Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,905 members, 7,810,487 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:57 AM

What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? (52438 Views)

Abia Government Uncovers ‘japa’ Doctors Still Collecting Salaries / Governor Otti: Japa Doctors Still Recieving Salaries In Abia State / Doctors STILL Can’t Treat 2-week-old Baby With A Never-before-seen Brain Tumor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by sisisioge: 8:44pm On May 12, 2018
Wow! Your intro seems so familiar...the plight of several Nigerians. Although, I've always been lucky to never be sick enough to be admitted in a hospital but I've watched helplessly as my loveys pay premium just to access better service in a private hospital since the govt owned are under equipped. It is really well o...may God bless Nigeria with policy makers that would fear Him.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by nervorum: 8:46pm On May 12, 2018
MrBigiman:
grin grin grin

Johesu want the same salary scale with Medical Doctors. It's easy to claim entry point distinguishes them but let's look at exit point. A lab Scientist at 55yrs probably now at the highest grade does nothing but order Juniors around, yet a General Surgeon who has put his life on the line still does rigorous calls and theatre sessions at 58yrs. The stupid, insane and unbelievable new demand means that a lab scientist, Nurse and neurosurgeon at the same grade level should earn the same, despite not having the same responsibility, this is a shame, and the Country will pay for considering these Buffon's and clowns called Johesu. Nowhere in the world is this stupidity condoned. The average hourly work rate of each professional the world over can be browsed, in all cases the doctors' comes top.

My advice for Junior doctors is to run as far as ur legs can take u, this is the best time. Don't look back, doctors are hot cake and don't limit yourself to a shithole country.

Peace

Mr Bigiman.

Every doctor that knows their worth and wants to pursue a fulfilling career in clinical medicine MUST leave Nigeria. Like a JOHESUITE correctly asserted, the real doctors are abroad, only the quacks are behind struggling with JOHESU.
I wonder how some people want to be patriotic when the land and his people don't want you; Nigeria does not want you, Johesu does not want you, yet you need preaching to find your square root!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by dominique(f): 8:46pm On May 12, 2018
MrBigiman:

Johesu spotted, the bash without a superior argument. If u wanted the same pay as doctors then go and study medicine. Everything in life is graded. Medicine is a tougher course and demands more reward. So it is from US to UK, to Australia, Canada, Ghana, United nations itself, Lesotho, Ghana. Nigeria cannot practice a different system.

Let's not derail this thread please, the topic has nothing to do with Johesu.

9 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by rozayx5(m): 8:47pm On May 12, 2018
Shithole country

undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by kazyhm(m): 8:47pm On May 12, 2018
MrBigiman:
grin grin grin

Johesu want the same salary scale with Medical Doctors. It's easy to claim entry point distinguishes them but let's look at exit point. A lab Scientist at 55yrs probably now at the highest grade does nothing but order Juniors around, yet a General Surgeon who has put his life on the line still does rigorous calls and theatre sessions at 58yrs. The stupid, insane and unbelievable new demand means that a lab scientist, Nurse and neurosurgeon at the same grade level should earn the same, despite not having the same responsibility, this is a shame, and the Country will pay for considering these Buffon's and clowns called Johesu. Nowhere in the world is this stupidity condoned. The average hourly work rate of each professional the world over can be browsed, in all cases the doctors' comes top.

My advice for Junior doctors is to run as far as ur legs can take u, this is the best time. Don't look back, doctors are hot cake and don't limit yourself to a shithole country.

Peace

Mr Bigiman.

Every Nigerians have entitlement mentality...........and i wonder its origin. perhaps, one can link it to our political atmosphere.

just check the agitation for HND/Bsc equality too......Same reasoning everywhere

In my work place, everyone with HND are always running one program or the other just to be at per with their Bsc counterpart but i've always maintain my stand; if i were the CEO, i would sack.............all of them

6 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by TheRealGuy(m): 8:48pm On May 12, 2018
!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by LordAdam: 8:48pm On May 12, 2018
First off, I should say I regularly decry the despicable compensation health workers in general get in this country. From personal experience not hearsay.

That said, Nigeria is a developing country and salaries will not be the same as over the shores. Not for a very long time.

Taxi drivers in Cuba earn more than doctors. Many folks in the freelancer section on NL earn more than doctors in several Eastern European countries (Poland, Austria... I'm talking countries with 24/7 power, world class health facilities, and excellent living conditions).

Before you ask what doctors (health practitioners in general) are still doing in Nigeria, ask yourself the cost of an ultrasound in Nigeria and compare it to the price of an ultrasound in US/CA/UK/AU.

If you want to practice outside. Go! I'm the last person who'd tell you to stay. But those who stay are the real MVPs. We shouldn't start deriding them for their (I should say) ill-advised choice to remain in this god-forsaken country where they are underappreciated.

-Lord

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by MrBigiman: 8:51pm On May 12, 2018
dominique:
Honestly I ask myself this question whenever I visit my private hospital and see the extremely overworked underpaid doctors looking exhausted most of the time. I ask myself that are these doctors aware that all it takes to get them out of this hellhole is to just take a board exam and apply for visa to a first world country where they will get better pay and less workload? What exactly motivaties them to remain in this country? Docs in the house, let's hear from you.

I still wonder too why doctors who are extremely smart remain in this shithole. Someone said most politicians running to the UK get there and end up seeing the same Nigerian GP they are running away from. But this time they pay heavily to access them. To young doctors, run away from this shit hole. Consultancy has been approved for Pharmacist, and the question is after heavy, tasking, excruciating residency with a lost social life and and injure psychology, one profession think getting to a certain level in Civil service gives them the right to become consultant and earn the same pay with those who have laid down their lives, youth and pleasure so others can be safe.

6 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:51pm On May 12, 2018
the shithole is bereft of good leaders!

...nig is cursed with demonic/self-serving rulers !

A FACTORY RESET IS LONG OVERDUE.
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by patrickmuf(m): 8:53pm On May 12, 2018
Last year, a friend of mine left for the UK, one of the most intelligent minds if not the most intelligent folks I have come across...We are losing our best brains in almost every sector and not just doctors...
I think in the next 10years if things don't change, we'll be begging doctors with blank cheque to stay...Our leaders have messed up this country.

6 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by EZEHAND(m): 8:54pm On May 12, 2018
dominique:
Honestly I ask myself this question whenever I visit my private hospital and see the extremely overworked underpaid doctors looking exhausted most of the time. I ask myself that are these doctors aware that all it takes to get them out of this hellhole is to just take a board exam and apply for visa to a first world country where they will get better pay and less workload? What exactly motivaties them to remain in this country? Docs in the house, let's hear from you.
if all of them should travel abroad,who will treat you?

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by eleojo23: 8:55pm On May 12, 2018
If you look at things critically, what is anyone still doing in this country sef?
Look at engineers too, and other professionals...it's all tales of woes

All of us should kukuma leave the country na

21 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:58pm On May 12, 2018
mediclife1987:

I'll be damned if this makes front page....

Damn you! undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided lipsrsealed undecided undecided

5 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by tete7000(m): 9:00pm On May 12, 2018
I don't think the plight of doctors is worse than that of any other professional in Nigeria. I am an Engineer by training, I hold a Master degree and based on personal experience, I can ask the same question: 'What is an Engineer doing in Nigeria?'. The Nigerian problem is not peculiar to only doctors, it affects everyone else. It is a culture that places no emphasis on merit, a culture that doesn't believe in professionalism. A culture where all professionals who spent years in training campaigned vigorously and queued up to vote for a man that couldn't show his senior secondary school certificate. A culture where professionals hailed Tinubu when he said certificate or not certificate, qualified or no qualified, Buhari holds the key to solving Nigerian problem. We all created Nigeria, it is right everyone stay back to enjoy it.

45 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Proudlyngwa(m): 9:01pm On May 12, 2018
Last I checked, doctors swore to save lives, not make money.

What is the objective of your calling, if you feel you are not being paid your worth, fine, seek greener pastures elsewhere. Stop this psychological blackmail by emotionally twisting minds, not all fingers are equal.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by GavelSlam: 9:01pm On May 12, 2018
Deltayankeeboi:
i didn't bother to read because my mind already told me the post is a complete trash.

It's not really for UME candidates seeking admission.

Most likely pass your intellectual development for now.

8 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by donestk(m): 9:01pm On May 12, 2018
2 of my family members who are both doctors relocated to the UAE. I tried to make them understand that Nigeria needs them but they left anyway.

Nigerian doctors should learn to see their job as service to humanity and not shortcut to wealth

10 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by kowalsky: 9:02pm On May 12, 2018
peacengine:
They are only after money. This is a sponsored post by Nigerian association of medical doctors

No oh. They should do medical work for free now. As they're Jesus Christ without families to feed.

You think it's only you that wants to drive rolls royce cullinan abi.

Brainless mofos all about nairaland spewing trash

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by dollarsplenty(m): 9:02pm On May 12, 2018
@ O.P., it's God ( destiny) that you would not die in UCH. How many people had died even in the best hospital?

That you would become a Doctor is also your destiny. Even if all doctors should leave Nigeria, people that will not die will not die and if all doctors are in Nigeria, people will still die. It's their calling and their destiny. They should let us rest.

7 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by omohayek: 9:02pm On May 12, 2018
Why is anybody surprised that a sh*thole country whose sh*thole government can't even fix the road to the main international airport, and can't keep in good condition the "federal" roads linking the states, is also incapable of paying doctors properly, let alone running a functioning national healthcare system? Why is anyone shocked that in a country where nepotism, tribalism and political clientelism count for far more than talent and skillset, highly skilled medical professionals earn peanuts compared to what they could be making abroad, and act accordingly by immigrating as soon as they can? We think it's acceptable to select the leaders of our parastatals, ministries and even governments based on a "quota system" and "turn by turn" politics, then act mystified when the incompetents the system elevates end up making terrible decisions when they seize the reins of power. How many of us would be equally willing to trust our lives to "quota system" doctors, yet think nothing of a system where the same doctors are bossed around by "quota system" products?

You can all act as if the blame for Nigeria's disaster of a medical system lies entirely at the feet of a mysterious "government" you have nothing to do with, but Nigeria's clueless and feckless political leadership is the result of the poor collective decision-making of the millions of ordinary Nigerians who vote based on tribe, religion and who is handing out "free" rice on election day, which makes you all complicit in making this country the abomination it is: even if you try to excuse yourself by saying you don't vote, you're still complicit by refusing to do your duty as a citizen, and allowing the ignorant, the bigoted and those stupified by hunger to make the deciding votes.

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Deltayankeeboi: 9:03pm On May 12, 2018
GavelSlam:

It's not really for UME candidates seeking admission.

Most likely pass your intellectual development for now.
okay sir but i think it's utme not ume

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by MrBigiman: 9:04pm On May 12, 2018
kazyhm:

Every Nigerians have entitlement mentality...........and i wonder its origin. perhaps, one can link it to our political atmosphere.

just check the agitation for HND/Bsc equality too......Same reasoning everywhere

In my work place, everyone with HND are always running one program or the other just to be at per with their Bsc counterpart but i've always maintain my stand; if i were the CEO, i would sack.............all of them

U say the truth bro. If HND are required to do an upgrade course the world over to make them at par with BSC, why then should Nigeria put them at the same level. We continuously celebrate and condone mediocrity and cripple innovation in this clime.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Mires: 9:05pm On May 12, 2018
The post is a big trash like someone pointed out.

I will keep saying it that Nigerian medical Doctors are too self-centered.

How much to start with do they pay as sch fee to receive their training in Nigeria such that they will be comparing their salary with that of more qualified Drs at Canada who spend fortune to be trained.

They are happy to see CNO of over 25 years earning less than a fresh Dr who's Junior registrar and goes home with about #400,000 - #450,000 monthly.

So it is easy to be absorbed in developed countries, and they are still here.

A big trash that is not sellable.

13 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Quelme: 9:07pm On May 12, 2018
MrBigiman:

Johesu spotted, the bash without a superior argument. If u wanted the same pay as doctors then go and study medicine. Everything in life is graded. Medicine is a tougher course and demands more reward. So it is from US to UK, to Australia, Canada, Ghana, United nations itself, Lesotho, Ghana. Nigeria cannot practice a different system.
this is becoming stale........ You just succeeded in exposing your foolishness..

4 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by dominique(f): 9:09pm On May 12, 2018
EZEHAND:
if all of them should travel abroad,who will treat you?

Trado-medical dotors grin
But on a serious note, with the ease at which doctors get visas and work permit to practice in developed countries, I'd be very surprised if we still have any doctors left ten years from now. This calls for serious concern but our useless government won't do anything about it as usual.

3 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by eleojo23: 9:11pm On May 12, 2018
MrBigiman:

You love ranting, don't you?
From one thread to another...

Weh done o.

But stop derailing the thread

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by MrBigiman: 9:12pm On May 12, 2018
Quelme:
this is becoming stale........ You just succeeded in exposing your foolishness..

Who is foolish here. Nurses are doing internship as a must now for all graduate nurses. Which other country has that model in the whole world. What is nursing internship? If u want to work as a nurse in UK, US or Canada, are u asked for nursing internship form. We claim we want best international practice , but its actually best reaping where I did not sow practice. We need a overhaul, in fact we really don't. What are doctors doing in this shit hole?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by GavelSlam: 9:12pm On May 12, 2018
Deltayankeeboi:
okay sir but i think it's utme not ume

That's what you guys call it these days.

8 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Thanks18(m): 9:14pm On May 12, 2018
Brain drain is not only limited among physicians in Nigeria. It also affected other professionals in the health sector namely radiographers, physiotherapists, med lab scientists and nurses. For the nation's health sector to be revived, there must be public- private partnership and the health sector managed by competent administrators drawn from all professions and stakeholders in the sector and not necessarily NMA which had been holding sway of leadership of the sector for decades with resultant decay and rot. Many Nigerian health skilled workers are practicing abroad because there's respect, harmony and effective running of the health system of their host countries.

5 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by madridguy(m): 9:17pm On May 12, 2018
Nice one.
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by seguno2: 9:18pm On May 12, 2018
rozayx5:
Shithole country

undecided undecided

What can we do about it

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Craig Lewis: First Man To Live Without A Heart / Is Dexacotin Safe For Weight Gain? / 3 Things You Must Do If You Find It Hard To Fall Asleep

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.