Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? (52435 Views)

Abia Government Uncovers ‘japa’ Doctors Still Collecting Salaries / Governor Otti: Japa Doctors Still Recieving Salaries In Abia State / Doctors STILL Can’t Treat 2-week-old Baby With A Never-before-seen Brain Tumor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by mu2sa2: 7:00am On May 13, 2018
Deltayankeeboi:
I didn't bother to read because my mind told me the post is a complete trash.

modified: my mind was right afterall. the post is trash

seriously what's with these ish about doctors stay in nigeria, doctors travel to europe, doctors do this,doctors do that. i mean y'all should fvcking stop these nonsense talks. i have two cousin doctors. big working class doctors, one already owns his own hospital at asaba, the other just got married and bought his first house. They are both doing well here.

Stop twisting people's mind with these stupid posts on nairaland.
If you want to work in nigeria as a doctor, good for you.
If you want to travel abroad, good for you too.
Stop giving us unproven facts like 1 doctor to 6000 nigerians, those are all estimates does not mean it is happening in reality.

everyone wants to leave the country if opportuned so what's the biggie about doctors leaving in particular.

if you are a doctor and not comfortable here, take your license & move. Nobody cares
I concur. The world is a global village now. If you want to leave nigeria, bye bye and good luck, but you don't have to paint the country black. There are many good hospitals and great professionals in nigeria that Buhari and others in govt can patronize.

3 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Harwehroh1(f): 7:01am On May 13, 2018
Wats d OP driving at nw? Every member of d health care team has a better chance abroad. Even dose dat are nt in d health system....everybody knws dias a better lyf out dia....so?
D hurdles of getting a license to practise abroad as a professional gan sef...... Anyways, most pple has plans to leave sumtym, sumdae

4 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by thorpido(m): 7:11am On May 13, 2018
MrBigiman:

That's their main demand. Watch the interview of the minister of health with channels TV and get a better insight. If nursing begins internship, Nigeria will be the only Country in the world running such devious model. It's a shame that we bend the truth in this Country.
I watched the interview of the minister of health on Channels TV.Whose side do you think the minister is on(he's a doctor remember)?
What I saw in the Johesu demand is a review of the salaries and allowances as they have done for doctors on Conmess.The Conmess salary structure has been reviewed twice in the last six years whereas the Conhess has remained the same.

Yes,nursing graduates are fighting to have internship.I don't know if that is done elsewhere in the world but the question is,will it add to professional expertise or take away from it?
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by osazsky(m): 7:23am On May 13, 2018
sogodihno:

And pharmacy is 3years too? and what about B.SC nursing, 3 years too? do u know the difference between B. pharm and MBBS in Nigeria is just a year, and Pharm D and MBBS is the same 6 years with a year internship for the two. And u think everybody in pharmacy, nursing, physiotherapy etc wanted to do medicine but cudnt reach the cut off? why are u guys so shallow? Because u cudnt reach the cut off for medicine u think every other person not in medical school is as dull as you are?
This is pathetic.
did u choose pharmacy as ur first choice,,, who does DAT,
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by ahiboilandgas: 7:26am On May 13, 2018
MrBigiman:

Johesu spotted, the bash without a superior argument. If u wanted the same pay as doctors then go and study medicine. Everything in life is graded. Medicine is a tougher course and demands more reward. So it is from US to UK, to Australia, Canada, Ghana, United nations itself, Lesotho, Ghana. Nigeria cannot practice a different system.
really but investment banking make more money while Davido a musician even dash out a porsche
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by osazsky(m): 7:26am On May 13, 2018
africanusvu:
.medicine and accounting don't av same requirements. Cant switch the two.foolish lies.ar u sure u ar a graduate. I am not a nurse but a marine Engr.ok
immediately my ssce came out , I switch if u want pics I can send u my cert pics,u need only economics,Geo, maths English to study Acc get ur facts right kid
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by felaismyhero(m): 7:29am On May 13, 2018
portable4real:

So, your problem now is to see other profession being flourishing.....

I don't need to write much to reply you.
one word for you: Enemy of progress.....
let me shock you: my dad is a medical lab scientist.and am not a doctor.there cant be peace in the health sector with the way things are now.look at engineers,mechanical engineers work with chemical engineers;not work for.there is mutual respect.infact u contact them separately for jobs.i cant go to a hospital and hope to see a nurse,or a pharmacist or a medical lab scientist for consultancy services.we all majorly go to see doctors.i am more for peace in the sector.there is the pharmaceutical industry and labs for pharmacist,lab sci should just become pathologist.lawyers might need psychologist,anthropologist,etc to prepare a case,but that does not make those other professions part of the legal field,they have their own 'places of reckoning'-places where they are the boss.
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by felaismyhero(m): 7:38am On May 13, 2018
osazsky:
guy,are u joking? i dont know the skul you are in.but in oau,pharmacy is a top top choice.i dont just know wat is their business being in hospitals,when there are so many drug firms.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by felaismyhero(m): 7:51am On May 13, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
really but investment banking make more money while Davido a musician even dash out a porsche
make more money? is it the bank workers or the investors? and cant a doctor be an investor? very dumb post.never compare arts with science,art is more of talent,while science is more of study.an uneducated artist(odunlade adekola when he started acting) can earn so high if he is talented,a scientist is paid as much as he knows.the real joy of science is knowledge,while that of art is influence.fortunately,or unfortunately,our world pays more for influence.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by omojeesu(m): 7:53am On May 13, 2018
sogodihno:

And what's wrong with pharmacist consulting in their shop for minor ailments, what's wrong with them prescribing for minor ailments? what's wrong with them taking blood pressure. you think all they learn in school is to dispense drugs? is either u are ignorant or sentimental. no apology.

PLEASE DEFINE 'MINOR AILMENT'

DOES IT INCLUDE MALARIA, TYPHOID, DIABETES AND HYPERTENSION?

SHOULD A PHARMACIST ASK PEOPLE TO DO LABORATORY TESTS?

IS CHECKING FOR BLOOD SUGAR AND BLOOD PRESSURE AND BLOOD FOR MALARIA PARASITES AND DOING WIDAL TEST ENOUGH TO MANAGE THE SICK YOU SEE IN YOUR PRIVATE PHARMACY SHOP?

IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT. ITS OUR CORRUPT SYSTEM WHERE ALMOST ANYTHING GOES. SMALLER AFRICAN COUNTRIES ARE SMARTER IN THEIR HEALTH SECTOR DELIVERY. HEALTH WORKERS THERE KNOW THEIR BOUNDARIES.

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by sircomputer(m): 8:00am On May 13, 2018
you are an ungrateful fellow, am pretty sure that your aunt would not like perception on the above topic because she's JOHESU family as well. And your argument is biased.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by ahiboilandgas: 8:00am On May 13, 2018
felaismyhero:
make more money? is it the bank workers or the investors? and cant a doctor be an investor? very dumb post.never compare arts with science,art is more of talent,while science is more of study.an uneducated artist(odunlade adekola when he started acting) can earn so high if he is talented,a scientist is paid as much as he knows.the real joy of science is knowledge,while that of art is influence.fortunately,or unfortunately,our world pays more for influence.
u are an idiot...u don't know investment banker bush doctor....science is also a talent that why scientist do invention
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by marylandcakes: 8:00am On May 13, 2018
So when all the doctors leave Nigeria, the Red Cross and other foreign charities will come and offer real humanitarian services to the sick.The medical profession if you go back to its origin you have to genuinely care for your patients. A lot of doctors and nurses are moving to foreign lands. The honest truth is that money is the motivation. I know I’m going to get a lot of stick for this statement but it’s the truth. Some of them still take their I don’t care Nigerian mentality to the foreign lands.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by ahiboilandgas: 8:04am On May 13, 2018
marylandcakes:
So when all the doctors leave Nigeria, the Red Cross and other foreign charities will come and offer real humanitarian services to the sick.The medical profession if you go back to its origin you have to genuinely care for your patients. A lot of doctors and nurses are moving to foreign lands. The honest truth is that money is the motivation. I know I’m going to get a lot of stick for this statement but it’s the truth. Some of them still take their I don’t care Nigerian mentality to the foreign lands.
we wish them safe trip...i think Nigerian govt should make all medical student sign a bond to work in Nigeria for 15 years cos the are tution free trained by our tax money so if u want to go abroad pay bk our bond or go to a private university

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by peacengine(m): 8:09am On May 13, 2018
marylandcakes:

You're right bro. If they all eventually go, which is my wish since most of them are not good enough. We will then get aid from humanitarians and volunteer doctors abroad who truly care about human lives. This is the best deal we can get, because for now the present crop of doctors have little value for human lives. It is my wish that they all go so that we can get mostly humanitarians working here to save lives

4 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by sodeide2013: 8:12am On May 13, 2018
The truth is that envy is what is driving JOHESU!

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:15am On May 13, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
we wish them safe trip...i think Nigerian govt should make all medical student sign a bond to work in Nigeria for 15 years cos the are tution free trained by our tax money so if u want to go abroad pay bk our bond or go to a private university

Kindly explain the bolded.

You mean medical graduates from government universities do not pay tuition fees? Do you mean medical students pay less fees in the university?

Please clarify

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by ahiboilandgas: 8:19am On May 13, 2018
greyham:

You mean medical graduates from government universities do not pay tuition fees? Do you mean medical students pay less fees in the university?

Please clarify
are u in Nigeria or went to a Nigerian govt own university...if u have been there and don't know it tuition free then we need to withdraw ur certificate cos u be confirm quack doctor...it tuition free to nigerians u only pay token for library hostel etc....non Nigerian pay 15,000 dollar annually to study medicine in ABU

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by authority2006(m): 8:20am On May 13, 2018
IbnIbrahim:

What is a doctor doing in Nigeria, when he knows what to do to save a life but is handicapped by the absence of oxygen, blood, sterile needles, and the very basic needs of his profession.

I think of what would have happened to me if the likes of Professor Aken’ova and her team of young doctors were not available that night in December 2002. Your guess is as good as mine. So today, I ask that Nigeria must act, lest she becomes a land without doctors

https://hotproforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1257&p=1781#p1781

You should have asked the same question when you were hanging by a thread of air in 2002 now! I guess doctors in other African countries are making 10 times of what doctors are making in Nigeria.
Low wages and salaries are not the problem being faced by doctors alone in Nigeria, it cuts across all fields. Doctors are receiving 10 - 30 times of what some other workers receive, yet we buy from the same markets and pay for the same services.
I'm not hating here but I'm just telling you that doctors in Nigeria still have it better than most Nigerians. And if anyone regardless of his/her profession wants to leave and the opportunity presents itself, such person should leave. People including doctors leave Nigeria everyday yet, we still have plenty available.

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by KevinDein: 8:23am On May 13, 2018
greyham:

Please clarify
Tuition fee is highly subsidized in Nigeria, not only for medical students but for all other courses.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by authority2006(m): 8:24am On May 13, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
u are an idiot...u don't know investment banker bush doctor....science is also a talent that why scientist do invention

Make your point without insulting people, clown.
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by ahiboilandgas: 8:24am On May 13, 2018
It tuition free for every fucking course taken by Nigerians zero tuition...bonaza by the state of Nigeria ask Canadian and American medical students how much loan in tuition fee they accumulate to graduate over 500,000 thousand dollars over 200 million naira debt is awaiting a new doctor in America....but a Nigerian doctor zero debt paid up by all might crude oil money .....every doctor from Nigeria has enjoyed over 30m naira free training from Nigerian state ever other graduate like 5 m
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by authority2006(m): 8:28am On May 13, 2018
osazsky:

I did that, more than two times.
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by ahiboilandgas: 8:29am On May 13, 2018
authority2006:

Make your point without insulting people, clown.
so insult is needed to reset dumb brain like ur..... medicine was the leading thing in 19 centuary but now we have stem cell research ,nano tech , cloud computing high finance not all this quack parading Nigeria all fight for salary and feeling too important and beefing guy driving gwagon
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by ahiboilandgas: 8:31am On May 13, 2018
KevinDein:

Tuition fee is highly subsidized in Nigeria, not only for medical students but for all other courses.
it tuition free u only pay for service like hostel library etc

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by sexylips6186: 8:32am On May 13, 2018
I will start respecting them when they know there pharmacology well.

Two years ago, i was referred to LASUTH for an ailment. I met with a reg n after reading my history, prescribed a drug that was meant for only men knowing fully well that am a lady. So i had to ask him if he knows that the drug is contraindicated in women cos it causes infertility.

Then he had to use scope to tell me that he knows but he only prescribed it since am not getting married soon. Can you imagine Did he ask me? Thats how they kill patients.

It is high time they brought down their ego n work together with Pharmacists cos without them they can't work effectively.

DABMarkNig2019:

l got some prescriptions from a Reg and I'm still shocked to my bone marrow till today. They really don't know the nonsense they've been up there doing and it's just the reason their ignorance is not given way.

3 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by sweetv(f): 8:33am On May 13, 2018
rotadeco27:
U are so right on point concerning the post , the day I determined to study medicine was when I had a severe asthmatic attack -: status asthmaticus , I knew I was dying and mum and dad were obviously helpless. Thank God for a doctor beside my house that God used that day , he administered some injections and withing minutes ,it was like a rope was taken off my neck .
I promised myself to know the mystery behinds this.
Thank God I'm a doctors today and on training to become a neurosurgeon , but like earlier stated, I might not be able to replicate the same help for a long time as the health sector in Nigeria is so frustrating. is the low pay we should talk about or hostile working environment!?
I'm one of those that are about to fly , I can't be working and jerking like "nothing else dey" and some people in the name of johesu will be sponsoring bills to be at per. it is better one goes to places where things work .
My advice to all my young colleagues out there , let go out to make money and come back years after to establish group private standard practices: our nurses will stay on the ward to give patients quality nursing cares they deserve, we need dispersers and not pharmacist ( the latter should be on the research field finding formulas to solve medical problem and allow pharmacist technicians to to their work), medical laboratory scientist will process samples in the lab because that is what I'm paying u for., ward assist will stay withing his or her limit .
A reasonable person will leave his or her comfort zone when the comfort zone is no more comfortable!
OGA abeg u said u went for medical practice after your attack assuming the doctor DAT helped u to survive fly like u wanted,what would have before you now something you nid to think before you comment,I hope u are not one of the selfish doctors,u studied to save a soul, if u Dont have DAT spirit in u pls don't drag others with u.....
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by sweetv(f): 8:34am On May 13, 2018
Babybush:
Please if u find any sense in this post let me no
Dont mind him,he is only selfish
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by AlphaT1(m): 8:39am On May 13, 2018
MrBigiman:
grin grin grin

Johesu want the same salary scale with Medical Doctors. It's easy to claim entry point distinguishes them but let's look at exit point. A lab Scientist at 55yrs probably now at the highest grade does nothing but order Juniors around, yet a General Surgeon who has put his life on the line still does rigorous calls and theatre sessions at 58yrs. The stupid, insane and unbelievable new demand means that a lab scientist, Nurse and neurosurgeon at the same grade level should earn the same, despite not having the same responsibility, this is a shame, and the Country will pay for considering these Buffon's and clowns called Johesu. Nowhere in the world is this stupidity condoned. The average hourly work rate of each professional the world over can be browsed, in all cases the doctors' comes top.

My advice for Junior doctors is to run as far as ur legs can take u, this is the best time. Don't look back, doctors are hot cake and don't limit yourself to a shithole country.

Peace

Mr Bigiman.
People who have no useful point to make often times just insult people and that's their point. Why don't you use Google to at least educate yourself before coming here to display your ignorance. Doctor's call duty is 4% of basic salary per unit while pharmacist or MLS is 2% . Now maximum units of call per month is 40 and in most cases others are not allotted max call units only doctors but let's assume all of them are taking maximum units of 40 at same grade level, say 17 (director) with basic salary of 400k. 4% of 400k per unit is 16k, for 40 units is 640k while 2% of 400k is 8k, by 40 equals 320k. How is 640k and 320k the same? This is just one example. Pls try and read wide and be enlightened. Ignorance makes even an intelligent person behave stupidly.

3 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:41am On May 13, 2018
KevinDein:

I'm waiting for him to respond. Unless this is your second moniker. Is it?
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Exciton(m): 8:47am On May 13, 2018
ahiboilandgas:

Better option: let them go and slam them with "Doctors in Disapora Tax" or something to make them pay the difference in tuition costs between Naija and US for studying medicine. Let them join their colleagues in developed countries in paying off debts. grin grin Such monies should then be used for medical education of our kids and hospitals.

I'm tired of these greedy fückers constantly whining about their high jamb score and why they ought to be paid one billion because they're first class citizens.

Read the entire thread, it's only about money, ego and in-house clashes within the health sector. Govt underfunding is just one of the many problems, it might not even be the main problem.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by ceejaynnaji(m): 8:49am On May 13, 2018
dominique:
Honestly I ask myself this question whenever I visit my private hospital and see the extremely overworked underpaid doctors looking exhausted most of the time. I ask myself that are these doctors aware that all it takes to get them out of this hellhole is to just take a board exam and apply for visa to a first world country where they will get better pay and less workload? What exactly motivaties them to remain in this country? Docs in the house, let's hear from you.
Don't be naive most of the quacks here can't pass those board exams in foreign contries .we have typhoid and malaria specialist here as doctors cry

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Craig Lewis: First Man To Live Without A Heart / Is Dexacotin Safe For Weight Gain? / 3 Things You Must Do If You Find It Hard To Fall Asleep

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.