Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,114 members, 7,818,320 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? (28249 Views)

Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? / Is This Pure Act Of Slavery Or Real Job Vacancy? (Picture) / HR Outsourcing Firms In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by QTEST007(m): 8:24pm On Jun 06, 2018
THIS IS MOSTLY common WITH SECURITY JOBS AND maintenance

2 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by LordKO(m): 8:26pm On Jun 06, 2018
There's nothing slavery about outsourcing. Actually, its main aim is to enable optimum productivity and to reduce operational cost.

7 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by BlueRayDick: 8:30pm On Jun 06, 2018
It is now being used in virtually all sectors of the economy.
Firms like ICSL and workforce would make you as a fresh graduate go through a rigorous recruitment and selection process, you would think you have finally gotten your big break only to be seconded to another firm where you will have to work more than everybody there and get paid the peanuts which will still be deducted by the outsource firms.

It's really terrible. Each time I see contract staff, I feel pity for them. Maybe because I imagine I could've been in their shoes..

The annoying part is after working for 3 to 4 years, the outsourcing firm terminates their appointment and they employ fresh hands to replace them.

I wish those outsourcing firms can be prescribed because they don't add anything to our economy, rather they induce suffering and hardship which they help the principal company to deliver on the staff.

What makes it slavery is; they ensure it is embedded in their terms and conditions that the outsourced staff cannot be converted to full staff by the principal company

11 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by Janyves(m): 8:36pm On Jun 06, 2018
Before any deal is struck...... Prospective employees are given the outsourcing firm's terms and conditions. So its plain clear to em what they(employees) are about stepping into. It gets messy when the terms are further reviewed to the advantage of the outsourcing firms.

The good ones take like 20% off your first salary and that's all, while the evil ones feed on your salary for as long as you remain their staff, while denying the staff some benefit's enjoyed by core staffs of wherever the employee is posted.

I believe every prospective employee has a choice to either accept or deny any job offer that can be best described as "SLAVERY"

4 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by tomdon(m): 8:38pm On Jun 06, 2018
EasterDell:
This is actually a national emergency and has concentrated wealth at the top!
- Banking,
- Oil & Gas,
- Telecoms,
and many other lucrative industries to work in have become manufacturing grounds for graduate poverty!

E.g. (Oil & Gas) approved salaries for drivers in Total E&P from France HQ is above 450k per month. But the so called HR companies managing the drivers don't pay them more than 80k monthly. This caused major strikes in 2013. Today companies like Shell, Schlumberger, Baker Hughes, etc suffer same agitations

This has been debated in the house of reps. But like people cursed by the gods, we seem uneager to address any issue deemed important (e.g. PIB is taking 8yrs to pass)... Yet useless bills like "not too young to run", are quickly passed and signed by Mr. President in weeks.

Thank God another person shares my perspective of the uselessness of the not too young to run bill.

3 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by kristen12(f): 8:40pm On Jun 06, 2018
Labour laws in Nigeria is just trash, they can't try it in Ghana. Heard if one that collects as much as 70% and it's unfair because most people don't have a choice.

I'll rather look for something to engage me and wait instead of slaving myself out.

2 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by wristbangle: 8:42pm On Jun 06, 2018
This system of employment is a greedy and stiff-neck way of ripping candidates. Who ever brought this method to this country is nothing but a wicked fellow and deserves to rot in hell.

Outsourcing in a sane environment allows third party have access to an organisation system/operation at the expense of not removing the benefits attached to the workforce team but here in Nigeria, they enslaved them with huge responsibilities and threaten to lay them off despite impressive performance.

The useless labour law in the country are doing nothing owing to the bribe being received from the default organisations. What a shame!

2 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by Buffalowings3(m): 8:47pm On Jun 06, 2018
Trendinghelm:
VIral news of the day dnt miss

Elderly Man Caught Watching Sexually Explicit Video During Church Service (photos/video)grin grin

you are in the house of God and you are watching BLUE FILM. At your age sir.

http://trendinghelm..com/2018/06/elderly-man-caught-watching-sexually.html

When will you get sense undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by pennyforthought: 8:56pm On Jun 06, 2018
The problem is there HRM firms function more as temp agencies than actual HR firms. They’re also clearly abusing the process. When you outsource the work, the employees must be housed by and provided for by the HRM firm which must pay ten, give them health benefits, give them career trajectory’s etc. Or you can outsource HR to companies that simply hire and recruit for you and manage the employee growth in that same company. They get paid by the company and cannot take from the salaries of the employees . At least that is how it’s supposed to work in the west but sigh, This is Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by stonemasonn: 8:57pm On Jun 06, 2018
Pavore9:
While the Labour Ministry look the other way.
the labor ministry is clueless as to how to create jobs. What do you want them to do?
Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jun 06, 2018
Nigerians complain a lot.

You get a job and you don't like the offer you quit!

Why trouble yourself with outsource and no outsource after years of sitting at home unemployed.

The country is bad make do with what you have and make other plans for the future.

Do you plan on working your entire life for a boss? F**k NO!

Make do with what you have now that you're still young instead of whining like an entitled spoilt brat and chart your way to success.

Stay here and complain while others are already planning ahead.

Nigerians complaint too much.

1 Like

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by Jethrolite(m): 9:03pm On Jun 06, 2018
EgunMogaji:

This is the key.

A good employee will always have a job.
Stop acting smart because you have been fortunate.

13 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jun 06, 2018
Jethrolite:
Stop acting smart because you have been fortunate.

Sho mo age mi ni? angry

1 Like

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by Green222: 9:08pm On Jun 06, 2018
I am working in one so I can tell you what they go thru. I am working as an outsourced staff in a bank presently. The bank pays to the company who in turned pay us without us having ideas of what the bank is paying them. In every other aspects we are a staff of the Bank but when it is wages and benefits,they refer to us as staff of the outsourced company. I remember when we are transferred from an outsourcing company to another, they pay us just one month in lieu and the new company gave us a fresh offer letter starting from the day they took over. Those that have spent several years lost all those years and became a new staff in the new company. Salary increments of 10k is like every four years and the outsourced company cannot request for review cos they don't want to be disbanded. Worst of all, you don't know how much is being deducted from your salary and you don't dare ask. I heard recently that the Security Supervisors at the regional level is been given N500/ each security staff under his supervision , so think of what those H/office HR that contract them will get monthly. Outsourcing deductions is been shared among the the company and the executive management. Outsourcing is slavery and Nigeria Govt turn a deaf ear to this modern day slavery

9 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jun 06, 2018
Mcquine:

Why trouble yourself with outsource and no outsource after years of sitting at home unemployed.

The country is bad make do with what you have and make other plans for the future.

Make do with what you have now that you're still young instead of whining like an entitled spoilt brat and chart your way to success.

Don’t mind some of them.

If you go in as a contractor and prove yourself then you may get picked up.

As an employer, why would I waste resources to board and then have to fire an employee that didn’t work out.
Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by Jethrolite(m): 9:11pm On Jun 06, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Sho mo age mi ni? angry
Speak English jor, this is Nairaland not Yorubaland.

5 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jun 06, 2018
Jethrolite:
Speak English jor, this is Nairaland not Yorubaland.

No!

2 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by grandstar(m): 9:14pm On Jun 06, 2018
This is just pure business reality. It even happens abroad. My brother was a temp before he got work with a Prime 25 bank in London. My brother is British born and an Oracle engineer.

Temp jobs should only be a stepping stone. My brother worked for about 5 years before getting the bank job.

The temp job barely fed him and his wife.
The bank job however changed things.

The real problem is that Nigeria has a large pool of unemployed and underemployed graduates and the present weak economy is deepening that pool.

Employers can therefore choose to be choosy and dictate the tune.
Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by Amakachris95(f): 9:15pm On Jun 06, 2018
FortifiedCity:
Referral does it for me
Please refer me, sir.
Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by don4real18(m): 9:16pm On Jun 06, 2018
chrisbaxtian:
@oga smithsammy, some hr firms collect as much as 50% of the salary meant for the contract staff! I don't think any collects less than 30%. it is the unfortunate norm in the labour market today in Nigeria. imagine a graduate earning N40,000 after hr consultant has collected his own share
Workfor__ collects 50%. Make I no spell the name finish
Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jun 06, 2018
This is how Shell Petroleum Development Company and AlphaMead Facilities and Management Services have turned able bodied men and women into slaves at SPDC Port Harcourt.

God please deliver us from evil. It is traumatic being in an environment where someone working in the same building and probably does less work than you yet earns 10 times your salary and flaunts it right in front of you.

2 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jun 06, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Don’t mind some of them.

As an employer, why would I waste resources to board and then have to fire an employee that didn’t work out.

Most of them saying all this might still have their Parents or Guardian still paying their bills.

When reality hits them they'll all mellow down.

We live in a Jungle where survival is the only option.

I pray God see us through.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by jaxxy(m): 9:20pm On Jun 06, 2018
EgunMogaji:
It’s not slavery because you have a choice.

Outsourcing is a very good concept that’s been around for ages.

It is the mode I will be using. Only a few key proven staff will be directly employed.

Its modern day slavery to treat people as second class citizens and workers in their own country/cooperation. ITS modern day slavery to employ a British hair dresser as a skol proprietor and make ur fellow Nigerian with waec or Nce a ganitor or cleaner. IT'S modern day slavery to not have DIGNITY OF LABOUR. ITs modern day slavery to not REGULATE outsourcing coy and allow them to completely rob workers of all allowances and benefits accrued to them. ITS MODERN DAY SLAVERY for Monkey to work and Baboon to chop! angry

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by Jethrolite(m): 9:20pm On Jun 06, 2018
EgunMogaji:

No!
Lol, can I cash out your response in English at the nearest ATM? No, then keep it.

2 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by grandstar(m): 9:20pm On Jun 06, 2018
Green222:
I am working in one so I can tell you what they go thru. I am working as an outsourced staff in a bank presently. The bank pays to the company who in turned pay us without us having ideas of what the bank is paying them. In every other aspects we are a staff of the Bank but when it is wages and benefits,they refer to us as staff of the outsourced company. I remember when we are transferred from an outsourcing company to another, they pay us just one month in lieu and the new company gave us a fresh offer letter starting from the day they took over. Those that have spent several years lost all those years and became a new staff in the new company. Salary increments of 10k is like every four years and the outsourced company cannot request for review cos they don't want to be disbanded. Worst of all, you don't know how much is being deducted from your salary and you don't dare ask. I heard recently that the Security Supervisors at the regional level is been given N500/ each security staff under his supervision , so think of what those H/office HR that contract them will get monthly. Outsourcing deductions is been shared among the the company and the executive management. Outsourcing is slavery and Nigeria Govt turn a deaf ear to this modern day slavery

I know someone who runs a security company..

There was this contract they had with a fast food company which they supplied 150 guards to their various outlets.

The Chief Security Officer of the fast food firm was collecting 2k per guard. The total sum was going to 300k monthly when the contract was suddenly terminated.

Anyway, the new security firm I'm sure is paying the PR.
Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by BlueRayDick: 9:23pm On Jun 06, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Don’t mind some of them.

Just like someone advised you earlier, stop playing smart because you are lucky.

I work as a full staff too but I've seen the kind of struggles outsourced staff go through. I know of a popular company I won't name that employs contract staff through outsourcing companies who fill vacant roles in some key departments.

This same company has a graduate trainee programme they do yearly which the average Joe on the street won't hear about except you have an internal source or you are just lucky someone mentions it to your hearing. If you are lucky to get in through the graduate trainee, you get employed as a full staff, get health insurance, entitled to profit sharing, paid leave, paid training, and other benefits.

Meanwhile the contract staff possess the same qualifications, performs the same job function as the graduate trainee but gets paid a basic salary which is not up to 50% of the graduate trainees salary and has no access to any of the benefits stated above. He is also not eligible for promotion and not entitled to conversion to a full staff.

Now tell me if this makes sense at all. Rather, kindly give me any justification for this.

18 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by don4real18(m): 9:27pm On Jun 06, 2018
Mcquine:

Oga, what is bad is bad... You shouldn't encourage such because the country is in a standstill state due to the high level of corruption. What happened to employees welfare?
Why will high percentages be deducted from the workers salary... It is absolutely wrong. I was jobless for some months, got a job through an outsourcing firm at a bank with a ridiculous offer. I rejected it when I found out that 50% of my salary was to go to the HR firm. I cannot reduce myself to the state where a monkey will work and a baboon will eat. We can change this form of slavery if and only if, we discourage it publicly

3 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by Eagba(m): 9:29pm On Jun 06, 2018
EgunMogaji:
It’s not slavery because you have a choice.

Outsourcing is a very good concept that’s been around for ages.

It is the mode I will be using. Only a few key proven staff will be directly employed.
same way some women at the idp camp have a choice of starving to death or sleep with soldiers for food.
Well, i Once work through an outsourcer, later got close to my employer struck a deal and sack my outsourcer. That's who i am

5 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by dongc(m): 9:29pm On Jun 06, 2018
it totally depends on what the agreement say..here in sweden they are so many companies like that he specializes in hiring out staffs to companies either for short or long terms..even at volvo where i work we have so many loans staffs like that..here is the twist the government or the unions requires these outsourcing companies to employ the staffs they loan out full time at maximum of six months; meaning after six month at outsourcing company ,you are guaranteed a full time salary and benefits .loan staffs that work in my department gets paid almost same salary as me .every now and then those loans staffs get to move over and work directly for the company they are sent.
this is where the labour union comes in ,but as you can guess they are busy doing nothing and people are been used and paid peanuts..

6 Likes

Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by Krafty006: 9:30pm On Jun 06, 2018
cobblers wanted for immediate employment, 0-8-1-8-1-6-6-3-6-1-6( Lagos)
Re: Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? by Wawaman: 9:31pm On Jun 06, 2018
this out sourced coy will even deduct tax from your salary and eat it with out paying to the gvt. eg Lightning networks,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews / Nigerian Army List Of Successful Candidates 2019 (DSSC 24 & SSC 45) / Mountain Top University Massive Recruitment For Non-teaching Staff Positions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.