ..Continue using the 20w50 or 5w40 till the engine smokes out.. Once you get a tokunbo engine , you can than start with proper oil grade ..

You forgot market your products

[img]https://media1./images/d8305dde14424a25518e862786161125/tenor.gif?itemid=5457118[/img]
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by dru23(m): 8:05am On Sep 22, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

You cannot tell from the cover, I repeat you cannot tell from the cover, look deeper into the valve cover area, or open it entirely to see the complete valve area

For the fact that the previous owner has been using 20w50, the damage has already been done... If the car is a Toyota or corolla ..5w30 is the rite oil regardless of weather conditions or how hot or cold the weather is ..now let's take for an example owner manual of the most popular car driven on Nigeria road ...A corolla 2003 to 2005 Corolla . So whether sludge or no sludge damage has been done ..or better fuel economy has been comprised due to fact that 20w50 is too thick .. And one of the major reasons why people are crazy about corolla is because it is good on fuel ....

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by dru23(m): 8:16am On Sep 22, 2019
Smartchoiice:

You forgot market your products

[img]https://media1./images/d8305dde14424a25518e862786161125/tenor.gif?itemid=5457118[/img]

Marketing and stating facts go hand in hand.. I was very ignorant at first and didn't get my facts rite ..but after during researching the answers I was looking for or the facts that I was looking for was rite under my nose .. The owners manual.. Which u can easily be found onGoogle rite from Toyota.. It cost zero dollars to look it up..
I mention how my old manager was using 20w50 oil for my Elantra and I end up selling most of my cars.. So below is the owners manual of an 07 Elantra.....

..... READING IS FUNDAMENTAL ...........READ YOUR CAR OWNERS MANUAL AT ALL TIMES.........

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by kingreign(m): 8:23am On Sep 22, 2019
oluwaleokey:

Please recommend
Cc
Motorguru
Bigkendo

Smartchoiice:

Diesel flush it. And refill.

Don't try this, continue using your 20W50, if you diesel flush it, it will start smoking and ultimately get knocked.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MyMouth(m): 8:26am On Sep 22, 2019
dru23:

My brother it is too late..20w50 is the wrong oil for that car.. Continue using 20w50 oil until the engine finally gives up. 20w50 should have never been used.. You will need to get a new engine .. And once u do that follow owner's manual and use 5w30..
Coolant issue ..It is too late to start using coolant now . Am sure the damage is already done.. No point, continue using water.. Once u a ready to change engine ,have them check the radiator .. If it looks good ,than start using genuine coolant.... Good luck
m
Chei! shocked thanks very much bro!
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:34am On Sep 22, 2019
dru23:

For the fact that the previous owner has been using 20w50, the damage has already been done... If the car is a Toyota or corolla ..5w30 is the rite oil regardless of weather conditions or how hot or cold the weather is ..now let's take for an example owner manual of the most popular car driven on Nigeria road ...A corolla 2003 to 2005 Corolla . So whether sludge or no sludge damage has been done ..or better fuel economy has been comprised due to fact that 20w50 is too thick .. And one of the major reasons why people are crazy about corolla is because it is good on fuel ....

I respectfully disagree with you sir. 20w50 will only give poor lubrication on cold start and decrease efficiency of the vvti system, if engine oil is changed say every 2,000 miles on mineral 20w50 engine will remain unaffected and can switch back and forth as he wishes.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by dru23(m): 8:41am On Sep 22, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

I respectfully disagree with you sir. 20w50 will only give poor lubrication on cold start and decrease efficiency of the vvti system, if engine oil is changed say every 2,000 miles on mineral 20w50 engine will remain unaffected and can switch back and forth as he wishes.

Sir , I rather be safe than to be sorry... I will rather follow owners manual at all times.. The car manufacture are the ones that make the engine , so they are in a position to know better... I will not gamble with my hard earn money ... . Another example is 2010 Camry..... And you can honestly tell me using 20w50 oil will not result in bad mpg

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (34) (Reply)

This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society / Volkswagen Says Goodbye To Iconic Beetle (ijapa) With This Emotional Video / Would You Buy This Joystick & Butt-Shaped Car? (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.