Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,750 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! (62319 Views)

Mimi, A Popular Tiktoker Dies After Boyfriend Allegedly Used Her For Rituals / Fake Kidnap: Ameerah Sufyan Apologises For Misleading Police And The Public / Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Octaves(m): 6:28pm On Jun 08, 2018
the best thing is to ignore them altogether to avoid being hypnotised

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by LORDI(m): 6:29pm On Jun 08, 2018
Similar happened to me last year in Warri, it was late in the evening I was returning from a friend's place, then a guy met me, like he was about asking for directions, as I was talking to him, then some group of guys stormed out from no where, they said I look like a notorious cultist in ekpan, I told them I wasn't, they concluded I was cultist...
That's how one keke stopped and they said they would take me to effurun shrine I would swear an oath,that I'm not a cultist.
I refused to enter the keke, they threatened and threatened and i refused still....so I offered them 3k, and begged them, they were refusing at first, then they emptied my pockets and gave me back 500 for transport...Good thing they didn't take my phone because I kept it inside a bag I was carrying.

Since then I don't answer anyone on the street anymore.....except I'm familiar with the area.

1 Like

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by mimimile93: 6:33pm On Jun 08, 2018
lordjosh:
THIS IS NIGERIA!
Everybody a scammer
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Abagworo(m): 6:34pm On Jun 08, 2018
Isiala Ngwa scam. It's old here in Port Harcourt.
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by cryptic21(m): 6:43pm On Jun 08, 2018
That Format 2 was used on my guy in Akure, for Oba-oja side near Texaco. Dem wreck the guy for 2 months the guy no get himself. As for me I don't answer anybody that talks to me on the road. Whether you dey look for directions or whatever, just use Google map

4 Likes

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by brockbee(m): 6:45pm On Jun 08, 2018
dat tru o
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by DavidEsq(m): 6:47pm On Jun 08, 2018
Mumu OP. Na today we dey see dis kain scam? Since the early '90s jare. See all dis otondo.
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by megastu(m): 6:47pm On Jun 08, 2018
Do they pass these scams to their children? my grand mother fell for this when i was a kid. That was almost 30 years ago.
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Ugosample(m): 6:50pm On Jun 08, 2018
Which kind country be this bikonu undecided
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by FKMagazine(m): 6:57pm On Jun 08, 2018
GET CHEAP PUBLICITY VIDEOS FOR ALL YOUR CHURCH PROGRAMS & BUSINESSES.

Turn your handbills into attractive Animated Videos, we can also help to spread the video accros all social media platforms (Facebook,LinkedIn,Twitter,WhatsApp,blogs) reaching millions of people in the process boosting your church and business.
save yourself the stress of wasting a lot of money on printing, sharing fliers & pasting banners. FOR JUST 7k(video with background music) 12k(Video with voice over) we also send bulk SMS and build websites.

For more info call or whatsapp @ BISYOM Media on: 09073982244
www.bisyommedia.com
@bisyommedia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQkCPYMG_z0
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jun 08, 2018
Why would you entertain or engage strangers in Nigeria. Other than someone asking me for how to get to a location which he has a name and idea of, I don’t entertain questions from strangers. Why would you answer a stranger who says he wants to see a doctor. Who asks strangers for hospitals?? The problem is many of you are greedy!

3 Likes

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by miniyi018(f): 7:01pm On Jun 08, 2018
Number 1 happened to me at Ikorodu Garage. The first man said he needed help to locate somewhere at Agric bus stop , I told him I didn't know the place. The second man pretended as to walk past us then the first man called him and asked for directions then narrated a story about how someone wanted to do a business with him blah blah, I insisted I didn't know the place. The second man was telling me that we should help him, it's good to help others blah blah. It was then it dawned on me so I just walked away. My mum was almost a victim of number 3.
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by goodnews777: 7:02pm On Jun 08, 2018
bottom line is , don,t expect money you have not worked for.
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by teewhydope(m): 7:03pm On Jun 08, 2018
cryptic21:
That Format 2 was used on my guy in Akure, for Oba-oja side near Texaco. Dem wreck the guy for 2 months the guy no get himself. As for me I don't answer anybody that talks to me on the road. Whether you dey look for directions or whatever, just use Google map

me too. same story same location some years ago after my matric. luckily I was able to regain my sense on time when I saw people around shaking their heads pitifully for me.
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by laurenziz6(m): 7:04pm On Jun 08, 2018
Format 1 was exactly how I was scammed last year
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by tolexy007(m): 7:05pm On Jun 08, 2018
cryptic21:

it really rampant around Oja oba / Old garage side, especially wen dey see u with a travelling bag, they will think u are a stranger. I remember wen I was in SCH bk then, each time am coming bk or going to SCH with my bag, they will always come and started talking their rubbish, I will just look them and smile. but if my mood no dey OK then, na curse I dey curse dem... I don no their gimmick since I was 7yrs.wen dey dupe one of our neighbour then...The man nearly commit suicide

2 Likes

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jun 08, 2018
Format 5, preaching in the bus and at the end ask you to support the ministry with any amount.

Format 6. Approach you politely and ask for your favour with any amount to complete their journey especially if you are coming from ATM.

Format 7. Post some stuff online, pay after delivery but first you will pay for transporting the items which is very small compared to the price of the items, that is their interest.

Format 8. Common to NYSC, give forms to fill out your details using non existing firm, call you after POP or few months after POP for a job, but first you will pay some amount of money to get the job.

Beware

6 Likes

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by MrHibee(m): 7:06pm On Jun 08, 2018
Lol. I was a victim of format 1 in 2010. That's why I could write well on it. After I dropped my 9k and Nokia. I got home and I just couldn't bring myself to carry all my mum's money. I knew it would kill her if anything happens cos I've seen her react to a missing 50k before that day, let alone missing millions. They kept calling my line but I hanged up. I read other formats on the news over the years, and it's all the same content. I got very emotional when I read on fp today that a guy's girlfriend was raped by these people. That's the reason for my outburst.
Psoul:
I was wondering hw the Op knows all the details of what will happen even inside the scammers' house as he said that he was nearly a victim. Did he pass all these steps and still came out unscarmmed

2 Likes

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by maxzzo1(m): 7:07pm On Jun 08, 2018
I had similar experience at Garrison junction so many years ago....my luck was DAT non of those things freaks me cos I already have then..secondly I sized d young man n scored him zero i shouted at him the second guy na came and said "na so people dey mis luck" and i replied God punish u...not quite long a friend fell to this guyz cos wanted free dvd n laptop..greed is what makes people to fall....

1 Like

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Swagpelz(m): 7:11pm On Jun 08, 2018
Cc lalasticlala THIS IS NIGERIA
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by spiritedtete: 7:25pm On Jun 08, 2018
I remember in 2006 when I was working in punch news... my first job actually so the press id card was "shaking" me I use to wear it around my neck so everyone can see PRESS lol.

So one afternoon this around alade market this guy approached me and was asking for morphiz plaza.... i was like ahh nooo it's not here, by the way he was forming French accent;

The 419 guy with French accent : excuse me... priss wheris moRphiz plaza...

Me: ahhh no morphiz plaza is not here it's in VI

419: ohhhh nooo Juliet why why... where do u do dis to me...( forming victim).

419: everywheRe ir go they say memo memo ( meaning I don't know I don't know)

419 : oh my money my goods... I came all the way from Congo, my name is shabani Congo I gave Juliet all my goods she said in should come to morphiz plaza... people have Rob me, my watch my chain, I am scared I can't trust no one. orhh u pRess?

Me: yes press. ( then I as I turned to leave one guy was passing by and he asked, bros wetin dey happen?, I explain to him. And then he was asking the guy questions).

419: please airport here? I ( I didn't understand that... the 3rd guy said bros he ask if airport they here.. so we pointed the direction to him)

419: Thank you VeRy much you are kind ( he handed a dollar bill to me... then immidiatley the 3rd guy grabbed it from me(

3rd guy: bros na wa na alade you dey abeg no let make them see this thing o.. make we go change am share am.

3rd guy: bros come oo this guy need help oo.. and you be press man na... he go fit trust you, remember he talk say plenty people don dupe am. Bros help this guy na.

( that was the point.. They got me).

419: I have plrenty goods I need someone I can trust to help me take charge I want to go back I am tired of this place.

Me: calm Down I will help youuu.. where is your warehouse?

419 : it is at magodo

Me: I am not after your money or goods... I just want to help. Don't give me anything.

3rd: (whispering) bros abeg I wan follow una oo.. tell am say I be you brother oo. ( don't forget the dollar bill is still with him).

Then we called a bike... from that Allen roundabout to ogba the 419 guy was on the same bike with me... I was the one who paid the fare too.

So when we got to ogba.. something just stroke me... it was like i dropped my ajebo gown...

Me : (talking to the other 3rd guy). Bros you no say I no trust you. If una Bleep up.. this whole area ogba na my kebba oo. I got welley una enh.

3rd guy: (shouting) Shabani shabani...

419: what! Do you people want to rob me.. are you planning to rob me.

Me: shutup! No one is robbing you...

Me: ( facing the 3rd guy) bros bring that dollar sef make I see am.. ( no so this guy begin argue oo)

I just saw some agberos.. just shout omo iko... wan ti fe gbemelo o.

( wise men ... They are trying to abduct me)

Na so this two guys... ran ooo.

Men.. see wetin... forming Mr calm cool and nice wan cause me. Lol. It was a very interesting experience... I just laughed anytime I remember... I just don't know where that spirit came from.

7 Likes

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by mathong: 7:35pm On Jun 08, 2018
grin grin grin grin grin
OfficialAwol:
Was a victim one year like that. It was a time when the night was still young. At oyingbo in Lagos.

Those fools also went with my bag of plantain chips.
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by miqos02(m): 7:37pm On Jun 08, 2018
adedayoa2:
It happened to me o, in mile 2. That should be 2001
na their headquarters be that .

Contact me for laptop hard drives

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Demmzy15(m): 7:37pm On Jun 08, 2018
Two similar lunatics approached me on two separate occasions.

Like if you want full story, share if you don't

3 Likes

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jun 08, 2018
LORDI:
Similar happened to me last year in Warri, it was late in the evening I was returning from a friend's place, then a guy met me, like he was about asking for directions, as I was talking to him, then some group of guys stormed out from no where, they said I look like a notorious cultist in ekpan, I told them I wasn't, they concluded I was cultist...
That's how one keke stopped and they said they would take me to effurun shrine I would swear an oath,that I'm not a cultist.
I refused to enter the keke, they threatened and threatened and i refused still....so I offered them 3k, and begged them, they were refusing at first, then they emptied my pockets and gave me back 500 for transport...Good thing they didn't take my phone because I kept it inside a bag I was carrying.

Since then I don't answer anyone on the street anymore.....except I'm familiar with the area.
dis 4mat no b here
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Liftme(f): 7:50pm On Jun 08, 2018
At OP, you are right, its not jazz at all. It greedy people that fall victims/ or should I say those people are great planners

The 3rd format almost happened to me in Abuja years back,they call them one chance. The non branded cab stopped for me around Lokogoma, told the driver I will stop at Games Village, and he said I should enter. I entered hunbly nah, cos I saw a man and a lady at the back seat.

The driver stooped the car abruptly barely 2 minutes of driving, and he started shouting at the lady at the back seat that she should tell him what is in the ghana must go bag she entered with because he doesnt want problem.

The lady too started shivering, then said she will confess, that its Dollar notes. Said they we should help her cos she stole it from her deceased boss whi happens to be a politician,said she we can all go somewhere to share it.

My head just ringed, and I remembered that my mum's friend was a victim of same story line. I quickly opened the door to d car, and alighted. The car zoomed off immediately .

Anybody could fall victim, we just need to be enlightened. My former colleague fell for it too, we just noticed in the office that the gal doesn't tidy up well again and was getting skinnier , she didnt change clothes or shoes despite the fact that she lives with her parents, gets pocket money from them and her bf. We were wondering where her salary was going to, until her mama carry her go church oo. She said she cannot talk cos she was told she will die. They were collecting her salary and every penny she has, abused her severally

It isnt a joke, I am sure it is still happening most especially females.

My advice, dont be greedy, dont fall for any money related story line, Walk away immediately. I know its not easy, everyone needs money, but dont get scammed. Its traumatic....

1 Like

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by papoudaupolos: 7:59pm On Jun 08, 2018
Speakdatruth:
The 3rd one is common. One simple way to save yourself is simply not to listen to this people. Just keep walking your walk but if you're greedy or want to make quick money, you will always be a victim
Exactly.
that was how one guy followed me with hundred dollars jus because i help another person with direction. Telling me I should come we change n share the money. I jus walk away n pity his life

1 Like

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jun 08, 2018
So people fall for dis?,really?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Shoprite Looters Paraded, Stolen Goods Recovered (Photos) / EFCC Arrested 89 Yahoo Boys In the Ibadan Night Club Raid (Pictures) / Caleb Obari Mark Found Dead! Missing Nigerian Student In Ukraine Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.