Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,871 members, 7,810,319 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? (52436 Views)

Abia Government Uncovers ‘japa’ Doctors Still Collecting Salaries / Governor Otti: Japa Doctors Still Recieving Salaries In Abia State / Doctors STILL Can’t Treat 2-week-old Baby With A Never-before-seen Brain Tumor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by osazsky(m): 9:18pm On May 12, 2018
MrBigiman:

Johesu spotted, the bash without a superior argument. If u wanted the same pay as doctors then go and study medicine. Everything in life is graded. Medicine is a tougher course and demands more reward. So it is from US to UK, to Australia, Canada, Ghana, United nations itself, Lesotho, Ghana. Nigeria cannot practice a different system.
gbam, u can't study nursing for 3years without passing jamb and expect to earn same amt as someone who scored 290 in jamb, spent 7 years in sch, passes MBBS, truth must b told its a lost battle these people foolish sha when hunger hit them without salaries for months dem go use shame resume work,,,,

4 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by bethrothen(m): 9:18pm On May 12, 2018
I tell you the ONLY Doctor that will be left in Nigeria by 2025 will be Small Doctor

3 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by OGHENAOGIE(m): 9:18pm On May 12, 2018
Nigeria needs redemption...which sector is doing fine self..... In a country wer youths need inspiration...in a country wer sportsmen earn peanut while equivalent of their counterparts elsewer earn good pay....in a country where elites have to send their kids abroad for education why our public schools from primary to secondary suffers dejection and utter collapse....in a country wer pple work on contractual basis without recourse to pension or anything...in a country wer guys even msc holders work as security guard been under valued.... In a country wer local govt system are almost dead if not dead....this is yy we this country needs massive restructuring ......na doctors we de talk of Wat of other people

3 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by MrBigiman: 9:19pm On May 12, 2018
eleojo23:

You love ranting, don't you?
From one thread to another...

Weh done o.

But stop derailing the thread

What exactly are Doctors doing in Nigeria. And are u a doctor? Johesu is fighting for nursing to be six years so they obtain DNSC, and same with Lab science, in their DMLS fight. Maybe that's why u are here by faith, because everyone in a Nigerian hospital will soon be titled Doctor. Enjoy sha, other than that i don't see how this thread concerns u.

4 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Quelme: 9:21pm On May 12, 2018
MrBigiman:

Who is foolish here. Nurses are doing internship as a must now for all graduate nurses. Which other country has that model in the whole world. What is nursing internship? If u want to work as a nurse in UK, US or Canada, are u asked for nursing internship form. We claim we want best international practice , but its actually best reaping where I did not sow practice. We need a overhaul, in fact we really don't. What are doctors doing in this shit hole?
it cuts across all discipline in Nigeria. There is no job...... If you can not stand the heat in the cesspool 'Nigeria' simply get out......

4 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Jaqenhghar: 9:21pm On May 12, 2018
They are leaving and killing their citizens with their clumsiness. products of a shitty system that only emphasizes passing exams. The good thing is over there when you kill their citizens there will be hell to pay unlike this shithole where no one cares

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by blowjohn(m): 9:24pm On May 12, 2018
Delivar:
Those countries Nigerian doctors run to can't accommodate an infinite number of doctors continuously pouring in from Nigeria. When it gets to saturation point Nigerian doctors will find something doing in Nigeria by force.

There are many areas in medicine.
More health issues in the world.
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by HeyCorleone(m): 9:24pm On May 12, 2018
mediclife1987:

I'll be damned if this makes front page....
You're damned already.

4 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Acidosis(m): 9:25pm On May 12, 2018
Hey Doc! Your salary is not the problem, the main issue is the worthless Naira.

I still don't understand how and why we ignore the real issues in this country. Fix the damn Naira and everyone would be fine. All things being equal, who in his right senses would dream of leaving if 1 Canadian or US dollar = 30 or even 50 Nigerian naira??

This is one of the reasons many freelance guys and bloggers in Nigeria don't even bother about travelling. They get paid in dollars and convert straight up to the worthless naira, without tax!

15 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by kazyhm(m): 9:26pm On May 12, 2018
MrBigiman:

U say the truth bro. If HND are required to do an upgrade course the world over to make them at par with BSC, why then should Nigeria put them at the same level. We continuously celebrate and condone mediocrity and cripple innovation in this clime.

The thing tire me bro...........

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by TalkingBird: 9:27pm On May 12, 2018
BiggerbossAmani:
shocked

Chaii Nigeria Why

Nigeria is now a laughing stock to Togolese guy reading this with me.

Ordinary health care we cannot maintain not to talk of Pharmacy.

[b]Something I wish if we got our independence from France
[/b]

French people are beautiful people. Their selfishness is limited.

Just see how they manage their host communities and compare them with the other crooks. You see relative peace in their host communities and war and anguish at the other ends.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by osazsky(m): 9:28pm On May 12, 2018
GavelSlam:

That's what you guys call it these days.

leave that kid, he doesn't know it was UME before they changed it to test,den if u scored 220 it would be aired on diff stations ,I remember efe who scored 220 in Edo state not all these 280 they are sharing with computer to kids,utme my assss

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by DALE917(f): 9:29pm On May 12, 2018
MrBigiman:
grin grin grin

Johesu want the same salary scale with Medical Doctors. It's easy to claim entry point distinguishes them but let's look at exit point. A lab Scientist at 55yrs probably now at the highest grade does nothing but order Juniors around, yet a General Surgeon who has put his life on the line still does rigorous calls and theatre sessions at 58yrs. The stupid, insane and unbelievable new demand means that a lab scientist, Nurse and neurosurgeon at the same grade level should earn the same, despite not having the same responsibility, this is a shame, and the Country will pay for considering these Buffon's and clowns called Johesu. Nowhere in the world is this stupidity condoned. The average hourly work rate of each professional the world over can be browsed, in all cases the doctors' comes top.

My advice for Junior doctors is to run as far as ur legs can take u, this is the best time. Don't look back, doctors are hot cake and don't limit yourself to a shithole country.

Peace

Mr Bigiman.

The question was what are doctors still doing in nigeria

Abstract talker!

I wonder how others salary affects your own

3 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by ironheart(m): 9:29pm On May 12, 2018
rotadeco27:
U are so right on point concerning the post , the day I determined to study medicine was when I had a severe asthmatic attack -: status asthmaticus , I knew I was dying and mum and dad were obviously helpless. Thank God for a doctor beside my house that God used that day , he administered some injections and withing minutes ,it was like a rope was taken off my neck .
I promised myself to know the mystery behinds this.
Thank God I'm a doctors today and on training to become a neurosurgeon , but like earlier stated, I might not be able to replicate the same help for a long time as the health sector in Nigeria is so frustrating. is the low pay we should talk about or hostile working environment!?
I'm one of those that are about to fly , I can't be working and jerking like "nothing else dey" and some people in the name of johesu will be sponsoring bills to be at per. it is better one goes to places where things work .
My advice to all my young colleagues out there , let go out to make money and come back years after to establish group private standard practices: our nurses will stay on the ward to give patients quality nursing cares they deserve, we need dispersers and not pharmacist ( the latter should be on the research field finding formulas to solve medical problem and allow pharmacist technicians to to their work), medical laboratory scientist will process samples in the lab because that is what I'm paying u for., ward assist will stay withing his or her limit .
A reasonable person will leave his or her comfort zone when the comfort zone is no more comfortable!
you wouldn't have been alive today if that doctor had left the country. Why not give another child hope for tomorrow just the way you have been given.

6 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:31pm On May 12, 2018
Sponsored piece of writing undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by WudBMother: 9:31pm On May 12, 2018
rotadeco27:
U are so right on point concerning the post , the day I determined to study medicine was when I had a severe asthmatic attack -: status asthmaticus , I knew I was dying and mum and dad were obviously helpless. Thank God for a doctor beside my house that God used that day , he administered some injections and withing minutes ,it was like a rope was taken off my neck .
Thank God I'm a doctors today and on training to become a neurosurgeon , but like earlier stated, I might not be able to replicate the same help for a long time as the health sector in Nigeria is so frustrating. is the low pay we should talk about or hostile working environment!?
I'm one of those that are about to fly , I can't be working and jerking like "nothing else dey" and some people in the name of johesu will be sponsoring bills to be at per. it is better one goes to places where things work .
My advice to all my young colleagues out there , let go out to make money and come back years after to establish group private standard practices: our nurses will stay on the ward to give patients quality nursing cares they deserve, we need dispersers and not pharmacist ( the latter should be on the research field finding formulas to solve medical problem and allow pharmacist technicians to to their work), medical laboratory scientist will process samples in the lab because that is what I'm paying u for., ward assist will stay withing his or her limit .
A reasonable person will leave his or her comfort zone when the comfort zone is no more comfortable!

Nice idea, but once you taste the life over there, you may not want to return

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by osazsky(m): 9:33pm On May 12, 2018
DALE917:

Abstract talker!

with all these ur reasoning am a non academic staff and should earn same as a professor, make una go sleep hunger never beat una. be waiting for salaries.
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by ElPhoche(m): 9:33pm On May 12, 2018
Delivar:
Those countries Nigerian doctors run to can't accommodate an infinite number of doctors continuously pouring in from Nigeria. When it gets to saturation point Nigerian doctors will find something doing in Nigeria by force.
Current projections in the US is that there would be shortage of doctors come 2025. Those countries are not being saturated, my dear, despite their health care being made up by a significant percentage of foreigners. They actually need more doctors, and that need would be met by the foreign doctors especially from third world countries. And I am talking about the US alone, not even Canada, UK, Australia, Germany... Extra 40,000 doctors no be here. Abeg, doctors, truth is that emigrating is not easy and expensive, but the risk is worth taking. Even if it means selling your lands.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/doctor-shortage-us-impact-on-health/

5 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by africanusvu(m): 9:34pm On May 12, 2018
Don't only think of wat wid av hapend to u if so and so doctor wasn't there.think also of wat wld av hapend to u if d pharmacist had not produced d drugs u took.the lab technologists had not dictected ur case.the mech Engr had not manufactured the vehicle that rushed u to the hospital.the electrician had not powered the oxygen u took.the caterer had not made d food u ate .the builder had not built the hospital. The electronic had not given u the system u used in posting this trash.the pastor had not interceded for u.I don't know why u doctors ar fucking arrogant and over hyped

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by asawanathegreat(m): 9:35pm On May 12, 2018
With this kind thing wey this guy experience so, una want make Bubu no travel to take care of his health.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by 400billionman: 9:35pm On May 12, 2018
rotadeco27:
Nigeria has a Mission of misplaced priorities formulated by wicked and self serving leaders.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by MrBigiman: 9:35pm On May 12, 2018
DALE917:

Abstract talker!

When I we needed to get into school. We were 5 friends. For reasons best known to God I was quite brighter, but we all wanted to do medicine. 2 went on to to Zoology, 1 ended up in Nursing after jonsing in his pre-degree course and another did Lab science, yours faithfully was close to 1st 50 in that program of nearly a thousand and became a doctor. I switch on to Facebook and I see this dude getting nurse leadership award and ranting about health awareness everywhere, he also talks about equity and justice, and I wonder where the problem comes from. U where too dumb to pass pre-degree and now u are smart enuf to ask for equal pay? Judgement day is coming and no Johesu member will be spared.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by DALE917(f): 9:36pm On May 12, 2018
[quote author=Proudlyngwa post=67508312]Last I checked, doctors swore to save lives, not make money.

You see this your statement ehn
Cancel it!
So they should be paupers because of that?
C'mon, we all need this money!

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Orpe7(m): 9:37pm On May 12, 2018
Many Doctors have left Nigeria
My Sister sef dey commot next month
Nigeria is seriously loosing her best minds to countries who take them seriously

4 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by MrBigiman: 9:37pm On May 12, 2018
africanusvu:
Don't only think of wat wid av hapend to u if so and so doctor wasn't there.think also of wat wld av hapend to u if d pharmacist had not produced d drugs u took.the lab technologists had not dictected ur case.the mech Engr had not manufactured the vehicle that rushed u to the hospital.the electrician had not powered the oxygen u took.the caterer had not made d food u ate .the builder had not built the hospital. The electronic had not given u the system u used in posting this trash.the pastor had not interceded for u.I don't know why u doctors ar fucking arrogant and over hyped

Ogbeni, no pharmacist is producing any drug in Nigeria, they are fighting to become doctors and importing substandard drugs from India. Don't distort the narrative.

14 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Chartey(m): 9:38pm On May 12, 2018
Mires:
The post is a big trash like someone pointed out.

I will keep saying it that Nigerian medical Doctors are too self-centered.

How much to start with do they pay as sch fee to receive their training in Nigeria such that they will be comparing their salary with that of more qualified Drs at Canada who spend fortune to be trained.

They are happy to see CNO of over 25 years earning less than a fresh Dr who's Junior registrar and goes home with about #400,000 - #450,000 monthly.

So it is easy to be absorbed in developed countries, and they are still here.

A big trash that is not sellable.

No registrar collects 400k. Very few Senior Registrars even collect that. It's lies like this your union leaders brainwash you with.
Apart from that, years in service don't determine pay anywhere. A court clerk of 25 years service shouldn't expect to earn the same as a magistrate of 5 years.
An air hostess of 10 years won't expect to earn the same as a fresh pilot.
The gap in salaries is even very close in the hospital setting.

11 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by 2sexycom(m): 9:39pm On May 12, 2018
dominique:
Honestly I ask myself this question whenever I visit my private hospital and see the extremely overworked underpaid doctors looking exhausted most of the time. I ask myself that are these doctors aware that all it takes to get them out of this hellhole is to just take a board exam and apply for visa to a first world country where they will get better pay and less workload? What exactly motivaties them to remain in this country? Docs in the house, let's hear from you.
Not every Nigerian is as informed as you assumed.
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by jairusben(m): 9:40pm On May 12, 2018
osazsky:
gbam, u can't study nursing for 3years without passing jamb and expect to earn same amt as someone who scored 290 in jamb, spent 7 years in sch, passes MBBS, truth must b told its a lost battle these people foolish sha when hunger hit them without salaries for months dem go use shame resume work,,,,
mumu...na only you score 290 for jamb....dude i can tell you ders notin in the medicine...jst d 6years involved

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by davidif: 9:40pm On May 12, 2018
IbnIbrahim:
It was the night of December 22, 2002. I was rushed to the University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan. I was terribly sick; the hospital had no oxygen as at the time I was admitted, and I was severely low on oxygen. I missed a date with death by a few seconds. I needed a miracle and God showed up — it was a medical miracle.

My packed cell volume (PCV), which is the volume percentage of red blood cells in blood, was at five percent, about seven times less than what was expected. I was medically damaged. I had suffered in the days leading to this eventual admission. I was only 12.

I remember all that pain and trauma like it happened yesterday. The sickness was not all that was wrong; the tears flowing down my strong mother’s eyes broke my spirit. My father braved it all, but I knew he was hurt beyond words. My favourite aunt, was a nurse at UCH, she helped in ways she could, and periodically told me to be strong. She too was torn beyond words. My family was in pain, and I was the cause of it. I blamed myself.

I was one of the eldest children at Otunba Tunwase Children’s Emergency Ward. I was not scared of death, but I was scared of the pain it would put all these people through. The money my parents had spent, the love my siblings had shown, the care my aunt and cousins showered to this dying boy — I was scared of letting all that go to waste. So I fought for my life, and begged that God kept me strong and healthy for them. I survived, thanks to God and his messengers, who were in the form of skilled doctors.
My survival was made possible through the seasoned hands and steady minds of the likes of Professor Yetunde Aken’ova, Dr. Taiwo Kotila and many other medical specialists who beat the conditions of their employment to save lives in Nigeria’s under-served hospitals.

Based on this, and some other social experiences, Nigeria is personal for me; it is not my ambition to see a better Nigeria, it is a calling, a responsibility. So when I am making demands on government and policymakers to act on one issue or the other, I am not being political, I am not trying to be correct, I am just simply asking that they put facilities in place to make Nigerians need fewer miracles.

THE CRISIS ON OUR HANDS

Today, President Muhammadu Buhari is in the United Kingdom, treating an unknown ailment. I want to believe it is not just because he is president. As a former head of state, if he was not president today, and he takes ill, he would most probably go to the same doctors in the UK — because he has little or no faith in our medical system, and then we may not blame him as much as we do today.

But Buhari is really not my worry today. My grouse is with the system that produces his ilk.

There is a crisis in Nigeria’s healthcare system, and for today, my focus will be on the doctors. As far back as 2010, World Bank data have shown that Nigeria has one doctor to 2,531 people. The World Health Organisation prescribes one doctor to 600 people. The likes of Mexico, Mongolia, Australia, United States, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain and even Libya meet the WHO requirement. And many of them do so on the backs of Nigerian doctors abroad.

This means that the Nigerian doctor works at least four times more than his counterpart in any of these countries and earns way less than they do. The numbers are even worse today. We have about one doctor to over 6,000 Nigerians.

There is, therefore, no reason to wonder why a poll conducted by NOI polls and Nigeria Health Watch in 2017 found that 88 percent — almost nine in 10 — Nigerian doctors were actively seeking an opportunity to go abroad to practice. At the time the survey was conducted, a majority of Nigerian doctors were — and are currently — registered for medical exams like PLAB in the UK, USMLE for the United States, MCCE for Canada, AMC for Australia and DHA for Dubai. Most of our best minds are leaving!

5,264 NIGERIAN DOCTORS WORKING IN THE UK

Most recently, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, former Commonwealth Secretary-General, said 4,795 Nigerian doctors were currently working in the UK. Making specific reference to July, 2017. According to the UK General Medical Council, holding data on doctors in the UK, 5,250 Nigerian doctors were working in the UK as at April 25, 2018.

Checking the same data today, May 5, 2018, that number has grown to 5,264 — an increase of 14 doctors in 10 days. Africa Checks has shown that an average of 12 doctors move to the UK every week! Every seven days — or five working days — 12 Nigeria-trained doctors move to the UK!

After the same order, thousands of Nigerian doctors are working in the US, Canada, Australia, United Arab Emirates, and many other nations of the world. More than half of the 72,000 registered doctors in Nigeria now work abroad.

A LAND WITHOUT DOCTORS

In 2017, a friend of mine, who is a fresh doctor from UCH, told me about his plans to move to Canada by 2018. I attempted convincing him to stay, and was making some progress until I said: “Nigeria needs you”. He laughed and said “Nigeria does not need its own president, so how will Nigeria need him, an ordinary doctor”. This was at the time the president was in the UK for medical care.

Recently, I asked him some questions, and while answering, he said: “What is a doctor doing in Nigeria?”

And that is my question today: What exactly is a doctor doing in Nigeria? When he can get 10 times his Nigerian pay by moving to Canada, US, UK or UAE, to do almost 10 times less work! What exactly is a doctor doing in Nigeria, when the government will call him names, and ask him to respect the Hippocratic oath when the same government has not respected the oath it swore to the people?

What is a doctor doing in Nigeria, when he knows what to do to save a life but is handicapped by the absence of oxygen, blood, sterile needles, and the very basic needs of his profession.

I think of what would have happened to me if the likes of Professor Aken’ova and her team of young doctors were not available that night in December 2002. Your guess is as good as mine. So today, I ask that Nigeria must act, lest she becomes a land without doctors

https://hotproforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1257&p=1781#p1781

Ok we get your Jeremiad on how bad the Nigerian system is but you didn't proffer any solutions. What policies are the govt putting in place that doesn't let doctors flourish apart from the usual "they are not being paid well enough?"

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by akintom(m): 9:41pm On May 12, 2018
IbnIbrahim:
It w
I think of what would have happened to me if the likes of Professor Aken’ova and her team of young doctors were not available that night in December 2002. Your guess is as good as mine. So today, I ask that Nigeria must act, lest she becomes a land without doctors[/b]

https://hotproforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1257&p=1781#p1781

Lolz..... Perplexity induced specious gist!

*when doctors are being produced by almost all glorified secondary schools (medical school)?

*when doctors are surplus, that some are willing to do house job for free because no placement and two years post graduation?

*when doctors are willing to take 20k for locum?

*when Pakistans, Indians etc have taken over the west like water cover the sea?

*when qualifying exams in the west, keep introducing knock off requirements almost at eye blink?

Don't over estimate that MBBS certificate, so you don't get asphysiated by erroneous thoughts.

3 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Pharaoh9(m): 9:41pm On May 12, 2018
5,264 NIGERIAN DOCTORS WORKING IN THE UK

5,264 ONLY IN UK shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Craig Lewis: First Man To Live Without A Heart / Is Dexacotin Safe For Weight Gain? / 3 Things You Must Do If You Find It Hard To Fall Asleep

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.