Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,695 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:12 PM

What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? (52506 Views)

Abia Government Uncovers ‘japa’ Doctors Still Collecting Salaries / Governor Otti: Japa Doctors Still Recieving Salaries In Abia State / Doctors STILL Can’t Treat 2-week-old Baby With A Never-before-seen Brain Tumor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 11:03pm On May 12, 2018
seguno2:

What can we do about it

Almost nothing. The prognosis is poor, the people are unenlightened and subjugated and cannot effect change. Just imagine for instance, that people are still ready to vote in Buhari. Haba !

We are in the grip of murderous politicians.

God help us.
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Talibanis: 11:04pm On May 12, 2018
mediclife1987:

I'll be damned if this makes front page....
Now u actually are! grin
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by portable4real: 11:07pm On May 12, 2018
felaismyhero:
the real cause of conflict btw johesu and nma is d unnecessary clash of ego.why is nursing being awarded a bsc? whats a pharmacist doing in a hospital? why not just pathologists instead of medical lab scientists? the shocker is there are medical specializations related to pharmacy and med. lab. sci. i think only two kind of professionals should be in a hospital-medical doctors and nurses(from nursing skuls).i think they should remove nursing as a university course-there cant be peace when two university graduates work in a place where one can be boss and the other cant.look at medicine's brother-veterinary medicine.there is peace with them cos instead of doctors nurses,pharmacists etc,u have veterinary doctors and assistants.can u imagine there are now professors of nursing! how can a professor nurse!

So, your problem now is to see other profession being flourishing.....

I don't need to write much to reply you.
one word for you: Enemy of progress.....

4 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by xamuelotu(m): 11:07pm On May 12, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

Oga park one side!
You just dey justify the filth in our system.

According to behavioural psychologist, Dan ariely. If you changed neighbourhood to a more expensive neighbourhood, like going from Mainland to Island, you find yourself questioning prices and at least for a year you will be Living a very prudent lifestyle.

He calls this a Price anchor! Likewise if you came from Nigeria and started working in the UK, You cannot be spending like the typical BRITS, why?
You already have a price anchor conditioned while u were in Nigeria.

With that said, DOCTORS abroad are amongst the best earning profession, Yes you will get taxed but you will live a very very comfortable life! Stop all these threats about Taxing. spending in pounds , its Nansense really.

I am yet to see a Broke 9ja Dr who is practicing abroad. Most of them have houses scattered in 9ja
Nigeria is still a developing country,u dnt expect her to pay u like others developed countries. in fact hypocrisy is when u spend less than 500k to get a doctorate degree and u one the govt to pay u the same like someone who spend more than 10mil to get the same degree in uk.

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:09pm On May 12, 2018
MrBigiman:

Ur ignorance is appalling. A pharmacist consultant in the UK can be 35yrs old, and he does not necessarily work in the hospital. He also maybe an advocate for safer drugs in Oncology etc. The one approve in Nigeria say of u are Level 15 you are assistant Consultant, 16 Deputy and 17 Consultant. Does those 2 scenarios sound the same? We are all smart, stop lying to the public.
slowly you're coming home. Now that the lagos state government has approved the consultant cadre for pharmacist's against your wish you're now confessing that there are consultant pharmacists elsewhere where.
clinical pharmacy is an area of speciality in pharmacy practice and we have many of them here just as you find in other countries working in the hospitals. stop misleading the public.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by olalekanadewum(m): 11:20pm On May 12, 2018
Do you know how much doctors are paid? even a students doctors under training that are not suppose to be paid is earning more than GL 11 officers and yet they can't perform some simple operations without an errors that the the reason our leaders can not risk their lives.

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by yemmy75(m): 11:30pm On May 12, 2018
olalekanadewum:
Do you know how much doctors are paid? even a students doctors under training that are not suppose to be paid is earning more than GL 11 officers and yet they can't perform some simple operations without an errors that the the reason our leaders can not risk their lives.
JOHESU... By their English ye shall know them grin
olalekanadewum:
JOHESU... By their English ye shall know them

4 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by yemmy75(m): 11:31pm On May 12, 2018
xamuelotu:
Nigeria is still a developing country,u dnt expect her to pay u like others developed countries. in fact hypocrisy is when u spend less than 500k to get a doctorate degree and u one the govt to pay u the same like someone who spend more than 10mil to get the same degree in uk.
Is Nigeria the only developing country? Go and check how much doctors in Kenya and Namibia earn!
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by yemmy75(m): 11:32pm On May 12, 2018
portable4real:

So, your problem now is to see other profession being flourishing.....
I don't need to write much to reply you. one word for you: Enemy of progress.....
'Flourishing' you call it... I call it reaping where u did not sow
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by lereinter(m): 11:33pm On May 12, 2018
which profession in nigeria is deservely paid well apart from politics

except all med docs are on the books of fed govt, state govs can not pay them well

in abroad, docs are paid well and they treat their patients like king
with humane care and standards else they lose their jobs
life of the patient precious

nig doc will not do such in nig cos they are poorly paid

govt have not provided the necessary facilities and enabling evironment.

two wrongs make no right
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Ugosample(m): 11:36pm On May 12, 2018
Delivar:
Those countries Nigerian doctors run to can't accommodate an infinite number of doctors continuously pouring in from Nigeria. When it gets to saturation point Nigerian doctors will find something doing in Nigeria by force.

What is this one saying bikonu

There are MANY countries Nigerians can flee to, so saturation point no dey.

Nigeria no be place

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by seguno2: 11:36pm On May 12, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:

Almost nothing. The prognosis is poor, the people are unenlightened and subjugated and cannot effect change. Just imagine for instance, that people are still ready to vote in Buhari. Haba !

We are in the grip of murderous politicians.

God help us.

Almost is a hopeful sign.
Those who know should engage with others to enlighten them.
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by sogodihno: 11:37pm On May 12, 2018
MrBigiman:

Ogbeni, no pharmacist is producing any drug in Nigeria, they are fighting to become doctors and importing substandard drugs from India. Don't distort the narrative.

U are just a pathetic liar, do u know the number if pharmaceutical industry we have in Ilorin alone? are u telling me none of them produced drug, it's obvious u have access to the internet, why don't u use it to obtain information instead of spewing rubbish. This is saddening, and this is a medical doctor too? we have really lost it in this country

6 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by VolvoS60(m): 11:39pm On May 12, 2018
dominique:

Trado-medical dotors grin

^^^^

grin
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:39pm On May 12, 2018
They keep on posting thrash as if it's only the medical doctors that are being sought after abroad. Nurses are even the most sought after the world over and they're highly paid too.
How about the pharmacists? They are also hot cakes and many western countries are in need of them so the NMA should please spare us the constant lies they're dolling out to the public. Every professionals are experts in their own field

4 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Phayod777: 11:40pm On May 12, 2018
If that is it....No profession want to stay in Nigeria bcoz d condition over there is better- much pay, conducive working environment, less stress etc. Pharmacist are also travelling in their numbers out of the country especially Industrial Pharmacist.... those into research and development etc......y because the country is not encouraging. While some, it will only caused them to undergo conversion program from Bachelor of pharmacy to Doctor of Pharmacy (minimum requirements to practice as a pharmacist in developed countries). Even dos who study Yoruba gan wan port. Let us all learn to tolerate each other and work hand in hand for the future of ds country. Salary and Money are just ephemeral. The soul and lives impacted should b our pride and happiness
God bless every Health care professionals
God bless Nigeria Health Care System
God bless Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by gagadey(m): 11:44pm On May 12, 2018
dominique:
Honestly I ask myself this question whenever I visit my private hospital and see the extremely overworked underpaid doctors looking exhausted most of the time. I ask myself that are these doctors aware that all it takes to get them out of this hellhole is to just take a board exam and apply for visa to a first world country where they will get better pay and less workload? What exactly motivaties them to remain in this country? Docs in the house, let's hear from you.

My sister,i nr knw wetin dey hold us like dis like dis o. We go soon jar finish sha
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Kayode12345: 11:47pm On May 12, 2018
MrBigiman:

Ur ignorance is appalling. A pharmacist consultant in the UK can be 35yrs old, and he does not necessarily work in the hospital. He also maybe an advocate for safer drugs in Oncology etc. The one approve in Nigeria say of u are Level 15 you are assistant Consultant, 16 Deputy and 17 Consultant. Does those 2 scenarios sound the same? We are all smart, stop lying to the public.
....so u agree consultancy place is not exclusive to Dr, now dat u understood this one, others will be easier for u..

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by sogodihno: 11:48pm On May 12, 2018
osazsky:
medicine shld be left for d best, I wanted to study medicine but couldn't, switched on time to accounting ,now I work as an accountant in a university, we all need each other in terms of profession even d vc of Uniben needs a cleaner,, to clean his office,so were are u coming from pls b logical and make this ur aguement relative ,I know u wanted to study medicine but couldn't meet the requirement hence u were shipped to a nursing school,pls attend a university then sit for MBBS before claiming bragging rights, there is no way my salary now can be d same as lecturers, all I do is sit in my chair and work on files,ask me how many reaserch i have done since i stated work 4years ago none. my friend this is a lost battle, no work no pay,nursing sch is 3 years medicine is, 7,there are no shot cut to riches grow up

And pharmacy is 3years too? and what about B.SC nursing, 3 years too? do u know the difference between B. pharm and MBBS in Nigeria is just a year, and Pharm D and MBBS is the same 6 years with a year internship for the two. And u think everybody in pharmacy, nursing, physiotherapy etc wanted to do medicine but cudnt reach the cut off? why are u guys so shallow? Because u cudnt reach the cut off for medicine u think every other person not in medical school is as dull as you are?
This is pathetic.

5 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by yemmy75(m): 11:50pm On May 12, 2018
chara019:
doctors deserve to be treated well...no arguments, and so nurses,pharmacists,med scientists should be treated less?
The Nigerian mentality is that doctors are superior aye? reason I don't blame peeps like you, nurses,pharmacists and other health workers dont joke either,common, we have our spheres of specialization and so we are interconnected,doctors need nurses,doctors need the physiotherapist, doctors need med scientists..an elevation in payment is what johesu is fighting for,we can't continue working out butts off still being underpaid.

If doctors seem more superior,I guess there shouldn't be a break in transmission in the health sector,even at this ongoing johesu strike.

Doctors don't only deserve to be treated well, they deserve to be treated better than others. That is why relativity was put in place. Even football clubs understand relativity!

Forget that 'interconnected' stuff... We know all professions are useful and it's a team. Defenders on the Real Madrid team have been instrumental to their third consecutive champions league final. Never will a day come when one of them will want to earn close to what Ronaldo earns. That is just how things work!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by salford1: 11:50pm On May 12, 2018
Because getting a license to practice abroad especially in a developed country is not a walk in the park.

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by sexylips6186: 11:51pm On May 12, 2018
Why are deviating from the main post

MrBigiman:

Ogbeni, no pharmacist is producing any drug in Nigeria, they are fighting to become doctors and importing substandard drugs from India. Don't distort the narrative.
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by yemmy75(m): 11:55pm On May 12, 2018
DABMarkNig2019:
They keep on posting thrash as if it's only the medical doctors that are being sought after abroad. Nurses are even the most sought after the world over and they're highly paid too.
How about the pharmacists? They are also hot cakes and many western countries are in need of them so the NMA should please spare us the constant lies they're dolling out to the public. Every professionals are experts in their own field
But how many Nigerian nurses / pharmacists / scientists do you personally know that have successfully made that switch? Rather they prefer to drag equality here grin

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by cutechioma1: 11:56pm On May 12, 2018
SmallmebigGod:
I was discussing with some of my colleagues today.
What are we doing here?
Looking back at the thread of things in Nigeria.
Till Sometimes around late 80s and early 90s the on thread was to start your own hospital after NYSC or work as Medical officers.
Gradually the drive for residency training program started growing and having more medical schools gives the consultant cadre much job so residency training became lucrative
Onset of Conmess and all the adjustment makes Residency training almost the only career path that Nigeria doctors know.
Sadly in 2014 when the then minister of health and some 'medical elders' asked the Presidency to sack the resident doctors, this move reactivated our brains and we started searching for an environment that is more rewarding and less depressive like Nigeria health sector. Many people that has been seeking to move before then also hasten up their processes. I remember someone on Nairaland that time sent a documents to us on how to qualify for practice in about 48countries, UK,us,Canada and Australia inclusive.
And then comes intense hatred and fight by Johessu worsening the poor working conditions.

Medical students no longer plan to practice in Nigeria, they have started writing qualifying exams to practice in US UK etc immediately after their Induction. Any other place apart from Nigeria.
What are we still doing Here?
Brain drain we are seeing now is just a tip of the iceberg compare to what is to come.
Just last week 2 professor of medicine and two other senior consultant independently confided in my that they are planning to relocate
My dear everyone in Nigeria wants to relocate cos of greener pastures, its not exclusive to doctors alone. Its all about the money and comfortability. If that is all the reason you read medicine, pls don't frustrate yourself by staying back. But I bet you some people out there are still reading medicine because they care and want to better the lives of humanity. I mean why do we still have doctors without borders, I'm sure it not because of the money.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by yemmy75(m): 11:57pm On May 12, 2018
salford1:
Because getting a license to practice abroad especially in a developed country is not a walk in the park.
Unfortunately it is. Just pick a random Nigerian doctor, fund him with #3million and see whether he won't be practicing in the UK before the year ends

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:57pm On May 12, 2018
ElPhoche:
Current projections in the US is that there would be shortage of doctors come 2025. Those countries are not being saturated, my dear, despite their health care being made up by a significant percentage of foreigners. They actually need more doctors, and that need would be met by the foreign doctors especially from third world countries. And I am talking about the US alone, not even Canada, UK, Australia, Germany... Extra 40,000 doctors no be here. Abeg, doctors, truth is that emigrating is not easy and expensive, but the risk is worth taking. Even if it means selling your lands.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/doctor-shortage-us-impact-on-health/
and in your myopic mind you think it's only Dr's they will be needing? No sets of health professionals are being sought after like the nurses. get that fact into your head.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by salford1: 12:01am On May 13, 2018
yemmy75:

Unfortunately it is. Just pick a random Nigerian doctor, fund him with #3million and see whether he won't be practicing in the UK before the year ends
Maybe UK and Ireland sha as those ones would take a doctor from anywhere in the world.

Same can't be really said for Canada, Australia or the US. I have quite a number of friends that are Nigerian trained doctors in Canada. Over 5 years now and still struggling to get license. Doctors driving cabs in North America is not a myth.

Ironically, Nigerian trained doctors practicing in the UK still find it a bit easier to get the license in North America/Australia than the ones straight from Nigeria.

I will advice anyone to live Nigeria if they can sha. I left myself even though I am an engineer and not a doctor.

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by sogodihno: 12:05am On May 13, 2018
donb06:
then he might not be wrong, coz most matured persons wrote UME not UTME... U might not understand the rigours of going through medical school... But I pray for ur unborn children to be doctors practicing in Nigeria.. Thanks

Do u understand the rigour of passing through pharmacy school? is it only medical school that has rigour?

3 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:08am On May 13, 2018
yemmy75:

But how many Nigerian nurses / pharmacists / scientists do you personally know that have successfully made that switch? Rather they prefer to drag equality here grin
lol, if you truly care to know there are so many of them. I'm not taking about those who studied pharmacy here but also those who went outside especially easter europe to study. The moment they are done with their studies they took the licensure exams in their countries of abode and are there practicing peacefully.
You have to accept the truth that there are also evolution in other health care fields just like medical sciences. No one wants to remain at the same point forever not even microorganisms and that's why we have lots of drug resistant strains. The medics must swallow the bitter pill and accept the fact that health care is a team efforts...no one knows it all.
Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by emekatheo: 12:09am On May 13, 2018
rotadeco27:
U are so right on point concerning the post , the day I determined to study medicine was when I had a severe asthmatic attack -: status asthmaticus , I knew I was dying and mum and dad were obviously helpless. Thank God for a doctor beside my house that God used that day , he administered some injections and withing minutes ,it was like a rope was taken off my neck .
I promised myself to know the mystery behinds this.
Thank God I'm a doctors today and on training to become a neurosurgeon , but like earlier stated, I might not be able to replicate the same help for a long time as the health sector in Nigeria is so frustrating. is the low pay we should talk about or hostile working environment!?
I'm one of those that are about to fly , I can't be working and jerking like "nothing else dey" and some people in the name of johesu will be sponsoring bills to be at per. it is better one goes to places where things work .
My advice to all my young colleagues out there , let go out to make money and come back years after to establish group private standard practices: our nurses will stay on the ward to give patients quality nursing cares they deserve, we need dispersers and not pharmacist ( the latter should be on the research field finding formulas to solve medical problem and allow pharmacist technicians to to their work), medical laboratory scientist will process samples in the lab because that is what I'm paying u for., ward assist will stay withing his or her limit .
A reasonable person will leave his or her comfort zone when the comfort zone is no more comfortable!

Olodo, there is nothing like dispensers and technicians don't do the work of Pharmacists. Doctors are always scared of Pharmacists, why?

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by salford1: 12:11am On May 13, 2018
osazsky:
have u ever seen someone who chose nursing as first choice, no then in our time it wasn't even in jamb brochure ,tell us d truth u chose medicine but couldn't pass hence u took d shot cut by writing entrance exam now u are boasting that u can pass MBBS ,,,,Nigerians funny die spits
When i gained admission into OAU back in 1999, BSc Nursing had a higher jamb cut off score than MBBS. That was when alot of Nigerian nurses were hot cake overseas. Don't assume that everyone wanted to become a doctor.

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Are Doctors Still Doing In Nigeria? by IgboBasthard: 12:13am On May 13, 2018
MrBigiman:

I still wonder too why doctors who are extremely smart remain in this shithole. Someone said most politicians running to the UK get there and end up seeing the same Nigerian GP they are running away from. But this time they pay heavily to access them. To young doctors, run away from this shit hole. Consultancy has been approved for Pharmacist, and the question is after heavy, tasking, excruciating residency with a lost social life and and injure psychology, one profession think getting to a certain level in Civil service gives them the right to become consultant and earn the same pay with those who have laid down their lives, youth and pleasure so others can be safe.

You sound so evil

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

3 Things You Must Do If You Find It Hard To Fall Asleep / Picture Of Billboard Sighted In Onitsha / Victor Ojeamiran: Soldier Commits Suicide After ‘False’ Phone Theft Accusation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.