Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,381 members, 7,812,116 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:33 AM

The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries (6968 Views)

I'm 30yrs Male In Love With A 19yrs Old / We Have Heard Of Alpha Male And Beta Male But Have You Heard Of Sigma Male? (pic / There Is Nothing Like Alpha Male In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by Nobody: 1:22am On Jun 11, 2018
The Rise of the Beta Male
The alpha male, the iconic bad boy, has been making girl’s hearts throb for years. But recently, despite all their chest pounding, attention seeking, in your face behavior, their appeal has been on the decline. .

Who exactly are the beta and alpha males? The alpha male is commonly described as a powerful, aggressive, and dominant man. He exudes confidence and is very physically fit. Alphas display masculine qualities, such as a deep voice, defined bone structure, and muscular physique. They are often pictured as the “ladies’ man.” The beta on the other hand is very introverted, and will avoid confrontation. He is extremely intelligent, thoughtful, capable, and driven. Unlike the alpha male he is smaller in stature and possibly even scrawny. Essentially they are contrasting versions of each other, and society is now favoring the beta version of the male over the alpha.

This preference makes perfect sense from an evolutionary prospective, and is supported by countless studies and centuries of human behavior. Men cannot contribute physiologically to parental investment. Women have to take on the full burden of gestation, child birth, and lactation, so when females look for long term mates they do not necessarily put emphasis on physical appearance, but more so on a man’s economic status or the resources he can provide. Evolutionarily the male’s role is to provide his mate with resources such as shelter and food, because he cannot offer any physical contribution to the development of the child. Women are therefore in a way evolutionarily programmed to desire males who can provide them with these resources. Early on in men’s evolutionary history the physical prowess and domineering behavior of the alpha was important in attaining basic and necessary resources. In today’s society it is financial wealth that is needed to gain these resources, and in this aspect it is the traits of the beta that are more advantageous compared to the alpha. A recent study was conducted analyzing personal advertisements of over 1,100 heterosexual people. The results of the study showed that for every one man who mentioned financial resources as an important criterion for a mate, eleven women did (Putts 190)! Alpha male behavior is on the decline in the business world, it has even been shown to be detrimental to the work place environment. Studies have been done that illustrate “testosterone-choked males” actually struggle to cooperate and act more egocentrically in groups. Bossy, in your face alpha males can hinder the progress of projects and intimidate fellow employees (“Testosterone”). Females will not choose a resource deprived male for long term relationships because they receive almost no benefits from this association. Betas on the other hand are extremely intelligent, capable, and often very successful so they can provide females with the resources they desire.

Alpha males are also often pictured as a “ladies’ man,” someone who can have their way with as many women as they want. In nature the alpha male usually has the sole mating rights to any female he wishes. This behavior has somewhat translated to human alpha male behavior, and can be explained by evolutionary mating choice patterns. Women only put emphasis on physical attractiveness when it comes to one night stands. Women know that the only contribution they could obtain from this man is good genes, and physical attractiveness and masculine qualities are two indicators of good genes (Putts 197). Alpha males can further their own reproductive success by taking advantage of this evolutionary mating behavior of women, and reproducing with as many women as possible. This kind of behavior can be very beneficial to the alpha male, but females will receive no economic benefit. Beta males ,on the other hand, offer females the economic benefits they are looking for and in some cases can also contribute good genes, and are there for a more desirable long term mate.

The image of a desirable mate also began to shift when women started to ardently fight for their rights and equality. women have made tremendous progress in gaining equal rights and opportunities in all aspects of their lives. .

With this movement toward women’s equality females do not want a macho alpha male who acts superior to them; they do not need a man to take care of them any longer. Women comprise 46% of the total U.S. labor force, and women business owners employ 35% more people than all the Fortune 500 companies combined. There are about 9.1 million women-owned businesses in the U.S., a number that encompasses nearly 40% of all businesses (“10 Surprising”). The stereotypical image from the fifties, of a mother in an apron tending to her children and cooking dinner for her husband before he returns home from work is no longer the norm. Women are almost expected to get a job today; it has become the social norm to be a working mother. Women now want an intelligent man who can share in their success and also have success of his own. The beta male is the perfect man for the “new women.” Beta males are successful but are also more reserved and sensitive then alpha males. They are not intimidated by a women’s success. Alpha males on the other hand tend to overcompensate to prove their masculinity. A successful woman could jeopardize their role as the sole provider and diminish their masculinity.

The alpha male’s overcompensating masculine behavior is believed to be due to homophobia. Alpha males displayed such over bearing, loud, dominant, macho behavior because they feel the need to prove there heterosexuality. When homosexuals first started to fervently petition for gay rights, there was little acceptance of their sexuality, and a large amount of disapproval and discrimination. Even in 2001 fifty three percent of the population thought relations were morally wrong. Now fifty three percent of men think it is morally acceptable and fifty one percent of women. If you look at the statistics by generation, the younger generations are even more accepting. Men eighteen to forty nine showed that sixty nine percent think it is morally acceptable and fifty nine percent of women in this age range did as well (Saad). With these present trends, as time goes on homosexuality will only become further accepted. With the acceptance of homosexuality comes the decline in the alpha male behavior. Heterosexual males feel less of a need to prove their sexuality, and do not need to display such exaggerated “straight” behavior. The term metrosexual has also allowed straight males to relax their alpha behavior and display a more beta male behavior. Men can now take care of themselves, dress fashionably, and express a softer more emotional side without being considered a homosexual.

Another social movement that has seriously affected the male hierarchy is campaigns against bullying. Most people do not think of bullying as a problem in the work environment but this has been alpha male territory for years. And as I previously stated, studies have shown that alpha male behavior may actually be counter-productive when pertaining to the business world. Beta males are not interested in dominating others and are more likely to understand the importance of encouragement and motivation over demands and domination. Alpha male behavior does not provide an efficient, healthy work environment. There has also been legislation passed against harassment and discrimination in the workplace to try and prevent this type of behavior. However, the biggest influence on the downfall of the alpha male is the bullying among teens.
Evolutionarily speaking he was always destined to be at the top because of his abilities to provide resources and invest faithfully in his mate, but social practices and behaviors hindered this rise in the male hierarchy. Women have now gained equality among men and no longer need alphas to take care of them. Females are no longer obliged to tolerate the alpha’s oppressive actions, and betas now have their chance to prove themselves as desirable mates. With the growing acceptance of homosexuality, and the establishment of the term metrosexual, men do not have to try and overcompensate to prove their heterosexuality. A male can express a more sensitive introverted personality without being considered gay. The tragedies of the past few years with school shootings, and studies on the effects of bullying have also become a stimulus for the fall of the alpha male. Beta behavior is more appropriate as a role model for impressionable kids and teens. Television shows and movies have taken full advantage of this and have shown the beta is now on top. Females are now drooling over little timid nerds, and boys are looking up to them as their new role models. The beta has successfully risen to the top of the male hierarchy.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by QueenSuccubus(f): 2:02am On Jun 11, 2018
grin

Oga, i will juz wait til the ZETA MALE version will flood the world since bad boiz cud not hold me down..I'm too bad & even naughtier than these so called "alpha males" tongue

2 Likes

Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by jara: 3:38am On Jun 11, 2018
Yeah right. Keep on fooling yourselves while electing and marrying people like Trump serially.
Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by donjobill: 5:15am On Jun 11, 2018
QueenSuccubus:
grin

Oga, i will juz wait til the ZETA MALE version will flood the world since bad boiz cud not hold me down..I'm too bad & even naughtier than these so called "alpha males" tongue

Well, it goes beyond being ".. too bad & even naughtier than ...males.
An alpha female must be capable of being in charge and control of a man, dominating him, training and domesticating him, guiding him, and, if possible, discipline him in a loving manner

3 Likes

Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by donjobill: 5:17am On Jun 11, 2018
@ OP

Female-led relationship is gaining grounds in the Western World.

Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by femi4: 6:04am On Jun 11, 2018
QueenSuccubus:
grin

Perhaps you are alpha female

2 Likes

Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by Neurotika: 6:33am On Jun 11, 2018
Write up is written on a flawed premise that alpha males are unintelligent and unnecessarily aggressive. Wonder where that came from.

Besides, the correlation between being a beta male and automatically being intelligent was not proved.

Asides the physical attributes, being alpha is about the mindset. There are many men with alpha physical attributes but are Betas at their core.

Going on about Betas being better economic providers is another flawed conclusion not proved.

The whole genetic reasons alphas are alphas in the first place is their ability to be better providers and protectors. They see it as a sacrosanct responsibility cos of their inborn male ego.

There are tons of scientific research that shows men with huge tetestorone level and dominant physical attributes tend to be more intelligent, confident than their male counterparts who lack these things. I can provide reputable links so you can read up.

Research goes on to prove that most of them are more trusted with Leadership positions. That's economic advantage there mate. Enough said.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by Nobody: 7:00am On Jun 11, 2018
That research has some flaws.
There are two most important resources a man must possess to be a Super-Male, not just Alpha or Beta.
1. Money-
2. Sound Knowledge about life and things therein.
Any other thing is addition.

2 Likes

Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by biebs: 7:24am On Jun 11, 2018
donjobill:
@ OP

gaining grounds u say ..... women are losing their importance in family n wait wen men become ur footstool .... jus dream on n end up being a maid
Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by lenghtinny(m): 10:18am On Jun 11, 2018
donjobill:
@ OP
You are seriously mad and you have no one to tell you angry
Alpha ko omega ni...

1 Like

Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by kushercain: 12:35pm On Jun 11, 2018
According to op any physically fit narcissist is an alpha male

Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by ImaIma1(f): 1:21pm On Jun 11, 2018
Every guy that is physically fit is alpha male.

A Beta male cannot be physically fit.

Alpha males are not intelligent, Beta males are.

NL acclaimed Alpha males please come and defend yourselves.
Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 11, 2018
ImaIma1:
Every guy that is physically fit is alpha male.

A Beta male cannot be physically fit.

Alpha males are not intelligent, Beta males are.

NL acclaimed Alpha males please come and defend yourselves.

Sounds intoxicating.
Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by tobechi74: 3:59pm On Jun 11, 2018
feminism cause am
Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by donjobill: 4:52am On Jun 12, 2018
tobechi74:
feminism cause am

This has to do with individual personality types, not feminism.
Google for meaning and goals of feminism, for better enlightenment on the subject.
Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by donjobill: 5:17am On Jun 12, 2018
biebs:

gaining grounds u say ..... women are losing their importance in family n wait wen men become ur footstool .... jus dream on n end up being a maid

There are basically three possible roles a male can play with a female in any particular relationship :

1) man assumes the role of being the boss, while the lady becomes subordinate.

2) both the man and the woman treat themselves as equal to each other.

3) the lady is boss and the man is her subordinate.

In the privacy of the home, partners are free to choose the role that best suits them, without allowing someone to impose on them how they should live their lives.

Playing one role all time could be boring and monotonous for me. If she's intelligent, open-minded, competent, dominant, and willing, we'll swap roles, either for a short time or long time, it'll depend.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by shaybebaby(f): 7:21am On Jun 12, 2018
donjobill:

There are basically three possible roles a male can play with a female in any particular relationship :

In the privacy of the home, partners are free to choose the role that best suits them, without allowing someone to impose on them how they should live their lives.

Playing one role all time could be boring and monotonous for me. If she's intelligent, open-minded, competent, dominant, and willing, we'll swap roles, either for a short time or long time, it'll depend.

Come to mama ya naughty boy! tongue
Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by donjobill: 3:37pm On Jun 12, 2018
shaybebaby:

*** runs to mama, kneels down ***
cheesy
Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 9:14pm On Jun 12, 2018
donjobill:

I never knew you were this smart.

I must doff my hat for you.
Weldone sir.
Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jun 12, 2018
grin lipsrsealed
Where are Nairaland Alpha Males?
Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by 4FACEADELEKE(m): 9:34pm On Jun 12, 2018
shaybebaby:

yeah thats us baby.i like leting women have control over me in bed.Having control always gets boring to me.The way i will sometimes Bleep her brains out,she also have to Bleep my brains out too.it makes our sex lives and relationship becomes spontaneous,and i also love variety
Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by donjobill: 4:31am On Jun 13, 2018
@ Ladyhippolyta88,

Thanks. I am honoured!

I must confess that I admire ladies who can boldly correct a guy when he does anything that inconveniences them in any way.

I am one of YRH's humble subjects.
My admiration and full respect for you.
Long live our Queen!
smiley
Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 5:57am On Jun 13, 2018
donjobill:
@ Ladyhippolyta88,

Thanks. I am honoured!

I must confess that I admire ladies who can boldly correct a guy when he does anything that inconveniences them in any way.

I am one of YRH's humble subjects.
My admiration and full respect for you.
Long live our Queen!
smiley

Awwwn,thank you so much.
Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by donjobill: 10:33pm On Jun 13, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

Awwwn,thank you so much.

It's a pleasure!
Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jun 13, 2018
I love submissive men.

1 Like

Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by donjobill: 11:55pm On Jun 13, 2018
Colourich:
I love submissive men.

What makes you love them?
Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by Nobody: 1:07am On Jun 14, 2018
donjobill:

What makes you love them?
Cos am dominant. Submissive guys are turned on by dominate ladies, they are always loyal and they worship every ground she walk and yes there are men that want to be dominated by women.

Took me a while to realize I am dominant, but now that I know I have no business with dominate guys/ alpha male rubbish. Submissive guys all the way. They can even call you madam.

1 Like

Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by donjobill: 4:13am On Jun 14, 2018
Colourich:
Cos am dominant. Submissive guys are turned on by dominate ladies, they are always loyal and they worship every ground she walk and yes there are men that want to be dominated by women.

Took me a while to realize I am dominant, but now that I know I have no business with dominate guys/ alpha male rubbish. Submissive guys all the way. They can even call you madam.

True!

By nature, the degree of submissiveness of a guy
may vary from one individual to another. Generally, submissive guys may be divided into three broad groups : the mildly submissive, the moderately submissive and the extreme submissive.
Keep this in mind always whenever you are relating with submissives.

Many ladies do not appear to know that. They mistakenly assume that all submissives must act in the same way.
Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by donjobill: 4:27am On Jun 14, 2018
shaybebaby:

Ma'am, you know your boy is becoming naughty. Instead of you to discipline him at home, in private, to correct his behaviour, knowing quite well that he is incapable of disciplining himself. You failed to do it and allow him to go out.
Now, he has uncontrollably messed up himself with a lady inside a public transport and has become a subject of ridicule in public by many and also been disciplined by many. What an embarrassment to both you and him!

It's not good ooo, Ma'am tongue

Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by Nobody: 7:44am On Jun 14, 2018
donjobill:

True!

By nature, the degree of submissiveness of a guy
may vary from one individual to another. Generally, submissive guys may be divided into three broad groups : the mildly submissive, the moderately submissive and the extreme submissive.
Keep this in mind always whenever you are relating with submissives.

Many ladies do not appear to know that. They mistakenly assume that all submissives must act in the same way.
Thanks for explaining. Most girls prefer to be submissive, but I prefer to be dominant, my relationship with dominant guys all failed cos deep within me I don't enjoy being submissive to them, I don't get turned on by them either. A quick one, Are you dominant or submissive?
Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by Neurotika: 11:39pm On Jun 14, 2018
donjobill:

Ma'am, you know your boy is becoming naughty. Instead of you to discipline him at home, in private, to correct his behaviour, knowing quite well that he is incapable of disciplining himself. You failed to do it and allow him to go out.
Now, he has uncontrollably messed up himself with a lady inside a public transport and has become a subject of ridicule in public by many and also been disciplined by many. What an embarrassment to both you and him!

It's not good ooo, Ma'am tongue

This is cringeworthy. Wish you could return your dick and ask for a pussy. You don't deserve to be called a Man.

1 Like

Re: The Decline Of Alpha Males & The Rise Of The Beta Male In Western Countries by donjobill: 11:45pm On Jun 14, 2018
Colourich:
Thanks for explaining. Most girls prefer to be submissive, but I prefer to be dominant, my relationship with dominant guys all failed cos deep within me I don't enjoy being submissive to them, I don't get turned on by them either. A quick one, Are you dominant or submissive?

.....loading........
wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Mist See For Guys, WARNING!!! These Photos May Get You Salty, Or Angry / Supernatural Beings And Ghosts: Checkout Some Scary Stories From Twitter. / My Girlfriend Doesn't Want Us To Engage In Petting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.